PDA

View Full Version : Most Anticipated OOC Game?

89Hen
May 18th, 2009, 02:14 PM
At this point, what do you think will be the best or most important OOC game in I-AA this coming year? No, games against I-A's don't count. xnonox

BTW, this is the worst year in at least 5 I can remember for marquis match-ups. :(

BigHouseClosedEnd
May 18th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Furman @ Delaware.

citdog
May 18th, 2009, 02:17 PM
a chance to show the colors in yankee territory!

at princeton on 19 september

Cobblestone
May 18th, 2009, 02:19 PM
a chance to show the colors in yankee territory!

at princeton on 19 september

You plan on going Citdog? I'm sure you'd fit right in on an Ivy campus. xrolleyesx

Cobblestone
May 18th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Speaking of the Ivy League... I always look forward to our game with Brown.

citdog
May 18th, 2009, 02:20 PM
You plan on going Citdog? I'm sure you'd fit right in on an Ivy campus. xrolleyesx

i will be there.....and have bought a GARRISON SIZED 3RD NATIONAL FLAG TO TAILGATE UNDER!

Skjellyfetti
May 18th, 2009, 02:21 PM
McNeese at App will be a good one.

mcveyrl
May 18th, 2009, 02:27 PM
McNeese at App will be a good one.

I can't decide between this and Cal Poly at Montana. Lemme hear the arguments...

bjtheflamesfan
May 18th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Gotta think its JMU...getting the #1 team in the country much of last year and a national semifinalist to come to Williams Stadium I think that will be the big game of the year on the LU schedule (besides WVU but games vs 1-A/FBS schools arent in this discussion)

mcveyrl
May 18th, 2009, 02:28 PM
At this point, what do you think will be the best or most important OOC game in I-AA this coming year? No, games against I-A's don't count. xnonox

BTW, this is the worst year in at least 5 I can remember for marquis match-ups. :(

What about JMU-VMI???? xeekx

I know. Make my own poll....

AppAlum2003
May 18th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Armanti.
Edwards.

Even though I voted for the Cal Poly at Montana game :)

GannonFan
May 18th, 2009, 02:40 PM
I like the McNeese/Appy St game. You don't see it very much, it's the Southland getting a team going against one of the big East Coast conferences, and, well, there aren't a lot of good choices out there. May not end up being much of a game, but it beats the others.

Go...gate
May 18th, 2009, 02:41 PM
i will be there.....and have bought a GARRISON SIZED 3RD NATIONAL FLAG TO TAILGATE UNDER!

You really going?

93henfan
May 18th, 2009, 02:46 PM
No mention of the historic first regular reason meeting of Delaware and Delaware State? xwhistlex

Isn't it amazing what a total blowout does to interest and race-baiting media coverage?

citdog
May 18th, 2009, 02:47 PM
You really going?

WOULDN'T MISS IT FOR THE WORLD! A CHANCE TO FINALLY YELL

NO QUARTER WITH YANKEE SCUM!!!!!!

GannonFan
May 18th, 2009, 02:59 PM
No mention of the historic first regular reason meeting of Delaware and Delaware State? xwhistlex

Isn't it amazing what a total blowout does to interest and race-baiting media coverage?

Del St's basically starting the year 0-3, with the forfeit to NC A&T, the blowout by Michigan, and likely the blowout by UD as well. I imagine it's a tough season to look ahead to if you're a Hornet fan.

TexasTerror
May 18th, 2009, 03:01 PM
McNeese @ App.

We've seen Cal Poly v Montana before. Got to see something new! Two very proud FCS programs.

Native
May 18th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Weber State at Wyoming!

Dukie95
May 18th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Furman @ Delaware.

Is that the only SoCon/CAA matchup on the slate this year? If so, then that has to be it. Bragging rights for two top conferences are on the line.

Otherwise, the options aren't great.

Mountaineer
May 18th, 2009, 03:18 PM
Is that the only SoCon/CAA matchup on the slate this year?

xlolx xlolx

xwhistlex

Tribe4SF
May 18th, 2009, 03:18 PM
I voted Tenn. St/ FAMU, because the loser can probably kiss any at-large chance goodbye.

