PDA

View Full Version : Delaware Adds WVU Transfer Lineman

93henfan
May 15th, 2009, 06:39 PM
http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20090515/SPORTS/90515042/WVU+lineman+transferring+to+Delaware

Gino Gradkowski, a 6-foot-3, 290-pound offensive lineman who spent the last two seasons at West Virginia, said today he is transferring to the University of Delaware.

He'll have three seasons of eligibility remaining, beginning this year...

Nice pickup by the Hens to add some depth to our biggest question mark going into the season: the O-Line. This certainly shores up C/G. Tackles will be interesting to watch in summer camp.

ValleyChamp
May 15th, 2009, 08:05 PM
xrolleyesx

YoUDeeMan
May 15th, 2009, 08:18 PM
If Burrows comes back our line looks good enough to make our offense dangerous again. Pat is the real deal, our backs are looking good, our TE is a beast, and our WRs are solid. C and G look set. T is the question, but you have to figure someone will step up. Certainly we will be much better than last year on O. And with our D is looking to be a wrecking ball and turnover forcing machine, you can count on some short fields for easy scores for the Hens.

Certainly, our new OC will make some DC's lose sleep - especially early in the season when no one will have film on us. This ain't your father's Hensmobile.

Attention CAA...UD will challenge for the South.

Head Cat
May 15th, 2009, 09:10 PM
The CAA South goes through Philly, baby.

paward
May 16th, 2009, 07:00 AM

By way of Richmond!

bluehenbillk
May 16th, 2009, 07:30 AM
The pickup of a 4-star center or guard really helps UD's weakest area, the OL. If Gino comes in & plays it really leaves OT as the only real concern on the team.

I expect UD to fully be in the mix for a playoff spot.

ChickenMan
May 16th, 2009, 07:42 AM
This may help.. but the OL is STILL a major concern.

93henfan
May 16th, 2009, 07:45 AM
xrolleyesx

Let those without I-A transfers cast the first stone...

Northern Iowa 2009 Roster

79 Fiacco, Jason 6-2/310 OL RS SR Transfer from Iowa State
96 Branch, Darren 6-2/250 DL RS SO Transfer from Bowling Green
5 Hord, D.J. 6-1/198 WR SR Transfer from Notre Dame

elon77
May 16th, 2009, 08:21 AM
Does UD only recruit transfers, or does it just seem that way?Maybe they just publicize theirs more than anyone else does. I was just wondering, it seems they have a new 1a transfer every week. I'm not trying to ruffle,:), anyones feathers, I am just inquiring.

93henfan
May 16th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Does UD only recruit transfers, or does it just seem that way?Maybe they just publicize theirs more than anyone else does. I was just wondering, it seems they have a new 1a transfer every week. I'm not trying to ruffle,:), anyones feathers, I am just inquiring.

We seem to have good luck with adding impact transfers where needed (last year's QB being a notable failure).

I see you guys have a Rutgers transfer on your OL. Again, let those who have no 1-A transfers cast the first stone...

I haven't looked at all the rosters, but you may have been hard pressed to find a top 10 FCS team last year that didn't have transfers. It's a fact of life in FCS. Delaware does get a bit more attention because many of ours turn up on NFL draft day, sometimes in the first round. We've also relied heavily on QB transfers.

Regarding the actual numbers, citing GoHens.net's recruiting page, our 2009 recruiting class consists of:

25 High School recruits (20 letters of intent, 5 walk-on or other)
3 Transfers (2 I-A, 1 JC)

So to answer you original question, no, it only seems that way.

ChickenMan
May 16th, 2009, 08:37 AM

It's not the quantity.. it's been the 'quality'

UD takes no more transfers than most FCS schools.. it just that the Hen's transfers seem to achieve more success.. ;)

jstclmet
May 16th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Let those without I-A transfers cast the first stone...

Casting away

93henfan
May 16th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Yeah, all of Villanova's transfers go to the basketball team.

elon77
May 16th, 2009, 11:06 AM
We seem to have good luck with adding impact transfers where needed (last year's QB being a notable failure).

I see you guys have a Rutgers transfer on your OL. Again, let those who have no 1-A transfers cast the first stone...

