PDA

View Full Version : FCS Now Poll

turbodean
June 1st, 2009, 11:18 AM
Has this poll been posted? I don't recall seeing it and I'm not sure who their 'voters' are. Is anyone familiar with this organization?

2009 FCS Now Preseason Poll Top 25 Rankings

Team, (first place votes), total points
1. Appalachian State (29), 1760
2. Richmond (27), 1756
3. Villanova (15), 1669
4. Northern Iowa (1), 1615
5. Montana (2), 1589
6. New Hampshire, 1362
7. Weber State (1), 1308
8. James Madison, 1212
9. Southern Illinois, 1192
10. Elon, 1089
11. Wofford, 1079
12. South Carolina State, 1072
13. McNeese State, 961
14. South Dakota State, 898
15. Eastern Washington, 794
16. Texas State, 627
17. Maine, 610
18. Jacksonville State, 507
19. Cal Poly, 489
20. William & Mary, 410
21. Central Arkansas, 303
22. Holy Cross, 298
23. Albany, 178
24. Grambling State, 176
25. Montana State, 144

Others receiving votes: Massachusetts, Georgia Southern, Florida A&M, Eastern Kentucky, UC Davis, Delaware, Furman, Yale, Colgate, Liberty, North Dakota State, Tennessee-Martin, Harvard, Samford, Northern Arizona, Northwestern State.

http://fcsnow.com/poll.aspx

93henfan
June 1st, 2009, 11:22 AM
It's not altogether terrible. Bill and Mary is too low. Is Grambling top 25-worthy? I don't know enough about their roster.

andy7171
June 1st, 2009, 11:26 AM
Are we allowed to see the existence of other FCS poll/sites here? The North Korea of fan sites.

danefan
June 1st, 2009, 11:27 AM
FCS Now is a good website. I read it a lot during the season. They have good info on the western teams.

The poll is pretty good, IMO.
I think W&M is too low and McNeese is too high.

As for Grambling, I think they are one of those teams that is justifiable at 20-25. There were a few at that range that are interchangeable.

And this is correctly titled a poll, not a ranking. There are a number of ballots submitted.

andy7171
June 1st, 2009, 11:27 AM
Also, FCSNow doesn't have enough Delaware fans. Invade now!

93henfan
June 1st, 2009, 11:37 AM

Just because Delaware has ten regular posters here and Towson has one does not make Delaware an evil horde. xnonox

MaximumBobcat
June 1st, 2009, 11:53 AM
Finally someone puts TXST in the right place.

jmufan999
June 1st, 2009, 11:59 AM
if wofford's defense has improved even a little bit, they're national title contenders. i haven't seen Elon, but they did get blown out in their last game... to a non-playoff team.... when a win would have sealed a postseason berth. that loss spoke volumes to me, and not in a good way. fewer than 275 yards of total offense gained against a team that was 49th in total defense. someone explain why Elon should be ranked higher than Wofford, because i just don't see it at all. i don't worry about a new QB for Wofford, either... because of the system they run. if it was a spread offense, Texas Tech-style... maybe. plug in a new QB, plug in a new FB, and they're off and running. literally. expect them to lead the nation in total offense.

JoshUCA
June 1st, 2009, 12:03 PM
I agree with danefan, McNeese is too high. I also agree with MaximumBobcat that TX State is about where I thought they would be to start the season. UCA is also in a more resonable location in this poll...although I dont' think we will end up that low! xnodx

Zeus69
June 1st, 2009, 12:06 PM
I some people's view Liberty got "woofed" out of the playoffs... so I would say Elon lost to a team that finished 14/15 in the country( Liberty). Not to mention was ranked in the top 25 all year...

GannonFan
June 1st, 2009, 12:19 PM

Just because Delaware has ten regular posters here and Towson has one does not make Delaware an evil horde. xnonox

And as '89 likes to point out, it is normally the people not associated with the UD fanbase that boost Delaware in the rankings - UD fans tend to be a fairly pessimistic bunch and typically vote UD lower in polls than non-UD people.

Ivytalk
June 1st, 2009, 01:10 PM
FCS Now is a good website. I read it a lot during the season. They have good info on the western teams.

