PDA

View Full Version : Patriot League Recruiting Ratings - Georgetown

carney2
May 27th, 2009, 09:39 PM
GEORGETOWN = 38

QUALITY = 8: 4 rated recruits (14% of the class) vs. 12 (36%) in 2008 and 5 (17%) in 2007. Only 2 recruits with star ratings – both one-stars from Scout. Disappointing. The Hoyas really needed to fill in around last year’s better than usual recruiting class. As we all know, the recruiting service ratings are not rock solid proof either way that a class has quality or not. We also know that we’d feel an awful lot more optimistic about this group if more of these guys were on recruiting radar screens outside the Beltway.

CLASS SIZE = 6: 28 recruits

DISTRIBUTION = 8: No kicker.

SPEED = 6: The usual disclaimer: information in this area is scarce.

TRIGGER = 0: The lone QB recruit is not rated. The argument can and should be made that the Hoyas loaded up on QBs last year with 7, 3 of them being 2-star recruits. But, that was last year.

JUMBO = 4: 5 OLs, 4 @ 270+ and 5 DLs, none @ 250+

NEEDS = 4:

QUALITY AT POSITIONS OTHER THAN QB = 0 (of 5): See the Quality ratings section above. Nuf said.
OL = 3 (of 4): 5 OL recruits, 1 rated, 4 jumbos. Good numbers. Good size. Better quality ratings would have earned that 4th Patsy Point.
DL = 1 (of 3): 5 DL recruits; no Jumbos; 1 rated. Good numbers, but the size of all recruits is well below what we are seeing on the better Patriot League defensive lines.

THE COMMITTEE’S ADJUSTMENTS = PLUS 2

The Committee feels that Hoya recruiters deserve some extra Patsy Points for identifying their needs and at least lining up an array of bodies in these areas. They recruited 11 linemen, a desperate need at Georgetown for years. They also recruited a battalion of receivers, presumably to complement the QBs on the roster.

Here’s where we stand with all the votes tallied. Ties are listed in the order that schools released their information.

1. 70 – Lehigh
1. 70 - Bucknell
3. 60 - Lafayette (A)
4. 50 - Colgate
5. 45 - Holy Cross
6. 38 - Georgetown
7. 35 – Fordham

(A) Updated from the original for verified additional recruits.

In case you’re wondering what all of this means, The Committee is convinced that a Patsy Points differential of 10 points or less in any given year is fairly inconsequential and may or may not have merit depending on the specifics. Over 10 however, we think is meaningful in almost every case.

Here are the three-year totals with Georgetown included;

Lehigh: 212 Total Points (71 per year): 2007 = 68 (#2); 2008 = 74 (#2)
Lafayette: 195 Total Points (65 per year): 2007 = 77 (#1); 2008 = 58 (#6)
Bucknell: 177 Total Points (59 per year): 2007 = 54 (#5); 2008 = 53 (# 7)
Colgate: 171 Total Points (57 per year): 2007 = 57 (#4); 2008 = 64 (#5)
Fordham: 166 Total Points (55 per year): 2007 = 60 (#3); 2008 = 71 (#3)
Georgetown: 159 Total Points (53 per year): 2007 = 42 (#6); 2008 = 79 (#1)
Holy Cross: 133 Total Points (44 per year): 2007 = 22 (#7); 2008 = 66 (#4)

crusader11
May 27th, 2009, 09:58 PM
And Holy Cross has won the most games in the Patriot League over the past 3 years, even though they have brought in the worst recruits.

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 27th, 2009, 10:03 PM
And Holy Cross has won the most games in the Patriot League over the past 3 years, even though they have brought in the worst recruits.

but no league titles....

Still that is a bit surprising. How many first or second team all leaguers has HC had?

crusader11
May 27th, 2009, 10:12 PM
I don't even bother looking at all-leaguers anymore. After Brett Mcdermott, who got signed by the Colts after the draft, did not even make a team I lost all respect for those who vote.

But, since you asked, they played 25 on all-league teams over the past 3 years.

CFBfan
May 28th, 2009, 06:07 AM
for what it's worth, I know 5 of the "unrated kids" going to GT. ALL of them were recruited very hard by HC, Fordham and Lehigh in addition to non PL schools. They all turned down full schollies choosing GT (guess their parents have $$ !).
Would have nice to see more OL as it seems to be the glaring need.
the "skills" look pretty solid, all the LB's look pretty good.......

crusader11
May 28th, 2009, 06:56 AM
Somehow I think we will get by without these recruits. And I only wish we had a full scholarship to offer them.