I haven't looked at all the rosters, but you may have been hard pressed to find a top 10 FCS team last year that didn't have transfers. It's a fact of life in FCS. Delaware does get a bit more attention because many of ours turn up on NFL draft day, sometimes in the first round. We've also relied heavily on QB transfers.

Regarding the actual numbers, citing GoHens.net's recruiting page, our 2009 recruiting class consists of:

25 High School recruits (20 letters of intent, 5 walk-on or other)
3 Transfers (2 I-A, 1 JC)

So to answer you original question, no, it only seems that way.
We don't seem to get very many, but glad to have the gentleman from Rutgers, he's pretty dang good!xnodx

Hoyadestroya85
May 16th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Yeah, all of Villanova's transfers go to the basketball team.
Yes, but they have to sit out a year before Playing.. I have no problem with taking transfers, I just think the rules should be altered so that It deters players from doing so.. i.e. force them to sit out a year or make them lose a year of eligibility. I just think its ridiculous that every time there as a kid from a major school announcing that he's gonna transfer, a thread pops up in AGS about it.. What are you Delaware fans thoughts about forcing I-A to I-AA transfers to sit out a year?

93henfan
May 16th, 2009, 03:08 PM
What are you Delaware fans thoughts about forcing I-A to I-AA transfers to sit out a year?

As long as the rules are the same for everyone, I don't care.

As it stands, Delaware follows the rules with transfers. I can remember some very good Delaware teams when I was a student at UD that were beaten in the playoffs by Marshall teams with WAY more transfers than Delaware has ever taken. We weren't thrilled about it, but it was legal. If there had been a flourishing internet then, I'm sure we would have cried the blues like some others currently do so here. But at the end of the day, transfers are legal. Deal with it.

GannonFan
May 16th, 2009, 09:59 PM
Yes, but they have to sit out a year before Playing.. I have no problem with taking transfers, I just think the rules should be altered so that It deters players from doing so.. i.e. force them to sit out a year or make them lose a year of eligibility. I just think its ridiculous that every time there as a kid from a major school announcing that he's gonna transfer, a thread pops up in AGS about it.. What are you Delaware fans thoughts about forcing I-A to I-AA transfers to sit out a year?

I'm against it. Why have just one more rule to punish players? Considering the football machine that is FBS and the comings and goings of coaches it seems silly to punish student athletes like you propose. Students who transfer schools for chemistry or math or other academic majors don't need to sit out a year. Why make sports more important than they are by punishing the student athlete simply because they are an athlete? And what of the students who graduate early and still have eligibility left? Should they be punished for their excelling in academics by punishing them if they choose to pursue a degree elsewhere? And why is it that only schools that don't do a good job of bringing in quality transfers are the first ones to propose limiting or punishing transfers with draconian restrictions?? xreadx

DTSpider
May 16th, 2009, 10:16 PM
I haven't looked at all the rosters, but you may have been hard pressed to find a top 10 FCS team last year that didn't have transfers.

Your reigning FCS champs did not have any transfers (unless you count a kid that originally enrolled at UR, then quit playing football and transferred to a BCS school, only to decide he wanted to play football again and came back) :)

However, it really doesn't matter. Some teams have a fair number of transfers, others don't. It's really not any different than taking kids out of high school directly. Sometimes transfers "work-out" and sometimes they don't. Each school can make a choice of whether they want them or not. I'm a firm believer that it needs to be the right kid in the right situation for your team. That could mean you have 10 transfers or zero transfers.

Tubby Raymond
May 16th, 2009, 10:48 PM

Didn't in 2003 or 2007, your team was irrelevant in both. Andy can't win the big one, you must be a new fan

blukeys
May 16th, 2009, 10:49 PM

I am totally in favor of all kids sitting out a year provided coaches who switch schools also sit out a yearxrolleyesx.

Coaches recruit a kid and then leave for another school leaving the student high and dry with the new guy who really didn't want them. This was the Joe Flacco story and it happens all the time. The day COACHES are deterred from leaving schools is the day I will be in favor of players being deterred from leaving schools.

For the record my Father transferred from Georgetown to UD in order to marry my mother. What sort of penalty should he have paid???xeyebrowx

ngineer
May 16th, 2009, 11:10 PM
The curious thing I wonder about is how does one 'recruit' these FBS malcontents? I didn't think that was allowed. If so, how do so many seem to matriculate to UD? As pointed out earlier, maybe UD just publicizes its transfers more than other schools, but it just seems the Hens get a disproportionate number of transfers in comparison to other similarly situated schools, i.e. athletic scholarship schools.

