PDA

View Full Version : Will BYU Linebacker Matt Ah You Transfer to Weber State?

Native
May 11th, 2009, 01:57 PM
From the Salt Lake City Tribune and ksl.com:
http://www.sltrib.com/sports/ci_12295551
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=272&sid=6377029

Junior linebacker Matt Ah You (5-11, 220) has been granted a transfer by BYU. According to press accounts, he will be able to use his final year of eligibility in an FCS program.

Ah You is a three year letter winner at BYU, where he played in 26 games, including 13 games and two starts in the 2008 season.

Any guesses as to where he might transfer??? xnodx

Green26
May 11th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Has he graduated from BYU?

How is he able to get around the requirement, adopted several years ago, that I-A to I-AA transfers have 2 remaining years of eligibility?

I Bleed Purple
May 11th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Interesting. Linebacker help would be great.

Native
May 11th, 2009, 09:56 PM
Has he graduated from BYU?

How is he able to get around the requirement, adopted several years ago, that I-A to I-AA transfers have 2 remaining years of eligibility?

According to the press accounts, Ah You has not graduated and will be able to use his last year of eligibility in an FCS program. Maybe he never used his redshirt season?

Native
May 11th, 2009, 10:10 PM
According to Ah You's biography on the BYU website, Matt "... totaled 50 tackles on the season, including 19 solo takedowns ... recorded one tackle for loss and one pass breakup in 2008 ... credited with a half-sack against Utah ... recovered a fumble against Wyoming. ..."

http://www.byucougars.com/Profile.jsp?ID=1407

Green26
May 12th, 2009, 12:32 AM
I think there may be an exception for a player who was not recruited and hasn't received a scholarship. Is he on scholarship?

Green26
May 12th, 2009, 06:33 AM
He is transferring because his playing time is going to be diminished, according to what he said in this article: "I would come off the bench more limited than I was last year...

"NCAA rules prohibit seniors from not only transferring from one Division I school to another within the same conference, but they also don’t allow seniors to transfer to any university of Division I status. Hence, Ah You is currently looking at Division II universities in the state of Utah.

“I’m looking at Weber State or SUU or Dixie,” Ah You said. “I can’t transfer to another Division I school being a senior, so right now I’m just going through the process of trying to find a place to play."

http://209.85.173.132/search?q=cache:DdePyGM7hIYJ:byu.scout.com/2/862807.html+matt+ah+you+transfer&cd=18&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Ronbo
May 12th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Ha Ha, here we go. He thinks Weber State and Southern Utah are Div. II. I guess it will be Dixie State.

griz8791
May 12th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Ha Ha, here we go. He thinks Weber State and Southern Utah are Div. II. I guess it will be Dixie State.

Or maybe he knows what the deal is and it was TotalBlueSports.com, scout.com, and/or foxsports.com who think that Weber and Southern Utah are DII. Way to go, editors.

xbangx

Ronbo
May 12th, 2009, 09:42 AM
This is a quote from the players own mouth.

“I can’t transfer to another Division I school being a senior, so right now I’m just going through the process of trying to find a place to play."

As is this.

“I’m looking at Weber State or SUU or Dixie,”

Looks like Ah You seriously thinks Weber State is Div. II.xlolx

griz8791
May 12th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Wow. You would think the coaches at either of those schools would warn him off.

Native
May 13th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Wow. You would think the coaches at either of those schools would warn him off.

Coach Mendenhall and Coach McBride are not fools. If indeed it is the case that Ah You cannot play FCS, I am sure that they have already warned him off of Weber.

Native
May 13th, 2009, 01:11 PM
I think there may be an exception for a player who was not recruited and hasn't received a scholarship. Is he on scholarship?

I suspect Ah You was on scholarship at BYU, since he was apparently recruited from out of state (southern California). But his preference for an in-state school hints that he might have become a Utah resident and be eligible for in-state tuition.

Will this make a difference? I doubt that the Transfer Guide published by the NCAA covers all the possible exceptions and waivers.

Can't wait to see what happens!

Native
May 16th, 2009, 08:47 PM

Apparently is does not matter if Matt didn't burn his redshirt, and it's hard to imagine that he was never on scholarship at BYU. Here is an excerpt from the 2007-08 NCAA transfer guidance:

If this is your first transfer … If you have never transferred before from a
four-year school, you might be able to use the one-time transfer exception to play right away at a Division I or II school. To use this exception, you must... transfer from a Football Bowl Subdivision (formerly Division I-A) school to a football championship subdivision (formerly Division I-AA) school and have at least two seasons of competition remaining; ...

Note: If you do not qualify for this exception due to any of the conditions in Subsection 1 above, you may be able to use the exception if you were not recruited by your first four-year school and have never received an athletics scholarship.
http://www.drexeldragons.com/Pdfs/gen/2007/11/2/2007-08_transfer_guide.pdf

Native
May 21st, 2009, 10:38 PM
...Looks like Ah You seriously thinks Weber State is Div. II.xlolx

You could be right, Ronbo. Ah You and Weber fans could be delusional.

Hmmm.... What COULD those irresponsible coaches and delusional fans and players possibly be thinking? I wonder if he will have graduated before the start of nest season? If so, do you think the current NCAA transfer eligibility rules for graduate students would make a difference?

Here is what I found from http://www.ncaa.org/wps/ncaa?ContentID=420 :

..."a student-athlete who has eligibility remaining and is within the specified five-year period may participate while enrolled in a graduate or professional school at a Division I college or university other than the institution at which he or she completed an undergraduate degree, provided he or she meets the criteria of the one-time transfer exception to the general transfer residence requirement. That exception is as follows:

•The student-athlete must be seeking to participate in a sport other than baseball, football, basketball and men's ice hockey, except that a student-athlete who seeks to participate in NCAA Football Championship Subdivision may use this exception only if transferring from a Football Bowl Subdivision program.
•The student-athlete may not have transferred previously from another four-year institution unless he or she transferred previously and received an exception to the transfer residence requirement because his or her institution either discontinued the sport or did not sponsor the sport in which the student-athlete is a participant.

•The student must have been in good academic standing and eligible to compete had he or she decided to remain at the previous institution.

•The student-athlete's previous institution must certify in writing that it has no objection to the student-athlete being granted an exception to the transfer residence requirement...."

xreadx

Ronbo
May 22nd, 2009, 09:28 AM
So if he graduates from BYU and enrolls in a Weber State Graduate program he could play his senior year of eligibility at Weber State. We have discussed this at eGriz a few times and were aware of it.

Native
May 22nd, 2009, 09:13 PM
So if he graduates from BYU and enrolls in a Weber State Graduate program he could play his senior year of eligibility at Weber State. We have discussed this at eGriz a few times and were aware of it.

Can't wait to find out. We surely need help in the linebacker corps.