View Full Version : Sporting News has UR preseason #1

bostonspider
May 20th, 2009, 08:10 AM
Not sure how the rest of their list will go, but for now Richmond stays on top.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/sports/college/college_football/article/URFB20_20090519-222902/268728/

danefan
May 20th, 2009, 08:12 AM
I hate when someone rights an article about a poll and doesn't discuss the rest of the poll or even link to it.

93henfan
May 20th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Sweet! So we get to host the #1 team in the nation in week 2. xthumbsupx Should be a good measuring stick.

BigHouseClosedEnd
May 20th, 2009, 08:16 AM
I hate when someone rights an article about a poll and doesn't discuss the rest of the poll or even link to it.

The Sporting News Preview is on Newstands Now! Go out and get yours today!!!

uofmman1122
May 20th, 2009, 08:34 AM
I wonder where they put us...

danefan
May 20th, 2009, 08:38 AM
The Sporting News Preview is on Newstands Now! Go out and get yours today!!!

Sorry - not gong to buy it just for a poll. They should post it online. Anyone have the copy? Post the poll please.

(and that's why the print newspaper and magazine business is soon to be defunct)

bluehenbillk
May 20th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Article says 4 CAA South teams in the top 12, how bout them apples?

93henfan
May 20th, 2009, 08:47 AM

Richmond, JMU, Nova. Who's the fourth? UNH, Maine, W&M? I'm guessing UNH if they are simply rehashing their final poll from last year, which is what most of them do. Do you think they really do an in-depth roster/schedule analysis of our level (rhetorical)?

89Hen
May 20th, 2009, 08:49 AM
Richmond, JMU, Nova. Who's the fourth? UNH, Maine, W&M? I'm guessing UNH if they are simply rehashing their final poll from last year, which is what most of them do. Do you think they really do an in-depth roster/schedule analysis of our level (rhetorical)?
UNH and Maine? They're North. xpeacex

jmufan999
May 20th, 2009, 08:50 AM

damn skippy, bluehenbillk! CAA REPRESENT! and don't forget... 4 CAA SOUTH teams, 5 CAA teams total in the top 12.

and UR has 18 starters returning? i thought we had a lot last year with 17 (i think). only question i have are the 2 D-ends that left. otherwise, a totally stacked team that will be dangerous.

Ivytalk
May 20th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Local blurb by local paper about local team.xcoolx

The Sporting News preview issue is worth every penny, even when it turns out to be wrong.

93henfan
May 20th, 2009, 08:51 AM
UNH and Maine? They're North. xpeacex

My bad. My brain saw CAA and missed South. Gotta be Bill and B*tch.

BigHouseClosedEnd
May 20th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Sorry - not gong to buy it just for a poll. They should post it online. Anyone have the copy? Post the poll please.

(and that's why the print newspaper and magazine business is soon to be defunct)

But they have a 4 page color pullout on the Great Danes!

The Print Newspaper and and Magazine business is struggling but will never go defunct, because too many people prefer them over reading things online. I fall in that category.

93henfan
May 20th, 2009, 08:54 AM

The Print Newspaper and and Magazine business is struggling but will never go defunct, because too many people prefer them over reading things online. I fall in that category.

You cut your lawn with a reel mower too? xsmiley_wix

danefan
May 20th, 2009, 09:00 AM

Haha! xthumbsupxxlolx

I would buy it if that was the case.......but we all know its not.

Maybe I've been talked into it. I'll go read half of it in the store and then decide....xlolx

danefan
May 20th, 2009, 09:01 AM
You cut your lawn with a reel mower too? xsmiley_wix

I used to cut my lawn in Albany with a reel mower (it was 15ft by 15ft). But then I realized for $25 I could buy a cheap electric weedwacker and do it in half the time with less strain.

Native
May 20th, 2009, 09:03 AM
...Do you think they really do an in-depth roster/schedule analysis of our level (rhetorical)?

Even we don't do that here at AGS. xrolleyesx

But we try! :)

BigHouseClosedEnd
May 20th, 2009, 09:08 AM
I used to cut my lawn in Albany with a reel mower (it was 15ft by 15ft). But then I realized for $25 I could buy a cheap electric weedwacker and do it in half the time with less strain.

What do you do with the other half of your time now? And what else could you have bought with $25?

Lehigh Football Nation
May 20th, 2009, 09:20 AM

The people who prefer print are either dying or switching to online options (computer, Kindle, iPhone).

BigHouseClosedEnd
May 20th, 2009, 09:23 AM
The people who prefer print are either dying or switching to online options (computer, Kindle, iPhone).

I'm 30 and I recently had my annual physical and doc seems to think I'm in good order. I'm not dying. You should offer a 3rd option ... 'Weird' ... maybe the rest of us fall in that category, huh?

93henfan
May 20th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Newspapers are good as collectibles. That's about the only thing I'll miss when they're gone (and by gone, I envision they'll simply consolidate heavily and become internet news sites). The only newspapers I bought in the past probably eight years were the NY times on 9/12/01 and the Philly papers the day after the Phils won the World Series.

danefan
May 20th, 2009, 09:32 AM
What do you do with the other half of your time now? And what else could you have bought with $25?

I have a slightly larger yard now that I actually have to mow with a gas mower.

But I did use that extra time to play 2 or 3 more holes of golf a day. xnodx

Sorry - OT of the thread.

Go Sporting News! xthumbsupx

bluehenbillk
May 20th, 2009, 11:48 AM
The Preview must not be on newsstands yet, went to the Borders next door at lunch & they didn't have it.

BEAR
May 20th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Trees hate newpapers and magazines. xcoffeex

AtlantaMountaineer
May 20th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Checked Borders and Barnes and Noble here in Atlanta and no Sporting News here yet.

AtlantaMountaineer
May 20th, 2009, 01:01 PM
Just ordered my copy online, to be delivered in 5 to 7 days.

Dawg2Rhody
May 20th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Newspapers are good as collectibles. That's about the only thing I'll miss when they're gone (and by gone, I envision they'll simply consolidate heavily and become internet news sites). The only newspapers I bought in the past probably eight years were the NY times on 9/12/01 and the Philly papers the day after the Phils won the World Series.

How about using them for lining the table to eat good ole' Maryland Blue Crabs?

93henfan
May 20th, 2009, 02:08 PM
How about using them for lining the table to eat good ole' Maryland Blue Crabs?

Absolutely! I use them to line the table to eat good ole' Delaware Blue Crabs too.

I-AA Fan
May 20th, 2009, 02:25 PM
2 comments:

1. Richmond never sees the post-season in 2009 despite a more than favorable OOC schedule.

2. Bringing up the clear over-population of the CAA in most any poll just means the posts will be starting in May ...as if August through November is not bad enough.

ngineer
May 20th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Sweet! So we get to host the #1 team in the nation in week 2. xthumbsupx Should be a good measuring stick.

"Momma come down quick, and bring dat measuring stick!!" (with apologies to the Godfather of Soul, James Brown xrolleyesxxcoolx)

Appinator
May 20th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Not sure how the rest of their list will go, but for now Richmond stays on top.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/rtd/sports/college/college_football/article/URFB20_20090519-222902/268728/

I think it's a good thing. You're the champ until someone knocks you off.

BigHouseClosedEnd
May 20th, 2009, 03:03 PM
They showed the Top 12 in the print version of the RTD today. Richmond, ASU, Villanova, UNI were top 4. I believe Montana was 5, SIU 6, Weber 7, UNH 8 ... I think Elon was 9, JMU 10, can't remember 11, WM 12.

BigHouseClosedEnd
May 20th, 2009, 03:07 PM
[QUOTE=I-AA Fan;1345146]
1. Richmond never sees the post-season in 2009 despite a more than favorable OOC schedule.
QUOTE]

Want to bet on this?

