PDA

View Full Version : Sporting News Top 25

AtlantaMountaineer
May 22nd, 2009, 11:07 AM
Just received my 2009 Sporting News College Football 09 Annual in the mail. The top 25 preseason poll:

1. Richmond
2. Appalachian State
3, Villanova
4. UNI
5. Montana
6. Southern Illinois
7. Weber State
8. New Hampshire
9. Elon
10. JMU
11. Central Arkansas
12. W&M
13. E. Washington
14. Maine
15. Cal Poly
16. UMass
17. Montana State
18. Wofford
19. McNeese State
20. Ga Southern
21. N. Ariz
22. Colgate
23. Samford
24. Jacksonville State
25. SCSU

danefan
May 22nd, 2009, 11:10 AM
Just received my 2009 Sporting News College Football 09 Annual in the mail. The top 25 preseason poll:

1. Richmond
2. Appalachian State
3, Villanova
4. UNI
5. Montana
6. Southern Illinois
7. Weber State
8. New Hampshire
9. Elon
10. JMU
11. Central Arkansas
12. W&M
13. E. Washington
14. Maine
15. Cal Poly
16. UMass
17. Montana State
18. Wofford
19. McNeese State
20. Ga Southern
21. N. Ariz
22. Colgate
23. Samford
24. Jacksonville State
25. SCSU

Thanks for posting ATLMountaineer.

Those should get some discussion started. I'm not real sure any of those five bolded should be ranked at all. Thoughts?

I also think UMass is too high and SCSU is way too low.

xpopcornx

andy7171
May 22nd, 2009, 11:11 AM
Blue Hen fans are not going to be happy about this one bit!

93henfan
May 22nd, 2009, 11:15 AM

Actually, I really like the billing "Unranked Delaware hosts top-ranked Richmond in Week 2". xthumbsupx

Should be a blowout. xwhistlex

biggie
May 22nd, 2009, 11:17 AM
Samford is a possibility based on their year last year, but don't think I would have put them there in preseason.

neersnbeers
May 22nd, 2009, 11:19 AM
I can see that. Also see the bottom 15 changing quite a bit in the first 5 weeks.

Gil Dobie
May 22nd, 2009, 11:22 AM
IMO, South Dakota State and Albany should be ranked.

Retro
May 22nd, 2009, 11:26 AM
This poll is like many from major national outlets pretty much a reflection of how the teams ended up last season.. xrolleyesx

Did the magazine give any info on the teams?

wideright82
May 22nd, 2009, 11:29 AM

1. Richmond
2. Appalachian State
3, Villanova
4. UNI
5. Montana
6. Southern Illinois
7. Weber State
8. New Hampshire
9. Elon
10. JMU
11. Central Arkansas
12. W&M
13. E. Washington
14. Maine
15. Cal Poly
16. UMass
17. Montana State
18. Wofford
19. McNeese State
20. Ga Southern
21. N. Ariz
22. Colgate
23. Samford
24. Jacksonville State
25. SCSU

Looks good from my end xlolx:D

tribe_pride
May 22nd, 2009, 11:36 AM
Actually, I really like the billing "Unranked Delaware hosts top-ranked Richmond in Week 2". xthumbsupx

Should be a blowout. xwhistlex

When W&M made the Semis in 2004, we started the year unranked. The team seemed to love on the underdog status. It's not how you start the season. If you start at 1, it may leave some room for an extra loss but usually things fall into place.

AtlantaMountaineer
May 22nd, 2009, 11:46 AM
This poll is like many from major national outlets pretty much a reflection of how the teams ended up last season.. xrolleyesx

Did the magazine give any info on the teams?

Have a write-up as usual about each FCS conference. Is the same as the old Street & Smith's. Haven't had a chance to digest it all yet since it just arrived today.

AtlantaMountaineer
May 22nd, 2009, 11:54 AM
Albany picked to take the NEC again. Good luck against GSU!

saccat
May 22nd, 2009, 11:56 AM
I don't think NAU MSU or EWU should be ranked right now. I do think MSU has the best chance of the three to crack the top 10-15, but there are to many questions and alot of time before the season gets rolling. By the end of the season there will be 3 top 15 Big sky teams.

WrenFGun
May 22nd, 2009, 12:16 PM
Tend to think SIU is too high. They lost their star RB and are ranked ahead of teams that return more/beat them last year.

Delaware and SDSU should be ranked, IMO.

jmufan999
May 22nd, 2009, 12:48 PM

1. Richmond
2. Appalachian State
3, Villanova
4. UNI
5. Montana
6. Southern Illinois
7. Weber State
8. New Hampshire
9. Elon
10. JMU

no MAJOR problems for me... not so sure UNI should be ranked so high. saw the semifinal game last year, so i'm only going on one game. but i'm 100% positive we were a better team.... last year (and we did beat the only common opponent, Richmond, on the road.... they lost to them at home. actually we both played and beat Maine [also beat them on the road in a downpour when UNI got them at home], so that one is a draw). and i know we lost Landers, and Nova is DEFINITELY a top 3 team, but shouldn't we be closer to them? after all, we did beat them last year.... twice. that's got to count for something, right? i think i'd go Montana 4, JMU 5, Weber State 6. just my opinion.

really doesn't matter as long as you get into the dance. i saw first-hand how well Wofford, Nova, and Montana played on the road in h'burg. just get in the dance, baby. so in the CAA, finish in the top 3-4 in most years.

