PDA

View Full Version : Pre season polls, part two, top 10.

Ronbo
May 6th, 2009, 11:01 AM
In the last thread there was plenty of gab, positioning, and opinion, but no one ventured to predict a top 10. Let's see yours. Come on it's just pre season talk. Who are the best ten teams again? xbowx

Here's my best guess.

1. Appalachian State
2. Richmond
3. Montana
4. James Madison
5. Northern Iowa
6. Villanova
7. Weber State
8. Wofford
9. Southern Illinois
10. Delaware

Gil Dobie
May 6th, 2009, 11:18 AM
I'll take a rough draft stab at it xoopsx

1. JMU
2. Montana
3. UNI
4. App St
5. Nova
6. Wofford
7. New Hampshire
8. South Dakota St
9. Richmond
10. Weber St

TexasTerror
May 6th, 2009, 11:29 AM
1. Richmond
2. Appalachian State
3. Villanova
4. James Madison
5. UNI
6. Montana
7. Southern Illinois
8. Delaware
9. Weber State
10. Wofford

Best of the rest...

UMass
Texas St-San Marcos
Cal Poly

Random mention...

Colgate

OL FU
May 6th, 2009, 11:47 AM
1. Richmond
2. Appalachian State
3. Villanova
4. James Madison
5. UNI
6. Montana
7. Southern Illinois
8. Delaware
9. Weber State
10. Wofford

Best of the rest...

UMass
Texas St-San Marcos
Cal Poly

Random mention...

Colgate

I am liking Villanova and SIU high. Seems like they have alot coming back. xnodx

FCS_pwns_FBS
May 6th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Why Delaware? I mean, I think they've got a winner at QB and could very well finish in the top 10 but isn't it generally against polling etiquette to vote a team that finished the season unranked in the top 10 preseason?

Why not GSU, then? We led the SoCon in passing yards, were 6 total points in regulation away from 9-2, and we did that with a whole legion of freshmen playing.

My top 10:
1. App. State
2. Weber State
3. UNI
4. James Madison
5. Richmond
6. Villanova
7. Montana
8. Southern Illinois
9. Wofford
10. Cal Poly (probably will drop off quickly, but deserves the courtesy anyway)

GannonFan
May 6th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Haven't thought it out that greatly, but a loose top 10 for me...

1. nova
2. Appalachian St.
3. Richmond
4. Montana
5. SIU
6. New Hampshire
7. Wofford
8. UNI
9. Weber St.
10. Delaware

GannonFan
May 6th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Why Delaware? I mean, I think they've got a winner at QB and could very well finish in the top 10 but isn't it generally against polling etiquette to vote a team that finished the season unranked in the top 10 preseason?

When you start bringing up "polling etiquette", you really start diluting your message. Who's to say what's the right way to make a poll - it's an opinion, and if you can support it great. UD's major issue last year, by far, was absolutely no QB. This year, they might have one of the best in the country. It's not unreasonable to say they should be better. If you can say that for GSU, hey, by all means, vote as you like. xthumbsupx

Bill Hanson
May 6th, 2009, 11:55 AM
1. Richmond
2. Appalachian State
3. Villanova
4. James Madison

Seriously??? I would love to get some of what you are smoking. Richmond I can see.....

Try taking those ECB glasses off.xoopsx

GannonFan
May 6th, 2009, 11:57 AM
Seriously??? I would love to get some of what you are smoking. Richmond I can see.....

Since you've already conceded Richmond, why the beef with those teams? nova's going to be the favorite in the CAA this year as they return everyone of note from a team that made the quarterfinals last year, and Appy St still has Armanti Edwards so they're going to be very good for another year. Sure JMU has lost a fair amount and that can be questioned, by 3 of those 4 aren't crazy.

danefan
May 6th, 2009, 12:01 PM
1. Richmond
2. Appalachian State
3. Villanova
4. James Madison
5. UNI
6. Montana
7. Southern Illinois
8. Delaware
9. Weber State
10. Wofford

Best of the rest...

UMass
Texas St-San Marcos
Cal Poly

Random mention...

Colgate

See TT this is why I get angry. What in the world makes you think that Colgate is a top 25 team in 2009?

They weren't a great team last year and they lost almost their entire o-line (all all-conference o-linemen), halfback and fullback from 08.

If any team from the PL is a top 25 team it would be Holy Cross, but even HC is a 20-25 at best.

appmaj
May 6th, 2009, 12:02 PM
1. Appalachian State
2. Montana
3. JMU
4. NIU
5. Richmond
6. Wofford
7. Nova
8. Delaware
9. SIU
10. Cal Poly

JMU Newbill
May 6th, 2009, 12:02 PM
1. Villanova
2. Richmond
3. Montana
4. SIU
5. App State
6. Weber
7. Cal Poly
8. Wofford
9. Elon
10. UNI

15. JMU

JMU Newbill
May 6th, 2009, 12:04 PM
I still think Elon could steal the SoCon this year.... but I can't rank them above App or Wofford preseason.

