PDA

View Full Version : Walter Payton/Buck Buchanan Award Candidates

smallcollegefbfan
May 8th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Alright guys lets hear the names worthy for the watch lists. I have a feeling there will be less players on the "snubbed" list this year but I won't say why I feel that way.

Here are some names to get it started. Remember that it's unlikely to have two players from the same side of the ball from your team on the same list. Also remember that I am putting the "best" players and most dynamic playmakers on these lists.

PAYTON
QB Armanti Edwards, App State, Sr.
QB Cameron Higgins, Weber State, Jr.
QB Dominic Randolph, Holy Cross, Sr.
QB Matt Nichols, Eastern Washington, Sr.
QB Jeremy Moses, Stephen F. Austin, Jr.
RB Will Ford, SC State, Sr.
RB Toddrick Pendland, McNeese State, Sr.
RB David McCarty, Albany, Sr.
RB David Sinisi, Monmouth, Sr.
WR Andre Roberts, The Citadel, Sr.
WR Terrell Hudgins, Elon, Sr.
WR Marc Mariani, Montana, Sr.
TE Scott Sicko, New Hampshire, Jr.
OT James Williams, Harvard, Sr.
OG Matthew McCracken, Richmond, Sr.
RS Scotty McGee, James Madison, Sr.

BUCHANAN
DE Larry Hart, Central Arkansas, Sr.
DE James Ruffin, Northern Iowa, Sr.
DE Austen Lane, Murray State, Sr.
DE Adrian Tracy, William & Mary, Sr.
DE Tim Knicky, Stephen F. Austin, Sr.
DE Kevin Linehan, Weber State, Sr.
DE Arthur Moats, James Madison, Sr.
DE Dane Fletcher, Montana State, Sr.
LB Matt Cohen, Lehigh, Sr.
LB Nathan Totino, Duquesne, Jr.
CB Justin Rogers, Richmond, Jr.
CB Korey Lindsey, Southern Illinois, Sr.
FS Mark LeGree, App State, Jr.
FS Jeromy Miles, UMASS, Sr.
FS Terrell Whitehead, Norfolk State, Sr.
SS Tommy Connors, SE Louisiana, Sr.

Note: I did not put Jacque Roman, Scott Riddle, Chase Reynolds, RJ Toman, Josh Morris, Eric Ward, or Trevyn Smith on the list because there likely won't be two from the same team on the same award list.

GeauxLions94
May 8th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Alright guys lets hear the names worthy for the watch lists. I have a feeling there will be less players on the "snubbed" list this year but I won't say why I feel that way.

Here are some names to get it started. Remember that it's unlikely to have two players from the same side of the ball from your team on the same list. Also remember that I am putting the "best" players and most dynamic playmakers on these lists.

PAYTON

BUCHANAN
Note: I did not put Jacque Roman, Scott Riddle, Chase Reynolds, RJ Toman, Josh Morris, Eric Ward, or Trevyn Smith on the list because there likely won't be two from the same team on the same award list.

Don't know about all the other ones (I do on some), but I like the last one xthumbsupxxthumbsupxxthumbsupx

CrazyCat
May 8th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Gentlemen, Mr. Fletcher.

Uncle Rico's Clan
May 9th, 2009, 12:53 AM
And, Mr. Mariani

CrunchGriz
May 9th, 2009, 01:44 AM
And, Mr. Mariani

An even better one of Mr. Mariani -- one of the best catches I've ever seen, at any level, in the championship game.

http://crnich.dyndns.org/familyphotos/php/mariani.jpg

CrunchGriz
May 9th, 2009, 01:58 AM
Just one more of Mr. Mariani, from two years ago.

And yes, he caught this one...and somehow managed to get his feet down inside the endline for a TD.

http://crnich.dyndns.org/familyphotos/php/marc_mariani.jpg

lionsrking2
May 9th, 2009, 02:46 AM

PAYTON

BUCHANAN

Brian Babin, QB, Southeastern Louisiana, is worthy of mention...threw for 2,802 yards and 25 TDs to only 7 INTs in 2008, in only 10.5 games...has a full complement of WRs back and a much improved offensive line...poised to have a big year in 2009 if he can stay healthy.

2008 Season Highlights
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18KlTem_pDc

Babin to Theodore ('09 Spring Practice)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0_pd9NwyWM

mtgrizfan4life
May 9th, 2009, 02:52 AM
Hard to believe Mariani was a walk on.

