PDA

View Full Version : 1st Preseason All-Americans

appstate38
May 7th, 2009, 07:32 AM
It has some of the usual suspects. Never really heard of Consesus Draft Services, but I figure it will give us something to talk about since we are moving into the summer.

here is the link
http://www.goasu.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=21500&ATCLID=3734408

Redwyn
May 7th, 2009, 07:37 AM
I think Cuttino's Stony Brook's first All American mention ever. Congrats on his honorable mention!

Gotta start somewhere

uofmman1122
May 7th, 2009, 08:03 AM
Wow...not even honorable mention to Chase Reynolds.

After week five last year, I doubt there was anyone who did better than he did in the second half of the season.

Oh well.

bluehenbillk
May 7th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Ouch...there's some locker room material. UD has 2 guys back that have been 1st Team All-Americans that don't even get honorable mention?? xlolx

Obviously they must not put incoming transfers, i.e Devlin, in there.

Gil Dobie
May 7th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Good to see a Bison on the Team xthumbsupx

Actually the one from the town I live in. :p

ur2k
May 7th, 2009, 09:17 AM
It has some of the usual suspects. Never really heard of Consesus Draft Services, but I figure it will give us something to talk about since we are moving into the summer.

here is the link
http://www.goasu.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=21500&ATCLID=3734408

Never heard of them either - here's the website http://cdsdraft.com/.

Seems like they did some homework on this list - not too bad.

Thunderstruck84
May 7th, 2009, 10:09 AM
SECOND-TEAM OFFENSE
K Shawn Bibeau. North Dakota St.

xeekx

I... literally... almost fell out of my chair when I saw this.

I normally don't complain about all american lists because they're all flawed in some way but there is no WAAAAAAAAAAAAY Bibeau is the 2nd best placekicker in the FCS. 4 missed XPs on the year, blowing the SDSU game by missing 2FGs and 2XPs, a season long FG of 39 last year.... no way!

</end rant>

Gil Dobie
May 7th, 2009, 10:11 AM
xeekx

I... literally... almost fell out of my chair when I saw this.

I normally don't complain about all american lists because they're all flawed in some way but there is no WAAAAAAAAAAAAY Bibeau is the 2nd best placekicker in the FCS. 4 missed XPs on the year, blowing the SDSU game by missing 2FGs and 2XPs, a season long FG of 39 last year.... no way!

</end rant>

It's better news about an NDSU player, than other recent news. xoopsx

I don't think Bibeau blew the SDSU game, the team blew the game, as other mistakes by other players happened in the game.

Thunderstruck84
May 7th, 2009, 10:22 AM
It's better news about an NDSU player, than other recent news. xoopsx

I don't think Bibeau blew the SDSU game, the team blew the game, as other mistakes by other players happened in the game.
That's true, you can't pin any losses on one player but I'm pretty sure most Bison fans feel very uneasy with a tight game hinging on Bibeau's leg. That's not the type of sentiment an All-American placekicker should evoke.

MSUBear42
May 7th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Have no respect for this publication. TE Clay Harbor Southwest Missouri St.

HELLO! THAT WAS F I V E FREAKIN YEARS AGO!

Maroon&White
May 7th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Swap Turcotte for McCarty. Turcotte is not one of the 4 best RB's in the country.

And to pick on Maine again, Brusko honorable mention WR?? He had 11 catches for 118yds!

Miles from UMass should definitely be on there somewhere for safety.

smallcollegefbfan
May 7th, 2009, 10:45 AM
They have way too many players listed as honorable mention and just something that nobody realizes. I know for a fact they use to do this, might not anymore, however, at one point they were using their message boards to send players in there to chat with fans and the fans would turn out to be agents. I saw an email that they sent to agents asking for a cut of the money if they signed certain players. They might not be doing that anymore but the simple fact they did at one time will never allow me to take them seriously.

smallcollegefbfan
May 7th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Swap Turcotte for McCarty. Turcotte is not one of the 4 best RB's in the country.

And to pick on Maine again, Brusko honorable mention WR?? He had 11 catches for 118yds!

Miles from UMass should definitely be on there somewhere for safety.

I have seen both Miles and Casale and while Casale is a very good one he won't play in the NFL like Miles and hasn't been as productive. Miles is definitely a huge snub.

danefan
May 7th, 2009, 10:49 AM
If David McCarty isn't at least a 2nd team all-american on the major AA lists and on the initial Payton List I think I might have remove myself from all message boards.

Albany in the preseason top 25 is legitamately arguable, but is there really an argument that McCarty isn't one of the top returning 3 RB's in the nation?

Uncle Rico's Clan
May 7th, 2009, 10:52 AM

After week five last year, I doubt there was anyone who did better than he did in the second half of the season.

