Go Lehigh TU owl
May 27th, 2009, 10:07 PM
That looks like a solid Top 25 to me.

MaroonDoom
May 28th, 2009, 07:15 AM
UTM from the OVC should be tough.

andy7171
May 28th, 2009, 07:42 AM
Interesting, there must not be that many Delaware fans in the Athlon poll.

89Hen
May 28th, 2009, 07:54 AM
Why's that? I guarantee you more non-Delaware fans voted for the Hens in our poll. xnodx

andy7171
May 28th, 2009, 07:55 AM
Why's that? I guarantee you more non-Delaware fans voted for the Hens in our poll. xnodx

Sometimes it's just too easy riling you and GF up. :p

93henfan

Andy has Henis-envy.

TexasTerror

This poll is more like one (or maybe two - if lucky) person's thoughts re: FCS. This is far from being a "poll"...

andy7171
May 28th, 2009, 07:56 AM
Andy has Henis-envy.

No I have Hens-hate. :D

89Hen
May 28th, 2009, 08:05 AM
No I have Hens-hate. :D
Understandable. 2005 it sure seemed like Towson was on the verge when they took the Hens down in front of a record crowd at the U and then beat them again in 2006. All the Patriot fans said "You can have them." when they left the PL and I thought my prediction of "Give Towson 3 years in the CAA and they'll be a very good program" was coming true. Andy, I am honestly disappointed in the Tigers, I am still rooting for your team to take the next steps. xpeacex

smallcollegefbfan
May 28th, 2009, 08:23 AM
I would drop UT Martin. They lost two key players this off-season to suspensions.

1. Appalachian State
2. Richmond
3. Northern Iowa
4. Villanova
5. James Madison
6. Montana
7. Weber State
8. Southern Illinois
9. New Hampshire
10. Wofford
11. William & Mary
12. South Carolina State
13. Jacksonville State
14. Elon
15. Massachusetts
16. Central Arkansas
17. Maine
18. Holy Cross
19. Cal Poly
20. Tennessee-Martin
21. Grambling State
22. Texas State
23. Harvard
24. Georgia Southern
25. Eastern Washington

dgreco
May 28th, 2009, 08:30 AM
its far from perfect, but not a lot of complaints. I am a little surprised UMass is getting so much attention. They had a decent season and lose Coen.

TTUEagles
May 28th, 2009, 08:33 AM
Wow. Surprised to see 2 OVC teams ranked and one as high as they are. And, no OVC teams in the AGS top 25 preseason poll...Does anyone have any more information on the UT-Martin suspensions?

andy7171
May 28th, 2009, 08:38 AM
Understandable. 2005 it sure seemed like Towson was on the verge when they took the Hens down in front of a record crowd at the U and then beat them again in 2006. All the Patriot fans said "You can have them." when they left the PL and I thought my prediction of "Give Towson 3 years in the CAA and they'll be a very good program" was coming true. Andy, I am honestly disappointed in the Tigers, I am still rooting for your team to take the next steps. xpeacex

Actually the only reason I somewhat dislike Delaware is because of 1993 playoff selection.
My real H8, is focused solely on the purple and gold dooks.

New coach, new attitude. And while I don't like Gordy getting treated the way he did, a change was needed to be made, especially the turn the offense had taken. Ambrose's first 3 years should show the direction the program is headed.

Eaglesrus
May 28th, 2009, 08:52 AM
I am really surprised to see us (GSU) showing up in all these polls. At this point I am optimistic about improving on our 6 - 5 season, but I guess not as much as others.

smallcollegefbfan
May 28th, 2009, 08:54 AM
Wow. Surprised to see 2 OVC teams ranked and one as high as they are. And, no OVC teams in the AGS top 25 preseason poll...Does anyone have any more information on the UT-Martin suspensions?

I do but I can't say the details. I will say the names are Roren Thomas and Dontrell Miller. If someone knows what happened, please don't post it. Miller won't be back and Thomas is 50/50 to join the team again. Both were definite All-OVC players this year so that hurts.

