PDA

View Full Version : LFN: Hofstra Leaving the CAA... For the Patriot League?

Lehigh Football Nation
May 8th, 2009, 04:57 PM
http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2009/05/hofstra-looking-to-leave-caa.html

Could all the Hofstra talk be more than just talk? At first, I thought they were mostly rumors and unsubstantiated wishes. But when you start to look at the whole Eastern football picture, an intriguing possible picture starts to emerge. Could it be that Fordham's push for scholarships and Hofstra's overtures to the A-10 are linked?

Redwyn
May 8th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Really interesting theories, you've clearly done your homework. However, I'm not sure Hofstra meets the academic interests of the PL, even as a football only member. Hofstra as an undergraduate institution is ranked as a third tier school by US News, and while I'm always hesitant to look at their rankings they're rarely off by an exponential margin. The graduate programs are strong, but I've always felt that the PL looks more at the undergraduate statistics, not so much at the graduate. I could easily be wrong here though, just thinking in terms of Army/Navy.

Thus, if a move on the "other sports" does occur, I believe it's more likely that Fordham will follow Hofstra to an expanding conference, such as the Big South (and this assumes that the CAA will force Hofstra out, since I doubt it will move on its own. Doesn't really make sense). The Big South is full of smaller schools that match both their student populations, and will allow the scholarship totals they ask. It would also give Hofstra the chance to get SBU both as its rivalry game AND a conference game, freeing up an OOC slot. While Hofstra has no true natural rival, SBU's trumped up rivalry is about as close as it gets at the moment given its recent yearly tradition (let SBU beat Hofstra ONCE and then it can be a rivalry). I don't believe Fordham can ever get this type of treatment.

I guess crazier changes have happened though.

Go...gate
May 8th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Where does Hofstra stand in comparison to Marist?

RichH2
May 8th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Interesting scenarios. FCS in the East starting to remind me of the TWILIGHT ZONE

Seawolf97
May 8th, 2009, 09:22 PM
After reading this thread and a similar one on Hofstra I suspect Hofstra will be in the CAA to play another day. Fordham maybe goes independent for 1 or 2 seasons -then who knows where?
Hofstra has to much to lose in the A-10 with their ranked wrestling and lacrosse programs looking for a home. They wont back track into the AE and wont drop a scholarship football program for the PL.

Fordham
May 8th, 2009, 09:25 PM
Interesting stuff, LFN.

Not sure if you know it or not but several key AD people at Hofstra also worked at Fordham in the past and have maintained good relations. I really don't know anything about this but it should would be a nice fit if it plays out as you describe.

mainejeff
May 8th, 2009, 10:16 PM
FCS in the East starting to remind me of the TWILIGHT ZONE

Nah........just a bunch of schools, administrators and coaches with BIG egos. xrolleyesx

Jackman
May 9th, 2009, 02:38 PM
I don't agree with your theoretical post-split Big East expansion thinking, LFN. The Big East's M.O. has always been to avoid duplicating markets. St. Joseph's would never get a look because of Villanova. Same goes for Temple, in addition to the fact that they're not a Catholic school or even a private school. Xavier once Cincinnati leaves is a no-brainer, but then I think the next invite would be St. Louis. Dayton would be next unless the BE thinks they share too much of the same market with Xavier. But even Duquesne (once Pittsburgh leaves) would have a better chance than St. Joe's, and I don't think a non-Catholic school would get a look, let alone a non-private school.

CollegeSportsInfo
May 9th, 2009, 10:52 PM
I don't agree with your theoretical post-split Big East expansion thinking, LFN. The Big East's M.O. has always been to avoid duplicating markets. St. Joseph's would never get a look because of Villanova. Same goes for Temple, in addition to the fact that they're not a Catholic school or even a private school. Xavier once Cincinnati leaves is a no-brainer, but then I think the next invite would be St. Louis. Dayton would be next unless the BE thinks they share too much of the same market with Xavier. But even Duquesne (once Pittsburgh leaves) would have a better chance than St. Joe's, and I don't think a non-Catholic school would get a look, let alone a non-private school.

