PDA

View Full Version : 50 States, 50 Rivalries

appsfan
May 9th, 2009, 01:12 PM
In the latest issue of The Sporting News, there was a layout on this. The following were the top state rivalries (according to TSN) that were FCS:
Delaware- Delaware and Delaware State
Louisiana- Grambling State and Southern
Montana- Montana and Montana State.
North Dakota- North Dakota and North Dakota State.Other states top rivalry were in other sports or that other level of football.

This makes me ask the question, what is your state's top FCS versus FCS rivalry?

aust42
May 9th, 2009, 01:19 PM
I'd hardly consider Delaware- Delaware State a rivalry considering we have never played them in football during the regular season and no other sport plays them on an annual basis. It should have been an annual football rivalry IMO.

Skjellyfetti
May 9th, 2009, 01:22 PM
I'd hardly consider Delaware- Delaware State a rivalry considering we have never played them in football during the regular season and no other sport plays them on an annual basis. It should have been an annual football rivalry IMO.

What in-state rivalry would you have picked for Delaware?

I agree with your point that they never play each other... but, it's still gotta be the best (and only) option.

Gil Dobie
May 9th, 2009, 01:27 PM
In the latest issue of The Sporting News, there was a layout on this. The following were the top state rivalries (according to TSN) that were FCS:
Delaware- Delaware and Delaware State
Louisiana- Grambling State and Southern
Montana- Montana and Montana State.
North Dakota- North Dakota and North Dakota State.Other states top rivalry were in other sports or that other level of football.

This makes me ask the question, what is your state's top FCS versus FCS rivalry?

It will be a short time before the North Dakota schools resume their games.

Redwyn
May 9th, 2009, 01:40 PM
I think New York's rivalry is Hofstra vs. Stony Brook by the single merit that Fordham, Marist, and Albany haven't found natural rivals yet....Maybe if RPI goes up there can be a battle for the Capital City?

TribeNomad
May 9th, 2009, 01:45 PM
In Virginia---WM & UR have been at it for over 100 years.

Franks Tanks
May 9th, 2009, 01:53 PM
I think New York's rivalry is Hofstra vs. Stony Brook by the single merit that Fordham, Marist, and Albany haven't found natural rivals yet....Maybe if RPI goes up there can be a battle for the Capital City?

Cornell- Colgate is the best FCS rivalry in NY

Redwyn
May 9th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Cornell- Colgate is the best FCS rivalry in NY

YES. Completely forgot about the Finger Lakes rivalry. I was at one of the Colgate vs. Cornell Ice Hockey games. Cornell fans threw tubes of toothpaste onto the ice when they won. Gooddd timesss

mcveyrl
May 9th, 2009, 02:07 PM
In Virginia---WM & UR have been at it for over 100 years.

I'm guessing the Sporting News put UVa-Va. Tech as the top, but it should've been this.

HoyaMetanoia
May 9th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Georgetown and Howard Vs. Mediocrity

dgreco
May 9th, 2009, 02:47 PM
the obvious Brown vs. URI matchup. Hopefully Bryant makes it one day.

Jackman
May 9th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Massachusetts has 6 Division I athletic programs, but they're in 6 different conferences and generally seem to avoid playing each other (except in hockey). I guess UMass-Northeastern is the best football rivalry by default, since they're the only two that play each other regularly, but UMass fans don't really get excited about playing Northeastern, and as far as I can tell Northeastern doesn't get excited about anything. They might not be aware that they still play football. If the Patriot League adds scholarships, UMass-Holy Cross might become the best rivalry. They already seem to be more into the games than Northeastern. But they might prefer playing Harvard.

UNHWildCats
May 9th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Massachusetts has 6 Division I athletic programs, but they're in 6 different conferences and generally seem to avoid playing each other (except in hockey). I guess UMass-Northeastern is the best football rivalry by default, since they're the only two that play each other regularly, but UMass fans don't really get excited about playing Northeastern, and as far as I can tell Northeastern doesn't get excited about anything. They might not be aware that they still play football. If the Patriot League adds scholarships, UMass-Holy Cross might become the best rivalry. They already seem to be more into the games than Northeastern. But they might prefer playing Harvard.
my guess is Williams vs Amherst got the slot for Massachusetts top rivalry.

UNHWildCats
May 9th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Also trying to guess what got New Hampshire.... not seeing UNH/Dartmouth listed here I will guess it is SNHU Penmen vs St Anselm Hawks in basketball.

JayJ79
May 9th, 2009, 05:07 PM

Well, Iowa only has 1.5 FCS teams (with one being non-scholarship and all).

Actually, Drake leads the all-time series against UNI, 25-20-1. But their last win came in 1985, which was the last year the Bulldogs played scholarship football (they went d3 in 1987, and then i-aa nonscholly in '93). Of course, in the 3 meetings since then between the schools, UNI has scored 145 points to Drake's 31.

appsfan
May 9th, 2009, 09:08 PM
I'm guessing the Sporting News put UVa-Va. Tech as the top, but it should've been this.

Correct, UVa and Va Tech football.

appsfan
May 9th, 2009, 09:10 PM
my guess is Williams vs Amherst got the slot for Massachusetts top rivalry.

They listed Needham vs Wellesley high school football. (First game 1882.)

appsfan
May 9th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Also trying to guess what got New Hampshire.... not seeing UNH/Dartmouth listed here I will guess it is SNHU Penmen vs St Anselm Hawks in basketball.

Their pick was Dartmouth vs UNH hockey...

apaladin
May 9th, 2009, 09:37 PM
In South Carolina it has to be Furman and Citadel.

ngineer
May 9th, 2009, 10:10 PM
Well, no question that Lehigh-Lafayette takes the cake in Pennsylvania...nothing else even close.xnodx

BTW the 145th "Meeting" takes place on November 21 at Goodman.

Reign of Terrier
May 9th, 2009, 10:54 PM
In South Carolina it has to be Furman and Citadel.

IMO PC and Wofford, can't get much closer in a series then them

GOKATS
May 9th, 2009, 11:14 PM
Cat/griz in Bozeman Nov. 21st!! Nothing better anywhere.xnodxxthumbsupx

UNHWildCats
May 9th, 2009, 11:17 PM
Cat/griz in Bozeman Nov. 21st!! Nothing better anywhere.xnodxxthumbsupx
they can start a prison game soon too right? xcoolx

thefortyniner
May 9th, 2009, 11:39 PM
I would say App/Western is the only notable FCS rivalry here. If you leave the gridiron though you'll find some pretty heated rivalries between Charlotte and App and especially Charlotte and the-school-that-shall-not-be-named (hint: my signature).

ElSissy
May 10th, 2009, 12:17 AM
IMO PC and Wofford, can't get much closer in a series then them

Yes, but do you really HATE PC the way we hate Vermin?

TheValleyRaider
May 10th, 2009, 12:52 AM

I think Fordham-Columbia (the Liberty Cup) is a pretty solid rivalry

As for RPI, they have a great rivalry with Union for the Dutchman's Shoes in D-III. Wouldn't mind seeing that matchup in the PL (pipedreams indeed....). D-III probably gives us the best rivalry in NYS, the Cortica Jug, between Ithaca College and SUNY-Cortland

YES. Completely forgot about the Finger Lakes rivalry. I was at one of the Colgate vs. Cornell Ice Hockey games. Cornell fans threw tubes of toothpaste onto the ice when they won. Gooddd timesss

The Football matchup is a pretty solid rivalry. The Hockey one is less so, mostly because Cornell does not see us as their primary rival (though they definitely care more about us than they're willing to admit :D)

Big Dawg
May 10th, 2009, 01:43 AM
FAMU vs. BCU...the ONLY FCS rivalry in Florida.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/media/photo/2007-11/33838136.jpg
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/media/photo/2007-11/33838177.jpg
http://cmsimg.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?NewTbl=1&Site=CD&Date=20081122&Category=FAMU03&ArtNo=811220810&Ref=PH&Item=13&Maxw=542&Maxh=352&q=60

seenalot
May 10th, 2009, 05:53 AM
Lafayette/Lehigh in PA hands down.

