PDA

View Full Version : New Liberty coach

griz37
December 2nd, 2005, 12:44 PM
Not sure if this has been posted or not but Liberty has hire a new head coach.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2244946 (http://)

LYNCHBURG, Va. -- Danny Rocco was hired Friday as Liberty University's football coach after six seasons on the staff at Virginia.

Rocco, most recently the associate head coach for the Cavaliers, replaces Ken Karcher. He was fired last month near the end of the Flames' worst-ever 1-10 season.

"Danny Rocco is a perfect fit for Liberty University in every way," the Rev. Jerry Falwell, university chancellor and president, said in a statement.

Falwell would like to see Liberty move to Division I-A within 10 years, and said he was certain Rocco could reach that goal after first making the Flames a dominant I-AA team.

The 45-year-old Rocco coordinated Virginia's recruiting efforts in 2001 and 2002. He came to Virginia in 2000, after one season with the New York Jets.

His 19-year college career included positions at Maryland and Texas. Terms of Rocco's contract were not disclosed.

SuperJon
December 2nd, 2005, 12:46 PM
It's estimated 5 years at 150K a year.

rokamortis
December 2nd, 2005, 12:53 PM
It's estimated 5 years at 150K a year.

If this is true, I would think that this makes him the highest paid coach in the Big South. I know Bennett's contract calls for automatic raises at 10k per year until it expires - I think he was about 120k this year. Bennett also made sure to include provisions for his assistants.

dbackjon
December 2nd, 2005, 01:03 PM
Falwell would like to see Liberty move to Division I-A within 10 years, and said he was certain Rocco could reach that goal after first making the Flames a dominant I-AA team.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

griz37
December 2nd, 2005, 01:16 PM
God himself will come down & give Falwell a big, sloppy wet kiss before Liberty is comptetive in Division I football (I-A or I-AA).

colgate13
December 2nd, 2005, 01:21 PM

My sentiments exactly... let's worry about getting 'good' first, before dominate I-AA and eventual I-A get thrown around!

Tribe4SF
December 2nd, 2005, 01:21 PM

I think that reaction will be typical of most who know the program and situation at Liberty. Rocco will have his hands full producing a playoff team at Liberty. The school has a very small fan base, and will need to continue to pour money into the program to make progress. I assume Rocco's religious beliefs are in line with the school, which is essential to avoid friction with the Liberty community. The recruiting limitations will always be there. Being a Christian, and being comfortable at Liberty, can be very different things.

I wonder what percentage of the Liberty community shares Falwell's vision of going I-A? Has anyone spoken out against it? Has Liberty really studied the feasability of this, or is it just Jerry's vision?

Tealblood
December 2nd, 2005, 01:47 PM
As a fellow conf member the folks at Liberty may argue this, but money has never been the problem. Being christian is not a problem I consider myself to be one. The folks(leadership) at Liberty are not just christian they are I beleive evangelical which I equate to Christian squared or perhaps even cubed. What passes for christian in most of the country is not christian enough on Liberty Mountain. My point is the money ain't the problem. They and the church that supports the school have plenty of cash its how they use it and then back to the christian thing.

AppGuy04
December 2nd, 2005, 01:56 PM
BYU has no problems with their religious affiliation

dungeonjoe
December 2nd, 2005, 01:57 PM
As a fellow conf member the folks at Liberty may argue this, but money has never been the problem. Being christian is not a problem I consider myself to be one. The folks(leadership) at Liberty are not just christian they are I beleive evangelical which I equate to Christian squared or perhaps even cubed. What passes for christian in most of the country is not christian enough on Liberty Mountain. My point is the money ain't the problem. They and the church that supports the school have plenty of cash its how they use it and then back to the christian thing.
:confused: :confused:

dungeonjoe
December 2nd, 2005, 01:59 PM

Neither does Wofford or Duke

AppGuy04
December 2nd, 2005, 02:00 PM
Neither does Wofford or Duke

but of the 4, Wofford is probably the best

kinda odd...

texcap
December 2nd, 2005, 02:02 PM

Last time I looked Notre Dame was still catholic, too!

dungeonjoe
December 2nd, 2005, 02:04 PM
but of the 4, Wofford is probably the best

kinda odd...

