PDA

View Full Version : North Alabama moving up to FCS?

Lumberjacks76
May 11th, 2009, 09:16 PM
http://michigan-football.com/ncaa/f/nalabama.htm

Thoughts?

Paul

JDC325
May 11th, 2009, 09:36 PM
I will never hate on a school moving up and trying to prove itself on a higher level. Really they are already better than a lot of DIV I FCS programs. This division has the most pretenders of any division.

BEAR
May 11th, 2009, 09:43 PM
North Alabama news? Division II news? On a division I board? xeyebrowx

A similar thread was made a few years ago when UCA was reported to be moving up to division I and it was quickly deleted. Mods said UCA wasn't division I yet so any news was irrelevant. I wonder if the mods will do the same to this post? xnodx xlolx

EKU05
May 11th, 2009, 10:26 PM
There have been North Alabama in the OVC rumors forever. But who knows?

chrisattsu
May 11th, 2009, 10:50 PM
I am leaning towards NO considering there is not a peep about this on the D2 messageboard.

D2messageboard.com -- If someone even sneezes in the FCS direction, they are treated like FCS teams looking to move to FBS. Believe me, everyone would know about it

WileECoyote06
May 12th, 2009, 07:14 AM
This has been rumored for a few years now. But unfortunately no-one can move until 2011, so most schools don't see the point in keeping their plans in the news. In 2011 there are going to be several schools clamoring to move up.

Franks Tanks
May 12th, 2009, 07:56 AM
I am leaning towards NO considering there is not a peep about this on the D2 messageboard.

D2messageboard.com -- If someone even sneezes in the FCS direction, they are treated like FCS teams looking to move to FBS. Believe me, everyone would know about it

I believe there was a thread on this a few months ago on the D-II board.

They would certainly compete well in FCS football, but I have no idea how competitive their other sports are. Many people felt that hiring Terry Bowden as Head Coach was a signal they were looking to FCS, and wanted to make a splash with the coach.

However since every school, both public and private, are facing cuts in funding a move may be very difficult to fund at this time.

gophoenix
May 12th, 2009, 08:43 AM
This has been rumored for a few years now. But unfortunately no-one can move until 2011, so most schools don't see the point in keeping their plans in the news. In 2011 there are going to be several schools clamoring to move up.

There are what, 12 D-II schools that have waivers from this. North Alabama could be one of them. I know UNCP and New Haven are. There was quite a stir a year or so ago about UNCP, West Georgia and North Alabama moving up together and being a package deal for some conference.

I will never hate on a school moving up and trying to prove itself on a higher level. Really they are already better than a lot of DIV I FCS programs. This division has the most pretenders of any division.

What the heck does that mean? Moving from D-II to D-I is hard. It is hard to maintain recruits with the different standards.

Elon, Gardner-Webb, North Dakota State, South Dakota State all did well at first and then struggled after all the D-II players were gone.... It took the former two a few years to get it back together. Being good in D-II doesn't mean anything once you move up....

Who are the pretenders? I see more pretenders in FBS than I do in FCS.

WileECoyote06
May 12th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Here is the list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_schools_reclassifying_their_athletic_progr ams_to_NCAA_Division_I

UNA missed the boat.

Atlantic Sun Conference

* Florida Gulf Coast University, reclassified to Division I for 2011
* University of South Carolina Upstate, reclassified to Division I for 2011

Big South Conference

* Presbyterian College, reclassified to Division I for 2011

Great West Conference

* Houston Baptist University, reclassified to Division I for 2013
* University of North Dakota, reclassified to Division I for 2012
* University of South Dakota[2], reclassified to Division I for 2012

Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference

* Winston-Salem State University, reclassified to Division I for 2010

Northeast Conference

* Bryant University, reclassified to Division I for 2012

Ohio Valley Conference

* Southern Illinois University Edwardsville, reclassified to Division I for 2012

Southland Conference

* University of Central Arkansas, reclassified to Division I for 2010

Independent

* California State University, Bakersfield[3], reclassified to Division I for 2010
* North Carolina Central University, reclassified to Division I for 2011
* Seattle University[4], reclassified to Division I for 2012

WileECoyote06
May 12th, 2009, 10:32 AM
UNC-P is not reclassifying anytime soon. They will eventually join the CIAA for football and stay in D2 for at least seven to ten years.

JBB
May 12th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Id like to see them make the move. NDSU has a history with them. Nice website too.

Killtoppers90
May 12th, 2009, 10:43 AM
I think UNA to the OVC would be a great fit! The OVC needs some new blood in it anyway.

I-AA Fan
May 12th, 2009, 11:22 AM
I remember sitting in Stambaugh Stadium on October 8, 1994 ...watching North Alabama driving for a winning score (and they were moving the ball successfully) against YSU with very little time on the clock. YSU had a game-saving INT and coach Tressel could still not run the clock out against N. Alabama. Luckily time ran out with the final score 17-14 Youngstown on top. At the end of the year, YSU was undefeated and I-AA national champs ...North Alabama had just 1-loss and DII national champs. One heck of a game & clearly the best team (at least defense) we faced all year. That included huge games against Stephen F. Austin, Eastern Kentucky, McNeese State, Kent State (IA), Akron (IA), UMass, Alcorn (with McNair), Montana, and Boise State.