And the Sporting News missed the boat in Vermont - its Norwich/Middlebury hockey, and while the two HS programs they cite have a great long term rivalry, its not even close.

blueballs
May 10th, 2009, 07:03 AM
FAMU vs. BCU...the ONLY FCS rivalry in Florida.

Absolutely correct!!!

A great weekend and quite a spectacle... it also usually includes a high scoring game too.

In my home state of Georgia there is no FCS rival for GSU. Perhaps one day SSU or GaST can get their program to a level to challenge GSU on a consistent basis, but that will be a long time coming.

Reign of Terrier
May 10th, 2009, 07:50 AM
Yes, but do you really HATE PC the way we hate Vermin?

good point but no one seems to consider us a rival besides PC

dgreco
May 10th, 2009, 07:58 AM
is there a link to this? I can't find it.

UNHWildCats
May 10th, 2009, 08:49 AM
I would say App/Western is the only notable FCS rivalry here. If you leave the gridiron though you'll find some pretty heated rivalries between Charlotte and App and especially Charlotte and the-school-that-shall-not-be-named (hint: my signature).
Duke/UNC basketball I would assume took the title in NC

UNHWildCats
May 10th, 2009, 08:51 AM
is there a link to this? I can't find it.
i think they just have it in the priut magazine... i googled the hell out of it yesterday,.... some schools have brief bits on their websites about it but never link anywhere.

slostang
May 10th, 2009, 12:28 PM
In California you have the Causeway Classic between Sac State and UC Davis and the Battle for the Golden Horseshoe between UC Davis and Cal Poly. More tradition from the first, but better games in the second.

GOKATS
May 10th, 2009, 12:28 PM
they can start a prison game soon too right? xcoolx

I'll put it politely and just say FO................

etiger
May 10th, 2009, 05:54 PM
In Maryland, it is the Battle of Baltimore - Towson Uinversity vs Morgan State.
Of course, this has been a one sided battle. Towson has won 16 out of 21 games.

dgreco
May 10th, 2009, 06:43 PM
for Maryland you would think lacrosse between JHU and somebody.

Husky Alum
May 10th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Now that Don Brown has left UMass, for Maryland, the bloom is off whatever rivalry NU had with UMass.

It was more of a hatred akin to that of a scorn lover.

UMass-Holy Cross and NU-Harvard could be god rivalry games, but they're just not played enough.

NU and Holy Cross have played once since 1989 (although we will play again this year), and NU and Harvard played 4 times since 1987 (there was a 4 game series in the late 90s early 00s). However Harvard did not renew that contract. I've said it before and I'll say it again - we've told Harvard we'll play them whenever they want at their place, as long as they want - with one proviso - if we ever get a new facility, they'll be the opponent for the grand opener.

NU hasn't won at UMass since JFK was President, and for those of us who follow NU football, it's somewhat of a "rivalry".

Our biggest rivalry at NU appears to be that of the administration/student apathy vs. the small cadre of football followers.

In "other" sports - in Hockey, it's probably BU-BC, or generally the Beanpot Schools against each oter.

In hoops, probably BC-UMass.

In crew, it's NU-Harvard.

In baseball, a strecth (since no one really cares) - NU-BC.

Ivytalk
May 10th, 2009, 06:55 PM
NU and Holy Cross have played once since 1989 (although we will play again this year), and NU and Harvard played 4 times since 1987 (there was a 4 game series in the late 90s early 00s). However Harvard did not renew that contract. I've said it before and I'll say it again - we've told Harvard we'll play them whenever they want at their place, as long as they want - with one proviso - if we ever get a new facility, they'll be the opponent for the grand opener.