I guessing you were only talking football-- Duke basketball has been known to win a game or two... :)

AppGuy04
December 2nd, 2005, 02:10 PM
I guessing you were only talking football-- Duke basketball has been known to win a game or two... :)

correct, but being an NC State grad, I try to forget that Dookies

easily done during football season xlolx , but not basketball :mad:

dungeonjoe
December 2nd, 2005, 02:11 PM
correct, but being an NC State grad, I try to forget that Dookies

easily done during football season xlolx , but not basketball :mad:

Since you graduated from NC State, what is your tie to APP?

Tealblood
December 2nd, 2005, 02:15 PM
Don't misunderstand my comments i wasn't speaking ill of Falwell or Liberty. I was just simply saying that that particular brand of beliefs is not my bag. If it is yours I am sorry, I didn't mean to offend. To go to Liberty is not just going to a church school it is a lot more. More than the average bear is willing to put up with.

Tealblood
December 2nd, 2005, 02:19 PM
For what its worth my mom is a Duke grad. I am pretty sure she never had to sign any statements pertaining to drinking, smoking, sex, or any other scandolous behaivior. I may go to hell for mentioning my mother and sex in the same post. Sorry

OL FU
December 2nd, 2005, 02:19 PM
My question is why in heaven (notice I said heaven) does Falwell care? I am asking seriously. Is it ego or does he think the I-A glamour will attract more students add to the credibility of the school? I realize this is not my issue. It maybe that I cannot seperate Falwell the preacher from Falwell the school president but having a I-A football power house would not seem to be one of his priorities.

Tell me what I am missing?

OL FU
December 2nd, 2005, 02:23 PM
For what its worth my mom is a Duke grad. I am pretty sure she never had to sign any statements pertaining to drinking, smoking, sex, or any other scandolous behaivior. I may go to hell for mentioning my mother and sex in the same post. Sorry

There are religious institutions and there are RELIGIOUS INSTITUTIONS.

Wofford, Duke, Notre Dame, etc being little r's. (and in the past and still to some degree even though we dropped the affiliation, Furman).

I consider big R's to be one in my back yard. Bob Jones. Does Liberty fall closer to that category?

AppGuy04
December 2nd, 2005, 02:26 PM
Since you graduated from NC State, what is your tie to APP?

grad school, and my girl goes there as well

dungeonjoe
December 2nd, 2005, 02:27 PM
Don't misunderstand my comments i wasn't speaking ill of Falwell or Liberty. I was just simply saying that that particular brand of beliefs is not my bag. If it is yours I am sorry, I didn't mean to offend. To go to Liberty is not just going to a church school it is a lot more. More than the average bear is willing to put up with.

thanks for clarifying tealblood, I just wasn't following. I once was blind, but now I see. :)

AppGuy04
December 2nd, 2005, 02:28 PM
My question is why in heaven (notice I said heaven) does Falwell care? I am asking seriously. Is it ego or does he think the I-A glamour will attract more students add to the credibility of the school? I realize this is not my issue. It maybe that I cannot seperate Falwell the preacher from Falwell the school president but having a I-A football power house would not seem to be one of his priorities.

my thoughts exactly, i always thought that was their last priority

dungeonjoe
December 2nd, 2005, 02:30 PM

As far as I know there was only one woman who became a mother without sex... I don't think they are a regular poster to AGS though. :) :) :)

Tealblood
December 2nd, 2005, 02:31 PM
I understand that the R at Liberty is not only in caps but underlined and in italics to boot

Tealblood
December 2nd, 2005, 02:33 PM
My guess would be that Notre Dame would be a small catholic school in the midwest that no one had heard of were it not for this thing we call football

Tealblood
December 2nd, 2005, 02:34 PM
Yes I think Bob Jones and Liberty are on pretty much the same wavelength

dungeonjoe
December 2nd, 2005, 02:34 PM

"Render unto Cesear the things that are Ceasar's and render unto God the things that are God's"

some think that the things that are God's include a national championship :)

Sports is just another field of competetion

JohnStOnge
December 2nd, 2005, 02:41 PM
Doesn't BYU have a Code of Contact thing too? Kind of hard to explain Jim McMahon though.