What does our OOC schedule have to do with the price of bread? Don't most teams play a 1A game to get paid ... and two teams they think they can beat?

ngineer
May 20th, 2009, 03:07 PM
They showed the Top 12 in the print version of the RTD today. Richmond, ASU, Villanova, UNI were top 4. I believe Montana was 5, SIU 6, Weber 7, UNH 8 ... I think Elon was 9, JMU 10, can't remember 11, WM 12.

Reasonable,,though I think I'll have the Wildcats #2, and the bottom five may be modified a little, but all in all..is Wofford the missing #11?

GannonFan
May 20th, 2009, 03:12 PM
I think it's a good thing. You're the champ until someone knocks you off.

Eh, you're the champ from last year. This is a new year. Different players. I don't even have Richmond winning the CAA, let alone be #1. Shouldn't let last year dictate too much for this year.

Appinator
May 20th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Eh, you're the champ from last year. This is a new year. Different players. I don't even have Richmond winning the CAA, let alone be #1. Shouldn't let last year dictate too much for this year.

I agree to a point with this too, but it's not like they lost their whole squad. Ward returns and we all know that they have solid talent on the team. They can have the preseason #1 in my book, we don't give trophies out for that.

Unless there is a ridiculous "Cinderella story" that occurs which results in a playoff run to the championship, I think it's a fitting badge of honor.

GannonFan
May 20th, 2009, 03:52 PM
I agree to a point with this too, but it's not like they lost their whole squad. Ward returns and we all know that they have solid talent on the team. They can have the preseason #1 in my book, we don't give trophies out for that.

Unless there is a ridiculous "Cinderella story" that occurs which results in a playoff run to the championship, I think it's a fitting badge of honor.

I just have them lower because they lost the RB and the two DE's that were the difference makers last year. Plus I think nova's better than they are. But you're right, no trophies for pre-season polls, so in the end, it matters not. xthumbsupx

89Hen
May 20th, 2009, 03:58 PM

Want to bet on this?
While I wouldn't bet on UR not making the playoffs, it wouldn't really shock me if they didn't. I fully expect UR to be one of the favorites to win the CAA, but I think UR/JMU/VU/W&M/UD are going to do a number on each other. I can't imagine any of those teams winning four.

WrenFGun
May 20th, 2009, 04:03 PM
I agree with 89. I would be shocked to see anyone 4-0, and I expect only 1 or 2 3-1's of that group.

Eight Legger
May 20th, 2009, 04:22 PM

Hey that's fine. We didn't win the CAA last year either, but you won't hear us crying about that!

Eight Legger
May 20th, 2009, 04:24 PM

The newspaper and magazine industry is going defunct because it won't give you what you want, when you want it for free? How unkind of them.

By the way, what do you do for a living? I'd like you to come to my house and do it for free, or at least post the answer to any professionally related questions I have online for free. If you don't, well, I guess your business deserves to go under too.

bostonspider
May 20th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Still have not seen the whole poll, but someone posted the CAA teams in it over on CAAZone..

Seven CAA teams in 2009 Sporting News preseason ranking.

1. Richmond
3. Villanova
8. New Hampshire
10. James Madison
12. William and Mary
14. Maine
16. UMass

danefan
May 20th, 2009, 05:02 PM
The newspaper and magazine industry is going defunct because it won't give you what you want, when you want it for free? How unkind of them.

By the way, what do you do for a living? I'd like you to come to my house and do it for free, or at least post the answer to any professionally related questions I have online for free. If you don't, well, I guess your business deserves to go under too.

Woah nelly! First of all - the industry is going under because its is holding onto the notion that subscriptions and newstands are the way to profit. Google has proven that to be obsolete. I'm not saying they need to provide it for free. Its called advertising revenue.

And here's the big difference between what I do for a living and the print media - you can't get my services anywhere for free. I can get media services everywhere for free now. More likely than not, I'll see the Sporting News preseason top 25 online without having pay for it in the very near future.

BigHouseClosedEnd
May 20th, 2009, 06:13 PM
While I wouldn't bet on UR not making the playoffs, it wouldn't really shock me if they didn't. I fully expect UR to be one of the favorites to win the CAA, but I think UR/JMU/VU/W&M/UD are going to do a number on each other. I can't imagine any of those teams winning four.

Me either. The bottom line is we can lose to Duke and split the 4 games you reference and make the playoffs.

We have 17 redshirt seniors. We know the drill.

BigHouseClosedEnd
May 20th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Reasonable,,though I think I'll have the Wildcats #2, and the bottom five may be modified a little, but all in all..is Wofford the missing #11?

Central Arkansas is #11.

BearsCountry
May 20th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Sporting News is the old Street & Smith's right?

paward
May 20th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Hey that's fine. We didn't win the CAA last year either, but you won't hear us crying about that!

I am with you Eight. I would love to win them both but it has been proven that it does not take winning your confererence to win it all or at a minimin be standing in December. The CAA south is going to be brutal this year and there is no getting around it. I do not feel anyone will go underfeated but any team that make the playoffs will be in decent shape.

FCS_pwns_FBS
May 20th, 2009, 08:32 PM
So UMass, after losing to all of the good CAA teams they played last year, and losing Liam Coen, is a preseason #16?

Am I missing something?

BigHouseClosedEnd
May 20th, 2009, 08:35 PM

Good point. In the last 5 years, the CAA has had 4 teams play in the championship game. 3 of them didn't win the league ... and 2 of them ended up winning the championship. Who cares?

paward
May 21st, 2009, 05:05 AM
Everyone need to be on the look out for Maine. I think they will take the CAA North and compete well with the South teams. They played hard in some games last year. I see them just as I saw UR 3 seasons back. As for polls I do not care to be number in any pre-season poll. Come December I will take it in a heart beat.

uofmman1122
May 21st, 2009, 06:20 AM
So UMass, after losing to all of the good CAA teams they played last year, and losing Liam Coen, is a preseason #16?

Am I missing something?UMASS was overrated the past two seasons in the beginning, too, so I've kind of gotten used to it.

JMU Newbill
May 21st, 2009, 07:03 AM
Can we just stop talking about this please? I just remembered that there is another 3+ months til football season starts.

AppAlum2003
May 21st, 2009, 07:57 AM
Can we just stop talking about this please? I just remembered that there is another 3+ months til football season starts.

Yeah, seriously folks. That's enough time for at LEAST 3 Georgia Southern players to be arrested.

:D Love you, Eagles.

ur2k
May 21st, 2009, 08:25 AM
Still have not seen the whole poll, but someone posted the CAA teams in it over on CAAZone..

I just went and grabbed the hard copy of the paper we have in the office. I guess newspapers do come in handy xnodx.

Here's the list as appears in the Richmond Times Dispatch:
1. Richmond
2. App State
3. Villanova
4. Northern Iowa
5. Montana
6. Southern Illinois
7. Weber State
8. New Hampshire
9. Elon
10. James Madison
11. Central Arkansas
12. William and Mary

14. Maine
16. UMASS

bostonspider
May 21st, 2009, 08:25 AM
Have seen the top 12 now, but not all the 25...

1.Richmond
2.Appalachian State
3.Villanova
4.Northern Iowa
5.Montana
6.Southern Illinois
7.Weber State
8.New Hampshire
9.Elon
10.James Madison
11.Central Arkansas
12.William and Mary

I-AA Fan
May 21st, 2009, 08:31 AM

I am sure they will find a way to justify 6 teams in from the CAA if that is the case Hen.

danefan
May 21st, 2009, 08:49 AM
Have seen the top 12 now, but not all the 25...

1.Richmond
2.Appalachian State
3.Villanova
4.Northern Iowa
5.Montana
6.Southern Illinois
7.Weber State
8.New Hampshire
9.Elon
10.James Madison
11.Central Arkansas
12.William and Mary

I am pretty close to that - but I have SIU at 12.
Anyone think that 6 is too high for SIU?

93henfan
May 21st, 2009, 08:53 AM
Always fun to look back at old preseason polls. Notable underperformers from last year's AGS preseason poll:

4. North Dakota - final record 6-5
6. Massachusetts - 7-5
8. McNeese St - 7-4
9. Eastern Washington - 6-5
11. Delaware - 4-8
14. Youngstown St - 4-8

89Hen
May 21st, 2009, 09:01 AM
Not for regular season. xwhistlex

terrierbob
May 21st, 2009, 10:26 AM
The Terriers appear to be under the radar this year. I like it.

BigHouseClosedEnd
May 21st, 2009, 10:29 AM

Yes. Considering UNH returns about the same number of players ... and beat them at SIU in the playoffs (fairly handily) ... I think I will probably flip flop UNH and SIU.

JmuSkinsfan
May 21st, 2009, 11:41 AM
I'm liking the ranking at #10. It's perfect for JMU. Not too high, and not too low. At this stage in the game I don't think we are going to be taken lightly by ANYONE, but that target on the back is a little smaller when you're not #1 (although JMU seemed to do well with the #1 ranking last year until Montana).

danefan
May 21st, 2009, 11:48 AM
Yes. Considering UNH returns about the same number of players ... and beat them at SIU in the playoffs (fairly handily) ... I think I will probably flip flop UNH and SIU.

That's close to what I have. UNH at 6 and SIU at 12.

My top 12 as of now (subject to change of course)

Nova
Montana
App State
UNI
Richmond
UNH
JMU
Weber St
Elon
SDSU
Wofford
SIU

BDKJMU
May 21st, 2009, 12:20 PM
damn skippy, bluehenbillk! CAA REPRESENT! and don't forget... 4 CAA SOUTH teams, 5 CAA teams total in the top 12.

and UR has 18 starters returning? i thought we had a lot last year with 17 (i think). only question i have are the 2 D-ends that left. otherwise, a totally stacked team that will be dangerous.

15. Would've had 16 but 2 yr starting guard then rising rJr Vernon Eason didn't return.

BDKJMU
May 21st, 2009, 12:27 PM
Everyone need to be on the look out for Maine. I think they will take the CAA North and compete well with the South teams. They played hard in some games last year. I see them just as I saw UR 3 seasons back. As for polls I do not care to be number in any pre-season poll. Come December I will take it in a heart beat.

JMU gets them at home. If it was on the road I would be real worried. But UR and UD both are @ Maine.

terrierbob
May 21st, 2009, 12:30 PM
So...where is Wofford ranked in the mag? (Assuming we are)

BDKJMU
May 21st, 2009, 12:32 PM
None of the last 5 teams picked 1st in the CAA South won the South. 3 of them didn't even make the playoffs:
Since 04'
04' Nova picked 1st, missed playoffs. JMU picked 4th?, finishes 2nd to W&M, wins NC
05' JMU picked 1st, missed playoffs. UR picked 5th, wins South/playoffs
06' UR picked 1st, missed playoffs. JMU picked 2nd, wins South/playoffs
07’. JMU picked 1st, finishes 2nd, makes playoffs. UR picked 4th, wins South, playoffs.
08’ UR picked 1st, finishes 3rd, makes playoffs, wins NC.

I know the CAA preseason predictions aren't worth the paper they're written on.

BDKJMU
May 21st, 2009, 12:38 PM
Last 2 CAA teams to win NC prior to UR:
03' UD won NC, preseason #1 04', finished 9-4, lost in quarterfinals
04' JMU won NC, preseason #1, missed playoffs at 7-4

BDKJMU
May 21st, 2009, 12:42 PM

No. I have them at #4 behind UR, ASU, & Nova. 17 starters back from their last game, 1st round loss to UNH, and remember, they beat UNI last season.

BDKJMU
May 21st, 2009, 12:44 PM
The Terriers appear to be under the radar this year. I like it.

Yeah, when you've got on 9 starters back from that JMU game where Wofford started 13 seniors.