PaladinFan
May 22nd, 2009, 12:55 PM
Suprised to see Samford and not Furman.

BigSouthFB
May 22nd, 2009, 01:02 PM
No Liberty or Furman? figures... I'm sure the Montana State and Samford picks will be of some discussion.

terrierbob
May 22nd, 2009, 01:04 PM

I don't get it, either.

bluehenbillk
May 22nd, 2009, 01:05 PM
I'm fine with UD being unranked to start the season. If they beat UR in week 2 though, they'll not only be in the poll, they could have the highest poll debut ever.

Teams too high: UMass, Colgate, SCSU

Teams too low: Nobody

Teams that shouldn't be ranked: EWU & Jax St. (cheaters & dumbasses respectively, both ineligible for the playoffs)

soweagle
May 22nd, 2009, 01:14 PM
I'm not sure GSU deserves to be ranked.

Wildcat80
May 22nd, 2009, 01:38 PM
7 out of 14 from the CAA--not bad! wins over Ball State, Nova, w&m, Maine--and no upsets will get us where we want to be--#1!!

blur2005
May 22nd, 2009, 01:44 PM
Preseason polls are always ridiculous, particularly ones that do little analysis and mainly look at what happened last season aka this poll.

smallcollegefbfan
May 22nd, 2009, 01:53 PM
Thanks for posting ATLMountaineer.

Those should get some discussion started. I'm not real sure any of those five bolded should be ranked at all. Thoughts?

I also think UMass is too high and SCSU is way too low.

xpopcornx

SC State is definitely too low. Anyone see how well they played against App State last year? I would have thought they would be ranked in the top 15.

Syntax Error
May 22nd, 2009, 02:01 PM
First of all, it is not a poll, it is a publication's opinion (usually just one writer, like your ballot for the AGS Poll). So grain of salt it heavily.

1. Richmond
2. Appalachian State
3, Villanova
4. UNI
5. Montana
6. Southern Illinois
7. Weber State
8. New Hampshire
9. Elon
10. JMU
11. Central Arkansas
12. W&M
13. E. Washington
14. Maine
15. Cal Poly
16. UMass
17. Montana State
18. Wofford
19. McNeese State
20. Ga Southern
21. N. Ariz
22. Colgate
23. Samford
24. Jacksonville State
25. SCSU

All the bolded are questionable and the order too, IMO. Let's go by conference. First, 1/3 of the FCS conferences/groups are shut out to start. Wrong move. Next it is far too CAA heavy. 7 of the top 16? Wrong. Far too BSC heavy. 5 of the top 21? Wrong. I think UCA and CP have some proving to do before they are ranked.

xtwocentsx

Monarch History
May 22nd, 2009, 02:02 PM

1. Richmond
3, Villanova
8. New Hampshire
10. JMU
12. W&M
14. Maine
16. UMass

Not sure how the season will pan out for other conference and playoff bids, but I'm sure these CAA schools will be in the hunt, though not necessarily in this order.

PaladinFan
May 22nd, 2009, 02:14 PM
I mean, of course it doesn't matter a hill of beans. Furman finished poorly and probably doesn't deserve to be ranked.

However, it seems strange. People love to pick Elon as a dark horse, but I'd wager no team in the country has finished as poorly as Elon the past two seasons. The Phoenix all but were locks for the playoffs before coming apart at the end of the year. They get a top 10?

Why Wofford keeps getting poor preseason rankings is beyond me. I mean, what else do they have to prove that they are one of the top programs in the country right now.

Syntax Error
May 22nd, 2009, 02:21 PM
I mean, of course it doesn't matter a hill of beans. Furman finished poorly and probably doesn't deserve to be ranked.

However, it seems strange. People love to pick Elon as a dark horse, but I'd wager no team in the country has finished as poorly as Elon the past two seasons. The Phoenix all but were locks for the playoffs before coming apart at the end of the year. They get a top 10?

Why Wofford keeps getting poor preseason rankings is beyond me. I mean, what else do they have to prove that they are one of the top programs in the country right now.Wofford has nothing to prove. They have a bonifide system with a great coach. Reloading.

Elon has a very good coach too but in their system, the coach has some great players back.

To me it is a tossup between them who is ranked higher preseason but I do think those are the top three in the Socon (including App St.).

bpcats
May 22nd, 2009, 02:22 PM
I'll admit that I am pleasantly surprised that five Big Sky teams are in the early rankings. Over the last three years the conference has improved quite a bit as all the new coaches have established their programs and their qb's have improved.

The early preseason rankings help whoever is on the list because it is easier to make the playoffs even if the team makes a mistake.

If I had to guess why these teams were ranked:

Montana - reload again. Their biggest question mark would be replacing Bergquist, but both Selle and Larson have been in the system for quite awhile and should miss a beat. Besides UM loves the physical running game and Reynolds should dominate. They get one their old oline coaches back which should help them in pass protection which was a weak spot last year. Their defense should solid again and they may have the most talented wide receiver group.

Weber - Return the big three = qb Higgins, rb-Smith, wr - Toone. Their team is almost a clone of UM's and match up very well with the Griz. Their offense led the conference in total offense. Weber is a very physical defense. Their biggest question mark will be in replacing their linebacking corp and a few cb's. Ranked about right.

Eastern Washington - Most dangerous team in the conference because nobody knows how they will react to not being eligible for the playoffs. On offense this team is as effective as any team in the conference. Nichols will be throwing to a veteren group of receivers in Boyce and Brown. EWU came closer to beating Texas Tech last year than a lot of Big 12 teams. Last year they basically started a whole new oline and the newcomers did a great job. On defense they suffered mental lapses last year as they converted from a 3-3-5 to a tradition 4-3 defense. This year may be more of the same, as I think that they are replacing a lot of starters on defense.

Montana State - The Cats were 1st conference in: total defense;rushing offense;1st downs allowed;least penalized team, fewest sacks allowed...2nd in conference in sacks. That was with starting most of the games with our 2nd and 3rd string defensive lines as the injury bug hit team hard. The defense will be led by Buchannon award candidate Dane Fletcher. This years defense will be better. The only question mark on the defensive side of the ball will be at cb where we replace a solid corner with either a So. or Rsht Freshman. The kicking game is in solid hands with Cunningham who is fairly accurate and can hit a 55yd FG.
The Cats will lose a little bit in the running game as Crawford was a special talent but with all the starters from prior years returning we should be solid.

Biggest question mark - we were dead last in everything relating to a passing game and averaged 4 turnovers a game. The Cats have hired a veteran receiver coach from Miami Ohio, and have recruited a lot talented athletes but until we find an answer at the qb position this team will struggle.

Northern Arizona - Most balanced offense in the Big Sky averaging over 200 yds in passing and receiving. Started off allowing only 19yds per game in rushing yards until a late season collapse and still finished 1st in the conference at 59yds per game. Typically suffer a late season collapse.

GeauxLions94
May 22nd, 2009, 02:55 PM
First of all, it is not a poll, it is a publication's opinion (usually just one writer, like your ballot for the AGS Poll). So grain of salt it heavily.

1. Richmond
2. Appalachian State
3, Villanova
4. UNI
5. Montana
6. Southern Illinois
7. Weber State
8. New Hampshire
9. Elon
10. JMU
11. Central Arkansas
12. W&M
13. E. Washington
14. Maine
15. Cal Poly
16. UMass
17. Montana State
18. Wofford
19. McNeese State
20. Ga Southern
21. N. Ariz
22. Colgate
23. Samford
24. Jacksonville State
25. SCSU

All the bolded are questionable and the order too, IMO. Let's go by conference. First, 1/3 of the FCS conferences/groups are shut out to start. Wrong move. Next it is far too CAA heavy. 7 of the top 16? Wrong. Far too BSC heavy. 5 of the top 21? Wrong. I think UCA and CP have some proving to do before they are ranked.

xtwocentsx

I'd put Texas State in there for 22-24 ... UCA will have a lot to prove offensively with loss of Nathan Brown and Marquez Branson, but have FBS QB (Dick) and returning RB (Brent Grimes).

SCSU should be ranked higher (20th-21st) and I'd have another OVC team (Eastern Kentucky or Eastern Illinois) creeping in.

Tribe4SF
May 22nd, 2009, 02:55 PM

1. Richmond
2. Appalachian State
3, Villanova
4. UNI
5. Montana
6. Southern Illinois
7. Weber State
8. New Hampshire
9. Elon
10. JMU
11. Central Arkansas
12. W&M
13. E. Washington
14. Maine
15. Cal Poly
16. UMass
17. Montana State
18. Wofford
19. McNeese State
20. Ga Southern
21. N. Ariz
22. Colgate
23. Samford
24. Jacksonville State
25. SCSU

xtwocentsx

When you drop the pc conference representation stuff, and actually look at the teams, the heavy weighting toward the power conferences is completely justified. Even if we drop some of the teams you bolded, the power conferences would likely have the next teams to be considered.

Reign of Terrier
May 22nd, 2009, 03:08 PM

I'm not--2 straight middle of the road years, not to mention you lost some of your rocks in the defense and OL needs rebuilding, on top of that your offense wasn't affective

Why Wofford keeps getting poor preseason rankings is beyond me. I mean, what else do they have to prove that they are one of the top programs in the country right now.

I'll take a top 25 rank right now but if we're not top 10 next year I'll be upset (knock on wood)

Syntax Error
May 22nd, 2009, 03:10 PM
When you drop the pc conference representation stuff, and actually look at the teams...Oh yeah, other conferences never have any top 25 teams. I think I should really look at all the teams. It is something I have never considered.

12/22/08 FINAL AGS POLL

1. Richmond (56) 1400
2. Montana 1328
3. Northern Iowa 1266
4. James Madison 1255
5. Appalachian St. 1155
6. Villanova 1115
7. Weber St. 1036
8. New Hampshire 1023
9. Cal Poly 915
9. Wofford 915
11. Southern Illinois 818
12. South Carolina St. 692
13. Central Arkansas 691
14. Maine 514
15. Harvard 479
16. William & Mary 468
17. Eastern Kentucky 441
18. Colgate 402
19. Liberty 399
20. Elon 375
21. Texas St. 319
22. McNeese St. 226
23. Jacksonville St. 192
24. South Dakota St. 183
25. Furman 89

For starters

wideright82
May 22nd, 2009, 03:28 PM
Oh yeah, other conferences never have any top 25 teams. I think I should really look at all the teams. It is something I have never considered.

12/22/08 FINAL AGS POLL

1. Richmond (56) 1400
2. Montana 1328
3. Northern Iowa 1266
4. James Madison 1255
5. Appalachian St. 1155
6. Villanova 1115
7. Weber St. 1036
8. New Hampshire 1023
9. Cal Poly 915
9. Wofford 915
13. Central Arkansas 691
14. Maine 514
15. Harvard 479
16. William & Mary 468
17. Eastern Kentucky 441
18. Colgate 402
19. Liberty 399
20. Elon 375
21. Texas St. 319
22. McNeese St. 226
23. Jacksonville St. 192
24. South Dakota St. 183
25. Furman 89

For starters

so 6 CAA teams is acceptable, but GOD FORBID 7!.... call the masses they put in 7..... SEVEN teams. What ever shall we do.....

CrazyCat
May 22nd, 2009, 03:33 PM
I will take this poll and the opinions of all other posts on the subject and enter all information into my FCS knowledge database program. This program will accuratelly produce my pre-season top 25. I will then throw it in the garbage and ask my girlfriend to do it. :) :D

Seriously, all the information I can get, whether it be some guy who writes for sporting news or all the many posts I've read, will all help me with picking the preseason top 25.

Redbirdz
May 22nd, 2009, 04:21 PM
I don't see Samford ahead of Jacksonville State. It's certainly not the recent history of their records.

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 22nd, 2009, 04:23 PM
I thought Holy Cross was going to be the PL's rep in the pre-season 25 with Lehigh potentially cracking a couple. I'm a little surprised Colgate got the nod. Granted the Raiders are always solid, i just don't think they're going to repeat as league champions. They lost a lot, especially in the trenches. They do have a solid QB and a really good wr.
PL preseason rankings guess, what i think the media will pick
1. Holy Cross
2. Lehigh
3. Colgate
4. Lafayette
5. Fordham
6. Bucknell
7. Georgetown

McNeese75
May 22nd, 2009, 04:34 PM
Tx State fan will not like this one xlolx (and deservedly so). I think the Bobcats should be ranked near or ahead of the Cowboys in the pre-season.

hippy@GSU
May 22nd, 2009, 05:09 PM
I'm not sure GSU deserves to be ranked.

Yea, that surprised me a little bit.

Though, when looking at who is returning from last year's close games you can assume that a good season is due. I hope GSU proves the ranking early and continues to play well enough to climb rather quickly. I think something special is bound to happen.

Go Eagles! GATA!!!

danefan
May 22nd, 2009, 07:09 PM
I thought Holy Cross was going to be the PL's rep in the pre-season 25 with Lehigh potentially cracking a couple. I'm a little surprised Colgate got the nod. Granted the Raiders are always solid, i just don't think they're going to repeat as league champions. They lost a lot, especially in the trenches. They do have a solid QB and a really good wr.
PL preseason rankings guess, what i think the media will pick
1. Holy Cross
2. Lehigh
3. Colgate
4. Lafayette
5. Fordham
6. Bucknell
7. Georgetown

I agree. I think ranking Colgate is the easy way out. Holy Cross definitely has to be the favorite preseason. I have Holy Cross is the 20's, but I wouldn't be surprised to not see any PL teams in a few of the polls.

Tribe4SF
May 22nd, 2009, 09:00 PM
Oh yeah, other conferences never have any top 25 teams. I think I should really look at all the teams. It is something I have never considered.

12/22/08 FINAL AGS POLL

1. Richmond (56) 1400
2. Montana 1328
3. Northern Iowa 1266
4. James Madison 1255
5. Appalachian St. 1155
6. Villanova 1115
7. Weber St. 1036
8. New Hampshire 1023
9. Cal Poly 915
9. Wofford 915
13. Central Arkansas 691
14. Maine 514
15. Harvard 479
16. William & Mary 468
17. Eastern Kentucky 441
18. Colgate 402
19. Liberty 399
20. Elon 375
21. Texas St. 319
22. McNeese St. 226
23. Jacksonville St. 192
24. South Dakota St. 183
25. Furman 89

For starters

No need to be smart. You use part of a quote, and seem to forget that in the post I responded to you talked about conferences, and too many from the CAA and BSC. The final poll shows 15 from the four power conferences....SN poll has 18. You also question two teams being in the poll, and neither is from a power conference.

Replace those two with Delaware and Furman, and we'll be fine!:D

PaladinFan
May 23rd, 2009, 08:09 AM
I'm not--2 straight middle of the road years, not to mention you lost some of your rocks in the defense and OL needs rebuilding, on top of that your offense wasn't affective

I'll take a top 25 rank right now but if we're not top 10 next year I'll be upset (knock on wood)

I'm not arguing that Furman should be top 10. I'm just stating its strange to see Samford ranked ahead of a team who finished with a better record playing a much tougher schedule (I didn't even know Faulkner had a program) and beat them in Birmingham last season.

I'm not terribly worried about it, though. I think this will be a nice rebound year for the Paladins. We faithful have to remember that last season we were breaking in a new offense AND defense.

jmufan999
May 23rd, 2009, 08:28 AM
No need to be smart. You use part of a quote, and seem to forget that in the post I responded to you talked about conferences, and too many from the CAA and BSC. The final poll shows 15 from the four power conferences....SN poll has 18. You also question two teams being in the poll, and neither is from a power conference.

Replace those two with Delaware and Furman, and we'll be fine!:D

you can always count on a W&M fan to provide some intelligence. right on, bro.

jmufan999
May 23rd, 2009, 08:37 AM
Let's go by conference. First, 1/3 of the FCS conferences/groups are shut out to start. Wrong move. Next it is far too CAA heavy. 7 of the top 16? Wrong. Far too BSC heavy. 5 of the top 21? Wrong. I think UCA and CP have some proving to do before they are ranked.

i know a lot of fans say things like this sometimes, and i can understand why. but i think we're missing something VERY key here.

when we talk about FCS football, there is little to no media exposure in general. that's why we're on this site. so it's hard to know about teams you never see.

BUT, think about this. in FBS, aren't there "power" conferences, and other conferences that are just simply not as strong?

is the Sun Belt as good as the SEC/Big XII? not in a trillion years. yes, a Sun Belt team might beat an SEC team, but TOP TO BOTTOM strength is clearly not in favor of the Sun Belt.

So.... wouldn't it follow that the same thing is true in FCS? there ARE power conferences in FCS, and other conferences that are just not on the same level.

don't stop reading yet, i haven't made my point. this is the important part:

i would contend there is an even WIDER gap in football talent in FCS, as compared to FBS. why? ALL FBS teams have the same number of scholarships. but there are MANY FCS teams that have 0 scholarships. that's a HUGE disparity. enormous. so when you're talking about (as an example) the CAA having so many top ranked teams... you also have to consider the fact that if these smaller conferences would pony up and give out scholarships, maybe they'd have more teams in the polls. it's not fair to compare schollie to non-schollie schools. it's not a fair fight. just like FBS against FCS isn't a fair fight. doesn't mean an upset never happens, but they're very rare. unless you're UNH. :)

katstrapper
May 23rd, 2009, 09:41 AM

1. Richmond
2. Appalachian State
3, Villanova
4. UNI
5. Montana
6. Southern Illinois
7. Weber State
8. New Hampshire
9. Elon
10. JMU
11. Central Arkansas
12. W&M
13. E. Washington
14. Maine
15. Cal Poly
16. UMass
17. Montana State
18. Wofford
19. McNeese State
20. Ga Southern
21. N. Ariz
22. Colgate
23. Samford
24. Jacksonville State
25. SCSU

xtwocentsx

UCA #11 ???xnonono2x Without Nathan Brown??xnonono2x

smallcollegefbfan
May 23rd, 2009, 10:12 AM
i know a lot of fans say things like this sometimes, and i can understand why. but i think we're missing something VERY key here.

when we talk about FCS football, there is little to no media exposure in general. that's why we're on this site. so it's hard to know about teams you never see.

BUT, think about this. in FBS, aren't there "power" conferences, and other conferences that are just simply not as strong?

is the Sun Belt as good as the SEC/Big XII? not in a trillion years. yes, a Sun Belt team might beat an SEC team, but TOP TO BOTTOM strength is clearly not in favor of the Sun Belt.

So.... wouldn't it follow that the same thing is true in FCS? there ARE power conferences in FCS, and other conferences that are just not on the same level.

don't stop reading yet, i haven't made my point. this is the important part:

i would contend there is an even WIDER gap in football talent in FCS, as compared to FBS. why? ALL FBS teams have the same number of scholarships. but there are MANY FCS teams that have 0 scholarships. that's a HUGE disparity. enormous. so when you're talking about (as an example) the CAA having so many top ranked teams... you also have to consider the fact that if these smaller conferences would pony up and give out scholarships, maybe they'd have more teams in the polls. it's not fair to compare schollie to non-schollie schools. it's not a fair fight. just like FBS against FCS isn't a fair fight. doesn't mean an upset never happens, but they're very rare. unless you're UNH. :)

Great point. I gave you rep points for that. 100% agree!!! I would even say that the 6th-8th place teams in the CAA would have a winning record and even finish in the top 3 in the NEC or Pioneer-League, and might even win those leagues. When one conference has 6 top 25 teams and another has maybe 1 top 25 team, there is a HUGE gap and, as you said, bigger gap than you will see in the Big 12 compared to the MWC. In the MWC you have 2-3 teams that could be ranked and the Big 12 has probably 4-5. It is not nearly the gap that we have in FCS. Great point!

EWashEagle
May 23rd, 2009, 10:25 AM
BlueHenBill, why so much Smack talk about Eastern Wash, calling them cheaters. The regime before this current staff was involved in all the SELF REPORTED allegations. This regime brought the problems to the NCAA and the NCAA jammed them for it.

Most of the allegations were minor at best. EWU is appealing the ban and accepting the probation and loss of scholarships. This team is one that put up a great fight against Texas Tech (putting up 24 points), was beating Colorado with less than 3 minutes left in the game, and won their last 3 games, including beating a very good Weber team.

Take your smack talk to the proper forum, thanks.

89Hen
May 23rd, 2009, 10:38 AM
xconfusedx I'm not sure I've seen a single Hen fan say they should be ranked.

89Hen
May 23rd, 2009, 10:39 AM
11. Central Arkansas
16. UMass
17. Montana State
20. Ga Southern
21. N. Ariz
23. Samford
24. Jacksonville State

My xconfusedx picks.

danefan
May 23rd, 2009, 10:49 AM
Great point. I gave you rep points for that. 100% agree!!! I would even say that the 6th-8th place teams in the CAA would have a winning record and even finish in the top 3 in the NEC or Pioneer-League, and might even win those leagues. When one conference has 6 top 25 teams and another has maybe 1 top 25 team, there is a HUGE gap and, as you said, bigger gap than you will see in the Big 12 compared to the MWC. In the MWC you have 2-3 teams that could be ranked and the Big 12 has probably 4-5. It is not nearly the gap that we have in FCS. Great point!

Very true. I would agree that 6-8th place team in the CAA would be at the top of the NEC. I'm fine with that.

But that doesn't necessarily mean the 1st place team in the PL, Ivy, OVC, Big South or SWAC team would be at the top of the NEC. In 2002 - yes. In 2008 and on - not nearly as easy an assumption.

The same can be said for most years in the MEAC (not this year b/c SCSU is really good).

That's the gap that people haven't observed.

The gap in FBS has closed tremendously since the reduction to 85 scholly max. There has been no reduction in FCS, but instead leagues and teams have begun increasing their funding and closing the gap from the bottom. With the excetion of the PFL, most of the teams forced into DI by the Dayton Rule are gone (MAAC) or have changed their funding approach (NEC). The PFL will naturally get better as the kids who used to go to the NEC, MAAC and PFL are now concentrated on going to the PFL. And the PFL has great academic institutions that in some cases pull kids away from teh PL and Ivy schools (Dayton is a great example).

My point is the gap in FCS is narrowing, but not because the top is coming down, like in FBS. I think the bottom of FCS is coming up, which, IMO is a good thing.

slycat
May 23rd, 2009, 10:50 AM
Tx State fan will not like this one xlolx (and deservedly so). I think the Bobcats should be ranked near or ahead of the Cowboys in the pre-season.

Thats what I was thinking. Its ok though, the Bobcats seem to play better as a "surprise" team.

And I don't think UCA should be ranked let alone #13.

danefan
May 23rd, 2009, 10:50 AM
11. Central Arkansas
16. UMass
17. Montana State
20. Ga Southern
21. N. Ariz
23. Samford
24. Jacksonville State

My xconfusedx picks.

You don't think Colgate at 23 is a xconfusedx pick? They are the 3rd best team in the PL at best next year. They lost the complete foundation of their team.

89Hen
May 23rd, 2009, 10:53 AM
You don't think Colgate at 23 is a xconfusedx pick? They are the 3rd best team in the PL at best next year. They lost the complete foundation of their team.
I actually had them on my list and removed them at the last second. So yes, they are xconfusedx lite.

89Hen
May 23rd, 2009, 10:56 AM
Very true. I would agree that 6-8th place team in the CAA would be at the top of the NEC. I'm fine with that.
Maybe not every year, but many.

Delaware (2-8 CAA) 38 - Albany (7-0 NEC) 7

The notion that every conference should be recognized in the Top 25 is just plain stupid. xsmhx

SU DOG
May 23rd, 2009, 10:58 AM
Well here we go again. Deja vu - how do you do!!! This time last year it was "Samford will be drilled into the basement of the SoCon, and can't compete there." This year it is "WHAT? How dare Samford be ranked?" You know, it just might be that the pollsters realize that the Bulldogs have some good players, figure to be considerably stronger in all phases of the game than last year, and have great leadership. Pat Sullivan has changed the face of Samford Football. I agree that Samford probably should not be ranked where they were on this poll. IMO, the Dogs should have been a little higher. xsmiley_wix

slycat
May 23rd, 2009, 11:01 AM
Well here we go again. Deja vu - how do you do!!! This time last year it was "Samford will be drilled into the basement of the SoCon, and can't compete there." This year it is "WHAT? How dare Samford be ranked?" You know, it just might be that the pollsters realize that the Bulldogs have some good players, figure to be considerably stronger in all phases of the game than last year, and have great leadership. Pat Sullivan has changed the face of Samford Football. I agree that Samford probably should not be ranked where they were on this poll. IMO, the Dogs should have been a little higher. xsmiley_wix

I think Samford is a good pick. They showed great improvement last year. Its because the Southern regulars want o keep seeing their teams ranked.

danefan
May 23rd, 2009, 11:03 AM
Maybe not every year, but many.

Delaware (2-8 CAA) 38 - Albany (7-0 NEC) 7

The notion that every conference should be recognized in the Top 25 is just plain stupid. xsmhx

Oh I agree. I'm not arguing that at all. I actually don't think conference affiliation should matter for anything. Evaluate each team separately. There is too much reliance on conference affiliation. (that mentality actually hurts Albany).