Oh well.

When i scanned the list I couldn't believe he didn't make it, his was the main name I was looking for.

grizband
May 7th, 2009, 10:53 AM

Oh well.
Its funny that while rushing for 1500+ yards in 16 games last season, Reynolds was only officially listed as the starter for four games.

Retro
May 7th, 2009, 11:04 AM
No honorable mention for the best QB in the SLC, but 2 others listed?? There's an agenda here and it ain't the best FCS players!xrolleyesx

bluehenbillk
May 7th, 2009, 11:16 AM
If David McCarty isn't at least a 2nd team all-american on the major AA lists and on the initial Payton List I think I might have remove myself from all message boards.

Albany in the preseason top 25 is legitamately arguable, but is there really an argument that McCarty isn't one of the top returning 3 RB's in the nation?

Again, I only saw the guy get swallowed at the line of scrimmage against UD last year, but I thought I saw a couple of guys in the CAA better than him. Vaughn from Richmond, who graduated, W&M had one or two that looked better, Nelson from UMass just to name a few.

danefan
May 7th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Again, I only saw the guy get swallowed at the line of scrimmage against UD last year, but I thought I saw a couple of guys in the CAA better than him. Vaughn from Richmond, who graduated, W&M had one or two that looked better, Nelson from UMass just to name a few.

Base it on a body of work, not one game, especially when that game is the anomaly. He had 100+ in every game except Delaware.

UMass - 24 for 125yds 1 td.
Hofstra - 27 for 178yds 1 td
UNH - 39 for 130 1td
Delaware - 22 for 47 1td - there is your anomaly
Duquesne - 37 for 230
CCSU - 28 for 101 1td
Sacred heart - 32 for 207 1td (also took a knee on the 1 yrd line with 6 seconds left)
St. Francis - 31 for 122 1td
Monmouth - 31 for 208 1td
Robert Morris - 25 for 129 1td
Wager - 28 for 104 1td
Jacksonville - 33 for 271 4td

Total - 357 for 1852 and 13 TDs (5.2 avg).

Maroon&White
May 7th, 2009, 11:26 AM

No Turcotte?

jmufan999
May 7th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Base it on a body of work, not one game, especially when that game is the anomily. He had 100+ in every game except Delaware.

UMass - 24 for 125yds 1 td.
Hofstra - 27 for 178yds 1 td
UNH - 39 for 130 1td
Delaware - 22 for 47 1td - there is your anomily
Duquesne - 37 for 230
CCSU - 28 for 101 1td
Sacred heart - 32 for 207 1td (also took a knee on the 1 yrd line with 6 seconds left)
St. Francis - 31 for 122 1td
Monmouth - 31 for 208 1td
Robert Morris - 25 for 129 1td
Wager - 28 for 104 1td
Jacksonville - 33 for 271 4td

Total - 357 for 1852 and 13 TDs (5.2 avg).

first of all, i haven't seen the kid, i'm not saying he's not good. he might be the best RB in all of FCS, i have no clue. my only point here is that getting 100 yards isn't as impressive as looking at yards per carry and level of competition. example: yes, he had 130 yards against the one and only playoff team you played last year.... but it was a god-awful 3.33 yards/carry..... in a loss.... against the CAA's 4th best team. if you carry the ball 39 times and don't hit the century mark, there's something seriously wrong. good ypc against UMass and Hofstra, but each had an atrocious defense last year. again, he might be a good player, just saying that the stats provided don't really sell me. maybe they will in 2009.

anyway, about the list itself... no real problems for me on it. looks pretty good. a tad surprised Sczcur (WR- Villanova) isn't on the list somewhere. i think he'll have a chance at CAA Player of the Year. probably won't get it because of his position (QB's and RB's always have a leg up, even though he'll be used as both... he's "listed" as a WR), but his talent can't be questioned.

Smendy
May 7th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Good list, but I think McCarty from Albany, Cortez Gilbert and the Josh Morris should be higher.

Luke Bonus is still around? Seems like he's been Hofstra since 2004?

Original_RMC
May 7th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Congrats to the RMU guys.
FIRST-TEAM DEFENSE
ILB Alex DiMichele, Robert Morris, 6'2", 240 (Jr.)

HONORABLE MENTION
S Michael Landers, Robert Morris, 6'1", 210

Syntax Error
May 7th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Never really heard of Consesus Draft ServicesThis just in... JoeSchmoe.com has their preseason AA teams online too. Read all about it!

Syntax Error
May 7th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Never heard of them either - here's the website cdsdraft.com/. Seems like they did some homework on this list - not too bad.They are an FBS site and the picks are gleaned from AGS talk (a member here picked the teams). Way to go.