I usually avoid spamming AGS with my blog articles on conference realignment, especially when there are already existing threads on a topic. But 2 months ago I wrote a piece on the rumored Big East split for the next decade, waiting to post it this month now that basketball is over. So feedback will be appreciated.

But Jackman, you are 100% correct. Not just in your use of sound, rational logic. But in fact, we do have schools that have publicly commented on what schools they would be interested in having join.

You are 100% correct: Villanova has been on the record against any other Philadelphia schools being added and the votes aren't there to go against them. And why would Big East want another school from the same market they lead in? It makes zero sense to consider otherwise. Xavier is the #1 target as a replacement for a lost market and bridge to midwest schools DePaul and Marquette, regardless of Notre Dames goals. They've been as a good a conference mate that A10 fans could have asked for. And I'm with you about St. Louis versus Dayton. I think it would be a tough call, but adding the St. Louis market will outweigh the strengths of Dayton. Then again, we're talking about a proposed 10 team basketball league, so both could be included with Providence, St. Johns, Seton Hall, Villanova, Georgetown, Depaul and Marquette (as Notre Dame would likely remain with the BCS football schools despite their religious affiliation). And again, it's safe to rule out ANY public school post split for the all-private basketball league. Charlotte was on the radar until they started their football push since their eventual goal on an FBS level would be the Big East.

And as for A10 replacements, we already have a list by A10 admins, based on schools that were looked at since 2003 as potential replacements. it's also fairly obvious to point out that the addition of St. Louis and Charlotte as 13th and 14th members was a proactive move to protect the league should this Big East split happen. The loss of even 4 A10 schools would bring the A10 to, you guess it, 10 schools. Sorry, Hofstra and Drexel never made that list that included Boston University, Butler, Detroit, Siena, Holy Cross and ODU (ODU on the record that they would not be interested in an A10 invite).

Lehigh, I recommend browsing the conference realignment forums on my site. There are plenty of great resources added by the users with links to statements regarding legitimate interest in programs. You'd be surprised at the things that have been said on the record. And there's always the "dream conferences for fun" thread where users create lineups of schools they'd like to see included rather then the ones we know will be the real top options based on public comments by admins, facilities, athletic budgets, DMA research based on proposed TV contracts, etc. I'd love to see a high school gym school like St. Joes play with the "big guys" of the Big East but we know that will never happen. And I'd love to see a MAC program make advances enough that the Big East would consider them, but the #1 option, Buffalo, is still years away from that happening. We're all allowed to dream though.

BearsCountry
May 10th, 2009, 02:00 AM
The MAC school for the Big East would be Temple. If a split happens the Philly market plus their hoops would be too big for them to pass up.

Go...gate
May 10th, 2009, 08:05 PM
I usually avoid spamming AGS with my blog articles on conference realignment, especially when there are already existing threads on a topic. But 2 months ago I wrote a piece on the rumored Big East split for the next decade, waiting to post it this month now that basketball is over. So feedback will be appreciated.

But Jackman, you are 100% correct. Not just in your use of sound, rational logic. But in fact, we do have schools that have publicly commented on what schools they would be interested in having join.

You are 100% correct: Villanova has been on the record against any other Philadelphia schools being added and the votes aren't there to go against them. And why would Big East want another school from the same market they lead in? It makes zero sense to consider otherwise. Xavier is the #1 target as a replacement for a lost market and bridge to midwest schools DePaul and Marquette, regardless of Notre Dames goals. They've been as a good a conference mate that A10 fans could have asked for. And I'm with you about St. Louis versus Dayton. I think it would be a tough call, but adding the St. Louis market will outweigh the strengths of Dayton. Then again, we're talking about a proposed 10 team basketball league, so both could be included with Providence, St. Johns, Seton Hall, Villanova, Georgetown, Depaul and Marquette (as Notre Dame would likely remain with the BCS football schools despite their religious affiliation). And again, it's safe to rule out ANY public school post split for the all-private basketball league. Charlotte was on the radar until they started their football push since their eventual goal on an FBS level would be the Big East.

