PDA

View Full Version : Anybody open on Sept. 2nd

griz37
December 1st, 2005, 11:36 AM
The Griz are open for this date & are seriously considering play Carroll College. For those of you who don't know Carroll is located in Helena, MT. They are 3 time defending national champs & on their way to a 4th. The bad thing? They are NAIA. I see no reason why the mighty Griz should slump down & play such a lowly opponent. Can you imagine the smack if we don't win by a 100. There is absolutely nothing to gain by playing this game. I am thinking of writing a letter to the AD, if any team has an open date on their sched. I would love to be able to show him some different options.

Hansel
December 1st, 2005, 11:39 AM
The Griz are open for this date & are seriously considering play Carroll College. For those of you who don't know Carroll is located in Helena, MT. They are 3 time defending national champs & on their way to a 4th. The bad thing? They are NAIA. I see no reason why the mighty Griz should slump down & play such a lowly opponent. Can you imagine the smack if we don't win by a 100. There is absolutely nothing to gain by playing this game. I am thinking of writing a letter to the AD, if any team has an open date on their sched. I would love to be able to show him some different options.
Given the Griz situation they are going to have to play a sub IAA to get enough home games. Why not an in-state program with a good following like Carroll?

griz37
December 1st, 2005, 11:40 AM
Given the Griz situation they are going to have to play a sub IAA to get enough home games. Why not an in-state program with a good following like Carroll?

We are already set up to have 7 home games.

griz37
December 1st, 2005, 11:45 AM
Here is our schedule
9/2 Open
9/9 South Dakota St.
9/16 Central Washington- DII
9/23 Sacramento St.
9/30 at Portland St.
10/7 at EWU
10/14 NAU
10/21 at Weber St.
10/28 Idaho St.
11/4 Cal Poly
11/11 at No. Colorado
11/18 Montana St.

7 home games, 4 road games

bobcatfan06
December 1st, 2005, 11:47 AM
Texas State had 7 home games and 4 road this year. It's pretty fun, getting to go to 7 (well 9 now) home games in a year.

catbob
December 1st, 2005, 11:53 AM
If the Griz have 8 home games with 2 of them being sub IAA, they will not hear the end of it.

Torero Tradition
December 1st, 2005, 12:00 PM
:coach:
We will play ya! After getting snubbed in the playoff selection this year, we are working on a tougher schedule for future years. We are the 2005 National I-AA Football Champions, Mid-Major. :hurray: We won the Pioneer Football League championship and finished the year 11-1. We are just about to finalize a game with Cal Poly as well. In fact, we will take a 2 for 1, but you better not buy out of your game down here! :beerchug:

http://usdtoreros.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/usd-m-footbl-body.html

Also of interesting note: xcoffeex

http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=72052
----------------------------------------------------------
"the PFL Championship will be discontinued after the 2005 championship game hosted by the PFL North champion, Nov. 19. Without a league championship game, the establishment of a NCAA-sponsored post-season opportunity for one or more PFL teams becomes a high priority.

“We are hopeful that the strength of our league will be emphasized through the round-robin format,” said Dave Blank, director of athletics at Drake and current chair of the PFL. “We feel strongly that the NCAA should be interested in investigating ways to provide our student-athletes with some form of post-season opportunity.”

Who wants to play us.... Ole Ole Ole Ole.....

Catsfan
December 1st, 2005, 12:04 PM
Seven home games is plenty, why not ravel for this one. I'm betting Temple is having trouble filling their schedule, and I think some of the C-USA teams may have openings as well.

Torero Tradition
December 1st, 2005, 12:07 PM
We are ranked #43 in the latest GPI and in the top #30 in the latest SportsNetWork Poll. Who wants to play San Diego?

Why don't you guys drop Central Washington and play us on 9/16... sounds like unless I-AA football goes to a 12 game schedule (which they may not) then the September 2nd date for you guys will not be available.

Coastal89
December 1st, 2005, 12:09 PM
Here is our schedule
9/2 Open
9/9 South Dakota St.
9/23 Sacramento St.
9/30 at Portland St.
10/7 at EWU
10/14 NAU
10/21 at Weber St.
10/28 Idaho St.
11/4 Cal Poly
11/11 at No. Colorado
11/18 Montana St.