Seawolf97
May 7th, 2009, 01:01 PM
I think Cuttino's Stony Brook's first All American mention ever. Congrats on his honorable mention!

Gotta start somewhere

I would add Ed Gowins to this list. 2008 Freshman of the year!xnodx

Redwyn
May 7th, 2009, 01:10 PM
I would add Ed Gowins to this list. 2008 Freshman of the year!xnodx

Was a bit surprised not to see him on the list. Is it his sophomore status?

danefan
May 7th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Was a bit surprised not to see him on the list. Is it his sophomore status?

They must have just overlooked him. He had an amazing freshman year last year that went almost unnoticed, perhaps because SBU had those midseason nightmarish games.

UNHFootballAlum
May 7th, 2009, 02:20 PM
UNH - 39 for 130 1td. This only equates to 3 yards per carry. Not a very good number for an elite RB

danefan
May 7th, 2009, 02:32 PM
You guys make me laugh.

The kid racks up 1800+ yards and averages 5.2 a carry for the season and yet somehow he's not an elite RB?

I really think you guys need to reevaluate your statistical analysis.

smallcollegefbfan
May 7th, 2009, 03:06 PM
You guys make me laugh.

The kid racks up 1800+ yards and averages 5.2 a carry for the season and yet somehow he's not an elite RB?

I really think you guys need to reevaluate your statistical analysis.

These picks are a total joke and anyone who thinks McCarty is not an All-American is crazy.

When you talk about the top RBs in the nation he belongs in the same group with William Ford, Chase Reynolds, Todd Pendland, David Sinisi, Chris Evans, Karrington Bush, and Treyvyn Smith.

Hellgate60
May 7th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Andrew Gardner made honorable mention?????????????????? In case you guys don't know who this is, He is the kicker for Cal Poly. The same kicker who missed the field goal against Montana and the same kicker who missed the extra points against Wisconsin. He isn't even on the Cal Poly roster. This is a joke!

http://www.gopoly.com/index.php?p=sports&id=29891&tab=roster

malibudude
May 7th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Andrew Gardner made honorable mention?????????????????? In case you guys don't know who this is, He is the kicker for Cal Poly. The same kicker who missed the field goal against Montana and the same kicker who missed the extra points against Wisconsin. He isn't even on the Cal Poly roster. This is a joke!

http://www.gopoly.com/index.php?p=sports&id=29891&tab=roster

I was just about to post that. Too funny. 27 yarder against the Griz and three extra points againt the Badgers.

danefan
May 7th, 2009, 05:27 PM
These picks are a total joke and anyone who thinks McCarty is an All-American is crazy.

When you talk about the top RBs in the nation he belongs in the same group with William Ford, Chase Reynolds, Todd Pendland, David Sinisi, Chris Evans, Karrington Bush, and Treyvyn Smith.

Did you mean to say that "anyone who thinks McCarty is not an All-american is crazy"?

Maybe I'm setting myself up for being called crazy. xlolx

Syntax Error
May 7th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Did you mean to say that "anyone who thinks McCarty is not an All-american is crazy"?
Maybe I'm setting myself up for being called crazy. xlolxNaw, too many crazy things with this person's list that are loco.

smallcollegefbfan
May 7th, 2009, 06:23 PM

Maybe I'm setting myself up for being called crazy. xlolx

Yes sorry about that! He will be a preseason 2nd or 3rd team selection by someone I am sure and he deserves it! xthumbsupx

smallcollegefbfan
May 7th, 2009, 06:25 PM
I was just about to post that. Too funny. 27 yarder against the Griz and three extra points againt the Badgers.

Yeah I must agree. He lost several games such as the Wisconsin game and had trouble with PATs all year long. I could see him being 2nd team All-Great West but he is not an All-American at this point.

smallcollegefbfan
May 7th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Naw, too many crazy things with this person's list that are loco.

Yeah those picks are crazy. I feel bad about that typo. I would certainly put McCarty on an All-America team if you are going 2 or 3 deep on it.

UNHFootballAlum
May 7th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Danefan
You were the one who highlighted McCarty's game against UNH as one of his better games. I was at that game and he is a quality back, but that was not one of his better games.

smallcollegefbfan
May 7th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Here is a link to the condraft staff. I wonder who the staff member is that posts on here.

Anyone else laugh even more at the validity of the FCS All-America teams after reading the experience of these guys?

http://cdsdraft.com/contact.php

Smendy
May 7th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Yes sorry about that! He will be a preseason 2nd or 3rd team selection by someone I am sure and he deserves it! xthumbsupx

I agree. Matter of fact, if he wasn't mid-major FCS, he would be more accepted as a 1st team selection. I watched him run for over 270 yards last fall against Jacksonville. Had the coaches not sat him down in the last quarter, he could've had 350, way he was running.

smallcollegefbfan
May 7th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Anyone notice that Larry Hart was not on the 1st or 2nd team? Major snub. He is, by far, the biggest snub.

