PDA

View Full Version : Why should your favorite team be preseason top 25 in the AGS Poll?

Syntax Error
May 6th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Is it returning starters?
Is it rising backups?
Is it transfers?
Is it reloading?
Is it the schedule?

Let's get nitty gritty by naming names and reasons.

93henfan
May 6th, 2009, 01:10 PM
If we are, it should be because of this guy and a strong returning D. I'm just not convinced yet that we should be Top 25. It'll take two weeks of regular season to know.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_dPTIZ3CvROA/SQRRYYewbFI/AAAAAAAAAeg/LebEfqZTC-E/s400/a524441f-db2d-4430-9f88-eb4d07cb0d80-big.jpg

Gil Dobie
May 6th, 2009, 01:13 PM
NDSU, maybe just for the reason the trouble-makers and discontents are being weeded out.

Also a Sr QB Mertens, learning from a sub-par season, steps up and has a great year and is a team leader his senior year.

FCS_pwns_FBS
May 6th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Is it rising backups?
Is it transfers?
Is it reloading?
Is it the schedule?

IMO GSU should not be picked as a preseason top-25 but if you like to go with unproven teams that will likely do well this year here is why you might choose GSU...

20th in passing yards in the FCS and top in the SoCon
6 points away from 9-2

These despite playing many freshmen, as evidenced by all of the close games and having a turnover marigin that is 116th in the FCS and being in the top-25 in penalty yards. We also return almost all of our key starters. xthumbsupx

danefan
May 6th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Repost from yesterday:

Albany returns 14 starters (7 on O and 7 on D) and 48 letterman to a team that hasn't lost an NEC game in 2 years and has played some of the best teams in the country tough the last two years.

Returning on offense you have McCarty, the nation's #1 returning rusher, along with an experienced 3-year starter with Vinny Esposito at QB. #1 receiver is back for a 6th year (medical redshirt). Albany lost 3 all-conference o-linemen, but will have 8 returning underclassmen lettermen to fill those gaps. Albany has traditionally been a strong run team and has replaced all-conference O-linemen on numerous occasions. I don't expect anything different this year and by all accounts the linemen surprised many in the Spring.

The defense will get a huge boost with the return of 07 First team NEC safety Dave Nicomini. He missed all of 08 with a knee injury and was awarded a 6th year of eligibility. A major loss on the D-line is Tom Pandoff. He will however be replaced by Trevor Anderson, who at times has been the most dominant D-lineman on Albany, despite rotating in off the bench last year.

Albany has continuously improved against the top competition every year.

If you are going to consider any Patriot, Ivy, or Big South teams for top 25 spots, then I think you have to consider Albany.

Retro
May 6th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Is it rising backups?
Is it transfers?
Is it reloading?
Is it the schedule?

This is why!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z4dZNmSFIM

JMU Newbill
May 6th, 2009, 02:32 PM
I don't think I need to make an argument for JMU.

achrist70
May 6th, 2009, 02:37 PM
An amazing o-line (probably the best in FCS football)
Return the starting QB with the backup with starting experience
A good veteran back with a lot of talented youngsters
A plethora of Talented Wide Outs and Tight Ends
Three defensive lineman with a lot of experience including the conference player of the year
Four linebackers with a lot of game experience
While the the DB's are young they are very talented
One of the best kickers in the country
Two of the best return men in the country

achrist70
May 6th, 2009, 02:38 PM
This is why!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z4dZNmSFIM

Because of Elton John?

SunCoastBlueHen
May 6th, 2009, 02:45 PM
If we are, it should be because of this guy and a strong returning D. I'm just not convinced yet that we should be Top 25. It'll take two weeks of regular season to know.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_dPTIZ3CvROA/SQRRYYewbFI/AAAAAAAAAeg/LebEfqZTC-E/s400/a524441f-db2d-4430-9f88-eb4d07cb0d80-big.jpg

I agree. After a 4-8 season it is hard to justify putting Delaware in any pre-season top 25 poll. I'm cautiously optimistic, though, that the Hens will play their way into the rankings as the season progresses.

401ks
May 6th, 2009, 02:56 PM
It shouldn't.

:o

Redwyn
May 6th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Stony Brook probably shouldn't be there, but this is the season for it to prove itself. It returns a dominant running game, has a high rated JC transfer for QB, and keeps most of its strong defensive unit, especially the secondary. Add to that its first year at maximum scholarships and SBU might surprise a good number this year. All about OOC performance though.

uofmman1122
May 6th, 2009, 07:36 PM
More like, "Why shouldn't Montana be in the top 25?" xlolx xnodx

MaximumBobcat
May 6th, 2009, 08:22 PM
Tx State should be ranked anywhere from #10-#25 in my opinion.

We are definitely more of an offensive team, so let's look at that first. We return our starting Sr. QB, Bradley George. We return one of the best running backs in FCS, Jr. Karrington Bush. We lose playmaker Cam Luke, but we have another playmake, Darren Dillard, So. WR waiting in line to make the big catches. On O-Line, We return starters Calvin Gore and Alex Luna at the two tackle positions and guards D.J. Hall and Winston Ruelas.

On D-Line, the only starter we return is Travis Houston. This will be only the 2nd year for our DC, Fred Bleil. Our fans have put a lot of faith into this coach that his experience will put the right players in place to give us a solid D and get stops to let our offense go to work. As For DBs, well we lost a few Senior DBs that gave us a few rather unspectacular years. We've had a couple highly rated recruits waiting in line for their turn to compete for the Safety and Cornerback positions. I think we will improve in those areas.

http://www.bobcatfans.com/forums/images/smilies/signs.gifhttp://www.bobcatfans.com/forums/images/smilies/eatemup.gif :D

Tribe4SF
May 6th, 2009, 08:22 PM
W&M should be there.

-Finished '08 ranked top 20.
-Return 7 offensive starters, and 8 on defense. All-CAA PK and Punter
-Senior QB RJ Archer showed as well as Jake Phillips in his appearances last year.
-Return the top 9 on the DL, and add talented Bryan Jean-Pierre at DT who missed '08.
-Three headed monster at RB with Jonathan Grimes, Terrence Riggins and Courtland Marriner.

Riggins below.

aceinthehole
May 6th, 2009, 08:42 PM
I would like to see both Lehigh and William & Mary in the preseason Top-25. Any idea where these 2 teams might rank in the preseason?

If Albany could get ranked before they play CCSU, that would be fine with me too. They probably won't make the preseason poll, but could earn it with 2 big non-conference wins.

Tribe4SF
May 6th, 2009, 08:47 PM
I would like to see both Lehigh and William & Mary in the preseason Top-25. Any idea where these 2 teams might rank in the preseason?

If Albany could get ranked before they play CCSU, that would be fine with me too. They probably won't make the preseason poll, but could earn it with 2 big non-conference wins.

You'll probably see W&M in there, but not Lehigh or Albany. Those two will need to play their way in. W&M will probably be in the 15-20 range.

McNeese75
May 6th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Because of Elton John?

xlolx We can use all the help we can get xnodx

My heart says we should be in the top 25 due to Sr skill players but common sense says I will let you know after the third game of the season.

Syntax Error
May 6th, 2009, 09:19 PM
xlolx We can use all the help we can get xnodx

My heart says we should be in the top 25 due to Sr skill players but common sense says I will let you know after the third game of the season.The Poke sandbaggers are in effect!! :D

MR. CHICKEN
May 6th, 2009, 09:21 PM
W&M should be there.

-Finished '08 ranked top 20.
-Return 7 offensive starters, and 8 on defense. All-CAA PK and Punter
-Senior QB RJ Archer showed as well as Jake Phillips in his appearances last year.
-Return the top 9 on the DL, and add talented Bryan Jean-Pierre at DT who missed '08.
-Three headed monster at RB with Jonathan Grimes, Terrence Riggins and Courtland Marriner.

Riggins below.

OH CRAP...xeekx.....DUH WHITTLE HAMLET O' BILLY'SBURGH.....IS LOADED........ER...UH...UM.....xeekx...OH CRAP!!

Tribe4SF
May 7th, 2009, 06:29 AM
OH CRAP...xeekx.....DUH WHITTLE HAMLET O' BILLY'SBURGH.....IS LOADED........ER...UH...UM.....xeekx...OH CRAP!!

xlolx Loaded in spots, at least. OL and WR are somewhat questionable.

Having a strong DL is the biggest advance for this team over the past two years. Beyond the depth, Sean Lissemore is finally healed from shoulder injury, and should realize his potential at DT. Before NFL scouts he recently weighed in at 295, and ran a 4.8 forty.

Lissemore in the center below with fellow co-captains TE Rob Varno, DE Adrian Tracy, SS David Caldwell, and QB RJ Archer.

McNeese72
May 7th, 2009, 07:51 AM
The Poke sandbaggers are in effect!! :D

We didn't even win the "weak" Southland Conference last season!! Why should we be in the preseason Top 25.

I'd rather start out of it and try to play our way in.

Doc

henfan
May 7th, 2009, 08:02 AM
I'd rather start out of it and try to play our way in.

That's a great philosophy, Doctor.xthumbsupx

TSN shouldn't even have a poll until October anyway, since the early polls are meaningless. Every team should be playing their way in, IMO.

Good luck to the Pokes in the Southland in '10.

bluehenbillk
May 7th, 2009, 08:38 AM
For UD:

-You have to start with Pat Devlin, most hyped incoming QB in UD history.
-Josh Baker, TE coming back from one-year suspension, looks better than ever.
-Injury riddled defense from last year coming back healthy, including one of the best DB corps in all of FCS with Graves, Bratton & Walters.
-Plus it's an odd-numbered year, read 2003, 2007, 2 trips to Chatty, you do the math.

MaroonDoom
May 7th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Why? Because they are EKU.

89Hen
May 7th, 2009, 12:19 PM
Is it the schedule?
I certainly hope nobody votes based on schedule pre-season. Either a team is good, or it's not. You can use the schedule as games are played. xpeacex

danefan
May 7th, 2009, 12:23 PM
I certainly hope nobody votes based on schedule pre-season. Either a team is good, or it's not. You can use the schedule as games are played. xpeacex

I believe there are a fair amount of people that vote preseason as a way of "predicting" the best end-of-season poll. In that case the schedule does matter.

I don't vote that way, but I think a lot of people do.

89Hen
May 7th, 2009, 12:26 PM
I believe there are a fair amount of people that vote preseason as a way of "predicting" the best end-of-season poll. In that case the schedule does matter.

I don't vote that way, but I think a lot of people do.
And they should be taken out back and be soundly beaten. :p If they're going to assume wins and losses and that a 9-2 team is better than a 7-4 team with a much tougher schedule... then they should have teams like Harvard, San Diego, Dayton, etc... in their Top 10 every pre-season. We know they're most likely going to go 10-1 or so.

89Hen
May 7th, 2009, 12:27 PM
I agree. After a 4-8 season it is hard to justify putting Delaware in any pre-season top 25 poll. I'm cautiously optimistic, though, that the Hens will play their way into the rankings as the season progresses.
Agreed. The Hens will not be in my Top 25 pre-season. There's plenty of time for them to get there.

Syntax Error
May 7th, 2009, 12:34 PM
TSN shouldn't even have a poll until October anyway, since the early polls are meaningless. Every team should be playing their way in, IMO.
Good luck to the Pokes in the Southland in '10.Who mentioned TSN? This is about the AGS Poll, you know, the most accurate one? :)

danefan
May 7th, 2009, 12:42 PM
And they should be taken out back and be soundly beaten. :p If they're going to assume wins and losses and that a 9-2 team is better than a 7-4 team with a much tougher schedule... then they should have teams like Harvard, San Diego, Dayton, etc... in their Top 10 every pre-season. We know they're most likely going to go 10-1 or so.

But thats how people vote all year long. How else can you explain Harvard as high as they always are. They'll start off this year in the top 20. Its a safe vote - you never have to get proven wrong.

Syntax Error
May 7th, 2009, 12:48 PM
How else can you explain Harvard as high as they always are.Because they consistently produce good teams and NFLers?

danefan
May 7th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Because they consistently produce good teams and NFLers?

So you are voting for teams based on the # of NFL'ers they produce? The SWAC teams should then be in the top 10.

You say they produce good teams, but what objective criteria are you basing that on? Last year I didn't see anything but Patriot League OOC wins. And the PL has almost nothing but Ivy OOC wins.

IMO, you have to vote for the best 25 teams at the moment, regardless of their history and their "brand value".

I'm not sure anyone can explain why Harvard ended up as high as they did last year besides relying on history and name recognition. They did nothing to prove it on the field.

JALMOND
May 7th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Some teams from the Big Sky that could be there (my opinion only)...

Montana---doesn't know the word "rebuilding". Coming off an appearance in the NC game last year. Only slight question may be at QB, but really solid everywhere else.

Weber State---Higgins and Company should have another strong year. Being placed in the same bracket last year as Big Sky brethren Montana did not help to showcase how loaded they were, even after losing Etuati. Higgins and the offense supports the Wildcats traditionally strong defense.

Montana State---Poised for a breakout year after a strong ending last year. Coach Ash has the Bobcats right on the verge heading into the season and good rumblings are coming out of Bozeman. Should at least be top 25.

Northern Arizona---A stretch at the top 25. Comes down to the newcomers performing right away. Still, tradition shows the Jacks won't be down for long, but a preseason top 25 might be a stretch.

Eastern Washington---A much bigger longshot that NAU. A lot of returning players but a disappointing season last year and possibly starting the year on probation does not bode well for the Eagles. Questions as to how they can rebound after last year, or even if they will want to. An extremely long chance to be a preseason top 25.

Portland State, Sacramento State, Northern Colorado, and Idaho State should have no chance of being in the preseason top 25, my opinion only.

ngineer
May 7th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Lehigh could well be a top 25 or even a top 15 this year. We do have a number of ?? that need to produce. No question the talent is there, but will the execution be there, too? All new WRs put on a grand display at the spring game and the qb's were on the money almost all the time, in coverage. Defense is well experienced. Jury out on the PK at this point. So the potential for a PL Championship and in the range of 8-3 to 10-1 is quite possible. Of course, all preseason polls are 'on paper', so 'on paper' we may be close, if not there.

wideright82
May 7th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Villanova should be a top 25 team because the number 1 is in the top 25.

LUHawker
May 7th, 2009, 02:35 PM
You'll probably see W&M in there, but not Lehigh or Albany. Those two will need to play their way in. W&M will probably be in the 15-20 range.

Agreed, Lehigh won't be in the Pre-Season Top 25, but I think there are very good chances they will be there by year-end. I also think a top 15-20 placing is a distinct possibility as well.

Eight Legger
May 7th, 2009, 02:51 PM
If you don't know why Richmond should be in the top 25, you betta axe somebody...

Syntax Error
May 7th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Lehigh, the strongest PL football school ever can never be underestimated.

aceinthehole
May 7th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Agreed, Lehigh won't be in the Pre-Season Top 25, but I think there are very good chances they will be there by year-end. I also think a top 15-20 placing is a distinct possibility as well.

Yeah, but that does CCSU no good. :)

To Dane's point, if CCSU manages to win the opener at Lehigh it will most likely not get the "credit" it's due. Whereas, a Harvard win at Lehigh will somehow be worthy of Top-25 ranking for the Crimson. A road win vs a PL team should carry the same weigh for an NEC team as it does for Ivy squads!

I do think its much clearer that a CCSU upset of ranked W&M team on the road, should be enough for us to earn a top-25 spot.

PapaBear
May 7th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Maine should and will be preseason-ranked in the Top 25. We finished there last year (16th or 18th, no?) and we return nine of 11 starters on offense, plus six of 11 on defense.

That said, pre-season polls aren't worth the cyberspace they take up.

If Maine weren't pre-season ranked, I'd be fine with it. Like someone said earlier, you should have to play your way into a ranking.

The first polls shouldn't come out till Oct 1. You don't know jack about your team or anyoine else's till then.

Syntax Error
May 7th, 2009, 03:06 PM
The first polls shouldn't come out till Oct 1. You don't know jack about your team or anyoine else's till then.BS A lot is known about a team before the first game is played. The only way you don't is if you don't choose to know.

GOKATS
May 7th, 2009, 03:10 PM

Montana---doesn't know the word "rebuilding". Coming off an appearance in the NC game last year. Only slight question may be at QB, but really solid everywhere else.

Weber State---Higgins and Company should have another strong year. Being placed in the same bracket last year as Big Sky brethren Montana did not help to showcase how loaded they were, even after losing Etuati. Higgins and the offense supports the Wildcats traditionally strong defense.

Montana State---Poised for a breakout year after a strong ending last year. Coach Ash has the Bobcats right on the verge heading into the season and good rumblings are coming out of Bozeman. Should at least be top 25.

Northern Arizona---A stretch at the top 25. Comes down to the newcomers performing right away. Still, tradition shows the Jacks won't be down for long, but a preseason top 25 might be a stretch.

Eastern Washington---A much bigger longshot that NAU. A lot of returning players but a disappointing season last year and possibly starting the year on probation does not bode well for the Eagles. Questions as to how they can rebound after last year, or even if they will want to. An extremely long chance to be a preseason top 25.

Portland State, Sacramento State, Northern Colorado, and Idaho State should have no chance of being in the preseason top 25, my opinion only.

Right now the only two BSC teams I'd consider Top 25 are UM and WSU. I can see MSU moving in during the season (possibly before, but I have to see marked improvement between the QB and receivers for that to happen- injuries really limited the skill players in spring ball). The Bobcats 'D' will be damn tough and will keep them in games but the 'O' has to control the ball and put points on the board. If things come together (and getting 5 1/2 schollies back yesterday helps) I expect them to be very competitive this year.

catatac
May 7th, 2009, 03:15 PM

Damn good analysis. Just to add to the case for Montana State:

We went 7-5 last year and the 5 losses came against 2 1A schools and 3 damn good Big Sky teams in Weber, UM, and EWU. We had this successful season despite losing our 2 best receivers, 2 best QB's, and Buchanon candidate defensive end to season-ending injuries. We return most of these players and then some. We will be improved at every position with the possible exception of running back, but have 3 potential stars competing to replace Demertius Crawford. Rob Ash and co. finally had a full year of recruiting and getting their systems in place. The ARP restrictions have been lifted and we are back to full scholarship level. We get the Griz at home. xnodx

Not sure where the pollsters will start us out... but I promise you we'll be well within the top 25 by season's end. :)

elkmcc
May 7th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Who mentioned TSN? This is about the AGS Poll, you know, the most accurate one? :)

Informed fans would realize that neither of the above are unbiased polls. Controlled by biased persons such as ralph and the other writer for TSN neither of these polls can be considered unbiased IMO.

Sad but true.

OL FU
May 7th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Informed fans would realize that neither of the above are unbiased polls. Controlled by biased persons such as ralph and the other writer for TSN neither of these polls can be considered unbiased IMO.

Sad but true.

I can verify that Ralph controlls nothing in the AGS poll. xrolleyesx

OL FU
May 7th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Let me write that a little nicer. I can verify that Ralph does not exert any influence on the AGS Poll committee. The poll committee moderates (incorrectly or correctly, you can take your choice) the ballots which typically consists of asking question and occasionally, raising the ire of certain voters, denies ballots. Ralph does not, in my experience over the last three years, exert any pressure or express an opinion one way or the other regarding the actions of the committee.

PS I speak as a past member of the committee not a present one.

Reign of Terrier
May 7th, 2009, 04:35 PM
because we return a very strong defense and an offense that will cause problems no matter whose returning

GOKATS
May 7th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Let me write that a little nicer. I can verify that Ralph does not exert any influence on the AGS Poll committee. The poll committee moderates (incorrectly or correctly, you can take your choice) the ballots which typically consists of asking question and occasionally, raising the ire of certain voters, denies ballots. Ralph does not, in my experience over the last three years, exert any pressure or express an opinion one way or the other regarding the actions of the committee.

My vote has been questioned a few times, but in nearly every case it was a matter of my not paying attention and when scrolling the teams in the poll I inadvertently clicked the team above or below the one I wanted and I didn't catch it. I did start paying more attention and appreciated the fact that I was allowed to correct my poll rather than show a team that clearly shouldn't have been in the position I had them. Once or twice I had a pick questioned that I firmly believed should be where I had them and when I explained my reasoning all was fine. It did irritate me a bit to have to explain my rationale for a particular pick though.

elkmcc
May 7th, 2009, 04:41 PM

This does not take into consideration that ralph has banned any posters from AGS that he deems as being unworthy. ie: banned posters can't vote. This includes long time posters that go back to escribe days.

If ralph wants to earn respect for his polls he needs to reconsider his banning of long time and well respected posters. Especially long time posters that have close connections to AD's and SID's of influencial programs. Until then he will find that these programs and the media associated with them will not lend any credence to these respective "polls".

paward
May 7th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Richmond Spiders should be #1, because "WE R",......."U R"

elkmcc
May 7th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Damn good analysis. Just to add to the case for Montana State:

We get the Griz at home. xnodx

Not sure where the pollsters will start us out... but I promise you we'll be well within the top 25 by season's end. :)

somebody sure has got a sugar high today xlolx

BEAR
May 7th, 2009, 05:07 PM
UCA will be in the top 25 again...the Bears don't like leaving it. xlolx

Syntax Error
May 7th, 2009, 05:11 PM
If ralph wants to earn respect for his polls he needs to reconsider his banning of long time and well respected posters.Uh oh, looks like an FBS lover is holding the AGS Poll hostage until his imaginary "banned friends" are "freed"! xlmaox

slycat
May 7th, 2009, 05:49 PM
BS A lot is known about a team before the first game is played. The only way you don't is if you don't choose to know.

BS. This is why McNeese was ranked so high at the start of last year and Texas St wasn't even considered. This also goes for teams like Weber State last season.

Granted it can be "easy" to pick some team like Montana and App St that are consistently good.

The only point to a pre-season poll is to stir up discussions before the season starts.

A truly accurate poll would start in October.

slycat
May 7th, 2009, 05:52 PM
Tx State should be ranked anywhere from #10-#25 in my opinion.

We are definitely more of an offensive team, so let's look at that first. We return our starting Sr. QB, Bradley George. We return one of the best running backs in FCS, Jr. Karrington Bush. We lose playmaker Cam Luke, but we have another playmake, Darren Dillard, So. WR waiting in line to make the big catches. On O-Line, We return starters Calvin Gore and Alex Luna at the two tackle positions and guards D.J. Hall and Winston Ruelas.

On D-Line, the only starter we return is Travis Houston. This will be only the 2nd year for our DC, Fred Bleil. Our fans have put a lot of faith into this coach that his experience will put the right players in place to give us a solid D and get stops to let our offense go to work. As For DBs, well we lost a few Senior DBs that gave us a few rather unspectacular years. We've had a couple highly rated recruits waiting in line for their turn to compete for the Safety and Cornerback positions. I think we will improve in those areas.

http://www.bobcatfans.com/forums/images/smilies/signs.gifhttp://www.bobcatfans.com/forums/images/smilies/eatemup.gif :D

Agreed. Texas St should contend for the SLC title and playoffs again this season. The Bobcats will have a top 5 offense in the country. Sure the defense lost a lot but they were weak last season. I believe that with better coaching in its second year can only improve what was very weak defense. With UCA still ineligible, Texas St looks to be the SLC team to beat.

Syntax Error
May 7th, 2009, 06:25 PM
BS.So you actually agree that "You don't know jack about your team or anyoine else's till then [Oct.]"? Seems like admitting ignorance or apathy.

slycat
May 7th, 2009, 06:50 PM
So you actually agree that "You don't know jack about your team or anyoine else's till then [Oct.]"? Seems like admitting ignorance or apathy.

I agree that most voters don't know jack until October so it throws off the poll. Hence the problem with a pre-season poll.

I try to keep up as much as possible in the off season but I don't have time to analyze it all. Once football season starts it makes it much more obvious the direction teams are headed.

bpcats
May 7th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Montana - should be top 5. Will rely on running game early until Selle/Larson settle in. Their defense should be top 1 or 2 in the conference.

Weber State - Should be in top 10. Return big three in Higgins, Smith, and Toone. Their offense is based on establishing a punishing run game and throwing over the top to Toone. Their defense will be looking to replace most of their lb core and most of their secondary. Will be a very physical team.

EWU - Last year they started mostly freshman along the oline and switched their defensive scheme which they didn't take to until most of the season was done. They may be banned from the playoffs but this offense with the return of Nichols, Boyce etc may be the most dangerous in the Big Sky. They gave Texas Tech a better game than most of the Big 12 teams last year. Their defense is still the big question mark but they will probably end up ranked in the top 20 by the end of the season.

NAU - had the most balanced offensive attack last year. Herrick is probably a better passer than Kriesen was. Brought in a lot of talented receivers. Their defensive coordinator left and I don't know how much they will change from their flex defense. A lot will depend on how well their young players on defense develops. May sneak into the top 25 by the end of the season.

Montana State - Reason why they should be ranked around 23-25 range. Return top defense in the conference, and may actually be stronger than last year, return a strong running game and all of their starters along the oline (Miller returns as starter at OT, sat out 2008). May have the best FG kicker in the conference who can hit from 55 yards out depending on conditions. Their dline was decimated last year and was reduced to playing 2nd and 3rd stringers most of the year yet they still were 2nd in conference in sacks. The entire dline is back along with Buck Buchannon award candidate DE Dane Fletcher, Drake transfer D'Alba has stepped up in place of Kolone during the spring, and we are bringing Big 12 talent at defensive tackle in 290lbs NT Kelli'i from Hawaii.

Why MSU won't be in the top 25 - Passing game - we were pathetic last year and didn't show much in the spring. No Demetrius Crawford - the rb's MSU has returning are either bangers or pure speed but not the total package of DC. He made a lot of plays out of nothing. Depth along the oline. During the when the starting Oline was they were able to move the ball. During the Spring game one the starting guards sat out and the oline along with rb gave up 9 sacks. Starting two new cornerbacks.

PSU, Idaho State, Sac State, UNC, will have to play their way into the rankings

McNeese75
May 7th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Agreed. Texas St should contend for the SLC title and playoffs again this season. The Bobcats will have a top 5 offense in the country. Sure the defense lost a lot but they were weak last season. I believe that with better coaching in its second year can only improve what was very weak defense. With UCA still ineligible, Texas St looks to be the SLC team to beat.

I think the Bobcats will have a fine team this year (Top 5 offense remains to be seen). I realize you have George and KB back but the loss of your top receiver will create a challenge and no matter how good the Cat faithful proclaim the other receivers are they will not be the weapon you had last year. The Cowboys are in a similar situation with the returning QB and RB and several experienced receivers but who knows if any of them will step up and be "The Man" this year.

The SLC will be very competitive again this year and hopefully that will project to the national scene.

slycat
May 7th, 2009, 08:54 PM
I think the Bobcats will have a fine team this year (Top 5 offense remains to be seen). I realize you have George and KB back but the loss of your top receiver will create a challenge and no matter how good the Cat faithful proclaim the other receivers are they will not be the weapon you had last year. The Cowboys are in a similar situation with the returning QB and RB and several experienced receivers but who knows if any of them will step up and be "The Man" this year.

The SLC will be very competitive again this year and hopefully that will project to the national scene.

McNeese should good. Whiteheads finally gone right?

slostang
May 7th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Cal Poly loses a lot of it's stars on offense, but they have been consistantly good the last six years. Cal Poly last three or four recruiting classes have been outstanding. They will be young on offense with 6 new starters but they will not lack talent. On defense they returned 8 starters.

Cal Poly does have a new coaching staff, but I have been very impressed so far. I think they have a chance to be very good next year if they can find a productive QB.

Cal Poly's record the last six years:

2003: 7-4
2004: 9-2
2005: 9-4
2006: 7-4
2007: 7-4
2008: 8-3

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 7th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Lehigh should be back in the national spotlight this year. This is the deepest, most skilled team in 4-5 years. There is good reason to believe that 8-3 is a conservative guess and there's potential for better. The matchup with Villanova will be very telling. I think Lehigh can give the Cats a run for their money and even pull the upset.

slycat
May 7th, 2009, 10:13 PM
The only thing more annoying then a serious pre-season poll is the GPI.

I'm all for both but they both should be for fun only and not be taken seriously or into account for a Top 25 poll.

McNeese75
May 7th, 2009, 10:39 PM
McNeese should good. Whiteheads finally gone right?

No actually there is a petition in to the NCAA to see about getting him a 7th year

:D (jk)

ngineer
May 7th, 2009, 11:14 PM

Sad but true.

You have no idea. Our poll at AGS is done BY US. No one person controls anything, and the results of how good our polls have been over the past few years should tell you that.xsmhx

ngineer
May 7th, 2009, 11:18 PM
Lehigh should be back in the national spotlight this year. This is the deepest, most skilled team in 4-5 years. There is good reason to believe that 8-3 is a conservative guess and there's potential for better. The matchup with Villanova will be very telling. I think Lehigh can give the Cats a run for their money and even pull the upset.

While we can all be cockeyed optimists about the Mountain Hawks, I would be very surprised to see us knock off Villanova, at Villanova, so early in the season. I am more interested in a solid opening day performance versus a good CCSU team. A solid convincing win will solidify our optimism and also give the confidence needed to pull a huge upset that a win a 'nova would be. I agree that 8-3/9-2 is a realistic record.

Tribe4SF
May 8th, 2009, 03:24 AM
The matchup with Villanova will be very telling. I think Lehigh can give the Cats a run for their money and even pull the upset.

Pull that upset, and Lehigh will surely jump in the rankings. A PL team beating one of the CAA's best would be a major shocker. Villanova looks like a top 5 team.

skinny_uncle
May 8th, 2009, 03:56 AM
SIU:

Returning starters include 7 on offense and 10 on defense plus both kickers.

OL FU
May 8th, 2009, 07:10 AM
My vote has been questioned a few times, but in nearly every case it was a matter of my not paying attention and when scrolling the teams in the poll I inadvertently clicked the team above or below the one I wanted and I didn't catch it. I did start paying more attention and appreciated the fact that I was allowed to correct my poll rather than show a team that clearly shouldn't have been in the position I had them. Once or twice I had a pick questioned that I firmly believed should be where I had them and when I explained my reasoning all was fine. It did irritate me a bit to have to explain my rationale for a particular pick though.

No problemxthumbsupx The committee questioned mine occasionally tooxeyebrowx:)

I just was clearing up the other posters misconception. Ralph ( whoever that isxsmiley_wix) facilitated the mechanical processes. He did not get involved in the actual ballot review.

bjtheflamesfan
May 8th, 2009, 07:28 AM
LU may have lost a lot of seniors but I really think that this team is destined for good things. Its a pretty tough early schedule (with the exception of West Virginia Wesleyan but there are other reasons for why that game is happening) but I think that LU is looking at a very good year and maybe finally a playoff berth.

elon77
May 8th, 2009, 07:31 AM
Because Elon has 20 out of 22 starters back from last year including the best passing duo in FCS, Riddle and Hudgins. They were in the top 15 most of last year, so why shouldn't they be in the top 25 this year?xnodx

UNHWildCats
May 8th, 2009, 08:04 AM

Sad but true.
biased or not, the AGS poll does have a track record of being the best available poll for FCS.

Wildcat80
May 8th, 2009, 08:36 AM
After another FBS win-at Ball State-we will be moving up. A young OL will mature fast to go with returning stars-QB Toman, TE Sicko, RB Kackert and a vastly improved defense with 7 starters back. Having redshirted alot of kids once they get to see the field we will have many new stars to carry us to the playoffs. Dates with Nova & W&M are already circled. It will all come down to our last game with the Bears. GO CATS!

GOKATS
May 8th, 2009, 09:48 AM
No problemxthumbsupx The committee questioned mine occasionally tooxeyebrowx:)

I just was clearing up the other posters misconception. Ralph ( whoever that isxsmiley_wix) facilitated the mechanical processes. He did not get involved in the actual ballot review.

I got your point, I was backing up what you said.xnodxxthumbsupx

jmufan999
May 8th, 2009, 10:40 AM
i believe we've (JMU) been in the playoffs 4 out of the past 5 years. being in the top 16 teams 4 out of 5 years is a pretty good reason. consistency.

jmufan999
May 8th, 2009, 10:50 AM

they got trounced by Nova last year by 19.... and Villanova's going to be even better this year than they were last year.

so unless Lehigh has DRASTICALLY improved overnight or Nova has some devastating injuries prior to the game, i don't see that happening.

slycat
May 8th, 2009, 04:57 PM
No actually there is a petition in to the NCAA to see about getting him a 7th year

:D (jk)

Feels like hes been around forever causing headaches.

bkrownd
May 8th, 2009, 05:34 PM
'cause we got Marquee Value, baybee!

McNeese75
May 10th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Feels like hes been around forever causing headaches.

You can relax xlolx

http://http://neworleanssaints.com/Articles/2009/5/Whitehead%20Adds%20Local%20Flavor%20to%20Rookie%20 Mini%20Camp.aspx (http://neworleanssaints.com/Articles/2009/5/Whitehead%20Adds%20Local%20Flavor%20to%20Rookie%20 Mini%20Camp.aspx)

ngineer
May 10th, 2009, 07:52 PM
they got trounced by Nova last year by 19.... and Villanova's going to be even better this year than they were last year.

so unless Lehigh has DRASTICALLY improved overnight or Nova has some devastating injuries prior to the game, i don't see that happening.

From what we saw at the Spring Brown & White game, we do look very improved on offense which is where we struggled the first half of last season. We had a rookie QB who underwent a real baptism at Villanova. He has grown significantly in the past year, and with the potential shown by the WRs, we should have a much more potent attack against the Wildcats this year. Yes, 'nova should be favored at home by about 10-14 points, but the game has the potential to be much closer.