UCF canceled the 9/16 game with the SC Gamecocks. Some rearranging of your schedule could set up a good game with a good payday for UM. The guarantee to UCF was $500k.

Gil Dobie
December 1st, 2005, 12:10 PM
Here is our schedule

Carroll beat Central Washington in 2003 & 2004, and they didn't play in 2005. :)

catbob
December 1st, 2005, 12:11 PM
We are ranked #43 in the latest GPI and in the top #30 in the latest SportsNetWork Poll. Who wants to play San Diego?

Why don't you guys drop Central Washington and play us on 9/16... sounds like unless I-AA football goes to a 12 game schedule (which they may not) then the September 2nd date for you guys will not be available.

Isn't there talk of SD playing MSU next year?

putter
December 1st, 2005, 12:12 PM
Our $1 million dollar deficit is still hanging over us. We are considering playing Carroll because they are NAIA and we don't have to pay them that much to bus from Helena. San Diego would be a fun game and help both teams out (with the 7 D1 win rule.)

ASU Kep
December 1st, 2005, 12:12 PM
We will play ya! After getting snubbed in the playoff selection this year, we are working on a tougher schedule for future years. We are the 2005 National I-AA Football Champions, Mid-Major. :hurray: We won the Pioneer Football League championship and finished the year 11-1. We are just about to finalize a game with Cal Poly as well. In fact, we will take a 2 for 1, but you better not buy out of your game down here! :beerchug:

"the PFL Championship will be discontinued after the 2005 championship game hosted by the PFL North champion, Nov. 19. Without a league championship game, the establishment of a NCAA-sponsored post-season opportunity for one or more PFL teams becomes a high priority.

“We are hopeful that the strength of our league will be emphasized through the round-robin format,” said Dave Blank, director of athletics at Drake and current chair of the PFL. “We feel strongly that the NCAA should be interested in investigating ways to provide our student-athletes with some form of post-season opportunity.”

Forgive my ignorance, but this has been something I havn't understood for a long time and would like to get it cleared up. For a while I thought the definition of a "mid-major" program was a program that competed on the I-AA level but did not provide scholarships. But then why wouldn't the Ivy's and a lot of those NE teams, like Lafayette, be considered mid-major? Can anybody clear this up for me?
And for what it's worth, I think it'd be good for Montana to play an in-state NAIA like that to open the season were it not for their already fairly easy schedule. Look at how many top-notch I-A's play crappy I-AA programs for their first game of the year. It's a warm-up, and especially being in-state I'm sure those guys would be jacked about playing one of the two big name schools in the state. I'd be careful though. They'd play their hearts out for sure.

Mustang OL
December 1st, 2005, 12:15 PM
We are just about to finalize a game with Cal Poly as well.
What is your info source? When, where would the game be? The Mustangs would be more than willing to introduce the Torero to real 1-AA competition.

putter
December 1st, 2005, 12:17 PM
It was also mentioned in a newspaper article that with the $450,000 that Oregon paid the Griz that many of the other I-A schools in the area won't play the Griz becase they have now priced themselves out of contention.

Hansel
December 1st, 2005, 12:33 PM
are 12 games allowed in 06???

henfan
December 1st, 2005, 12:36 PM
If the NCAA adds a 12th game, both Delaware and Delaware State will be available. :rolleyes:

putter
December 1st, 2005, 12:36 PM

I don't think I-AA has voted on that yet.

Hansel
December 1st, 2005, 12:42 PM
I don't think I-AA has voted on that yet.
I know that but certain years allow 12 games, just wondering when the next time that happens is :)

ucdtim17
December 1st, 2005, 12:44 PM
Well I guess SD is serious about stepping up their schedule next year. It was mentioned in the Davis Enterprise that SD is one of the schools looking at filling one of a few open dates on the UCD schedule.

henfan
December 1st, 2005, 12:44 PM
See the article. It's an issue that will be addressed next April by the NCAA.

UAalum72
December 1st, 2005, 12:45 PM
Forgive my ignorance, but this has been something I havn't understood for a long time and would like to get it cleared up. For a while I thought the definition of a "mid-major" program was a program that competed on the I-AA level but did not provide scholarships. But then why wouldn't the Ivy's and a lot of those NE teams, like Lafayette, be considered mid-major? Can anybody clear this up for me?
There's no 'official' definition of 'mid-major'. The Patriot League does give equivalencies (I think the Athletic Dept. basically buys out their student loans ?). The Ivy League told Don Hansen and probably The Sports Network that they don't want to be considered MM (probably rightly, with their large stadiums, history, and the amount of need-based aid they give). The Northeast Conference limits its members to less than the maximum number of athletic aid packages.