Tribe4SF
May 9th, 2009, 07:16 AM
David Caldwell.

Tribe4SF
May 9th, 2009, 07:19 AM
Hard to believe Mariani was a walk on.

Precedent for this. 2004 winner Lang Campbell was a walk-on.

smallcollegefbfan
May 9th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Brian Babin, QB, Southeastern Louisiana, is worthy of mention...threw for 2,802 yards and 25 TDs to only 7 INTs in 2008, in only 10.5 games...has a full complement of WRs back and a much improved offensive line...poised to have a big year in 2009 if he can stay healthy.

2008 Season Highlights
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18KlTem_pDc

Babin to Theodore ('09 Spring Practice)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0_pd9NwyWM

He is a name I thought about. His 25-7 ratio is impressive and he does have a potential NFL prospect in target Chris Wilson.

The Moody1
May 9th, 2009, 04:46 PM
David Caldwell.

Is the guy he hit still alive? :D

eaglesrthe1
May 9th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Having two guys from the same side of the ball from the same team isn't a problem if they both have the merit. It happens often enough. Usually it makes it hard for either one to win it though, seeing as how there's only one ball.

smallcollegefbfan
May 9th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Having two guys from the same side of the ball from the same team isn't a problem if they both have the merit. It happens often enough. Usually it makes it hard for either one to win it though, seeing as how there's only one ball.

Yeah I have no problem recognizing that a team even has three on one side worthy but I know that TSN doesn't like to do that and thus it would have to be a special situation. I did not want to predict that because it usually only happens once a year, if that, and there are 3 or 4 scenarios where someone from the same team could be up for the same award.

Tribe4SF
May 9th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Is the guy he hit still alive? :D

Yes, he is. Took awhile to get him off the field, but he was ok.

Here's video of the hit.

http://www.tribeathletics.com/files/fb/2008/video/tu/dachit.html

ncbears
May 9th, 2009, 07:27 PM
An even better one of Mr. Mariani -- one of the best catches I've ever seen, at any level, in the championship game.

http://crnich.dyndns.org/familyphotos/php/mariani.jpg

He does have good hands. He made one against UNC a few years ago that was just plain awesome!

ngineer
May 9th, 2009, 10:06 PM

PAYTON

BUCHANAN

Cohen is a real play maker. Blitzes, intercepts, very good speed, and a hitter. He as a motor that does not stop. I expect big things from him, though I am sure most opponents will try to avoid his area and double team him, so that should open up opportunities for others.

lionsrking2
May 10th, 2009, 12:03 AM
He is a name I thought about. His 25-7 ratio is impressive and he does have a potential NFL prospect in target Chris Wilson.

Actually he has a couple of potential NFL targets...just about every NFL scout that came through this fall liked true freshman, Simmie Yarborough, who wound up catching 51 balls...he's a hard-nosed, physical inside receiver with great hands and good speed...very similar to Eric Martin who played at LSU and with the Saints in the 80's and early 90's. Plus we have several other guys who have big play ability. We have plenty of weapons at the skill positions.

lionsrking2
May 10th, 2009, 12:16 AM

Actually he has a couple of potential NFL targets...just about every NFL scout that came through this fall liked true freshman, Simmie Yarborough, who wound up catching 51 balls...he's a hard-nosed, physical inside receiver with great hands and good speed...very similar to Eric Martin who played at LSU and with the Saints in the 80's and early 90's. Plus we have several other guys who have big play ability. We have plenty of weapons at the skill positions.

#88, SIMMIE YARBOROUGH
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1PtwvwK1z4

smallcollegefbfan
May 10th, 2009, 02:41 PM

#88, SIMMIE YARBOROUGH
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1PtwvwK1z4

He certainly looks good. A lot of time between now and his draft year but if he keeps it up I agree with you that the NFL will be paying attention to him.

gophoenix
May 10th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Yeah I have no problem recognizing that a team even has three on one side worthy but I know that TSN doesn't like to do that and thus it would have to be a special situation. I did not want to predict that because it usually only happens once a year, if that, and there are 3 or 4 scenarios where someone from the same team could be up for the same award.

Which is why I think listing wide receivers for the award is silly. For a receiver to be good, the QB has to get them the ball. If the QB can get them the ball, he can get others the ball. So a QB will always have better numbers. And a RB will always get more touches than a WR (well typically).