I could have no more respect for a team than the Lions. Those guys game in with a game plan to win ...and they executed. They were enormous up front on both sides of the ball.

gophoenix
May 12th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Here is the list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_schools_reclassifying_their_athletic_progr ams_to_NCAA_Division_I

UNA missed the boat.

Atlantic Sun Conference

* Florida Gulf Coast University, reclassified to Division I for 2011
* University of South Carolina Upstate, reclassified to Division I for 2011

Big South Conference

* Presbyterian College, reclassified to Division I for 2011

Great West Conference

* Houston Baptist University, reclassified to Division I for 2013
* University of North Dakota, reclassified to Division I for 2012
* University of South Dakota[2], reclassified to Division I for 2012

Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference

* Winston-Salem State University, reclassified to Division I for 2010

Northeast Conference

* Bryant University, reclassified to Division I for 2012

Ohio Valley Conference

* Southern Illinois University Edwardsville, reclassified to Division I for 2012

Southland Conference

* University of Central Arkansas, reclassified to Division I for 2010

Independent

* California State University, Bakersfield[3], reclassified to Division I for 2010
* North Carolina Central University, reclassified to Division I for 2011
* Seattle University[4], reclassified to Division I for 2012

No,
Those are the ones already set to reclassify before the announcement. There were others that were granted a waiver by the NCAA before the period is over. The list was never produced other than 2 or 3 schools that let their name slip... UNCP and New Haven are the only ones I remember.

FargoBison
May 12th, 2009, 12:02 PM
What the heck does that mean? Moving from D-II to D-I is hard. It is hard to maintain recruits with the different standards.

Elon, Gardner-Webb, North Dakota State, South Dakota State all did well at first and then struggled after all the D-II players were gone.... It took the former two a few years to get it back together. Being good in D-II doesn't mean anything once you move up....

SDSU had their best season last year, that whole DII players notion is garbage, complete garbage. In 2007 NDSU had a team of players that never took one snap of DII football, but the team went 10-1, NDSU went 6-5 in 2008 because that team just didn't have any leadership(especially at QB).

NDSU's recruiting is about 100 times what it was in DII. Standards were lower but for NDSU having 63 scholarships is huge, and will allow the school to get much better recruits than DII standards ever would.

gophoenix
May 12th, 2009, 12:09 PM
SDSU had their best season last year, that whole DII players notion is garbage, complete garbage. In 2007 NDSU had a team of players that never took one snap of DII football, but the team went 10-1, NDSU went 6-5 in 2008 because that team just didn't have any leadership(especially at QB).

NDSU's recruiting is about 100 times what it was in DII. Standards were lower but for NDSU having 63 scholarships is huge, and will allow the school to get much better recruits than DII standards ever would.

Make whatever argument you want. Every school that has moved up in the past 15 years has the same or similar pattern.

jaxstatealum
May 12th, 2009, 12:22 PM
I would love to see TUNA move up and even come into the OVC xnodx.

Of course we probably won't be there, but then I guess they could take our slot xrolleyesx

FargoBison
May 12th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Make whatever argument you want. Every school that has moved up in the past 15 years has the same or similar pattern.

SDSU isn't and both UND and USD(great DII schools) have been mediocore at best so far, but NDSU's best season's didn't start until the roster was supplemented with DI recruits. The 8 guys we sent to NFL camps this year all played a huge role in that early success, just a shame we had to deal with injuries and QB issues last year.

DII standards probably are a bigger deal for schools located in or near big cities and are near recruiting hotbeds. In DII NDSU recruited mostly a bunch of ND, SD, and outstate Minnesota kids. Players that hardly were academic risks but instead went largely ignored.

I-AA Fan
May 12th, 2009, 12:54 PM

Be careful Bison, he is actually quite correct. A good DII club, such as the xDSU's will bring great teams up to I-AA. However after a few years, they are traditionally not as good. They are now recruiting from the same pool as everyone else, with a reputation of being a DII school. It is very, very tough. Now because of the lack of competition, I do not expect this to happen quite as heavily with the Dakotas (only 2 DI schools in either state). Additionally, you are now in a very strong conference and many players will want to go to the xDSU's, because they were not recruited by another GFC/MVFC school they may have wanted to go to. Or, they want to get away from home & they live near another GFC/MVFC school.

Look at Marshall. They were at the top of the I-AA game in terms of player recruits, recruiting "ringers" as well. (ringers are IA athletes that go to a I-AA school because of any number of reasons, not usually related to football ...ie: bad boy Randy Moss @ Marshall) So, the Herd dominates the MAC with higher talent-level. Then they move to CUSA and are pathetic. As their talent level is equal.

chrisattsu
May 12th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Be careful Bison, he is actually quite correct. A good DII club, such as the xDSU's will bring great teams up to I-AA. However after a few years, they are traditionally not as good. They are now recruiting from the same pool as everyone else, with a reputation of being a DII school. It is very, very tough. Now because of the lack of competition, I do not expect this to happen quite as heavily with the Dakotas. Additionally, you are now in a very strong conference and many players will want to go to the xDSU's, because they were not recruited by another GFC/MVFC school they may have wanted to go to. Or, they want to get away from home & they live near another GFC/MVFC school.