FCS_pwns_FBS
May 6th, 2009, 12:22 PM
When you start bringing up "polling etiquette", you really start diluting your message. Who's to say what's the right way to make a poll - it's an opinion, and if you can support it great. UD's major issue last year, by far, was absolutely no QB. This year, they might have one of the best in the country. It's not unreasonable to say they should be better. If you can say that for GSU, hey, by all means, vote as you like. xthumbsupx

Don't follow polls very closely, but has there ever been a team (in the AGS poll or other media or coaches poll) that finishes one season 3+ games under 0.500 and is then a preseason top 10 the next season? Even in the better conferences? And I think Devlin will be good, but he may need time to adjust to a new system and may get off to a slow start.

As far as GSU goes, I think the biggest handicap most of the season was the OL which early was getting dominated by Austin Peay's DL and improved by leaps and bounds over the season. That and the inconsistanties from playing many freshmen. Both problems will be gone this year.

Both teams could see the top 25 this year but I wouldn't put them there. Just my 2¢.

Ronbo
May 6th, 2009, 12:27 PM
The reason I see Delaware moving up is because that's their MO. They are up one year, down the next, and then right back up again.

Umass74
May 6th, 2009, 12:43 PM
UNH should be given serious consideration.

They return nine starters on defense.

UNH's offense was second in the CAA in total offense and scoring last year. They were significantly better in scoring (37.2 ppg) than Richmond (32.2), William and Mary (30.4) and Villanova (28.2).

They have their skill players QB (Tolman) and RB (Kackert) and an All-American candidate at TE (Sicko) all back.

The Cats are going to be a load again this year.

PaladinFan
May 6th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Yeah, I certainly don't agree with ranking Delaware in the top 10.

I also don't think Colgate really deserves mention either. A mediocre Furman team clubbed them at their place last season.

Gil Dobie
May 6th, 2009, 01:14 PM

UNH's offense was second in the CAA in total offense and scoring last year. They were significantly better in scoring (37.2 ppg) than Richmond (32.2), William and Mary (30.4) and Villanova (28.2).

They have their skill players QB (Tolman) and RB (Kackert) and an All-American candidate at TE (Sicko) all back.

I had the same thoughts, UNH should have a great season.

elon77
May 6th, 2009, 01:18 PM
xnodxxnodx
I still think Elon could steal the SoCon this year.... but I can't rank them above App or Wofford preseason.

You should at least think about it, they have just about everyone back and lots more depth. They can go 4 or 5 deep at running back, everyone on the offensive line are either 3 or 4 year starters, the wide receivers are pretty dang good anchored by T. Hudgins, and the defense returnes everyone but one DB. They lost both kickers from last year which could cause problems, but if QB Scott Riddle has a good year they could certainly be in the mix. They don't need a late season collapse like they have had the last two years, but maturity and depth will hopefully help that. Thanks for considering them, you are about the only one who thinks they should be in the top ten which I think is crazy. But who knows, anything can happen!

blukeys
May 6th, 2009, 01:36 PM

Other than Montana. When was the last time a team west of the Mississippi won a NC????

It ain't bias if it is the truth. xnodxxnodxxnodxxnodxxnodx

OL FU
May 6th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Villanova
ASU
Richmond
SIU
Montana
UNH
UNI
Weber State
JMU
Elon

Elon has had practically (I know there are changes) the same team for two years and this will be the third. I don't think they fall apart at the end of the season.

Still could mix and match, still could add Wofford and drop Elon.

Gil Dobie
May 6th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Other than Montana. When was the last time a team west of the Mississippi won a NC????

Been a while since anyone north of the Mason/Dixon line won too. xoopsx

putter
May 6th, 2009, 03:05 PM

Please don't start THIS argument again......xcoolx

BigHouseClosedEnd
May 6th, 2009, 03:23 PM
1. App State - Too much talent. Chip on their shoulders from last year.
2. Villanova - Return pretty much everyone from last year.
3. Richmond - Can they handle the target on their chest? Lose the DE's.
4. UNI - My darkhorse to win the title next year. Return a lot plus, plus they have a bitter taste in their mouth from the way last year ended.
5. Montana - Don't know much about their team next year, but they always reload.
6. UNH - Returns a ton from last year. Benefits again from not having to play the UR, JMU, Delaware half of the CAA South.
7. SIU - Returns a ton.
8. Weber State - Ditto.
9. Elon - Ditto. Will be playing with something to prove.
10. Delaware - Adding Devlin makes them an instant contender.

UNHWildCats
May 6th, 2009, 03:28 PM
I had the same thoughts, UNH should have a great season.
with any luck we can avoid UNI in the playoffs xlolxxlolx

UNHWildCats
May 6th, 2009, 03:29 PM
4. UNI - My darkhorse to win the title next year. Return a lot plus, plus they have a bitter taste in their mouth from the way last year ended.
5. Montana - Don't know much about their team next year, but they always reload.
6. UNH - Returns a ton from last year. Benefits again from not having to play the UR, JMU, Delaware half of the CAA South.
7. SIU - Returns a ton.
8. Weber State - Ditto.
Please dont throw that around... UNH has ade the playoffs for the past five seasons, they have proven they can win regardless of what half of the South they are playing....

mcveyrl
May 6th, 2009, 03:32 PM
I'm not sure of my order yet, but by conference...

