PDA

View Full Version : Jackson St's 3 Finalists

TexasTerror
November 30th, 2005, 07:54 PM
I think Harold Jackson would be one helluva coach. JSU alum, years of experience in the NFL and at a up and coming I-A program (Baylor)...

-------
Jackson State narrows list to 3 for football coach

STAFF AND WIRE REPORTS

Jackson State has narrowed its football coaching search down to three candidates, according to The Clarion Ledger.

Alcorn State offensive coordinator John McKenzie, Baylor wide receivers coach Harold Jackson and Tuskegee coach Rick Comegy are the finalists.

The three candidates are expected to meet with the nine-man search committee next week, with a target date of Dec. 3 for naming a new coach.

McKenzie played quarterback at Jackson State during the 1980s, serving as an assistant under the late James "Big Daddy" Carson from 1992 to 1994.

Jackson played at Jackson State and spent 20 seasons in the NFL, mostly with the Philadelphia Eagles.

Comegy coached Tuskegee to the black college national title last season.

The Tigers (2-9) went through their worst three-year stretch under James Bell, losing 23 of 31 games. He was fired last month, and Daryl Jones served as interim coach.

txstatebobcat
November 30th, 2005, 08:51 PM
Tuskegee coach should get it. Tuskegee routinely beats up on SWAC opponents.

JSU Fan
November 30th, 2005, 08:54 PM
Jackson is out. Replaced by a guy the NCAA knows well.

Out.

-----------------------------

Jackson drops out of JSU coach hunt

Former Tennessee State and Alabama State coach L.C. Cole added to short list

By Mark Alexander
[email protected]

Coaching search

Who's In
John McKenzie - Alcorn State
Rick Comegy - Tuskegee
L.C. Cole - Lane

Who's Out
Harold Jackson - Baylor

Jackson State begins the interview stage in its search for its next football coach today as planned.

However, Baylor receivers coach Harold Jackson won't be one of the three coaches interviewed, according to people with knowledge of the search.

Jackson was one of three finalists, along with Tuskegee coach Rick Comegy and Alcorn State assistant John McKenzie. But Jackson withdrew his name from consideration over the weekend. That apparently opened the way for former Tennessee State and Alabama State coach L.C. Cole.

Comegy, whose team plays in Saturday's Pioneer Bowl in Charlotte, and Cole are scheduled to interview with the nine-person search committee today in Jackson. Cole didn't make the original short list but was the first alternate.

McKenzie is scheduled to interview Wednesday.

The search committee is expected to meet at the conclusion of those three interviews and then make a recommendation to JSU president Ronald Mason Jr. by Dec. 2.

Robert Kelly, who is heading the search, wouldn't confirm reports of Jackson pulling his name out of consideration. Kelly even declined to say if the former JSU standout was indeed one of the three finalists .

He also would not comment regarding Cole.

"I didn't give anybody the three names," Kelly said. "I haven't told anybody who is on the short list. So it would be inappropriate for me to make a comment on something like that.

"If someone were to pull their name out, we have a process to deal with that. Before we started the process, we had something drawn up for every conceivable what-if. We're rolling right along. We're still looking at meeting our deadline."

Jackson didn't return repeated phone messages Monday.

Cole is very interested in the job, but he said late Monday afternoon he had not been contacted by anybody on the search committee.

"Trust me, I would welcome a call from them," Cole said. "This is the third time I've applied for the job so that should tell you right there how interested I am in the job."

JSU is looking for a replacement for James Bell, who was fired with three games remaining this past season. Bell went 8-23 in 2 1/2 seasons.

The Tigers finished 2-9 overall and 2-7 in the Southwestern Athletic Conference, marking their third straight losing season.

Bell had a three-year salary paying $85,000 per year. JSU's next coach is likely going to make more. How much more is unclear.

SWAC coaches salaries

School Coach Salary
Southern University Pete Richardson $200,000
Grambling State Melvin Spears $150,000
Prairie View Henry Frazier $125,000
Arkansas-Pine Bluff Mo Forte $118,000
Alabama State Charles Coe $115,000
Alabama A&M Anthony Jones $107,000
Texas Southern Steve Wilson $105,000
Jackson State Vacant $85,000
Mississippi Valley State Willie Totten $85,000
Alcorn State Johnny Thomas $75,000
JSU president Ronald Mason Jr. said how much the new coach makes depends a lot on who the new coach is.

Southern University's Pete Richardson is the highest paid coach in the SWAC. He makes $200,000. Alcorn State's, at $75,000 a year, Johnny Thomas is the lowest paid coach in the league.

"Eighty-five is definitely on the low end," Mason said. "We're not going to be Southern University, I can say that. But we would like to be competitive with the other members of the conference.

"There's a lot of variables involved. What is he making at his current position? What kind of coaching experience does he have? Is he making a lateral move? What's it going to take to get him here? What does he need to move him and his family? All those sorts of things play into it."

Mason also said a lot depends on how much private funds are raised to support state funds.

"Its hard for me to go to the extreme with a coach when I have faculty members I'm struggling to pay," Mason said. "My alumni group is making a strong effort to raise private support, but I don't have any money in the bank yet.

"We're going to have to wait and see how it all plays out. We're going to make the best deal we can."

Cole, no doubt, would love to be part of those negotiations. He spent this past season as defensive coordinator at Lane, the same position he held at Concordia (Minn.) the previous season.

"I thought I had the job the first time when (Robert) Hughes got it," Cole said. "Then this last time, Bell got it. I don't know what's going to happen; I was first told that they had their three candidates. It look like I'm in between the crossroads again."

Cole was successful at Tennessee State and Alabama State but trouble followed him at both stops.

Cole won back-to-back Ohio Valley Conference titles at Tennessee State in 1998 and 1999. But the NCAA's Committee on Infractions imposed penalties on the school for nine violations that involved overspending on athletes, recruiting improprieties and a lack of institutional control. The football program was placed on three years probation.

Cole's salary was frozen in June 1999 by the school.

The following year he bolted for Alabama State, where he won a share of the SWAC East title in his first year and won the SWAC East outright in 2001.

He and assistant coach Johnnie Cole were fired prior to the 2003 season after an internal investigation allegedly revealed the coaches played ineligible players and paid for strippers to entertain recruits. A few weeks later, a judge dismissed a lawsuit filed by 15 Alabama State football players seeking the reinstatement of the Cole brothers.

The NCAA investigation is still ongoing.

"If you're accused of some wrongdoing, there's supposed to be evidence to support that, right?" L.C. Cole said. "It has been nearly three years and nothing has come to pass. I haven't heard anything from them. I got myself into a political situation, that's all."

Comegy, who confirmed he is one of the finalists, finds himself in a different type of quandary. He's in the process of preparing his team for a bowl game while also in the running for the Jackson State job.

"It's something we really haven't talked about with the kids," Comegy said. "They've heard things. But they're very mature about things.

"I want to be the very best I can be for them, that's extremely important to me. "Right now my main focus is on Bowie State. We want to finish 11-1 and win the Pioneer Bowl. Right now its still in the early stages ... we'll see what happens."

Mr. Tiger
November 30th, 2005, 08:56 PM
Jackson drops out of JSU coach hunt

Former Tennessee State and Alabama State coach L.C. Cole added to short list

By Mark Alexander
[email protected]

Jackson State begins the interview stage in its search for its next football coach today as planned.

However, Baylor receivers coach Harold Jackson won't be one of the three coaches interviewed, according to people with knowledge of the search.

Jackson was one of three finalists, along with Tuskegee coach Rick Comegy and Alcorn State assistant John McKenzie. But Jackson withdrew his name from consideration over the weekend. That apparently opened the way for former Tennessee State and Alabama State coach L.C. Cole.

Comegy, whose team plays in Saturday's Pioneer Bowl in Charlotte, and Cole are scheduled to interview with the nine-person search committee today in Jackson. Cole didn't make the original short list but was the first alternate.

McKenzie is scheduled to interview Wednesday.

The search committee is expected to meet at the conclusion of those three interviews and then make a recommendation to JSU president Ronald Mason Jr. by Dec. 2.

JSU is looking for a replacement for James Bell, who was fired with three games remaining this past season. Bell went 8-23 in 2 1/2 seasons.

The Tigers finished 2-9 overall and 2-7 in the Southwestern Athletic Conference, marking their third straight losing season.

the full story (http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051129/SPORTS030101/511290344/1073)

Cap'n Cat
November 30th, 2005, 08:57 PM
Sorry, guys. I didn't think this could possibly be about SWAC football. I thought the "3 finalists" thing was about some JSU rappers who made it to the finals of American Idol.

My mistake. Please carry on.

:rolleyes:

SU Jag
November 30th, 2005, 09:00 PM
I don't think that they'll get Comegy. He has been on the list of a few schools in the past, but Comegy is the man in Tuskegee and not just the school, I'm talking the whole damn city. Tuskegee is a very small town that is VERY passionate about TU football and Comegy is bigger than the Mayor down there. He is also the schools Athleic Director. He turned down a spot at one of the MEAC schools a few years back.

Cap'n Cat
November 30th, 2005, 09:03 PM
I don't think that they'll get Comegy. He has been on the list of a few schools in the past, but Comegy is the man in Tuskegee and not just the school, I'm talking the whole damn city. Tuskegee is a very small town that is VERY passionate about TU football and Comegy is bigger than the Mayor down there. He is also the schools Athleic Director. He turned down a spot at one of the MEAC schools a few years back.

Jag,
Think a fat cracker like Cap'n Cat could turn that ***** around???

:p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :smiley_wi :smiley_wi :smiley_wi :smiley_wi :smiley_wi :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

blackfordpu
November 30th, 2005, 09:08 PM
Sorry, guys. I didn't think this could possibly be about SWAC football. I thought the "3 finalists" thing was about some JSU rappers who made it to the finals of American Idol.

My mistake. Please carry on.

:rolleyes:

Just stirring the pot huh Cap'n? :) :cool: :nod:

SU Jag
November 30th, 2005, 09:10 PM
Cat, I dont know? I don't even know whats the problem at JSU. They have one of the best fan bases of all of the HBCUs, but every since 99 their football program has decline a lot. In 99 they won the SWAC Eastern division and they won a couple of SWAC titles in the 90s. I remeber when it use to be either Southern or JSU as champions of the SWAC. I honestly don't know what happened. They use to be the team to beat, now their just pathetic.

Cap'n Cat
November 30th, 2005, 09:39 PM
Cat, I dont know? I don't even know whats the problem at JSU. They have one of the best fan bases of all of the HBCUs, but every since 99 their football program has decline a lot. In 99 they won the SWAC Eastern division and they won a couple of SWAC titles in the 90s. I remeber when it use to be either Southern or JSU as champions of the SWAC. I honestly don't know what happened. They use to be the team to beat, now their just pathetic.

'Bout time for a "melanin-deficient" coach like Cap'n Cat, then, eh?

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
:nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2: :nonono2:

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

:beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug:

txstatebobcat
November 30th, 2005, 10:18 PM
If Comegy won't get it then I bet LC Cole will get the job. Cole is probably desperate to prove himself as a HC again. Its a big risk for JSU, but Cole would probably come cheap.

With the exception of Comegy, I'm actually not to impressed with the rest of the field. Especially since JSU is one of the more storied programs in HBCU football. I figured the guy from Albany would apply, weren't they ranked either #1 or #2 in D-II last year?

Mr. Tiger
November 30th, 2005, 10:48 PM

Tuskegee coach Rick Comegy will be Jackson State's next head coach. It's a done deal. And what happened to Jackson State was the death of its head coach James Carson in 1999. The next coach, Robert Hughes, was not very good and the coach we just fired, James Bell, was much worse. :nonono2: I think Comegy will get Jackson State back on the right track.

Mr. C
November 30th, 2005, 11:13 PM
I can't believe anyone would make L.C. Cole a finalist. He has a bad, bad track record with the NCAA. He got out of Dodge when he was the coach at Tennessee State just ahead of the NCAA posse and his problems at Alabama State are well documented. Hiring Colo would be pratically inviting the NCAA to put you on probation.

SU Jag
December 1st, 2005, 09:28 AM
Tuskegee coach Rick Comegy will be Jackson State's next head coach. It's a done deal. And what happened to Jackson State was the death of its head coach James Carson in 1999. The next coach, Robert Hughes, was not very good and the coach we just fired, James Bell, was much worse. :nonono2: I think Comegy will get Jackson State back on the right track.

I will have to see it to beleive it! I don't think that Comegy is in any hurry to leave Tuskegee! :)

jstate83
December 1st, 2005, 04:18 PM
I don't think that they'll get Comegy.

WRONG!

jstate83
December 1st, 2005, 04:22 PM
If Comegy won't get it then I bet LC Cole will get the job. Cole is probably desperate to prove himself as a HC again. Its a big risk for JSU, but Cole would probably come cheap.

L.C. has been throwing his name in the JSU ring since he was the head coach at Tennesse St. :nod:

AIN'T NO WAY IN HE!! HE WILL BE COACH AT JSU.
He would win BIG ..............but what will happen 4 years from now.
Smoke/Fire sort of thing..............even though he has not DIRECTLY been found guilty of anything by the NCAA........... :eyebrow:

jstate83
December 1st, 2005, 04:30 PM
If Comegy is hired, I feel for the futhure of JSU Football, but they did hire James Bell, so Comegy won't be a surprise.

No ......................That fat arse North Texas State a-hole of a AD CULBERTSON hired Bell............. his 1-9 highschool coach buddy. Nobody wanted or even heard of this idiot before then. That's why both Harold Jackson and Comegy said THEY ARE REALLY INTERESTED, BUT THEY COULD NOT WORK FOR THE AD THAT RAN THE LAST SEARCH.

Culbertson has NOT had THING 1 TO DO WITH THIS HIRE............now don't that seem like an AD on his way out. How you gonna be an AD and NOT be in on the coaching hire.......................BYE/BYE. :beerchug:

That's why our attendance went from 29,000 average to under 10, 000---and that's streaching it ...........from 2002-2005............... :bang:

Nobody was going to bay $22.50 on Saturday to see a bum LEARN how to coach. :cool:

jstate83
December 7th, 2005, 09:05 AM
Then I am glad for y'all. I hope y'all get a good coach, seriously. I have good friends from JSU. The YE bruhs have always been good to me. I just hope y'all stay FAR AWAY from Comegy.

Here's the complete story about what going on down here.

Glad to say .......................both those idiot's are now gone ...........BELL THE "COACH", :rolleyes: , and CULBERTSON THE AD, :rolleyes: . :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Hopefully President Mason will give the AD job to the right person........................WILLIE RICHARDSON..............PERFECT! :)

The house cleaning continues. :asswhip: :asswhip:

JSU's AD Culbertson might be the next out the door. (http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051206/SPORTS030101/512060398/1073/SPORTS)

Coverage by Clarionledger's Mark Alexander/JSU (http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?Category=SPORTS030101)