PDA

View Full Version : Sioux nickname could be gone by October 1st, 2009!!

darell1976
May 14th, 2009, 04:28 PM
N.D. board dumps UND nickname, logo unless tribes support by Oct. 1

UND must end its use of the Fighting Sioux nickname unless it can secure a 30-year agreement with the state's two namesake tribes by Oct. 1, the State Board of Higher Education decided on an 8-0 vote today.

Grant Shaft, a board member who heads a fact-finding committee on the issue, recommended Aug. 1. He said the earlier the university applies to enter the Summit League athletic conference the better because the league has one more slot open and is looking at six other universities.

The league, which Shaft said UND athletic director Brian Faison considers the best conference for UND to be in, has said it will not consider UND until nickname issue is resolved.

Shaft said he is unclear if a few months will make a difference as far as the Summit League's application is concerned. He also said there is no guarantee UND will get picked by the league.

Pam Kostelecky, a board member who made the motion with the Oct. 1 date, said she wanted to give the Standing Rock tribe a chance to weigh in on the issue at either its July 15 election or September 15 election.

Under a settlement with the NCAA, which opposes Indian nicknames, UND needs the support of the state's two Sioux tribes. Spirit Lake has voted 764-371 to support the nickname though its Tribal Council would have to formally issue a resolution of support.

darell1976
May 14th, 2009, 04:31 PM
All because of pressure from the Summitt Conference. Because UND legally has until November 30, 2010 in the eyes of the NCAA. I think its best to retire it, just be called UND no rush on a new nickname. Then start fresh by 2012 when we become playoff eligible. This way we never have to hear from the PC crowd ever again....look out NDSU your Bison name may be next.

bkrownd
May 15th, 2009, 04:48 PM
The best solution would be to simply have no nickname. Animal nicknames are stupid copycat marketing nonsense, and an embarrassing animal nickname is all you're going to end up with if the administration has its way.

Hansel
May 15th, 2009, 05:49 PM
coming soon.... the UND Flamers

http://www.und.edu/images/2linelog.png

bkrownd
May 15th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Furthermore, if the university elects to NOT have a nickname, it allows the fans to more easily keep using whatever nickname they damn well please. The NCAA can't control what people say or wear in the stands.

coover
May 15th, 2009, 06:57 PM
I like the DAKOTANS.

What a great insult when you play South Dakota ... "We are the Dakotans. You are not. Go North!"

darell1976
May 15th, 2009, 07:02 PM
I see UND becoming either the Flickertails (their former name back in the 1930's) or the Roughriders even though its the local high school's nickname. But whatever the name you know the crowd will cheer lets go Sioux, and there is nothing anyone can do about it.

bkrownd
May 15th, 2009, 07:30 PM
How about The Red Flood with a cartoon of Grand Forks burning and being swamped by red waves

xeekx

Gil Dobie
May 15th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Wheatkings?

But then UND isn't the Ag School xwhistlex

ValleyChamp
May 15th, 2009, 08:05 PM
I am sick of hearing about this. How about just change the GD name now and get it over with.

TheBisonator
May 15th, 2009, 10:20 PM
Just change it to Roughriders. That's definitely the best option for a new name out there.

TheBisonator
May 15th, 2009, 10:22 PM
All because of pressure from the Summitt Conference. Because UND legally has until November 30, 2010 in the eyes of the NCAA. I think its best to retire it, just be called UND no rush on a new nickname. Then start fresh by 2012 when we become playoff eligible. This way we never have to hear from the PC crowd ever again....look out NDSU your Bison name may be next.

If our name is ever legally threatened, I'm just getting the hell out of this country. And I'm a liberal.

NDSUDude
May 15th, 2009, 11:09 PM
I think they are jumping the gun with this. At least wait till you hear what the other tribe says. One already supports it, I'm sure the other will too. Seriously just wiat until the votes come in they'll support it. Just wait

griz&beer
May 16th, 2009, 01:00 AM
What about Roughnecks?

Thundar
May 16th, 2009, 06:57 AM
What about Roughnecks?

nobody in Eastern ND knows anything about the Oilfield, I stated this one time with a group of people and out of the 20 in the room nobody could tell me what a roughneck was!!

Libertine
May 16th, 2009, 08:21 AM
coming soon.... the UND Flamers

http://www.und.edu/images/2linelog.png

Come on, Flames isn't such a bad nickname. xsmiley_wix

darell1976
May 16th, 2009, 08:33 AM
I think they are jumping the gun with this. At least wait till you hear what the other tribe says. One already supports it, I'm sure the other will too. Seriously just wiat until the votes come in they'll support it. Just wait

The votes don't matter its what the tribal council allows. Right now the Spirit Lake tribe was thinking of allowing the votes, but the Standing Rock tribal council won't let their people vote on the nickname issue. So just because 70% of the tribe supports the Sioux name its only the few tribal council members that have the say. Can you NOT say democracy on the reservations.