Look at Marshall. They were at the top of the I-AA game in terms of player recruits, recruiting "ringers" as well. (ringers are IA athletes that go to a I-AA school because of any number of reasons, not usually related to football ...ie: bad boy Randy Moss @ Marshall) So, the Herd dominates the MAC with higher talent-level. Then they move to CUSA and are pathetic. As their talent level is equal.

It sounds like Marshall found the "pond" that they belong in. Can't fault them for that.

BEAR
May 12th, 2009, 01:37 PM

Not so. My Bears only had3 players of division II caliber left on them last year and went 10-2. Had a winning record before that and before that also. NOthing has changed with FCS players! SDSU is also in the same boat I beleve. This year looks to be another great year for the Bears also. That division I myth may be proven right more often than not..but not EVERY team goes through it. I wonder if it has something to do with population base also. Arkansas is a small populated state and recruits typically are division II caliber unless they go recruit Louisiana and Texas. xthumbsupx

WileECoyote06
May 12th, 2009, 02:32 PM
UNA makes sense in FCS. They have the size, the fanbase, the facilities, the tradition, and established rivalries.

It makes no sense whatsoever for UNC-P to pursue FCS for now or the near future. They have a fanbase, but not a huge one (3684 fans a game). They don't have any of the other pluses for UNA and the lone rivalry they can truly establish is with Fayetteville State.

As I said, they are going to join the CIAA for football (and maybe basketball) in the next two years and compete in Division II until at least 2017.

gophoenix
May 12th, 2009, 02:50 PM
UNA makes sense in FCS. They have the size, the fanbase, the facilities, the tradition, and established rivalries.

It makes no sense whatsoever for UNC-P to pursue FCS for now or the near future. They have a fanbase, but not a huge one (3684 fans a game). They don't have any of the other pluses for UNA and the lone rivalry they can truly establish is with Fayetteville State.

As I said, they are going to join the CIAA for football (and maybe basketball) in the next two years and compete in Division II until at least 2017.

They could make one with Coastal, Charleston Southern, Presbyterian, Gardner-Webb which are all nearby.

89Hen
May 12th, 2009, 03:27 PM
North Alabama news? Division II news? On a division I board? xeyebrowx

A similar thread was made a few years ago when UCA was reported to be moving up to division I and it was quickly deleted. Mods said UCA wasn't division I yet so any news was irrelevant. I wonder if the mods will do the same to this post? xnodx xlolx
Did UCA ever end up moving up? xsmiley_wix xwhistlex

FargoBison
May 12th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Be careful Bison, he is actually quite correct. A good DII club, such as the xDSU's will bring great teams up to I-AA. However after a few years, they are traditionally not as good. They are now recruiting from the same pool as everyone else, with a reputation of being a DII school. It is very, very tough. Now because of the lack of competition, I do not expect this to happen quite as heavily with the Dakotas (only 2 DI schools in either state). Additionally, you are now in a very strong conference and many players will want to go to the xDSU's, because they were not recruited by another GFC/MVFC school they may have wanted to go to. Or, they want to get away from home & they live near another GFC/MVFC school.

NDSU built a strong DII program largely because of isolation, and superior support, not ringers. Which is the point I was trying to make, the DII standards had little to do with our two 10-1 seasons. Losing those players had even less to do with going 6-5 last year, especially when you consider most were gone the season well before last year.

Now that we have 63 scholarships and are in the MVFC recruiting has improved quite a bit. I think we took 5 or 6 recruits that had FBS offers, and that would have never happened in DII or even a few years ago. In DII a big problem NDSU had in football and especially basketball was that kids like the DI label, especially male recruits. We weren't on a level playing field with UNI, Wyoming, and the MAC schools, now the field is much more level in terms of recruiting.

I do see a how school could load up on players that had academic issues, but that talent is probably more easily found in recruiting hotbeds and not the upper midwest. Most of the recruits we had would have qualified at any level academically, there just wasn't a chance to play at that level outside of one or two schools.

BEAR
May 12th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Did UCA ever end up moving up? xsmiley_wix xwhistlex

Not yet...one more year! xlolx

Again I say...THIS IS DIVISION II NEWS! Mods move it!

CollegeSportsInfo
May 12th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Not yet...one more year! xlolx

Again I say...THIS IS DIVISION II NEWS! Mods move it!

So a potential school moving to FCS and joining an FCS conference represented here, playing opponents represented here, that's not worth discussing? I didn't see winks and smileys, but I'm still assuming your joking.

BEAR
May 12th, 2009, 09:22 PM
So a potential school moving to FCS and joining an FCS conference represented here, playing opponents represented here, that's not worth discussing? I didn't see winks and smileys, but I'm still assuming your joking.

As I said in an earlier post when UCA made the announcement that they had declared to move up, the mods on this board removed the thread about it and when I asked why it was removed they (whoever) emailed me and said it was just Division II news and shouldn't be on this board. UNA hasn't even declared the move and it is allowed on the board? xconfusedx Does this thread have talk about UNA playing FCS schools, yes. But UNA, with all respect, is still Division II! They haven't even declared a move and the mods still keep this thread on here! C'mon mods, UCA declared the move and you removed it...UNA hasn't even done that!

Do the right thing Mods...keep this an FCS board. Division II rumors like this belong on sites like DIIfootball.com.(which I enjoy reading also) xthumbsupx

Lumberjacks76
May 13th, 2009, 09:33 AM
UNA is a good candidate to move up.

