PDA

View Full Version : Where exactly does one fly in to in order to then drive to the lovely

GeauxMcNeese
May 18th, 2009, 02:17 PM
hamlet of Boone?

g-webb1994
May 18th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Charlotte is your best bet.

The Triad (Winston-Salem/Greensboro) could be a cheaper option in some cases, and a straight shot over on I-40 and 421 to Boone. The reason I mention that is that US Airways has a strangehold on Charlotte Douglas Airport, and getting a decent fare in/out of Charlotte is often tough.

citdog
May 18th, 2009, 02:19 PM
you could just hitch a ride in a canoe with burt reynolds, jon voight and ned beatty

GeauxMcNeese
May 18th, 2009, 02:20 PM
thank you sir. not sure I am making the trip at this point, but I am gonna start kinda looking around at flights, etc.

lillycafe
May 18th, 2009, 02:21 PM
CLT (Charlotte) or GSO (Greensboro) or TRI (Tri-Cities).

hamlet of Boone?

AppAlum2003
May 18th, 2009, 02:27 PM
I always try to fly in and out of Greensboro if possible. It's nowhere near as crowded as the RDU and CLT and relatively easy to get to and from.

appmaj
May 18th, 2009, 03:30 PM
I always try to fly in and out of Greensboro if possible. It's nowhere near as crowded as the RDU and CLT and relatively easy to get to and from.

Same here

Mountaineer
May 18th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Can't go wrong with either Charlotte or Greensboro. They are both about equally distant from our lovely hamlet. xthumbsupx

Take the cheapest fare. :D

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/3134/comeboone.jpg

DLS
May 18th, 2009, 04:24 PM
going up 421 is easier than 321 unless theyve finished construction which i dont believe they have.

McNeese75
May 18th, 2009, 04:57 PM
you could just hitch a ride in a canoe with burt reynolds, jon voight and ned beatty

xlolx

McNeese75
May 18th, 2009, 05:00 PM
What about Asheville?

Mountaineer
May 18th, 2009, 05:07 PM
What about Asheville?

You won't save any time on the commute and I'd imagine airfares would be substantially higher.

ASUTed
May 18th, 2009, 05:47 PM
tri cities is where the team flies out of, in johnson city, tn

g-webb1994
May 18th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Asheville is a definite no-go, the airfares out of there are higher than CLT and nearby GSP for that matter.

Heck, if any McNeese fan was making a decent trip out of it, you could put Roanoke or Charlottesville in as options, and then take a day trip down to Boone on the Blue Ridge Parkway, starting up near the Skyline Drive and down. Can take in the nice area of SW Virgina and NW North Carolina.

McNeese75
May 18th, 2009, 10:24 PM
You won't save any time on the commute and I'd imagine airfares would be substantially higher.

OK, then what if I have a house available in Little Switzerland :D

AppMan
May 18th, 2009, 11:30 PM

What do four guys from Atlanta on a rafting trip in North Georgia have to do with the mountains of Western NC? Must be the parts shot on loaction in SC.

MaroonDoom
May 19th, 2009, 07:03 AM
If I was you I would make the trip. Great scenery & nice people.

T-Dog
May 19th, 2009, 07:18 AM
going up 421 is easier than 321 unless theyve finished construction which i dont believe they have.

Nope. Not done yet (or probably ever).

321 going up the mountain is a two-lane road. It's only for 10 miles, but still. Great views though. Just don't drive off the road. xthumbsupx

Flying into Tri-Cities is shorter drive, but it's 40 miles of two-lane road through the deep mountains.

Wildcat80
May 19th, 2009, 09:17 AM
Sounds like a nice trip...for a semifinal game! When does it snow?

thefortyniner
May 19th, 2009, 09:51 AM
hamlet of Boone?

Why would you want to do a thing like that?

In all seriousness, it's a cool town for a weekend. If you have the time, flying into VA and taking the Blue Ridge Pkwy is the way to go. If time is of the essence, take the cheapest fare between Charlotte and Greensboro. There is more to do in Charlotte than Greensboro if you plan to be in town for a day or so before heading out to Boone though.

