PDA

View Full Version : Arizona State Transfer QB Stangel to visit NDSU, UNI, EKU, and EIU

Thunderstruck84
May 5th, 2009, 08:36 AM
I've been following this pretty closely since last Friday. Current Arizona State QB Chasen Stangel is looking to transfer to an FCS school. He was in Fargo on Friday and Saturday for a visit and is visiting Eastern Kentucky this weekend with Eastern Illinois and Northern Iowa to follow shortly after, presumably. He was a 3 star pro style QB out of high school in southern California and has slipped down the depth chart at ASU. He is committed to transferring to an FCS school so he doesn't lose another year as he will be a redshirt sophomore this year. He has stated that he'll be making a decision in the next 2-3 weeks.

Here are Steve Hallstrom's comments from the Bison Media blog regarding Stangel. (http://www.areavoices.com/bisonmedia/?blog=50646)

I think this guy would be a great fit for the Bison, he's a pro style QB who would give NDSU some sorely needed depth at the QB position as well as a potential replacement for Mertens should he fail to improve this year, 3 more years of eligibility is a huge plus as well. Suffice to say, whoever gets him should be pretty happy with the catch.

Any thoughts from the UNI, EKU, or EIU fans regarding this kid?

footballer23
May 5th, 2009, 09:02 AM
I've been following this pretty closely since last Friday. Current Arizona State QB Chasen Stangel is looking to transfer to an FCS school. He was in Fargo on Friday and Saturday for a visit and is visiting Eastern Kentucky this weekend with Eastern Illinois and Northern Iowa to follow shortly after, presumably. He was a 3 star pro style QB out of high school in southern California and has slipped down the depth chart at ASU. He is committed to transferring to an FCS school so he doesn't lose another year as he will be a redshirt sophomore this year. He has stated that he'll be making a decision in the next 2-3 weeks.

Here are Steve Hallstrom's comments from the Bison Media blog regarding Stangel. (http://www.areavoices.com/bisonmedia/?blog=50646)

I think this guy would be a great fit for the Bison, he's a pro style QB who would give NDSU some sorely needed depth at the QB position as well as a potential replacement for Mertens should he fail to improve this year, 3 more years of eligibility is a huge plus as well. Suffice to say, whoever gets him should be pretty happy with the catch.

Any thoughts from the UNI, EKU, or EIU fans regarding this kid?

Needless to say, most of NDSU is doing some hard praying on this one...

mebisonII
May 5th, 2009, 09:41 AM
What is the QB situation at the other schools? Obviously at NDSU he's got a chance to play the first year, and would be a front-runner to start the next two years (Mertens is a senior next year, right?).

ValleyChamp
May 5th, 2009, 11:17 AM
I think here at UNI, we are pretty much happy with what we have at QB for a couple of seasons, but that is not to say we wouldn't take him. You can never have enough QB depth. I would say its pretty clear that the Bison need him the most, as they could probably garantee him playing time. I guess we will see.

slostang
May 5th, 2009, 11:40 AM
I would think that NDSU would be a front runner. It is obvious that they are a very good program with great facilities, but they are lacking a top flight QB. He would have a chance to come in and start for three years if he is as good as advertised. I also think that NDSU with the right QB is a team that could compete for a FCS championship during his time there.

The one thing I could see keeping from going to NDSU is that it would be harder to find two climates so completely different than Pheonix and Fargo. Not sure how he would do in the winters in Fargo.

footballer23
May 5th, 2009, 12:04 PM
I would think that NDSU would be a front runner. It is obvious that they are a very good program with great facilities, but they are lacking a top flight QB. He would have a chance to come in and start for three years if he is as good as advertised. I also think that NDSU with the right QB is a team that could compete for a FCS championship during his time there.

The one thing I could see keeping from going to NDSU is that it would be harder to find two climates so completely different than Pheonix and Fargo. Not sure how he would do in the winters in Fargo.

True... but we have a few players from Florida on the team that have survived. Besides, the football season is pretty much over before the snow flies. And, if there is an early snow, we do play indoors... which, from what I have heard from a couple of players from warmer climates, was a good selling point.

LakesBison
May 5th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Ill take CHASE down to the beaches in Detroit Lakes Minnesota , 40 miles from fargo, there's PLENTY of amazing weather and ladies down there.

who wants to sit in iowa in the summer ?? that would be painful

mebisonII
May 5th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Ill take CHASE down to the beaches in Detroit Lakes Minnesota , 40 miles from fargo, there's PLENTY of amazing weather and ladies down there.

Actually, Iowa has little to no wind, few mosquitoes and while the state parks are not as nice as Minnesotas, there are a lot of them and some of them are still pretty good.

That said, I'd still love to be back in MN within the next few years and I'm glad to hear UNI isn't in dire need of a quarterback, so we have a little better chance of getting Chase xthumbsupx

JayJ79
May 5th, 2009, 01:38 PM
Since most FBS transfers are transferring because they're not happy with the playing time that they get at their current school,
and because he'd have (what I'm guessing would be) pretty stiff competition for the starting QB spot at UNI (though I don't personally know anything about the situation, other than as a fan watching last year's play),
I don't see him coming to UNI.

I-AA Fan
May 5th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Could be a good find. He was actually #5 on the depth chart ...being the only pro-style QB on the team, leaving is a good choice. Although with Elway's son quitting the team, he did move up. Although everyone is real high on Brock Osweiler. Also I think Steven Threet transferred from Michigan & will sit out a year. If not, that Qb Marve (from Miami, FL) will transfer. Marve says he will not transfer to ASU if Threet does.

ValleyChamp
May 5th, 2009, 02:31 PM

Anyone else think its funny that the Bison have to go DOWN to Minnesota for nicer weather??xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

That sucks.

Gil Dobie
May 5th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Anyone else think its funny that the Bison have to go DOWN to Minnesota for nicer weather??xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

That sucks.

Fargo is on the Border, and Detroit Lakes is directly 40 miles east, neither down, nor nicer weather. :p

footballer23
May 5th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Fargo is on the Border, and Detroit Lakes is directly 40 miles east, neither down, nor nicer weather. :p

Same weather... they just have lakes, beaches and bikinis. Everyone bolts Fargo on the weekends.

Gil Dobie
May 5th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Same weather... they just have lakes, beaches and bikinis. Everyone bolts Fargo on the weekends.

I may be old, but I remember those DL days and nights. xoopsx

mebisonII
May 5th, 2009, 04:44 PM
I may be old, but I remember those DL days and nights. xoopsx

You're doing well...from what I've seen, lots of people don't remember their DL nights the next day! xlolx

EIU86
May 5th, 2009, 06:46 PM
I'm sure EIU's connections to this kid is Roy Wittke, their offensive coordinator who returned to EIU this past year after spending a year or two on the staff at Arizona State. EIU could certainly use an upgrade at the position.

Gil Dobie
May 14th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Stangel commits to EKU

WDAY Link (http://www.wday.com/event/article/id/20849/)

Arizona State transfer QB Chasen Stangel has committed to Eastern Kentucky. Stangel visited NDSU recently and NDSU coaches had offered him a full scholarship. Below is the text of an email I received from him this afternoon...

Ronbo
May 14th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Stangel commits to EKU

WDAY Link (http://www.wday.com/event/article/id/20849/)

Arizona State transfer QB Chasen Stangel has committed to Eastern Kentucky. Stangel visited NDSU recently and NDSU coaches had offered him a full scholarship. Below is the text of an email I received from him this afternoon...

Very classy. EKU is lucky to get this young man.

89Hen
May 14th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Stangel commits to EKU
Transfer U gets another one.

Hey, everyone says it about UD. :p

Thunderstruck84
May 14th, 2009, 04:55 PM
xbawlingx

EKU05
May 14th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Transfer U gets another one.

Hey, everyone says it about UD. :p

I think you're confusing us with Murray State. They own that title in both the OVC and Kentucky. We've generally done a pretty good job of developing out own players, but we've certainly had a few good transfer QBs over the years...including Al Holland who just finished up his tenure at EKU (now a grad assistant).

busybee14
May 15th, 2009, 05:44 AM
Im still amazed that every time a 1a QB transfer announces he will leave a big program for the FCS supporters of the targeted schools get giddy like little school girls with a crush.
This guy was 5th on a depth chart!(are the qbs you got now that bad?)He was probably just a good size kid with a decent arm out of high school and cant swing it at the 1a level.This is like the Richt situation a month or so back.

I would love for them to make the move a sit out year to stop some of this.
The FCS is filled with QBs that have a ton of talent but maybe were a fraction of a second slow on a 40 or 1-2 inches short of the "desired"position size and fought their asses off during the recruiting process for 1a attention against players who were not as talented but had better measurables.So they loose scholly offers to these kids on the front end and loose playing time to the same group after a transfer.Its bs in my opinion .If these transfer qbs are smart enough to lead a team then you would think they could have the common sense to read a roster prior to accepting an offer and notice the depth chart at there FBS dream school will never let them take the field!!!

MaroonDoom
May 15th, 2009, 08:28 AM
That would make two FCS QB transfers. A kid from Marshall is also looking at EKU.

Thunderstruck84
May 15th, 2009, 04:03 PM
This guy was 5th on a depth chart!(are the qbs you got now that bad?)
That's a resounding yes, especially when you're depth chart at QB looks like this:

1. Underacheiving mistake-prone 5th year senior
2. True Freshman