Paul

g-webb1994
May 13th, 2009, 10:59 AM
With the movement in the Big South, looking at prospects in D-2 moving up a level is worthy of discussion.

One key thing in moving, and hopefully UNA knows this, is actual intrastructure of your athletic department, especially in compliance. G-Webb was gung ho and went from NAIA to D-1 in less than 15 years. Looking back, it was absurd, we didn't have the intrastructure in place, and suffered as a result with NCAA violations and the whole Carlos Webb scandal. Not pretty.

Good luck to UNA though.....maybe see them down the road in the Big South perhaps?

GATA
May 13th, 2009, 11:00 AM

North Alabama and Valdosta State could probably both finish in the top 3 in the SOCON right now.

g-webb1994
May 13th, 2009, 11:02 AM
North Alabama and Valdosta State could probably both finish in the top 3 in the SOCON right now.

Uh, even though I respect both schools' football prowess.....HELL NO.

Appy would waste them both.
Wofford would waste them both.
Furman would waste them both.
GSU would waste them both.
Elon and Citadel would very likely waste them both.

That puts them ahead of WCU, Chatty, and Samford at best.

gophoenix
May 13th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Uh, even though I respect both schools' football prowess.....HELL NO.

Appy would waste them both.
Wofford would waste them both.
Furman would waste them both.
GSU would waste them both.
Elon and Citadel would very likely waste them both.

That puts them ahead of WCU, Chatty, and Samford at best.

I'm with you. I'd say the top 40 in FCS (real top 40) would trounce them. And then most of the middle teams would beat them.

Our rosters are bigger, we have more scholarships, recruit better and are deeper teams.

CollegeSportsInfo
May 13th, 2009, 12:33 PM
As I said in an earlier post when UCA made the announcement that they had declared to move up, the mods on this board removed the thread about it and when I asked why it was removed they (whoever) emailed me and said it was just Division II news and shouldn't be on this board. UNA hasn't even declared the move and it is allowed on the board? xconfusedx Does this thread have talk about UNA playing FCS schools, yes. But UNA, with all respect, is still Division II! They haven't even declared a move and the mods still keep this thread on here! C'mon mods, UCA declared the move and you removed it...UNA hasn't even done that!

Do the right thing Mods...keep this an FCS board. Division II rumors like this belong on sites like DIIfootball.com.(which I enjoy reading also) xthumbsupx

Well, perhaps I'm an optimist in thinking that the moderators have grown enough since then to realize this was a mistake on their part back then. The title of the thread is "North Alabama moving up to FCS?" Seems like an FCS thread well worthy of discussion here.

GATA
May 13th, 2009, 12:49 PM
I'm with you. I'd say the top 40 in FCS (real top 40) would trounce them. And then most of the middle teams would beat them.

Our rosters are bigger, we have more scholarships, recruit better and are deeper teams.

You guys clearly underestimate Valdosta State and North Alabama...we're not talking about Presbyterian here. The talent gap between DII and FCS is NOWHERE near the FCS-FBS gap.

BearsCountry
May 13th, 2009, 12:54 PM
You guys clearly underestimate Valdosta State and North Alabama...we're not talking about Presbyterian here. The talent gap between DII and FCS is NOWHERE near the FCS-FBS gap.

Very true.

FCS Go!
May 13th, 2009, 01:02 PM

Indeed. See Central Washington @ Montana in 2008 (35-38).

FargoBison
May 13th, 2009, 01:06 PM

There are about 10 good teams in DII and they are definitely two of them. That said, UM-Duluth won the title this year, and that doesn't really say much about the quality of DII football.

catdaddy2402
May 13th, 2009, 01:18 PM

Marshall's downfall hasn't been because their talent level was equal, it's because
A. Bob Pruett retired prior to their first season in CUSA and they hired a dud in Mark Snyder and B. NCAA sanctions. The sanctions are now off the book, and with a new AD coming in expect Snyder to have to produce this season or he'll be gone this time next year.

Redbirdz
May 13th, 2009, 03:26 PM
I don't see UNA moving up. Too costly at the present time.

JBB
May 13th, 2009, 04:17 PM
There are about 10 good teams in DII and they are definitely two of them. That said, UM-Duluth won the title this year, and that doesn't really say much about the quality of DII football.

I thought the top D2 clubs looked pretty good. Duluth looked a lot like the old BISON D2 Dynasty teams. Not real fast. Strong and big. Hard hitting good defense. Deliberate in what they are doing, very physical and able to move the ball.

No D2 team comes into FCS football from D2 and dominates. They can be successful but they need time to build the roster.

NDSU went 8-3, 7-4,10-1, 10-1, 6-5 and now this season. That 6-5 looks like the classic rebuilding year. It wasnt. It was a senior laden team that suffered from injuries and some critical errors. This is the classic rebuilding year for NDSU.

UNA or Valdosta could do the same thing. It would be easier for Valdosta. They have recent success. UNA has been less successful. Its going to be a few years before anybody moves up but they are future prospects.

JDC325
May 13th, 2009, 04:19 PM
There are what, 12 D-II schools that have waivers from this. North Alabama could be one of them. I know UNCP and New Haven are. There was quite a stir a year or so ago about UNCP, West Georgia and North Alabama moving up together and being a package deal for some conference.