Mountaineer
May 18th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Weber State at Wyoming!

xoopsx

xreadx

TheValleyRaider
May 18th, 2009, 03:27 PM
As far as marquee matchups, these are the top choices:
McNeese State at Appalachian State
Cal Poly at Montana
Cal Poly at Weber State

Other games with good playoff implications (at least for one team):
Lehigh at Villanova
North Dakota State at Sam Houston State
Georgia Southern at South Dakota State
James Madison at Liberty

Not a terrible list, but does seem to be missing some real pizzazz. Hopefully some good conference battles pick up the slack

appmaj
May 18th, 2009, 03:28 PM
McNeese/App

Native
May 18th, 2009, 03:30 PM
xoopsx

xreadx

Ooops! xrolleyesx

jmufan999
May 18th, 2009, 03:31 PM
let me see Cal Poly without "The Freak".... Mr. 3,567 straight games with a TD.... let me see them score the same way and i might say that game (against Montana). i mean, we're talking about the most prolific receiver (at least for consecutive games with a TD) in NCAA history. can't tell me that's not going to make a huge difference. i believe Dally also graduated?

i'll take McNeese St. vs. App State. um, Liberty-JMU is not going to be a competitive game (not so sure how competitive McNeese-App will be either, but we'll see). i just don't see it. LIBERTY LOST TO LAFAYETTE AND PRESBYTERIAN LAST YEAR. should i remind anyone that we beat the #1, #3, #4, #5, #7, and #12 teams nationally? give me a break on that one. so unless they've brought in the most talented class in FCS history, i feel very confident we'll win that one. go ahead and get mad. i do care. deeply.

Eaglesrus
May 18th, 2009, 03:33 PM
For me the most anticipated OOC game is GSU - Albany, but the fact that it's our first game of the season has a lot to do with that.

FCS_pwns_FBS
May 18th, 2009, 03:36 PM
I'm going to go with JMU-Liberty. McNeese and Cal Poly might be question marks, but with JMU-Liberty you have a couple of teams that can go places.

Obvious I am personally looking forward to GSU-SDSU most of all on the list, but I figured no one wanted a homer vote.

93henfan
May 18th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Is that the only SoCon/CAA matchup on the slate this year? If so, then that has to be it. Bragging rights for two top conferences are on the line.

Read up, Rip Van Winkle: http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56799

Dukie95
May 18th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Read up, Rip Van Winkle: http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56799

xoopsx

Wow, I had actually forgotten about that.

ToTheLeft
May 18th, 2009, 04:38 PM
let me see Cal Poly without "The Freak".... Mr. 3,567 straight games with a TD.... let me see them score the same way and i might say that game (against Montana). i mean, we're talking about the most prolific receiver (at least for consecutive games with a TD) in NCAA history. can't tell me that's not going to make a huge difference. i believe Dally also graduated?

i'll take McNeese St. vs. App State. um, Liberty-JMU is not going to be a competitive game (not so sure how competitive McNeese-App will be either, but we'll see). i just don't see it. LIBERTY LOST TO LAFAYETTE AND PRESBYTERIAN LAST YEAR. should i remind anyone that we beat the #1, #3, #4, #5, #7, and #12 teams nationally? give me a break on that one. so unless they've brought in the most talented class in FCS history, i feel very confident we'll win that one. go ahead and get mad. i do care. deeply.

If it was in H-Burg it would be one thing. It's not. It will be competitive. I don't think we'll win, but it will be competitive... We might have lost to those teams but we beat Elon... so it's proof we can beat decent teams. JMU is better than decent... and BOTH of our teams are different this year, but we know how to win, especially at home.

McNeese75
May 18th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Pokes and Neers xnodx (and I hope its a good game xeekx)

BigHouseClosedEnd
May 18th, 2009, 05:11 PM

I hooked one! xlolxxlolx

danefan
May 18th, 2009, 05:12 PM
If it was in H-Burg it would be one thing. It's not. It will be competitive. I don't think we'll win, but it will be competitive... We might have lost to those teams but we beat Elon... so it's proof we can beat decent teams. JMU is better than decent... and BOTH of our teams are different this year, but we know how to win, especially at home.

Except you lost a ton to graduation right?

JackTwice
May 18th, 2009, 05:33 PM
I went homer pick.

First, the MVFC needs to do a better job OOC if they want more than two teams in the playoffs.

Second, SDSU needs this one to have any dream of being 8-3 considering the other OOC games are at Minnesota and at Cal Poly.

ToTheLeft
May 18th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Except you lost a ton to graduation right?

Yeah, but we still have guys who got plenty of PT the past two years thanks to all the blowouts and cupcake games on the schedule. O-Line is full of vets, defense has good experience, QB situation will be fine, regardless of who's there. RB will be the big issue, to be honest.

Regardless, we have a lot of a defense back that held Elon to 3 points. That alone is enough to make it a game.

SideLine Shooter
May 18th, 2009, 06:40 PM
I think JMU @ LU will be a ROMP! I would love to shoot it.

Seawolf97
May 18th, 2009, 08:05 PM
I have to go with our opener at Hofstra 9/5 . We never beat the Pride so this will be good indicator as we start with 63 scholarships this year.

ToTheLeft
May 18th, 2009, 08:14 PM
I have to go with our opener at Hofstra 9/5 . We never beat the Pride so this will be good indicator as we start with 63 scholarships this year.

