PDA

View Full Version : Comcast to add.. ESPNU & ESPN360

ChickenMan
May 20th, 2009, 01:06 PM
From USA Today... the last paragraph in the Comcast/NFL agreement article:

Comcast also reached an agreement with ESPN to add ESPNU to its lineup heading into the upcoming college football season. Comcast will make ESPN360.com available to its Internet customers as well.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2009-05-19-comcast-nfl-network_N.htm

danefan
May 20th, 2009, 01:08 PM

Comcast also reached an agreement with ESPN to add ESPNU to its lineup heading into the upcoming college football season. Comcast will make ESPN360.com available to its Internet customers as well.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2009-05-19-comcast-nfl-network_N.htm

We have it with FIOS and its awesome. Get a cord to hook up the laptop to your TV and your all set. Pretty decent quality too.

Dane96
May 20th, 2009, 01:22 PM
We have it with FIOS and its awesome. Get a cord to hook up the laptop to your TV and your all set. Pretty decent quality too.

How do you expand the screen. When I watch the Dane games on the live feeds...i get this little box on my brand new 48 inch love child.

You hit full screen...makes it only slightly bigger.

Suggestions?

Big Dawg
May 20th, 2009, 01:26 PM
This is great!

bluehenbillk
May 20th, 2009, 01:30 PM
If you love college football, and chances are you do if you're on here, ESPNU is awesome. Welcome to the club people.

93henfan
May 20th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Sweet! Peter King from SI also reported that Comcast and the NFL are very close to reaching a deal to put NFL Network on the regular (non-premium) Comcast digital lineup and to offer the NFL Red-Zone channel. xthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupx

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/05/17/comcast.nflnetwork/index.html

danefan
May 20th, 2009, 01:35 PM
How do you expand the screen. When I watch the Dane games on the live feeds...i get this little box on my brand new 48 inch love child.

You hit full screen...makes it only slightly bigger.

Suggestions?

Just lower the resolution on your computer. You aren't likely to be able to see entire computer screen on your TV, but you will be able to see it on your computer. You should run it under "clone" mode which will have the TV clone your computer as opposed to blacking out your computer.

You'll have to play around with it, but I watched the UNH game on my 42" last year and got it to take up about 85% of the screen.

ChickenMan
May 20th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Sweet! Peter King from SI also reported that Comcast and the NFL are very close to reaching a deal to put NFL Network on the regular (non-premium) Comcast digital lineup and to offer the NFL Red-Zone channel. xthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupx

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/05/17/comcast.nflnetwork/index.html

that agreement has already been reached...

The deal spans 10 years and would cost Comcast 40 cents to 45 cents per subscriber, down from the NFL's previous asking price of 70 cents. By Aug. 1, the NFL Network will be carried throughout Comcast's service areas on a programming package called Digital Classic, which has around 10 million subscribers.

The NFL threw in access to DirecTV's Red Zone Channel, a part of the Sunday Ticket satellite package with live look-ins to games when teams are inside the 20-yard line.

danefan
May 20th, 2009, 01:36 PM
that agreement has already been reached...

The deal spans 10 years and would cost Comcast 40 cents to 45 cents per subscriber, down from the NFL's previous asking price of 70 cents. By Aug. 1, the NFL Network will be carried throughout Comcast's service areas on a programming package called Digital Classic, which has around 10 million subscribers.

The NFL threw in access to DirecTV's Red Zone Channel, a part of the Sunday Ticket satellite package with live look-ins to games when teams are inside the 20-yard line.

The Red Zone channel is awesome. The guy who does the play-by-play is funny.

Appinator
May 20th, 2009, 02:03 PM

That is great for you guys. ESPNU was added for TimeWarner cable this past season. It was kind of odd that we didn't have it before as it is based out of Charlotte.

I think I remember hearing the guys on PTI mention that the NFL network was going to be on comcast basic too. If so, you guys are SET. TW doesn't have any such deal, and it generally sucks.

89Hen
May 20th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Still debating about the switch to FiOs. CN8 is gone for good, isn't it? I just don't want to switch and then find out I'm missing a bunch of CAA games. :)

93henfan
May 20th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Still debating about the switch to FiOs. CN8 is gone for good, isn't it? I just don't want to switch and then find out I'm missing a bunch of CAA games. :)

Yeah, you're outside the Philly market, so go for it. Those of us in the Philly market are held hostage because of CSN Philly. If we want to watch Phillies/Flyers/Sixers, we have no choice. They even black out ESPN telecasts of Philadelphia games.

GannonFan
May 20th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Yeah, you're outside the Philly market, so go for it. Those of us in the Philly market are held hostage because of CSN Philly. If we want to watch Phillies/Flyers/Sixers, we have no choice. They even black out ESPN telecasts of Philadelphia games.

Doesn't FIOS get CSN Philly? It shows on the channel lineup: http://www22.verizon.com/Residential/FiOSTV/ChannelLineUp/ChannelLineUp.htm?Channels=Essentials

93henfan
May 20th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Doesn't FIOS get CSN Philly? It shows on the channel lineup: http://www22.verizon.com/Residential/FiOSTV/ChannelLineUp/ChannelLineUp.htm?Channels=Essentials

From what I understand, there are 50+ Phillies games you can't get on FIOS. It's a moot point for me, because I can't get FIOS!

Dukie95
May 20th, 2009, 02:31 PM

It's been rebranded as The Comcast Network, and they still have the same CAA football as before.

You can see the games here:

http://www.caasports.com/SportSelect.dbml?&SPSID=48486&SPID=4660&DB_OEM_ID=8500&KEY=&Q_SEASON=2009

Now I think CN8/TCN was dropped from New England, but it should still be everywhere else. I know I still have it in Virginia.

