PDA

View Full Version : Preseason College Football Magazines Coming Soon

smallcollegefbfan
May 9th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Athlon has released 20-25 of it's preseason top 25 already online and it must mean the time is getting close. You can usually find Athlon late in May at some newsstands.

Athlon does not do FCS coverage anymore, unless they have changed this year, but Phil Steele and Street & Smith/Sporting News are the only two you can buy in newsstands that have FCS coverage, that I know of.

Anyone know of any others that cover FCS that can be bought in newsstands or the exact release date on some of these?

RichH2
May 9th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Athlon does cover us in the Eastern edition

mtgrizfan4life
May 9th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Speaking of preseason publications, does anyone get the one dedicated to FCS football? I never have, but would like to do so, how is the publication? What is the link or phone number to order?

smallcollegefbfan
May 9th, 2009, 07:45 PM
Speaking of preseason publications, does anyone get the one dedicated to FCS football? I never have, but would like to do so, how is the publication? What is the link or phone number to order?

Which one? Phil Steele's FCS edition?

dgreco
May 9th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Doesn't Ralph work to put one out? I do not remember it last year, but I do remember it from the year before.

smallcollegefbfan
May 9th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Doesn't Ralph work to put one out? I do not remember it last year, but I do remember it from the year before.

Ralph had one and I think it was a PDF last year. The only reason I did not mention theirs is because it usually comes out in August online now and the ones I mentioned come out in May and June and are in newsstands. I know Phil Steele has begun FCS research already and will have a very nice FCS preview with all-league teams, all-america teams, top 25, team by team previews and league previews. Of course, CSN has the most FCS information but they only do FCS and Phil Steele does all divisions. I would guess they will have over 50 pages easily. CSN usually has over 100. Maybe Ralph can tell us if they will put a print edition out this year and if it will be in newsstands or only ordered off CSN?

Hood
May 10th, 2009, 10:59 PM
After a few years I was only buying the Athlon college annual for the schedules. Last year even some of that and the previous year records were wrong.

Might not waste my money this year.

TexasTerror
May 11th, 2009, 08:04 AM
CSN is putting together their annual magazine. I've been contacted about and while I am not sure in what means it will be coming out, they have pushed up the deadlines for article submissions, which should mean that it will out in some form earlier than it was last year.

bluehenbillk
May 11th, 2009, 09:21 AM
they have pushed up the deadlines for article submissions, which should mean that it will out in some form earlier than it was last year.

That's great news. It's always been a solid publication but getting it out in July or by mid-August will make it relevant. Nobody reads pre-season pubs after Labor Day except as a reference tool.

Neighbor2
May 11th, 2009, 09:57 AM
I used to enjoy Street & Smith much better when they projected a W or L for each game on everyone's schedule. That was fun. Can't imagine why they stopped that. Anyone in the newsroom could handle that without much extra expense.

As for score predicting, Dunkel Index is just about the best, but they have had problems since the originator passed on. Hope they're still active in 2009.

Roll 'Tide!

jmufan999
May 11th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Athlon has released 20-25 of it's preseason top 25 already online and it must mean the time is getting close. You can usually find Athlon late in May at some newsstands.

Athlon does not do FCS coverage anymore, unless they have changed this year, but Phil Steele and Street & Smith/Sporting News are the only two you can buy in newsstands that have FCS coverage, that I know of.

Anyone know of any others that cover FCS that can be bought in newsstands or the exact release date on some of these?

phil steele is good. people (many of them on AGS) were giving him crap by him putting JMU preseason #1 last year when 80% of other publications had app state #1. we won the head-to-head matchup and made it further in the playoffs (also beat the team they lost to). now for god's sakes, don't get all pissy at that. i'm just making a point. the point is, Steele is good.

smallcollegefbfan
May 11th, 2009, 10:32 AM
phil steele is good. people (many of them on AGS) were giving him crap by him putting JMU preseason #1 last year when 80% of other publications had app state #1. we won the head-to-head matchup and made it further in the playoffs (also beat the team they lost to). now for god's sakes, don't get all pissy at that. i'm just making a point. the point is, Steele is good.

I didn't disagree with them putting JMU at #1. Phil Steele was right and 80 percent of the people out there were wrong. I ranked ASU #1 in my vote for TSN but you could certainly make the argument that JMU was better. It will be interesting to see who they rank #1 this year.