Mid-Major can be whatever anyone wants to say it is.

UAalum72
December 1st, 2005, 12:47 PM
If the NCAA adds a 12th game, both Delaware and Delaware State will be available. :rolleyes:
But not to each other, right?

griz37
December 1st, 2005, 12:55 PM
The Blue Hens in Missoula again, no way last time you guys were mean to us. :)

ASU Kep
December 1st, 2005, 01:00 PM
There's no 'official' definition of 'mid-major'. The Patriot League does give equivalencies (I think the Athletic Dept. basically buys out their student loans ?). The Ivy League told Don Hansen and probably The Sports Network that they don't want to be considered MM (probably rightly, with their large stadiums, history, and the amount of need-based aid they give). The Northeast Conference limits its members to less than the maximum number of athletic aid packages.

Mid-Major can be whatever anyone wants to say it is.

Thanks for attempting to clear that up for me, though it still seems pretty confusing. So basically any team that does not give out schollies can be considered a mid-major if they want to or is it conference-based? What are the benefits? Seems like normal I-AA's avoid em like the plague.

Torero Tradition
December 1st, 2005, 01:01 PM
We are very serious about stepping up our schedule... i think we will only have about 3-4 out of conference games due to our conference merging together. The game against Cal Poly will be up in SLO. There is no talk about a game with MSU, however we were able to schedule your womens basketball team to come down here in December. Playing UC Davis is one possibility we are looking at. We are looking for good exposure. Playing Montana would help as it seems if you want to compete out west, it goes through Missoula. Cal Poly will probably give us a rude welcome (as would many I-AA scholarship schools... but it will be for the best...we are heading in the right direction) it will help the school to start kicking in some serious money cause right now they put in about :twocents:

Okay, i'll quit :bawling: about not making the playoffs this year! xlolx

Tod
December 1st, 2005, 01:09 PM
We are very serious about stepping up our schedule... i think we will only have about 3-4 out of conference games due to our conference merging together. The game against Cal Poly will be up in SLO. There is no talk about a game with MSU, however we were able to schedule your womens basketball team to come down here in December. Playing UC Davis is one possibility we are looking at. We are looking for good exposure. Playing Montana would help as it seems if you want to compete out west, it goes through Missoula. Cal Poly will probably give us a rude welcome (as would many I-AA scholarship schools... but it will be for the best...we are heading in the right direction) it will help the school to start kicking in some serious money cause right now they put in about :twocents:

Okay, i'll quit :bawling: about not making the playoffs this year! xlolx

You should be in the Great West. You'll have to add schollies, but that would be great for your progam and the Great West needs another team or two or three.

FlyBoy8
December 1st, 2005, 01:18 PM
9/2 Open
9/9 South Dakota St.
9/23 Sacramento St.
9/30 at Portland St.
10/7 at EWU
10/14 NAU
10/21 at Weber St.
10/28 Idaho St.
11/4 Cal Poly
11/11 at No. Colorado
11/18 Montana St.

So is playing 12 games without a bye week some kind of macho mountain man thing?

xlolx

might want to recheck your schedule/sources.

griz37
December 1st, 2005, 01:22 PM
So is playing 12 games without a bye week some kind of macho mountain man thing?

xlolx

might want to recheck your schedule/sources.

That is the schedule, I have no idea what they were thinking not giving the Griz a bye week. If we were to advance to the title game it would 16 weeks w/no rest. They don't even do that in the NFL!!

UAalum72
December 1st, 2005, 01:33 PM
Thanks for attempting to clear that up for me, though it still seems pretty confusing. So basically any team that does not give out schollies can be considered a mid-major if they want to or is it conference-based? What are the benefits? Seems like normal I-AA's avoid em like the plague.
It's more like they were avoided first, then Hansen and TSN created the 'mm' label; it's not that schools want to be 'mm', but some moved from D-III to D-I without the resources to fund FB schollies, others had been D-I officially playing D-III when the NCAA ended that option. They just want to play football at some level.

There are no benefits, other than a lower budget and the possible trophy of a mythical mm championship.

colgate13
December 1st, 2005, 01:40 PM

The mid-major/non mid-major divide is down NCAA equivalency lines.

Patriot League schools give athletically related need-based financial aid. A mid-major such as San Diego does not. There is a key distinction to be made is that a PL school sets aside a certain amount of money only to be spent on football players that 'qualify' for it. A mid-major makes no such financial committment. The student has to be a 'regular' student who happens to play football. Sure, they are recruited and what not, but they are competing against the entire school's application pool for money. The school makes no special consideration financially for them.

So in essence, some Patriot League schools give out the most athletically related aid in all of I-AA (due mostly to their $45,000 price tags next year).

Another distinction that makes this aid an equivalency is that football players get entire grant to meet need financial aid, so in essence their jobs and loans are bought out because they play football.

The Ivy League is its own animal. They do not consider ANY aid to be athletically related, however due to their enormous endowments, there really isn't any distinction that can be made between athletes and 'regular' students. They spend a ton of dough on EVERYONE. For them, the key distinction that keeps them from being mid-major is who they play and who they are able to recruit.

dbackjon
December 1st, 2005, 02:01 PM
Here is our schedule
9/2 Open
9/9 South Dakota St.
9/23 Sacramento St.
9/30 at Portland St.
10/7 at EWU
10/14 NAU
10/21 at Weber St.
10/28 Idaho St.
11/4 Cal Poly
11/11 at No. Colorado
11/18 Montana St.

How is 9/2 available? That would be 12 games...

VictorG
December 1st, 2005, 02:05 PM
If the Griz have 8 home games with 2 of them being sub IAA, they will not hear the end of it.

Yes we will. But it will take until the end of November after we walk over the Cats! :)

VictorG
December 1st, 2005, 02:06 PM
How is 9/2 available? That would be 12 games...

That is IF a 12th game is approved. Last I heard it was still in the "talking" stage.

ASU Kep
December 1st, 2005, 06:44 PM
The mid-major/non mid-major divide is down NCAA equivalency lines.

Patriot League schools give athletically related need-based financial aid. A mid-major such as San Diego does not. There is a key distinction to be made is that a PL school sets aside a certain amount of money only to be spent on football players that 'qualify' for it. A mid-major makes no such financial committment. The student has to be a 'regular' student who happens to play football. Sure, they are recruited and what not, but they are competing against the entire school's application pool for money. The school makes no special consideration financially for them.

So in essence, some Patriot League schools give out the most athletically related aid in all of I-AA (due mostly to their $45,000 price tags next year).

Another distinction that makes this aid an equivalency is that football players get entire grant to meet need financial aid, so in essence their jobs and loans are bought out because they play football.

The Ivy League is its own animal. They do not consider ANY aid to be athletically related, however due to their enormous endowments, there really isn't any distinction that can be made between athletes and 'regular' students. They spend a ton of dough on EVERYONE. For them, the key distinction that keeps them from being mid-major is who they play and who they are able to recruit.

Awesome, thanks for the info. :hurray: .

Ronbo
December 1st, 2005, 07:35 PM
Here is a little info about Carroll College.

Private Catholic School, about 2000 students.
$20,000 annual tuition is what I've heard.

Football.
They offer 29 full schollies but most are split. They have 100 out for football so that is pretty amazing considering how expensive it is to go there.

Six straight Conference Championships.
2002 National Champs
2003 National Champs
2004 National Champs
2005 Ranked #1 (12-0) and favored to get their 4th straight.

Here is their field. I think they average 6,000 attendance.

http://www.carroll.edu/images/main/athletics/nelsonaction.jpg

colgate13
December 1st, 2005, 07:41 PM
Here is a little info about Carroll College.

Private Catholic School, about 2000 students.
$20,000 annual tuition is what I've heard.

Football.
They offer 29 full schollies but most are split. They have 100 out for football so that is pretty amazing considering how expensive it is to go there.

Expensive??? For 1988 maybe. That's half the price of most private schools. Heck, that's public school tuition in some Northeast states.

Ronbo
December 1st, 2005, 08:00 PM
It's more than double Montana's tuition.