BigHouseClosedEnd
May 7th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Anyone notice that Larry Hart was not on the 1st or 2nd team? Major snub. He is, by far, the biggest snub.

Who is Larry Hart?

From my standpoint, looks like some research went into putting this together. Matt McCracken for Richmond was easy, considering he was AA last year. Knowing what Justin Rogers and Martin Parker do for Richmond shows research.

It is awesome that Eric Ward made 2nd team. I hope he gets an opportunity to put up the type of numbers that will put him on a Post-Season team. Even if he doesn't, Richmond is proud to have one of the best LEADERS in FCS!

GATA
May 7th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Good to see that Georgia Southern doesn't have a single player listed on that All-American list...not even an honorable mention...not a single one.

We've got ZERO talent....another 6-5 season is on the way. I hate Sam Baker...why did we ever scrap the option?

smallcollegefbfan
May 7th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Who is Larry Hart?

From my standpoint, looks like some research went into putting this together. Matt McCracken for Richmond was easy, considering he was AA last year. Knowing what Justin Rogers and Martin Parker do for Richmond shows research.

It is awesome that Eric Ward made 2nd team. I hope he gets an opportunity to put up the type of numbers that will put him on a Post-Season team. Even if he doesn't, Richmond is proud to have one of the best LEADERS in FCS!

Hart finished 7th in the Buck Buchanan Award Voting and was second among underclassmen. He and Mark LeGree are clearly the top two names for the Buchanan Award at this point for 2009.

I would be shocked if you see Ward on the Payton Award watch list heading into the season.

Wildcat80
May 8th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Congrats to TE Scott Sicko!!! IMO our QB RJ Toman deserves at least an HM. Also saw two St Francis players listed. We shall see our 1st game. GO CATS!

ur2k
May 8th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Hart finished 7th in the Buck Buchanan Award Voting and was second among underclassmen. He and Mark LeGree are clearly the top two names for the Buchanan Award at this point for 2009.

I would be shocked if you see Ward on the Payton Award watch list heading into the season.

I had to look up who Larry Hart was too. DE at Central Arkansas for the folks who didn't know.

If Eric Ward isn't on the Payton list, so be it. He will be on the list of QBs trying to win another National Championship - how many of those are on your team? xnonox

Eaglesrus
May 8th, 2009, 09:02 AM
I had to look up who Larry Hart was too. DE at Central Arkansas for the folks who didn't know.

If Eric Ward isn't on the Payton list, so be it. He will be on the list of QBs trying to win another National Championship - how many of those are on your team? xnonox

I think we have 6 on our roster right now; not expecting them to win it (lately a winning season is about the most I expect), but I hope they'll be doing anything they can to get us there.:)

ur2k
May 8th, 2009, 11:44 AM
I think we have 6 on our roster right now; not expecting them to win it (lately a winning season is about the most I expect), but I hope they'll be doing anything they can to get us there.:)

You have 6 QBs who have won a championship on your current roster?

smallcollegefbfan
May 8th, 2009, 12:28 PM

I am not putting him down. I just pointed out that I don't see TSN putting him on the Payton list. Hopefully he has a good year and is added to the list.

I am shocked that some don't know who Hart is. Here is a link to a highlight video of him. (#9 on the video) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxOvrOHGbU0

As you can see, he is one heck of a player!

ngineer
May 8th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Nice to see two Lehigh guys on the list. However, Matt Cohen deserves higher ranking. The guy is amazing. I think he was one of the leaders last year in tackles for loss, he's exceptionally quick, with good hands. Has had several interceptions.

smallcollegefbfan
May 8th, 2009, 12:43 PM

GSU has 6 total NCs and ASU has 3 total NCs and then you have others such as Montana who have won multiple titles. GSU has had more QBs win a NC than any other school in FCS/I-AA. Congrats on the 2008 title but we are in 2009 and everyone is gunning for Richmond. I really hope to see Richmond back in the semis, at least, this year.

You guys have a great team but don't let arrogance get to you. It got to App and you saw some of the losses they had and you see where GSU is at now. Stay focused and don't brag about the titles. Don't give other teams bulletin board material as Richmond already has the biggest bulls eye of any other team and can't sneak up on anyone or fly under the radar.