OL FU
December 2nd, 2005, 02:42 PM
"Render unto Cesear the things that are Ceasar's and render unto God the things that are God's"

some think that the things that are God's include a national championship :)

Sports is just another field of competetion

I understand. I have no problem with a religious institution with a good football program. See my avatar. I also could see the PR aspect for a school like Liberty. I guess because of my upbringing I have a difficult time thinking that it would be one of Falwell's priorities. Then on the other hand, I have a difficult time understanding most of Falwell's priorities :D

PS, as hinted at before, many think God has a few NC's under his belt already @ Notre Dame. :)

AppGuy04
December 2nd, 2005, 02:45 PM
Doesn't BYU have a Code of Contact thing too? Kind of hard to explain Jim McMahon though.

no its not

you ever been to a christian school, I attended one for one year in highschool and it was 100 times worse than public school, sex and drugs were rampant, obviously only one school but still, i've heard stories of others, seems pretty common

OL FU
December 2nd, 2005, 02:52 PM
no its not

you ever been to a christian school, I attended one for one year in highschool and it was 100 times worse than public school, sex and drugs were rampant, obviously only one school but still, i've heard stories of others, seems pretty common

I am sure you can find anything at any type of school, but I don't think that is typical. I am sure that BJU has its share of "problems", but I would almost bet you sex drugs and alcohol are much less on that campus than others. Not non-existent, but pretty much so.

If a BJU grad is going to go crazy it is after graduation and then they try to catch up on the experience they missed in their college days.

AppGuy04
December 2nd, 2005, 02:53 PM
I am sure you can find anything at any type of school, but I don't think that is typical. I am sure that BJU has its share of "problems", but I would almost bet you sex drugs and alcohol are much less on that campus than others. Not non-existent, but pretty much so.

If a BJU grad is going to go crazy it is after graduation and then they try to catch up on the experience they missed in their college days.

so they become a drunk after they get a job? :confused:

seems a little xidiotx to me

OL FU
December 2nd, 2005, 02:58 PM
so they become a drunk after they get a job? :confused:

seems a little xidiotx to me

Just my experience with Bob Jones grads. and the vast majority of them do not change their behavior after they get out of school. The majority are committed to their beliefs and the behavior that is required. A very small minority do they college thing after college. But that is when it occurs.

Tribe4SF
December 2nd, 2005, 03:08 PM
My opinion of Jerry Falwell is that he is a man of significant ego. The desire for a high profile seems evident in many of his actions, and his direct involvement in hiring Rocco does not surprise me. At most schools, of course, this is the job of the Athletic Director. It seems odd to me that an AD wasn't employed prior to hiring a new coach. As an organizational analyst, I would suspect that the lines of authority and responsibility at Liberty are frequently dotted, rather than solid.

On the Liberty messageboard, there seems to be widespread support for the move to I-A (or at least acceptance of the goal). I'm still curious how the goal was established, and whether Liberty studied the feasability. Sitting in a small town half way between Charlottesville and Blacksburg presents demographic issues of significant magnitude.

AppGuy04
December 2nd, 2005, 03:11 PM
A 1-10 team talking about I-A just sounds ridiculous :confused:

colgate13
December 2nd, 2005, 03:19 PM
A 1-10 team talking about I-A just sounds ridiculous :confused:

Certainly agreed. But I would venture they are not alone. There are plenty of fans/schools that suffer dellusions of grandeur. Buffalo's a great example. I believe they went I-A in 1999. They had just one winning season in the 11 years that preceeded that move. It was a whopping 8-3 in 1996 with wins against Colgate, Lehigh, Cornell, Edinboro and New Haven. Most year's win totals were 4 or less. Wonder why they still suck after going I-A? :p

DinoDex200
December 2nd, 2005, 03:38 PM
I wonder what percentage of the Liberty community shares Falwell's vision of going I-A? Has anyone spoken out against it? Has Liberty really studied the feasability of this, or is it just Jerry's vision?

I don't think anyone speaks out against Jerry at Liberty. It ain't your typical land of PC Academia. If they did speak out, I am sure they aren't there anymore! :)

Falwell's logic is that there are many more Evangelicals than there are Mormons, and they could harness that fan base. Of course, they are scattered all over the country, while Mormons are centered heavily in Utah. On top of that, most Evangelicals classify themselves in a variety of denominations...but I digress

IIRC, McMahon's time at BYU was verrry rocky, and I don't believe he actually graduated. He may even have been expelled after his eligibility was up. A little too much :beerchug: xprost2x & xazzx xsmoochx xazzx

OL FU
December 2nd, 2005, 04:01 PM
I don't think anyone speaks out against Jerry at Liberty. It ain't your typical land of PC Academia. If they did speak out, I am sure they aren't there anymore! :)

Falwell's logic is that there are many more Evangelicals than there are Mormons, and they could harness that fan base. Of course, they are scattered all over the country, while Mormons are centered heavily in Utah. On top of that, most Evangelicals classify themselves in a variety of denominations...but I digress

