PDA

View Full Version : I-AA on Around the Horn

CatFan22
November 30th, 2005, 04:33 PM
Kevin Blackistone, on ESPN's Around the Horn today talked about the I-AA playoffs and how great it was. He also mentioned how "the big boys" should follow I-AA. Also, he talked about Texas St. and the "Vince Young" of I-AA, Barrick Nealy. Good to see some good attention being focused on I-AA football.

grizband
November 30th, 2005, 04:45 PM
What was the response from the other people on the show? I used to watch that show all the time, but now I work when its on. Haven't seen it in about 6 months.

griz37
November 30th, 2005, 04:52 PM
What was the response from the other people on the show? I used to watch that show all the time, but now I work when its on. Haven't seen it in about 6 months.

I feel your pain I don't even remember the last time I was able to watch PTI.

KiddBrewer
November 30th, 2005, 05:26 PM
PTI is a close second to Sportscenter for the best show on television. Good to see a show of their caliber talkin about I-AA. Also glad they talked about Nealy as the Vince Young of I-AA. Wish they could have talked about Richie Williams, who has been called by many coaches, including Les Miles of LSU, the "Mike Vick" of I-AA.

griz37
November 30th, 2005, 05:30 PM
PTI is a close second to Sportscenter for the best show on television. Good to see a show of their caliber talkin about I-AA. Also glad they talked about Nealy as the Vince Young of I-AA. Wish they could have talked about Richie Williams, who has been called by many coaches, including Les Miles of LSU, the "Mike Vick" of I-AA.

So he is totally overrated? :nod:

CatFan22
November 30th, 2005, 05:31 PM

Blackistone won the game so it was on the last word. The host (I forgot his name) said he it was excellent.

bobcatfan06
November 30th, 2005, 05:42 PM
Dang, you guys beat me to it. Here is what he said though...

" Let me tell you guys something, you want to watch some real football...watch the I-AA playoffs. The big boys in I-A should be playing like this. Also, tune in this weekend on ESPN2 and watch the Texas State Bobcats. They just beat Georgia Southern this past weekend that cost the head coach job his job too. They have a player named Barrick Nealy who is the Vince Young of I-AA quarterbacks. He had over 400 yards passing and 125 on the ground. The guy is an absolute stud"

That was a total surprise though. But Blackistone is from the Dallas Morning News, Barrick is from Dallas Adamson HS. There was a real good story about BN in the DMN by Blackistone a few days ago. Talked about his rough childhood in Oak Cliff and so on and so forth. Lots of love from KB.

Appstate03
November 30th, 2005, 05:58 PM

I find that statement a put down for Richie Williams. He is a far more accurate passer than Vick was in college, or even now is in the NFL. Vick is just Barry Sanders with a half way decent arm.

catamount man
November 30th, 2005, 07:19 PM
That is awesome stuff! Just got in from the office about 30 minutes ago so I missed it. GO I-AA & GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

FU97
November 30th, 2005, 07:22 PM
I find that statement a put down for Richie Williams. He is a far more accurate passer than Vick was in college, or even now is in the NFL. Vick is just Barry Sanders with a half way decent arm.

Laughable comments. Vick is light years more successful as a QB then Richie Williams will ever be.

beerkat
November 30th, 2005, 07:24 PM
Nealy is the Vince Young of I-AA? xidiotx

bobcatfan06
November 30th, 2005, 07:31 PM
Nealy is the Vince Young of I-AA? xidiotx

Like you would know. You would hate him if he won the Payton. :bang:

Stang Fever
November 30th, 2005, 07:44 PM
Nealy is the Vince Young of I-AA?

I have said the Nealy was a vanilla version of Young from the begining of the season...

blackfordpu
November 30th, 2005, 09:12 PM
They were talking about I-AA playoffs on news radio 97.5 here in Houston the other day. Apparently one of the announcers went to Southern Illinois and another went to App State.

FightinBluHen51
November 30th, 2005, 09:16 PM
Blackistone won the game so it was on the last word. The host (I forgot his name) said he it was excellent.
Toni Rialli (sp?) aka Stat Boy.

Bobcat94
November 30th, 2005, 09:52 PM
Barrick Nealy is the best QB in the State of Texas........