Of course conference affiliation matters for purposes of difficulty of schedule, but whether JMU plays UR, Nova, UD, W&M as a conference game or not shouldn't matter. The teams are tough without or without the CAA on their jersey.

89Hen
May 23rd, 2009, 11:05 AM
Oh I agree. I'm not arguing that at all. I actually don't think conference affiliation should matter for anything. Evaluate each team separately. There is too much reliance on conference affiliation. (that mentality actually hurts Albany).
xnodx xthumbsupx I was just piling on to your post. xpeacex

89Hen
May 23rd, 2009, 11:07 AM
Well here we go again. Deja vu - how do you do!!! This time last year it was "Samford will be drilled into the basement of the SoCon, and can't compete there." This year it is "WHAT? How dare Samford be ranked?"
I don't think anyone is saying how dare they, but Samford was a 4-5 team against DI last year with only one win over a winning team (GSU 6-5). Questioning their inclusion in the Top 25 is certainly valid IMO.

Bettina90
May 23rd, 2009, 12:28 PM
Richmond has a lot of big shoes to fill to live up to even a top 5 Ranking. I think the potential is there but it's hard to estimate what effect losing Logan and Sidd will have on the Defense, their extreme pressure made things tick.

I think they will be Ok on offense but the big, brusing RB game is gone.

PaladinFan
May 23rd, 2009, 01:12 PM

Why higher? Samford had six wins. Two wins over an 0-10 DII school and a NAIA program that had been in existence for 1 year. Adding to that, they played their toughest conference games in the confines of their home stadium.

Listen, I like Samford. I was one of the ones who didn't think they were just going to get slaughtered. Granted, they played some games closer than I would have originally thought. However, ranking them at this juncture is just nuts.

I think they can be better in 2009. I don't think the schedule falls out as nicely for them, though. They have tough back to back road games in South Carolina to play the Bulldogs and Paladins. They go to the toughest atmosphere in FCS football in Boone. They also head up to play a tough Wofford team in Spartanburg. I still think they have talent, but I don't think they will sneak up on teams this year. But nothing they've done to this point shows me they are worthy of a top 25 ranking, much less a higher ranking.

SU DOG
May 23rd, 2009, 01:45 PM
"Ranking Samford at this juncture is just nuts?" By the same posted criteria, then, is ranking Ga Southern and N. Arizona, who had similar seasons last year to ours (and both ranked ahead of Samford) also nuts? I realize that any poll is completely subjective at this point, and we could argue all summer long and prove nothing. I guess it is all just in fun, and it does give us all a chance to express our own biased views. One thing for sure - NO comment can spoil Samford Fans' excitement and pleasure about being ranked in a poll. It has been a LONG time in coming.

smallcollegefbfan
May 23rd, 2009, 04:48 PM
"Ranking Samford at this juncture is just nuts?" By the same posted criteria, then, is ranking Ga Southern and N. Arizona, who had similar seasons last year to ours (and both ranked ahead of Samford) also nuts? I realize that any poll is completely subjective at this point, and we could argue all summer long and prove nothing. I guess it is all just in fun, and it does give us all a chance to express our own biased views. One thing for sure - NO comment can spoil Samford Fans' excitement and pleasure about being ranked in a poll. It has been a LONG time in coming.

I love how everyone laughs at picks such as GSU and Samford and yet there is a team out there nobody is ranking and nobody expects to have a winning record that everyone will be talking about in November as a top 10-15 team. We all pretend to know yet nobody really does. xthumbsupx

Tribe4SF
May 23rd, 2009, 05:45 PM
I love how everyone laughs at picks such as GSU and Samford and yet there is a team out there nobody is ranking and nobody expects to have a winning record that everyone will be talking about in November as a top 10-15 team. We all pretend to know yet nobody really does. xthumbsupx

Amen to that!xthumbsupx

Looking just at the CAA last year, Delaware was highly ranked....Villanova got little respect, and W&M and Maine got none.

smallcollegefbfan
May 23rd, 2009, 06:13 PM
Amen to that!xthumbsupx

Looking just at the CAA last year, Delaware was highly ranked....Villanova got little respect, and W&M and Maine got none.

I personally did not get why people had Villanova so low. I felt they were a legit top 15 team. I really think people on here are sleeping on them again. They deserve a top 3 ranking and several people aren't giving them one.

Tribe4SF
May 23rd, 2009, 06:44 PM
I personally did not get why people had Villanova so low. I felt they were a legit top 15 team. I really think people on here are sleeping on them again. They deserve a top 3 ranking and several people aren't giving them one.

Well I can brag that I had them top 10 all of last year. Many (myself included) have them as the top pick in the CAA this year. I'll be voting Richmond #1 out of respect for the Champs, but I see the Wildcats as the team to beat.

ngineer
May 23rd, 2009, 08:31 PM
Well I can brag that I had them top 10 all of last year. Many (myself included) have them as the top pick in the CAA this year. I'll be voting Richmond #1 out of respect for the Champs, but I see the Wildcats as the team to beat.