Yeah, LU fans will be watching this one, too. If you guys get a serious upgrade from the extra schollies, it makes the BSC schedule a lot more interesting.

Grizo406
May 18th, 2009, 08:24 PM
Its a homer pick, but I voted for Cal Poly/Montana game.

Only because the Mustang fans that come to Missoula are some of the most classy, knowledgeable, and geniune people that I've ever met.

Win, or lose, the fans that come to Washington/Grizzly Stadium have always been terrific representatives of Cal Poly!

aceinthehole
May 18th, 2009, 09:03 PM
I'd probably pick one of the Dakota games. I like big intersectional matchups.

I'm also guessing the interest in the Lehigh/'Nova game will be greatly reduced, if the Mountain Hawks stumble in their home opener. :)

Hoyadestroya85
May 18th, 2009, 11:00 PM
Cal-Poly and Montana or Cal-Poly and Weber State..
but personally.. Villanova-Penn

BEAR
May 18th, 2009, 11:12 PM
UCA v. WKU..if they're still FCS. NOt sure. Seen some of their posters on here.

jstclmet
May 19th, 2009, 07:16 AM
Had you just offerred one of the CP games, it would have been a slam dunk for me. I chose the CP @ MT game. However, I think both games will be defining games for all 3 teams.

McNeese/APP St
Lehigh/Nova
Liberty/JMU

Will only be defining games for one of the two teams. It will only be news if one of the favorites should stumble. And then the question will be, was the underdog that good, or was the favorite overrated.

andy7171
May 19th, 2009, 07:26 AM
I voted for NDSU going to SHSU just to piss MPLS off.

89Hen
May 19th, 2009, 07:32 AM
UCA v. WKU..if they're still FCS. NOt sure. Seen some of their posters on here.
They've been out for at least four years now, maybe more?

LUHawker
May 19th, 2009, 01:24 PM
I'm also guessing the interest in the Lehigh/'Nova game will be greatly reduced, if the Mountain Hawks stumble in their home opener. :)

I think I already expressed that isn't happening this year and you should mark it down. Lehigh should be tough this year.

ToTheLeft
May 19th, 2009, 01:37 PM
Had you just offerred one of the CP games, it would have been a slam dunk for me. I chose the CP @ MT game. However, I think both games will be defining games for all 3 teams.

McNeese/APP St
Lehigh/Nova
Liberty/JMU

Will only be defining games for one of the two teams. It will only be news if one of the favorites should stumble. And then the question will be, was the underdog that good, or was the favorite overrated.

If Liberty beats JMU and we run the table in conference it sets us up for playoff consideration, so don't make it seem like an LU upset means nothing in the long run. We have a very winnable conference and a winnable schedule overall (at Lafayette might be difficult, but who knows at this point.), so an upset of the Dukes would put us in serious consideration.

Whether or not we can beat JMU is another story all together. One that will be discussed at length the week of the game, I'm sure.

DaBigBlue
May 19th, 2009, 08:48 PM
In Norfolk, Va on Sept 5, it will be Old Dominion vs Chowan, our first game in over 70 years. xrotatehx

Native
May 19th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Weber State at Wyoming!

Ooops! Allow me to revise and extend my remarks.

1. McNeese at App State should be interesting if McNeese makes it a good game.

2. Cal Poly at Montana early in October may not be as much of a game. With so many replacements on offense, I am not sure the ponies will be ready to go so early in the season. It will be too early to be a knock out game for CP, and it will not be a knock out game for Montana should they lose. On the other hand...

3. Cal Poly at Weber might be a better game. By the end of November, the CP offense will have had time to get into a groove. Moreover, the Mustangs will likely have a bit more of a chip on their shoulder towards Weber State, with something to prove coming off of last year's playoff beat down by the Wildcats. There is a very good chance this will be a make-or-break game for WSU. At a minimum it is likely to have playoff implications for both teams.

Head Cat
May 19th, 2009, 11:34 PM
West Chester at Delaware.
:)xrotatehxxlolxxnodx:Dxrolleyesxxcoolx:p
xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolx

Just kidding.

Hoyadestroya85
May 20th, 2009, 12:01 AM
West Chester at Delaware.
:)xrotatehxxlolxxnodx:Dxrolleyesxxcoolx:p
xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx xlolxxlolx

Just kidding.

i don't understand the point of playing against a division II team when you're an upper level I-AA team... I'm glad Villanova stopped doing it years ago

katstrapper
May 20th, 2009, 07:23 AM
I voted McNeese v App St.

T-Dog
May 20th, 2009, 07:50 AM
McNeese/App is the most anticipated OOC game obviously for both the game and the tailgating. xthumbsupx

The game might not be all that great, but the tailgating will not disappoint. xnodx

89Hen
May 20th, 2009, 08:06 AM
i don't understand the point of playing against a division II team when you're an upper level I-AA team... I'm glad Villanova stopped doing it years ago
You should be. That loss to Loch Haven cost you a playoff bid. xnodx

appmaj
May 20th, 2009, 08:32 AM

xnonox This is the same thing FBS teams use against us...xnonono2x

footballer23
May 20th, 2009, 09:55 AM
I voted NDSU-Sam Houston- for obvious reasons... but you can't forget about the season opener between NDSU and Wagner...

Hoyadestroya85
May 20th, 2009, 01:17 PM
xnonox This is the same thing FBS teams use against us...xnonono2x
I don't care.. The fact that some teams play 3 and 4 of these teams is ridiculous

GannonFan
May 20th, 2009, 01:21 PM
You should be. That loss to Loch Haven cost you a playoff bid. xnodx

They lost to New Haven, actually. A DII team, though. xthumbsupx

GannonFan
May 20th, 2009, 01:28 PM

UD has done it basically for the guarantee of a home game and the money that comes along with it. Basically the same reason top level FBS teams play low level FBS teams or FCS teams. If you can make a lot of money off your home games (and UD makes about $500k profit) then you do. Simple economics. Look for Del St to replace West Chester, though - same guarantee of a home game, and same guarantee of a win.

I don't care.. The fact that some teams play 3 and 4 of these teams is ridiculous

Who, outside of the PFL, does that? You see mainly teams play 1 DII or lower team per year, and in rare occassions you see a team play 2. But 3 or 4? Teams that plan on going to the playoffs don't play those schedules.

89Hen
May 20th, 2009, 01:49 PM
They lost to New Haven, actually. A DII team, though. xthumbsupx
Loch Haven, New Haven... why you trying to ruin all my fun with Nova posters this week? xnonox :p

GannonFan
May 20th, 2009, 01:58 PM
Loch Haven, New Haven... why you trying to ruin all my fun with Nova posters this week? xnonox :p

I just doubt that any of those 2 or 3 guys who constitute the fanbase were even fans way back when almost 10 years ago. Wanted to save them the research time to find out about what happened in nova football in the past. xlolx

Hoyadestroya85
May 20th, 2009, 04:12 PM
I just doubt that any of those 2 or 3 guys who constitute the fanbase were even fans way back when almost 10 years ago. Wanted to save them the research time to find out about what happened in nova football in the past. xlolx
It's interesting how you talk about it like UD dominates Villanova.. but the record shows that Villanova leads the all time series. And I was ten years old ten years ago.. but yes i remember quite a lot about that team.. 1998 That was Brian Westbrook's incredible 1,000 rushing 1,000 receiving yard season (he should have won the Payton) in 1999 he got hurt in the offseason and redshirted, Ducarmel Augustin and Roger Harriott split carries in his absence. All during that time Chris Boden was setting records that would be later broken by Brett Gordon. Matt Nagy was the QB for UD at about that time as well.

purplepeopleeaterv2
May 22nd, 2009, 05:08 PM
Homer vote:

JMU vs Liberty

A chance for Liberty to possibly have a marquee win and a chance for JMU to continue its reign in Virginia..........except..........crap..........we play Richmond at Home this year......

gbhmt
May 23rd, 2009, 11:52 AM
Gotta go with the best of the West

JohnStOnge
May 23rd, 2009, 02:35 PM
Naturally McNeese at Appalachian State is the one I anticipate the most. My perception is that McNeese has historically done a lot better during the regular season against quality non conference I-AA/FCS competition than it's done in the playoffs against such. I hope that holds because they'll need to play their best to stay in the game. Plus I don't know what kind of team McNeese is going to have next season. I think it'll be an "oil check" game such that they can kind of see where they are.

crossfire07
May 23rd, 2009, 03:19 PM
some say the McNeese App State game might not be much of one but they are truly the minority. I know it is a game that fans down here have been wanting for a long time and will attend.the football program at App State wanted a quality program to open up their new stadium and a game IT WILL BE. if they wanted an easy win they could have gotten that for a lot less money.both schools have great football traditions, more so than any other 2 teams playing an ooc game.You have to give credit to both schools for having the balls to schedule a game of this kind so early in the year that could possibly have negative effects later in the season. as for the tailgating, it is already the hands down winner. not even a contest. just go ahead and give up now. the food, hospitality between the fans from both sides will definitely be an event to remember and I am excited about getting to me some great App State fans and eating some of their good cooking as well.

Joe knows http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p117/fxdci/?action=view&current=mcneesequote.flv

appfan2008
May 23rd, 2009, 05:03 PM
a little homer vote but the mcneese game should be a real treat