CFBfan
May 28th, 2009, 07:18 AM
Somehow I think we will get by without these recruits. And I only wish we had a full scholarship to offer them.

Looks like you missed the point genius.......thanks for providing insight as to why they turned down HC it's appreciated

Lehigh Football Nation
May 28th, 2009, 09:29 AM
1. 70 – Lehigh
1. 70 - Bucknell
3. 60 - Lafayette (A)
4. 50 - Colgate
5. 45 - Holy Cross
6. 38 - Georgetown
7. 35 – Fordham

While the Patsy rating system isn't perfect, "it's all we got", and it's the only (brave) attempt out there to figure what the effect is year to year on PL recruiting classes.

Here's the results from 2008 to 2009:

Bucknell - 2008: 53 - 2009: 70 - Difference: +17
Lafayette - 2008: 58 - 2009: 60 - Difference: +2
Lehigh - 2008: 74 - 2009: 40 - Difference: -4
Colgate - 2008: 60 - 2009: 50 - Difference: -10
Holy Cross - 2008: 66 - 2009: 45 - Difference -21
Fordham - 2008: 71 - 2009: 35 - Difference: -36
Georgetown - 2008: 79 - 2009: 38 - Difference: -41

Conclusions?

* Coach Tavani said that if the league does nothing, there will be a slow drift in the quality of play in the Patriot League. This appears to bear out this hypothesis: there were overall 93 fewer patsy points this year than last year.

* Fordham - and, more surprisingly, Holy Cross - might have a case that the AI changes have smacked them around more than other schools.

* Curiously, the school that in theory should have been most helped by the AI change - Georgetown - suffered the worst drop in PP from last year.

carney2
May 28th, 2009, 12:42 PM

How many first or second team all leaguers has HC had?

A few facts and observations:

The Patsy Ratings are in their 3rd year. Anyone who played in 2008 with junior or senior status was never rated. In other words, the Class of 2011 was the first rated group.

It will be very interesting to see the post-Randolph football landscape in WooTown.

A summary of the 2008 All-Patriot League team by school (remember, only sophomores and freshmen ever received Patsy Ratings):

BUCKNELL:
1st Team = 1
2nd Team = 3
No freshmen
1 sophomore

COLGATE:
1st Team = 8
2nd Team = 4
1 freshman
1 sophomore

FORDHAM:
1st Team = 2
2nd Team = 3
No freshmen
No sophomores

GEORGETOWN:
1st Team = 0
2nd Team = 2
No freshmen
No sophomores

HOLY CROSS:
1st Team = 5
2nd Team = 6
No freshmen
No sophomores

LAFAYETTE:
1st Team = 4
2nd Team = 6
No freshmen
No sophomores

LEHIGH:
1st Team = 6
2nd Team = 2
No freshmen
2 sophomores

NOTE: There is some double counting, with the same individual being declared All-PL at multiple positions.

jimbo65
May 28th, 2009, 01:02 PM
These rating are beyond my ken. As I recall, when a basketball program's recruiting class is assessed, number of recruits does matter. This might be the case here as well. Not sure when the PL new rules on recruiting fball players were to take effect but if they were in effect for the class of 09, I can see why we are moving on, or at least giving regular scholarships.

LBPop
May 28th, 2009, 01:20 PM
Curiously, the school that in theory should have been most helped by the AI change - Georgetown - suffered the worst drop in PP from last year.

My fear is that the AI change was offset by the VI (Victory Index). Three W's in two years can affect the decision of a young competitive athlete. It's certainly not a deal breaker on its own, but it has got to matter.

Fordham
May 28th, 2009, 02:26 PM
I disagree Pop. A Georgetown football player has to have the academics of a Fordham football player now and they get admission to a school as highly ranked as G-town. That is an absolute huge advantage and one that could/should quickly be exploited.

My guess is that the problem, though, is much more about $$'s. G-town's paltry budget allows for an equally paltry number of equivalencies. Now that same G-town football player who formerly might have only been admitted to Fordham, can pay far less to go a school like Colgate that may be a notch down from G-town but certainly is not that far off and an incredible school. Smart parents would typically look (imo) at paying a much lesser amount to attend Colgate and near full tuition to attend G-town and the choice is obvious. That's just my guess.

