PDA

View Full Version : 1989 I-AA National Championship Highlight Video!!!!!!

GaSouthern
May 31st, 2009, 06:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdXJmhAQxYE

Enjoy!

(sorry SF Austin fans :))

TheBisonator
May 31st, 2009, 06:25 PM
If NDSU didn't have retarded people running the university at that time in history (who were scared of DI), it could've been NDSU playing Georgia Southern in some of those 80's I-AA championship games.

Oh well....

GaSouthern
May 31st, 2009, 06:27 PM
HD has not processed yet, it will be up soon.

apaladin
May 31st, 2009, 07:34 PM

Enjoy!

With all due respect if Furman QB Frankie DeBusk hadn't got hurt in the prior game SFA wouldn't have been there and GSU wouldn't have won the NC. FU lost to SFA in the snow when a 2 point conversion failed late in the game. Debusk did not play. In 1989 Furman lost the opener to Clempson by 16 points then reeled off 12 in a row before the Debusk injury. FU would have won back to back NC if not for the untimely injury IMHO.

FCS_pwns_FBS
May 31st, 2009, 07:38 PM
My comments...

1. Good job overall, but a very poor choice of music. That's not a bad song, but it's just not a good song for a highlight video.

2. Marshall went 15-0 in 1996.

3. If Raymond Gross were just a little bit faster, I think he would have been the best option QB ever. He was very underrated.

4. Why did Hamill throw such a dangerous pass when the game was tied near the end?

With all due respect if Furman QB Frankie DeBusk hadn't got hurt in the prior game SFA wouldn't have been there and GSU wouldn't have won the NC. FU lost to SFA in the snow when a 2 point conversion failed late in the game. Debusk did not play. In 1989 Furman lost the opener to Clempson by 16 points then reeled off 12 in a row before the Debusk injury. FU would have won back to back NC if not for the untimely injury IMHO.

I've heard other Furman fans say they thought that was the best team they ever had. It would have been an interesting matchup. I don't think you guys were that much better than us then. That was the second best offense we ever had next to '99, and possibly the best defensive unit.

JohnStOnge
May 31st, 2009, 07:46 PM
For some reason the video is not working for me. Did they show that play where GSU's quarterback fumbled when sacked at a critical point and it was recovered by SFA but the officials blew the call and said he didn't fumble? It was a very key play. SFA was leading by 7 in the second half, GSU's quarterback fumbled (and, yes, it was a fumble) and SFA recovered. With the proper call SFA would've been leading by 7 with the ball in scoring position. The bad call resulted in GSU going on to score a TD and tie the score.

T-Dog
May 31st, 2009, 08:05 PM
I've heard other Furman fans say they thought that was the best team they ever had.

I've heard Furman fans say the same thing about their 2005 team. That's quite the interesting argument right there. I'd like to hear the Furman fans compare their 1988, 1989 and 2005 teams.

And for the record, I have always maintained that if Furman beats App in the 2005 semis, they would have beaten UNI to win it all.

GaSouthern
May 31st, 2009, 08:09 PM
My comments...

1. Good job overall, but a very poor choice of music. That's not a bad song, but it's just not a good song for a highlight video.

I really enjoy guns and roses and it was a song from 1989.

I am aware of Marshall, I quoted wikipedia but should have made a note that they were the only ones up to that point to do it.

GaSouthern
May 31st, 2009, 08:11 PM
HD IS AVAILABLE!

FCS_pwns_FBS
May 31st, 2009, 11:11 PM
For some reason the video is not working for me. Did they show that play where GSU's quarterback fumbled when sacked at a critical point and it was recovered by SFA but the officials blew the call and said he didn't fumble? It was a very key play. SFA was leading by 7 in the second half, GSU's quarterback fumbled (and, yes, it was a fumble) and SFA recovered. With the proper call SFA would've been leading by 7 with the ball in scoring position. The bad call resulted in GSU going on to score a TD and tie the score.

I dug up my copy of the video and found the play that you are referring to. They showed a zoomed in end zone shot of the play and you can clearly see the ball coems out of Raymond Gross' hands while he is still standing. There's no telling what would have happened if that play had been properly called, but even if SFA had won the game, they still had violations that would have invalidated their win.

GaSouthern
June 1st, 2009, 07:12 AM
Glad i'm not the only one who found it interesting that a fan would question a play when the team was playing illegally. GSU wins no matter what.

Now would we have beaten furman? We will never know... and i'm glad :)

OL FU
June 1st, 2009, 07:50 AM
My comments...

3. If Raymond Gross were just a little bit faster, I think he would have been the best option QB ever. He was very underrated.

4. Why did Hamill throw such a dangerous pass when the game was tied near the end?

I've heard other Furman fans say they thought that was the best team they ever had. It would have been an interesting matchup. I don't think you guys were that much better than us then. That was the second best offense we ever had next to '99, and possibly the best defensive unit.

Would have been one hell of a re-match. I would concur that the 89 team was the best FU team, IMHO.

Interesting, but I also think our 85 runner up team to GSU was better than our 88 team.

Of course it is hard to argue with a NC team

OL FU
June 1st, 2009, 07:53 AM
I've heard Furman fans say the same thing about their 2005 team. That's quite the interesting argument right there. I'd like to hear the Furman fans compare their 1988, 1989 and 2005 teams.

And for the record, I have always maintained that if Furman beats App in the 2005 semis, they would have beaten UNI to win it all.

I personally think our 2004 team was better than our 2005 teamxnodx The 2005 team had a lot of offensive fire power but we struggled defensively all year. We had to score lots of points to win. Also, I think 2004 was one of the strongest years in I-AA. CAA had four outstanding teams. Georgia Southern was a powerhouse that year. The winner, JMU, deserves a lot of kudos for winning every playoff game on the road.

Hard to compare teams that are decades apart but for the competitition level I think the 89 team was the best. The difference in the 88 champ team and the 89 team that lost in the snow bowl, the 88 team was all defense. Our 88 offense was only above average when considering they won a national championship. The 89 team was excellent on both sides of the ball. xnodx

OL FU
June 1st, 2009, 07:58 AM

Enjoy!

So after all the FU comments, it was a hell of a year for GSUxthumbsupx

OL FU
June 1st, 2009, 11:36 AM

I'll take a stab at a list of the best.

That's my list.

blueballs
June 1st, 2009, 03:20 PM
All you younger guys need to carefully watch #11 for GSC, Raymond Gross, in that video.

Gross was one of if not the most underrated player in the history of the division. He led GSC to 3 straight NC games and won two and was a late red zone turnover away from winning all three.

He was a maestro of the triple option and all the guy did was win. He didn't have any of the "measurables" scouts talk about except for the two main ones: heart and wins, of which had plenty of both.

FCS_pwns_FBS
June 1st, 2009, 04:57 PM
All you younger guys need to carefully watch #11 for GSC, Raymond Gross, in that video.

Gross was one of if not the most underrated player in the history of the division. He led GSC to 3 straight NC games and won two and was a late red zone turnover away from winning all three.

He was a maestro of the triple option and all the guy did was win. He didn't have any of the "measurables" scouts talk about except for the two main ones: heart and wins, of which had plenty of both.

I agree. that play that starts at 1:00 in this video is a perfect example of Gross' ability. It looked like the defender intentionally let him run right by him, but the reality was that the defender couldn't touch him until it was too late because Gross was very good at timing his pitches. Gross also ran through the hole like he knew the defender would just stand there.

parr90
June 1st, 2009, 07:42 PM

Yeah right my man!