FBs and WRs on the payton list are just a waist of time.

PaladinFan
May 10th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Which is why I think listing wide receivers for the award is silly. For a receiver to be good, the QB has to get them the ball. If the QB can get them the ball, he can get others the ball. So a QB will always have better numbers. And a RB will always get more touches than a WR (well typically).

FBs and WRs on the payton list are just a waist of time.

The J-Train is unhappy with that comment.

....It's been a few months http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zqi9JKzKWzs&feature=related

Hoyadestroya85
May 11th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Chris Whitney for Payton

Osayi Osunde for the Buchanan

gophoenix
May 11th, 2009, 01:02 PM

....It's been a few months http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zqi9JKzKWzs&feature=related

How often has a FB or WR won it?

smallcollegefbfan
May 11th, 2009, 01:56 PM
One name I completely forgot and don't know how I did is Southern QB Bryant Lee. I think he has to be on the preseason list for sure.

jmufan999
May 11th, 2009, 03:18 PM
ok, before this gets out of hand.... and believe me, i do like that you put Scotty McGee on the list.....

but you can't honestly believe all those people are contenders? it has NOTHING to do with their talent level.... it's their positions. read this next part VERY, VERY carefully:

since 1987 (first year of the award), a QB or RB has won EVERY SINGLE TIME except WR Brian Finneran in 1997.

6 out of the past 7 have been QB's.

i like when we do these lists, i really do. and it's nice that you put a JMU guy on there. sometimes i feel like on this site, though, that we're trying to be "too PC" to each other. you know damn well 3/4 of those players don't have a snowball's chance at hell. if the list was "dynamic playmakers" as was alluded in the "write-up", fine. but it says "Walter Payton Award Candidates" in the subject. bottom line: don't be afraid to piss people off on this site, because people are going to get mad no matter what you say.

that said, i like Armanti and Higgins for right now.

citdog
May 11th, 2009, 03:25 PM
congrats to Cadet Captain Andre Roberts for being listed here. Nothing to do but to WIN THE DAMN THING!

that is all

smallcollegefbfan
May 11th, 2009, 03:27 PM
ok, before this gets out of hand.... and believe me, i do like that you put Scotty McGee on the list.....

but you can't honestly believe all those people are contenders? it has NOTHING to do with their talent level.... it's their positions. read this next part VERY, VERY carefully:

since 1987 (first year of the award), a QB or RB has won EVERY SINGLE TIME except WR Brian Finneran in 1997.

6 out of the past 7 have been QB's.

i like when we do these lists, i really do. and it's nice that you put a JMU guy on there. sometimes i feel like on this site, though, that we're trying to be "too PC" to each other. you know damn well 3/4 of those players don't have a snowball's chance at hell. if the list was "dynamic playmakers" as was alluded in the "write-up", fine. but it says "Walter Payton Award Candidates" in the subject. bottom line: don't be afraid to piss people off on this site, because people are going to get mad no matter what you say.

that said, i like Armanti and Higgins for right now.

I agree with you that McGee won't be on the list but I was just naming players that are considered among the best in the nation regardless of position. We all know that two offensive linemen won't be on the list. I would be surprised if any were on the list to start the year. I don't see Sicko being on the official list either.

I just wanted to name the top names and see if anyone had someone to add.

I agree with you that AE or Higgins are the two front runners. There is no QB in the nation with the production of those two and we all know the Payton Award is about production.

I do think that we have two or three receivers worthy of being on the list but none of them will win it, unless their team is ranked highly and they have lights out numbers in the 1500-1600 yard, 20 TD range.

Funny you bring up about making people mad. There are certainly people on here with thin skin who hate certain schools and cringe any time they are mentioned.

Based on stats, past history, etc. here is my projection for who would be on the list for the Payton. The Buchanan is so up in the air this year with so few linebackers that I won't even try to project that yet.

PROJECTION PAYTON WATCH LIST
QB Sebastian Trujillo, San Diego, Sr.
QB Bryant Lee, Southern, Sr.
RB William Ford, South Carolina State, Sr.
RB Tony Nelson, UMASS, Sr.
RB Chase Reynolds, Montana, Jr.
RB James Mallory, Central Conn. State, Sr.

Here are some more names I think would be considered if the list was expanded or at least in the discussion to some degree.
QB R.J. Toman, New Hampshire, Jr.
QB Greg Denham, UC Davis, Jr.
QB Scott Riddle, Elon, Jr.
RB Trevyn Smith, Weber State, Sr.
RB Jordan Culbreath, Princeton, Sr.

