PDA

View Full Version : Who is your All-American QB?

AppGuy04
December 1st, 2005, 08:06 AM
Who is your 1st team All-American QB for I-AA?

bandl
December 1st, 2005, 08:07 AM
Santos

Umass74
December 1st, 2005, 08:11 AM
I am aware that there are a number of very good QBs out there, but this year it's got to be Santos.

Gotta figure in not just numbers, but also the QB's impact on his club and I-AA.

No question Santos is the best this year.

AppGuy04
December 1st, 2005, 08:16 AM
I think even I would have to say Santos, and then a battle between Nealy, Meyer and Williams for 2nd team

bandl
December 1st, 2005, 08:25 AM
I think even I would have to say Santos, and then a battle between Nealy, Meyer and Williams for 2nd team

Is there a way to do a rankings poll for the QB's? I'd be interested to see everyone's rankings from 1-3 or whatever, not just who everyone thinks is the #1.

I did my first poll yesterday, and I just about murdered it, so I won't even try. I kill off too many brain cells during my downtime.

AppGuy04
December 1st, 2005, 08:26 AM
Is there a way to do a rankings poll for the QB's? I'd be interested to see everyone's rankings from 1-3 or whatever, not just who everyone thinks is the #1.

I did my first poll yesterday, and I just about murdered it, so I won't even try. I kill off too many brain cells during my downtime.

no way to do 1,2,3, but we can see who gets the most, 2nd most, and 3rd most, that should give us an idea

bandl
December 1st, 2005, 08:30 AM
no way to do 1,2,3, but we can see who gets the most, 2nd most, and 3rd most, that should give us an idea

Ah well. I can imagine there may be quite a few that will vote for Eugene, even though IMO he doesn't deserve a nod this year (as we already determined on another thread, he deserved a nod last year but not this one)...so the poll may be skewed.
Bygones.

Ivytalk
December 1st, 2005, 08:43 AM
One more vote for Santos!

JMU2K_DukeDawg
December 1st, 2005, 09:47 AM
Vote for Pedro! :hyped:

AppGuy04
December 1st, 2005, 09:50 AM
Vote for Pedro! :hyped:

Pedro lacks political experience!

nlwwln
December 1st, 2005, 09:59 AM
im surprised stacey tutt was not listed but my vote goes to santos

AppGuy04
December 1st, 2005, 10:02 AM
im surprised stacey tutt was not listed but my vote goes to santos

i took the 8 QB's on the Payton watch list

DinoDex200
December 1st, 2005, 11:02 AM
I voted for Richie...really just hoping to get him 2nd team honors. :beerchug:

Tom W
December 1st, 2005, 01:30 PM
Meyer will be the first team all american! I know one of the problems all of us 1-AA fans have is that we do not get to watch many other teams play during the course of the year, but here are a few facts. Meyer just broke the NCAA 1-AA career record for QB rating for QBs with over 400 completions: 166.47 Quarterback rating, 10,256 passing yards, 84 TDs, and only 17 interceptions! He has a few less TDs and a slightly lower QB rating than Santos but has more yards and less INTs. The NFL scouts think he has a great future and will be a first day draft choice! Last year EWU had the highest drafted 1-AA player at #41 overall in Micheal Roos the Left tackle who starts for the Titans, so the scouts know all about Meyer!

AppGuy04
December 1st, 2005, 01:32 PM
Meyer will be the first team all american! I know one of the problems all of us 1-AA fans have is that we do not get to watch many other teams play during the course of the year, but here are a few facts. Meyer just broke the NCAA 1-AA career record for QB rating for QBs with over 400 completions: 166.47 Quarterback rating, 10,256 passing yards, 84 TDs, and only 17 interceptions! He has a few less TDs and a slightly lower QB rating than Santos but has more yards and less INTs. The NFL scouts think he has a great future and will be a first day draft choice! Last year EWU had the highest drafted 1-AA player at #41 overall in Micheal Roos the Left tackle who starts for the Titans, so the scouts know all about Meyer!

they know about Barrick Nealy too, but he finished 5th in the voting i think, so whats your point?

LacesOut
December 1st, 2005, 01:34 PM
I abstain. Too many good ones. And what stinks is that I've only seen one play. And that was last week versus Colgate!

