PDA

View Full Version : new Yankee stadium hosts college football

FUrams7
May 21st, 2009, 11:14 AM
Fordham's new home stadium.. wow.. no were not notre dame.. no were not army either -but we could beat them lol.. apparently Yankee Stadium is willing to host college football in the new stadium.. it would be terrific if Fordham could play one home game there each year.. and call me crazy (yes i know) but a move to 1-A football down the road? we're going scholly in 2010.. and we'd have a home stadium already built in (if made the move).. im allowed to dream.. Fordham to 1-A 2014 xnodx

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4191694

danefan
May 21st, 2009, 11:16 AM
Wow! I'd buy tickets now for the 2013 Army-ND game at Yankee Stadium.

andy7171
May 21st, 2009, 11:18 AM
Is the NCAA field goal record now in jeopardy? :D

ngineer
May 21st, 2009, 11:34 AM
No way will they allow Yankee Stadium to become the regular home to any football team. An occasional 'big' game to bring back memories of the old days in the old stadium maybe, but the field would get torn to smithereens with regular use.

UAalum72
May 21st, 2009, 12:03 PM
No way will they allow Yankee Stadium to become the regular home to any football team. An occasional 'big' game to bring back memories of the old days in the old stadium maybe, but the field would get torn to smithereens with regular use.
That only matters if the Yankers have to use the field in October.

DFW HOYA
May 21st, 2009, 12:20 PM

Games in November wouldn't upset the mix, since the sod tends to get replanted anyway.

FWIW, Fordham was not a regular tenant at Yankee Stadium, that was NYU. Fordham played at the Polo Grounds.

Fordham
May 21st, 2009, 01:16 PM
it appears the expected revenue at the new ballpark isn't quite what they expected.

If we're going to play one FBS game per year it would really be great if it could somehow be there. While I doubt it would ever happen since any FBS school is just trying to fill up the stadium to cash out against a patsy, there may be a school or two out there trying to market themselves either in NYC or at least by doing something a little different and they may be up for it.

That said, I really doubt that the Yankees would ever let their stadium be played in by anyone other than Notre Dame or a top 10 school and Lord knows I hope their not our skid anytime soon.

As far as us moving up to FBS - ha!

DFW HOYA
May 21st, 2009, 02:22 PM
it appears the expected revenue at the new ballpark isn't quite what they expected.

That's why Jerry Jones is trying to front load as many college football games as he can for his place.

I'm sure someone's thought about it. Of course, the stadium options are limited.

Green26
May 21st, 2009, 03:32 PM
Dartmouth used to practice in Yankee stadium, on occasion, on its way to the Penn or Princeton games, which used to be the last game of the season. The monuments in center field were cool. And then the team would stay in New York on Sat. night of the game. Huge fun.

bluehenbillk
May 21st, 2009, 03:50 PM
Since when are the Yankees and October synonymous??

Gil Dobie
May 21st, 2009, 03:50 PM
Just like the old Stadium in the early days, football, boxing, etc.

T-Dog
May 21st, 2009, 03:54 PM
I saw that a potential Army/ND game in 2013 would be the 100th anniversary of the first ever football game in the original Yankee Stadium in 1913 where Notre Dame popularized the forward pass in an upset victory.

As much as I dislike Notre Dame, scheduling this game is a no-brainier,

turbodean
May 21st, 2009, 04:10 PM
Just like the old Stadium in the early days, football, boxing, etc.

Back to the future.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 21st, 2009, 04:19 PM
From the perspective of Yankee stadium, aren't they better served by luring the NY Urban League classic from E. Rutherford and hosting that game? It's a one-off game every year and you'd get much better crowds than any NYU, Fordham, Stony Brook, Hofstra game you could play there.

If they host college football, it's going to be FBS - something with Rutgers or Army.

UAalum72
May 21st, 2009, 07:20 PM
I saw that a potential Army/ND game in 2013 would be the 100th anniversary of the first ever football game in the original Yankee Stadium in 1913 where Notre Dame popularized the forward pass in an upset victory.

The original Yankee Stadium didn't open until 1923. Notre Dame played Army at the stadium from 1925-46.

The 1913 game was at West Point.

Gil Dobie
May 21st, 2009, 07:43 PM
Back to the future.

Modern version could be a WWE event in the Stadium xoopsx

turbodean
May 21st, 2009, 09:45 PM
Notre Dame/Fordham, BC/Fordham, Army/Fordham, Fordham/Columbia... Why not? Dream big!

http://twitpic.com/5o2no

Old original photo of Fordham Football at Yankee Stadium circa 1927-1928 most likely vs. NYU

(if picture doesn't show click here http://twitpic.com/5o2no )

Redwyn
May 22nd, 2009, 06:33 AM

If we're going to play one FBS game per year it would really be great if it could somehow be there. While I doubt it would ever happen since any FBS school is just trying to fill up the stadium to cash out against a patsy, there may be a school or two out there trying to market themselves either in NYC or at least by doing something a little different and they may be up for it.

That said, I really doubt that the Yankees would ever let their stadium be played in by anyone other than Notre Dame or a top 10 school and Lord knows I hope their not our skid anytime soon.

