PDA

View Full Version : Can't be beat at home

Psl48
November 30th, 2005, 02:49 PM
Does anyone really think App can be beat at home with 23plus in the stand?

Grizo406
November 30th, 2005, 02:51 PM
Trust me, anyone can be beat at home with 20k plus fans watching. :bawling:

Black and Gold Express
November 30th, 2005, 02:54 PM
Does anyone really think App can be beat at home with 23plus in the stands?

Yes. Those 23,000 can't get on the field. It would be a penalty if that happened. We can't have that. ;)

In all seriousness, we could lose this week. Or next week, or the week after that. There is not a team left in the playoffs, including this weekend's opponent, that are an easy win. And if you look at it, in SIU and potentially Furman, we have two teams with the exact kind of gameplan (run first, but good passing too) that give us the most trouble.

I'm optimistic about our chances, because we are a dang good team. I do think we have what it takes this year to finally get to Chattanooga. But Lafayette showed last week the blueprint to beat ASU, and you can bet others will use it.

putter
November 30th, 2005, 02:57 PM
Trust me, anyone can be beat at home with 20k plus fans watching. :bawling:

Right :( You :o Are :confused: Grizo :bawling:

GannonFan
November 30th, 2005, 03:02 PM
I don't think SIU can beat you, but as you get deeper in the playoffs anyone can lose at home. Mighty UD (yup, my Hens) dropped two semifinal games in the late 90's (to McNeese and to GSU) despite having 22k in the stands. Heck, Wofford gave the '03 Hens a game as well despite not playing at home. At this point, and even more so at the semi's, the teams left are all pretty good and it's not shocking to see home losses.

bcrawf
November 30th, 2005, 03:19 PM
DO NOT THINK THAT!!

In 1992 we thought we were invincible at home and had the semifinal with 18,000 in the Dome. What Happened? Cheatin Jim Tressell and YSU rolled through and dominated us (Game would have been different if Kenny Shedd would have been healthy, and if Terry Allen would have started Kurt Warner over Jay Johnson)

But Nonetheless- A home field does not make one invincible- Remember that Wildcats, see ya Saturday!!!

89Hen
November 30th, 2005, 03:22 PM
Can ASU lose at home, of course... will they lose to SIU this week, no way.

AppGuy04
November 30th, 2005, 03:59 PM
If i was a betting man, I wouldn't bet on it this week, but who knows...........................ANY GIVEN SATURDAY(or Friday for the semis :mad: )

ASU Kep
November 30th, 2005, 04:29 PM
Yes, we can be beat at home though it's hard for me to imagine, being a junior up here now and having attended every home game since I came, I've never walked away from KBS in a bad mood. Will I walk away depressed on Sat.? I don't think so, but it's possible. We have a f'ing great team, but SIU is a better team than the one we faced last week (no offense Pard fans :) ). They are dangerous. If we play "decent", we lose.

Myself, I trust the leadership on the team. I think we'll be ready to go.

nick9c
November 30th, 2005, 04:51 PM

To answer your question, App State will get beat at home, either this week or next. :bang:

matfu
November 30th, 2005, 04:56 PM
i think if southern illinois doesn't beat you, furman will. app state is a very good team but not unbeatable. furman was the best team last year and we were overconfident and lost at home to james madison in the quarters 14-13. you guys didn't look so great against chat or lafayette.

your next trip to 'nooga will be when you go to play utc there next year...unless you want to come watch the paladins in the finals. don't think for a second we don't think we can beat you guys in boone. our last two losses there were by 1 point (one a freak play and the other a last minute drive). i think we will get revenge for "the miracle on the mountain".

AppGuy04
November 30th, 2005, 05:09 PM
i think if southern illinois doesn't beat you, furman will. app state is a very good team but not unbeatable. furman was the best team last year and we were overconfident and lost at home to james madison in the quarters 14-13. you guys didn't look so great against chat or lafayette.

your next trip to 'nooga will be when you go to play utc there next year...unless you want to come watch the paladins in the finals. don't think for a second we don't think we can beat you guys in boone. our last two losses there were by 1 point (one a freak play and the other a last minute drive). i think we will get revenge for "the miracle on the mountain".

and a 2 point win over nicholls is impressive?