I don't like airing the dirty laundry of others. Any member in the media who does is just out for themselves and does not care about these players.

terrierbob
May 28th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Surprised that Wofford and SC State are so high.

smallcollegefbfan
May 28th, 2009, 08:58 AM

I am glad to see someone giving SC State props. I am not hating on Wofford but I would rank them ahead of you guys because they are returning so much and you lost a ton. I really think Wofford is going to be top 5-6 in 2010 after Mitch Allen has a year under his belt. He will be a very good QB, IMO.

danefan
May 28th, 2009, 09:04 AM
Not a bad ranking.

My quips:
Holy Cross is too high (should be 23-25)
UMass shouldn't be ranked above Maine; and
Harvard shouldn't be ranked at all.

phillyAPP
May 28th, 2009, 09:08 AM
I am really surprised to see us (GSU) showing up in all these polls. At this point I am optimistic about improving on our 6 - 5 season, but I guess not as much as others.

GSU is a few great plays away from a 3 lose season 8-3 or 9-3. GSU will be in the hunt this year or next. They have the coach and talent. Its a matter of time before GSU fans revert to their LOUD position in the SoCon.

All of my statement is made with the idea that GSU keeps their coach for the next few years. He is that good !!

GaSouthern
May 28th, 2009, 09:10 AM
Pretty good poll to me, but was this actually a poll?

phillyAPP
May 28th, 2009, 09:11 AM

Wofford and SCSU will be deserving by mid-season. SCSU has talent. Wofford has coaching !!!

danefan
May 28th, 2009, 09:33 AM
Actually now looking at it again there is a glaring mistake:

SDSU should be ranked, especially when you include teams like Harvard, Grambling and Holy Cross.

Eaglesrus
May 28th, 2009, 09:44 AM
GSU is a few great plays away from a 3 lose season 8-3 or 9-3. GSU will be in the hunt this year or next. They have the coach and talent. Its a matter of time before GSU fans revert to their LOUD position in the SoCon.

All of my statement is made with the idea that GSU keeps their coach for the next few years. He is that good !!

Thanks for the good thoughts and your first sentence is certainly true, but the pessimists among our fan base would say that we were also a few plays away from a 7 or 8 loss season, and would point out that we lost all four of our home conference games. While many of us are convinced that you are also correct about our coach, a few always say that he has yet to prove himself at all at our level. I personally don't see how they can say that when the guy came in and went 7 - 4 in 2007 when the team was basically in total disarray, but everyone knows that we have a small element that seems to think that just by virtue of having the name GA Southern on our jerseys we should win every game we play. Anyway, I have hopes of returning to the playoffs this year, but not a lot of confidence at this point.

smallcollegefbfan
May 28th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Pretty good poll to me, but was this actually a poll?

Pretty sure this was one man's opinion and not a vote, thus I doubt it was a poll. I wonder who did it though? xconfusedx

MaroonDoom
May 28th, 2009, 12:10 PM
UTM info.--04/29/09 - Weakley County. Three men charged with felony assault in the beating of UT Martin student Tyler Turner on March 26 were in General Sessions court in Dresden Wednesday afternoon. Former UTM football player Dontrell Miller pled guilty this afternoon to the misdemeanor charge of simple assault. Former University football player Roren Thomas was also dismissed from the University on April 1. Police said he watched Turner's beating but did nothing to stop it. Thursday, his charges of criminal responsibility for another were dismissed. Miller, Blount, and Thomas all declined to comment. University Spokesperson Bud Grimes says Miller and Thomas may appeal their dismissal from the school in two years.

Ivytalk
May 28th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Not a bad ranking.

My quips:
Holy Cross is too high (should be 23-25)
UMass shouldn't be ranked above Maine; and
Harvard shouldn't be ranked at all.

Kwitcherbellyakin.xrolleyesx

Do you have this board programmed so anytime anyone says something nice about an Ivy team, you jump in? Honestly, you're as predictable as Old Faithful.

And, as I said, I didn't rank any Ivy team on the AGS Poll.And I didn't rank Albany, either...but not out of spite.xcoolx

danefan
May 28th, 2009, 03:15 PM

Do you have this board programmed so anytime anyone says something nice about an Ivy team, you jump in? Honestly, you're as predictable as Old Faithful.

And, as I said, I didn't rank any Ivy team on the AGS Poll.And I didn't rank Albany, either...but not out of spite.xcoolx

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

See I'm usually saying it to new people though......and I like your consistency.

I don't begrudge people that don't put Albany in the poll. I just like to point out voting inconsistencies. The biggest inconsistency people make on here is voting for Ivy and PL teams and completely ignoring the fact that the top of the NEC = the top of the Ivy and PL and has for about 3 years now.

And BTW, you'd be surprised how many little green chicklets I get every time I call someone out on their illogical Ivy and PL voting. xthumbsupx

CopperCat
May 28th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Can somebody make a case for why EWU is even in a poll at this point? With all the crap that has gone down there in the past year I would think that they would have some issues precluding them from preseason recognition.

(ScreaminEagle you don't count)

Ivytalk
May 28th, 2009, 04:17 PM
xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

See I'm usually saying it to new people though......and I like your consistency.

I don't begrudge people that don't put Albany in the poll. I just like to point out voting inconsistencies. The biggest inconsistency people make on here is voting for Ivy and PL teams and completely ignoring the fact that the top of the NEC = the top of the Ivy and PL and has for about 3 years now.

And BTW, you'd be surprised how many little green chicklets I get every time I call someone out on their illogical Ivy and PL voting. xthumbsupx

I recognize that many AGS pollsters have that approach and, given the Ivy head-in-the-sand approach to playoffs, it's understandable. I don't deny that the top of the NEC is competitive with the better Ivy and PL teams. I certainly don't think Harvard could have sneaked into Delaware Stadium and stolen a win, like Albany did a couple of years ago. I wish we could schedule you guys.

Anyway, I look forward to jerking your chain some more this year!:p

danefan
May 28th, 2009, 04:32 PM
I recognize that many AGS pollsters have that approach and, given the Ivy head-in-the-sand approach to playoffs, it's understandable. I don't deny that the top of the NEC is competitive with the better Ivy and PL teams. I certainly don't think Harvard could have sneaked into Delaware Stadium and stolen a win, like Albany did a couple of years ago. I wish we could schedule you guys.

I'm going to try incredibly hard to practice restraint this year. I think I've done a pretty good job so far. No gasket blowing posts yet. xlolx

And I would love to see a Harvard-Albany game. UA is at Yale next year. Should be interesting, but UA likely won't be the top of the NEC next year with the loss of a McCarty and Esposito (3-year QB).

Punchykky
May 29th, 2009, 08:51 AM
This is an interesting poll.

Dane96
May 29th, 2009, 09:04 AM
I wish we could schedule you guys.

I concur- I cant bring myself to wear a sweater around my neck for my first game at Harvard Stadium after 10 years in this town, which would have to be Yale-Harvard if we cant get the Danes-Crimson scheduled!

It is a no-brainer....2 1/2 hours down the road...nice amount of Albany alumni here...and we are, of course, known as the "Harvard on the Hudson." Cough...cough.

jmufan999
May 29th, 2009, 10:25 AM

i do feel bad for Ivy League fans, and any other fans of teams that don't play in the postseason. i really do.

that said, and this is going to get me killed (not that i care since none of us know each other)...... why are non-playoff-eligible teams put in the top 25? non-eligible, choose not to play, whatever. and if you're Harvard, do you really CARE if you're in the top 25? what difference does it make? you're not playing in the postseason anyway.... so who cares? all you're going for is an Ivy League crown, which i'm sure is very important to you. that's great. but you're taking up spaces in the top 25 for teams that actually NEED the ranking for national recognition... national recognition helps you get selected to the postseason.

i have the utmost respect for the Ivy League, and i wish they'd participate in the playoffs. but they're not going to, so i feel like it's a waste even ranking them. sorry, just how i feel.

smallcollegefbfan
May 29th, 2009, 10:33 AM
i do feel bad for Ivy League fans, and any other fans of teams that don't play in the postseason. i really do.

that said, and this is going to get me killed (not that i care since none of us know each other)...... why are non-playoff-eligible teams put in the top 25? non-eligible, choose not to play, whatever. and if you're Harvard, do you really CARE if you're in the top 25? what difference does it make? you're not playing in the postseason anyway.... so who cares? all you're going for is an Ivy League crown, which i'm sure is very important to you. that's great. but you're taking up spaces in the top 25 for teams that actually NEED the ranking for national recognition... national recognition helps you get selected to the postseason.

i have the utmost respect for the Ivy League, and i wish they'd participate in the playoffs. but they're not going to, so i feel like it's a waste even ranking them. sorry, just how i feel.

What is the top 25? It is a ranking of the top 25 teams in America and if an Ivy League team has proven they are a top 25 caliber team they should be ranked.

I see what you are saying but the SWAC Champ always chooses to play in their title game instead of the playoffs so we should not rank them as well. I will always rank the top 25 teams in America and I don't think it is right to exclude a worthy Ivy League team unless that team is better.

Ivy League schools like to be ranked because it helps them in recruiting to show that they have a quality team and can get exposure for their players. I don't think Albany wants to be ranked because there are 3 or 4 top 25 caliber teams who aren't due to not participating in the playoffs. It is a cheap way and undeserving way to be ranked. They will be much more proud of their ranking when they earn it and not by default.

danefan
May 29th, 2009, 10:42 AM
What is the top 25? It is a ranking of the top 25 teams in America and if an Ivy League team has proven they are a top 25 caliber team they should be ranked.

I see what you are saying but the SWAC Champ always chooses to play in their title game instead of the playoffs so we should not rank them as well. I will always rank the top 25 teams in America and I don't think it is right to exclude a worthy Ivy League team unless that team is better.

Ivy League schools like to be ranked because it helps them in recruiting to show that they have a quality team and can get exposure for their players. I don't think Albany wants to be ranked because there are 3 or 4 top 25 caliber teams who aren't due to not participating in the playoffs. It is a cheap way and undeserving way to be ranked. They will be much more proud of their ranking when they earn it and not by default.

I agree in principle, but here's the question and it only applies to this year:
Say Albany beats UMass and Maine and settles into its league schedule and goes 10-1 overall. That will put Albany in the middle to high teens probably (league SOS always hurts).

The criteria for the bridge AQ this year is:
1. 8 DI wins
2. 2 wins vs. AQ league opponents
3. an average ranking of 16 or higher in Coaches, TSN and Modified GPI.

There is the distinct possiblity that teams ineligible for the playoffs will be ranked higher than Albany (EWU, Jax State, an undefeated Ivy perhaps).

Does it make sense for those teams to be ranked ahead of Albany and keep Albany from qualifying for the bridge-AQ?

And you can say that Albany would get an at-large at 10-1 anyway, but there is a very good chance the committee will say "they didn't meet the AQ standard so we have an excuse not to give them an at-large" and they will instead give the CAA or Socon the last spot.

Does your opinion change?

Ivytalk
May 29th, 2009, 10:49 AM

Good post! I agree 100%.xthumbsupx

GannonFan
May 29th, 2009, 10:54 AM
But here's the question and it only applies to this year:
Say Albany beats UMass and Maine and settles into its league schedule and goes 10-1 overall. That will put Albany in the middle to high teens probably (league SOS always hurts).

1. 8 DI wins

There is the distinct possiblity that teams ineligible for the playoffs will be ranked higher than Albany (EWU, Jax State, Penn perhaps).

Does it make sense for those teams to be ranked ahead of Albany and keep Albany from qualifying for the bridge-AQ?

And you can say that Albany would get an at-large at 10-1 anyway, but there is a very good chance the committee will say "they didn't meet the AQ standard so we have an excuse not to give them an at-large" and they will instead give the CAA or Socon the last spot.

Don't worry, a 10-1 Albany team, with that schedule, will get an at large, no questions asked. Going 2-1 against UMass, Maine, and GSU, and sweeping the NEC will make them a lock. xthumbsupx

danefan
May 29th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Don't worry, a 10-1 Albany team, with that schedule, will get an at large, no questions asked. Going 2-1 against UMass, Maine, and GSU, and sweeping the NEC will make them a lock. xthumbsupx

I would hope so and we can say that now, but the natural tendency is for people to say:

"They lost to Albany, they must not be that good."

GannonFan
May 29th, 2009, 11:01 AM
I would hope so and we can say that now, but the natural tendency is for people to say:

Don't have an ugly loss (i.e. Liberty to Presbyterian last year - and even then that was their 2nd loss) and you'll be fine. I don't think UMass will look like a great win (will still be a decent win) by the end of the year, but Maine and/or GSU will look good enough. 10-1 and it's a lock. xthumbsupx

smallcollegefbfan
May 29th, 2009, 11:09 AM
I agree in principle, but here's the question and it only applies to this year:

1. 8 DI wins

There is the distinct possiblity that teams ineligible for the playoffs will be ranked higher than Albany (EWU, Jax State, an undefeated Ivy perhaps).

You can't make rules for "just this year only" because then we get in to changing them every year.

Why should we punish those teams in the top 25 when they have already been punished by the NCAA for playoff berths.

If Albany runs the table in the NEC or beats a top 25 FCS team I will put them in the rankings. If Albany has shown that they could definitely make it a good game and prove worthy to be there then I say rank them and put them in the playoffs.

I want to see the 8 best playoff eligible teams that I can outside of the autos regardless of what conference. If Albany falls in that category they deserve in but if they don't then I don't want to see them in. Put the best in regardless of league or anything else.

danefan
May 29th, 2009, 11:13 AM
You can't make rules for "just this year only" because then we get in to changing them every year.

Why should we punish those teams in the top 25 when they have already been punished by the NCAA for playoff berths.

If Albany runs the table in the NEC or beats a top 25 FCS team I will put them in the rankings. If Albany has shown that they could definitely make it a good game and prove worthy to be there then I say rank them and put them in the playoffs.

I want to see the 8 best playoff eligible teams that I can outside of the autos regardless of what conference. If Albany falls in that category they deserve in but if they don't then I don't want to see them in. Put the best in regardless of league or anything else.

I'm not making the rules up. The NCAA made them up and they aren't relevant any other year because the polls don't matter any other year (every conference that wants one will then have an AQ starting in 2010).

OT, but speaking of expanded playoffs - it was confirmed in the Sporting News FCS preview that the 2010 playoffs will indeed include the seeding of the top 8 teams, instead of 4.

smallcollegefbfan
May 29th, 2009, 11:18 AM

If you beat Maine, GSU, and UMASS and none of them have a win against a top 25 team or even looked competitive against one then I would say no. If Albany runs the table and those teams have .500 or better seasons, then I think you deserve to be in the playoffs. Now, if those teams have seasons like Rhode Island, Chattanooga, or Sac State did last year then I would say no.

I just have to be sure that Albany is going to put up a good fight in a playoff game by seeing evidence they can beat a top 25 team or at least be very competitive. I mean do you really want to go to the playoffs and get beat by 40 or 50 and then be punished for that over the next several years because nobody takes you seriously? You want to be sure you could put up a good fight and do it so even if you lose you are taken seriously. People will realize that you will at least be competitive and you will perhaps get the benefit of the doubt in future years. Don't look at this for just one year but think several down the line. You don't want to have a better team down the road who does not get in because a team that did not deserve to get in who got in went and lost by 40 or so. You see what I am saying?

Let me put it this way. Say I am playing for a small private high school and I am putting up 200 yards a game rushing and there is this player in 6A going up against nationally ranked teams 2-3 times a year and putting up 105 a game. We know for a fact that the kid in 6A ball will compete at a D1 school and we don't know for sure the kid at the private school would so wouldn't you offer the one at the 6A school first?

For the record, I do want to see Albany or someone from the NEC prove they belong and make it in one year. I just don't want to see an NEC team in the playoffs that has not proven they belong and then loses by 30 or 40 in the first round.

smallcollegefbfan
May 29th, 2009, 11:20 AM
I'm not making the rules up. The NCAA made them up and they aren't relevant any other year because the polls don't matter any other year (every conference that wants one will then have an AQ starting in 2010).

OT, but speaking of expanded playoffs - it was confirmed in the Sporting News FCS preview that the 2010 playoffs will indeed include the seeding of the top 8 teams, instead of 4.

That is great news! I miss the days of seeding the 16 teams. It made for very interesting match-ups due to travel. Even though it is not 16, it is closer to 16 than it has been and that is good to hear.

DetroitFlyer
May 29th, 2009, 11:26 AM
[QUOTE=SmallCollegeFBFan;1349491]If you beat Maine, GSU, and UMASS and none of them have a win against a top 25 team or even looked competitive against one then I would say no. If Albany runs the table and those teams have .500 or better seasons, then I think you deserve to be in the playoffs. Now, if those teams have seasons like Rhode Island, Chattanooga, or Sac State did last year then I would say no.

I just have to be sure that Albany is going to put up a good fight in a playoff game by seeing evidence they can beat a top 25 team or at least be very competitive. I mean do you really want to go to the playoffs and get beat by 40 or 50 and then be punished for that over the next several years because nobody takes you seriously? You want to be sure you could put up a good fight and do it so even if you lose you are taken seriously. People will realize that you will at least be competitive and you will perhaps get the benefit of the doubt in future years. Don't look at this for just one year but think several down the line. You don't want to have a better team down the road who does not get in because a team that did not deserve to get in who got in went and lost by 40 or so. You see what I am saying?

Let me put it this way. Say I am playing for a small private high school and I am putting up 200 yards a game rushing and there is this player in 6A going up against nationally ranked teams 2-3 times a year and putting up

Yeah, because we all know there is never a "blowout" in the first round of the playoffs. Extremely weak argument.

smallcollegefbfan
May 29th, 2009, 11:31 AM
[QUOTE=SmallCollegeFBFan;1349491]If you beat Maine, GSU, and UMASS and none of them have a win against a top 25 team or even looked competitive against one then I would say no. If Albany runs the table and those teams have .500 or better seasons, then I think you deserve to be in the playoffs. Now, if those teams have seasons like Rhode Island, Chattanooga, or Sac State did last year then I would say no.

Let me put it this way. Say I am playing for a small private high school and I am putting up 200 yards a game rushing and there is this player in 6A going up against nationally ranked teams 2-3 times a year and putting up

Yeah, because we all know there is never a "blowout" in the first round of the playoffs. Extremely weak argument.

Okay think of it this way. Say Villanova beats Elon by 25 in the first round but Elon has beaten a top 25 team or two and has a 9-2 record and Elon had even beaten a team who had played Nova closely. Then say Albany has zero wins against a top 25 team, 1 win against a auto bid league but that win was by 2 and that team was 3-8, and they don't have a win or a close game against anyone that Nova played during the year. It would be a shock to see Nova beat up on Elon like that but it would not be a shock to see them beat up on Albany like that. The only reason I can't really make an example out of a team from the CAA, SoCon, etc. is because those teams have to have wins against top 25 teams or auto bid teams with winning records or else they likely won't have the record or resume to get them an at-large bid from their league.

All I am saying is that if Albany has wins against quality opponents and they run the table in the NEC then they deserve a chance but if they are 10-1 with no wins against a top 25 or at least a top 40 GPI team, then I don't think they will have done anything to merit that chance. With Elon in my above example they had done something to merit that chance. If Albany beats two ranked teams this year and they get blown out then I won't laugh at Albany making the field because they still had done something to merit a chance in the playoffs.

If you don't agree with that then tell me this.

Why should a team be given a chance in the playoffs against the CAA if they don't have a few quality wins against a top 25 team or at least one receiving votes when there is a CAA, SoCon, MVFC, SLC, etc. team that does have those wins?

Cocky
May 29th, 2009, 04:46 PM
We must have bought an Ad to get the 13 ranking.

Redbirdz
May 29th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Jacksonville State will be a top 10 team.

Cocky
May 30th, 2009, 01:44 AM
Jacksonville State will be a top 10 team.

Did Jack resign?

SU DOG
May 30th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Did Jack resign?
xlolx xlolx xlolx

ASU
May 30th, 2009, 08:44 PM
So.....
Eastern Washington and Jacksonville State not able to go to playoffs this year....is that correct?

Delaware,Delaware State, Montana and Montana State not able to have home playoff games right now....is that correct?

This is getting to be ridiculous.

smallcollegefbfan
May 30th, 2009, 08:49 PM
So.....
Eastern Washington and Jacksonville State not able to go to playoffs this year....is that correct?

Delaware,Delaware State, Montana and Montana State not able to have home playoff games right now....is that correct?

Agreed! It is just not right.

CrazyCat
May 30th, 2009, 09:11 PM
So.....

The state of Montana vs. the NCAA. It's going to get real interesting.

