PDA

View Full Version : Who is the favorite for the Buchanan???

Redbird Fan 21
November 30th, 2005, 08:58 PM
n/m

Cap'n Cat
November 30th, 2005, 09:00 PM
n/m

Boomer Grigglesbee, ILSU.

:eyebrow:

Cal Poly Mustang
November 30th, 2005, 10:48 PM
Gocong :nod:

-- Go Mustangs!

Mr. C
November 30th, 2005, 10:55 PM
Chris Gocong is pretty much a shoe-in. The voting should not be close. The biggest news here will be who is No. 2 in the voting. Gocong is probably the most obvious Buchanan Award winner since Dexter Coakley won back-to-back awards.

Mustang OL
November 30th, 2005, 11:18 PM
Chris Gocong is pretty much a shoe-in. The voting should not be close. The biggest news here will be who is No. 2 in the voting. Gocong is probably the most obvious Buchanan Award winner since Dexter Coakley won back-to-back awards.

Agree. I don't see how doesn't win after last years voting results (second to teamate Jordan Beck), Cal Poly's performance this year and his personal performance this year.

slostang
December 1st, 2005, 12:43 AM
What is awesome about Chris Gocong is after coming in second in last years Buchanan award with 17.5 sacks is that defenses game planned for him this season. He was usually double and sometimes tripple teamed this year and he still gets 19 sacks. 22 if you count last week playoff win against Montana. He has a motor that does not stop. I have seen him just miss a sack and then run 25 yards down field a catch a reciever who caught a dump off pass. Awesome.

grizband
December 1st, 2005, 01:05 AM
When UM beat Cal Poly in their first meeting this year, I think a large part of the victory was helped by the fact that Gocong did not have much of an impact. He was held without a sack, and only a few tackles. The second time we played, I got to see why this kid is so highly touted. He is a stud.

AppGuy04
December 1st, 2005, 08:03 AM
I think Hawkins, Murrell and Nkang will be the battle for 2nd, Nkang gets hurt by how bad his team is

fuEMO
December 1st, 2005, 08:18 AM
Too bad Freeman went through a position change in the third game of the season. I still think he will be the highest draft pick of the 1AA linebackers.

Andrew Jones development also took away from Freeman. AJ has a nose for the football, the likes I have never seen. Expect to see AJ quickly rise on the list next season as a junior.

AppGuy04
December 1st, 2005, 08:20 AM
Too bad Freeman went through a position change in the third game of the season. I still think he will be the highest draft pick of the 1AA linebackers.

Andrew Jones development also took away from Freeman. AJ has a nose for the football, the likes I have never seen. Expect to see AJ quickly rise on the list next season as a junior.

I think Freeman would trade the Buchanan for a NC

REALBird
December 1st, 2005, 10:06 AM
Screw it....I'll be a homer here and say Siskowic with Hawkins finishing a close second.

Hey if your own fans don't believe, why should the voters?

DinoDex200
December 1st, 2005, 10:21 AM
Gocong :nod:

-- Go Mustangs!

Have to agree, being last year's runner-up, and putting up freakish numbers again, will get him the award. I just hope Murrell can get in the Top 3, and set himself up for a run at it next year.

In all honesty, as an App fan, I am disappointed that Corey Lynch didn't make a stronger push. Only a RSoph, but he had 5 INT's through the first 3-4 games, and didn't grab one for the rest of the year. Still, a guy to watch for the future.

AppGuy04
December 1st, 2005, 10:31 AM
Have to agree, being last year's runner-up, and putting up freakish numbers again, will get him the award. I just hope Murrell can get in the Top 3, and set himself up for a run at it next year.

In all honesty, as an App fan, I am disappointed that Corey Lynch didn't make a stronger push. Only a RSoph, but he had 5 INT's through the first 3-4 games, and didn't grab one for the rest of the year. Still, a guy to watch for the future.

teams realized that running was the way to beat us, not through the air

plus, we played GSU, Wofford, etc in the 2nd half of the season, certainly not alot of airing it out

DinoDex200
December 1st, 2005, 11:09 AM
True. I certainly wasn't implying that Corey slacked or anything...but I was just doing the usual, nerdy, fan thing of projecting his numbers out for the whole year. Oh well, I still think we have yet to see the best from him...

Redbird Fan 21
December 1st, 2005, 11:21 AM
These are Hawkin's numbers. How do they compare to Gocong's?

He lead all of Division I-AA in tackles for loss (26.5) and forced fumbles (7), while ranking second in sacks (17).

Mustang OL
December 1st, 2005, 12:06 PM
These are Hawkin's numbers. How do they compare to Gocong's?

He lead all of Division I-AA in tackles for loss (26.5) and forced fumbles (7), while ranking second in sacks (17).

The Sports Network has stat comparisons for all Buchanon candidates:

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/buchanan_2005/index.htm

Gocong's stats through 12 games, including playoff win at Montana:

87 TT (44 solo, 43 ast), 28 TFL (177 yards), 22 sacks (163 yards), 4 pass brk up, 14 QB Hurries, 2 fumble recoveries, 4 forced fumbles

Hawkins is clearly Gocong's closet competition with regards to stats...and possibly could win the award. Nothing is guaranteed. However, Gocong finished second last year and Hawkins wan't even a finalist

Tom W
December 1st, 2005, 01:13 PM
Gocong will be a first round draft pick in April!