SoCon48
November 30th, 2005, 05:11 PM

Problem is, ASU is facing each week gradually ...tougher teams than it has played at home all year.
I'm still not convinced we can draw 23K for a second round game. I want to see it badly but won't believe it until we do get the butts in the seats.

AppGuy04
November 30th, 2005, 05:12 PM
Problem is, ASU is facing each week gradually ...tougher teams than it has played at home all year.
I'm still not convinced we can draw 23K for a second round game. I want to see it badly but won't believe it until we do get the butts in the seats.

I'll be there, and then heading right over to the basketball game

SoCon48
November 30th, 2005, 05:14 PM

Furman may be a much better team than they were the first week in Oct. Had the game been in Boone, due to the closeness of the margin, I would be hard to convince that we would havenot lost by the FG's difference.
But, I have a feeling they have improved very much since then..even though their loss to GSU might indicate otherwise.

SoCon48
November 30th, 2005, 05:16 PM
To answer your question, App State will get beat at home, either this week or next. :bang:

Ohhhh. I hate that. I really wanted ASU to play Furman again. Not Richmond. :rolleyes:

SoCon48
November 30th, 2005, 05:24 PM
Yes, we can be beat at home though it's hard for me to imagine, being a junior up here now and having attended every home game since I came, I've never walked away from KBS in a bad mood. Will I walk away depressed on Sat.? I don't think so, but it's possible. We have a f'ing great team, but SIU is a better team than the one we faced last week (no offense Pard fans :) ). They are dangerous. If we play "decent", we lose.

Myself, I trust the leadership on the team. I think we'll be ready to go.

I agree with you 100%. Also think SIU will be the toughest I-AA team we've faced all year, including Furple. Hopefully the player they have injured is as much of a handicap to them as our not having Little back..yet.
Their QB is as good or even better than Richie.

griz37
November 30th, 2005, 05:25 PM
Will you really have 23+ plus in the stands? I thought I saw last week that the announced attendance was like 7k, even w/Thanksgiving that is low.

KiddBrewer
November 30th, 2005, 05:33 PM
Will you really have 23+ plus in the stands? I thought I saw last week that the announced attendance was like 7k, even w/Thanksgiving that is low.

The announced attendance was like 6,500.....but something fishy is going on there cause i was there and it was a lot more than that. on the subject of 23,000 for a second round game....yes its possible, but not likely. I think the home crowd will be same or close to the same as for the Western game which drew 25K+, but there wont be nearly as many visitors. People up here dont care how much they have to pay, saturdays at KBS are the place to be. if anybody has never came to a game here, you should sometimes, its a circus.

KiddBrewer
November 30th, 2005, 05:35 PM

Hopefully if there is 23K in the stands, there will be no butts in the seats, they should all be standing up the whole game.

KiddBrewer
November 30th, 2005, 05:37 PM
and yes we can be beat at home, if were not ready. SIU is nasty, just look up how big their players are. if we come in not prepared, we can get beat just as easily as Furman can be beat by Richmond if they come out lazy.

Saint3333
November 30th, 2005, 06:32 PM
SUI is an excellent team and they match up well with ASU, whoever wins the TO battle will win the game decided in the mid-20's.

IF ASU does win, I hope Furman does win because I think Richmond is the better team and I know ASU can beat Furman at the ROCK ;) .

FU97
November 30th, 2005, 06:49 PM
Most attendence figures during the regular season are all tickets sold/given away, not necessarily people at the game. That can artifically inflate attendence figures for the regular season. For the playoffs, the attendence is actual turnstile attendence, which is harder to inflate (or deflate). Not sure how discount student tickets are accounted for in playoff attendence.

Just becasue the playoff crowd is announced at 10,000 but looks like the regular season announced crown of 15,000 doesn't mean there were really 15,000 people there for the playoff game as well.