LBPop
May 28th, 2009, 03:04 PM
I disagree Pop. A Georgetown football player has to have the academics of a Fordham football player now and they get admission to a school as highly ranked as G-town. That is an absolute huge advantage and one that could/should quickly be exploited.

My guess is that the problem, though, is much more about $$'s. G-town's paltry budget allows for an equally paltry number of equivalencies. Now that same G-town football player who formerly might have only been admitted to Fordham, can pay far less to go a school like Colgate that may be a notch down from G-town but certainly is not that far off and an incredible school. Smart parents would typically look (imo) at paying a much lesser amount to attend Colgate and near full tuition to attend G-town and the choice is obvious. That's just my guess.

We actually don't disagree. There is no doubt that money has always been Georgetown's biggest area of disadvantage. My comment related to the earlier observation that the relaxed AI should have helped Georgetown's recruiting. I simply observed that while the newer AI was working for the Hoyas, their record was offsetting it. The money thing hasn't changed and remains their #1 obstacle (maybe #2 and #3 also).

WildPard
May 28th, 2009, 07:02 PM
AI, VI, or academic reputation/strength, it doesn't matter. The fact that Georgetown does not and will not dedicate the resources to football necessary to be competitive is the main problem. A personal example to show my point. I accompanied my son to a Georgetown game one weekend in September as a recruit. What did we see--terrible facilities, no student/alumni support, miniscule and disinterested crowd, disorganized coaching staff/recruit management, huge home team loss. About three weeks later, went to a second PL game in Easton. What did we see--amazing facilities, great student/alumni/local town support, large and boisterous crowd, organized coaching staff/personal and detailed recruit management, home team win.
Agree with a previous post--Georgetown seems to think they can sit back and count on their "superior" academics to lure recruits. They may enjoy a slight advantage over some of the other PL teams in this area, but that slight advantage (if it really exists) goes out the window for recruits (and enrolled freshmen, if judging by their attrition rate) once they experience the awesome spectacle that is Georgetown football.

colorless raider
May 28th, 2009, 08:43 PM
AI, VI, or academic reputation/strength, it doesn't matter. The fact that Georgetown does not and will not dedicate the resources to football necessary to be competitive is the main problem. A personal example to show my point. I accompanied my son to a Georgetown game one weekend in September as a recruit. What did we see--terrible facilities, no student/alumni support, miniscule and disinterested crowd, disorganized coaching staff/recruit management, huge home team loss. About three weeks later, went to a second PL game in Easton. What did we see--amazing facilities, great student/alumni/local town support, large and boisterous crowd, organized coaching staff/personal and detailed recruit management, home team win.
Agree with a previous post--Georgetown seems to think they can sit back and count on their "superior" academics to lure recruits. They may enjoy a slight advantage over some of the other PL teams in this area, but that slight advantage (if it really exists) goes out the window for recruits (and enrolled freshmen, if judging by their attrition rate) once they experience the awesome spectacle that is Georgetown football.

I guess we can assume your son is to be a frosh at Lafayette. Did Colgat4e recruit him?

ngineer
May 28th, 2009, 09:49 PM
While the Hoyas got decent distribution across positions, I was struck by the lack of a lot size in the linemen. Of course, size is not necessarily critical if the guys have quick feet (Montana, I think, has shown over the years that you don't need big behemoths to be successful). Also, tied into the type of system one employs.

DFW HOYA
May 28th, 2009, 10:19 PM
AI, VI, or academic reputation/strength, it doesn't matter. The fact that Georgetown does not and will not dedicate the resources to football necessary to be competitive is the main problem.

No sport at Georgetown has the full resources it needs, not one of them, and not even basketball. But a lot of these teams are more than competitive. You can't use this as an all-encompassing reason.

A personal example to show my point. I accompanied my son to a Georgetown game one weekend in September as a recruit. What did we see--terrible facilities, no student/alumni support, miniscule and disinterested crowd, disorganized coaching staff/recruit management, huge home team loss. About three weeks later, went to a second PL game in Easton. What did we see--amazing facilities, great student/alumni/local town support, large and boisterous crowd, organized coaching staff/personal and detailed recruit management, home team win.