The poll is pretty good, IMO. Because it ranks my Danes and snubs the Ivies altogether!
I think W&M is too low and McNeese is too high.

As for Grambling, I think they are one of those teams that is justifiable at 20-25. There were a few at that range that are interchangeable.

And this is correctly titled a poll, not a ranking. There are a number of ballots submitted.

FIFY!:p

danefan
June 1st, 2009, 01:14 PM
FIFY!:p

xthumbsupxxlolxxlolxxnodxxnodx xmadx

Stalker. ;)

Ivytalk
June 1st, 2009, 01:15 PM
xthumbsupxxlolxxlolxxnodxxnodx xmadx

Stalker. ;)

:D

McNeese75
June 1st, 2009, 01:26 PM
I agree with danefan, McNeese is too high. I also agree with MaximumBobcat that TX State is about where I thought they would be to start the season. UCA is also in a more resonable location in this poll...although I dont' think we will end up that low! xnodx

I agree

andy7171
June 1st, 2009, 01:35 PM
Haven't thought it out that greatly, but a loose top 10 for me...

1. nova
2. Appalachian St.
3. Richmond
4. Montana
5. SIU
6. New Hampshire
7. Wofford
8. UNI
9. Weber St.
10. Delaware

And as '89 likes to point out, it is normally the people not associated with the UD fanbase that boost Delaware in the rankings - UD fans tend to be a fairly pessimistic bunch and typically vote UD lower in polls than non-UD people.

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx :pxpeacex

andy7171
June 1st, 2009, 01:37 PM
Like I said, North Korea.

andy7171
June 1st, 2009, 01:37 PM
Like I said, North Korea.

What?

danefan
June 1st, 2009, 01:42 PM
What?

xlolxxlolxxlolxxnodxxnodxxnodx

Suprised the whole thread is still here.

andy7171
June 1st, 2009, 01:43 PM
xlolxxlolxxlolxxnodxxnodxxnodx

Suprised the whole thread is still here.

5, 4, 3, 2, ....

danefan
June 1st, 2009, 01:44 PM
Wait until the SME Broadcasting preseason poll is done.

andy7171
June 1st, 2009, 01:47 PM
I still have the rep you gave me, but it says N/A. xlolx

GannonFan
June 1st, 2009, 01:59 PM
xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx :pxpeacex

I don't recall saying I was pessimistic. Notice you haven't shown then polls of the other Hens fans who have done a poll who are much more pessimistic than me. But I suppose that would just go against your premise, so why bother??? :p

danefan
June 1st, 2009, 02:31 PM
5, 4, 3, 2, ....

You're all set........http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/gfx_Tangerine/statusicon/user_offline.gif

Once that turns to http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/gfx_Tangerine/statusicon/user_online.gif the thread will be gone.

WMTribe90
June 1st, 2009, 03:17 PM
Lame, show a poster up and posts start disappearing. Too funny.

Hoyadestroya85
June 1st, 2009, 03:41 PM

For example.. I had them in the top five in the beginning of last season (above Villanova) and I detest that team. If there is any group that brings a big homer stink, its the small faction App St. fans who think their ***** doesn't stink.

DLS
June 1st, 2009, 04:25 PM
its the small faction App St. fans who think their ***** doesn't stink.

no i think every app fan pretty much agrees with where we are being placed in the rankings :D

Reign of Terrier
June 1st, 2009, 04:42 PM
if wofford's defense has improved even a little bit, they're national title contenders. i haven't seen Elon, but they did get blown out in their last game... to a non-playoff team.... when a win would have sealed a postseason berth. that loss spoke volumes to me, and not in a good way. fewer than 275 yards of total offense gained against a team that was 49th in total defense. someone explain why Elon should be ranked higher than Wofford, because i just don't see it at all. i don't worry about a new QB for Wofford, either... because of the system they run. if it was a spread offense, Texas Tech-style... maybe. plug in a new QB, plug in a new FB, and they're off and running. literally. expect them to lead the nation in total offense.

