PDA

View Full Version : Another I-AA Conference on the Horizon?

Gil Dobie
December 2nd, 2005, 07:01 AM
With St Cloud St looking at DI, will a DI NCC(North Central Conference) be a reality? Will NDSU and SDSU be part of it? UND is currently looking into DI, and would in all reality play I-AA football. The same if other NCC schools joined in. Currently the NCC is composed of U of North Dakota, U of South Dakota, Minnesota State (Mankato), Minnesota-Duluth, Augustana, Nebraska Omaha, and St Cloud St. Most people never thought the Minnesota Schools could afford DI. UNO, USD, and UND have been seen as the likely candidates.

SCSU Could Go Division I
Posted Thu, Dec 01, 2005 07:00:08 AM

The FAN Link (http://www.1390thefan.com/modules.php?mod=Pages&page_id=14)

colgate13
December 2nd, 2005, 07:58 AM
The more the merrier IMO. A lot of those schools are D I hockey, so it would be nice to see them in other sports too.

89Hen
December 2nd, 2005, 08:12 AM
With St Cloud St looking at DI, will a DI NCC(North Central Conference) be a reality? Will NDSU and SDSU be part of it?
A 'different' conference may be a reality, but not an additional one. There may already be one too many conferences in I-AA. If an NCC or something like that came to fruition, the GWFC would probably fold. I'd love to see another strong conference in the western US.

henfan
December 2nd, 2005, 08:12 AM
I never understood why there wasn't more cooperation and serious thought put behind the original effort to move the entire NCC to D-I back when NDSU & SDSU made their move. At the time, it seemed really short-sighted on the part of the stragglers; even more so now. Better late than never, I suppose.

Gil Dobie
December 2nd, 2005, 08:17 AM
A 'different' conference may be a reality, but not an additional one. There may already be one too many conferences in I-AA. If an NCC or something like that came to fruition, the GWFC would probably fold. I'd love to see another strong conference in the western US.

Currently the NCC has Central & Western Washington for football. If the DI NCC came about, maybe the Great West would be absorbed into the NCC, with Cal-Poly, SUU, and Cal-Davis being football only memebers. I don't know that the Washington schools are thinking about DI right now.

Gil Dobie
December 2nd, 2005, 08:20 AM
I never understood why there wasn't more cooperation and serious thought put behind the original effort to move the entire NCC to D-I back when NDSU & SDSU made their move. At the time, it seemed really short-sighted on the part of the stragglers; even more so now. Better late than never, I suppose.

There was a vote, and it did not pass, so NDSU, UNC and SDSU moved forward. NDSU even waited a year to see if others would follow. The great institution of South Dakota State is the only one that join us. The DI Hockey schools all voted to stay DII from what I have heard.

89Hen
December 2nd, 2005, 08:24 AM
The DI Hockey schools all voted to stay DII from what I have heard.
See, there's the double standard. You can play DI hockey but DII everything else. :nonono2:

Gil Dobie
December 2nd, 2005, 08:40 AM
See, there's the double standard. You can play DI hockey but DII everything else. :nonono2:

You may want to read this: UND ATHLETICS: School evaluates divisions

University asks NCAA to turn to sport-by-sport basis
UND Presidents Proposal (http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/news/13265612.htm)

colgate13
December 2nd, 2005, 08:47 AM

Seeing that there are significantly less schools that play hockey than football or basketball (as well as there are historical traditions that pre-date divisions), you should show some more understanding Hen!

89Hen
December 2nd, 2005, 09:21 AM
Seeing that there are significantly less schools that play hockey than football or basketball (as well as there are historical traditions that pre-date divisions), you should show some more understanding Hen!
Nope. It defeats the whole position the NCAA has taken toward football IMO.

colgate13
December 2nd, 2005, 09:25 AM
Nope. It defeats the whole position the NCAA has taken toward football IMO.

How so? It's a regional sport that would have trouble existing without this exception. Force every non D I playing hockey to support a D I program, and you might just see NCAA hockey fold... or if not in that extreme, be reduced significantly. Even worse, you might see schools have to make a choice between football or hockey and see D III or DII football programs go...

dbackjon
December 2nd, 2005, 09:28 AM

UND Presidents Proposal (http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/news/13265612.htm)

Much more of a chance of the NCAA eliminating the Hockey exception than doing the sport by sport split.

dbackjon
December 2nd, 2005, 09:31 AM
With St Cloud St looking at DI, will a DI NCC(North Central Conference) be a reality? Will NDSU and SDSU be part of it? UND is currently looking into DI, and would in all reality play I-AA football. The same if other NCC schools joined in. Currently the NCC is composed of U of North Dakota, U of South Dakota, Minnesota State (Mankato), Minnesota-Duluth, Augustana, Nebraska Omaha, and St Cloud St. Most people never thought the Minnesota Schools could afford DI. UNO, USD, and UND have been seen as the likely candidates.

SCSU Could Go Division I
Posted Thu, Dec 01, 2005 07:00:08 AM

The FAN Link (http://www.1390thefan.com/modules.php?mod=Pages&page_id=14)

Before UNC, NDSU and SDSU went D-I, I had always thought the NCC would make a great D-I conference.

89Hen
December 2nd, 2005, 09:32 AM
How so? It's a regional sport that would have trouble existing without this exception. Force every non D I playing hockey to support a D I program, and you might just see NCAA hockey fold... or if not in that extreme, be reduced significantly. Even worse, you might see schools have to make a choice between football or hockey and see D III or DII football programs go...
No, no.... not saying they should change the rule on hockey... they should change the rule on football. I'm just pointing out that they really don't have any ground to stand on when saying schools must keep football at DI.

89Hen
December 2nd, 2005, 09:34 AM

Charles Kupchella is a smart man. :nod:

colgate13
December 2nd, 2005, 09:41 AM
No, no.... not saying they should change the rule on hockey... they should change the rule on football. I'm just pointing out that they really don't have any ground to stand on when saying schools must keep football at DI.

ooooooo....

Looks like I'm a bit slooooooooow this morning.

xcoffeex

bison95
December 2nd, 2005, 09:54 AM
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Gil Dobie
December 2nd, 2005, 10:06 AM
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

What he doesn't know won't kill him. :eyebrow:

Hansel
December 2nd, 2005, 10:10 AM
He has been quoted as saying IAA isn't a higher level of FB than DII, yet wants to change the NCAA governance structure to allow his team to play IAA instead of DII FB

BelgradeBobcat
December 2nd, 2005, 10:23 AM
Before UNC, NDSU and SDSU went D-I, I had always thought the NCC would make a great D-I conference.

I absolutely agree!

89Hen
December 2nd, 2005, 11:06 AM
He has been quoted as saying IAA isn't a higher level of FB than DII, yet wants to change the NCAA governance structure to allow his team to play IAA instead of DII FB
Like I said... Charles Kupchella is a moron.

Jacks99
December 2nd, 2005, 01:17 PM
I don't think it's a coincidence that the schools: UNO, UND and ST Cloud are looking again. I believe I read somewhere that they were considering add rules to how funding could be shared from the DI hocky programs to the other sports. They may be keeping their options open.

Anyway, I think it would work will if they did move up and would agree that the GWFC would either grow or disolve into another.