And as for A10 replacements, we already have a list by A10 admins, based on schools that were looked at since 2003 as potential replacements. it's also fairly obvious to point out that the addition of St. Louis and Charlotte as 13th and 14th members was a proactive move to protect the league should this Big East split happen. The loss of even 4 A10 schools would bring the A10 to, you guess it, 10 schools. Sorry, Hofstra and Drexel never made that list that included Boston University, Butler, Detroit, Siena, Holy Cross and ODU (ODU on the record that they would not be interested in an A10 invite).

Lehigh, I recommend browsing the conference realignment forums on my site. There are plenty of great resources added by the users with links to statements regarding legitimate interest in programs. You'd be surprised at the things that have been said on the record. And there's always the "dream conferences for fun" thread where users create lineups of schools they'd like to see included rather then the ones we know will be the real top options based on public comments by admins, facilities, athletic budgets, DMA research based on proposed TV contracts, etc. I'd love to see a high school gym school like St. Joes play with the "big guys" of the Big East but we know that will never happen. And I'd love to see a MAC program make advances enough that the Big East would consider them, but the #1 option, Buffalo, is still years away from that happening. We're all allowed to dream though.

Sounds very interesting. May I have the link to your site?

andy7171
May 11th, 2009, 07:07 AM
No offense to the Patriot Leaguers, but would Hofstra moving from the CAA to the PL be a step down in all sports including football?

Lehigh Football Nation
May 11th, 2009, 11:59 AM
No offense to the Patriot Leaguers, but would Hofstra moving from the CAA to the PL be a step down in all sports including football?

If the PL has football scholarships, Hofstra would be on a fairly level playing field with the CAA. And while CAA basketball is pretty darned good, A-10 basketball is seen as a step up nationally.

For football it would be a marriage of convenience, but if Fordham stays in the PL Hofstra would be a great addition as a leaguemate for the Rams. Plus, Hofstra would also be string down the barrel at NEC or Big South associate membership - would those be better, or worse?

gophoenix
May 11th, 2009, 01:39 PM
http://collegesportsinfo.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=7

crusader11
May 11th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Forget the Hofstra's and Marist's, let's first get scholarships in the PL and then get W&M in Richmond in the league.

Go...gate
May 11th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Forget the Hofstra's and Marist's, let's first get scholarships in the PL and then get W&M and Richmond in the league.

Great idea, but terribly unlikely, IMO.

colorless raider
May 11th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Forget the Hofstra's and Marist's, let's first get scholarships in the PL and then get W&M in Richmond in the league.

I am 100% with you Crusader 11.

danefan
May 11th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Now you have to worry about Georgetown too, IMO. Administrative shake-up and the loss of what appears to be a football supporter.

I have a felling that, unfortunately, at some point someone in the new administration is going to question the existence of Georgetown football.

Seawolf97
May 11th, 2009, 09:34 PM
The combination of Fordham probably leaving the PL and darkening clouds over the Georgetown program doesn't bode well for PL football. I cant see Hofstra in the PL they would have surrender their full scholarship football program and follow the Pl AI even though Hofstra has a great academic reputation.
The leadership of the PL really needs to take a hard look around them.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 12th, 2009, 08:58 AM
The combination of Fordham probably leaving the PL and darkening clouds over the Georgetown program doesn't bode well for PL football. I cant see Hofstra in the PL they would have surrender their full scholarship football program and follow the Pl AI even though Hofstra has a great academic reputation.
The leadership of the PL really needs to take a hard look around them.

Not to mention if we lose our affilates without replacing them we'll lose the autobid.

Appfan_in_CAAland
May 12th, 2009, 02:23 PM
xprayx xprayx Please, can we have their spot, please, please, please. xprayx xprayx

Uncle Buck
May 12th, 2009, 03:49 PM
For all the talk that is happening, I don't see HU moving any time soon. I think the A-10 would be their ideal move for the higher level of hoops, but honestly, i think a lot would have to happen before that becomes a reality.

So for now, go CAA!

FUrams7
May 13th, 2009, 08:55 AM
a possible return of an A-10 football conference isnt out of the question. UMASS, URI, Richmond, Fordham, Dayton, Hofstra, Duquense.. with UNH, Nova, Albany, as possibl assoc members for ftbl..