Sounds fair to me!:D

Cobblestone
May 10th, 2009, 08:48 PM
the obvious Brown vs. URI matchup. Hopefully Bryant makes it one day.

I'm hoping we'll all be scheduled to play each other next season and every season thereafter.

cowbellnation
May 10th, 2009, 09:19 PM
I would put SDSU-USD on the same level as NDSU-UND. Can anyone on this board say that they throw the dead frozen version of their rivals on the field/court. There's nothing like seeing a frozen yote thrown out on the field.

dgreco
May 10th, 2009, 09:20 PM
I'm hoping we'll all be scheduled to play each other next season and every season thereafter.

URI seems reluctant to schedule Bryant in almost all sports. I think they may not schedule Bryant in Football and Basketball for quite some time. I just hope we schedule Brown and Providence in the rest of the sports we both sponsor (lacrosse and some women's sports are the only ones they didn't all play)

EKU05
May 10th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Traditionally in Kentucky it's certainly EKU vs. WKU's "Battle of the Bluegrass." However, with Western now in FBS that leaves only one in-state FCS match-up that is played on an anual basis...that being EKU vs. Murray State. That series is the longest running contiuously played series by any two college football teams in Kentucky (at any level). That was already the case even before the Eastern/Western series went on indefinie hiatus.

JetsLuvver
May 10th, 2009, 11:42 PM
Jacksonville, the other FCS school in my current home state of Florida, is pretty much left without a natural rival unless the other FL-based Atlantic Sun schools decide to start programs, or JU someday moves up to FBS, both of which seem unlikely.

The closest my native Connecticut had to an FCS rivalry was Yale-UConn, but the series was dominated by the Huskies in the later years, and Yale refused to play at Storrs, so it never had a true rivalry "feel".

Even though Sacred Heart and CCSU play each other every year, I'm not sure if this is regarded as a rivalry by either school.

Yale probably would consider it a "downgrade" to play either CCSU or SHU, so there's little or no chance for a rivalry to develop between them.

WileECoyote06
May 11th, 2009, 05:37 AM

I think you may have missed a heated rivalry between two schools from Durham and Greensboro. xsmiley_wix

More meetings (80 compared to 72), closer overall in wins (53-18-1 for ASU vs WCU; 45-30-5 for this one); more fighting between players and/or fans; frequent coach swapping; and the results of the current game being closely aligned to a coach's job status. xreadx

bluehenbillk
May 11th, 2009, 06:51 AM
DelState?? They still have a team?

andy7171
May 11th, 2009, 07:01 AM
In Maryland, it is the Battle of Baltimore - Towson Uinversity vs Morgan State.
Of course, this has been a one sided battle. Towson has won 16 out of 21 games.
ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
I wish we'd branch out and play another team for this game. It's tired and stale. And while we usually always get the W, we rarely win the game outright. We always seem to not lose. We should run them into the ground like in 1993 every year.

Good to see you posting Ed!

for Maryland you would think lacrosse between JHU and somebody.

For LAX, it would be Maryland v. Hopkins. And I'd root for the stadium to collapse. :o

whoanellie
May 11th, 2009, 07:06 AM
What in-state rivalry would you have picked for Delaware?

I agree with your point that they never play each other... but, it's still gotta be the best (and only) option.

Seaford vs Laurel, Dover vs Caesar Rodney St Marks vs Sallies

Cobblestone
May 11th, 2009, 07:36 AM
URI seems reluctant to schedule Bryant in almost all sports. I think they may not schedule Bryant in Football and Basketball for quite some time. I just hope we schedule Brown and Providence in the rest of the sports we both sponsor (lacrosse and some women's sports are the only ones they didn't all play)

We did schedule you guys in football in 2002 (URI 28 - Bryant 0). I'm not saying I have any pull with my A.D. but I do converse with him whenever I see him. I'll be glad to put a bug in his ear for a return football game. As for basketball, we played RIC last season at the RC, so I don't see why we couldn't schedule you guys for a basketball game next season. The other sports I just don't care about.