IIRC, McMahon's time at BYU was verrry rocky, and I don't believe he actually graduated. He may even have been expelled after his eligibility was up. A little too much :beerchug: xprost2x & xazzx xsmoochx xazzx

And I would dare say that Evangelicals are much less inclined to follow Falwell than Mormons to the follow the Salt Lake City Church. ( however, I do say this without much knowledge of the Mormon authority structure). I am not saying that Evengelical's would materially disagree with him, but just because he has a college that plays football doesn't mean it is a magnate for football playing Evangelicals. If that is his logic then it is possible that his ego is blurring reality (I have a feeling that charge has been levelled at him before). Just MHO.

colonel84
December 2nd, 2005, 04:03 PM
Rocco 1st needs to understand that he's already DI - here's his quote from dailyprogress.com:

"[Liberty] is a I-AA program who is in the process of making a commitment to try to go to Division I and Dr. Falwell has a vision, basically a 10-year plan."

GET A CLUE!!!!!!

IaaScribe
December 2nd, 2005, 04:06 PM
Don't mind the mindless self-promotion, but here's a more complete story on the issue (me being the author):

News & Advance story (http://www.newsadvance.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=LNA%2FMGArticle%2FLNA_BasicArti cle&c=MGArticle&cid=1128768482371&path=!sports)

On to the issue of Jerry and why he would care about football. He sees it a vehicle to give the university legitimacy. The school is 34 years old and has only been DI for about 17 or 18 years, and he's ready to see it make a significant jump. Thus the interest. (Please, I'm just the messenger. I don't profess any love for the man. I just cover his school for the fishwrap in town.)

I asked him about making the decision himself versus using a committee to make the hire, and he said he really didn't like committees, since the last committee recommended Ken Karcher, who was fired after going 21-46 in six seasons.

As for the I-A aspirations, I think it's a desperation move. I think he and others around the school realize the Big South is going to have a lot of trouble attracting a sixth member and getting a postseason bid any time soon. Being a I-A independent can be more attractive than residing in a I-AA conference with little to no hope of ever going to the postseason.

If App, N.C. A&T and others continue to talk about going I-A, there could be a built-in conference for the new I-As. Just conjecture on my part, nothing concrete, so don't take it as such.

I sat through all 11 miserable games this season, and I can tell you a couple of things about Liberty. One, there is talent there, especially at the skill positions. Two, half the players quit on Karcher. About 50 percent of the players despised him, 50 percent liked him. Rocco is a good hire, a good man from a good family. There is less work for him than some may realize. Despite the 1-10 mark this year, Liberty isn't that far away from competing. It needs lots of help on the lines and in the secondary, but the skill players are very talented.

CML

Crashola
December 2nd, 2005, 06:27 PM

It gets even better. "I'm 72," he told The News & Advance of Lynchburg. "I don't have much time to get the football program in the Top 20."

Is he referring to the I-A Top 20?

MarkCCU
December 2nd, 2005, 07:01 PM
God himself will come down & give Falwell a big, sloppy wet kiss before Liberty is comptetive in Division I football (I-A or I-AA).
Falwell, isn't he the guy that said one of the Teletubbies was a FLAMEr??? A new coach, and becoming the best in IAA, I do not see that happening anytime soon. But 10 years is a good cushion to make it happen. :cool:

dungeonjoe
December 2nd, 2005, 08:23 PM
It gets even better. "I'm 72," he told The News & Advance of Lynchburg. "I don't have much time to get the football program in the Top 20."

Is he referring to the I-A Top 20?

:eyebrow: Hmmm... guess they don't have cable TV in heaven or

HELL=watching your favorite football team finish 1-10 forever.

SuperJon
December 2nd, 2005, 10:59 PM
Ok, you guys were talking about the rules and stuff at Liberty. Here's a brief run down of things that are required at LU.

1) No females in male dorms and no males in female dorms.
2) Must be in your dorm (or at least on the hall) by 12:30am.
3) No rated R movies.
4) There's a dress code to class. Decent pants (khakis, jeans) and a colored shirt.
5) Must go to convocation three times a week.
6) Must be 21 to live off campus or receive "permission" if under 21

Those are the obsticles Rocco has to overcome.

There's talent there, that's evident. They just need someone to do something with it.

As for the I-A thing, I think that's rediculous. Then again, I think Falwell said he wanted something like 50,000 students between distance education and on campus students.