YOU WERE THE NATIONAL CHAMPS! Now you are THE DEFENDING NATIONAL CHAMPS! You must defend that title and I wish you the best of luck. It is a daunting task. It sucks you can't enjoy it very long doesn't it? You really can enjoy it for a couple weeks and then you have to get back to work and forget the last one if you want to stay hungry. Just ask all the past champions how tough it is. We have had 31 National Champions and only 6 of them have been able to say they won it the previous year. I am not attacking you or putting you down but I just want you guys to realize that you have to stay hungry and can't really brag because we are in a new year and, unfortunately, have to prove it all over again. Stay hungry! You guys have the talent to stay at or near the top of the FCS. I fully expect Villanova, ASU, and Richmond to all be in the semis this year. I am having a tough time picking my 4th team to make it to the semis.

ur2k
May 8th, 2009, 12:54 PM
I was simply responding to your crack at Eric Ward. By my count, he and Armanti Edwards are the only 2 returning starting QBs this year with rings.

Maroon&White
May 8th, 2009, 01:28 PM
I am shocked that some don't know who Hart is. Here is a link to a highlight video of him. (#9 on the video) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxOvrOHGbU0

Those were some pretty bad OL's. Especially the LT for that first team. He was fast and had some moves though.

BigHouseClosedEnd
May 8th, 2009, 01:32 PM
GSU has 6 total NCs and ASU has 3 total NCs and then you have others such as Montana who have won multiple titles. GSU has had more QBs win a NC than any other school in FCS/I-AA. Congrats on the 2008 title but we are in 2009 and everyone is gunning for Richmond. I really hope to see Richmond back in the semis, at least, this year.

You guys have a great team but don't let arrogance get to you. It got to App and you saw some of the losses they had and you see where GSU is at now. Stay focused and don't brag about the titles. Don't give other teams bulletin board material as Richmond already has the biggest bulls eye of any other team and can't sneak up on anyone or fly under the radar.

YOU WERE THE NATIONAL CHAMPS! Now you are THE DEFENDING NATIONAL CHAMPS! You must defend that title and I wish you the best of luck. It is a daunting task. It sucks you can't enjoy it very long doesn't it? You really can enjoy it for a couple weeks and then you have to get back to work and forget the last one if you want to stay hungry. Just ask all the past champions how tough it is. We have had 31 National Champions and only 6 of them have been able to say they won it the previous year. I am not attacking you or putting you down but I just want you guys to realize that you have to stay hungry and can't really brag because we are in a new year and, unfortunately, have to prove it all over again. Stay hungry! You guys have the talent to stay at or near the top of the FCS. I fully expect Villanova, ASU, and Richmond to all be in the semis this year. I am having a tough time picking my 4th team to make it to the semis.

Good message.

Fortunately, football players play football games ... and AGS posters just cheer at games and post on the internet.

Will GSU players be ready? Will their posters on AGS?

BigHouseClosedEnd
May 8th, 2009, 01:34 PM
I am not putting him down. I just pointed out that I don't see TSN putting him on the Payton list. Hopefully he has a good year and is added to the list.

Why would you be shocked that CAA fans wouldn't know who a player for a Southland Conference team that wasn't playoff eligible is?

smallcollegefbfan
May 8th, 2009, 01:36 PM
I was simply responding to your crack at Eric Ward. By my count, he and Armanti Edwards are the only 2 returning starting QBs this year with rings.

Yes they are. There is no way there are any others as the seniors this year would have been redshirted or seniors in high school the last time a team other than ASU or Richmond has won a NC.

smallcollegefbfan
May 8th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Why would you be shocked that CAA fans wouldn't know who a player for a Southland Conference team that wasn't playoff eligible is?

I see your point but I am surprised because he was a Buchanan finalist and consensus All-American. Maybe I am one of the few who keeps track of all the big time players in every league? With AGS, TSN, CSN, and other national outlets that any of us can access I think all fans need to become aware of the other names. You should check out Hart. He is a great player and does some things that would remind you of Sidbury.

catbob
May 8th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Haha Bryan Wagganer from UNC?

PASS EFFICIENCY Team Cl G Att Cmp Int Pct. Yds TD Eff.
-------------------------------------------------------------
1. Cameron Higgins WSU SO 14 465 305 13 65.6 4477 36 166.4
2. Cole Bergquist. UM SR 16 372 226 8 60.8 3165 28 152.8
3. Lance Kriesien. NAU SR 11 182 109 4 59.9 1453 9 138.9
4. Jason Smith.... SAC SO 9 245 138 6 56.3 1824 16 135.5
5. Matt Nichols... EWU JR 11 451 275 14 61.0 3293 21 131.5
6. Drew Hubel..... PSU SO 10 393 226 15 57.5 2912 18 127.2
7. Michael Herrick NAU SO 10 150 97 6 64.7 1043 3 121.7
8. Russel Hill.... ISU SO 10 408 252 15 61.8 2634 14 120.0
9. Waggener, Bryan NC JR 11 397 223 15 56.2 2546 14 114.1
10.Cody Kempt..... MSU SO 9 215 110 12 51.2 1316 9 105.2

The only reason he is on here is because he transferred from Florida.