Lehigh Football Nation
May 13th, 2009, 09:07 AM
a possible return of an A-10 football conference isnt out of the question. UMASS, URI, Richmond, Fordham, Dayton, Hofstra, Duquense.. with UNH, Nova, Albany, as possibl assoc members for ftbl..

True, but the two highlighted parts of your message are problems #1 and #2 with that proposal. Fordham just dropped Dayton from their schedule and also announced they're committed to playing "guarantee games" - something Dayton and Duquense are light years from offering, if ever.

danefan
May 13th, 2009, 09:44 AM
True, but the two highlighted parts of your message are problems #1 and #2 with that proposal. Fordham just dropped Dayton from their schedule and also announced they're committed to playing "guarantee games" - something Dayton and Duquense are light years from offering, if ever.

There are a lot more hurdles than that. You don't need Dayton and Duquesne to bring A10 football back.

You need (1) someone to run it and (2) UMass.

UMass is they key player here. UMass has absolutely zero incentive to move away from its affiliation from the CAA South schools. Without UMass you have no UNH. An A-10 without Umass and UNH isn't a good league.

The only thing the A10 could do is to require all-sport members to play football in its league. But that requires the A10 to actually do something proactive for the development of football. I'm no so sure they are willing to do that.

andy7171
May 13th, 2009, 09:48 AM

Again, why would Villanova leave the CAA?

danefan
May 13th, 2009, 09:52 AM

I totally missed Nova being included. There is no way Nova leaves the CAA unless it is forced out by some rule (either Big East or CAA rule) or Delaware goes to FBS.

henfan
May 13th, 2009, 09:58 AM

Maybe not completely out of the question but, if it's such a great idea, why haven't they done it?

When are Duquesne, Dayton, and Albany going to begin sponsoring 60-ish equivalancies to be able to compete in this type of league?

Durham, NH to Dayton, OH? Really?

danefan
May 13th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Maybe not completely out of the question but, if it's such a great idea, why haven't they done it?

When are Duquesne, Dayton, and Albany going to begin sponsoring 60-ish equivalancies to be able to compete in this type of league?

If there was a spot in a full scholarships league, Albany would be on board.

(before Aceinthehole jumps down my throat - that is what the Administration has told us over and over and over)

Redwyn
May 13th, 2009, 10:07 AM
If there was a spot in a full scholarships league, Albany would be on board.

(before Aceinthehole jumps down my throat - that is what the Administration has told us over and over and over)

It makes me wonder though. Why did SBU and not Albany move to the Big South? Were there discussions at Albany about a similar move?

danefan
May 13th, 2009, 10:13 AM
It makes me wonder though. Why did SBU and not Albany move to the Big South? Were there discussions at Albany about a similar move?

Yes there were discussions about it and the Big South made the same offer to Albany as it did to SBU. We (donors, alumni, etc.) were told that the affiliations with Big South schools and the 63 rides wasn't enough of a draw to offset the amazingly increased travel costs. That was also at the point when the NEC was debating an increase in scholarship limits from 30. I don't believe the UA administration thought the move would be from 30 to 40 at a snale's pace. If that was known it may have been a different decision.

In retrospect I don't think it was a bad decision. The only difference today is the scholarship limit. The NEC has the same playoff access as the Big South in 2010 and Albany has proven that in the short term it can put a 63-ride product on the field offering less than that. That is solely due to Coach Ford.

I do think that Albany and SBU will end up at the same place at some point. But who knows when that will happen.

aceinthehole
May 13th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Yes there were discussions about it and the Big South made the same offer to Albany as it did to SBU. We (donors, alumni, etc.) were told that the affiliations with Big South schools and the 63 rides wasn't enough of a draw to offset the amazingly increased travel costs. That was also at the point when the NEC was debating an increase in scholarship limits from 30. I don't believe the UA administration thought the move would be from 30 to 40 at a snale's pace. If that was known it may have been a different decision.

In retrospect I don't think it was a bad decision. The only difference today is the scholarship limit. The NEC has the same playoff access as the Big South in 2010 and Albany has proven that in the short term it can put a 63-ride product on the field offering less than that. That is solely due to Coach Ford.

I do think that Albany and SBU will end up at the same place at some point. But who knows when that will happen.

I agree with all of this. Albany is in a great situation. They can and want to offer 63 rides. They are just being smart and waiting for the right opportunity. I personally think SBU jumped the gun and I'm not sure they are in a better position than UA. But I do agree the goal is they will be in a the same conference again.

As it is, the Danes can ofer 40 scholarships, have limited travel costs, and have AQ access to the playoffs. Until the CAA lets them in or the AE sponsors football, it seems they are doing very well in the NEC.

danefan
May 13th, 2009, 10:38 AM
I agree with all of this. Albany is in a great situation. They can and want to offer 63 rides. They are just being smart and waiting for the right opportunity. I personally think SBU jumped the gun and I'm not sure they are in a better position than UA. But I do agree the goal is they will be in a the same conference again.

As it is, the Danes can ofer 40 scholarships, have limited travel costs, and have AQ access to the playoffs. Until the CAA lets them in or the AE sponsors football, it seems they are doing very well in the NEC.

Here is the alumni/donor problem with the NEC - without Coach Ford, Albany in the NEC is a bad combination - no facilities, limited scholarship and no marquee head coach. Kids want to come to Albany because they want to play for Coach Ford. Without him I don't think the NEC draw is enough.

Redwyn
May 13th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Here is the alumni/donor problem with the NEC - without Coach Ford, Albany in the NEC is a bad combination - no facilities, limited scholarship and no marquee head coach. Kids want to come to Albany because they want to play for Coach Ford. Without him I don't think the NEC draw is enough.

Sounds like the Memphis Basketball quandry. Kinda feel bad for the AD will get fired because of that.

I agree, Albany and SBU seem to have a common destiny. Will be fun to watch them continue to develop.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
May 13th, 2009, 10:57 AM

Very true especially since they didn't do it when they still had the AQ!! When I expressed concern to some officials at UNH after Northeastern joined the CAA for all sports, I got the impression that it was expected that the A-10 would do something like what FUrams7 proposed (without Hofstra since they were all sports CAA) and hold on to the AQ. Obviously, it never happened. I have no reason to think it would today unless there's some huge philosophy change within the A-10. With all the non football schools in their membership, I'm not holding my breath waiting for any new undertaking to sponsor football. Ditto for the America East Conference.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
May 13th, 2009, 11:01 AM

I doubt Richmond would want to leave either, although I suppose the A-10 could force them to play football under their banner.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 13th, 2009, 11:06 AM
http://www.newsday.com/sports/college/ny-sphof0513,0,623146.story

Hofstra's interest in exploring membership in the Atlantic 10 conference has been derailed days after the university said it would be reviewing conference affiliation.

``At this time I have no indication from my membership that they are interested in expanding,'' A-10 commissioner Bernadette McGlade said in a statement. The A-10 has 14 institutions.

Of course, this wouldn't preclude them considering Hofstra if they're raided by the Big East, but this does tamp down the talk a little bit.

mainejeff
May 13th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Does Delaware run the Villanova athletic department?xconfusedx

I get the impression that they do.

xcoffeex

RichH2
May 13th, 2009, 12:38 PM
While Fordham didnot really start this avalanche of league switch speculation, it is interesting that they have dropped off the board. I figure FU will be a trivia Q on this issue a couple of years from now.

CollegeSportsInfo
May 13th, 2009, 12:49 PM
There are a lot more hurdles than that. You don't need Dayton and Duquesne to bring A10 football back.

You need (1) someone to run it and (2) UMass.

UMass is they key player here. UMass has absolutely zero incentive to move away from its affiliation from the CAA South schools. Without UMass you have no UNH. An A-10 without Umass and UNH isn't a good league.

The only thing the A10 could do is to require all-sport members to play football in its league. But that requires the A10 to actually do something proactive for the development of football. I'm no so sure they are willing to do that.

Probably right. But I'll say this...the America East could try to force UMass' hand.

If the AE went through expansion and added a football school to upgrade like say CCSU, they could just sponsor football with URI as an associate member:

Maine
UNH
Albany
Stonybrook
CCSU
*URI

I think there might be some push in regards to budget to just join with these local 6 schools, allowing CAA schools for likely OOC games. It's not a bad 7 team league once you throw in UMass.