Just to note that Mallory, Moses, and Nichols were the last three I put in and could easily see them switched with someone else.

technocat
May 11th, 2009, 04:08 PM
I still think Mariani would be a strong canidate because of his return skills and because they use him on reverses and quick passes to the flats where he does a lot of work on his own. I think it's completely possible that he could win the award, especially since UM doesn't have a determined starter as of now.

I-AA Fan
May 12th, 2009, 08:05 AM
I did not know Randolph had another year. He is listed as a Senior in last year's program. He graduated from St. X in 2004. Did he red shirt in 05?

Two Penguin's to look for on the Buchannan list:

1. DT Mychal Savage
2. DE Crispin Fernandez

Savage has been all-conference every season ...how could you forget about him? He was preseason 1st team all-American last year & went out with an injury. He owned Ohio State's Chris Wells the last two years ...the only bright spot in the games for YSU. I have photo's of him stopping Wells for the third time from inside the 2-yard line for the third-straight time. Wells only had 38-yards rushing against Savage last year ...a career low for Wells. Fernandez is a JUCO transfer, but he is very, very good. He is the type that will slip "under the radar", but you will know him by season-end.

breezy
May 12th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Randolph was granted a 5th year of eligibility since he was injured during his first year at Holy Cross.

smallcollegefbfan
May 12th, 2009, 11:02 AM
I did not know Randolph had another year. He is listed as a Senior in last year's program. He graduated from St. X in 2004. Did he red shirt in 05?

Two Penguin's to look for on the Buchannan list:

1. DT Mychal Savage
2. DE Crispin Fernandez

Savage has been all-conference every season ...how could you forget about him? He was preseason 1st team all-American last year & went out with an injury. He owned Ohio State's Chris Wells the last two years ...the only bright spot in the games for YSU. I have photo's of him stopping Wells for the third time from inside the 2-yard line for the third-straight time. Wells only had 38-yards rushing against Savage last year ...a career low for Wells. Fernandez is a JUCO transfer, but he is very, very good. He is the type that will slip "under the radar", but you will know him by season-end.

I thought about Savage and I'll post my actual prediction for the Buchanan and not just a list of names to consider for it. How is he in rehab? He 100% yet? That could possibly be what determines if he is on the preseason list.

catatac
May 12th, 2009, 01:46 PM
I still think Mariani would be a strong canidate because of his return skills and because they use him on reverses and quick passes to the flats where he does a lot of work on his own. I think it's completely possible that he could win the award, especially since UM doesn't have a determined starter as of now.

I agree. In fact I think that catch he made in the title game last year should put him on the lis by itself. Tough for me to admit but that was one amazing catch.

FUrams7
May 12th, 2009, 02:23 PM
John Skelton Fordham 6'5 235 solid soph year. avg junior yr. but will be tremendous this in his senior year.. i predict 32 tds 3 ints.. by the way Dom Randolph of Holy Cross is very good as well. too bad though he's only the 2nd best QB in the league.. :)

I-AA Fan
May 12th, 2009, 02:37 PM
I thought about Savage and I'll post my actual prediction for the Buchanan and not just a list of names to consider for it. How is he in rehab? He 100% yet? That could possibly be what determines if he is on the preseason list.

Very good point. I am told he is very healthy, but he did not play in the spring game. I did not see him at the spring practice I attended either. I feel that if he has a good game against Pitt this year, Savage will get some NFL looks. He is quick, has great extension, & is capable of playing at DE, which not too many 300-pounders are. However, he is probably not much below 5.0 in his times, so it will be hard to tell if he has the speed he needs for end. The average I-AA/FCS OT has no idea how to cover him. I am not going to say he is the best defensive player in the nation, but he is very good & should be preseason all-American ...maybe even first-team. I hope he lines up outside a few times this year, to help him get to the next level.

crusader11
May 12th, 2009, 10:57 PM
John Skelton Fordham 6'5 235 solid soph year. avg junior yr. but will be tremendous this in his senior year.. i predict 32 tds 3 ints.. by the way Dom Randolph of Holy Cross is very good as well. too bad though he's only the 2nd best QB in the league.. :)

Haha, thanks for the chuckle.