Ivytalk
May 8th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Interesting Ivy assortment. Penn's PK Samson is the real deal, although he missed a costly, short FG try late in the game last year against Harvard. Matt Luft is an impressive, tall WR who should have a great year for the Crimson. And that Columbia kick returner would be first team if measured by his stats against us!

Hood
May 8th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Hey Hey our punter made it.

Or at least the punter from "Nichols" state made it. I guess that is a sister university to "Nicholls" ?

BEAR
May 8th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Glad to see Larry Hart somewhere on that list...even the bottom of it..xmadxxlolx

Silenoz
May 8th, 2009, 08:06 PM

Oh well.

This

Eaglesrus
May 9th, 2009, 05:02 AM

It wasn't his crack, it was mine, and your statement could be interpreted in a couple of ways; a touch sensitive, maybe?

ur2k
May 9th, 2009, 09:10 AM

Actually you didn't say anything about Eric Ward. I'm not sensitive at all (this is a message board) - I just happen to think that Eric Ward is one of the best QBs in the country. Feel free to disagree with me if you like.

smallcollegefbfan
May 9th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Actually you didn't say anything about Eric Ward. I'm not sensitive at all (this is a message board) - I just happen to think that Eric Ward is one of the best QBs in the country. Feel free to disagree with me if you like.

I think Eric Ward is a solid FCS QB. There are three QBs that you have to rank 1-3.
With the production and past accolades you have to put Cameron Higgins, Armanti Edwards, and Dominic Randolph in the top 3. There is not doubt about that. If you are putting 3 QBs on your All-America list those 3 have to be there. Then there is a drop off and a debate can be made from 4 on down. I think Ward is probably going to be preseason 1st or 2nd team All-CAA by the coaches and that is certainly worth naming him a top 10-12 QB in FCS.

Unfortunately, Ward's game doesn't translate to the NFL. I think he probably runs in the 4.7s or 4.8s and is not a polished enough passer to be a QB. Higgins also has some major things wrong with his game that likely make him a CFL QB and not a NFL prospect either. Edwards and Randolph both are legit NFL prospects who will garner heavy looks this fall.

ur2k
May 9th, 2009, 03:17 PM
I think Eric Ward is a solid FCS QB. There are three QBs that you have to rank 1-3.
With the production and past accolades you have to put Cameron Higgins, Armanti Edwards, and Dominic Randolph in the top 3. There is not doubt about that. If you are putting 3 QBs on your All-America list those 3 have to be there. Then there is a drop off and a debate can be made from 4 on down. I think Ward is probably going to be preseason 1st or 2nd team All-CAA by the coaches and that is certainly worth naming him a top 10-12 QB in FCS.

Unfortunately, Ward's game doesn't translate to the NFL. I think he probably runs in the 4.7s or 4.8s and is not a polished enough passer to be a QB. Higgins also has some major things wrong with his game that likely make him a CFL QB and not a NFL prospect either. Edwards and Randolph both are legit NFL prospects who will garner heavy looks this fall.

I hear what your saying. But I think the best QBs should be judged on their ability to win games and get the best out of their teams, not NFL potential. For example, I think Armanti Edwards may be the best QB at this level but I don't think he will play QB in the NFL b/c he doesn't fit the prototypical NFL QB mold. I would place Armanti Edwards and Eric Ward 1&2 if I were forming a team from scratch. That sad, I wouldn't trade EW for any of the other guys you mentioned.

smallcollegefbfan
May 9th, 2009, 03:47 PM
I hear what your saying. But I think the best QBs should be judged on their ability to win games and get the best out of their teams, not NFL potential. For example, I think Armanti Edwards may be the best QB at this level but I don't think he will play QB in the NFL b/c he doesn't fit the prototypical NFL QB mold. I would place Armanti Edwards and Eric Ward 1&2 if I were forming a team from scratch. That sad, I wouldn't trade EW for any of the other guys you mentioned.

No doubt. I don't think NFL potential should be a heavy influence in ranking the QBs. I think AE changes positions in the NFL whereas I don't think Randolph would but I still don't think you can rank Randolph above him at QB in FCS position rankings.

What about Ward do you personally think is better than Higgins and Randolph from the games you have seen of them? How many times have you seen each QB?