But more curious would be the big, longshot "what-ifs" about Hofstra and Northeastern. While current logic says they would never consider a return to the America East, things could always change and that conference could be an appealing option once again. But it's a longshot that is years away from being a realistic option. School used to leave their conference for a few years only to return (Duquesne for example). But it's not as common these days...but Campbell falls into that category.

All-Sports:

Maine
New Hampshire
Northeastern
Boston University
Hofstra
Vermont
Albany
Binghamton
Hartford
Stony Brook
UMBC

AE Football:

Maine
New Hampshire
Northeastern
Hofstra
Albany
Stony Brook
*UMass
*URI

mainejeff
May 13th, 2009, 01:00 PM
These schools need to stop trying to be Michigan, Ohio State, UNC, UCLA, etc..........and form an alliance that makes sense according to geography, budgets, and similarities. There's no reason in 2009 to continue down this path of ignoring your neighbors so that a few alums can thump their chest that they are hosting Wake Forest or Kansas once in a blue moon. No matter what conference a school is in........they have an opportunity to make the NCAA Tourney with an autobid.......or they can schedule a tough OOC schedule in an attempt to gain an at-large berth.

It is laughable that a UMass or a URI would snub their noses at a Maine or a UNH or a Vermont when they have programs like St. Bonaventure or Fordham or Duquesne littering their conference schedule.

danefan
May 13th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Probably right. But I'll say this...the America East could try to force UMass' hand.

If the AE went through expansion and added a football school to upgrade like say CCSU, they could just sponsor football with URI as an associate member:

Maine
UNH
Albany
Stonybrook
CCSU
*URI

I think there might be some push in regards to budget to just join with these local 6 schools, allowing CAA schools for likely OOC games. It's not a bad 7 team league once you throw in UMass.

But more curious would be the big, longshot "what-ifs" about Hofstra and Northeastern. While current logic says they would never consider a return to the America East, things could always change and that conference could be an appealing option once again. But it's a longshot that is years away from being a realistic option. School used to leave their conference for a few years only to return (Duquesne for example). But it's not as common these days...but Campbell falls into that category.

All-Sports:

Maine
New Hampshire
Northeastern
Boston University
Hofstra
Vermont
Albany
Binghamton
Hartford
Stony Brook
UMBC

AE Football:

Maine
New Hampshire
Northeastern
Hofstra
Albany
Stony Brook
*UMass
*URI

I like your second option better as the league would immediately qualify for an AQ.

I just don't see any potential leadership in the AEast for football. Nero isn't the guy.

I would love to see McElroy (our AD) take over for Nero. McElroy is a good guy and a football guy (played at USC) but he sucks at lobbying and government relations, which when you are dealing with the NY Legislature for your every move you have to be able to play that game. He'd be great in a conference leadership role, IMO and would push for AEast football as he did at the conference meeting in 2004-05.

henfan
May 13th, 2009, 01:24 PM
http://www.newsday.com/sports/college/ny-sphof0513,0,623146.story

Of course, this wouldn't preclude them considering Hofstra if they're raided by the Big East, but this does tamp down the talk a little bit.

A little bit? Ya think?xlolx

Marcus looks like a complete tool for writing tripe and then having to retract it. I'll give him 6-8 months before he tries another 'HU to the A-10' article.

BDKJMU
May 17th, 2009, 04:26 PM
http://www.newsday.com/sports/college/ny-sphofstra0812743699may07,0,6996376.story

TexasTerror
May 17th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Two threads on said subject...have your pick!

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59306

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59271

dgreco
May 17th, 2009, 04:52 PM
they are now a Philadelphia based conference.

henfan
May 18th, 2009, 08:21 AM
Busy weekend. I missed the sports reports. Did Hofstra end up joining the Atlantic 10, as so many seemed to think destined to happen just last week? Maybe the topic deserves another thread this week.xsmashx

Lehigh Football Nation
May 18th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Busy weekend. I missed the sports reports. Did Hofstra end up joining the Atlantic 10, as so many seemed to think destined to happen just last week? Maybe the topic deserves another thread this week.xsmashx

You'll have to wait until next week - when the eight football members of the Big East elect to leave the Big East in 2011. Didn't you read my blog posting? :D

Husky Alum
May 18th, 2009, 11:52 AM
I'm going to apply for the AE Commissioner's job when it opens.