Head Cat
May 30th, 2009, 10:13 PM
That is great news! I miss the days of seeding the 16 teams. It made for very interesting match-ups due to travel. Even though it is not 16, it is closer to 16 than it has been and that is good to hear.
In a 20-team playoff, in reality you would have to "seed" at least 12 teams, because 12 teams would receive first-round byes. Eight teams will play the first round, with four teams advancing to the next round with the 12 other teams. In some form or fashion, you are going to have to determine which 12 teams receive the byes. Seeding would make the most sense.

danefan
May 30th, 2009, 11:03 PM
In a 20-team playoff, in reality you would have to "seed" at least 12 teams, because 12 teams would receive first-round byes. Eight teams will play the first round, with four teams advancing to the next round with the 12 other teams. In some form or fashion, you are going to have to determine which 12 teams receive the byes. Seeding would make the most sense.

No you don't have to "seed" 12 teams. You really only have to determine the bottom 8. That's not the same as "seeding" the top 12, especially in the case of the FCS tournament.

The top 8 will be seeded. They will get home games and byes. The bottom 8 will play in the opening round. The middle 4 will get a bye but will have to bid for home games against their opponents. So, in theory, a team who plays away in the opening round could outbid for a home game in the second round.

They could have very easily continued to only seed 4 teams and required the next 12 to bid for the second round. Seeding 8 teams is much better.

smallcollegefbfan
May 31st, 2009, 12:20 AM

I think you could seed 8 or 12. It will be interesting to see how they do it. Maybe they will give seeds to 8 and then any game without a seeded team they have to outbid for the home game? In the first round it would likely be something like the Patriot League and NEC Champ facing off and the winner then would have to likely play a top 10 team.

phillyAPP
May 31st, 2009, 06:52 AM

I am wishing my home town team great luck this year. Andy Talley is due for a great season. I hope they win a few playoff games except against APP.

Villanova is going to have a great 2009-10 sports year between Football and Basketball. I grew up playing basketball in the Jake Nevin fielhdouse as a teen.

Good Luck Head Cat..... Get the Cat fans excited this year !!!!!!!!!!!!

danefan
May 31st, 2009, 07:13 AM
I think you could seed 8 or 12. It will be interesting to see how they do it. Maybe they will give seeds to 8 and then any game without a seeded team they have to outbid for the home game? In the first round it would likely be something like the Patriot League and NEC Champ facing off and the winner then would have to likely play a top 10 team.

You can't really seed 12 teams in the playoffs because of how the home games are awarded, unless you want seeded teams bidding against each for home games.

I think it will work as follows (remember the playoffs will consist of an opening round, first round, quarterfinal, semifinal and final):

The bottom 8 teams play in the opening round. Games are decided based on regionalization and home games are bid for.
Top 8 seeds get a bye and a guaranteed home game in the first round.
4 non-seeded teams will also get a bye.
Seeds 4-8 play the non-seeded bye teams in first round. Seeds 1-4 play the four winners of the opening round games.

Looking at this further, it is really great that they will seed 8 teams. Besides the opening round, there is no more bidding for home games in the first round. The 8 seeded teams get home games in the first round.

Syntax Error
May 31st, 2009, 07:17 AM
So.....

1. Correct
2. Not correct

danefan
May 31st, 2009, 07:19 AM
1. Correct
2. Not correct

The second isn't determined yet, but its not looking good for Delaware. Montana is a wait and see, IMO. I think it depends on how much Delaware pushes the "you let Montana do it so you have to let us too" argument. If Delaware does that, I would bet you'd see Montana without a home game also.

Syntax Error
May 31st, 2009, 07:20 AM
You can't really seed 12 teams...This talk is way premature, talking about the 2010 playoffs when the 2009 playoffs have yet to begin. The NCAA is percolating many things and it will all be revealed later.

BossEagle
May 31st, 2009, 07:22 AM
1. Correct
2. Not correct

How is 2 not correct? I thought the NCAA is not holding playoff games in states that allow sports gambling.

danefan
May 31st, 2009, 07:24 AM
This talk is way premature, talking about the 2010 playoffs when the 2009 playoffs have yet to begin. The NCAA is percolating many things and it will all be revealed later.

Its being discussed here because Sporting News said there would be 8 seeds and the topic of seeding and playoffs came up.

How do you know it hasn't been decided? Are you on the committee? Have they announced anything? The Sporting News said in no uncertain terms that 8 teams would be seeded.