Mr. C
December 1st, 2005, 01:24 PM

Matt at TSN said that university officials were the ones pushing Murrell over Lynch and Jason Hunter. Hunter is the superior player to Murrell. He gets the double teams and the special blocking schemes and teams almost never run at Hunter. Murrell, while he is a great player, gets more opportunities because of Hunter. That being said, I still think Lynch had the best chance for the Buchanan. A lineman from the SoCon will have a hard time ever winning the Buchanan, because there are too many running teams. Players from out west have a chance to put up bigger sack numbers, because of the style of offenses more teams run out there (and no this isn't East Coast, or Southern bias, I am originally a West Coast guy). I would be shocked if Murrell was in the top 10. He wasn't one of the top five on my ballot and I see him play every week.

AppGuy04
December 1st, 2005, 01:26 PM
True. I certainly wasn't implying that Corey slacked or anything...but I was just doing the usual, nerdy, fan thing of projecting his numbers out for the whole year. Oh well, I still think we have yet to see the best from him...

definitely

AppGuy04
December 1st, 2005, 01:29 PM
Matt at TSN said that university officials were the ones pushing Murrell over Lynch and Jason Hunter. Hunter is the superior player to Murrell. He gets the double teams and the special blocking schemes and teams almost never run at Hunter. Murrell, while he is a great player, gets more opportunities because of Hunter. That being said, I still think Lynch had the best chance for the Buchanan. A lineman from the SoCon will have a hard time ever winning the Buchanan, because there are too many running teams. Players from out west have a chance to put up bigger sack numbers, because of the style of offenses more teams run out there (and no this isn't East Coast, or Southern bias, I am originally a West Coast guy). I would be shocked if Murrell was in the top 10. He wasn't one of the top five on my ballot and I see him play every week.

why would they not even promote Hunter, it being his senior year?

CatFan22
December 1st, 2005, 01:41 PM
I have to go with Gocong as well. He has been consistant all year long and has put up huge numbers all year. He is a dominant player for Cal Poly's D and my vote would go to no one else.

DinoDex200
December 1st, 2005, 02:41 PM
why would they not even promote Hunter, it being his senior year?

IIRC, Murrell's stats are generally better...and I am also thinking it might have to do with Hunter missing all of last season. If it really is an effort to get the Buchanan back to its original home, then maybe they just felt it would be better to get Marques' name out there early. As stated, though, with all the running our conference does, it will be hard for a DE or DB to win out of the SoCon with all the running. I would think, in App's case, a guy like Pierre Banks or Cam Speer (or the mysterious Jacque Roman) might have a better shot because you can mix up some INT's with some Fumbles, lots of tackles, etc.

REALBird
December 1st, 2005, 04:07 PM
The Sports Network has stat comparisons for all Buchanon candidates:

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/buchanan_2005/index.htm

Gocong's stats through 12 games, including playoff win at Montana:

87 TT (44 solo, 43 ast), 28 TFL (177 yards), 22 sacks (163 yards), 4 pass brk up, 14 QB Hurries, 2 fumble recoveries, 4 forced fumbles

Hawkins is clearly Gocong's closet competition with regards to stats...and possibly could win the award. Nothing is guaranteed. However, Gocong finished second last year and Hawkins wan't even a finalist

Means absolutely NOTHING IMHO. Boomer Grigsby (Illinois State) finished 2nd in the Buchanon vote his Junior year, and then finished 3nd his Senior year. What you did the previous year doesn't mean squat.

Still think Gocong has some very impressive numbers, and it's likely he might win......but I think the vote this year will be a lot closer than some believe. Last year ISU was nothing but Boomer Grigsby, having TWO candidates from the same team shows may ultimately be the thing that propels Gocong, as they will most likely cancel each other out with the voters.

Just my two cents.

Mustang OL
December 1st, 2005, 04:32 PM
Means absolutely NOTHING IMHO. Boomer Grigsby (Illinois State) finished 2nd in the Buchanon vote his Junior year, and then finished 3nd his Senior year. What you did the previous year doesn't mean squat.

Still think Gocong has some very impressive numbers, and it's likely he might win......but I think the vote this year will be a lot closer than some believe. Last year ISU was nothing but Boomer Grigsby, having TWO candidates from the same team shows may ultimately be the thing that propels Gocong, as they will most likely cancel each other out with the voters.

Just my two cents.

Votes didn't cancel out last year, when Jordan Beck won the award and fellow teammate Gocong finished second. I think Gocong will have more recognition with the voters than someone who wasn't a finalist last year. However, I am not discounting Hawkins achievements. His stats are unbelievable. He will be Gocong's stiffest competition.

2004 Buck Buchanan Award
Name School 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th Total
Jordan Beck Cal Poly 35 12 6 5 6 257
Chris Gocong Cal Poly 14 15 13 4 6 183
Boomer Grigsby Illinois State 15 7 9 7 6 152
Jamall Johnson Northwestern State 4 14 12 4 7 127
Kevin Talley Norfolk State 7 5 6 9 3 94
Shannon James Massachusetts 4 3 5 11 1 70
Justin Durant Hampton 1 7 7 6 4 70
Liam Ezekiel Northeastern 4 5 4 6 3 67
Charles Thompson Western Kentucky 4 3 3 6 9 62
William Freeman Furman 2 4 5 5 7 58