If you look at the no talent hacks the AE has had as Comissioner since the formation of the conference, I've got to think I'm more than qualified to run the league.

Heck, I've got 20+ years experience with the conference, have a nose for business, and other than mainejeff, I'm sure I 'd have the support of many fans from the conference.

danefan
May 18th, 2009, 11:53 AM

If you look at the no talent hacks the AE has had as Comissioner since the formation of the conference, I've got to think I'm more than qualified to run the league.

Heck, I've got 20+ years experience with the conference, have a nose for business, and other than mainejeff, I'm sure I 'd have the support of many fans from the conference.

Only way to go is up. Anyone can do better than who is there.

Has there every been something so obvious in front of the conference's face right now? I mean - AEast Football is screaming out for formation. Why it hasn't happened yet is beyond me.

GannonFan
May 18th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Only way to go is up. Anyone can do better than who is there.

Has there every been something so obvious in front of the conference's face right now? I mean - AEast Football is screaming out for formation. Why it hasn't happened yet is beyond me.

Gee, this sounds so 10-15 years ago. xlolx

danefan
May 18th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Gee, this sounds so 10-15 years ago. xlolx

I know, it has been on the bubble forever, but in reality has there ever been a better time. What AD/President in this economy in his right mind wouldn't be interested in a way to cut a HUGE portion of their expenses by cutting travel costs?

Husky Alum
May 18th, 2009, 12:05 PM
I know, it has been on the bubble forever, but in reality has there ever been a better time. What AD/President in this economy in his right mind wouldn't be interested in a way to cut a HUGE portion of their expenses by cutting travel costs?

Well, based on past hisory, the AD's at Vermont and Hartford.

The America East, where the tail wags the dog.

henfan
May 18th, 2009, 04:08 PM
I know, it has been on the bubble forever, but in reality has there ever been a better time.

Those of us who remember the time when the CAA fronted a proposal to be absorbed by the AEC might disagree. But I understand what you're saying.

Dane96
May 19th, 2009, 08:02 AM

I expect to be your right hand man!!!

Seriously though, I think you and I (since we are local) could EASILY run that conference, cut deals, bring AE HOCKEY and FOOTBALL into the mix sooner than Nero could get out of bed.

I find it ironic that a man named NERO is the leader of the AE; the league is destined for a fantastic split if things dont start changing.

henfan
May 19th, 2009, 08:21 AM
I find it ironic that a man named NERO is the leader of the AE; the league is destined for a fantastic split if things dont start changing.

I thought I heard a violin.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
May 19th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Well, based on past hisory, the AD's at Vermont and Hartford.

The America East, where the tail wags the dog.

How about the Rat Dogs? xconfusedx No way they're in the football camp!! Difficult to believe that UMBC or Binghamton would be an ally of the football schools either.

danefan
May 19th, 2009, 09:03 AM
How about the Rat Dogs? xconfusedx No way they're in the football camp!! Difficult to believe that UMBC or Binghamton would be an ally of the football schools either.

Is the right assumption that non-football schools are against AEast football? I could see why they wouldn't actively pursue it, but why would they be against it.

Does it really effect them, except to give them an avenue for adding a team if they wanted to. America East schools aren't really a factor in any fall sports that I can see. Adding football to the America East could add some publicity to a league that gets none.

State Line Liquors
May 19th, 2009, 09:30 AM
I doubt Richmond would want to leave either, although I suppose the A-10 could force them to play football under their banner.

Would UR actually listen if the A-10 told them they had to join their football conference? Provided the CAA would have them back in all sports, it'd probably make alot more sense for them to just move all their sports back to the CAA since basketball in the A-10 probably hasn't been everything UR hoped.

89Hen
May 19th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Is the right assumption that non-football schools are against AEast football? I could see why they wouldn't actively pursue it, but why would they be against it.