Here is a stat comparison of those 4 QBs in the major categories (Pass Eff., Passing Yards, TD-INT ratio, and completion %, total yards per game, total yards, total TDs)

Armanti Edwards- 170.2, 2902 yds, 30-9, 64.1%, 295.6, 3843 yds, 41 TDs (13 games)
Cameron Higgins- 166.3, 4460 yds, 36-14, 65.5%, 313.1, 4383 yds, 38 TDs (14 games)
Dominic Randolph- 142.4, 3838 yds, 34-17, 65.3%, 356.1, 3917 yds, 38 TDs (11 games)
Eric Ward- 141.5, 2808 yds, 17-7, 64%, 3248 yds, 25 TDs (16 games) (Was not in the top 50 in total yards per game)

GATA
May 9th, 2009, 04:54 PM

If Pat White gets drafted 2nd round then Armanti Edwards SHOULD be a 3rd round pick at the worst. Unless Miami completely botches how they use Pat White...then Armanti's stock will tumble.

eaglesrthe1
May 9th, 2009, 05:14 PM
If Pat White gets drafted 2nd round then Armanti Edwards SHOULD be a 3rd round pick at the worst. Unless Miami completely botches how they use Pat White...then Armanti's stock will tumble.

I don't see A.E. being drafted.

F.A.

smallcollegefbfan
May 9th, 2009, 06:27 PM
I don't see A.E. being drafted.

F.A.

I agree with you. He is 5'11, 181, comes from FCS, and has had injury problems the last two years. Don't see him getting drafted and if he does I would guess he goes 7th round.

blueballs
May 10th, 2009, 07:06 AM
I agree with you. He is 5'11, 181, comes from FCS, and has had injury problems the last two years. Don't see him getting drafted and if he does I would guess he goes 7th round.

He's played a lot of football in the past three years- more than most guys do in an entire career and much of it against really good competition- so the fact that he's been as durable as he has given his size, the type offense App runs and his penchant for not going down or out of bounds is truly an amazing thing.

No way he gets drafted though...

smallcollegefbfan
May 10th, 2009, 02:38 PM
He's played a lot of football in the past three years- more than most guys do in an entire career and much of it against really good competition- so the fact that he's been as durable as he has given his size, the type offense App runs and his penchant for not going down or out of bounds is truly an amazing thing.

No way he gets drafted though...

Yes he has certainly played a lot of snaps and the last two years and I just meant that the fact he has had some injuries probably concerns NFL teams. I could see someone drafting him but that will hinge on how Pat White does, if AE can stay healthy, and if he can keep up the level of production.

ur2k
May 11th, 2009, 09:00 AM
No doubt. I don't think NFL potential should be a heavy influence in ranking the QBs. I think AE changes positions in the NFL whereas I don't think Randolph would but I still don't think you can rank Randolph above him at QB in FCS position rankings.

What about Ward do you personally think is better than Higgins and Randolph from the games you have seen of them? How many times have you seen each QB?

Here is a stat comparison of those 4 QBs in the major categories (Pass Eff., Passing Yards, TD-INT ratio, and completion %, total yards per game, total yards, total TDs)

Armanti Edwards- 170.2, 2902 yds, 30-9, 64.1%, 295.6, 3843 yds, 41 TDs (13 games)
Cameron Higgins- 166.3, 4460 yds, 36-14, 65.5%, 313.1, 4383 yds, 38 TDs (14 games)
Dominic Randolph- 142.4, 3838 yds, 34-17, 65.3%, 356.1, 3917 yds, 38 TDs (11 games)
Eric Ward- 141.5, 2808 yds, 17-7, 64%, 3248 yds, 25 TDs (16 games) (Was not in the top 50 in total yards per game)

You can make stats say what ever you like. The stats I like for Eric Ward are 30-10 W-L over three years as a starter and 6-1 in playoff games.

Full disclosure, I haven't seen Higgins or Randolph play - but I don't get a lot of the Big Sky and Patriot League games on TV in Virginia.

smallcollegefbfan
May 11th, 2009, 10:46 AM
You can make stats say what ever you like. The stats I like for Eric Ward are 30-10 W-L over three years as a starter and 6-1 in playoff games.

Full disclosure, I haven't seen Higgins or Randolph play - but I don't get a lot of the Big Sky and Patriot League games on TV in Virginia.

I thought the individual numbers for the others were better but I had no clue how much better so I looked them up to compare. For all I knew Ward could have had comparable stats and thus given more reason to say he is as good as the others. One thing to remember is that for any individual's numbers that they always hinge somewhat on the talent around them, for better or for worse.

10 losses over 3 years is an average of 3 losses per year and is really not that great. His playoff record, the other record you brought up, is what I am impressed by. Although, you must admit the defense was dominant in their 4 playoff wins this year, giving up just 10, 13, 20, and 7 points in those games. That comes out to only giving up 12.5 points per game. I do think he is a good player and his intangibles are what make him a good player as much or more than his physical attributes. He doesn't have great speed and he is not lights out throwing the football. Sometimes he surprises me how he gets it done, but he gets it done. There is nothing wrong with that.