If you come through Charlotte, hit me up for a beer.

neersnbeers
May 19th, 2009, 10:24 AM
If the leaves are turning the slightest beware of the parkway. Last weekend I took it from my parent's in Alleghany to asheville, took me 5 or more hrs. Had to have seen 10000 motorcycles. Miserable! Especially thru the Ashe Co., Boone area.
If go for greensboro and take the quick trip up 421 to Boone. If you stay in Little Switzerland watch out for the two sections of the parkway that are blocked between Spruce Pine and Blowing Rock.

appmaj
May 19th, 2009, 11:36 AM

When does it not snow???

Mr. C
May 19th, 2009, 11:46 AM
I am not a fan of Charlotte-Douglas Airport. Usually the fares are higher there than other places. I use to do a lot of pricing before I would make trips. Raleigh-Durham is a good option for flights to North Carolina. It is a little over three hours from Boone and the commute is a straight shot on the Interstate to Highway 421 and four lanes of traffic the rest of the way up the mountain. Sometimes you can find good prices from Greensboro (two hours away). Greensboro is a nice small airport that is easy to get in and out of. You should also look into Tri-Cities (Bristol, Johnson City, Kingsport), which is a couple of hours away. Sometimes they have good fares. When I have flown to Baton Rouge and Lake Charles, I have found good flights from Raleigh-Durham to Baton Rouge several times.

Mr. C
May 19th, 2009, 11:51 AM
tri cities is where the team flies out of, in johnson city, tn

ASU flies out of Winston-Salem or Greensboro more frequently, using charters.

WVAPPmountaineer
May 20th, 2009, 08:08 AM
If you can get a reasonable flight into GSO (Greensboro - Triad Regional) I would highly suggest that - It is right off of I-40 on the Boone side and it is an easy, approx 100 mile beautiful drive up the mountain to Boone - 4 lane the entire way ---- However, mark this down - DRIVE THE SPEED LIMIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

89Hen
May 20th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Tri-Cities (Bristol, Johnson City, Kingsport)
Sorry, just had to laugh at that one.

jmufan999
May 20th, 2009, 08:51 AM

now THAT is funny.

mcveyrl
May 20th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Sorry, just had to laugh at that one.

Easy now...that's my stompin' grounds. The "metro" area is fairly large (around 500K). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tri-Cities,_Tennessee

Don't forget the two exclusive golf courses: The Virginia (45K membership) and The Olde Farm (I think it's 35K).

As far as flying out of/in to TRI, it's a small airport that's simple to get in and out of. Even with new restrictions, you can show up about 30 minutes before your flight.

Fares are hit and miss. I'm flying to Va. Beach in a couple of weekends and may have waited too long to get the best deal.

As far as the drive to Boone. It's definitely a lot of curvy roads, but it's not too bad if you take your time.

89Hen
May 20th, 2009, 09:43 AM
Easy now...that's my stompin' grounds. The "metro" area is fairly large (around 500K). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tri-Cities,_Tennessee

Don't forget the two exclusive golf courses: The Virginia (45K membership) and The Olde Farm (I think it's 35K).
I'm sure it's lovely, but the name is funny. My county has twice the number of people as the Tri-Cities area and we laugh at our county "Airport". xpeacex\

BTW, nice looking clubs there. xthumbsupx

mcveyrl
May 20th, 2009, 09:58 AM
I'm sure it's lovely, but the name is funny. My county has twice the number of people as the Tri-Cities area and we laugh at our county "Airport". xpeacex\

BTW, nice looking clubs there. xthumbsupx

I don't even know if I would call it lovely, but it is what it is. :D The airport is great for the business community because it's an affordable option and we don't have to drive to Knoxville or Charlotte.

The only way those clubs survive is the airport. It's not uncommon to see the Dolphins team jet there - Wayne Hizenga (sp?) is a member at both. I recently sat at a charity dinner with the GM of The Olde Farm and he donated a round for 4 and I can't remember what the market value was, but it was ridiculous.

89Hen
May 20th, 2009, 10:09 AM
I don't even know if I would call it lovely, but it is what it is. :D The airport is great for the business community because it's an affordable option and we don't have to drive to Knoxville or Charlotte.

The only way those clubs survive is the airport. It's not uncommon to see the Dolphins team jet there - Wayne Hizenga (sp?) is a member at both. I recently sat at a charity dinner with the GM of The Olde Farm and he donated a round for 4 and I can't remember what the market value was, but it was ridiculous.
I was looking at trying to play a round at Pete Dye Golf Club in WV and it is in the middle of friggin nowhere. Private club in the Top 100 in the US and I have no idea who possibly is a memeber there. 4 hours from DC, 3 hours from Columbus, 2 hours from Pittsburgh... Not sure how well it's doing, but where do you find enough people to pony up $50k in Bridgeport, WV?

mcveyrl
May 20th, 2009, 10:17 AM
I was looking at trying to play a round at Pete Dye Golf Club in WV and it is in the middle of friggin nowhere. Private club in the Top 100 in the US and I have no idea who possibly is a memeber there. 4 hours from DC, 3 hours from Columbus, 2 hours from Pittsburgh... Not sure how well it's doing, but where do you find enough people to pony up $50k in Bridgeport, WV?

I guess the theory is: if you got 50K to drop on a club membership, you got a plane that can get you to the middle of nowhere.

purplepeopleeaterv2
May 22nd, 2009, 05:10 PM
Can't go wrong with either Charlotte or Greensboro. They are both about equally distant from our lovely hamlet. xthumbsupx

Take the cheapest fare. :D

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/3134/comeboone.jpg

Talk about being off the beaten path. Never realized Boone was THAT far in the mountains.

crossfire07
May 23rd, 2009, 03:33 PM
I was going to load up the Harley for another ride to North Carolina since the ride to the Tar Heels was so awesome last year but I am going to take my 8 year old grandson on his first McNeese road trip via air so......

I liked Continentals LCH - CLT for 252 a seat but since it is my grandsons first air travel we are doing first class. he says he has been wanting to ride a jet plane since he was 6 ha ha so I am going to make it an awesome trip for him. you can save money flying a little further east and drive further but the flight times really suck.

proasu89
May 23rd, 2009, 05:23 PM

Has snowed every month except Julyxbawlingxxlolx

Greensboro usually has the best fares and it's the easiest drive. 1:30 to 1:45 drive.

proasu89
May 23rd, 2009, 05:28 PM

Sounds like your last trip up beautiful Eagle Creekxeekx

rudy1648
May 23rd, 2009, 09:08 PM

Yeah,,if you were trying to get to north Georgia. You got your geography wrong. He was asking best way to get to Boone.

As for me,,,,when I am in Charleston,,,,I always paddle faster when I hear banjo music.

rudy1648
May 23rd, 2009, 09:10 PM
Talk about being off the beaten path. Never realized Boone was THAT far in the mountains.

Why do you think we are called "mountaineers"?

seantaylor
May 23rd, 2009, 10:51 PM
No reason to ever set foot in Boone. Even snowboarding there sucks. Ugly women and hillbillies everywhere.

ASU
May 24th, 2009, 03:50 AM
No reason to ever set foot in Boone. Even snowboarding there sucks. Ugly women and hillbillies everywhere.

We know that you guys from Georgia Southern know about ugly women.....your problem is that most women probably hide from you when or if you ever went to Boone.

AppMan
May 24th, 2009, 06:24 AM

Not really that far. Only a 45 minute drive from I-77 on Highway 421.

AtlantaMountaineer
May 24th, 2009, 09:32 AM
I was going to load up the Harley for another ride to North Carolina since the ride to the Tar Heels was so awesome last year but I am going to take my 8 year old grandson on his first McNeese road trip via air so......

I liked Continentals LCH - CLT for 252 a seat but since it is my grandsons first air travel we are doing first class. he says he has been wanting to ride a jet plane since he was 6 ha ha so I am going to make it an awesome trip for him. you can save money flying a little further east and drive further but the flight times really suck.

Man do I envy you having a grandson to take to football games, or a son for that matter. You will have a great time in Boone. There are so many things to take your grandson to see in addition to the game, i.e. Grandfather's Mtn, Tweetsie RR, Blue Ridge Parkway, Price Lake. And the opening game in our renovated stadium should be awesome. Hope you have a great time and the Mountaineer faithfull treat you with hospitality. Counting down the days here.