Head Cat
May 17th, 2009, 12:54 AM
Didn't in 2003 or 2007, your team was irrelevant in both. Andy can't win the big one, you must be a new fan
We're not talking about ancient history here. But as I remember we pretty much shut down Flacco and company in 2007.

You don't win as many games as Coach T and not have some big wins to your credit. I don't remember Tubby Raymond winning any national championships when he was coaching the Hens, either. But both Andy and Tubby have had great careers. Jim Tressel has proved Andy's undoing too many times.

All that being said, Villanova has as good a talent as they have had since 1997, when they were undefeated and ranked No. 1 in the regular season. I wish the best for Delaware so we can meet for a CAA title on the final day of the regular season at Villanova Stadium. Hopefully that new OL gets you to that point.

Tribe4SF
May 17th, 2009, 06:08 AM
I'm against it. Why have just one more rule to punish players? Considering the football machine that is FBS and the comings and goings of coaches it seems silly to punish student athletes like you propose. Students who transfer schools for chemistry or math or other academic majors don't need to sit out a year. Why make sports more important than they are by punishing the student athlete simply because they are an athlete? And what of the students who graduate early and still have eligibility left? Should they be punished for their excelling in academics by punishing them if they choose to pursue a degree elsewhere? And why is it that only schools that don't do a good job of bringing in quality transfers are the first ones to propose limiting or punishing transfers with draconian restrictions?? xreadx

From this I assume you'd be in favor of changing the rule so kids could transfer to another FBS school and not have to sit out a year. All of your questions would seem to suppport that.

SideLine Shooter
May 17th, 2009, 07:23 AM
The curious thing I wonder about is how does one 'recruit' these FBS malcontents? I didn't think that was allowed. If so, how do so many seem to matriculate to UD? As pointed out earlier, maybe UD just publicizes its transfers more than other schools, but it just seems the Hens get a disproportionate number of transfers in comparison to other similarly situated schools, i.e. athletic scholarship schools.

UD does seem to get their share and about 16 other schools share of FBS transfers. They may have to go after those transfers now because I'm sure their record of taking transfers has to hurt their high school recruiting efforts.
If I were a high school athlete being recruited by UD, I would certainly consider another school first. You would have to think that the school would always be looking for an FBS transfer to take my position. Maybe, maybe not, but that thought would always be there because of their record of taking so many transfers.

93henfan
May 17th, 2009, 08:19 AM
UD does seem to get their share and about 16 other schools share of FBS transfers.

Hmmm. Is that what two I-A transfers translates to in a year?

It's been said multiple times in this thread and others: The reason kids transfer to Delaware is because of the overall success that it has brought previous players that have done so. They have UD on speed dial, not the other way around. Many (like Flacco) were heavily recruited out of high school by Delaware but couldn't turn down a chance to play in a BCS league that ultimately didn't pan out.

DTSpider
May 17th, 2009, 08:32 AM
I will admit that there's one thing that I hate about FBS transfers....it's that the FCS school all of a sudden becomes "the team". It's BS.

The CAA South is loaded this year. UR returns 16 starters, and I think that Nova & W&M return a similar number. JMU always seems to have talent ready to step in. UD certainly seems to be an improved team from last year...but it's not because of this one transfer. UD has shown that it relies on FBS transfers at the QB position and doesn't recruit them out of high school...it's their strategy and has worked before.

On another note...the CAA always runs through Richmond (it's where the league office is) xsmiley_wix

I do feel bad for the new Towson coach. Every other team in your division will probably start the season ranked.

paward
May 17th, 2009, 10:17 AM
I have no problem with a program that wants to bring in transfers. I do prefer to build the program from the ground up with the players you recruit and have. My thoughts have always been that team chemistry is a growing process. The question I would pose to a team that relies on tranfers especially at the QB spot. What happens to the QB that had a coach visit them during theri senior year of highschool that was told come help us make our program your program? Does he have a fair shot at it, or is the thought of going out getting the next FBS non starter loomoing over their shoulders. It would appear that to be the case at UD. When was the last time UD had a QB to play for more that two seasons that was recruited for UD? Please do not take this post as a stab at your program. I enjoy the UD vs Richmond games. There is a orr of respect when we play.

