PDA

View Full Version : FINALLY! UNH Is Getting A Real Website

UNHWildCats
May 28th, 2009, 11:14 PM
WEB BUDDIES: UNH announced yesterday that it has partnered with PrestoSports to handle its athletics' web site.

A new site is due to launch this summer and will have a new design and features including an interactive live statistics platform, links to tickets, promotion information and countdowns to upcoming UNH events.

PrestoSports is a technology provider to collegiate athletic departments.

http://unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=Allen+Lessels%27+UNH+Noteboo k%3a+Taking+his+best+shot&articleId=00fa32cf-e537-4b53-b9b0-482216c1027d

Here is an example of the work PrestoSports does....

http://www.suseagulls.com/sports/fball/index

Wildcat80
May 29th, 2009, 05:13 AM
I hope this includes added resources to keep the news & content updated regularly.

dgreco
May 29th, 2009, 06:07 AM
dont be too excited! Presto did the ugly Bryant website.

TexasTerror
May 29th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Presto Sports is not one of the major providers of web sites out there, so I am not as familiar with them as I am JumpTV, CSTV or Sidearm.

Either way, good luck UNH...

danefan
May 29th, 2009, 08:30 AM
I've learned one thing about university athletic websites - its onlÝ as good as how much money you have to throw at it.

GannonFan
May 29th, 2009, 09:27 AM
I've never been impressed with some of the packaged sites - CSTV, for instance, is not terribly well done most of the time. Haven't heard of these guys, but it still requires a lot of school involvement to make them good.

dgreco
May 29th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Presto Sports is not one of the major providers of web sites out there, so I am not as familiar with them as I am JumpTV, CSTV or Sidearm.

Either way, good luck UNH...

Presto is really big in the Northeast I think. I would say a majority are through Presto. Being Based in Maryland, I believe, probably helps them.

mainejeff
May 29th, 2009, 11:19 AM
Presto is really big in the Northeast I think. I would say a majority are through Presto. Being Based in Maryland, I believe, probably helps them.

BC, UConn, Maine, UMass and URI are all with CBS Sports (CSTV).

NU Hound29
May 29th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Vermont is on their .edu website

NU built their own, BU is also CBS Sports

CCSU, Hartford, Quinnipiac are all Jump.TV

danefan
May 29th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Albany is a Jump.Tv and it sucks.

Streaming video sucks, livestats suck, formatting sucks.

But there's no telling how much of those problems have to do with our extremely thin SI department or whether it has to do with Jump.tv itself.

dgreco
May 29th, 2009, 12:29 PM
BC, UConn, Maine, UMass and URI are all with CBS Sports (CSTV).

NE-10, 90% of all NE10 schools, NESCAC, Commonwealth Conference, Bryant, UNH, ECC, ECC Schools, etc..

Just go to the website and read the list of schools. They actually have a surprising amount of clients. I would say they might have more than SideArm, and I think there websites are general better than Sidearm.

TexasTerror
May 29th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Streaming video sucks, livestats suck, formatting sucks.

But there's no telling how much of those problems have to do with our extremely thin SI department or whether it has to do with Jump.tv itself.

Live stats falls on JumpTV. They are like DOS while CSTV is Windows. It's going to take time to catch up and they surely are.

Streaming video typically falls on those who put it together on your school's end. It is not hard. Typically one camera and a capable cameraman can do a better job than some schools that have three camera.

Formatting - depends on the school and how they worked to line it up. I am a big fan of some JumpTV web sites, not so much others - which are overly cluttered.

dgreco
May 29th, 2009, 01:04 PM
UNC has a really nice Presto website

http://www.uncbears.com/landing/index

danefan
May 29th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Live stats falls on JumpTV. They are like DOS while CSTV is Windows. It's going to take time to catch up and they surely are.

Streaming video typically falls on those who put it together on your school's end. It is not hard. Typically one camera and a capable cameraman can do a better job than some schools that have three camera.

Formatting - depends on the school and how they worked to line it up. I am a big fan of some JumpTV web sites, not so much others - which are overly cluttered.

Albany's is way too cluttered. That's my main beef about the formatting. That and the fact that it seems to be laid out to fill a screen that is more tall than wide.

aceinthehole
May 29th, 2009, 01:19 PM
CCSU first started with its own site, then was using CSTV and finally switched to JumpTV a few season ago. I honestly think both private providers are very good.

But as other have said, if your SID doesn't have info to keep it updated and loaded with content it will just sit there. These companies are just templates and providers. If a site sucks its usually the school's fault. I've been pleased with CCSU site by both providers mainly because our SID does a good job with content and updates.

The one thing about JumpTV that sucks is LiveStats. It is a joke. A huge downgrade from CSTV.

For the record, I found out directly from a school scource that we made the switch from CSTV to Jump because of the cost! It was a no brainer from a budget perspective. Most of the NEC schools are now on JumpTv. Overall our fans have been very happy with the quality of our programming on Jump.

TexasTerror
May 29th, 2009, 01:20 PM
Albany's is way too cluttered. That's my main beef about the formatting. That and the fact that it seems to be laid out to fill a screen that is more tall than wide.

That falls on the people who worked with JumpTV. The sites do not have to be cluttered. Just look at GoBearkats.com - at least in my opinion.

http://www.gobearkats.com/

danefan
May 29th, 2009, 01:23 PM
I don't get why the Jump.Tv template runs vertically instead of filling a screen horizontally. Its a total waste of screen space on the right hand side. Is that just my resolution?

CCSU:

BearsCountry
May 29th, 2009, 06:36 PM
I don't get why the Jump.Tv template runs vertically instead of filling a screen horizontally. Its a total waste of screen space on the right hand side. Is that just my resolution?

CCSU:

You have a large resolution. Majority make websites that fit the most common size screen thats why it looks that way. My grief is why they dont center it.

Also the content is driven by the SID and the time they put in it. Since we got our new SID our website has improved greatly and I expect it to be revamped soon as well.

dgreco
May 29th, 2009, 07:09 PM
You have a large resolution. Majority make websites that fit the most common size screen thats why it looks that way. My grief is why they dont center it.

Also the content is driven by the SID and the time they put in it. Since we got our new SID our website has improved greatly and I expect it to be revamped soon as well.

I always thought the JumpTV tried to mimic the CSTV stes which have the right side left blank with the school logos and stuff.

Husky Alum
May 31st, 2009, 07:31 AM
Our Sports Information Director just realized you don't need that purple fluid to make copies of things.

The people he has working for him are young and innovative, but the man who runs the ship still thnks there are 8 daily newspapers in Boston.

Uncle Buck
May 31st, 2009, 09:18 AM
Hofstra just switched with Jumptv to upgrade their site. I agree that it is a bit busy and the layout isn't ideal, but for what we had, this is a HUGE improvement.

I expect they will continue to make improvements as it just went live earlier this month. I can already see some additions with the rosters etc. that were not done on the old site.

SuperJon
May 31st, 2009, 09:23 AM
Liberty does their website in-house. It's very well done and during the school year we're posting multiple items a day on there.

slycat
May 31st, 2009, 11:38 AM
Hope it turns out good. I remember back in 2003 when Texas State, then SWT had a crappy athletic website. With the name change came a switch to the CSTV format and its been great ever since.

TexasTerror
May 31st, 2009, 11:57 AM
Hope it turns out good. I remember back in 2003 when Texas State, then SWT had a crappy athletic website. With the name change came a switch to the CSTV format and its been great ever since.

I like the recent upgrade to your web site, though I think it is extremely busy at the bottom of the web site, to the point all that stuff just gets lost in the mix.