If you saw a game in September over the last two seasons, the smallest was 9/8/07 for 2,133, the largest 9/29/07 with 3,184 for Cornell. (The only home game in Sept. 2008 was for 2,233.) Sounds small, until you realize that the place only holds 2,400.

Student support for these games is at a level comparable to most PL schools for the simple fact that alumni do not go to games where they cannot park (and, for those outside the PL realm, Georgetown has about 75 surface parking spaces on the campus). How many alumni are going to be driving in where they have no place to park? Unless you're proposing moving games to somewhere in College Park or moving all Georgetown home games to PL road sites, the parking situation is not going to get better and that limits alumni participation significantly.

Facilities are a mess but they're a given, and yes, I've heard similar grumblings that recruits aren't shepherded around as they are at other schools. But it still comes down to wins and losses. You aren't going to get strong recruiting classes with three wins in two seasons, no matter who you are.

CFBfan
May 29th, 2009, 05:56 AM

While what you say is somewhat true....I experienced the same thing with my son althought the Georgetown experince was not nearly as bad as you described it (at least fro us) we went "into town" after the Lafayette game and it was nothing short of a sewer!! a terrible place that I would never want my son in nor did he want to be in and then after the Hoya game there is DC no contest!!

Franks Tanks
May 29th, 2009, 07:45 AM
While what you say is somewhat true....I experienced the same thing with my son althought the Georgetown experince was not nearly as bad as you described it (at least fro us) we went "into town" after the Lafayette game and it was nothing short of a sewer!! a terrible place that I would never want my son in nor did he want to be in and then after the Hoya game there is DC no contest!!

Easton is not the greatest town in the world but its hardly a sewer. The college hill area around Lafayette was once one of the richest area in the country and it has tons of Victorian houses and History.

Downtown is fair, but it does have some good bars and restuarants. Much of the rest of Easton isnt so great but a Lafayette students would have no reason to go there (except to score drugs perhaps)

RichH2
May 29th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Patsy ratings give us all a framework for looking at recruits a few yrs down the line. We can all show unrated kids who became all pl and AA and rated kids who didn't last. But overall , the ratings do evidencetrends in recruiting for each school and for the PL. Lets see how next yrs ratings stand up,perhaps LFN is correct or it may be a 1 yr fluctuation. System istoo new totell yet .

Most importantly , Carney has us with a lot of fun

CFBfan
May 29th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Easton is not the greatest town in the world but its hardly a sewer. The college hill area around Lafayette was once one of the richest area in the country and it has tons of Victorian houses and History.

Downtown is fair, but it does have some good bars and restuarants. Much of the rest of Easton isnt so great but a Lafayette students would have no reason to go there (except to score drugs perhaps)

No disrespect meant....Lafayette is a great school with beautiful facilities and a very good team but when we went off campus (and the campus is small) the area was very rundown and the town was really bad, maybe just the day that we were there but there were drug addicts on the streets, etc.
If Lafayette was in DC or a similiar area it would have been amoung our top choices.

carney2
May 29th, 2009, 09:20 AM
While the Hoyas got decent distribution across positions, I was struck by the lack of a lot size in the linemen.

Disagree. Check the rating write-up. O-linemen are decent size with only one non-Jumbo and the average at 275. D-linemen, on the other hand - well, you have to question if they could ever be effective at the FCS level with the largest at 235. Four years of cheeseburgers can only do so much.

Oh yeah, that OL/DL crap that Kelly puts out - I arbitrarily assigned each of those dual personality kids to one side of the ball or the other based on size.

Franks Tanks
May 29th, 2009, 09:29 AM
No disrespect meant....Lafayette is a great school with beautiful facilities and a very good team but when we went off campus (and the campus is small) the area was very rundown and the town was really bad, maybe just the day that we were there but there were drug addicts on the streets, etc.
If Lafayette was in DC or a similiar area it would have been amoung our top choices.

I understand completely. Some parts of Easton are quite poor, but a college student has no business being in those sections anyway.

If a student wants to go to school in a major city, Lafayette would be excluded from the list no doubt. However, I think students sometimes over estimate how much time they will spend exploring the city their college resides in. Location can certainly help with internships and on campus recruiting however.

carney2
May 29th, 2009, 09:32 AM

For years the City of Easton was the primary reason listed by students who were accepted by Lafayette, but matriculated elsewhere. That is no longer the case. It will never be Beverly Hills, but Easton has come a long way, baby. The town has its moments. No disrespect intended, but methinx you saw what you wanted to see, or perhaps what you expected to see.

LBPop
May 29th, 2009, 12:41 PM
I understand completely. However, I think students sometimes over estimate how much time they will spend exploring the city their college resides in.

That may be true in general, but it's not the case at Georgetown. To have a real campus set in a vibrant part of a wonderful city is almost unique. If you ask most graduates of the school, they will tell you that one of its best features is its location. You can be sitting on a classic campus lawn and then walk three blocks to countless restaurants (all price levels) and night spots. I have often thought that they did not use this as well as they could in the recruiting process.

Franks Tanks
May 29th, 2009, 12:52 PM
That may be true in general, but it's not the case at Georgetown. To have a real campus set in a vibrant part of a wonderful city is almost unique. If you ask most graduates of the school, they will tell you that one of its best features is its location. You can be sitting on a classic campus lawn and then walk three blocks to countless restaurants (all price levels) and night spots. I have often thought that they did not use this as well as they could in the recruiting process.

Sure, but that are attractions within walking distance, and that is a big plus. I was speaking more to attractions away from campus really. Most college students ( and especially athletes) dont have time generally to mosey around the city.

jimbo65
May 29th, 2009, 01:31 PM

How far is Gtown from the DMZ part of DC. Fordham is shielded on the east by an ok neighborhood, Pelham Pkwy, South by Little Italy, the north, Norwood is so so and the west, other than Fordham Rd. is not good.

Franks Tanks
May 29th, 2009, 01:50 PM
How far is Gtown from the DMZ part of DC. Fordham is shielded on the east by an ok neighborhood, Pelham Pkwy, South by Little Italy, the north, Norwood is so so and the west, other than Fordham Rd. is not good.

Georgetown is in perhaps the best neighborhood in D.C. (the neighborhood is also called Georgetown) and many of the DC heavy hitters live in the area.

CFBfan
May 29th, 2009, 02:16 PM

Fordham was recruiting my son as well and we are from the "tri-state" area and are in Manhattan often. Mascela was a very nice guy, seems like a good coach as well and they try to sell manhattan hard BUT the Brons and Manhattan are 2 different worlds. Little Italy section is "safe" but there is just no comparison to the Georgetown area.

colorless raider
May 29th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Sure, but that are attractions within walking distance, and that is a big plus. I was speaking more to attractions away from campus really. Most college students ( and especially athletes) dont have time generally to mosey around the city.

Nor do most student-athletes have the money to enjoy the expensive neighborhood that Georgtown resides in.:D

HoyaMetanoia
May 29th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Nor do most student-athletes have the money to enjoy the expensive neighborhood that Georgtown resides in.:D

It's not like they're venturing off campus to do real estate speculation. There's nothing "unaffordable" for college students about the neighborhood in general.

turbodean
May 29th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Paleeeez! the students at Fordham do take advantage of the city. What a wasted opportunity if they didn't. Georgetown area is awesome. i cant wait to visit there this year for the game. i know students at Georgetown and George Washington univ, and i know they take advantage of being in DC. I've been to Lafayette too, its nice. I'm pretty sure they're not holed up in their dorms.

I think most kids want to go to the best school they can, where they have a good chance for legit playing time, and where they feel welcome by players and wanted by coaches.

In some cases some kids may prefer city life while others want something less urban, but i think there are much bigger over-riding factors that determine where they go.

Go...gate
May 29th, 2009, 05:31 PM

It's not THAT bad, and there are many areas in DC (such as the infamous "Combat Zone" that nobody ever talks about) that are much worse. Not every college can be like Colgate, Princeton, Dartmouth, Wellesley et al.

LBPop
May 29th, 2009, 09:34 PM
Most college towns offer something for the students (with the possible exception of New Haven, CT--that one was for you, IvyTalk). The unique aspect to Georgetown is that when you are on campus, you are on a campus. But when you leave campus, you are in one of the truly beautiful and historic areas on the east coast.

As for cost, sure there are several $100 per person restaurants. As a Dad of a former student, I found myself in one of those a few times. (In a perverse way it doesn't seem as expensive after you have looked at that tuition bill. xrotatehx) But there are plenty of low cost places to eat (chains and others) that are always full of Hoya students. Plus, there are plenty of bars of all types.

I didn't go to Georgetown, but after my four year experience as a Georgetown Dad, I know I would have loved it. xthumbsupx

DFW HOYA
May 30th, 2009, 07:27 AM

You don't need money to enjoy Washington DC; obviously, it helps in some ways, but there is always something going on in town that is at or no cost.

And to the earlier post, the Georgetown and American U neighborhoods are about 3-4 miles from the tougher areas of Washington that you speak of. Some students can go four years without ever seeing it, but that's their choice. But unlike Hanover and Collegetown (Cornell), a fifteen minute walk also gets you to the base of the Lincoln Memorial or Embassy Row, and a walk down to see the White House is a 25 minute, 21 block walk (37th Street to 16th Street).

I concur that DC's not the huge selling point it ought to be, but first things first...

DFW HOYA
May 30th, 2009, 07:37 AM
There's plenty to do in Washington without a lot of money. The Georgetown neignborhood can be expensive but there's a lot in Washington as a whole that is a lot more affordable. Both the Georgetown and American U neighborhoods are fortunate in that regard--the Georgetown area has a mix of residential and restaurants/nightspots, while AU is strictly residential.

I agree that DC doesn't get the recruiting "pitch" that it could. A Georgetown student is a 15 minute jog away from the Lincoln Memorial, Embassy Row, or the White House, and there's nothing quite like walking down to the inauguration once in your four years no matter who gets elected. An education is more than what lies in a classroom and that's a great selling point for the school. However, first things first...

VT Wildcat Fan53
May 30th, 2009, 11:46 AM
for what it's worth, I know 5 of the "unrated kids" going to GT. ALL of them were recruited very hard by HC, Fordham and Lehigh in addition to non PL schools. They all turned down full schollies choosing GT (guess their parents have $$ !).
Would have nice to see more OL as it seems to be the glaring need.
the "skills" look pretty solid, all the LB's look pretty good.......

The Hoya's lone QB coming in this fall is, in fact, a very talented player. He is a SoCal kid who prepped for a year at Bridgton Academy (a great all-PG school in N. Bridgton, ME). He has great size, a fine arm, .... and he spent last fall competing against mostly Ivy and Patriot League JV (ie: college kids, not other HS'ers) teams. He will surprise a lot of PL pundits.

carney2
May 30th, 2009, 01:25 PM
It's not THAT bad.

Not only isn't it "THAT bad," it's pretty good. If you want schools in an isolated bucolic setting, then those are the schools you should be visiting. As I said in a previous post, this guy saw what he wanted to see. In all fairness however, he did what most visitors to Lafayette College do:

He arrived via I-78 or U.S. Rte. 22, drove north on 3rd Street through the center of the city, then up onto College Hill via College Avenue. He went to his assigned parking area, did what he had to do, and then pretty much exited by reversing his steps. He may have taken a diversion or two off of 3rd Street while downtown and then exclaimed "This is urban America. My little Johnny isn't going to this school."

He closed his eyes and he closed his mind. In doing so he missed (at least) 3 things:

1. College Hill, the location of the College is literally on a cliff overlooking downtown Easton. There are a limited number of ways up that cliff. It acts as a barrier between College Hill and the rest of the city. In all my years (decades) of association with the College, I have never seen that barrier dissolve so that College Hill and downtown Easton become comingled in any way.

2. If he'd gone even a block or two in the other direction, he would have found an extensive and delightful residential neighborhood. It is Lafayette's "neighborhood," and it is a treasure. It is a primary reason that the College has been able to hire and retain quality faculty, administrators and coaches through the years. They revel in the well kept homes and properties, the lack of crime, the schools for their children (both public and private), and the ability to walk to work through this area. Many of the residents work in New York or the crowded areas of northern and central New Jersey. They live here by choice.

3. If he'd driven even half the distance in the other direction that he went to find his "sewer," he would have discovered the Paxinosa section of College Hill. This is also part of the Lafayette "neighborhood," and it is one of the wealthier sections of the Lehigh Valley, with large homes and manicured lawns with breathtaking views of the Delaware River Valley and the "mountains" of New Jersey.