I agree. I also had VU in top 10 preseason last year. To me you try and anticipate who are going to be the top teams in the coming season based on what we know. Not what we hope.

smallcollegefbfan
May 23rd, 2009, 08:36 PM
I agree. I also had VU in top 10 preseason last year. To me you try and anticipate who are going to be the top teams in the coming season based on what we know. Not what we hope.

Yeah I try to as well. I don't know why more people don't have Villanova and App State 1 and 2, or ASU 1 and Nova 2, with the talent they both have, depth, and I think both teams will come out firing this year because they are mad at how their seasons ended.

I expect McNeese State to be top 10 this year but look out for their game against ASU. I really think with the new stadium, a very rowdy crowd, and likely frustration after the probable close loss to ECU, App could make them look worse than they really are like they did with Coastal Carolina in 2005.

I look for Villanova to possibly do the same with Lehigh in their home opener as well. I expect them to be 6-0 heading into their road game against JMU and expect their only possible losses being road games against them and Richmond.

Tribe4SF
May 24th, 2009, 05:58 AM
Yeah I try to as well. I don't know why more people don't have Villanova and App State 1 and 2, or ASU 1 and Nova 2, with the talent they both have, depth, and I think both teams will come out firing this year because they are mad at how their seasons ended.

I expect McNeese State to be top 10 this year but look out for their game against ASU. I really think with the new stadium, a very rowdy crowd, and likely frustration after the probable close loss to ECU, App could make them look worse than they really are like they did with Coastal Carolina in 2005.

I look for Villanova to possibly do the same with Lehigh in their home opener as well. I expect them to be 6-0 heading into their road game against JMU and expect their only possible losses being road games against them and Richmond.

Can't agree on McNeese. That shaky defense lost a bunch of guys, and the only thing we can assume is that the guys stepping in weren't as good as those who've moved on.

JohnStOnge
May 24th, 2009, 06:25 AM
Can't agree on McNeese. That shaky defense lost a bunch of guys, and the only thing we can assume is that the guys stepping in weren't as good as those who've moved on.

I agree. If I were voting in a poll I wouldn't rank McNeese because there's just no way to support doing it on the basis of the guys coming back. Three starters are coming back on defense. Six are coming back on offense but they lost a bunch of people off of a very strong offensive line that (as I've written before) won the battle at the line of scrimmage against every defensive front it played including North Carolina's. In 2009, at least according to the pre season depth chart, they'll be starting three sophomores and two juniors on the offensive line and they'll be backed up by two freshmen, a sophomore, and two juniors. Wide receivers Steven Whitehead and Quniten Lawrence have graduated. Back to the defense: If the pre season depth chart is to be believed, there will be only one senior among the starters.

It's not impossible that they could be good but there's just no way to know right now. They should be very good at the offensive skill positions in spite of the loss of Whitehead and Lawrence but there are a lot of questions elsewhere.

JohnStOnge
May 24th, 2009, 06:40 AM

I'll always harken back to 2005. I don't know but I doubt that Appalachian State was ranked in the top 25. The Mountaineers were coming off a 6-5 2004 season that ended with a loss to 4-7 Western Carolina. Some of the Appalachian State fans on message boards were saying it was time to get rid of the head coach.

Also, as a McNeese fan, I recall the 1997 season. The Cowboys had gone 3-8 in 1996 but in 1997 they went 10-1 in the regular season and fell two points short of the national title as they lost the championship game by 10-9 to Youngstown State.

Uncle Buck
May 24th, 2009, 06:57 AM
I love preseason polls and i for one am glad Delaware isn't ranked! xsmiley_wix

Actually, the best thing about preseason polls, it means we're getting closer to the season. As for this poll, Colgate, too high, Elon, too high.

catamount man
May 24th, 2009, 07:59 AM
Post the SoCon predictions. Thanks!

smallcollegefbfan
May 24th, 2009, 10:09 AM

They did lose a lot and part of what I am saying is that because they are young they will likely improve throughout the year and be much better at the end of the year. I am saying that they will likely lose some games much worse early on than they would later in the year. I really expect McNeese to be very good in 2010, if they can find a QB and a productive RB to replace their two seniors.

Native
May 24th, 2009, 11:09 AM

1. Richmond
2. Appalachian State
3, Villanova
4. UNI
5. Montana
6. Southern Illinois
7. Weber State
8. New Hampshire
9. Elon
10. JMU
11. Central Arkansas
12. W&M
13. E. Washington
14. Maine
15. Cal Poly
16. UMass
17. Montana State
18. Wofford
19. McNeese State
20. Ga Southern
21. N. Ariz
22. Colgate
23. Samford
24. Jacksonville State
25. SCSU

My guess is that Montana State is properly ranked and that Northern Arizona is over ranked. NAU lost key personnel who apparently were not replaced.

Native
May 24th, 2009, 12:16 PM
What is the protocol for ranking a team that is on probation?

I think both EWU and Jacksonville State are in the NCAA dock for 2009.

smallcollegefbfan
May 24th, 2009, 12:51 PM
What is the protocol for ranking a team that is on probation?

I think both EWU and Jacksonville State are in the NCAA dock for 2009.

I rank the 25 best teams but in this case I downgraded both teams due to the uncertainty of how they will do this year knowing they can't make the playoffs.

Cocky
May 24th, 2009, 12:51 PM
We are still appealling but I didn't put us in my top 25.