GannonFan
May 20th, 2009, 02:39 PM
From what I understand, there are 50+ Phillies games you can't get on FIOS. It's a moot point for me, because I can't get FIOS!

I'd be curious to see if that's true - I have the Phillies schedule and only 1 game is listed as being on the Comcast Network (old CN8). The only other Phillies games on that channel were ones bumped from CSN Philly because of either Flyers or Sixers playoff games. Otherwise, FIOS gets CSN Philly, FOX, ESPN, and myphl17, the other stations that could carry Phillies games.

89Hen
May 20th, 2009, 02:44 PM
My understanding is that FiOs people here DO get CSN Mid-Atlantic that shows the Caps and Wizards.

89Hen
May 20th, 2009, 02:44 PM
It's been rebranded as The Comcast Network, and they still have the same CAA football as before.

You can see the games here:

http://www.caasports.com/SportSelect.dbml?&SPSID=48486&SPID=4660&DB_OEM_ID=8500&KEY=&Q_SEASON=2009

Now I think CN8/TCN was dropped from New England, but it should still be everywhere else. I know I still have it in Virginia.
My CN8 was dropped in Maryland.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 20th, 2009, 03:06 PM
I get CSN Philly, but very infrequently got CAA games - what a travesty, Sixers preseason games over CAA games. Not a few times I went to my mother-in-law's house to catch games.

I sure hope they're still streaming the CN8-ish games. That was the only way I saw the JMU/'Nova "hail-mary" win last year.

GannonFan
May 20th, 2009, 03:10 PM
I sure hope they're still streaming the CN8-ish games. That was the only way I saw the JMU/'Nova "hail-mary" win last year.

Good point, anyone know if they are going to web-stream the Comcast Network (the replacement for CN8)?

GA St. MBB Fan
June 5th, 2009, 03:52 PM
All of the news releases that I have seen about ESPNU being added to Comcast state that it will be added to the "Digital Classic" tier of service.

I've visited the Comcast website and can not find any such thing. I recently got Comcast because I moved into an apartment and I don't see anything about a "Digital Classic" tier anywhere. Am I missing something? Does this not exists in the southern markets? I live in the Atlanta market, is this "Digital Classic" tier called something else down here?

I've searched the internet and the comcast site ad nauseum only to come up with nothing.

Thanks for any info.

WrenFGun
June 5th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Are comcast customers able to access ESPN360 now? I haven't been able to.

WMTribe90
June 5th, 2009, 05:20 PM
That is great news, finally be able to watch ESPN360 games.

93henfan
June 5th, 2009, 07:31 PM
All of the news releases that I have seen about ESPNU being added to Comcast state that it will be added to the "Digital Classic" tier of service.

I've visited the Comcast website and can not find any such thing. I recently got Comcast because I moved into an apartment and I don't see anything about a "Digital Classic" tier anywhere. Am I missing something? Does this not exists in the southern markets? I live in the Atlanta market, is this "Digital Classic" tier called something else down here?

I've searched the internet and the comcast site ad nauseum only to come up with nothing.

Thanks for any info.

I believe that digital classic means the standard digital lineup (ie. no extra package required). I've read through several articles that were vague, but then came across this one that swayed my thinking that way: http://www.engadgethd.com/2009/06/04/nba-tv-follows-nfl-network-to-comcasts-digital-classic-tier/

Reign of Terrier
June 5th, 2009, 08:38 PM
I hope Charter does this...

GA St. MBB Fan
June 6th, 2009, 10:36 AM
I believe that digital classic means the standard digital lineup (ie. no extra package required). I've read through several articles that were vague, but then came across this one that swayed my thinking that way: http://www.engadgethd.com/2009/06/04/nba-tv-follows-nfl-network-to-comcasts-digital-classic-tier/

Yeah that does give me the inkling that we will see ESPNU on the "basic" digital packages as well. At least I hope. Thanks.

GaSouthern
June 6th, 2009, 11:49 AM
SWEEEEEEEEET!

93henfan
June 6th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Are comcast customers able to access ESPN360 now? I haven't been able to.

I've read that NFL Network will be available on or around August 1st. My educated guess is that all the new changes should come online in the August timeframe, just in time for football season.

GA St. MBB Fan
June 6th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Are comcast customers able to access ESPN360 now? I haven't been able to.I've read that NFL Network will be available on or around August 1st. My educated guess is that all the new changes should come online in the August timeframe, just in time for football season.

In the mean time you could do what I do and use "remote access." Remote access will allow you view ESPN360.com even if you aren't using an internet service that supports ESPN360. This is what I did - I went to a place that offered Wi-Fi and used a service that supported 360 - you also might want to try work. Registered for remote access while I was there (because you have to be "at home" on your service provider to do it - but they don't know the truth!) and then go home. When go to ESPN360 and login under the "remote access" section.

Voila ESPN360 is available.

SeattleGriz
June 6th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Pretty excited to have ESPNU and 360 since I have Comcast as a provider, but still not as excited as being able to drive 5 miles to my local Griz bar and watch the satellite feed on the big screens.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
June 7th, 2009, 10:15 AM
I've read that NFL Network will be available on or around August 1st. My educated guess is that all the new changes should come online in the August timeframe, just in time for football season.

I have Comcast and I've had the NFL Network (as part of a Sports Package) for over two years. Maybe they're moving it to one of the Extended Digital packages? xconfusedx Do they not offer the Sports Package with CBS (old CSTV), Fox College Atlantic/Central/Pacific, NBA TV, NHL TV, etc. in your area?

Go...gate
June 7th, 2009, 06:44 PM
This is Comcast in Central NJ? No sign of it in the Princeton/Lawrenceville/Trenton region.