Wofford fans are hopeful this year, we rank ourselves at about 15ish just to be conservative. I'll be honest with you, my mind is totally blank in terms of roster facts (I'm in off-season mode). I do know that even though we replace some of our front 7 on D we still return plenty of experience on the DL and lots of talent in the linebacker position. Most of our secondary returns. Offensively our QB, Mitch Allen, is probably more NATURALLY talented than last years starter, Ben Widmyer and slices the defenses on the option a smidge better on the keepers. Our OL replaces 3 starters but we don't see that as a problem. We are kind of thin at RB.

in summary, our system keeps our offense alive and rotating players on defense helps with long term depth.

...back to thread:

I object to any poll that thinks Wofford should be behind anyone in the Socon but App state. Elon will be good this year, I think they'll make the playoffs but as of now I don't see them beating us after our second string sliced and diced their defense last year and with as many on the defense returning.

slycat
June 1st, 2009, 04:53 PM
Dang looks like I missed all the fun.

Switch McNeese and W&M and it works pretty well.

McNeese75
June 1st, 2009, 10:00 PM
Dang looks like I missed all the fun.

Switch McNeese and W&M and it works pretty well.

Moving McNeese makes sense but I don't see why W&M should be #13 with the same record as the Cowboys in 2008.

Mr. Tiger
June 1st, 2009, 10:07 PM
It's not altogether terrible. Bill and Mary is too low. Is Grambling top 25-worthy? I don't know enough about their roster.

Grambling had a young team last year and it took them time to get it together. But they should be pretty good this year. How good? I don't know. But putting them at No. 24 isn't a stretch.

Native
June 1st, 2009, 10:32 PM
Grambling had a young team last year and it took them time to get it together. But they should be pretty good this year. How good? I don't know. But putting them at No. 24 isn't a stretch.

I would like to see SWAC climb into the top 25 on a regular basis, and I agree it's not too much of a stretch for Grambling to be there, but it would not be too much of a stretch for another dozen teams to be there as well.

SWAC has been weaker than MEAC in recent years, rarely beats another FCS team in OOC play, and often struggles against D2 teams. Last year, the lone MEAC playoff entry fared poorly.

So, as for Grambling, I am in the "trust but verify" mode.

andy7171
June 2nd, 2009, 06:28 AM
I don't recall saying I was pessimistic. Notice you haven't shown then polls of the other Hens fans who have done a poll who are much more pessimistic than me. But I suppose that would just go against your premise, so why bother??? :p

I'd drop it if you 93 and 89 would stop taking the bait everytime I infer Delaware fans inflate their pre-season rankings. xrolleyesx :D

phoenix3
June 2nd, 2009, 07:27 AM
I some people's view Liberty got "woofed" out of the playoffs... so I would say Elon lost to a team that finished 14/15 in the country( Liberty). Not to mention was ranked in the top 25 all year...

I would say that Liberty got "Hosed" out of the playoffs ... as in "Blue Hosed." Likewise, I think Elon got "Flamed" out of the playoffs.

GannonFan
June 2nd, 2009, 08:46 AM
I'd drop it if you 93 and 89 would stop taking the bait everytime I infer Delaware fans inflate their pre-season rankings. xrolleyesx :D

Nah, it's like post padding for me - I could reply all day. :p

andy7171
June 2nd, 2009, 09:41 AM
Nah, it's like post padding for me - I could reply all day. :p

Me too.

GannonFan
June 2nd, 2009, 10:04 AM
Me too.

Really??? xlolx

eaglesrthe1
June 2nd, 2009, 10:48 AM
FCS Now claims to be the premier FCS site! Look out!

Pretty decent poll.

slycat
June 2nd, 2009, 05:06 PM
Moving McNeese makes sense but I don't see why W&M should be #13 with the same record as the Cowboys in 2008.

They are in the CAA so it only makes sense.

McNeese75
June 2nd, 2009, 08:15 PM
They are in the CAA so it only makes sense.

xrolleyesx

GREAT, now we get East Coast Bias from Texas State xrotatehx xlolx

Syntax Error
June 2nd, 2009, 08:23 PM
FCS Now claims to be the premier FCS site!xlolx

andy7171
June 3rd, 2009, 09:07 AM
Let's start firing off missles, that'll get us respect!

Bill Hanson
June 3rd, 2009, 09:13 AM
Post edited due to political joke.