Richmond
Villanova
UNH
Montana
Weber State
ASU
Elon
SIU
UNI
Cal Poly (we'll see...)

JMU will be in my top 15, as will Delware and probably Wofford.

EDIT: It also looks like JMU will be pretty overrated in the AGS poll (if this small sample is any indication). Keep in mind that it's not just Landers that we're losing, but a couple of talented and experienced O-linemen. I'm not saying they can't prove themselves on the field, but until they've done that, there's no reason to rank them so high.

Big Al
May 6th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Dropping UNI out of the top five I can forgive, but ranking them behind Southern Illinois?!

xeyebrowx

Villanova
ASU
Richmond
SIU
Montana
UNH
UNI
Weber State
JMU
Elon

Elon has had practically (I know there are changes) the same team for two years and this will be the third. I don't think they fall apart at the end of the season.

Still could mix and match, still could add Wofford and drop Elon.

BigHouseClosedEnd
May 6th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Please dont throw that around... UNH has ade the playoffs for the past five seasons, they have proven they can win regardless of what half of the South they are playing....

I had to throw something out there to generate a response, no? It was just like putting some bait on the hook!

OL FU
May 6th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Dropping UNI out of the top five I can forgive, but ranking them behind Southern Illinois?!

xeyebrowx

Hey, it is pretty easy to switch at this pointxlolx

Didn't they beat UNI last year? Don't they have their entire team coming back? ARen't pre-season polls the time to take a chancexlolx

Green26
May 6th, 2009, 03:58 PM
That was a good top 10, Ronbo. I would put Richmond on top. They were obviously very good last year, and return alot of players. While I think Montana will probably be about no. 3 in the pre-season polls, it's hard to predict where they will end up at the end of the season. Montana needs to have the new qb turn out to be very good, develop some depth, and have some more of its younger players step up.

crusader11
May 6th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Don't be surprised if Holy Cross cracks into the top 10 by the end of the year. They have a very favorable schedule, albeit a bit week, as UMASS has been replaced with Northeastern and Yale with Sacred Heart. Plus, the two toughest PL opponents we will face are at home this year (Colgate and Lafayette). 11-0 seems very plausible for the regular season, especially with Randolph and virtually the entire offensive line back.

jmufan999
May 6th, 2009, 04:28 PM
WOW! i am absolutely SHOCKED at some of the responses. not for the reasons you might think.

JMU is getting WAY more love than i would have expected from non-JMU fans, but the JMU fans don't believe in the Dukes (as much), it seems! i think you guys are right to put JMU in the preseason top 5, and i'm impressed that you didn't say "well, they lost Landers, they're done."

we're not.

if you watched Dudzik make plays against Montana, he was lights out (with NO preparation time at all). he didn't lose the game (the interception he threw was not his fault in my opinion), the constant fumbling lost the game (and inability to turn them over). anyway, i can't do a top 10 JUST yet. i'm still debating UR, App State, and Nova for my top spot. probably leaning toward App State, only because losing Logan and Sidbury BOTH has got to have an effect somewhere. if it was one or the other, maybe not. but those two OWNED that national title game. i just watched it again the other day (yes, still have it Tivo'd). i'll have JMU in my top 10, but it could be anywhere in there. i'll need to do a little more reading this summer.

JmuSkinsfan
May 6th, 2009, 04:34 PM
1. Villanova
2. Richmond
3. App State
4. Montana
5. UNI
6. JMU
7. SIU
8. Elon
9. Wofford
10. UNH

mcveyrl
May 6th, 2009, 04:52 PM
WOW! i am absolutely SHOCKED at some of the responses. not for the reasons you might think.

JMU is getting WAY more love than i would have expected from non-JMU fans, but the JMU fans don't believe in the Dukes (as much), it seems! i think you guys are right to put JMU in the preseason top 5, and i'm impressed that you didn't say "well, they lost Landers, they're done."

we're not.

if you watched Dudzik make plays against Montana, he was lights out (with NO preparation time at all). he didn't lose the game (the interception he threw was not his fault in my opinion), the constant fumbling lost the game (and inability to turn them over). anyway, i can't do a top 10 JUST yet. i'm still debating UR, App State, and Nova for my top spot. probably leaning toward App State, only because losing Logan and Sidbury BOTH has got to have an effect somewhere. if it was one or the other, maybe not. but those two OWNED that national title game. i just watched it again the other day (yes, still have it Tivo'd). i'll have JMU in my top 10, but it could be anywhere in there. i'll need to do a little more reading this summer.

Like I said, my reasoning is not based solely on the loss of Landers, but also the loss of Apted, Haywood, etc. Particularly Apted. He's hard to replace. It's hard for me, not having seen the replacements against live competition, to say we're still a Top 10 caliber team.

Also, the rest of the conference, particularly our division, is projected to be really good. According to your rankings (and mine), there's already two losses to UR and Nova on the schedule. Then, add in Maryland, and we've got to win out to make the playoffs (no easy task in the CAA). Given how other teams perform, we will have to be much better than expected to be in the Top 10 at the end of the year.

ur2k
May 6th, 2009, 04:56 PM
7. SIU - Returns a ton.
8. Weber State - Ditto.

Agree on most of that. I can see App or Nova as the #1. Nova was darn impressive the last 2 years and lose nobody. App will come out looking for blood after the way last year ended for them.

I don't think the Chickens should be in the top 10 going into the year, but could be there by the time the year ends. I would take the Tribe over them going into the year.

crunifan
May 6th, 2009, 05:21 PM
1. Appalachian State
2. Montana
3. JMU
4. NIU
5. Richmond
6. Wofford
7. Nova
8. Delaware
9. SIU
10. Cal Poly

I have to do it. Can't...control...myself...

UNI. UNI. UNI.

Heck, you even played us in the national championship a few years ago. NIU is a FBS school located in Dekalb, Illinois.

achrist70
May 6th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Hey, it is pretty easy to switch at this pointxlolx

Didn't they beat UNI last year? Don't they have their entire team coming back? ARen't pre-season polls the time to take a chancexlolx

The game is in Cedar Falls this year.

achrist70
May 6th, 2009, 06:36 PM
1. App. State
2. Richmond
3. UNI
4. Montana
5. James Madison
6. New Hampshire
7. Nova
8. SIU
9. Elon
10. Weber State

Oh Wait I forgot about Dayton!xrolleyesx

Hoyadestroya85
May 6th, 2009, 06:56 PM
app state is definitely gonna be number one.. but for the sake of a chip on the shoulder.. i want villanova to be unranked!

Reign of Terrier
May 6th, 2009, 07:20 PM
In the last thread there was plenty of gab, positioning, and opinion, but no one ventured to predict a top 10. Let's see yours. Come on it's just pre season talk. Who are the best ten teams again? xbowx

Here's my best guess.

1. Appalachian State
2. Richmond
3. Montana
4. James Madison
5. Northern Iowa
6. Villanova
7. Weber State
8. Wofford
9. Southern Illinois
10. Delaware

Not to say these rankings are wrong (not just yours) but doesn't it seem that when we rank our preseason FCS teams it seems to be a name game as oppose to how they played last year/starters returning?

the bolded teams are the ones I have no doubt in my mind should be ranked top 10 or 5 but the others I'd have to look at again

(I appreciate the Wofford respect :D)

Reign of Terrier
May 6th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Top 5:

1. App
2. Villanova
3. Richmond
4. Elon
5. UNH

uofmman1122
May 6th, 2009, 07:56 PM
1. ASU - Stellar team, but I think this is the last year that they're on the top in the Socon.
2. 'Nova - Gotta be #1 in the CAA this year.
3. Richmond - If not 'Nova, Richmond will be #1.
4. Montana - If our QB turns out to be lights out, I'd put us at #1 or #2, but even if he doesn't, we've got a good enough defense and running game to make another run.
5. UNI - I was really hard on them last year, and they proved me wrong.
6. JMU - I'm not sold on JMU, but they should be good. Their defense was pretty bad against us last year, and they definitely need to work on some fundamentals.
7. Weber State - Higgins is a beast. I honestly think he'll win the Payton this year. Still won't beat the Griz, though. xlolx :p
8. SIU - Seem to have been under UNI's shadow the past two years. With a boatload of talent, perhaps they can be the #1 MVFC team.
9. UNH - Good showing last year, though I don't know much about them now.
10. Wofford - Continuing to get better. If their defense can create something this season, they might edge ASU for the conference championship.

WMTribe90
May 7th, 2009, 12:10 AM
1) ASU
2) Nova
3) UNI
4) Montana
5) UR
6) UNH
7) Weber St
8) JMU
9) SIU
10) Wofford

Green26
May 7th, 2009, 03:38 AM
Not that I'm disagreeing, but why would App St be no. 1?

Henwatcher
May 7th, 2009, 04:32 AM
1. Richmond
2. Appalachian State
3. Montana
4. Villanova
5. Northern Iowa
6. James Madison
7. Wofford
8. Southern Illinois
9. Weber State
10. New Hampshire

elkmcc
May 7th, 2009, 03:42 PM
With all due reapect, anyone that would have Montana less than top five is not paying attention and hasn't paid attention for the last 15 years.

darell1976
May 7th, 2009, 05:25 PM
When North Dakota beats Texas Tech in the greatest upset in sports history i expect the Sioux to be #1.xsmiley_wixxlolx

bkrownd
May 8th, 2009, 05:54 PM
1) UMass xrotatehx
2) University of Massachusetts xcoolx
3) ZooMass!!1! xthumbsupx
4) Univ. of Massachusetts, Amherst xpeacex
5) The University Formerly Known As "Massachusetts Agricultural College" :p
6) Mass Aggies :D
7) UMass J.V. Squad xoopsx
8) The Power And Class Of New England xbowx
9) The McGuirk Maulers xmadx
10) Hahvahd xreadx

ngineer
May 8th, 2009, 11:03 PM
Don't be surprised if Holy Cross cracks into the top 10 by the end of the year. They have a very favorable schedule, albeit a bit week, as UMASS has been replaced with Northeastern and Yale with Sacred Heart. Plus, the two toughest PL opponents we will face are at home this year (Colgate and Lafayette). 11-0 seems very plausible for the regular season, especially with Randolph and virtually the entire offensive line back.

Why were those games changed? Could really hurt if they stub their toe...say at Goodman Stadium;), and then will be 'on the bubble' come November 22.

ngineer
May 8th, 2009, 11:05 PM
'Nova seems to be loaded with 19 starters returning from a team that was so close to beating JMU last year, and gave West Virginia all it could handle. I'm inclined to give them my #1, ....which will set up tremendous upset on September 12!!;)

crusader11
May 9th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Why were those games changed? Could really hurt if they stub their toe...say at Goodman Stadium;), and then will be 'on the bubble' come November 22.

Yale dropped us in favor of Albany. I think the series with UMASS may have either ended, or is taking a two year break. Either way, this is the year to get it done. Life after Dom will certainly be difficult.

blukeys
May 10th, 2009, 10:20 PM
Please don't start THIS argument again......xcoolx

Putter I was responding to post #8 which I quoted in my post. I quoted the specific poster because I was responding solely to him and not the entire Western part of the country.

Anytime someone accuses another poster of East Coast bias for simply expressing an opinion, (An opinion backed up by playoff success of 3 of the 4 teams mentioned) I will be more than willing to respond. Especially since response #8 offered no factual reasons for not having the top 4 teams from the East

Instead post #8 accused someone of smoking something to arrive at their top 4 teams.

I am more than willing to back off the East v West thing provided individuals are not accused of bias for simply expressing an opinion. Read Post #8 and tell me who is starting what argument.

blukeys
May 10th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Been a while since anyone north of the Mason/Dixon line won too. xoopsx

Depends on where you see the Mason Dixon line. You could say Delaware in '03. Or you could say Delaware is not north of the Mason/ Dixon Line. That topic is worth a thread in the Lounge. It does not have a simple answer.

89Hen
May 11th, 2009, 08:49 AM
Too many people with Delaware in there. I don't know how a 4-8 team can be top 25 let alone top 10. xsmhx xconfusedx

Lots of love for UNH too. I know they've had a good run making the playoffs and I will certainly give them consideration, but the strength of the CAA right now is in the South. UNH is 2-4 vs the South the last two years. xeyebrowx

WMTribe90
May 11th, 2009, 09:35 AM
UNH is 2-4 vs the South the last two years.

Without looking, I'm guessing all four were against CAA South teams that were in the top 25 and two or three of them were probably against top 10 teams. I think they're a top10 team going in the season. Can't see having UD any higher the 20 until we see Delvin and the OL perform in a game or two.

UR and VU - Top 5 (UR, VU or ASU should be #1 to start, good case for all three)
UNH and JMU - Top 10
Maine and WM - Top 20
UMass and UD - Top 25

danefan
May 11th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Yale dropped us in favor of Albany. I think the series with UMASS may have either ended, or is taking a two year break. Either way, this is the year to get it done. Life after Dom will certainly be difficult.

The Yale-Albany game is in 2010, so that wasn't the reason for the HC schedule change in 2009. There was an article that indicated that, but it was erroneous.

jmufan999
May 11th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Like I said, my reasoning is not based solely on the loss of Landers, but also the loss of Apted, Haywood, etc. Particularly Apted. He's hard to replace. It's hard for me, not having seen the replacements against live competition, to say we're still a Top 10 caliber team.

Also, the rest of the conference, particularly our division, is projected to be really good. According to your rankings (and mine), there's already two losses to UR and Nova on the schedule. Then, add in Maryland, and we've got to win out to make the playoffs (no easy task in the CAA). Given how other teams perform, we will have to be much better than expected to be in the Top 10 at the end of the year.

good points. another thing to consider is that our schedule will be MUCH easier. how could it possibly be any more difficult than playing the #1, #3, #4, #5, #7, #12 teams.... (and winning all but one)?

someone asked about why App State should be #1... my answer would be because they have the best player in the country right now at the most important position in football. plus he's a senior with tons of playoff experience. i don't trust App State's defense (and at times, their special teams coverage units [the GA Southern game in 2008 comes to mind if i remember right] ), but i think that offense could be absolutely lethal. as in, SoCon record-setting. especially with Jorden and Quick.

the person that said something about JMU's defense last year... also true. but we lost our star senior LB during the UR game and that hurt for the second half of the year. then we lost our 6'5" D-end (that just signed a 3-year deal with the Redskins) to a season-ending suspension prior to the Villanova playoff game. so we were a little short handed (plus Safety Gerren Griffin almost lost his sight due to a rare eye infection during the year and missed several games). so your point is valid, but we also had a ridiculous schedule and still ended up 21st in overall defense. our DB's will need to step up, though.

89Hen
May 11th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Without looking, I'm guessing all four were against CAA South teams that were in the top 25 and two or three of them were probably against top 10 teams. I think they're a top10 team going in the season. Can't see having UD any higher the 20 until we see Delvin and the OL perform in a game or two.
1-2 both years.

Towson - W
W&M - L
Villanova - L

Delaware - W
JMU - L
Richmond - L

If they're in the South, I think they lose to JMU and UR last year. Like I said, they're obviously a good team, but they would be my #4 team in the South this year and I don' t think the CAA South has 4 top 10 teams. xpeacex

WMTribe90
May 11th, 2009, 11:52 AM
I think UNH playoff wins in recent yearshave proven thay are top ten material even when they lose to ranked teams from the CAA South in season. If UNH is in the south this year I could see them finishing anywhere between 2nd and 6th. They're good enough to beat anybody in the coference and have top ten caliber talent and coaching. If they win the CAA south games they'll likley be top ten, if they lose two of three, they won't. There may very well be four top ten teams in the south of the CAA this year in respect to talent level. Of course, not all four can finish the year ranked in the top ten because someone has to lose when all these teams play each other.

smallcollegefbfan
May 11th, 2009, 02:20 PM
1. ASU - Stellar team, but I think this is the last year that they're on the top in the Socon.
2. 'Nova - Gotta be #1 in the CAA this year.
3. Richmond - If not 'Nova, Richmond will be #1.
4. Montana - If our QB turns out to be lights out, I'd put us at #1 or #2, but even if he doesn't, we've got a good enough defense and running game to make another run.
5. UNI - I was really hard on them last year, and they proved me wrong.
6. JMU - I'm not sold on JMU, but they should be good. Their defense was pretty bad against us last year, and they definitely need to work on some fundamentals.
7. Weber State - Higgins is a beast. I honestly think he'll win the Payton this year. Still won't beat the Griz, though. xlolx :p
8. SIU - Seem to have been under UNI's shadow the past two years. With a boatload of talent, perhaps they can be the #1 MVFC team.
9. UNH - Good showing last year, though I don't know much about them now.
10. Wofford - Continuing to get better. If their defense can create something this season, they might edge ASU for the conference championship.

App won't fall off after losing Edwards. Just like I think JMU will do without Landers, ASU will be a top 5-8 team after Edwards. Just like Landers' backup last year was very good against Montana and App's backup was the SoCon OFF POW against WCU when he had to step in for an injured AE. They have a legit backup who can run and throw like Edwards. Don't be shocked if DeAndre Presley is a star two years down the road. He had 9 touchdowns and just one pick last year.

Yosef84
May 11th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Not that I'm disagreeing, but why would App St be no. 1?

For now, App continues to get included based on the past few years plus the presence of Armanti Edwards as a senior. Of course, I'm hopeful that the Apps actually do wind up #1, but I'm biased.

To answer your question, App had a very good team last year that underachieved in the playoffs because of a very high number of injuries (including Armanti). That's not to say we would have beaten Richmond. I'm not trying to make excuses. I'm just saying that we were in the mix and we certainly could have played better. From that team we lost a total of 5 starters and only 7 from the two-deep.

If App can stay healthy, we will certainly be a factor. In any preseason poll, the it's a crap shoot anyway.

Reign of Terrier
May 11th, 2009, 03:53 PM
App won't fall off after losing Edwards. Just like I think JMU will do without Landers, ASU will be a top 5-8 team after Edwards. Just like Landers' backup last year was very good against Montana and App's backup was the SoCon OFF POW against WCU when he had to step in for an injured AE. They have a legit backup who can run and throw like Edwards. Don't be shocked if DeAndre Presley is a star two years down the road. He had 9 touchdowns and just one pick last year.

App will have a minor drop off, they will go from a top 3 team to a top 5 or 10 team IMO

LUHawker
May 11th, 2009, 04:07 PM
'Nova seems to be loaded with 19 starters returning from a team that was so close to beating JMU last year, and gave West Virginia all it could handle. I'm inclined to give them my #1, ....which will set up tremendous upset on September 12!!;)

I hear ya Brother and think that maybe, just maybe, that upset could happen. However, the smart money is still on VU.

smallcollegefbfan
May 11th, 2009, 04:13 PM
App will have a minor drop off, they will go from a top 3 team to a top 5 or 10 team IMO

Yes I agree. Just making sure people know that they are going to be like JMU and have a capable backup QB behind the star.

PLLB
May 12th, 2009, 09:40 AM

i doubt it the defense is still an issue. My pick in the patriot league and to be ranked is Lehigh. Good young QB and they should be pretty good on defense. Though there secondary play is troubling.

Tribe4SF
May 12th, 2009, 11:23 AM
I hear ya Brother and think that maybe, just maybe, that upset could happen. However, the smart money is still on VU.

All the money will be on Villanova.xnodx

WrenFGun
May 12th, 2009, 01:09 PM
1-2 both years.

Towson - W
W&M - L
Villanova - L

Delaware - W
JMU - L
Richmond - L

If they're in the South, I think they lose to JMU and UR last year. Like I said, they're obviously a good team, but they would be my #4 team in the South this year and I don' t think the CAA South has 4 top 10 teams. xpeacex

You refused to give them due in the poll last year, and now this, again?

UNH returns their top offensive threats (Toman, Sicko and Kackert) and almost the entire defense. If the OL gels, there is no reason UNH won't be in the hunt for #1.

A game with some questionable calls against W&M and a game where some said they outplayed 'Nova are reasons to knock them down? Please.

As an aside, I expect W&M to finish the season in the top 10. I think they're the second best team in the South, behind 'Nova.

89Hen
May 12th, 2009, 01:16 PM
You refused to give them due in the poll last year, and now this, again?

UNH returns their top offensive threats (Toman, Sicko and Kackert) and almost the entire defense. If the OL gels, there is no reason UNH won't be in the hunt for #1.

A game with some questionable calls against W&M and a game where some said they outplayed 'Nova are reasons to knock them down? Please.

As an aside, I expect W&M to finish the season in the top 10. I think they're the second best team in the South, behind 'Nova.
Glad to know my thoughts weigh so heavily on you and the prospects of UNH making it to #1. xrolleyesx xcoolx xcoffeex

Now that I think about it, I may just refuse to put them in the Top 25 just to piss you off.

89Hen
May 12th, 2009, 01:44 PM
My new Top 10

1. Richmond
2. James Madison
3. Villanova
4. Delaware
5. William and Mary
6. Towson
7. UMass
8. Maine
9. Hofstra
10. Rhode Island

GannonFan
May 12th, 2009, 01:49 PM
Now that I think about it, I may just refuse to put them in the Top 25 just to piss you off.

xlolxxlolxxlolx

asu3peat
May 12th, 2009, 02:03 PM
First time doing a pre-season poll

1) Richmond
2) Nova
3) Montana
4) ASU
5) UNI
6) Weber St.
7) SIU
8) Wofford
9) UNH
10) Elon

WrenFGun
May 12th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Glad to know my thoughts weigh so heavily on you and the prospects of UNH making it to #1. xrolleyesx xcoolx xcoffeex

I don't think I'll ever recover from such a critical blow. No surprise, though, people were chomping at the bit for UNH to be 8-3 last year so that they could keep them out of the playoffs.

Chi Panther
May 12th, 2009, 02:37 PM
I don't think I'll ever recover from such a critical blow. No surprise, though, people were chomping at the bit for UNH to be 8-3 last year so that they could keep them out of the playoffs.

If it will make any of the UNH fans feel better.....UNI's 2 FCS losses last year came by a total of 4 points, one by a Richmond TD with 14 seconds left...and a walk off FG by SIU after a TO.

89Hen
May 12th, 2009, 03:05 PM
You remind me a lot of umassfan. Heaven forbid anyone have something besides glorious things to say about your team. Let me guess, you're 22-24 years old?

Houndawg
May 18th, 2009, 09:20 PM
I am liking Villanova and SIU high. Seems like they have alot coming back. xnodx

xnodx Ten starters on D, seven on O.

Houndawg
May 18th, 2009, 09:29 PM

xeyebrowx

You lost to them last year when they were picked to finish fifth in the conference.xeyebrowx

BigHouseClosedEnd
May 18th, 2009, 09:50 PM

Don't discriminate against UD, JMU, UR because you didn't get an opportunity to lose them last year ... and won't again this year. xrulesx

UNHWildCats
May 18th, 2009, 11:14 PM
My new Top 10

1. Richmond
2. James Madison
3. Villanova
4. Delaware
5. William and Mary
6. Towson
7. UMass
8. Maine
9. Hofstra
10. Rhode Island
wow... poor Northeastern xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

89Hen
May 19th, 2009, 07:34 AM
wow... poor Northeastern xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx
They're #11. xsmiley_wix

griz&beer
May 21st, 2009, 12:44 PM
1. Villanova
2. Richmond
3. Montana
4. SIU
5. App State
6. Weber
7. Cal Poly
8. Wofford
9. Elon
10. UNI

15. JMU

This is a good poll. , JMU and UNi up ...SIU & Elon down.

BDKJMU
May 21st, 2009, 12:52 PM

Why? Wofford only has 9 starters back (from their last game with JMU). Elon has 18 back. I have Elon at 6 and Wofford at the bottom of my top 25. I think a lot of people are putting them in the top 10 just based on last yr.

BDKJMU
May 21st, 2009, 01:00 PM

Make that 8. They show 3 seniors in their game notes starting on defense vs UNI: 2 LBs (Parent & Duper) + the free safety Clements. They show only 5 starters returning on offense, so make that 13 overall. Lose 4 starting o-lineman, but with Tolman, Klackert & Sicko back, they'll be good. I've got them 10th.

BDKJMU
May 21st, 2009, 01:02 PM

xeyebrowx

Didn't they beat UNI last year and they show 17 starters back from their last game.

BDKJMU
May 21st, 2009, 01:10 PM
Here's my completely meaningless pre season top 10:
1. UR
2. ASU
3. Villanova
4. SIU
5. UNI
6. Elon
7. Montana
8. Weber
9. UNH
10. Cent Ark

JMU unranked

89Hen
May 21st, 2009, 01:20 PM
1. UR (16)
2. ASU (17)
3. Villanova
4. SIU
5. UNI (13)
6. Elon
7. Montana
8. Weber
9. UNH
10. Cent Ark

JMU unranked
I'm OK with most of that. Not sure about Elon and UCA though. xreadx

MaroonDoom
May 21st, 2009, 01:28 PM
Didn't the OVC have three (EKU, UTM & JSU)?

BDKJMU
May 21st, 2009, 04:10 PM
Course every time I've come up with my own little pre season poll the last couple of seasons I've asked myself "Why did I just waste time doing that?" xconfusedx My poll, everyone else's poll, the magazine & website polls, none of them are worth the paper they're written on. They're meaningless. A month into the season everyone's pre season poll will be complete junk. If I was in charge of things there would be no official (AGS, Sporting News, Coach's, etc) polls till Oct 1st.

And for all the people who think their team deserves to be in the pre season top 5 or top 10 or top whatever in this poll and that poll and get bent out of shape when they're not, why? As long as we're going to have these meaningless preseason polls You should want you're team to be pre season ranked as low as possible. To not have as much pressure from very high expections, to have a chip on their shoulder about a lack of respect and to sort of sneak up on people.

I've never participated in the AGS poll because you have to do a meaningless pre season one and polls in Sept, but if I did participate I might even have JMU unranked since I want them to be ranked as low as possible. The higher you're ranked, the more of a target you have on you're back, because most of the fans, and a lot of the players, do pay attention to these meaningless pre season polls.

rancher griz
May 22nd, 2009, 12:27 AM
I'm not really sure what JMU is losing beside Landers, but if that's the concern I wouldn't drop them. The backup that came in the semifinal game after Landers went out seemed to be a gamer and was more effective against our defense than Landers was. If he was that effective as a back up, imagine what he'll be able to do with full rein.

I have a feeling ASU will be very tough. The Michigan game was a program changer that immediatly boosts recruiting, moreso than a national championship. Programs that can recruit and have good coaching as ASU does, is always able to fill holes and perceived weaknesses.

Weber State scares the heck out of me. They could be almost impossible to stop on offense this year if everything works out right. I'm sure they'll be hungry to try and stomp us.

Richmond can eat it. xsmiley_wix

GoBlueHens83
May 22nd, 2009, 01:44 AM
1 Richmond
2 Appalachian State
3 Villanova
4 Montana
5 James Madison
6 Northern Iowa
7 Wofford
8 Weber State
9 Southern Illinois
10 Cal Poly

phillyAPP
May 22nd, 2009, 08:55 AM
Why? Wofford only has 9 starters back (from their last game with JMU). Elon has 18 back. I have Elon at 6 and Wofford at the bottom of my top 25. I think a lot of people are putting them in the top 10 just based on last yr.

Why Wofford??

1- They have a very good coach.
2- They have a track record of reloading.
3- They are PROVEN tough
4- They know how to WIN.
5- Elon has NOT won the big games,yet
6- To count out Wofford would be a very big mistake.

BDKJMU
May 22nd, 2009, 10:22 AM
Why Wofford??

1- They have a very good coach.
2- They have a track record of reloading.
3- They are PROVEN tough
4- They know how to WIN.
5- Elon has NOT won the big games,yet
6- To count out Wofford would be a very big mistake.

I agree with #1

There is probably only a few teams in the country that can "reload" at the the I-AA level (ASU is one of them).

#3 & #4 are cliches. I could name a lot of teams that are "PROVEN tough" and "know how to WIN" that most people wouldn't vote in this yr's pre season top 10-15.

ANY team that had only 9 starters returning I wouldn't vote in the preseason top 10-15 not matter what they did the yr before unless 4-5 of those players were All Americans or they got a slew of transfers. Especially anyone from the CAA or So-Con, with the only exception maybe ASU.

fuEMO
May 22nd, 2009, 10:25 AM
APP, Elon, Wofford all play at Furman this season. I'll go out on a limb and say a better 09 Furman team. Will take down at least one of the these teams if not two.

andy7171
May 22nd, 2009, 10:39 AM
Agree with 89Hen here - heck, UD fans are among the most pessimistic out there. If the Hens are in the top 25 poll it will be because of voters with no allegiance to UD.

Haven't thought it out that greatly, but a loose top 10 for me...

1. nova
2. Appalachian St.
3. Richmond
4. Montana
5. SIU
6. New Hampshire
7. Wofford
8. UNI
9. Weber St.
10. Delaware

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

ngineer