PDA

View Full Version : GRIZ VS App State

mtgrizfan4life
May 3rd, 2009, 10:39 PM
According to the Billings Gazette, O'day says GRIZ/App State games may happen, becoming a reality for 2012 and 2013. Also a home and home with McNeese is like to happen in the future.

Proving the GRIZ or App State do not move up, here is to hoping both remain elite FCS programs.

Here is the link.

http://www.billingsgazette.net/articles/2009/05/03/sports/local/24-grizzly.txt

uofmman1122
May 4th, 2009, 12:35 AM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56790

T-Dog
May 4th, 2009, 01:43 AM
We're going to McNeese in 2013 (McNeese comes to Boone in 2014), so I would think a Montana/App game would be in Boone that year with us going to Montana in 2012. It would be crazy for us to go to Lake Charles and Missoula in the same season (and no more than a few weeks apart at most)

SoCon48
May 4th, 2009, 10:10 AM
An ASU vs Montana game would be great for both schools as well as the FCS as a whole.
However, based on Montana's history of cancelling and buying out the away portion of home-away contracts, the Mountaineers would be foolish to not demand the first part be played in Boone's KBS.

SoCon48
May 4th, 2009, 10:13 AM
An ASU vs Montana game would be great for both schools as well as the FCS as a whole.
However, based on Montana's history of cancelling and buying out the away portion of home-away contracts, the Mountaineers would be foolish to not demand the first part be played in Boone's KBS.

Green26
May 4th, 2009, 11:03 AM
It is not really accurate to say that Montana has a history of cancelling and buying out the away-portion of home and homes.

The biggest example of a buyout was Hoftra. This came after UM had uncovered a million dollar budget athletic department deficit. UM had to resolve the budget deficit promptly, as directed by the president and the state board of regents. By buying out the game, UM saved the significant travel costs to the East Coast, and reaped the benefits of an additional home game (probably netting about $400,000 at that time).

During the period of time prior to the Hofstra buyout, UM had already played Hofstra in a home and home, played Sam Houston in a home and home, and played Maine in a home and home.

UM has switched around games with Cal Poly on several occasions in the past dozen or so years. It is my understanding that all or most of those switches did not result of buyouts or payments. The net result is that UM has still played Cal Poly in most years. UM played Cal Poly on the road last year. I'm not aware that the CP athletic dept has any gripes with UM.

I believe UM bought out a game with South Dakota State in the aftermath of the budget deficit situation too.

On occasion, UM has bought out a single game with a D-II, usually so it could schedule a I-A game.

UNI Pike
May 4th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Regardless if UM has a history of dropping games, or not, I would love to see these games. I am sure the coaches would rather schedule St Francis, or a D-II. But the hype surrounding the games will be a positive.

ASUG8
May 4th, 2009, 12:13 PM
I really hope we meet prior to 2012-2013.

mtgrizfan4life
May 4th, 2009, 01:01 PM

I would love it sooner than later too. Let's just make it in Chatty for a few years.

I know Montana is locked into Cal Poly for another few years. You guys are supposedly committed to McNeese State (I am not sure what years). It is unlike the GRIZ to schedule more than 1 good out of conference FCS program any given year. Chances are likely the other out of conference games will be filled with smaller FCS programs or div II.

I hope both programs are still ELITE FCS programs when it does happen. By then the move up moratorium will be lifted. The NCAA will be making changes, what those changes are, I have no idea. However, depending on the changes, one or both programs could be playing up then. Add in congress stepping in with college football, and it looks like change is inevitable. If a playoff system comes into play, it will give our move up supporters more legs to stand on.

I wish we could just fastforward to 2012 and get the show on the road. It will be AWESOME for the programs, fans, and FCS football. xthumbsupx

SoCon48
May 4th, 2009, 01:02 PM
It is not really accurate to say that Montana has a history of cancelling and buying out the away-portion of home and homes.

The biggest example of a buyout was Hoftra. This came after UM had uncovered a million dollar budget athletic department deficit. UM had to resolve the budget deficit promptly, as directed by the president and the state board of regents. By buying out the game, UM saved the significant travel costs to the East Coast, and reaped the benefits of an additional home game (probably netting about $400,000 at that time).

During the period of time prior to the Hofstra buyout, UM had already played Hofstra in a home and home, played Sam Houston in a home and home, and played Maine in a home and home.

UM has switched around games with Cal Poly on several occasions in the past dozen or so years. It is my understanding that all or most of those switches did not result of buyouts or payments. The net result is that UM has still played Cal Poly in most years. UM played Cal Poly on the road last year. I'm not aware that the CP athletic dept has any gripes with UM.

I believe UM bought out a game with South Dakota State in the aftermath of the budget deficit situation too.

On occasion, UM has bought out a single game with a D-II, usually so it could schedule a I-A game.

That sounds like a history to me.

Ronbo
May 4th, 2009, 01:10 PM

I know, according to the History Channel, the world ends in 2012.xoopsx

Green26
May 4th, 2009, 01:39 PM
UM has 2 more years on its contract with UC-Davis, and will go to Davis this season. UM has 4 more years on its contract with Cal Poly. CP will come to Missoula this season.

In my view, both of those are good OOC games. The biggest negative is that UM plays CP almost every year, and while a terrific opponent, CP is not as exciting of a game as playing a team that UM rarely plays.

Because there are 9 teams in the conference, there is room only for 3 OOC games each season. It's correct that the 3rd game is likely to be a low level team in the region which can bus to Missoula and will accept for low fee. It's true the coaches like to have one lower level game per season, to help develop depth.

Note that the athletic director was quoted as saying that not having the 7th home game this fall would result of a decrease of $750,000 of football revenue from 2008.

While it's important to have reasonable OOC schedules, and to keep fans relatively happy, going on the road has a very large financial impact on UM's revenue and budget. UM can do alot of things with $750,000 extra each year.

ASUG8
May 4th, 2009, 02:49 PM
We play McNeese 9/12 this year in Boone, and I believe we visit them in 2012 assuming the Mayans are wrong about the end of the world. xnodx

Montanan
May 4th, 2009, 03:10 PM

SoCon48 knows very well the reasons for MT buying out those games. he's just...Click here to see (http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x102/Montanan_1/AGS/socon4848.gif) xnodx

appsfan
May 4th, 2009, 07:43 PM
LOL!!

SoCon48
May 4th, 2009, 09:05 PM
LOL!!

And you call yourself an ASU fan?

SoCon48
May 4th, 2009, 09:05 PM
SoCon48 knows very well the reasons for MT buying out those games. he's just...Click here to see (http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x102/Montanan_1/AGS/socon4848.gif) xnodx

KMA

SoCon48
May 4th, 2009, 09:06 PM
For the record, I am all for playing Montana, just so they come to Boone first.

Montanan
May 5th, 2009, 01:34 AM
KMA

NEVER, and keep your perversions to yourself, ya degenerate! xrulesxxnodxxlolx