I try not to say a certain player is better than another until I have seen them play. You should certainly see the others and see what you think. I would also remember that you need to see more than one game to know how good a player is. The best example I saw late in the season was Armanti Edwards tearing up Wofford and then he threw, what, 7 picks against Richmond? If the best QB in the nation can have contrasting games, anyone can. Another example would be that Higgins put up 369 yards and 3 TDs against Idaho State in a win and then the week later he had 4 INTs and 1 TD against EWU in a loss.

ur2k
May 11th, 2009, 11:15 AM
It's tough at the FCS level to see all or most of the players just due to lack of national tv exposure. I agree with most of what you say, but am sticking up for our QB.

The tough part about the national awards is that (I believe) most of it is just based on stats which can be somewhat misleading. For example - would Randolph put up those big numbers in the Southern or CAA, or Big Sky which are tougher conferences than the PL?

Ward's numbers aren't gaudy but he gets it done. The crazy 5ot game vs Delaware, the "Drive" to win in the semis at UNI in the dome, playing well in Boone in the playoffs the last 2 years, catching a pass in the NC game. I don't know if a lot of QBs can deliver in those situations.

smallcollegefbfan
May 11th, 2009, 11:25 AM
It's tough at the FCS level to see all or most of the players just due to lack of national tv exposure. I agree with most of what you say, but am sticking up for our QB.

The tough part about the national awards is that (I believe) most of it is just based on stats which can be somewhat misleading. For example - would Randolph put up those big numbers in the Southern or CAA, or Big Sky which are tougher conferences than the PL?

Ward's numbers aren't gaudy but he gets it done. The crazy 5ot game vs Delaware, the "Drive" to win in the semis at UNI in the dome, playing well in Boone in the playoffs the last 2 years, catching a pass in the NC game. I don't know if a lot of QBs can deliver in those situations.

I would like to see Randolph play in a power conference. He is a very good player. I hope Holy Cross makes the playoffs this year so we can see Randolph against a CAA, SoCon, or MVC team.

When the season gets close you should try and record some games outside of the CAA and check out some of those guys. It is fun to see the different styles of play in each league and to see all of the great players.

DLS
May 11th, 2009, 12:12 PM

kid had a shoulder injury in 07 and a hip injury in 08. impressively though, the hip injury never kept him from playing and 08 turned out to be his most productive season. ALSO, handidly winning the payton award.

almost as if he plays better hurt. (superman)

GATA
May 11th, 2009, 12:33 PM

you can't make stats say whatever you want...

I've tried...but for some reason I can't magically change people's stats. They are what they are.

PLLB
May 11th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Pat Simonds (WR) from Colgate should be on that list somewhere

Native
June 1st, 2009, 08:47 PM
Here is a link to the condraft staff. I wonder who the staff member is that posts on here.

Anyone else laugh even more at the validity of the FCS All-America teams after reading the experience of these guys?

http://cdsdraft.com/contact.php

xlolxxlolxxlolx My fingernail clippings have more experience!

crossfire07
June 1st, 2009, 09:45 PM
It's tough at the FCS level to see all or most of the players just due to lack of national tv exposure.

that is true but the NFL does a good job of finding talent in small places.

crossfire07
June 1st, 2009, 09:50 PM
nice little note from a McNeesesports.com article about Pendland and A.E.'s game coming up:

The first pre-sesason all-America football team for the FCS (football championship subdivision) has been announced and McNeese State tailback Toddrick Pendland is a first team pick.

The team was selected by CDS (Consensus Draft Services), an on line service that is now in its sixth year of picking all-America squads.

A senior from Newton, TX, Pendland was named the outstanding offensive player in the Southland Conference last year after running for a school record 1,431 yards and an average of 130.1 yards per game. He ranked sixth in the nation in rushing and he also led the Cowboys in scoring with 90 points and in all-purpose running with a 174.1 yards per game average.

Pendland was also a second team all-American pick by the Associated Press in 2008 as well as an all-Louisiana selection.

Joining Pendland on the first team in the backfield are running back William Ford from South Carolina and quarterback Armanti Edwards of Appalachian State.

Pendland and McNeese State will face Edwards this coming season, the two teams scheduled to play Sept. 12 in Boone, NC.

smallcollegefbfan
June 1st, 2009, 11:03 PM
that is true but the NFL does a good job of finding talent in small places.

Yeah they do. I know for a fact that players don't go without someone looking at them. NFL teams have a very detailed system for finding players and if you have a NFL caliber player on your team, they will see them, regardless of what level they play. xthumbsupx