PDA

View Full Version : a place for Georgia State Football?

whoanellie
May 5th, 2009, 02:17 PM
with Ga St. starting football in'10. Is there a long term committment to FCS division?
Or what is their mission? Conference re-alignment?

mcveyrl
May 5th, 2009, 03:57 PM
with Ga St. starting football in'10. Is there a long term committment to FCS division?
Or what is their mission? Conference re-alignment?

Many anticipate that there is a Zsa Zsa Gabor-esque commitment to the CAA. I don't think any specific conference re-alignment plans have been announced.

Monarch Nation
May 5th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Some of their fans seem to think they are going to sell out the Georgia Dome and be ushered directly from the CAA to the SEC within 7 years of start up.

I hope they do well, but I believe they are going to be a hard sell, especially since there is an FBS team in Atlanta already. It's going to be tough.

ngineer
May 5th, 2009, 11:05 PM
Hey, the Patriot League is looking for a Fordham replacement..send application to Patriot League, Center Valley, Pennsylvania, C/O Carolyn Femovich. Great roadtrips!;):D

aztecjim
May 6th, 2009, 04:37 AM
I wonder if anyone has considered a a new conference altogether? Maybe a new version of the early 80s Sun Belt? Georgia State, Old Dominion, UNC-Charlotte, South Alabama. Add in UT-San Antonio, Lamar and maybe peel off a couple CAA,Southern, or SLC members?

gobluehose1
May 6th, 2009, 06:59 AM
Big South? I know they probably think they are better than the Big South already but why not?

Redwyn
May 6th, 2009, 07:02 AM
Big South may not be the best fit logistically. The schools in the conference are much too small for Georgia State to be content, and unless it's passing through like SBU likely is, it's very unlikely they'd go anywhere but SoCon or CAA

andy7171
May 6th, 2009, 07:07 AM
They are in the CAA for all other sports, no reason to think otherwise.

89Hen
May 6th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Some of their fans seem to think they are going to sell out the Georgia Dome and be ushered directly from the CAA to the SEC within 7 years of start up.
Not sure if you're exaggerating, but if their fans think they will put a dent in the capacity of the dome... xlolx I'd chalk it up to youthful exuberance.

gophoenix
May 6th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Georgia State will be SoCon, mark it down.

yosef1969
May 6th, 2009, 11:21 AM

Followed by Big East....

henfan
May 6th, 2009, 11:32 AM

I knew it wouldn't take long for this thread to degenerate into complete silliness.

What shread of evidence is there to suggest that GSU has any interest whatsoever in packing up their sports programs and moving to an arguably less comptitive mid-major conference? What gives anyone the impression that the SoCon is interested in adding a public institution to its membership, something it hasn't done in over a decade? Far from "mark[ing] it down", it seems like an incredible stretch at this point in time.

I don't mean to be too hard on you there, GP, but come on. Let's keep it credible. xthumbsupx

This link from the GSU website addresses the original question:

At what level will Georgia State football compete?

Georgia State will compete at the NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision (FCS, formerly known as NCAA Division I-AA). The Panthers will begin playing in the Colonial Athletic Association, the top FCS conference in the nation, in 2012.

http://www.georgiastatesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=12700&KEY=&ATCLID=1441410&SPID=5671&SPSID=104979