Ricmond is not high on anyone's transfer list. Cost and admittance are the main reasons. I am not sure if that will always be the point and case at UR. But for now I am perfectly contend with the system we have.

SideLine Shooter
May 17th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Hmmm. Is that what two I-A transfers translates to in a year?

It's been said multiple times in this thread and others: The reason kids transfer to Delaware is because of the overall success that it has brought previous players that have done so. They have UD on speed dial, not the other way around. Many (like Flacco) were heavily recruited out of high school by Delaware but couldn't turn down a chance to play in a BCS league that ultimately didn't pan out.

If you read my post I said it does seem that UD gets their share and more. The reason I said that is because it seems that every couple of weeks someone posts that UD is getting another FBS transfer. Maybe this is not the case, but it seems that way to me.

No disrespect meant, UD has a great program and tradition and some great fans. Alot better than Furman.xnodxxthumbsupx

asu3peat
May 17th, 2009, 10:47 AM
UD has six national titles in their history. Only one of those come from the division formerly known as I-AA (2003). Why do folks get their panties in a wad about the Hens taking FBS transfers?

Jaxhen
May 17th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Here we go again. The comments about UD and transfers are absolutely ridiculous. There have been quite a few threads on here about other schools getting transfers, but these schools seem to never be accused of being "Transfer U" like UD is. As soon as UD gets a transfer, people pounce on it. Why don't you do your homework before making these comments. UD takes no more transfers than a lot of FCS schools out there and actually takes a lot less than a number of FCS schools. This is the third transfer that UD took this year to go along with 20 high school scholarships and 5 preferred high school walk-ons. Let's show some objective balance here folks and stop perpetuating these myths and gross exaggerations. Of course, UD fans are partially to blame for posting these signings.

BigHouseClosedEnd
May 17th, 2009, 11:56 AM

Its been 8 years since you won a conference Co-Championship. If it goes through Philly, seems like Villanova may need to do better reading the road signs.

jmufan999
May 17th, 2009, 12:04 PM
By way of Richmond!

still have to beat the defending CAA champs, first.... :) in all seriousness, though, JMU has only lost THREE (3) conference games since the end of the 2005 season:

Nova by 1
Richmond by 1
Delaware by 3

5 points, that's it. that's a 21-3 conference record over the last 3 years. all i'm saying is, don't forget about JMU.

Jaxhen, you answered your own question about Transfer U... yes, UD DOES take more transfers than the average team. i'll look up the numbers if you want to challenge me on that one because i'm certain it's more than the average. and yes, as you said, UD fans are to blame for this perception, because every year you get a new transfer, he's the best player that ever lived. we listened to lots of garbage last preseason about Schoenhoft (sp?) and he absolutely SUCKED. so yeah, forgive us for being a little gun shy about UD transfers.

BigHouseClosedEnd
May 17th, 2009, 12:11 PM
still have to beat the defending CAA champs, first.... :) in all seriousness, though, JMU has only lost THREE (3) conference games since the end of the 2005 season:

Nova by 1
Richmond by 1
Delaware by 3

5 points, that's it. that's a 21-3 conference record over the last 3 years. all i'm saying is, don't forget about JMU.

No one forgets JMU. You won't let us.

If only you didn't turn the ball over in those three games, you wouldn't have lost any of them too, right? xcoffeex

paward
May 17th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by paward
By way of Richmond!

I should have said by way of Virginia, opps forgive me!

bleedblue
May 17th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Its been 8 years since you won a conference Co-Championship. If it goes through Philly, seems like Villanova may need to do better reading the road signs.

Even the Priest's can't read STOP signs.xlolx

UD fans, stop responding/defending Transfer U comments because you are only making it worse. We get transfers every year, or so it seems, since KC has been the HC. Even our beloved Tubby took in transfers. We are working within the rules and I don't have a problem with the transfers except with the QB situation. There have been some bad breaks with a QB expected LOI not coming through(Shinskie going with baseball draft contract) and injuries(Moyer) but overall KC only gets a "C" grade(IMHO) with recruiting QB's. Bottom line UD has relied on QB transfers since KC. Hopefully that changed this year with Sasek, who physically looks impressive. Although out oh high school I thought Scanlon was going to be a nice spread QB. I will say he was having an incredible spring at saftey. He is making the most of Bratton's injury.

GannonFan
May 17th, 2009, 03:23 PM
From this I assume you'd be in favor of changing the rule so kids could transfer to another FBS school and not have to sit out a year. All of your questions would seem to suppport that.

To a point, I would. But you're assuming too much from my response. FBS football has a tendency to be all about the football (school is barely an afterthought) and all about the major money that goes along with it. I would be curious as to how well the system could be policed at the FBS level so that you don't have a lot of back door deals and other shenanigans should transfers be allowed to move from FBS school to FBS school without a penalty and avoid what would be a free agency-type market. Transferring from FBS to FCS, you don't have that same situation, even if someone transfers to a high profile (for FCS) place like Delaware. You're not talking gobs of money involved with the football program and football isn't the end all be all that it tends to be at the FBS level. More than 90k people showed up for the Spring Game at Ohio St - maybe 3k showed up for UD's Spring Game. Obviously, it's apples and oranges, and I think the transfer rule would be the same way. With that said, I'm all in favor of waiving the waiting period if a head coach leaves abruptly - even at the FBS level, a lot of kids get screwed when a coach chases a bigger contract.

GannonFan
May 17th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Jaxhen, you answered your own question about Transfer U... yes, UD DOES take more transfers than the average team. i'll look up the numbers if you want to challenge me on that one because i'm certain it's more than the average. and yes, as you said, UD fans are to blame for this perception, because every year you get a new transfer, he's the best player that ever lived. we listened to lots of garbage last preseason about Schoenhoft (sp?) and he absolutely SUCKED. so yeah, forgive us for being a little gun shy about UD transfers.

Alright, I challenge you, let's see the proof that UD is "above average" when it comes to taking transfers. Maybe then people will see the amount of non-transfer talent that UD typically has but often gets overshadowed because of the relative success UD's had in terms of getting impact transfers.

And while you're researching, I'd like to see the proof of Hens fans calling Schoenhoft "the best player that ever lived". Certainly there was cautious optimism about him when he transferred, but that died out immediately once he threw his first pass in Spring practice and his limitations became clear so even the cautious optimism lasted only all of 2 months over the winter. Considering that everyone knew he was limited from about March of last year, how much garbage could have been used???

whoanellie
May 17th, 2009, 07:48 PM
you really discribed them as impact transfers as such, is so true.... a transfer that can play can also give a first year player the time to develop as a redshirt.... very important in OL and DL.
UD seems to do a great job and it always comes down to others as why didn't We get THAT guy? Looks like you got a good one.

Hoyadestroya85
May 17th, 2009, 10:21 PM
For the record my Father transferred from Georgetown to UD in order to marry my mother. What sort of penalty should he have paid???xeyebrowx

none.. because he transferred from one evil institution to another that is slightly less evil

YoUDeeMan
May 17th, 2009, 10:28 PM
I don't remember Tubby Raymond winning any national championships when he was coaching the Hens, either.

That statement proves a point...nova fans don't know football. xlolxxnodx

Hoyadestroya85
May 17th, 2009, 10:32 PM
That statement proves a point...nova fans don't know football. xlolxxnodx

Well.. he didn't win any I-AA championships.. he won several D-II/small college division or whatever it was called back when dinosaurs roamed the earth

YoUDeeMan
May 17th, 2009, 10:43 PM
UD has six national titles in their history. Only one of those come from the division formerly known as I-AA (2003). Why do folks get their panties in a wad about the Hens taking FBS transfers?

xwhistlex

Appy has only 3 national football titles in their history...period. And, outside of a compacted three year period, which was an aberration compared to their traditional football history, they have not had any success winning any national football championships on any level.

So, why do folks get their panties in a wad about the Mountaineers recently dominating the SoCon? xeyebrowx

xcoffeex

YoUDeeMan
May 17th, 2009, 11:06 PM
Well.. he didn't win any I-AA championships.. he won several D-II/small college division or whatever it was called back when dinosaurs roamed the earth

Dinosaurs? xrolleyesx You might want to carbon date some of the news clippings from the not so distant past...football rivalries weren't made or destroyed in seven days. :D

Despite nova's attempt to erase the past, if you were to have total recall, little ol' small college, D-II UD and Tubby and Co. beat up on D-I nova pretty regularly not so long ago. xnodx In fact, those beatings forced you guys to drop football, and, apparently, any mention of it, entirely. xlolx

Welcome back, cats. But so far, since man has roamed this planet, no one is "talleying" any national championships of any kind for nova football. xreadx

Hoyadestroya85
May 17th, 2009, 11:27 PM
Dinosaurs? xrolleyesx You might want to carbon date some of the news clippings from the not so distant past...football rivalries weren't made or destroyed in seven days. :D

Despite nova's attempt to erase the past, if you were to have total recall, little ol' small college, D-II UD and Tubby and Co. beat up on D-I nova pretty regularly not so long ago. xnodx In fact, those beatings forced you guys to drop football, and, apparently, any mention of it, entirely. xlolx

Welcome back, cats. But so far, since man has roamed this planet, no one is "talleying" any national championships of any kind for nova football. xreadx

Well that's ancient history to me, considering i wasn't alive yet.. as far as i can remember, Villanova has won the last three? Seems rather interesting.. Without the aid of transfers.

foghorn
May 17th, 2009, 11:51 PM
Projected 'Transfer' starters for 2009 UD football team:
1. DT Brandon Gilbeaux
2. QB Pat Devlin.
That's It!!!!xdeadhorsex

bluehenbillk
May 18th, 2009, 06:58 AM
Projected 'Transfer' starters for 2009 UD football team:
1. DT Brandon Gilbeaux
2. QB Pat Devlin.
That's It!!!!xdeadhorsex

Hopefully Gino will be the 3rd.

henfan
May 18th, 2009, 08:17 AM
Well that's ancient history to me, considering i wasn't alive yet.. as far as i can remember, Villanova has won the last three? Seems rather interesting.. Without the aid of transfers.

Yeah, and UD won the 3 before that. Unless you're no older than 3 years old, you'd probably remember that.

As a fan, does it honestly make you feel better if your alma mater's teams win or lose sporting events based on the number of intercollegiate transfers on the VU roster? Come on, get real.

Alas, college sports has a memory that extends well beyond your and my lifetimes. Things that happen in the past matter and matter a lot. Those, like me, who experienced the UD-VU FB rivalry long before you were a glimmer in your parents' eyes, are testament to the tradition.

BTW, before you belittle the UD's level of FB in the '60s and '70s, you'd do well to learn your history. VU's 'big time' major college/D-I, scholarship program could only manage a 7-7-1 record during Tubby Raymond's reign over his college division/D-II, grant-in-aid teams. I'd bet Howie Long probably remembers his 1-4 record vs. the Blue Hens. xsmiley_wix

The way things have gone in the rivalary is that one team will win a string of games and the other will do the same. VU's winning the last 3 only means that UD is destined to win the next 3.

Cheers.

bleedblue
May 18th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Hopefully Gino will be the 3rd.

Looks like Jerry Butler(Wisconsin) gets the start and Ed Wagner(Mich St) looks to be the starting punter. I think our 2nd string TE Mooney gets a lot of playing time also, although Josh is the man and if the passing game is on point Josh could be the best TE in the CAA.

89Hen
May 18th, 2009, 08:39 AM
From an article last August...

NEWARK -- In case you haven't noticed, the University of Delaware football team has a lot of transfers on its roster. It has led to some perceptions of the program: a quarterback recruited out of high school has no chance to play at UD; the Blue Hens have become a mercenary program; coach K.C. Keeler should change the wording engraved on the Statue of Liberty to: "Give me your quarterbacks, your defensive backs, your unhappy tailbacks yearning to carry the ball, the wretched refuse of your NCAA Division I-A roster."

It's a perception that Keeler said leaves him "befuddled."

Let's start with the facts. The Hens have 19 transfers on the roster. It's the third-most in the Colonial Athletic Association, behind Massachusetts, which has 22, and Hofstra, which has 21. The rest of the CAA schools have five or fewer.

Northern Iowa, which Delaware beat in the I-AA playoffs last season, has 24 transfers.

xpeacex

93henfan
May 18th, 2009, 09:02 AM
That can't be right 89. From reading this forum, I know that Delaware is the only school accepting transfers.

SideLine Shooter
May 18th, 2009, 09:05 AM
From an article last August...

xpeacex

I guess I'm a little confused here (nothing new). So 19 transfers on the roster is not too many, as compared to a few other schools. In comparison, last year App. St. had 4 transfers. I hope you can see why 19 at UD seems to be a high number. 24 at UNI is extremely high number it seems.

93henfan
May 18th, 2009, 09:08 AM
I guess I'm a little confused here (nothing new). So 19 transfers on the roster is not too many, as compared to a few other schools. In comparison, last year App. St. had 4 transfers. I hope you can see why 19 at UD seems to be a high number. 24 at UNI is extremely high number it seems.

Like ZOMG, App St. has transfers?!?!? xeekx xeekx TAKE AWAY THEIR TROPHIES!!!! THEY CHEAT!

SideLine Shooter
May 18th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Like ZOMG, App St. has transfers?!?!? xeekx xeekx TAKE AWAY THEIR TROPHIES!!!! THEY CHEAT!

That's the spirit!xlolxxlolxxlolx

93henfan
May 18th, 2009, 09:16 AM
That's the spirit!xlolxxlolxxlolx

If Armanti Edwards had just gone to Duke for a semester, then you guys would have been taking all the flak.

89Hen
May 18th, 2009, 09:20 AM
If you only read comments of people on this board, you'd think UD had 50 transfers and everyone else had 1 or 2. That was the point. xpeacex

89Hen
May 18th, 2009, 09:28 AM
More...

Another Former Vol May Transfer to UTC (http://www.newschannel9.com/sports/former-978356-utc-vols.html)

Pflugrad to Leave Oregon Football Program (http://www.goducks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=500&ATCLID=3738583)

And it's not limited to DI...

Former University of Tennessee offensive lineman Darris Sawtelle is transferring to Grand Valley. (http://www.hollandsentinel.com/sports/x340399758/GVSU-ROUNDUP-GVSU-lands-football-transfer)

Mathews announced the signing of Justin Johnson, a junior transfer wide receiver from Alabama-Birmingham, a school in NCAA’s Football Bowl Subdivision.
(http://www.pbcommercial.com/articles/2009/05/14/sports/sports2.txt)

Alabama linebacker Prince Hall to transfer to NCAA Division II Central Washington (http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/mobileregister/index.ssf?/base/sports/1242465349261120.xml&coll=3)

89Hen
May 18th, 2009, 09:29 AM

"I was just looking forward to making a good decision. I went down there and got a great feeling. The campus was beautiful. I loved the coaches and all the players were great guys. It seemed like a great place. The football there is big-time. I'm looking forward to sold-out crowds."
xpeacex

Tribe4SF
May 18th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Not sure why UD takes so much heat over the transfer issue. I believe UMass has historically had more, and UNI is always up there.

Having a bunch of transfers is no guarantee of success. If it were, Hofstra and Hampton would be in the title hunt every year.

Each school takes their own approach with transfers, and there are plenty of current examples of success with varying philosophies. For W&M, transfers are not a priority, and the Tribe said no to a couple of QBs this year. ASU and JMU have built consistently top notch programs with very few transfers, and UR has had a low number as they've risen to the top. Those three schools account for the last five national championships.

The QB position gets extra attention with transfers. I think alot of the fuss about transfers started in '03 and '04 when alot of the top teams had transfer QBs. I remember reading predictions that the only way to win a title in the future would be with a transfer QB.

foghorn
May 18th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Looks like Jerry Butler(Wisconsin) gets the start and Ed Wagner(Mich St) looks to be the starting punter. I think our 2nd string TE Mooney gets a lot of playing time also, although Josh is the man and if the passing game is on point Josh could be the best TE in the CAA.

I wrote that Devlin and Gilbeaux were the projected starters. Actually, Devlin is the only sure thing, as I understand Gilbeaux has 'issues' which may prevent him from playing.
Butler is in very good competition with Thaxton, Hayes (surprise walk-on), and even Bradley. I wouldn't say he's a sure thing, at all. As you mentioned, Baker will start, as he may very well be the best TE in the conference. Gradkowski has not as yet taken a snap as a Hen, so we'll have to wait and see. Actually, I'm more concerned about the availability of previous 'walk-on', Sam Burrows. A healthy Sam is probably better than Gino. Coach Keeler has said that Sam has developed into a possibble all conference player.
The point is that the transfers we get are not automatic starters and must 'win' a position as anyone else.