HensRock
December 1st, 2005, 08:09 PM
That is the schedule, I have no idea what they were thinking not giving the Griz a bye week. If we were to advance to the title game it would 16 weeks w/no rest. They don't even do that in the NFL!!

Delaware did exactly that in 2003. 16 straight games. No break. 15-1.

blackfordpu
December 1st, 2005, 08:11 PM

I don't know if you will get smacked if you don't win by 100. Sam hung 77 on NAIA Bacone at the beginning of the season and we were told that was excessive.

McTailGator
December 1st, 2005, 08:14 PM

That will be voted on in April (I think).

It is expected to pass.

So prepare for 12 games, as early as 2006.

ASU Kep
December 1st, 2005, 08:17 PM
Has anybody ever gone 16-0?

HensRock
December 1st, 2005, 08:19 PM
Has anybody ever gone 16-0?

No. At least not in I-AA. Closest was Colgate who came into that championship game in 2003 undefeated at 15-0.

blackfordpu
December 1st, 2005, 08:43 PM

I wish we could schedule the Griz rather than Texas. It would be great to go to Missoula or to have you guys down here again. :)

AZGrizFan
December 1st, 2005, 09:28 PM
Our $1 million dollar deficit is still hanging over us. We are considering playing Carroll because they are NAIA and we don't have to pay them that much to bus from Helena. San Diego would be a fun game and help both teams out (with the 7 D1 win rule.)

Well, Technically putter, it can only help ONE team out...to seven D-1 wins.... :smiley_wi :smiley_wi

AZGrizFan
December 1st, 2005, 09:30 PM
Here is our schedule
9/2 Open
9/9 South Dakota St.
9/23 Sacramento St.
9/30 at Portland St.
10/7 at EWU
10/14 NAU
10/21 at Weber St.
10/28 Idaho St.
11/4 Cal Poly
11/11 at No. Colorado
11/18 Montana St.

Man--I know where I'M going to be on 11/4!!! SLO, California here I come!!! That's going to rival the NAU trip! xprost2x xprost2x

griz37
December 13th, 2005, 10:28 PM
AZ That Cal Poly game is in Missoula again.

JMU Duke Dog
December 13th, 2005, 10:33 PM
I would suggest coming to JMU in 2006 but I think we have finally filled our schedule next year with Appalachian State and Austin Peay coming to Bridgeforth Stadium in Harrisonbug.

PantherMan
December 13th, 2005, 10:39 PM
Stupid question, but I thought that IAA teams were limited to 11 games in the regular season? Doesn't Montana already have 11 on the schedule? Again, I might be very wrong, just thought I heard that somewhere.

AZGrizFan
December 13th, 2005, 10:40 PM
AZ That Cal Poly game is in Missoula again.

****. Now I'm screwed. I don't want to have to go clear to Weber for a game....thank God for Dukes Sports Bar here...owned by a guy from Butte, and he gets all games on satellite... :nod: :nod: :nod:

slostang
December 14th, 2005, 12:20 AM

Why don't you pony up for scholarships and join the GWFC. I would not mind a trip every other year to San Deigo.

bcrawf
December 14th, 2005, 08:58 AM
Man, I feel bad for South Dakota State. Trey have to play at Wash-Griz one week and in the UNI-Dome the next- OUCH!

McNeeserocket
December 14th, 2005, 10:54 AM

If the NCAA passes the rule to allow 12 games for I-AA, then you could schedule McNeese for Sept. 2nd. McNeese would like to schedule a home-away series with you all. I think it would be great to play you guys in September. Of course we may have to play each other again in late November or in December. Seriously, McNeese would be interested!!! Anytime these two teams play you got yourself a "GANE."

griz37
December 14th, 2005, 11:30 AM
If the NCAA passes the rule to allow 12 games for I-AA, then you could schedule McNeese for Sept. 2nd. McNeese would like to schedule a home-away series with you all. I think it would be great to play you guys in September. Of course we may have to play each other again in late November or in December. Seriously, McNeese would be interested!!! Anytime these two teams play you got yourself a "GANE."

I would love for the Griz to play McNeese even if it was a 1 time deal in Lake Charles, even though we have lost 2 in a row down there.

REALBird
December 14th, 2005, 12:18 PM
Would love to see Illinois State vs The Grizz, but unfortunately Illinois State has a game lined up with Kansas State.