Who are the pretenders? I see more pretenders in FBS than I do in FCS.

Please this division has a schools that do not even offer scholarships. How can you be seriously taken as a DIV I school and not offer a full amount of scholarships? This division has a wider gap in talent from the top to the bottom than FBS could ever have due to the FBS having standards. Yes there are bad teams in both but in the FBS you are forced to atleast try. The top year in and out DIV II schools could easily compete with the upper echelon in the FCS RIGHT AWAY while the same can not be said for the top of the FCS if they jumped to the FBS tomorrow. Remember a lot of "pretender" FBS schools were dominate programs in this division.

WileECoyote06
May 13th, 2009, 04:42 PM

Smart man. xthumbsupx

Tod
May 13th, 2009, 04:50 PM

That may be true, but you, of all people (being a GSU fan) seem to be underestimating the power of the SOCON. No way do either of these teams finish in the top 2-3. No way.

Lumberjacks76
May 13th, 2009, 07:02 PM
They seem like a good team to consider moving up. Also, valdosta is another candidate for moving on up.

Paul

gophoenix
May 13th, 2009, 07:35 PM
That may be true, but you, of all people (being a GSU fan) seem to be underestimating the power of the SOCON. No way do either of these teams finish in the top 2-3. No way.

For GATA, sure some don't offer scholarships. When you leave them out, the gap between say Richmond and Charleston Southern is really no different than that of LSU and LA Monroe.

And, you might be able to have D-II teams that can play one game against many in the division, but there is no many top D-II teams come in and play a full CAA, SoCon, Big Sky, Southland, OVC or MVC schedule and dominate.

Carson-Newman is constantly a top 10 team and they've struggled to beat UTC.

TheBisonator
May 13th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Please this division has a schools that do not even offer scholarships. How can you be seriously taken as a DIV I school and not offer a full amount of scholarships? This division has a wider gap in talent from the top to the bottom than FBS could ever have due to the FBS having standards. Yes there are bad teams in both but in the FBS you are forced to atleast try. The top year in and out DIV II schools could easily compete with the upper echelon in the FCS RIGHT AWAY while the same can not be said for the top of the FCS if they jumped to the FBS tomorrow. Remember a lot of "pretender" FBS schools were dominate programs in this division.

Thinking about this makes me think that in the end, FBS might be the best place for my school and a lot of other schools as well.

gophoenix
May 13th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Thinking about this makes me think that in the end, FBS might be the best place for my school and a lot of other schools as well.

Which essentially makes me wonder, how many schools in this division could front the bill for funding FBS (and minimum 16 sports), but can't meet the attendance requirements? I would think the most or all the SoCon, CAA, Big Sky, MVC, Southland (maybe not Nicholls), Patriot and Ivy could do it. The MEAC and SWAC, I just don't know. And I am sure half the OVC (EKU, EIU, JSU, TSU, APSU, SEMU) could, along with maybe half the Big South (Liberty, Coastal and Gardner-Webb could probably swing it), UC Davis, Cal Poly, N and S Dakota.....

TheBisonator
May 13th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Which essentially makes me wonder, how many schools in this division could front the bill for funding FBS (and minimum 16 sports), but can't meet the attendance requirements? I would think the most or all the SoCon, CAA, Big Sky, MVC, Southland (maybe not Nicholls), Patriot and Ivy could do it. The MEAC and SWAC, I just don't know. And I am sure half the OVC (EKU, EIU, JSU, TSU, APSU, SEMU) could, along with maybe half the Big South (Liberty, Coastal and Gardner-Webb could probably swing it), UC Davis, Cal Poly, N and S Dakota.....

The UXD schools have domes with 12,500 (UND) and 10,000 (USD) capacities. NDSU already exceeds the FBS attendance requirements by a good 3,000 right now.

The problem is that our dome seats 19,000 solid and there's probably no way the place could be expanded.

If we had a 25,000-seat dome right now, we'd probably be more serious in our FBS talk.

gophoenix
May 14th, 2009, 07:13 AM
The UXD schools have domes with 12,500 (UND) and 10,000 (USD) capacities. NDSU already exceeds the FBS attendance requirements by a good 3,000 right now.

The problem is that our dome seats 19,000 solid and there's probably no way the place could be expanded.

If we had a 25,000-seat dome right now, we'd probably be more serious in our FBS talk.

Well, there are what, 15 schools or so that can meet the attendance. But looking at sports offered and budgets at the MEAC and SWAC schools, that they couldn't just make the jump without a big increase in spending.

Schools like App, GSU, JMU, Del, NDSU, UNI, Montana are just no brainers. Schools like The Citadel and Furman are sitting on the edge of the requirements.

But the question I'm having is, without the attendance requirements; could schools like Coastal, Liberty, Elon, Hofstra, Wofford, Samford EIU, SHSU, SFA, EWU, APSU, Villanova pull off a move. It's just money at that point.

WileECoyote06
May 14th, 2009, 08:39 AM
For GATA, sure some don't offer scholarships. When you leave them out, the gap between say Richmond and Charleston Southern is really no different than that of LSU and LA Monroe.

And, you might be able to have D-II teams that can play one game against many in the division, but there is no many top D-II teams come in and play a full CAA, SoCon, Big Sky, Southland, OVC or MVC schedule and dominate.

Carson-Newman is constantly a top 10 team and they've struggled to beat UTC.

They beat UTC 29-17 in 2007 when they played. And as a fan of a team that came from the DII south region, believe me, the triumvirate (Delta State, Valdosta State, and North Alabama) can beat a majority of FCS teams.

gophoenix
May 14th, 2009, 09:33 AM
They beat UTC 29-17 in 2007 when they played. And as a fan of a team that came from the DII south region, believe me, the triumvirate (Delta State, Valdosta State, and North Alabama) can beat a majority of FCS teams.

And I am saying, I just don't see it. 29-17. UTC was 2-9 that year, was completely skunked by The Citadel, Wofford and App and not really in the games with Furman, Elon, Jax State or WKU judging by the box scores.

So. Doesn't show much other than Carson-Newman and squeak by a bad UTC team on opening day and UNA can squeak by Carson-Newman the next week.

Lumberjacks76
May 14th, 2009, 09:49 AM
North Alabama has the facilities to move up to FCS. They just need to go ahead and do it.

Paul

UAalum72
May 14th, 2009, 11:41 AM
They beat UTC 29-17 in 2007
That UTC team was 2-9, not much to compare to the "majority of FCS"

Cocky
May 15th, 2009, 06:29 AM
http://www.timesdaily.com/article/20090515/ARTICLES/905155030/1011/NEWS?Title=Student-fee-would-help-fund-athletics

WileECoyote06
May 15th, 2009, 09:01 AM
That UTC team was 2-9, not much to compare to the "majority of FCS"

Carson-Newman is a good team and perennial power, but those three teams in the Gulf South are much better than them.

Furthermore, considering Carson-Newman was able to beat UTC with only 24 scholarships (36 is the max in DII); that's even MORE impressive.

kperk014
May 15th, 2009, 09:08 PM
I remember sitting in Stambaugh Stadium on October 8, 1994 ...watching North Alabama driving for a winning score (and they were moving the ball successfully) against YSU with very little time on the clock. YSU had a game-saving INT and coach Tressel could still not run the clock out against N. Alabama. Luckily time ran out with the final score 17-14 Youngstown on top. At the end of the year, YSU was undefeated and I-AA national champs ...North Alabama had just 1-loss and DII national champs. One heck of a game & clearly the best team (at least defense) we faced all year. That included huge games against Stephen F. Austin, Eastern Kentucky, McNeese State, Kent State (IA), Akron (IA), UMass, Alcorn (with McNair), Montana, and Boise State.

I could have no more respect for a team than the Lions. Those guys game in with a game plan to win ...and they executed. They were enormous up front on both sides of the ball.

I didn't make the trip up to Youngstown but I was glued to my radio. It was one heckuva game! I watched YSU blast Steve McNair and company on TV, later in the playoffs. That was a close loss but we have beaten ETSU, MTSU, Jax St, and Southwestern La (Louisiana-Lafayette) in the past. With the ability to add quality depth with an additional 30 schollies, I think we could compete adequately especially if Terry Bowden stays. I really think he is planning to stay if we move up. I believe a coach's ambition to climb, lessens with age. I may be wrong but that's the way I look at it.

kperk014
May 15th, 2009, 09:16 PM

xlolx He doesn't like the fact that UNA regularly kicked their butts, right up till the time they moved up. I understand him wanting to forget the past.

BEAR
May 15th, 2009, 10:23 PM
xlolx He doesn't like the fact that UNA regularly kicked their butts, right up till the time they moved up. I understand him wanting to forget the past.

Hey Lion, what division are you in? OH yeah, the one that you will be in for another 20 years. xlolx Don't be mad we moved up and are successful at this level, get over it and go back to the division II board and take this topic with you. xcoffeex

kperk014
May 15th, 2009, 10:36 PM
Hey Lion, what division are you in? OH yeah, the one that you will be in for another 20 years. xlolx Don't be mad we moved up and are successful at this level, get over it and go back to the division II board and take this topic with you. xcoffeex

Still hurts, doesn't it? :D You know the only reason we haven't already moved up is the National Championship Game. We probably would've made the move when Jax State did.

BEAR
May 15th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Still hurts, doesn't it? :D You know the only reason we haven't already moved up is the National Championship Game. We probably would've made the move when Jax State did.

We didn't win a national title in division II and we moved up...you won it and didn't move up? What? Until you move up, and make some noise, you'll be stuck in the mire that is division II.

(By the way, 12 transfers for your 2009 team must be nice. Along with all those Auburn and Alabama throw aways and your recruiting in Florida and Georgia makes for a pretty good team on a yearly basis doesn't it? Try recruiting Arkansas and get some talent out of a state like this and see how well you do. But I did notice that when we left, you guys started to dominate the GSC. From 1996 til 2004 or so you guys didn't have a winning record did you?) Go back to the dvision II board please and talk the smack when you arrive and have some success. xthumbsupx Success in division II doesn't mean you will do well in division I. Heck you said it, UCA was always in second or third in the GSC, and now they are in first in the SLC. Strange I know.

UNA Head Coach: Terry Bowden
Receivers coach: Jeff Bowden
Tight Ends coach: Pat Carter

(Quite the level playing field for sure)

P.S. How many students go to Grand Valley state? LOL

kperk014
May 15th, 2009, 11:16 PM
We didn't win a national title in division II and we moved up...you won it and didn't move up? What? Until you move up, and make some noise, you'll be stuck in the mire that is division II.