Syracuse is a school consistently trying to make inroads into the NYC market. A game a year at Yankee Stadium would certainly make their lives easier in that regard. While it would be nice to see an FCS team call it home for a game, the Yanks will realize that it's more likely to see a profit from being a neutral ground to a big name....

Cobblestone
May 22nd, 2009, 07:10 AM
I like Notre Dame and all but really, who do they think they are? Do they really think they are the mecca of college football like they were decades ago? In this day and age when everybody in FBS plays on TV, does ND still think they have that special appeal? What happens if they lose that NBC contract? Do they think the Knute Rockne legend and locker room tour are still great recruiting tools when most high school kids today have no idea who Rockne was?

Here again, I like ND but I really think they need to stop living off the old memories.

Bull Fan
May 22nd, 2009, 07:25 AM
Agreed. Notre Dame should stop trying to cash in on their past and move forward. I both love and hate UND. I love the tradition, I love when they can be successful. Though I loathe their arrogance, and for how they try to pull a "Yankees" on themselves. They're just too in love with themselves....

That said, a little nostalgia would be fine when they get their act together. Trotting them out to Yankee Stadium these days would be akin to having a 67-year old woman dress up in her old prom dress and show up to her grandson's prom. I'd be fine with them at the Stadium when (if?) they make a re-appearance in the upper-echelon of football. Do we really see that happening in 2013?

thefortyniner
May 22nd, 2009, 07:27 AM
Modern version could be a WWE event in the Stadium xoopsx

Just don't schedule it during the playoffs...

...oh, wait... xwhistlex

Husky Alum
May 22nd, 2009, 07:30 AM
Now it's only a matter of time before the Red Sox try to do something similar with Fenway, since the two teams love to mimic what each other do.

NU approached the Red Sox in 2001 or 2003 about playing UMass (or UNH) at Fenway. The though would be the game would be played after the World Series, and it would be pretty cool.

The Sox were completely tearing up the infield and outfield, and we figured, "no risk of ruining a field that was going to be torn up anyway".

We even apparently had NESN or someone willing to televise the game, and Sox ownership said "no" they didn't want to have to "open" the stadium in November for a game.

I'm sure if someone wanted to guarantee Sox management a hefty sum of money, a game could be played there.

Cobblestone
May 22nd, 2009, 07:36 AM
Now it's only a matter of time before the Red Sox try to do something similar with Fenway, since the two teams love to mimic what each other do.

NU approached the Red Sox in 2001 or 2003 about playing UMass (or UNH) at Fenway. The though would be the game would be played after the World Series, and it would be pretty cool.

The Sox were completely tearing up the infield and outfield, and we figured, "no risk of ruining a field that was going to be torn up anyway".

We even apparently had NESN or someone willing to televise the game, and Sox ownership said "no" they didn't want to have to "open" the stadium in November for a game.

I'm sure if someone wanted to guarantee Sox management a hefty sum of money, a game could be played there.

You might very well see the Bruins playing on New Year's Day at Fenway in 2010. I've heard a few rumors but nothing that is carved in stone as of yet.

Husky Alum
May 22nd, 2009, 07:43 AM
You might very well see the Bruins playing on New Year's Day at Fenway in 2010. I've heard a few rumors but nothing that is carved in stone as of yet.

That's practically a given. It's likely there's going to be a college hockey double header the day before/after with BC and BU being the "hosts".

There's talk whether they'll play local teams (NU/Maine/UMass) or if they'll play more regional teams like ND, Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin in an attempt to get ESPN to show it on one of their networks.

I'm guessing you'll see BC - Notre Dame and BU - Michigan

aceinthehole
July 23rd, 2009, 07:52 AM
Looks like the new Yankee Stadium is going to be Army's home-away-from-home.

IMO - I can't imagine Fordham or any FCS team getting a game there anytime soon.

Nov. 20, 2010 - Army vs. Notre Dame
Nov. 12, 2011 - Army vs. Rutgers
2012 - Army vs. Air Force
2014 - Army vs Boston College

http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/07/22/rutgers-to-play-army-at-yankee-stadium/

Husky Alum
July 23rd, 2009, 08:48 AM
There's also talk of the Yankees trying to get a Bowl Game in the Stadium for Early December. There was something in the Daily News this morning.

The Yankees have already told Season Ticket Holders like myself that we are NOT going to be included on the ticket distribution plan for the initial ND-Army game (I'm sure the snobs that are Notre Dame are taking the lion's share of the tickets).

I'm sure I'll be able to get Army tickets when Army is the host, as the Yankees said to me "we'll re evaluate ticket distribution after the first game."

I think the 2013 game is Army-ND with Army being the home team (but ND is getting a ton of tickets).

The field is going to run from Home Plate to Center Field, apparently. There was a picture of the field during the Press conference I saw on YES.

It would not surprise me if the Yankees asked some of the SWAC/HBCU's to play a "Classic" at the Stadium - someone mentioned moving the Whitney Young (I think that's what it was called) game back to the Stadium.

I think it's a great idea.

Go...gate
July 23rd, 2009, 04:14 PM
[QUOTE=Cobblestone;1346093]I like Notre Dame and all but really, who do they think they are? Do they really think they are the mecca of college football like they were decades ago? In this day and age when everybody in FBS plays on TV, does ND still think they have that special appeal? What happens if they lose that NBC contract? Do they think the Knute Rockne legend and locker room tour are still great recruiting tools when most high school kids today have no idea who Rockne was?

They are the most historically glamorous and significant program in college football, yes, yes, yes and yes. :)

aceinthehole
July 23rd, 2009, 05:36 PM
As most would suspect, ND will be the "home" team and control the majority of tickets. Army is the "home" team for the other games.

Notre Dame will be the home team and NBC will televise the game, the 50th meeting between the schools. Trost said Yankees suite holders will have priority access to tickets.

Additional Army home games in 2011, 2012 and 2014, one possibly against Rutgers, are to be announced Wednesday. Trost also said the Yankees were in discussion with the NHL about having a hockey game at Yankee Stadium.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2009-07-20-notre-dame-army-yankee-stadium_N.htm

danefan
July 23rd, 2009, 05:42 PM
As most would suspect, ND will be the "home" team and control the majority of tickets. Army is the "home" team for the other games.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2009-07-20-notre-dame-army-yankee-stadium_N.htm

I heard today from someone who works with the Yankees that only 10,000 seats will go on sale to the public. Army will get its required NCAA visiting team allotment and the remaining ~35,000 seats will go to ND, who will distribute them via their alumni and donor lottery system that they use now for ND home games.

The stadium configured for football holds about 5,000 less than for baseball (structural support for the removeable bleachers added to get closer to the sidelines will take away the some of the seats).

10,000 seats to the general public is like having no seats at all. I would venture to say that 400 level seats will have a face value of $200 and will likely sell on stubhub for double. All to watch Army lose by 45 points.

Husky Alum
July 23rd, 2009, 08:19 PM
I heard today from someone who works with the Yankees that only 10,000 seats will go on sale to the public. Army will get its required NCAA visiting team allotment and the remaining ~35,000 seats will go to ND, who will distribute them via their alumni and donor lottery system that they use now for ND home games.

The stadium configured for football holds about 5,000 less than for baseball (structural support for the removeable bleachers added to get closer to the sidelines will take away the some of the seats).

10,000 seats to the general public is like having no seats at all. I would venture to say that 400 level seats will have a face value of $200 and will likely sell on stubhub for double. All to watch Army lose by 45 points.

I'd imagein there would have to be seats set aside for the Cadets at the stadium - unless b/c it's a Notre Dame "home" game, they won't let the Cadets march on the field.

I'd love to see Army/Navy at Yankee Stadium at some point, but I'm sure the stadium isn't big enough.

danefan
July 23rd, 2009, 08:22 PM
I'd imagein there would have to be seats set aside for the Cadets at the stadium - unless b/c it's a Notre Dame "home" game, they won't let the Cadets march on the field.

I'd love to see Army/Navy at Yankee Stadium at some point, but I'm sure the stadium isn't big enough.

You would think that ND would concede that in the deal. Maybe that's included in Army's allotment.

Cobblestone
July 24th, 2009, 07:28 AM
Isn't this all a bit overrated? I've attended (and played in) some high school games at a baseball stadium and for fans and players it basically sucks. Playing on baseball outfield grass is more slippery than most surfaces and from a fans point of view the line of sight isn't much good from any angle. I can certainly understand the nostalgia appeal to something like this but will that appeal really justify what I'm sure will be outrageous ticket prices?

Husky Alum
July 24th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Isn't this all a bit overrated? I've attended (and played in) some high school games at a baseball stadium and for fans and players it basically sucks. Playing on baseball outfield grass is more slippery than most surfaces and from a fans point of view the line of sight isn't much good from any angle. I can certainly understand the nostalgia appeal to something like this but will that appeal really justify what I'm sure will be outrageous ticket prices?

Notre Dame as a boatload of alumni in Metro NYC - this one's a no brainer. It will generate a ton of publicity, good TV ratings, and is a bit nostalgic.

From ND's perspective (and NBC's), it's another game they can televise as well, so it'a a money maker for the school.

The way the field is going to be laid out in the New Stadium (and with all of the seats slightly angled towards home plate, it may be a bit awkward watching the game, but the New Stadium is amazing with all of the amenities.

Coming to a television near you soon... baseball at Fenway Park - where the seats actually face straight ahead and you can get a good seat. Given that the Sox are always looking for additional ways to suck revenue out of the Old Park..

Not sure BC would do it because it would cost them a home game, but as I mentioned before, if you were to get NU-UMass or NU-Holy Cross, or UMass-UNH (I'd be pissed at that one), or NU-UNH, or even Harvard to get involved I'm sure you'd get 20-25,000 fans purely out of interest alone.

bkrownd
July 24th, 2009, 02:06 PM
where Notre Dame popularized the forward pass in an upset victory.

"The beginning of the end". xbawlingx

Every so often I watch rugby games on the tube and dream of what football might have been... Rugby has its own problems, but when they get a play flowing it's great stuff.

Anyhoo, them were the days of the Polo Grounds.