bluehenbillk
May 18th, 2009, 11:03 AM
I wrote that Devlin and Gilbeaux were the projected starters. Actually, Devlin is the only sure thing, as I understand Gilbeaux has 'issues' which may prevent him from playing.
Butler is in very good competition with Thaxton, Hayes (surprise walk-on), and even Bradley. I wouldn't say he's a sure thing, at all. As you mentioned, Baker will start, as he may very well be the best TE in the conference. Gradkowski has not as yet taken a snap as a Hen, so we'll have to wait and see. Actually, I'm more concerned about the availability of previous 'walk-on', Sam Burrows. A healthy Sam is probably better than Gino. Coach Keeler has said that Sam has developed into a possibble all conference player.
The point is that the transfers we get are not automatic starters and must 'win' a position as anyone else.

I wish I could be sold on Burrows. I know a lot of people talk about his potential, but the guy has been so injury-prone for the last 3 or 4 yrs, I mean wasn't the last time he really played his junior year of HS? That being said, I hope he's healthy to play in the fall, he can only make the OL situation better.

Tribe4SF
May 18th, 2009, 11:17 AM

What's the matter with Gilbeaux? I was impressed with his play in our game last year.

SunCoastBlueHen
May 18th, 2009, 11:31 AM
What's the matter with Gilbeaux? I was impressed with his play in our game last year.

I can only guess what "issues" could mean, but even transfers have to pass their classes. xpeacex

93henfan
May 18th, 2009, 11:38 AM
I can only guess what "issues" could mean, but even transfers have to pass their classes. xpeacex

You mean that model scholar-athlete program, Syracuse, didn't groom him well for studying?

LacesOut
May 18th, 2009, 12:08 PM
UD gets some transfers, other schools get some transfers. No big deal to me. It's not like the schools that get the most transfers win the NC every year.

My only concern would be why does a school have to keep getting them. Is there an issue with recruiting? Scholarships? Injuries? No depth? I guess every situation is different.

89Hen
May 18th, 2009, 12:29 PM
It's not like the schools that get the most transfers win the NC every year.
Very simple idea but maybe the one that hits the nail on the head. Why do so many people care if UD takes any transfers?

Richmond shouldn't care, they won it all without any. AppSt shouldn't care, they won three times with only a couple of them. UNI shouldn't care, they've come close and have even more than UD. So from where exactly does the beef come people?

Skjellyfetti
May 18th, 2009, 12:58 PM
Very simple idea but maybe the one that hits the nail on the head. Why do so many people care if UD takes any transfers?

Richmond shouldn't care, they won it all without any. AppSt shouldn't care, they won three times with only a couple of them. UNI shouldn't care, they've come close and have even more than UD. So from where exactly does the beef come people?

Ask Tubby Raymond?

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53254&highlight=tubby+raymond
xwhistlex

89Hen
May 18th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Ask Tubby Raymond?

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53254&highlight=tubby+raymond
xwhistlex

Love Tubby to death, but he should just STFU. Everyone has to keep in mind that he never won a DI title and it has to kill him that Keeler has (and another runner-up).
I'll say it again, Tubby is an old, grumpy man. He is still the Godfather, but you have to take anything he says with a grain of salt. When he left UD he left it with an absolultely bare cabinet. The QB situation was unbelievably bad. Had he not left KC with so little, he wouldn't have had to bring in Andy Hall. So when you think about it, it really could be Tubby's fault that there are so many transfers now. xnodx

GannonFan
May 18th, 2009, 01:38 PM
Ask Tubby Raymond?

xwhistlex

Tubby had more transfers on his 2000 team than KC's had on any team since. Not only is Tubby a grumpy old man, but also a forgetful one. And heck, I remember Tubby on the stage at the Pavilion right before the '07 National Title game touting the one-time transfer Joe Flacco, so I don't think Tubby's against transfers, he's just against transfers who don't win enough games. xthumbsupx

93henfan
May 20th, 2009, 11:14 AM

Foggy, I saw where you clarified on gohens.net that you mistook last year's credit-transfer issue from 'Cuse for a problem this year, but didn't see you clarify here.

For the record, there are no issues with Brandon Gilbeaux playing for the Hens this year. Breathe easier Hens fans.