JohnStOnge
May 16th, 2009, 08:29 PM
Call the team the "Cro-Magnons." Hopefully there are none of them around to complain.

http://bhowc.files.wordpress.com/2006/03/evi_cromagnon_large.jpg

dakotadan
May 16th, 2009, 08:56 PM
I am sick of hearing about this. How about just change the GD name now and get it over with.

We're getting sick of hearing about this too.

JSUBison
May 16th, 2009, 09:02 PM
The team with no nickname shall have as mascot, The Man With No Name:

http://www.cinematografo.it/allegati/2245/clint_eastwood_230.jpg

University of North Dakota Eastwoods

ValleyChamp
May 16th, 2009, 10:09 PM
How about the Buffaloes. That should crank up the rivalry a bit more.

NoCoDanny
May 17th, 2009, 02:29 AM
They should drag it out a couple more years they seem to love the drama and attention.

bisonranch
May 17th, 2009, 02:29 PM
All because of pressure from the Summitt Conference.

Not pressure from the Summit conference itself, but because the door is open a bit, it's your only option, and it isn't going to happen until this is resolved.

JetsLuvver
May 17th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Why not Fighting Irish? They already stole the "ND" logo. Why not go all the way?

dakotadan
May 17th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Why not Fighting Irish? They already stole the "ND" logo. Why not go all the way?

Actually they stole it from us. North Dakota was using the interlocking ND before Notre Dame was.

But I hate that logo and want them to switch to a logo unique to the University of North Dakota. Hopefully they switch that logo along with the Sioux logo.

darell1976
May 17th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Not pressure from the Summit conference itself, but because the door is open a bit, it's your only option, and it isn't going to happen until this is resolved.

Its tough to say this being a die hard Sioux fan, but if it means getting into the Summit and establish themselves as a conference member and not being labeled as an independant then so be it drop the name.

Thundar
May 17th, 2009, 07:21 PM
They should drag it out a couple more years they seem to love the drama and attention.

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

kirkblitz
May 17th, 2009, 07:32 PM
how bout the redskins?

89Hen
May 18th, 2009, 08:43 AM
How about the **** You?

I-AA Fan
May 18th, 2009, 08:47 AM
What about Roughnecks?

Politically incorrect ...Teddy was a republican. xlolx

Gil Dobie
May 18th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Politically incorrect ...Teddy was a republican. xlolx

Not by today's standards :(

UND92,96
May 18th, 2009, 09:48 AM

I guess we can't all be as lucky as UNC in terms of avoiding drama and attention for the wrong reasons. xrolleyesx

andy7171
May 18th, 2009, 11:31 AM
UND should become the Tigers. It's a greatly under used mascot. :D

ndsubison
May 18th, 2009, 01:28 PM

xblahblahxxblahblahx

Ding Dong the witch is dead. No guarantees for the siouxage in the Summit, let alone to MVFC football. Enjoy Independent Purgatory. You moved too late, you lost. Go Bison.

ndsubison
May 18th, 2009, 01:33 PM
nobody in Eastern ND knows anything about the Oilfield, I stated this one time with a group of people and out of the 20 in the room nobody could tell me what a roughneck was!!

I am a "roughneck", and damn proud of it. Been working the oil fields for a couple of years now. Not what I got my degree in but it sure as hell pays the bills. If you know anything about it you may as well call me "Derrick". xcoffeex Oh, and I live in Fargo. Helluva commute but you do what you got to do, no?

darell1976
May 18th, 2009, 06:25 PM
xblahblahxxblahblahx

Ding Dong the witch is dead. No guarantees for the siouxage in the Summit, let alone to MVFC football. Enjoy Independent Purgatory. You moved too late, you lost. Go Bison.
Obviously there is no guarantee but once the name is gone UND will be in the league. We lost cause we moved too late? And you won because why??? What have you done in the MVFC? In the Summit you won the title good for you. We are still 3 years from playoffs so i wouldn't say we lost.xconfusedx

Hammerhead
May 18th, 2009, 08:58 PM
I would like the rough riders given T.R.'s connections to North Dakota, but that name is already in use by one of the high schools in Grand Forks.

WileECoyote06
May 19th, 2009, 06:52 AM
hmm. . I don't think Roughneck would be a good idea. In most of the country, you're calling your teams a bunch of thugs.

Roughriders though. . .sounds good. xthumbsupx

Gil Dobie
May 19th, 2009, 07:52 AM
I would like the rough riders given T.R.'s connections to North Dakota, but that name is already in use by one of the high schools in Grand Forks.

The CFL had the Saskatchewan Roughriders and the Ottawa Rough Riders until the Ottawa team folded. Maybe UND could have a dog for a mascot and call themselves the Ruffriders :o