Bad game?

How's Stony Brook gonna be this year?

xconfusedx

Gil Dobie
May 11th, 2009, 07:56 PM
I'm thinking UND gets a sure win for the Potato Bowl xeyebrowx

Seawolf97
May 11th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Good name for this game ! At one time Long Island was famous for their potatoes. Now 3.5 million occupy just about every potatoe farm that once existed, Then there is our mascot the Seawolf -a legendary creature of local Long Island Indian Lore.
As for the game I really dont know. I really want to see how we do in our first four non conference games including UMass. If we travel to North Dakota at 2-2 or better it should be interesting. Either way it is our first trip West of the Mississippi, probably one of many to come.

Redwyn
May 12th, 2009, 06:04 AM
SBU should be a good team this year. Good enough to beat UND...not sure. Statistically UND was better, but then again it played a good number of sub-D1 teams. On the other hand, the sheer distance will put SBU off a decent deal - UND really has good homefield advantage in this one.

Gotta agree with Seawolf, it'll be all about the team's early OOC record. If they play well early, then SBU will make a game of this one. If not, then good team or not, SBU won't be able to compete with this long away game.

JBB
May 12th, 2009, 10:33 AM
UND only had 1 FCS win last year. They hung on against Idaho State 38-35. They played southern Illinois and lost 40-21. I watched that game and it wasnt that close.

They may claim another FCS win in OT over University of South Dakota but they counted as a D2 opponent.

They lost a lot in graduation. Their recruiting class might have been average for the division. They are hanging their hopes on a first year Jr. QB. Their top running back is in academic trouble but will probably clear that up in time for the game.

Stoney Brook should be able to come into Grand Forks with a real good chance and a probably win. You might get a chance to see UND on TV when they face Texas Tech this fall. That should give you some idea of what you will be up against.

Model Citizen
May 12th, 2009, 01:00 PM
One year deal? Will there be a return game at Stony Brook?

Uncle Buck
May 12th, 2009, 03:52 PM
One thing i'm fairly certain about, Coach Priore should have his team ready to play. They have some good young talent coming back and it also looks like they added some talent that could make an impact right away. I think this could be a great game when all is said and done.

darell1976
May 12th, 2009, 04:53 PM
UND only had 1 FCS win last year. They hung on against Idaho State 38-35. They played southern Illinois and lost 40-21. I watched that game and it wasnt that close.

They may claim another FCS win in OT over University of South Dakota but they counted as a D2 opponent.

They lost a lot in graduation. Their recruiting class might have been average for the division. They are hanging their hopes on a first year Jr. QB. Their top running back is in academic trouble but will probably clear that up in time for the game.

Stoney Brook should be able to come into Grand Forks with a real good chance and a probably win. You might get a chance to see UND on TV when they face Texas Tech this fall. That should give you some idea of what you will be up against.

Don't forget our head coach was in his first season last year. So now he has a taste of being head coach plus our new QB has a little experience last year i see a better than 6-4 record like we did last year i see maybe an 8-3 record. We will lose to Texas Tech so you can't look to much into that game. The game against Stoney Brook will be a great game and i am going to have to drive up for that one.

Seawolf97
May 12th, 2009, 09:01 PM
Don't forget our head coach was in his first season last year. So now he has a taste of being head coach plus our new QB has a little experience last year i see a better than 6-4 record like we did last year i see maybe an 8-3 record. We will lose to Texas Tech so you can't look to much into that game. The game against Stoney Brook will be a great game and i am going to have to drive up for that one.

I agree it should be a good one. Now to get UND to Long Island one of these days.

dakotadan
May 12th, 2009, 09:11 PM
One year deal? Will there be a return game at Stony Brook?

I have heard that it is a one year guarantee deal.

Seawolf97
May 12th, 2009, 09:23 PM
I have heard that it is a one year guarantee deal.

Too bad . Long Island is alot different than North Dakota and I would like to see teams from other parts of the country visit. Good Luck with Texas Tech -that is a
tough one.

JBB
May 13th, 2009, 08:25 AM

There are 3 lower division teams on the UND schedule, but thats not uncommon for a transition team. Beyond that its not a particularly tough schedule. It might be possible for UND to pull out 5 FCS wins but I doubt it.

Stony Brook is a good game for UND. they were 5-6 last year but played much tough competion. UND had a very weak schedul last year and only got past 1 FCS team. Their schedule this year isnt much better and Stony Brook will probably be the highlight of their OOC games.

It should be a match up of 2 equal teams. With Stony Brooks tougher schedule, seasoned FCS squad and superior coaching I have to go with the SeaWolves. I would also give the route factor to the SeaWolves. If this one gets away from anybody it will be UND. There should be a lot of excitement up in Grand Forks and this one might even draw a crowd.

GSUhooligan
May 13th, 2009, 08:29 AM
Shouldn't the name "Potato Bowl" be reserved for an Idaho in-state rivalry? Or at least a Dan Quayle-sponsored spelling bee.

Thundar
May 13th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Shouldn't the name "Potato Bowl" be reserved for an Idaho in-state rivalry? Or at least a Dan Quayle-sponsored spelling bee.

There are lots of Potato's in the Red River Valley, with a French Fry factory in Grand Forks, at least I think they still make FF, it still smells the same:D

dmksioux
May 13th, 2009, 04:52 PM

Idaho tends to grow the white potatoes and the Red River Valley in North Dakota Minnesota produces red potatoes. The first Potato Bowl was actually played against Idaho St. (Which we won 41-0 in 1966). We also had Idahos St. scheduled for this years Potato Bowl but they backed out to play Oklahoma (I think).

Here is a little info on the Potato Bowl in case your interested...
http://www.fightingsioux.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13500&ATCLID=3736707

UNH_Alum_In_CT
May 13th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Some day UND will have to schedule Maine for this Potato Bowl. That way the football AND ice hockey games that weekend could all be played against each other, schools representing potato growing areas! xnodx

Seawolf97
May 13th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Some day UND will have to schedule Maine for this Potato Bowl. That way the football AND ice hockey games that weekend could all be played against each other, schools representing potato growing areas! xnodx

Long Island is just about out of potato farms except on the eastern end. Long Island is more famous now for it's traffic and it's shopping malls. In any event glad to see all the interest in this game and it is only May !:)

darell1976
May 13th, 2009, 09:01 PM
I agree it should be a good one. Now to get UND to Long Island one of these days.

I would love a trip out there for a road game you got football and all the sites in the NYC area. :)

darell1976
May 13th, 2009, 09:03 PM

I would think with the Sioux a major hockey team that they couldn't take advantage of that and see if some other hockey schools in the FCS couldn't schedule us. Maine, New Hampshire, Ivy League schools, Michigan (just kiddingxlolx). It would be nice to see fresh teams to play either on the road or at home.

darell1976
May 13th, 2009, 09:06 PM
Idaho tends to grow the white potatoes and the Red River Valley in North Dakota Minnesota produces red potatoes. The first Potato Bowl was actually played against Idaho St. (Which we won 41-0 in 1966). We also had Idahos St. scheduled for this years Potato Bowl but they backed out to play Oklahoma (I think).

Here is a little info on the Potato Bowl in case your interested...
http://www.fightingsioux.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13500&ATCLID=3736707

It is Oklahoma they replaced the Sioux with. Too bad i would have liked to see Idaho St for the potato bowl but its their loss and they will lose to Oklahoma too.

Seawolf97
May 13th, 2009, 09:21 PM
I would love a trip out there for a road game you got football and all the sites in the NYC area. :)

Gotta get your AD to call our AD . We play alot of regional teams which is good especially now but it would be nice to see some teams from out West come East.
I know we play Denver in lacrosse home and away pretty often and we played Air Force in basketball. So why not some western teams in football?

Gil Dobie
May 14th, 2009, 10:06 AM

Long Island is a great place to vacation. We went to the US Open Tennis before we hit the Hampton's for a wedding.

darell1976
May 14th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Long Island is a great place to vacation. We went to the US Open Tennis before we hit the Hampton's for a wedding.

I have always wanted to go to NYC. They now reopened the Statue Of Liberty. That would be cool to see.

GSUhooligan
May 15th, 2009, 10:01 AM
Idaho tends to grow the white potatoes and the Red River Valley in North Dakota Minnesota produces red potatoes.

Hmm. Learn somethin new...