Tom W
December 1st, 2005, 02:03 PM
they know about Barrick Nealy too, but he finished 5th in the voting i think, so whats your point?
My point is that Meyers stats this year good enough to win this years award, combined with his career stats and the fact that very few people from across the country have the opportunity to watch him play. There are many great 1-AA players but very few are good enough to play at the next level. I think that is difference, that is why I believe he is the best.

bandl
December 1st, 2005, 02:17 PM
My point is that Meyers stats this year good enough to win this years award, combined with his career stats and the fact that very few people from across the country have the opportunity to watch him play. There are many great 1-AA players but very few are good enough to play at the next level. I think that is difference, that is why I believe he is the best.

It's all fine and dandy to give a shout out to your favorite QB...but the question has to be asked...have you seen every other QB play (and more than once, IMO, in order to make a fair assumption). I'd have to say that for the majority of the people, that answer is definitely no. So you kind of have to go with the stats you read and the hype you hear. Wrong or right, unless you've actually seen each and everyone one of them play, that's just the way it works.

I've only seen Santos and Tutt (not on this list) play in person before, and Nealy only once last weekend on TV...yet I know (or have read and/or been convinced) that Meyers and Williams are good QB's also. So that's what I have to go by if I had to vote.

It's all in my opinion, of course... xcoffeex

AppGuy04
December 1st, 2005, 02:20 PM
man, I'm gonna have to start putting dislaimers when I make these

NO HOMER VOTES!!

blur2005
December 1st, 2005, 02:22 PM
All-American teams are for single seasons, not careers. I give it to Santos because he really has one great receiver, David Ball, while the rest are alright. Santos is a beast.

Plus, compare their stats after knowing what I've just said:

Santos - 171.8 QB Rating, 70.8% comp. %, 3452 yards passing, 36 TDs, 9 INTs

Meyer - 168.9 QB Rating, 65.5% comp. %, 4003 yards passing, 30 TDs, 5 INTs

Santos higher rating, as well as completion % give him the edge in my opinion and makes up for the fact that he has 4 more INTs. He also had 6 more TD passes.

Tom W
December 1st, 2005, 02:25 PM
It's all fine and dandy to give a shout out to your favorite QB...but the question has to be asked...have you seen every other QB play (and more than once, IMO, in order to make a fair assumption). I'd have to say that for the majority of the people, that answer is definitely no. So you kind of have to go with the stats you read and the hype you hear. Wrong or right, unless you've actually seen each and everyone one of them play, that's just the way it works.

I've only seen Santos and Tutt (not on this list) play in person before, and Nealy only once last weekend on TV...yet I know (or have read and/or been convinced) that Meyers and Williams are good QB's also. So that's what I have to go by if I had to vote.

It's all in my opinion, of course... xcoffeex
I think your opion is correct! I wish we could see more 1-AA football.

Tom W
December 1st, 2005, 02:32 PM
man, I'm gonna have to start putting dislaimers when I make these

NO HOMER VOTES!!
What do you think this is? Nobody see's the other guys enough to make a truely educated decsion on the subject

bandl
December 1st, 2005, 02:36 PM
What do you think this is? Nobody see's the other guys enough to make a truely educated decsion on the subject

This actually only effects 8 schools...the remaining 100+ schools can vote as they want!

Read the stats....hear the hype...then vote!

AppGuy04
December 1st, 2005, 03:03 PM

I voted for Santos, read above

NOT Richie Williams :rolleyes:

Tom W
December 1st, 2005, 03:25 PM
I voted for Santos, read above

NOT Richie Williams :rolleyes:
And you watched him enough to make that determination?

bandl
December 1st, 2005, 03:28 PM
I think his point was that since he said 'NO HOMERISMS' he couldn't vote for his school's QB. And thus...Santos.

You're going to find it very difficult to dispute Santos with a good amount of peeps on this board, especially if he keeps taking his team farther and farther into the playoffs. Unfortunately for Meyers, he's out and can't get much more exposure.

AppGuy04
December 1st, 2005, 03:31 PM

I've seen him twice, only one less than time than Richie, since we only had 4 home games this year

What impresses me about Santos is his toughness and drive
In the Colgate game, they were ripping them and yet he is bowling over LB's for a 1st down

Granted I think Richie is a great QB, but ASU is much more of a running offense this year, as opposed to last with Davon, for that reason, b/c alot of voters pay attention to stats alot more than they should, Richie did not win it

Kill'em
December 1st, 2005, 03:36 PM
Even though we just got spanked by Nealy I have to go with Richie Williams for 1st team and Nealy second.

Tom W
December 1st, 2005, 03:53 PM
I've seen him twice, only one less than time than Richie, since we only had 4 home games this year

In the Colgate game, they were ripping them and yet he is bowling over LB's for a 1st down

Granted I think Richie is a great QB, but ASU is much more of a running offense this year, as opposed to last with Davon, for that reason, b/c alot of voters pay attention to stats alot more than they should, Richie did not win it
You know we all can say some of the same possitives about all of these guys! Santos had 3 picks against UC Davis, and NH just won it late 17-13 and Meyer had 225 yards and two TD in 1 3/4 quarters against UCD and rested the rest of the way because they found out that they made the playoffs. I am looking forward to watching Richie play, his ablility to run and pass and make plays is exciting. Also winning the way your guys did with only 4 home games is a great testiment to his leadership.

ASU Kep
December 1st, 2005, 06:14 PM

Gotta respect a man that looks like he's taking the biggest dump in recorded human history every time he throws the damn ball, but my vote still went to Richie.

To be honest, my vote is not entirely un-biased though (obviously). After seeing Richie set all those records last year (including two NCAA all-division ones) I think he deserves it this year even though his stats aren't as flashy due to the sudden emergence of an ASU running game (a damn good one, too) becaue he's made such great decision and pretty much always come through in clutch situations (Furman...yes, I know we lost...but our offense played fantastic near the end).

Nealy would be my second choice, followed by Santos.

In summation, it was a homer vote. :hurray:

JohnStOnge
December 1st, 2005, 06:21 PM
I predict that, among those listed, the one that's going to go highest in the draft when he comes out (which for him is this year) is Nealy. I know I'm a Southland guy but I've never seen a I-AA quarterback...even McNair...with that guy's overpowering physical ability. I'm sure all of the coaches of all those other guys would say they wouldn't trade them for anybody. But I think that if they could go back and take Nealy so they could have a chance to groom them in their systems they'd take him over their own guys in a heartbeat. He's just that much superior in terms of physical talent to anyone else on the list.

I'll allow that I haven't seen Joel Sambursky. But I've seen the others and none of them can touch Nealy in terms of raw talent. I'd be shocked if Sambursky could too.

ASU Kep
December 1st, 2005, 06:24 PM
Nealy is a great QB and I agree that he will go the highest of the I-AA QB's but it's not like he's head and shoulders above all the other competition. Nealy's basically Richie Williams plus the NFL-size.

JohnStOnge
December 1st, 2005, 06:27 PM
I am aware that there are a number of very good QBs out there, but this year it's got to be Santos.

Gotta figure in not just numbers, but also the QB's impact on his club and I-AA.

No question Santos is the best this year.

Santos does have the stats. But when you say "impact on his club...." did you see that Georgia Southern/Texas State game? Do you think Texas State could've won that game without Nealy? Do you think UNH could've beaten Colgate with even an adequate QB?

I think the answers are "No" and "Yes."

UNH could go farther without Santos than Texas State could without Nealy. I know Bobcat fans might not want to hear that but I think it's the truth.

JohnStOnge
December 1st, 2005, 06:30 PM
Nealy is a great QB and I agree that he will go the highest of the I-AA QB's but it's not like he's head and shoulders above all the other competition. Nealy's basically Richie Williams plus the NFL-size.

I think Williams is very good. I watched him on TV against LSU. But Nealy is an unusual raw talent. He really is. I really think he's on a "game changing" order at his position similar to Randy Moss was at wide reciever for Marshall.

I'd have no problem with someone else being selected "All American." But I've seen those other players (except the SIU guy) and if I could have any of the quarterbacks that I've seen listed playing at McNeese it'd be Nealy.

ISUMatt
December 1st, 2005, 08:28 PM
I would vote for Santos, but Luke Drone needs to be on this list before Sambursky

blur2005
December 1st, 2005, 10:39 PM
While I respect Travis Lulay as a gritty competitor, I can't believe he has 20 votes right now.

Tod
December 1st, 2005, 11:25 PM
While I respect Travis Lulay as a gritty competitor, I can't believe he has 20 votes right now.

I can't believe Santos has nearly double the votes of Meyer.

blur2005
December 2nd, 2005, 02:02 AM
I can't believe Santos has nearly double the votes of Meyer.
Though I think Santos is the deserving Payton winner, you could attribute this to the ratio of A-10 voters to Big Sky voters on AGS.

Kill'em
December 2nd, 2005, 07:19 AM
Do you think Texas State could've won that game without Nealy?
Absolutely NOT!

mikebigg
December 2nd, 2005, 11:29 AM
I voted for Bruce Eugene...

He's Grambling so I'm biased...but also because of all the others, I've only seen Nealy play (on television). Also, I just can't believe that anyone else is the passer that Bruce is. Despite whatever your feelings about Bruce and the league he plays in, his ability to pass and read defenses can't be disputed.

The McNeese fans who saw him (two years ago) and who saw Nealy can tell me which they think is the better passer? I really would like to know...

bandl
December 2nd, 2005, 11:38 AM
Do you think UNH could've beaten Colgate with even an adequate QB?

Look at it another way though...

Do you think UNH would even BE IN THE PLAYOFFS without Santos?? Absolutely not, IMO. The same probably goes for Furman (duh...how many last-second victories did Martin pull out of his sphincter?). I dunno how TSU and some of the other schools with good QB's would do with someone of less-than-equal talent.

blur2005
December 2nd, 2005, 11:38 AM

He's Grambling so I'm biased...but also because of all the others, I've only seen Nealy play (on television). Also, I just can't believe that anyone else is the passer that Bruce is. Despite whatever your feelings about Bruce and the league he plays in, his ability to pass and read defenses can't be disputed.

The McNeese fans who saw him (two years ago) and who saw Nealy can tell me which they think is the better passer? I really would like to know...
He's completed 57% of his passes this year, so I don't know about "reading." And I know his percentage can't be that low because of dropped balls.

blueballs
December 2nd, 2005, 11:42 AM
As a GSU fan who in the past year has seen Williams, Nealy, Martin and Santos against my team if somebody told me I had to pick one of them to take into battle it would be Nealy hands down.

BUT, all american selections are largely stat based so I'd have to go with Santos. Big time stats and the w/l record to back it up...

JohnStOnge
December 2nd, 2005, 11:53 AM

My experience in seeing Nealy is three televised games this season vs. Texas A&M, Stephen F. Austin, and Georgia Southern. Based just on those three games I'd say Nealy. It happens that in those three games he was a combined 65 of 80 (73 percent) passing for 1002 yards, 9 TDs, and 2 INTs. He also had 32 rushes in those games for 313 yards (9.8 per carry) and 3 TDs. During his "worst" game that I've seen (SFA) he was 16 of 24 (67 percent) for "only" 224 yards, 2 TDs and 0 interceptions but he also rushed 15 times for 151 yards...including an 81 yard TD. So you can understand why he's made such an impression on me.

But I can see from the box scores of some of his games that I didn't see that he can be inconsistent from game to game. For example: Against Nicholls State he was 17 of 41 (41 percent) for 227 yards and against Sam Houston he was 12 of 30 (40 percent) for only 118.

But I'd pick him for my team for what he can do. I'd figure that even if he has an off day passing he can still kill the opponent with his feet and hit some big plays even if he doesn't get the high percentage.

The two games Eugene played against McNeese involved one bad one in 2002 and one good one in 2003. I'd say the good one (2003) was comparable to what I've seen Nealy do passing the ball on TV this year but the bad one was really bad (I think he had like 6 completions).

Other than that I'd say the two look very similar in terms of their physical potential throwing the ball. Both with very strong arms but also capable of very good accuracy and able to put touch on the ball when needed.

The biggest difference is that Nealy can pop off a 70 or 80 yard run at any time. Eugene's quick and hard to sack because of his strength but he's not a home run threat with his feet like Nealy is.

bandl
December 2nd, 2005, 11:58 AM
My experience in seeing Nealy is three televised games this season vs. Texas A&M, Stephen F. Austin, and Georgia Southern. Based just on those three games I'd say Nealy. It happens that in those three games he was a combined 65 of 80 (73 percent) passing for 1002 yards, 9 TDs, and 2 INTs. He also had 32 rushes in those games for 313 yards (9.8 per carry) and 3 TDs. During his "worst" game that I've seen (SFA) he was 16 of 24 (67 percent) for "only" 224 yards, 2 TDs and 0 interceptions but he also rushed 15 times for 151 yards...including an 81 yard TD. So you can understand why he's made such an impression on me.

But I can see from the box scores of some of his games that I didn't see that he can be inconsistent from game to game. For example: Against Nicholls State he was 17 of 41 (41 percent) for 227 yards and against Sam Houston he was 12 of 30 (40 percent) for only 118.

But I'd pick him for my team for what he can do. I'd figure that even if he has an off day passing he can still kill the opponent with his feet and hit some big plays even if he doesn't get the high percentage.

You've seen Nealy 3 times...have you seen Santos 3 times? Meyers 3 times? Williams 3 times?

I'm not trying to be a putz, but IMO it's hard to make a sound decision if you haven't actually seen everything with your own eyes. As I said earlier...I would imagine that most posters haven't seen all the QB's play....so you gotta go with what you read and listen to the hype.

JohnStOnge
December 2nd, 2005, 12:03 PM
As a GSU fan who in the past year has seen Williams, Nealy, Martin and Santos against my team if somebody told me I had to pick one of them to take into battle it would be Nealy hands down.

BUT, all american selections are largely stat based so I'd have to go with Santos. Big time stats and the w/l record to back it up...

I agree with that. Santos has been very good very consistently all year. I'd have no argument with him being picked as the All American quarterback.

jwfgeol
December 2nd, 2005, 03:46 PM
Found some Richie Williams lovin on an LSU message board.

"they had one of the best qb's i've seen us play all year."

"No joke. That QB made great throws into coverage all night, but the receivers couldn't make the catches. He also made Chase Pittman look silly on his contain responsibilities (not a tough task)."

"That QB was a shifty little bastard, every bit as good as D.J. Shockley"

Link (http://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/messagetopic.asp?p=1373376)

Kill'em
December 2nd, 2005, 05:09 PM
"That QB was a shifty little bastard, every bit as good as D.J. Shockley"

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

GeauxLions94
December 2nd, 2005, 11:44 PM
Another vote for ...

S

A

N

T

O

S :rotateh:

skinny_uncle
December 2nd, 2005, 11:58 PM
Passing efficiency ratings this year (for what it's worth):

1 Bruce Eugene, Grambling QB SR 10 372 208 55.91 4 1.08 3645 9.80 46 12.37 176.9
2 Eric Sanders, Northern Iowa QB SO 10 225 157 69.78 4 1.78 2146 9.54 18 8.00 172.7
3 Ricky Santos, New Hampshire QB SO 12 387 274 70.80 9 2.33 3452 8.92 36 9.30 171.8
4 Josh Johnson, San Diego QB SO 12 371 260 70.08 8 2.16 3256 8.78 36 9.70 171.5
5 Erik Meyer, Eastern Wash. QB SR 12 411 269 65.45 5 1.22 4003 9.74 30 7.30 168.9
6 Tarvaris Jackson, Alabama St. QB SR 11 320 195 60.94 5 1.56 2940 9.19 29 9.06 164.9
7 Kevin Hoyng, Dayton QB JR 10 193 114 59.07 5 2.59 1989 10.31 14 7.25 164.4
8 Justin Rascati, James Madison QB JR 11 214 149 69.63 5 2.34 1822 8.51 17 7.94 162.7
9 Connor Jostes, Drake QB SR 10 186 111 59.68 5 2.69 1580 8.49 19 10.22 159.4
10 Steve LaFalce, Western Ill. QB JR 11 298 201 67.45 8 2.68 2586 8.68 19 6.38 156.0
11 Joel Sambursky, Southern Ill. QB SR 12 292 191 65.41 7 2.40 2475 8.48 20 6.85 154.4
12 Luke Drone, Illinois St. QB SO 11 332 214 64.46 12 3.61 2930 8.83 22 6.63 153.2

Four of these guys (Sanders, Santos, Meyer and Sambursky) are QBs of playoff teams. I would be proud to have any of them leading my team.
:hurray: