PDA

View Full Version : Montana May Not Be Able To Host Playoff Games

coover
May 30th, 2009, 11:52 PM
Evidently, the NCAA believes there is legal sports gambling in Montana.

http://sports.myway.com/news/05292009/v7589.html

BearsCountry
May 31st, 2009, 01:10 AM
What about the team in Bozeman?

4th and What?
May 31st, 2009, 08:31 AM
Again, this only discusses the FCS playoff games. No one has mentioned skiing, or other championships, do these not apply under NCAA's rule?

Scumdog0331
May 31st, 2009, 09:02 AM
I thought it was the exact opposite, that NCAA won't AWARD postseason competitions (e.g. skiing, basketball) but earned home games (e.g. football, baseball) were still allowed.

4th and What?
May 31st, 2009, 11:13 AM
Well, they include fantasy leagues in their definition of sports wagering. I guess the loophole I have heard about is that there needs to be an entry fee AND a prize. So if you drop one or the other, then it does not fall under their definition.

http://www.ncaapublications.com/Uploads/PDF/Division_1_Manual_2008-09e9e568a1-c269-4423-9ca5-16d6827c16bc.pdf

10.02 DEFINITIONS AND APPLICATIONS
10.02.1 S ports Wagering. [#] Sports wagering includes placing, accepting or soliciting a wager (on a staff
member’s or student-athlete’s own behalf or on the behalf of others) of any type with any individual or organization
on any intercollegiate, amateur or professional team or contest. Examples of sports wagering include, but are
not limited to, the use of a bookmaker or parlay card; Internet sports wagering; auctions in which bids are placed
on teams, individuals or contests; and pools or fantasy leagues in which an entry fee is required and there is an
opportunity to win a prize. (Adopted: 4/26/07 effective 8/1/07)
10.02.2 W ager. [#] A wager is any agreement in which an individual or entity agrees to give up an item of
value (e.g., cash, shirt, dinner) in exchange for the possibility of gaining another item of value. (Adopted: 4/26/07
effective 8/1/07)

Everything I am looking on at the NCAA site, specifies that wagering by any student athlete or staff involved with the department or conference in any way is against the rules. This makes a lot of sense to me.

I cannot find anything though that lays out a rule against a metropolitan area making sports wagering available. So is this just NCAA's response to Delawares proposal of sports wagering? If so, why was Montana an oversight last year if there was no rule on the books yet?

Grizaholic17
May 31st, 2009, 03:46 PM
I believe that the stipulation is that if there is sports gambling in the town itself than it is barred from hosting, but if the gambling is somewhere else in the state ( like one of the reservations), than the NCAA doesn't mess with the rights to a playoff home game.

UNHWildCats
May 31st, 2009, 04:15 PM
I thought it was the exact opposite, that NCAA won't AWARD postseason competitions (e.g. skiing, basketball) but earned home games (e.g. football, baseball) were still allowed.
home football playoff games arent technically earned. Only seeded teams are guaranteed a home game and the seeds are awarded by the selection committee.

Hammerhead
May 31st, 2009, 04:48 PM
The NCAA isn't very consistent with their anti-gambling efforts.

They didn't allow the state to host the men's basketball tournament because of a state lottery game based on NFL scores yet they still let Oregon host regional and national track meets.

CrunchGriz
May 31st, 2009, 04:55 PM
The NCAA isn't very consistent with their anti-gambling efforts.

They didn't allow the state to host the men's basketball tournament because of a state lottery game based on NFL scores yet they still let Oregon host regional and national track meets.

The NCAA has been inconsistent in its "no sports gambling" enforcement in other instances, but in the Oregon case I think they were consistent, because Oregon was forced to kill its NFL sports betting before the NCAA would award them any national or regional tournaments.

T-Dog
May 31st, 2009, 05:34 PM
I would LOVE if a big NCAA state like North Carolina, California, Texas or Florida legalized gambling. They would just look at the NCAA and say "I dare you to do anything".

For example, if North Carolina did so (don't get your hopes up), the ACC would give a collective middle finger to the NCAA if they threatened to ban events from the state. They've already laughed at the NCAA by scheduling their baseball championship in Myrtle Beach, because in South Carolina there is a "ban" on all NCAA sanctioned post season events for the Confederate Flag deal.

4th and What?
May 31st, 2009, 06:05 PM
You won't see a southern state legalize gambling anytime soon. California would be your best bet, through the shear amount of money they could make (and they need), though NJ would have to win their suit against the federal ban first.

katstrapper
May 31st, 2009, 07:39 PM
Then how is the Las Vegas Bowl allowed to go on in Nevada?

tribe_pride
May 31st, 2009, 08:18 PM
I don't think that bowl games are affiliated with the NCAA.

GOKATS
May 31st, 2009, 09:00 PM
I don't think that bowl games are affiliated with the NCAA.

Exactly, neither are conference basketball tournaments, etc.