Retro
November 30th, 2005, 10:51 PM

Not counting anyone who plays at that school in Austin between Congress avenue and I-35! :nono:

ASUMountaineer
November 30th, 2005, 10:52 PM
The best QB in the state of Texas is neither Nealy or Vince Young. It's Reggie McNeal--although he's injured.

ASUMountaineer
November 30th, 2005, 10:58 PM
The best QB in the state of Texas is neither Nealy or Vince Young. It's Reggie McNeal--although he's injured.

beerkat
November 30th, 2005, 11:48 PM
It's Reggie McNeal--although he's injured.

you are a little bit closer.....

Barrick Nealy might be closer to being the Reggie McNeal of I-AA, but if you think Nealy is better than McNeal or Young you are certifiably insane

Young is hands down the best QB in Texas

txstatebobcat
December 1st, 2005, 06:37 AM
Barrick had better numbers than Reggie when TxSt and A&M played.

AppGuy04
December 1st, 2005, 07:47 AM

one game doesn't make him better

LacesOut
December 1st, 2005, 07:51 AM
So he is totally overrated? :nod:

LOL Good one.

Nice to see some I-AA respect on national TV.

And BTW, PTI is a great show. Love Tony K. and Wilbon. Crack me up as well as inform me.

texcap
December 1st, 2005, 07:58 AM
Here is the link to the Kevin Blackstone story in the Dallas Morning News about Nealy:

http://www.dallasnews.com/s/dws/spt/columnists/kblackistone/stories/112305dnspoblackistone.d418bd3.html

dirtbag
December 1st, 2005, 09:02 AM

So? Reggie was playing against a tougher defense.

TXST_CAT
December 1st, 2005, 09:10 AM
Nealy has been predicted to be the Fifth QB to go in the draft. It seems many people agree Nealy is the real deal and is bringing a lot of love to DivI-AA from the press that normally wouldn't look this way. I have said it before TXST success is good for DivI-AA. :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

AppGuy04
December 1st, 2005, 09:17 AM
Nealy has been predicted to be the Fifth QB to go in the draft. It seems many people agree Nealy is the real deal and is bringing a lot of love to DivI-AA from the press that normally wouldn't look this way. I have said it before TXST success is good for DivI-AA. :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

by whom? link?

texcap
December 1st, 2005, 09:59 AM
by whom? link?

Mel Kiper, ESPN.com

He is listed at #5. Here is the link to the story in the Atlanta Paper (I don't have an ESPN Insider subscription):

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/uga/1105/16gafoot.html

Most of the article is about UGa's Shockley, but they list Mel Kiper's top five at the bottom. I have listed the list below.

PASSING PROSPECTS

Georgia's D.J. Shockley isn't on Mel Kiper's list of the top five senior quarterbacks in college football:

1. Matt Leinart, USC

2. Jay Cutler, Vanderbilt

3. Brodie Croyle, Alabama

4. Darrell Hackney, UAB

5. Barrick Nealy, Texas State
Source: ESPN.com

AppGuy04
December 1st, 2005, 10:04 AM
Mel Kiper, ESPN.com

He is listed at #5. Here is the link to the story in the Atlanta Paper (I don't have an ESPN Insider subscription):

Most of the article is about UGa's Shockley, but they list Mel Kiper's top five at the bottom. I have listed the list below.

PASSING PROSPECTS

Georgia's D.J. Shockley isn't on Mel Kiper's list of the top five senior quarterbacks in college football:

1. Matt Leinart, USC

4. Darrell Hackney, UAB

if anyone can get the whole list, i'd be interested to see if there are any other I-AA QB's on the list

texcap
December 1st, 2005, 11:30 AM
if anyone can get the whole list, i'd be interested to see if there are any other I-AA QB's on the list

I think that Mel just does the top 5 (his top 5) at every position.

TxState_GO_CATS!
December 1st, 2005, 11:38 AM
So? Reggie was playing against a tougher defense.

hahaha xlolx awesome

blur2005
December 1st, 2005, 12:21 PM
Pretty thin talent this year for the NFL draft. That's not an insult to Nealy, but looking at the fact that Croyle is THIRD and Hackney FOURTH overall would be a good indication of a lean QB group.

grizband
December 1st, 2005, 12:27 PM
Mel Kiper, ESPN.com

PASSING PROSPECTS

1. Matt Leinart, USC

4. Darrell Hackney, UAB

If Brady Quinn, from Notre Dame, decided to go out for the draft, I think he would have to be on this list.