Does it really effect them, except to give them an avenue for adding a team if they wanted to. America East schools aren't really a factor in any fall sports that I can see. Adding football to the America East could add some publicity to a league that gets none.
FWIW, the non-football schools in the CAA had to be appeased by adding Drexel when UD, TU and HU were added and again with Georgia State when NU was added. xnodx xpeacex

89Hen
May 19th, 2009, 10:38 AM
basketball in the A-10 probably hasn't been everything UR hoped.
Still better than the CAA. xpeacex

henfan
May 19th, 2009, 10:45 AM

Probably a good question to direct at the administrations of UHart & UVm as well. In the recent past, they certainly did not support AEC FB if it meant expanding the conference footprint for Olympic sports. That's in sharp contrast to the CAA's I-AAA schools, who supported conference expansion because they understood the value of having D-I FB.

IMO, the AEC's challenge is trying to form a viable D-I FB conference out of thin air with only 3 schools who field full scholarship FB programs (4 if the Danes ever get up to snuff.) You would still need at least 2-3 more core members to field FB squads in order to have a secure situation in which the FB league's very existence didn't hinge so heavily on affiliates. And then, once the AEC has those 6-7 core schools in the fold, the challenge remains attracting affiliates from other conferences, some of whom may already be comfortable in their current situations.

*IMO, the AEC stands little chance of ever landing a FB conference without Olympic sport league expansion or, less likely, having a couple of the I-AAAs begin sponsoring FB. Either way, support of the AEC I-AAAs is critical if the league ever hopes to land FB. In the past they've demonstrated that they won't support FB if the decision has any financial impact on them, even if it means advancing the overall competitive scope of the conference.

State Line Liquors
May 19th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Still better than the CAA. xpeacex

Yup, in terms of basketball A-10 performance it is a better conference. Conference tourney in A.C. makes alot of sense when you consider that the CAA tourney is down the street. How many times have they been to the big dance since joining the A10?

Jackman
May 19th, 2009, 02:19 PM
The only way Richmond would have had more tournament appearances in the CAA is if they won the conference tourney. And if they were going to try to get in that way, they may as well join the weakest autobid conference possible. If you're not in a multi-bid conference like the A10, your regular season is almost meaningless.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
May 19th, 2009, 08:58 PM

Wouldn't they have less power in the conference if football schools became the majority? Would they be happy if football started having as much influence as basketball in the conference? Aren't there all sorts of issues between the football and non-football schools in the Big East? JMHO, but you have completely different athletic departments based on football or not.

Sure, AE Football could add a lot of positive publicity, but so could have AE Ice Hockey. The 2009 D-I National Champions could have been wearing AE patches on their sweaters. xwhistlex The opportunity for positive publicity hasn't resulted in either sport gaining much impetus from America East.

mainejeff
May 20th, 2009, 12:47 AM
America East sucks.

Redwyn
May 20th, 2009, 05:35 AM
America East sucks.

Unfortunately, you're right on the money for the moment. The conference has a ton of upside, but it's a matter of joint willingness to capitalize on it.

ur2k
May 21st, 2009, 08:32 AM
Yup, in terms of basketball A-10 performance it is a better conference. Conference tourney in A.C. makes alot of sense when you consider that the CAA tourney is down the street. How many times have they been to the big dance since joining the A10?

UR's had 1 NCAA appearance since joining the a10 - 2004 and that was an at large entry. UR's only at-large in the CAA came in the 80s and was the last CAA at-large until the very recent past.

And I would attribute the lack of more NCAA chances to our team being blown up by Jerry Wainwright and sucking for a few years than conference affiliation.

Jackman
May 21st, 2009, 05:46 PM
In its 26 year history, the CAA has only had a total of 3 at large bids to the basketball tournament.
During that same period, the A10 had 44 at large bids, with only 4 zero-bid seasons to the CAA's 23. The A10 has had more seasons with 3+ at large bids (5) than the CAA has had bids.

So no, these conferences are not comparable in terms of tournament access.

The good news is, the CAA already has 3 at large bids in football in only 2 seasons (not counting the 6 at large bids awarded to affiliate members).