Yosef84
May 13th, 2009, 08:05 AM

My thoughts exactly. I know that App has had two on the Payton list at the same time: Richie Williams and DaVon Fowlkes. I believe that was 2004. Fowlkes was a finalist. I do think that it tends to hurt the candidates because support is split.

smallcollegefbfan
May 13th, 2009, 09:27 AM
My thoughts exactly. I know that App has had two on the Payton list at the same time: Richie Williams and DaVon Fowlkes. I believe that was 2004. Fowlkes was a finalist. I do think that it tends to hurt the candidates because support is split.

I think overall it doesn't hurt a ton but it still hurts. If two players are highly qualified In that case both players clearly deserved to be on it. Fowlkes still finished in the top 3 that year.

One thing to remember here is that ASU is clearly going to support the senior as they have in the past. In this case the junior is clearly the best player. For me to say a second player deserves to be on the list, even if it hurts the other one in voting, he better be a NFL prospect or a guy who puts up monster numbers. I just don't see that so it would surprise me to see him on the list of 16.

danefan
May 13th, 2009, 09:31 AM
I think overall it doesn't hurt a ton but it still hurts. If two players are highly qualified In that case both players clearly deserved to be on it. Fowlkes still finished in the top 3 that year.

One thing to remember here is that ASU is clearly going to support the senior as they have in the past. In this case the junior is clearly the best player. If Roman had a shot at playing on Sundays, then, I would say include him. I just don't see that so it would surprise me to see him on the list of 16.

Why do you think the player has to have a "shot on sundays" to be considered for these awards?

It should include the best players in FCS, regardless of whether they have the eyes of the NFL scouts. That's one great thing about the Heisman - guys like Charlie Ward still have a chance to win it.

smallcollegefbfan
May 13th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Why do you think the player has to have a "shot on sundays" to be considered for these awards?

It should include the best players in FCS, regardless of whether they have the eyes of the NFL scouts. That's one great thing about the Heisman - guys like Charlie Ward still have a chance to win it.

I meant in regards to have two players on the list. It clearly makes having two on the list look much better if they both go on to play on Sundays. It shows that they were both just too good to leave off. In this case LeGree is not only the better player but he might have a shot to play on Sundays whereas Roman is just a very good FCS player and is clearly not equal to LeGree or has the NFL potential that make him worth taking some of LeGree's votes away to get him on the list.

danefan
May 13th, 2009, 09:52 AM
I meant in regards to have two players on the list. It clearly makes having two on the list look much better if they both go on to play on Sundays. It shows that they were both just too good to leave off. In this case LeGree is not only the better player but he might have a shot to play on Sundays whereas Roman is just a very good FCS player and is clearly not equal to LeGree or has the NFL potential that make him worth taking some of LeGree's votes away to get him on the list.

So you aren't saying that a kid has to have NFL potential to be on the Payton list so long as he is one of the best in FCS?

If so, I agree with you.

smallcollegefbfan
May 13th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Here is my guess at the Buchanan preseason list. Anyone else want to take a stab at it or add some legit names to the list? Notice in this case I did put two players from the same school on this list and the reason is that both players not only had monster numbers, they have NFL potential, and they are both equally important to their team.

BUCK BUCHANAN BATTLE WATCH LIST
DE Danny Batten, South Dakota State, Sr.
LB Osayi Osunde, Villanova, Sr.
CB Josh Morris, Weber State, Sr.
S Mark LeGree, Appalachian State, Jr.
S Terrell Whitehead, Norfolk State, Sr.
S Jeromy Miles, UMASS, Sr.
S Tommy Connors, SE Louisiana, Sr.
S Carnell Clark, Jacksonville State, Sr.

smallcollegefbfan
May 13th, 2009, 10:02 AM
So you aren't saying that a kid has to have NFL potential to be on the Payton list so long as he is one of the best in FCS?

If so, I agree with you.

I am saying that if you are going two have two players from the same team up for an award. It just looks better for a player taking away votes from a teammate to have a NFL future.

I remember Louis Ivory from Furman and he was really just a tryout or free type NFL prospect but he clearly deserved the award that year or at least to be on the ballot. Several non NFL prospects have been on the lists and clearly deserved it. In the case of Albany. Say you guys had another player put up big numbers this year along with McCarty and you wanted him on the list. Him having a NFL future would really make adding him look much more legit than just putting a guy with big numbers and no NFL future by taking away votes from McCarty.

danefan
May 13th, 2009, 10:08 AM
I am saying that if you are going two have two players from the same team up for an award. It just looks better for a player taking away votes from a teammate to have a NFL future.

I remember Louis Ivory from Furman and he was really just a tryout or free type NFL prospect but he clearly deserved the award that year or at least to be on the ballot. Several non NFL prospects have been on the lists and clearly deserved it. In the case of Albany. Say you guys had another player put up big numbers this year along with McCarty and you wanted him on the list. Him having a NFL future would really make adding him look much more legit than just putting a guy with big numbers and no NFL future if you are going to take away votes from McCarty like that.

Gotcha. xthumbsupx

leatherneck177
May 13th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Patrick Stoudamire CB from WIU deserves a look for the Buchanan. He has been 1st Team All Conference the past two seasons. He has also received All-America consideration each season as well.

I-AA Fan
May 13th, 2009, 11:13 AM

I actually think it can hurt them. Let's be honest ...unless they are a IA transfer, winners of these I-AA/FCS awards are not much better than a great many of the IA players in that position. If they are transfers, I do not think they should be nominated for such awards (just a personal opinion) in the first place. So, many NFL teams will go after these winners in the draft, when a better player was available at the IA/FBS level. A non-award winner, that does not get drafted, will have a completely different attitude. Also, with Payton & Buchanan award winners not getting drafted, it hurts the reputation of the award itself, as well as the division. We just cannot use NFL potential as a measure when only a handful of I-AA/FCS players go in the draft. We are hurting ourselves.

BTW 177 ... Stoudamire is a stud.

smallcollegefbfan
May 13th, 2009, 11:46 AM
I actually think it can hurt them. Let's be honest ...unless they are a IA transfer, winners of these I-AA/FCS awards are not much better than a great many of the IA players in that position. If they are transfers, I do not think they should be nominated for such awards (just a personal opinion) in the first place. So, many NFL teams will go after these winners in the draft, when a better player was available at the IA/FBS level. A non-award winner, that does not get drafted, will have a completely different attitude. Also, with Payton & Buchanan award winners not getting drafted, it hurts the reputation of the award itself, as well as the division. We just cannot use NFL potential as a measure when only a handful of I-AA/FCS players go in the draft. We are hurting ourselves.

BTW 177 ... Stoudamire is a stud.

Stoudamire is a very good one. I thought about putting him on the Buchanan list. If there were more than 16 names I would have added him. Just for the record, I think Stoudamire will definitely get in a NFL camp but would be surprised if he got drafted. The word on the street is that his best 40 time for scouts was a 4.56 and that just won't get you drafted higher than the 6th or 7th round at 5'10 1/2 coming from a FCS school.

I-AA Fan
May 13th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Stoudamire is a very good one. I thought about putting him on the Buchanan list. If there were more than 16 names I would have added him. Just for the record, I think Stoudamire will definitely get in a NFL camp but would be surprised if he got drafted. The word on the street is that his best 40 time for scouts was a 4.56 and that just won't get you drafted higher than the 6th or 7th round at 5'10 1/2 coming from a FCS school.

I can only agree to a point, It says he ran a 4.46 at his pro-day. His total points (which is draft scout speak that I do not believe in) was 2477. They say that anything over 2500 is a definite 1-2 round in the draft. His strength are 24 of 31 solo tackles last year. His weakness is only 7 starts. I would like to know why? He played in all games but 1. Why only 7 starts?

smallcollegefbfan
May 13th, 2009, 01:01 PM
I can only agree to a point, It says he ran a 4.46 at his pro-day. His total points (which is draft scout speak that I do not believe in) was 2477. They say that anything over 2500 is a definite 1-2 round in the draft. His strength are 24 of 31 solo tackles last year. His weakness is only 7 starts. I would like to know why? He played in all games but 1. Why only 7 starts?

That 40 time by DraftScout is just their guess for now or maybe spring testing numbers by the school. They had that time up since 2008 and WIU had their pro day just a few weeks ag0. Those results are not public knowledge right now. NFL teams won't have those results until next week at spring meetings, which will take place in Florida. The only reason I know them is because I know someone who happened to be at the pro day.

Screamin_Eagle174
May 13th, 2009, 05:01 PM

I was about to say, so were those two quarters of English. xreadx

Model Citizen
May 13th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Jacksonville running back Rudell Small is going to put up scary big numbers this year.