If you wander around with your eyes and your mind closed you don't see diddly-squat - and you really have no right to express your ill considered and erroneous opinion that you experienced a "sewer."

LBPop
May 30th, 2009, 03:34 PM
The Hoya's lone QB coming in this fall is, in fact, a very talented player. He is a SoCal kid who prepped for a year at Bridgton Academy (a great all-PG school in N. Bridgton, ME). He has great size, a fine arm, .... and he spent last fall competing against mostly Ivy and Patriot League JV (ie: college kids, not other HS'ers) teams. He will surprise a lot of PL pundits.

That sure is encouraging, but I don't know how the Hoya fans (all fifty of them ;)) will take to watching another freshman QB learn on the job.

Franks Tanks
May 30th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Not only isn't it "THAT bad," it's pretty good. If you want schools in an isolated bucolic setting, then those are the schools you should be visiting. As I said in a previous post, this guy saw what he wanted to see. In all fairness however, he did what most visitors to Lafayette College do:

He arrived via I-78 or U.S. Rte. 22, drove north on 3rd Street through the center of the city, then up onto College Hill via College Avenue. He went to his assigned parking area, did what he had to do, and then pretty much exited by reversing his steps. He may have taken a diversion or two off of 3rd Street while downtown and then exclaimed "This is urban America. My little Johnny isn't going to this school."

He closed his eyes and he closed his mind. In doing so he missed (at least) 3 things:

1. College Hill, the location of the College is literally on a cliff overlooking downtown Easton. There are a limited number of ways up that cliff. It acts as a barrier between College Hill and the rest of the city. In all my years (decades) of association with the College, I have never seen that barrier dissolve so that College Hill and downtown Easton become comingled in any way.

2. If he'd gone even a block or two in the other direction, he would have found an extensive and delightful residential neighborhood. It is Lafayette's "neighborhood," and it is a treasure. It is a primary reason that the College has been able to hire and retain quality faculty, administrators and coaches through the years. They revel in the well kept homes and properties, the lack of crime, the schools for their children (both public and private), and the ability to walk to work through this area. Many of the residents work in New York or the crowded areas of northern and central New Jersey. They live here by choice.

3. If he'd driven even half the distance in the other direction that he went to find his "sewer," he would have discovered the Paxinosa section of College Hill. This is also part of the Lafayette "neighborhood," and it is one of the wealthier sections of the Lehigh Valley, with large homes and manicured lawns with breathtaking views of the Delaware River Valley and the "mountains" of New Jersey.

If you wander around with your eyes and your mind closed you don't see diddly-squat - and you really have no right to express your ill considered and erroneous opinion that you experienced a "sewer."

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2181/2096049254_b32ba2fac5.jpg?v=0

Very True Carney. This is an example of one of the Mansions in the area you speak of and they are less than a mile, probably a 1/2 mile, from campus. Also this house isnt atypical. There is street after street of 100 plus year old mansions and other historic but more modest homes. College hill is a beautiful place simply put.

Other areas of Easton are also quite expensive and historic and quite nice as well (areas around downtown).

As I said some parts also suck, but they are far from campus and no student would venture there.

Some kids really want to go to school in a big city, and that is simply not Easton. But I think few kids really make a college choice based on that.

My view was I have 4 years to be a college student and the rest of my life to live wherever I want. I wanted to have a great college experience and could then move to whatever city I desire later.

CrusaderBob
May 30th, 2009, 08:26 PM
My view was I have 4 years to be a college student and the rest of my life to live wherever I want. I wanted to have a great college experience and could then move to whatever city I desire later.

And yet somehow you still chose Lafayette! xwhistlex xsmiley_wix

HoyaMetanoia
May 30th, 2009, 08:51 PM

He was a HS backup as a senior though, wasn't he?

Franks Tanks
May 30th, 2009, 09:24 PM
And yet somehow you still chose Lafayette! xwhistlex xsmiley_wix

Touche-- at least we were allowed to stay over in the girls dorm! How does one get laid at Holy Cross with such restrictions?

crusader11
May 30th, 2009, 11:29 PM
Touche-- at least we were allowed to stay over in the girls dorm! How does one get laid at Holy Cross with such restrictions?

As a current student, I can tell you there are virtually no restrictions. Compared to where many of my friends go to school, Holy Cross is more lax than most schools are in terms of restrictions and rules.