(By the way, 12 transfers for your 2009 team must be nice. Along with all those Auburn and Alabama throw aways and your recruiting in Florida and Georgia makes for a pretty good team on a yearly basis doesn't it? Try recruiting Arkansas and get some talent out of a state like this and see how well you do. But I did notice that when we left, you guys started to dominate the GSC. From 1996 til 3004 or so you guys didn't have a winning record did you?) Go back to the dvision II board please and talk the smack when you arrive and have some success. xthumbsupx Success in division II doesn't mean you will do well in division I. Heck you said it, UCA was always in second or third in the GSC, and now they are in first in the SLC. Strange I know.

First of all, it's a long way till 3004. Arkansas smarts, I guess. We had a couple of down years because an AD we had for a short time made a bad hire after Wallace left. If I'm not mistaken, that was about the only time you guys ever beat us. Even in those Bill Hyde "down years" you only beat us once when we were 4-6. In our last 14 games, out of the 3 you won, one was by 1 point and the other was by 3 in double OT. I'm not really sure where you are getting this feeling of being dominant when you were in D2. Certainly not enough to go around talking smack about a team that routinely beat you by scores like: 31-3, 31-12, 47-33, 35-6, 28-7, and so on. I wasn't trying to put you guys down. UCA was usually the best of the Arkansas schools and it made for better games. It would be fun to play each other again.

BEAR
May 16th, 2009, 01:17 AM
Oh please, I corrected the 3004 thing right after I noticed it. You must have posted before it was noticed. Don't be the typing police. xrolleyesx

Here's a good question since I am very familiar with you and your comments from the DII board. Where exactly do you think UNA will get the funds to move up? The 8k students? xlolx The alumni who hear the great news? xsmhx Will your administration make the effort to go get the cash?on a regular basis? xeyebrowx I hope so. Money games pay expenses, but not much more. Plus moving to division I includes moving ALL your teams to division I...and that is costly. But you know that already.

I understand you miss the days of playing those teams that went onto the FBS, but when the "freeze" on moving up is finally lifted in 2011, do you think UNA will be ready to make that leap. If not, I'm willing to bet that other schools already have it in their plans and they will bottle up the line, frustrate the NCAA again so they put another "freeze" on and UNA will still be in DII, winning and cheering for their lions.

Has UNA even announced it will be moving up in 2011? Shown hints about it in their athletic department headlines? Put together a commitee or anything to research the viability to do it? Is this all speculation about a DII school's fans dreams? IF so, it doesn't belong here..maybe the smack board is better for it.

Good luck with the move up..if it ever happens. (and yes I probably mispelled several words..it's 1 a.m. xlolx)

kperk014
May 16th, 2009, 02:43 AM
Oh please, I corrected the 3004 thing right after I noticed it. You must have posted before it was noticed. Don't be the typing police. xrolleyesx

Here's a good question since I am very familiar with you and your comments from the DII board. Where exactly do you think UNA will get the funds to move up? The 8k students? xlolx The alumni who hear the great news? xsmhx Will your administration make the effort to go get the cash?on a regular basis? xeyebrowx I hope so. Money games pay expenses, but not much more. Plus moving to division I includes moving ALL your teams to division I...and that is costly. But you know that already.

I understand you miss the days of playing those teams that went onto the FBS, but when the "freeze" on moving up is finally lifted in 2011, do you think UNA will be ready to make that leap. If not, I'm willing to bet that other schools already have it in their plans and they will bottle up the line, frustrate the NCAA again so they put another "freeze" on and UNA will still be in DII, winning and cheering for their lions.

Has UNA even announced it will be moving up in 2011? Shown hints about it in their athletic department headlines? Put together a commitee or anything to research the viability to do it? Is this all speculation about a DII school's fans dreams? IF so, it doesn't belong here..maybe the smack board is better for it.

Good luck with the move up..if it ever happens. (and yes I probably mispelled several words..it's 1 a.m. xlolx)

Here's the latest article:
http://www.timesdaily.com/article/20090515/ARTICLES/905155030

Plus we have one of the best motivational speakers around in Bowden. He's been on an almost non-stop speaking tour since he took the job. This past week, the Bowden Express has been in Montgomery, Decatur, and Birmingham. At each stop, Bowden spoke and visited with guests at a UNA-hosted scholarship dinner or breakfast.

“This is a grass-roots effort by alumni in each of these cities to help provide scholarship funds for students in their areas,” said Carol Lyles, UNA director of alumni relations.

I think if anyone can help put together a financial base for UNA athletics, it's Bowden.

TexasTerror
May 16th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Wanted to highlight this from the above article posted...

UNIVERSITY OF NORTH ALABAMA - University of North Alabama students may have to pay an athletic fee next semester to help bring the university's athletic department to elite status in NCAA Division II.

UNA trustees are considering a proposal to boost the university's athletic department and possibly prepare it for a jump to Division I in the future.

Trustees have considered switching the university's athletic program from Division II to Division I often in recent years. They paid a consultant $30,000 in 2008 to research the possibility and make recommendations about whether UNA should pursue Division I and if the Lions would be successful making the move.

http://www.timesdaily.com/article/20090515/ARTICLES/905155030/1011/NEWS?Title=Student-fee-would-help-fund-athletics

BEAR
May 16th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Someone should have posted that article earlier! That's what should have been the topic of this thread! xthumbsupx

You mean students haven't paid an athletic fee yet? Wow! xeekx

$30 fee generates $210,00 a semester. Interesting. UCA I believe has a $39 fee and it's rising if it already hasn't. If you consider Fall, spring, May intercession, 10 week summer, summer I and summer II all getting that @$40 fund, it adds up to help support the athletic department. Does UNA have that many "times" they get that fee or is it simply fall spring and maybe summer? Plus how much are ticket prices? I believe it will go up to like $12 per to see UCA next fall. Everything goes way up in ticket prices when you move to division I. Plus you have to add staff, pay for your "Bowden" and so on...it's mind boggling to think about. xeekx

kperk014
May 16th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Since I'm not sure if the 2011 date means Jan 1 or Dec 31 of 2011, it could be 2 seasons away or 3. If anyone knows, please post. I do see these events as the next step since consulting with Johnny Williams for a second time and hiring Coach Bowden. UNA ticket prices have $10 for quite some time so it would stand to reason that would rise. I read where some GSC schools are already paying fees of up to $130 per semester.

BlazerDawg
May 17th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Since Valdosta State has been mentioned, I'll jump in here.

VSU will have to move up at some point. The geography of D-II football will force us to do so. There are five D-II programs in the state, and three of them refuse to play us. Two of those schools are with an hour and a half of Valdosta. West Georgia is openly stating their intention to move; so, I expect that when UWG seriously begins to move towards FCS, VSU will go along at the the same time.

As to our ability to compete in FCS, we have had teams that were capable of contending. Right now we have a lot of questions due to QB concerns; so, I think it would be a bit bold to beat our chest about how we would do elsewhere. We've got enough questions in the GSC and D-II.

WileECoyote06
May 18th, 2009, 08:56 AM
Since I'm not sure if the 2011 date means Jan 1 or Dec 31 of 2011, it could be 2 seasons away or 3. If anyone knows, please post. I do see these events as the next step since consulting with Johnny Williams for a second time and hiring Coach Bowden. UNA ticket prices have $10 for quite some time so it would stand to reason that would rise. I read where some GSC schools are already paying fees of up to $130 per semester.

That's hella cheap for Division II. Does your state allow public schools to pull money directly from state funding for athletics?

Athletic fees in NC range from just over $100 to nearly $600 dollars at the UNC schools.

TexasTerror
May 18th, 2009, 09:00 AM
I know some Div I schools that are not making more than $100 from their students per semester...

Lehigh Football Nation
May 18th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Athletic fees in NC range from just over $100 to nearly $600 dollars at the UNC schools.

Didn't these just go up immensely in North Carolina with the latest budgets?

WileECoyote06
May 18th, 2009, 12:19 PM
I know some Div I schools that are not making more than $100 from their students per semester...

I've seen it usually work the opposite. Students at higher profile (read FBS) public schools pay the least in athletic fees due to massive enrollment, active donors, and corporate sponsors. In North Carolina, it is the FCS/DIID-IAA public schools, that seem to have the highest fees.

kperk014
May 18th, 2009, 01:31 PM
If North Alabama IS moving up, I think it's a good sign for their athletic programs that they've done quite well WITHOUT student fees. When you add the fees in with Bowden's abilities as a fundraiser, increased attendance because of higher quality of play, and the eventual occasional "money" game; that is very encouraging.

BEAR
May 18th, 2009, 03:33 PM
So what are the athletic fees at different schools?

UA-Monticello (division II) has an athletic fee of $130.
UCA has $39 (at least that's what I'm charged as a grad student)
UNA- (Division II) $0
Texas State? Possibly moving to FBS. $?
SHSU?

Post your athletic fee or a site that shows all the schools athletic fees. It would be interesting to see those and how the teams are doing in comparison. UA-Monty is not bad, and has had some succes with really good QBs, but typically UNA and Valdosta are the teams winning the conference.

danefan
May 18th, 2009, 03:46 PM
So what are the athletic fees at different schools?

UA-Monticello (division II) has an athletic fee of $130.
UCA has $39 (at least that's what I'm charged as a grad student)
UNA- (Division II) $0
Texas State? Possibly moving to FBS. $?
SHSU?

Post your athletic fee or a site that shows all the schools athletic fees. It would be interesting to see those and how the teams are doing in comparison. UA-Monty is not bad, and has had some succes with really good QBs, but typically UNA and Valdosta are the teams winning the conference.

Albany's Athletic Fee is $214.50 for 12 or more credits, $160.88 for 9-11 credits, $107.5 for 6-8 credits per semester for undergrads. Graduate students don't pay an athletic fee.

BEAR
May 18th, 2009, 04:01 PM
$214 for FCS! Dang the UCA athletic admin needs to see this! xlolx

WileECoyote06
May 18th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Ours is $274 for a full-time student. The only people who don't pay athletic fees are distance learning students or graduate students in executive programs.

UNAPride
July 27th, 2010, 11:36 PM
UNC-P is not reclassifying anytime soon. They will eventually join the CIAA for football and stay in D2 for at least seven to ten years.

What a difference a year can make. Looks like the deal is done for them to join the Gulf South Conference when the Arkies leave.