AppGuy04
December 1st, 2005, 12:29 PM
If Brady Quinn, from Notre Dame, decided to go out for the draft, I think he would have to be on this list.

he'd be #2

Charlie Whitehurst?

Appstate03
December 1st, 2005, 12:33 PM
Brady Quinn is #1 in the minds of most pro teams if he comes out.

ASU Kep
December 1st, 2005, 12:41 PM
Leinart IMHO will be the next addition to an already long list of guys who played great in college because their team was incredible then pretty much stunk it up in the pro's. He reads the defense well, but I've seen him throw some bad passes, he's not mobile, and he doesn't have boatloads of armstrength. Granted you could say the same about Peyton, but I just don't think Leinart will be all that incredible. I'd take Nealy in a heartbeat, though I'd seriously consider good old #7 outta App as well. Maybe not as high because of his size only, but I'm gonna be pissed if Richie doesn't get drafted in any round (which it looks like he won't). It'll be a damn lucky team that takes a chance on him someday.

ASU Kep
December 1st, 2005, 12:43 PM
Brady Quinn is f'ing amazing though.

And why isn't Shockley on there? Great potential, seems like a great leader and team player to boot. Would YOU wait 4 years with his kinda talent? I wouldn't.

ASU Kep
December 1st, 2005, 12:47 PM
Surprised ralph hasn't come around yet to say something like:

"Matt Leinart? D.J. Shockley? Brady Quinn? Who are these guys? I'm being led to assume they are collegiate QBs yet I have no knowledge of them playing on the I-AA level. Perhaps D-II or NAIA?"

texcap
December 1st, 2005, 12:54 PM
Brady Quinn is f'ing amazing though.

And why isn't Shockley on there? Great potential, seems like a great leader and team player to boot. Would YOU wait 4 years with his kinda talent? I wouldn't.

I think there is still concern regarding Shockley's knee, although Croyle is on the list and he blew his knee out against Western Carolina a couple of years ago. (See I was able to bring this back to IAA). :D

BigApp
December 1st, 2005, 03:54 PM
PTI is a close second to Sportscenter for the best show on television.

Better'n Cold Pizza??? Man.....
xcoffeex xidiotx :boring: :boring: :boring: :boring:

dirtbag
December 1st, 2005, 06:25 PM
Pretty thin talent this year for the NFL draft. That's not an insult to Nealy, but looking at the fact that Croyle is THIRD and Hackney FOURTH overall would be a good indication of a lean QB group.

Right. Brodie Croyle sucks. I have no doubt that Nealy is better than Croyle. Any team that drafts Brodie Croyle is getting a guy who will spend his career holding a clipboard. Not saying Nealy should be drafted on the first day, but at least he has a lot of potential...

TXST_CAT
December 1st, 2005, 10:07 PM
I just wanted to ask all who like the Idea of hearing about DivI-AA on the horn to say thank you to the man who steped up and did it.

mailto:[email protected]
Also thank ESPN and let them know how many DiVI-AA fans are out there. This is how you improve media coverage. By sending E-Mails and forcing the issue and thanking when it is done.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?page=contact/espntv

blackfordpu
December 1st, 2005, 10:09 PM
I just wanted to ask all who like the Idea of hearing about DivI-AA on the horn to say thank you to the man who steped up and did it.

Also thank ESPN and let them know how many DiVI-AA fans are out there. This is how you improve media coverage. By sending E-Mails and forcing the issue and thanking when it is done.

Good idea.

blur2005
December 1st, 2005, 10:43 PM
Right. Brodie Croyle sucks. I have no doubt that Nealy is better than Croyle. Any team that drafts Brodie Croyle is getting a guy who will spend his career holding a clipboard. Not saying Nealy should be drafted on the first day, but at least he has a lot of potential...
I was more shocked about Hackney.

TXST_CAT
December 2nd, 2005, 08:47 AM

I just thought I'd bump this back up. If we want ESPN to respect DivI-AA we need to make noise when one of them recognizes us. :nod: