PDA

View Full Version : Delaware Expected to Introduce New AD Muir Later Today

93henfan
May 11th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Bernard Muir

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/gu/sports/genrel/auto_headshot/1283715.jpeg

http://www.delawareonline.com/blogs/collegesports.html

It seems to be quite a compliment to the University of Delaware that the man sources have told The News Journal will be named athletic director today, Bernard Muir, is leaving a position that most would deem superior to the one he is accepting. Muir is presently the athletic director at Georgetown, a prestigious post for which he was chosen at age 36 after several years as a deputy AD at Notre Dame.

The Delaware AD job was widely viewed as very attractive in college athletic circles, and for UD to snare a man of Muir's pedigree, it truly is. It'll be interesting to hear him speak today about his reasons for leaving the Big East's Hoyas for the Colonial Athletic Association's Blue Hens...

Here is his bio from Georgetown: http://guhoyas.cstv.com/genrel/muir_bernard00.html

Sounds like a great hire to me. Looking forward to getting someone competent in this position to get our program moving forward to where it should be.

danefan
May 11th, 2009, 08:49 AM
That's a bit of a surpise, don't you think? Hopefully he wasn't the reason for the lack of football investment at G'town.

93henfan
May 11th, 2009, 08:52 AM
That's a bit of a surpise, don't you think? Hopefully he wasn't the reason for the lack of football investment at G'town.

Or perhaps the lack of football investment at Georgetown is the reason he is leaving? Maybe he wants to help build a CAA program that wants to get better instead of a Big East school that only cares about its basketball program. If Muir can move both our football and basketball programs forward, I'll be thrilled.

bluehenbillk
May 11th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Any Hoya fans care to fill us in on your opinion of your former AD?

Lehigh Football Nation
May 11th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Or perhaps the lack of football investment at Georgetown is the reason he is leaving? Maybe he wants to help build a CAA program that wants to get better instead of a Big East school that only cares about its basketball program. If Muir can move both our football and basketball programs forward, I'll be thrilled.

xlmaox

Woo hoo hoo! Can I nominate this for Homer Post of the Year?

As someone who has actually dealt with Muir, I can say that while he's no hater on football, he hasn't exactly been laser-like with his focus on it. But to think that he's leaving because of lack of investment in football? That his "heroic efforts on improving the program have been thwarted by that damend BOT?" WAH HAH HAH!!!

Like so many things around college sports, this appears to be a "basketball thing". Muir wants to build a legacy at Delaware in basketball.

danefan
May 11th, 2009, 09:30 AM
xlmaox

As someone who has actually dealt with Muir, I can say that while he's no hater on football, he hasn't exactly been laser-like with his focus on it. But to think that he's leaving because of lack of investment in football? That his "heroic efforts on improving the program have been thwarted by that damend BOT?" WAH HAH HAH!!!

Like so many things around college sports, this appears to be a "basketball thing". Muir wants to build a legacy at Delaware in basketball.

I hope not - the only way to build a legacy in basketball at this level is to add funding, usually at the expense of other men's sports (including football). But Delaware isn't the norm at this level football-wise because of the attendance.

93henfan
May 11th, 2009, 09:52 AM
As someone who has actually dealt with Muir, I can say that while he's no hater on football, he hasn't exactly been laser-like with his focus on it.

When has Georgetown ever been laser-like in its focus on football?

I wasn't trying to be a homer at all. You can save your smilies and other nonsense. Danefan seemed to insinuate that Muir was somehow liable for G-Town's lack of inspiration in football, when it's never had any in the first place.

Care to expand on your vast interactions with our new AD? Since you have so much insight, perhaps you'd be willing to share it on an FCS forum instead of wasting your time trying to pick apart others' posts. Maybe you should have chaired the search committee. I can't believe UD doesn't know about someone as connected as you are.

89Hen
May 11th, 2009, 10:39 AM
xlmaox

xconfusedx xconfusedx xsmhx Perhaps he aspires to run a total athletic program. Football IS king in college sports by a LONG shot. I'm not saying UD football is bigger than G'town basketball, but if he aspires to run an even bigger program than UD or GU, he probably should have some better football experience. You honestly think the Prez and trustees of UD, who have a vision of a new football stadium, are bringing in a guy to fill a 5000 basketball arena?

digger3210
May 11th, 2009, 11:26 AM
xlmaox

FWIW at least one G'town fan believes that he is making the move to be associated with a better football program...

'Muir's seemingly odd move from the Big East to the Colonial Athletic Association has been linked to a variety of factors, ranging from his relationship with Georgetown President Jack DeGoia after interviewing for the same post at both Duke and Northwestern, his tense relationship with John Thompson (II), and simply a desire to go to a school that has a better football program, which is how AD's really make their mark.'

http://www.casualhoya.com/2009/5/11/871798/athletic-director-bernard-muir-to

CFBfan
May 11th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Any Hoya fans care to fill us in on your opinion of your former AD?

I do not know what reasons compelled Muir to leave G Town for U Del but here is what I do know......I am the father of an underclassman who was recruited by many 1AA and a few 1A's out of HS including all the Patriots and he chose G Town for a number of reasons, ONE of them being the "pitch" from Kelly and other coaches on how WITH Muir, their new AD from Notre Dame who was a friend of the football program, they were going to turn things around in a big way.......looks like empty words right now.

93henfan
May 11th, 2009, 11:59 AM
UD Press Release: http://www.bluehens.com/sportsinfo/football/news09-muirhire.html

HoyaMetanoia
May 11th, 2009, 12:01 PM
No offense Hen fans, but leaving Georgetown for UD is a big, big joke.

Luckily, the joke's on Bernard.

henfan
May 11th, 2009, 12:04 PM

I'll indulge you. In what regard would it be a joke?

93henfan
May 11th, 2009, 12:05 PM

Georgetown football is the real joke, no?

GannonFan
May 11th, 2009, 12:18 PM

??? Any explanation associated with that? Georgetown is better than UD in one sport, men's basketball. Certainly Georgetown has a better academic prestige than UD, but UD is a pretty respectable university in its own right, so it's not that much of a step-down, if at all, in that regard. Salary-wise, UD has always paid very well - Keeler is near or at the top when it comes to head coach football salaries in the FCS, and UD's former President, Roselle, was the top paid public school President when he left. And UD has that one, really big carrot that supposedly is what AD's are measured on - football. Seeing where UD and the CAA have been trending in recent years, that focus is just going to get bigger.

Actually, from an AD standpoint, it's hard to see this as anything but a step up for Muir.

bluehenbillk
May 11th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Wishful thinking, but maybe he can help UD's entrance to Big East Football......

andy7171
May 11th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Wishful thinking, but maybe he can help UD's entrance to Big East Football......

BillK wins the prize for the first one to mention the Big East! :p

Take away mens basketball and academics(not a shot at UD, but come on), this is a big step up.

93henfan
May 11th, 2009, 12:29 PM

Let's get the ground broken on the athletic center and new stadium first and then we can start dreaming.

HoyaMetanoia
May 11th, 2009, 01:35 PM
??? Any explanation associated with that? Georgetown is better than UD in one sport, men's basketball. Certainly Georgetown has a better academic prestige than UD, but UD is a pretty respectable university in its own right, so it's not that much of a step-down, if at all, in that regard. Salary-wise, UD has always paid very well - Keeler is near or at the top when it comes to head coach football salaries in the FCS, and UD's former President, Roselle, was the top paid public school President when he left. And UD has that one, really big carrot that supposedly is what AD's are measured on - football. Seeing where UD and the CAA have been trending in recent years, that focus is just going to get bigger.

Actually, from an AD standpoint, it's hard to see this as anything but a step up for Muir.
"Georgetown is better than UD in one sport, men's basketball."
Let's take a look at that one a little closer. Apparently you're not familiar with Georgetown's athletic programs. Basketball, no question Georgetown has the better program. Track and cross country, again, no question. Lacrosse, again, despite two down years, no question that Georgetown has the better program. Men's and Women's soccer, again, no question. Baseball might be comparable, as a lower tier Big East team vs. a middling CAA team. But overall, it's more accurate to say that Delaware is better than Georgetown in one sport: Football.

"Certainly Georgetown has a better academic prestige than UD, but UD is a pretty respectable university in its own right, so it's not that much of a step-down, if at all, in that regard".
UD is a very respectable university, and I have a number of friends associated with the school, but prestige-wise, it's not comparable to Georgetown. It's a significant step down in that regard. Muir had interviewed for jobs at Northwestern and Duke as well. Now those would be arguably lateral moves in academic prestige, but UD is definitely a step down. However, I'm not sure that academic prestige is or should be a deciding factor in an Athletic Director's decision to move.

Salary wise I assume Muir will be getting a comparable salary, so I can't argue that at all.

And as for football, I don't think anyone at Georgetown will make the argument that Georgetown football is anything less than an embarrassment to an otherwise strong athletic program. You'll never hear me argue that Georgetown is anywhere near the level of UD in football, but I can't believe that the football program is the only thing that motivated this move, because, in the grand scheme of college athletics, UD football isn't going to be a major resume booster for Muir, certainly not more than Georgetown basketball.

93henfan
May 11th, 2009, 01:49 PM
We can research and spit out all kinds of historical stats on the respective athletic programs, but what's the point? Muir considered Delaware a better opportunity than Georgetown and moved on. End of story.

Ivytalk
May 11th, 2009, 03:26 PM
I wish him well. The expectations will be high.

Go...gate
May 11th, 2009, 03:32 PM

Why not? UD would be a good fit there, and some old UD opponents, such as Rutgers, are already there. Bet it would not hurt the financial advancement of the institution, either. It would be intriguing to see UD play UConn, Rutgers, Pitt, Syracuse, no?

GannonFan
May 11th, 2009, 03:39 PM
You'll never hear me argue that Georgetown is anywhere near the level of UD in football, but I can't believe that the football program is the only thing that motivated this move, because, in the grand scheme of college athletics, UD football isn't going to be a major resume booster for Muir, certainly not more than Georgetown basketball.

Come on, you're embarassing yourself. Muir's never going to be the AD at a big BCS school without some credibility in the football department. You can talk soccer all you want, but this move has football written all over it because the two sports that drive the mealwagon at BCS schools are men's basketball and football (at some maybe women's b-ball) and he's leaving the place with the far better basketball (men's that is, UD is better in women's b-ball, especially once DellaDonne starts playing) place to the place that has a far better football program. That should be pretty clear.

And from an AD perspective, Georgetown basketball has no more upside - he's not going to be building a new on-campus facility, G-town is already in the Big East - the only place to go would be down and a Big East breakup in a couple of years could see that turn into a reality if G-town got booted by the Big East. UD football's about to enter into a pretty sizeable expansion facility-wise and getting to add that to a resume would be far more useful.

GannonFan
May 11th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Why not? UD would be a good fit there, and some old UD opponents, such as Rutgers, are already there. Bet it would not hurt the financial advancement of the institution, either. It would be intriguing to see UD play UConn, Rutgers, Pitt, Syracuse, no?

Most, if not all UD fans, would agree with that. No sense moving up if you don't move up to a BCS league. However, that would be step 42 and we're just at step 2 maybe. For the time being, happy to be where we are.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 11th, 2009, 04:04 PM
And from an AD perspective, Georgetown basketball has no more upside - he's not going to be building a new on-campus facility, G-town is already in the Big East - the only place to go would be down and a Big East breakup in a couple of years could see that turn into a reality if G-town got booted by the Big East. UD football's about to enter into a pretty sizeable expansion facility-wise and getting to add that to a resume would be far more useful.

xeyebrowx

Very, very, very interesting.......

Fordham insists on FB scholarships, Hofstra publicly talks about the A-10, and now G'Town's AD leaves?

IMO, something is afoot. I don't know exactly what - but if a Big East breakup were in the midst of happening, wouldn't this all fit together?

Please don't get me wrong - I don't think Delaware's getting a dud of an AD. I just think the imagination that Mr. Muir is a fierce advocate of football is a tad misplaced. Delaware's AD job is a pretty good one - just not Georgetown.

I just wonder if this was driven by something else, though? If so, as people say, G'Town's loss is UD's gain.

LBPop
May 11th, 2009, 04:19 PM
the two sports that drive the mealwagon at BCS schools are men's basketball and football

In another thread I offered my take on this from a Georgetown perspective. My belief is that Hoya football was going to be Bernard Muir's "ticket" to the big time. Nobody but John Thompson, II will ever be credited with truly making Georgetown basketball a success. But if Muir could have kept that program winning and built a respectable football program, he would have been a "hot young" candidate for some big jobs.

Muir's history has football written all over it (despite the fact that he played basketball at Brown). He worked for the Big Ten (totally focused on football) and Notre Dame (see Big Ten). Of course I am only going on my impressions of him while speaking with him privately and seeing him speak in public. And he is far too classy and too smart to be critical of his employer. But I firmly believe that his move to Delaware will be exactly what he had hoped his move to Georgetown would be. I guess he just got sidetracked for about four years.

CFBfan
May 11th, 2009, 05:43 PM
I am new to the in's and out's of the PL and Georgetown, What is it that holds them back so much? How much of a disparity is there in what they allocate to football versus other PL schools? how much of the issue is coaching? seems like they have some talent.....at least enough to win more than 1 maybe 2 games a year??

HoyaMetanoia
May 11th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Come on, you're embarassing yourself. Muir's never going to be the AD at a big BCS school without some credibility in the football department. You can talk soccer all you want, but this move has football written all over it because the two sports that drive the mealwagon at BCS schools are men's basketball and football (at some maybe women's b-ball) and he's leaving the place with the far better basketball (men's that is, UD is better in women's b-ball, especially once DellaDonne starts playing) place to the place that has a far better football program. That should be pretty clear.

I was not justifying the move by soccer, but rather refuting your poorly researched point that Georgetown was only better than Delaware in one sport, when it is, in fact, the opposite.

Muir may see this as his way to move up, but I don't. I'm pretty sure being a successful AD at a Big East school with top 25 teams in basketball (possibly women's basketball if the team keeps up their success from this year), both soccers, both lacrosses, cross country and track is going to do more for your resume than a bunch of middling CAA teams and a good 1-AA football team. It's not like USC has Richmond's AD on the horn all of a sudden after this past year.

GannonFan
May 11th, 2009, 09:40 PM
It's not like USC has Richmond's AD on the horn all of a sudden after this past year.

Nor did USC have G-town's AD on speed dial either - nor did Northwestern or Duke - apparently, only a school in Newark did. xlolx

As I said, people confuse and inflate G-town's academic prestige and think that it transfers into athletics. And like I said, all the success in non-revenue sports (and you yourself were inaccurate in your analysis as well - G-town and UD are probably washes in both lacrosses, UD's a better baseball school, tennis school, and women's b-ball - but seriously, who cares?) means nada when it comes to AD's prospects - men's b-ball and football rule the roost. G-town, today, has a great b-ball program and a nothing football program, and realistically, football's never going to become something at G-town (the reasons are many, but lack of facilities - and the lack of a realistic chance of having facilities - is huge) and basketball can only go down at this point, which a Big East shakeup would represent. UD's got a middling basketball program and, considering how few FCS or even BCS schools make money on football, a pretty significant football program. From a standpoint of upside, picking UD over G-town is pretty straightforward. xpeacex

YoUDeeMan
May 11th, 2009, 09:59 PM
FWIW at least one G'town fan believes that he is making the move to be associated with a better football program...

'Muir's seemingly odd move from the Big East to the Colonial Athletic Association has been linked to a variety of factors, ranging from his relationship with Georgetown President Jack DeGoia after interviewing for the same post at both Duke and Northwestern, his tense relationship with John Thompson (II), and simply a desire to go to a school that has a better football program, which is how AD's really make their mark.'

http://www.casualhoya.com/2009/5/11/871798/athletic-director-bernard-muir-to

Can anyone explain why Muir has a sour relationship with both the G-town President and John Thompson II?

DFW HOYA
May 12th, 2009, 05:15 AM
Can anyone explain why Muir has a sour relationship with both the G-town President and John Thompson II?

I am not aware of any issues he had with the elder Thompson (He is John Thompson Jr., not II. His son is JT III). Owing to a quirk in Georgetown's reporting structure, men's basketball does not report to the athletic director to begin with.

Barker Davis of the Washington Times writes that Muir had been on the interview trail and that irritated Jack DeGioia but that's total speculation.

Also discussed: the lack of progress on football.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/may/12/hoyas-muir-set-to-be-ad-for-hens/

Fordham
May 12th, 2009, 06:04 AM
...Owing to a quirk in Georgetown's reporting structure, men's basketball does not report to the athletic director to begin with.

what's the quirk?

I always thought our quirk was the worst - an AD who does NOT report in to the President. Never heard of a layer in between the HC of the marquee program at a school and the AD, though.

DFW HOYA
May 12th, 2009, 06:42 AM
The men's basketball coach has a direct report line to the school president, not the AD.

Fordham's AD situation is not unique--until this decade, the Georgetown athletic department reported into the office of the dean of student programs.

93henfan
May 12th, 2009, 07:08 AM
More in today's Delaware Online:

One Logical Step: Div I-A Football: http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20090512/SPORTS07/905120308/One+logical+step++Div.+I-A+football

"I can't give that assessment, this being Day 1," Muir said about I-A football. "But I certainly know, boy, 22,000 [fans] strong on Saturday afternoons, that's such a great forum from which to build from.

"The focus right now is let's improve what we have, let's keep our focus on the task at hand, and if other opportunities present themselves, we'll be in a position to make decisions."

Coaches Already Give Muir Solid Approval Rating: http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20090512/SPORTS07/905120318/Coaches+already+give+Muir+solid+approval+rating

"It tells you that there are some things going on that are really exciting because for him to leave a Big East situation to come here, I think he saw that," Delaware football coach K.C. Keeler said. "He was not going to come unless this was an amazing opportunity."

bluehenbillk
May 12th, 2009, 07:15 AM
Per this morning's article in the News Journal, I concur, move it on up - The Big East or bust!!!!

93henfan
May 12th, 2009, 07:23 AM
Per this morning's article in the News Journal, I concur, move it on up - The Big East or bust!!!!

Beating up on UConn again would be fun. They think they've gotten away from us. :D

89Hen
May 12th, 2009, 08:55 AM
??? Any explanation associated with that? Georgetown is better than UD in one sport, men's basketball. Certainly
FWIW the Hoyas have regularly been spanking the Blue Hens men's lacrosse team. :(

89Hen
May 12th, 2009, 08:59 AM
UD football isn't going to be a major resume booster for Muir, certainly not more than Georgetown basketball.
I agree with everything you said except this. G'town basketball has always been good and Muir couldn't really do much to improve on that. They're never going to build an on campus arena so it is what it is. Delaware is talking about a new 30,000 seat stadium and lots of other amenities. Being an AD and overseeing that kind of expansion has lots of cache IMO.

89Hen
May 12th, 2009, 09:00 AM
xlolx Should have just read through your posts to know you'd say the exact same thing. xthumbsupx

danefan
May 12th, 2009, 09:06 AM
I agree with everything you said except this. G'town basketball has always been good and Muir couldn't really do much to improve on that. They're never going to build an on campus arena so it is what it is. Delaware is talking about a new 30,000 seat stadium and lots of other amenities. Being an AD and overseeing that kind of expansion has lots of cache IMO.

xlolx Should have just read through your posts to know you'd say the exact same thing. xthumbsupx

Not to mention that is sounds like Muir didn't ever preside over the G'Town basketball program. So he was essentially running a mid-major athletic program (albeit in the Big East) and was not gaining any major football or basketball experience, both of which are prerequisites to moving up.

So now he can build the Delaware basketball program into something respectable and either maintain a successful FCS football program or build it up to an FBS team. If he is successful at UD, he will write his ticket to any school in the country, IMO.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 12th, 2009, 09:07 AM

No offense, but what in Muir's resume makes you believe this will now go well? Muir got a half a football stadium done on Georgetown's campus and then it went nowhere.

89Hen
May 12th, 2009, 09:14 AM
No offense, but what in Muir's resume makes you believe this will now go well? Muir got a half a football stadium done on Georgetown's campus and then it went nowhere.
None taken, but I think you read my comment backwards. I'm not counting on Muir's resume to help get a new stadium at UD. That would happen with or without him. I'm saying the new stadium will help Muir's resume. xpeacex

DFW HOYA
May 12th, 2009, 09:27 AM

What exists of the MSF was all done on his predecessor's watch; he added lights this spring following an alumni gift.

The same temporary seats for the Sept. 19, 2005 game with Brown are still there.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 12th, 2009, 09:27 AM
None taken, but I think you read my comment backwards. I'm not counting on Muir's resume to help get a new stadium at UD. That would happen with or without him. I'm saying the new stadium will help Muir's resume. xpeacex

Fair point. I'd probably go a step father and say he NEEDS a successful stadium expansion (and probably success on the field, too) in order to be seen as a success at UD, but we essentially are on the same page it seems.

This does, however, seem more like a gain of basketball-related synergy from the UD side rather than added value on the football side.

93henfan
May 12th, 2009, 09:41 AM
This does, however, seem more like a gain of basketball-related synergy from the UD side rather than added value on the football side.

You have read about our current AD, no? Hiring Bud Selig might have added synergy to UD football at this point. Muir is a serious upgrade.

bluehenbillk
May 12th, 2009, 09:56 AM
You have read about our current AD, no? Hiring Bud Selig might have added synergy to UD football at this point. Muir is a serious upgrade.

Dead on, Edgar was no help whatsoever, home games in Richmond? Ugh

93henfan
May 12th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Here's the video of Bernard Muir's press conference yesterday: http://www.bluehens.com/sportsinfo/news/BernardMuir3done.mp4

I'm surpised that Joe Biden hasn't yet gone on record as describing him as an articulate, bright, clean, nice-looking guy. :D

89Hen
May 12th, 2009, 01:05 PM
an articulate, bright, clean, nice-looking guy. :D
He is surprisingly articulate, bright, clean and nice-looking considering, you know.....

he's from Gator country. xoopsx :p

GannonFan
May 12th, 2009, 01:53 PM

Dead on, Edgar was no help whatsoever, home games in Richmond? Ugh

Seriously, anyone who can't see this as a tremendous upgrade from Edgar, from any angle, is just typing with blinders. xthumbsupx

LBPop
May 12th, 2009, 02:22 PM
What exists of the MSF was all done on his predecessor's watch; he added lights this spring following an alumni gift.
The same temporary seats for the Sept. 19, 2005 game with Brown are still there.

I will never know as much about Georgetown as DFW, but I have stated elsewhere that I think Muir was terribly frustrated at Georgetown. I think every former football player and the parents of those players can relate. When we arrived at Georgetown we were all told about the great things that were going to happen. By the third year we all knew there was little if any chance for almost any of it. My guess is that Muir had the same experience.

I am reminded of the scoreboard that totally failed to operate during the last game of 2006 (I think it was 2006). Muir was embarrassed (as he often appeared to be with the football program) and I am told that he promised the team that they would have a new scoreboard by the following season. But there stands today the same scoreboard that many high schools would reject.

Maybe Muir was the wrong person for the job, but I suspect he was in a no-win situation with the football program. And in retrospect one of his first hires was a new football coach who by all accounts appears to be unable to make any progress--some might say that the program is regressing. Well, Georgetown will have another chance to get it right and nobody will be happier than LBKid and his former teammates who like good parents want their successors to have a better experience than they had.

henfan
May 12th, 2009, 09:11 PM
I am reminded of the scoreboard that totally failed to operate during the last game of 2006 (I think it was 2006). Muir was embarrassed (as he often appeared to be with the football program) and I am told that he promised the team that they would have a new scoreboard by the following season.

Are you sure Edgar Johnson wasn't in charge of things at GU? UD had the same problem with the scoreboards at both their FB stadium (on Homecoming, nonetheless) and basketball arena a few years back.xsmhx

Syntax Error
May 12th, 2009, 09:13 PM
interesting...

Tribefan
May 20th, 2009, 09:42 PM
http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20090512/SPORTS07/905120308/1002/SPORTS

Apologies if this article was already posted.

I-AA Fan
May 21st, 2009, 04:36 PM
...That doesn't happen without I-A football, which drives every successful athletic program. ...

Clearly this person, who wrote the article, has no clue. Unless UD plans on an enormous increase in the basketball budget ...because that is what drives the vast majority of mid-to-small DI programs. Ever hear of Villanova? Most of America does not even know they have a football team. How many of you reading this today know that Butler has a football team? How many of you know they have a good basketball team? What makes team like UD, and also Montana, good DI candidates is their exclusivity. The last time I checked, UCAD does not have a football team & DSU will always be a BCCA (I guess it is HBCU now).

However, being the major football power in a state where the largest city in state where the largest city has less than 75k in population ...and it is not Newark. My daughter attends a school with average per-game football attendance higher than that. Is the support there for the Hens? I doubt it. However, if other cities are close to Newark though ...it is a possibility.

Hoyadestroya85
May 21st, 2009, 06:35 PM
Unless they get offered a spot by the Big East, I would absolutely stand pat and stay in the CAA

93henfan
May 21st, 2009, 06:39 PM
Unless they get offered a spot by the Big East, I would absolutely stand pat and stay in the CAA

That's the majority view in Henville. Unless you have a chance at the ultimate prize, a championship, why move anywhere?

93henfan
May 21st, 2009, 06:53 PM
However, being the major football power in a state where the largest city in state where the largest city has less than 75k in population ...and it is not Newark. My daughter attends a school with average per-game football attendance higher than that. Is the support there for the Hens? I doubt it. However, if other cities are close to Newark though ...it is a possibility.

I wouldn't focus on the population of Wilmington, DE. New Castle County, DE, where Newark is located, has just over half a million people, and the state of Delaware, with its low taxes and cheap real estate, is rapidly approaching 1 million people, all less than 100 miles away. There is no real competition for fanship within the state. Nearby alumni base is very strong. Alumni within a 3-hour drive:

Delaware - 38,746
Pennsylvania - 20,695
New Jersey - 16,533
Maryland - 11,621

To think Delaware couldn't support I-A football if the right opportunity presented itself is foolish. Our program is primed for growth. It's just been waiting for the right leadership, and we're keeping our fingers crossed that they have recently been put in place.

Hoyadestroya85
May 21st, 2009, 08:43 PM
I agree.. Delaware absolutely has all the right factors in place. UD Blue Hens Football is the Delaware's "Pro" team.. There is no reason that they couldn't draw 30,000-40,000 in a Big East type schedule. It would draw the casual fan to the games to see teams like Pitt, WVU and Rutgers in person.

I-AA Fan
May 22nd, 2009, 09:49 AM
I agree.. Delaware absolutely has all the right factors in place. UD Blue Hens Football is the Delaware's "Pro" team.. There is no reason that they couldn't draw 30,000-40,000 in a Big East type schedule. It would draw the casual fan to the games to see teams like Pitt, WVU and Rutgers in person.

Problem. UD will never see an invite to the Big East without substantial IA experience. Lot's of schools ahead of you in the line. It is not like you are UConn, which has the power of the best woman's basketball team in modern history and a very good mens basketball program as well. The Big East laughed at Marshall, a team that dominated I-AA, followed by the MAC for 5-years in football. What does UD have to offer by comparison? You are the same people that poke fun at other teams for joining the MAC, or the Sun Belt. Point that same finger at yourself. You are good now, or start marketing the MAC.

93henfan
May 22nd, 2009, 09:51 AM
Problem. UD will never see an invite to the Big East without substantial IA experience. Lot's of schools ahead of you in the line. It is not like you are UConn, which has the power of the best woman's basketball team in modern history and a very good mens basketball program as well. The Big East laughed at Marshall, a team that dominated I-AA, followed by the MAC for 5-years in football. What does UD have to offer by comparison? You are the same people that poke fun at other teams for joining the MAC, or the Sun Belt. Point that same finger at yourself. You are good now, or start marketing the MAC.

Wow, you come with a lot of baggage. Can I get you a SkyCap?

I-AA Fan
May 22nd, 2009, 10:12 AM
Wow, you come with a lot of baggage. Can I get you a SkyCap?

Sorry to be so direct, but UConn was in the same conference as UD, so I thought they made a good example. So thanks for the offer, but these are not my bags ...I am well-grounded. I am just unloading them for Muir xpeacex

I-AA Fan
May 22nd, 2009, 10:20 AM
Would it make sense to keep the A-10 name and consider a conference move up? I think that came up here once during the merge.

henfan
May 22nd, 2009, 12:06 PM
Would it make sense to keep the A-10 name and consider a conference move up? I think that came up here once during the merge.

What A-10 name? The A-10 Football League has been defunct for over a year and a half.

What merge? The CAA assumed control of FB operations from the A-10.

The CAA has acknowledged having had discussions about reclassifying as an FCS league (as has the Big Sky) but only conceptual discussions. There's little sign of that happening.