GeauxLions94
May 13th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Here are some more names I think would be considered if the list was expanded or at least in the discussion to some degree.
QB R.J. Toman, New Hampshire, Jr.
QB Greg Denham, UC Davis, Jr.
QB Scott Riddle, Elon, Jr.
RB Trevyn Smith, Weber State, Sr.
RB Jordan Culbreath, Princeton, Sr.

Just to note that Mallory, Moses, and Nichols were the last three I put in and could easily see them switched with someone else.

SCFBFan,

Hate to throw a list at you, but what are your thoughts on QBs Brian Babin (Southeastern Louisiana), Bradley George (Texas State) and Derrick Fourroux (McNeese State), plus RB Karrington Bush (Texas State)?

smallcollegefbfan
May 14th, 2009, 12:16 PM
SCFBFan,

Hate to throw a list at you, but what are your thoughts on QBs Brian Babin (Southeastern Louisiana), Bradley George (Texas State) and Derrick Fourroux (McNeese State), plus RB Karrington Bush (Texas State)?

When I put a guess together the only reason I left out Fourroux is because I didn't want to have someone who would hurt the votes for Pendland. Karrington Bush is a heck of a player and I think he is their best offensive weapon. George flashes but is inconsistent with his accuracy. He is certainly a name that I think Mr. C, along with Bush, will have on the radar to see if one of them has the breakout year they are capable of. Babin is not bad. He had a solid year and if SLU can put up a winning record and he improves on last year's numbers I could see him being in the mix. None of them are definite preseason Payton Award guys (on a list of 16) in my mind but all of them are the types who could certainly play their way on that list. Wouldn't you agree?

Ronbo
May 14th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Wow, I'm seeing two Payton candidates and two Buchanan candidates for Weber State. I also saw a 1st team All American O-Lineman nomination for Weber in another thread. And they have a WR that should get at least honorable mention All American.

Sure glad it's a team game and all the unheralded Montana players will once again triumph in the Big Sky with team play, great depth, and outstanding work ethic. This reminds me of EWU and Cal Poly the last couple years, lot's of great players and a team that just couldn't get 'er done.

GeauxLions94
May 14th, 2009, 01:09 PM
When I put a guess together the only reason I left out Fourroux is because I didn't want to have someone who would hurt the votes for Pendland. Karrington Bush is a heck of a player and I think he is their best offensive weapon. George flashes but is inconsistent with his accuracy. He is certainly a name that I think Mr. C, along with Bush, will have on the radar to see if one of them has the breakout year they are capable of. Babin is not bad. He had a solid year and if SLU can put up a winning record and he improves on last year's numbers I could see him being in the mix. None of them are definite preseason Payton Award guys (on a list of 16) in my mind but all of them are the types who could certainly play their way on that list. Wouldn't you agree?

That's why I asked. Thanks for the response xthumbsupx

appstate38
May 14th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Man Don't you know as long as AE is in the conversation for the Payton, everybody else is playing for second place.:D

JDC325
May 14th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Nobody pre season for GSU but IF Chapple's performance against Furman is a sign of things to come he should make the first revised list.

citdog
May 15th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Nobody pre season for GSU but IF Chapple's performance against Furman is a sign of things to come he should make the first revised list.

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxloxlolx

what a homer...xnonono2xxnonox

trouthunter
May 15th, 2009, 12:30 PM
David Caldwell.

HOLY CRAP!!!! I would have my own "fathead" made of this. how long did it take for that poor ball carrier to get up?

Head Cat
May 15th, 2009, 08:06 PM
I hope we see Villanova's Tim Kukucka on the Buchanan Award watch list. He should be completely recovered from that broken bone he played with in his foot last season and should have a great year.

DE Adrian Tracy of William & Mary is another CAA player who will be in the Buchanan hunt.

If Antwon Young ever gets back into the Wildcat lineup at quarterback, he could be a dark horse candidate for the Payton watch list. I heard through the grapevine that he was being considered for the Payton watch list last season. He has had a year and a half to recover from reconstructive knee surgery and if Chris Whitney falters, or gets hurt, Young could have a fantastic year.

Of course, the Payton Award is Armanti Edwards' to lose.

JohnStOnge
May 15th, 2009, 08:34 PM
How often has a FB or WR won it?

Not often for fullbacks but Adrian Peterson was one. Yeah, I know, he was in the option. But he was still a fullback.