Attendence for a semi game vs Furman would be very large as I would expect us to bring a good contingent to the game.

FU97
November 30th, 2005, 06:51 PM
SUI is an excellent team and they match up well with ASU, whoever wins the TO battle will win the game decided in the mid-20's.

IF ASU does win, I hope Furman does win because I think Richmond is the better team and I know ASU can beat Furman at the ROCK ;) .

Keep thinking that.

HensRock
November 30th, 2005, 06:56 PM
If I HAD to pick 1 upset this weekend, it would be SIU over App State.

blukeys
November 30th, 2005, 07:00 PM
I'm amazed at the APP fans who assume that they will face Furman next week. The Richmond - Furman game will be the best game on the I-AA card this weekend . Both teams have better than advertised defenses and great playmakers at QB. Anything can happen and probably will. :) :)

APP should roll SIU. If you don't It is because your boys didn't show up.

skinny_uncle
November 30th, 2005, 08:05 PM
I'm amazed at the APP fans who assume that they will face Furman next week. The Richmond - Furman game will be the best game on the I-AA card this weekend . Both teams have better than advertised defenses and great playmakers at QB. Anything can happen and probably will. :) :)

SIU will show up. (Delaware won't).

APPST '93
November 30th, 2005, 08:27 PM
Are the rest of my fellow APP fans scared? Have some confidence. Stand up for your team. If we go down...at least talk some smack. I hate whiners and people who suck up. Confidence is something you must have or no one will fear you.

As for the match up. Who cares about the run game. The last I saw APP averaged more rushing yards than their opponents. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

blackfordpu
November 30th, 2005, 09:10 PM
Any team can be beat any time, anywhere. :nod:

SeattleGriz
November 30th, 2005, 09:14 PM

DUDE!!! If you lose this weekend, you will be like that guy who screwed the Chicago Cubs!! Better not tell anyone your name.

:xmas: Merry Christmas

skinny_uncle
November 30th, 2005, 09:42 PM
Will that many folks show up?
I've heard it is supposed to rain Saturday in Boone.

What impact will that have on the crowd and the game?

tralfangar
November 30th, 2005, 10:06 PM

Unless I'm mistaken, they're only responding to the furple poster who assumed they will be in the semis.

And no...I don't think Furman will beat Richmond (unfortunately).

matfu
November 30th, 2005, 10:11 PM
true..the nicholls state score was not impressive...nor was your game against lafayette. as bobby lamb says and james madison proved last year (won 1st two playoff games 14-13) the name of the game is to SURVIVE and ADVANCE. a win is a win and the score means nothing otherwise. i think app state will lose as furman did last year because of your arrogance.

i think richmond may be a better team and should be favored but furman knows how to win this year...humbly! i will be surprised if both furman and app state win this weekend. a rematch would be sweet.

AppState
November 30th, 2005, 10:25 PM
You are the one talking smack, yet we are arrogant and you are humble?

SoCon48
November 30th, 2005, 11:01 PM
Post of the week!!!! Hands down. :asswhip:

SoCon48
November 30th, 2005, 11:06 PM

Not the same team the Hens played last year in the play-offs by far. 25 seniors this year. Good stats.

Mr. C
November 30th, 2005, 11:38 PM
I agree with you 100%. Also think SIU will be the toughest I-AA team we've faced all year, including Furple. Hopefully the player they have injured is as much of a handicap to them as our not having Little back..yet.
Their QB is as good or even better than Richie.
Richie Williams is far more dangerous than Joel Sambursky. For one thing, Williams will be in an NFL camp next summer. The only way Sambursky will be is to buy a ticket. Sambursky is a good QB and a guy who doesn't make mistakes, but he doesn't have the ability to take a game over like Williams. Probably the only team left in the playoffs that Sambursky would have an edge over is freshman Matt Brennan at Cal Poly.

And while Southern Illinois is a very good team (particularly tailback Arkee Whitlock), Appalachian State matches up with the Salukis very well (particularly with SIU's porous secondary).

Chi Panther
November 30th, 2005, 11:57 PM
Richie Williams is far more dangerous than Joel Sambursky. For one thing, Williams will be in an NFL camp next summer. The only way Sambursky will be is to buy a ticket. Sambursky is a good QB and a guy who doesn't make mistakes, but he doesn't have the ability to take a game over like Williams. Probably the only team left in the playoffs that Sambursky would have an edge over is freshman Matt Brennan at Cal Poly.

And while Southern Illinois is a very good team (particularly tailback Arkee Whitlock), Appalachian State matches up with the Salukis very well (particularly with SIU's porous secondary).

Williams is an NFL WR.....

Don't under-estimate Sambursky....he has the Playoff experience of 3 games now.....and he doesn't want it to end.....SLOWING Whitlock is obviously the key......but watch out for a fellow named Little.

Reed Rothchild
December 1st, 2005, 12:02 AM
(particularly with SIU's porous secondary).
That will be the key. Another aspect that SIU has is ball control. Yes, Sambursky might not be able to take over a game like Williams, but it might be hard for Williams to take the game over if he is not on the field.

GreatAppSt
December 1st, 2005, 12:45 AM
i think app state will lose as furman did last year because of your arrogance.

That's about as dumb as it gets. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: xlolx xlolx xlolx

ASU Kep
December 1st, 2005, 03:15 AM
Will that many folks show up?
I've heard it is supposed to rain Saturday in Boone.

What impact will that have on the crowd and the game?

Rain will definitely not help, but it won't drive away the die-hards either. The fraternity kids will probably stay home. Wouldn't want to ruin their suits. xlolx

AppGuy04
December 1st, 2005, 07:49 AM
http://booneweather.com/boone/forecast.php

36-39, Rain and slight wintry mix

SoCon48
December 1st, 2005, 08:05 AM

If fans' arrogance caused losses, Furman and GSU would NEVER have won a single national championship.

Black and Gold Express
December 1st, 2005, 09:00 AM
If fans' arrogance caused losses, Furman and GSU would NEVER have won a single national championship.

At least GSU has something to back up the arrogance.

Eaglegus2
December 1st, 2005, 09:07 AM
At least GSU has something to back up the arrogance.

Here is a dose of that arrogance......

App State 28

SIU 13

Go SoCon!!!!!!

ASU Kep
December 1st, 2005, 09:11 AM
Here is a dose of that arrogance......

App State 28

SIU 13

Go SoCon!!!!!!

Nice to know we're all sticking together. Good luck with the coaching situation, and hopefully we'll see ya in Chatty (if your comin').

AppGuy04
December 1st, 2005, 09:12 AM
Nice to know we're all sticking together. Good luck with the coaching situation, and hopefully we'll see ya in Chatty (if your comin').

as we should

Eaglegus2
December 1st, 2005, 09:19 AM

I will come to Chatty to see a SoCon team. If you make it, I will probably make it. The drive is only 5 1/2 hours from home.

Make sure GreatAppState has a place to party. Tell him the RED FLAG cook is coming to Chatty and he must provide the food & drink. xlolx xlolx xprost2x :hurray: :hurray:

JohnStOnge
December 1st, 2005, 09:30 AM
I think App has historically under-achieved in the playoffs and last week didn't do anything to change my opinion in that regard.

AppGuy04
December 1st, 2005, 09:31 AM
I think App has historically under-achieved in the playoffs and last week didn't do anything to change my opinion in that regard.

a win is a win, and this week is another week

we'll see what we can do to impress you this week :rolleyes:

SoCon48
December 1st, 2005, 10:23 AM

Did your team play Lafayette this year?

SoCon48
December 1st, 2005, 10:26 AM
a win is a win, and this week is another week

we'll see what we can do to impress you this week :rolleyes:

After seeing Lafayette play last Saturday, I make absolutely no apologies for their level of talent, their coaching, nor the way they played.
Saturday, Lafayette would have beaten the dog s--- out of half the schools whose fans are dissing them.

ChickenMan
December 1st, 2005, 10:31 AM
After seeing Lafayette play last Saturday, I make absolutely no apologies for their level of talent, their coaching, nor the way they played.
Saturday, Lafayette would have beaten the dog s--- out of half the schools whose fans are dissing them.

I was not surprised... having seen the better Patriot and Ivies play in person... I already knew that the top of those leagues could play with the better I-AAs. Lafayette showed the same attributes in their playoff game at Delaware last year.

LarryBoy
December 1st, 2005, 10:47 AM

Wow. I had no idea that the smack on this board had that much of an impact.

If AGS Board Arrogance=Loss, then UNI's screwed. Both App and UNI fans need to start humbling themselves before it's too late!

AppGuy04
December 1st, 2005, 10:52 AM
Wow. I had no idea that the smack on this board had that much of an impact.

If AGS Board Arrogance=Loss, then UNI's screwed. Both App and UNI fans need to start humbling themselves before it's too late!

fans in general would be screwed, everyone is arrogant at some point, i just call it team support, but to each his own

LarryBoy
December 1st, 2005, 11:39 AM
fans in general would be screwed, everyone is arrogant at some point, i just call it team support, but to each his own

Agreed. I was just mocking the general idea.

ASU Kep
December 1st, 2005, 12:16 PM
Agreed. I was just mocking the general idea.

No kidding. GSU would be a sub-par D-III school if fan arrogance counted against the team. :D

ASU Kep
December 1st, 2005, 12:16 PM
Well, so would ASU for that matter. At least this season. But we ARE that good.

JohnStOnge
December 1st, 2005, 12:20 PM
Did your team play Lafayette this year?

No, but as I said before the game I look at power ratings as a good, objective indication of how teams did relative to their level of competition and Lafayette was generally rated around 50th. I looked at App as the team with the best odds of winning the championship. Lafayette lost to Colgate. Did you see Colgate this past Saturday? I know New Hampshire is good but remember that I went into this tournament thinking that App was even better.

Overall, I just think App has underachieved in the playoffs. Like that 1999 team that outplayed Auburn but lost 44-29 to Florida A&M in the first round. Or the 1995 team that beat Marshall and went into the playoffs undefeated but lost 27-17 in the second round to Stephen F. Austin.

I think App has had several teams good enough to win national championships and, had they played like they did during certain regular seasons, they very well may have gotten some. I do think they've historically tended to step it down a notch during post season.

I think App State is better than Southern Illinois and App is playing at home. Does that mean they're going to win?

Who knows?

AppGuy04
December 1st, 2005, 12:22 PM
with Hampton and GSU out, there has been limited smack this week, not surprising though

AppGuy04
December 1st, 2005, 12:23 PM
No, but as I said before the game I look at power ratings as a good, objective indication of how teams did relative to their level of competition and Lafayette was generally rated around 50th. I looked at App as the team with the best odds of winning the championship. Lafayette lost to Colgate. Did you see Colgate this past Saturday? I know New Hampshire is good but remember that I went into this tournament thinking that App was even better.

Overall, I just think App has underachieved in the playoffs. Like that 1999 team that outplayed Auburn but lost 44-29 to Florida A&M in the first round. Or the 1995 team that beat Marshall and went into the playoffs undefeated but lost 27-17 in the second round to Stephen F. Austin.

I think App has had several teams good enough to win national championships and, had they played like they did during certain regular seasons, they very well may have gotten some. I do think they've historically tended to step it down a notch during post season.

I think App State is better than Southern Illinois and App is playing at home. Does that mean they're going to win?

Who knows?

you can't really judge teams on the basis of one game, UNH could implode this week and people will be saying they suck, so its all relative

Black and Gold Express
December 1st, 2005, 01:03 PM

Who knows?

There is no doubt ASU has underachieved a lot in the playoffs. Anyone suggesting otherwise either is in serious denial, or has not followed ASU long enough to be fully aware of it.

But, in the instances you gave (FAMU in particular), ASU was outplayed by a team who's strengths matched up perfectly with our weaknesses. ASU in those days was a one dimensional team compared to now. Part of the recent evolution of the ASU football program has been building the ability to be effective against with both rush and pass on both offense and defense. The ASU teams of the past were run teams on offense, and strong run defense. A passing team would give us fits, but the SoCon barely had any passing attacks worth a damn.

This year's team is completely different in makeup than any prior ASU playoff team. On offense, yes we run a lot with Williams and Richardson, but remember that last year Richie was a passing fiend too. THere is no doubt Coach Moore loves to run the ball if he can, but if needed ASU can air it out as good as anyone too. And that is an element that we never had in other playoff runs. I suspect this week we'll take to the air more, as that's a known weakness of the SIU defense.

On defense, if ASU can make you one dimensional, you're finished. Lafayette ran the ball well, but it was Davis' throwing that was the big difference. This weekend, I have no doubt they will go to Whitlock early and often. And ASU definitely ccould slow or stop him by loading up on the run. The question becomes can the SIU passing attack take the pressure off of him? If they cannot do it, then SIU is in big trouble. And if ASU can get a lead and force SIU to have to pass a lot, that's when Hunter, Murrell, and Suiter will just pin their ears back and attack the quarterback.

ASU's team is an emotionally charged unit. They feed off of big plays from either side, and they feed off the crowd in a very real way. At times it is a tangible thing you can feel when the ball gets rolling. Look at how Lafayette lost control of the game last week. The defense held LC off the board to allow the offense to get them back even, but still you sensed a lot of fight and positive energy from the Leopards. Then it happened.

The defense made some big stops or forced turnovers, and the offense immediately converted. A big hit or a sack gets the crowd into it, and that got the defense jacked up more. Another turnover, and the next play a score for ASU. Next thing you know, Lafayette for the first time all day looks like a completely outgunned team, and it's game over. That's how it's worked all year long for us, only that turning point at home has usually come a lot earlier than it did in that game.

If SIU can keep the emotion of the stadium in check, they've got a real chance to spring the upset (and I think it would be an upset). But if ASU can get the emaotional energy of the place rolling, SIU's in big, big trouble.

Mr. C
December 1st, 2005, 01:11 PM

Who knows?
While the 1999 loss to FAMU was definitely underachieving, the 1995 team was a victim of injuries. If ASU had been healthy, it would have had a shot at the national title. The 1995 team lost All-American cornerback Matt Stevens, a projected mid-first-round NFL draft choice, to renconstructive knee surgery and also had injuries to linebackers Joe DiBernardo (sprained toe) and Adam Neuheisal (ankle). DiBernardo — an All-American who was in camp with the San Diego Chargers the next summer — played against SFA, even though he could barely move. The Mountaineers had no one else available. Even though Marshall and Montana met in the final, I think a lot of us though that McNeese State and Appalachian were the best two teams that year. Would have loved to have seen a Cowboy-Mountaineer final in 95.

SoCon48
December 1st, 2005, 02:29 PM
. If ASU had been healthy, it would have had a shot at the national title. The 1995 team lost All-American cornerback Matt Stevens, a projected mid-first-round NFL draft choice, to renconstructive knee surgery and also had injuries to linebackers Joe DiBernardo (sprained toe) and Adam Neuheisal (ankle). DiBernardo — an All-American who was in camp with the San Diego Chargers the next summer — played against SFA, even though he could barely move.

Mr C, I'm certainly glad someone with your insight and background finally pointed that out on a message board. Losing a key defensive player is one thing, but losing one of Matt's calibre was crucial. All the depth in the world wouldn't have completely compensated.

KiddBrewer
December 1st, 2005, 03:11 PM
If SIU can keep the emotion of the stadium in check, they've got a real chance to spring the upset (and I think it would be an upset). But if ASU can get the emaotional energy of the place rolling, SIU's in big, big trouble.[/QUOTE]

The emotional energy in Kidd Brewer Stadium will be rolling, no doubt about that. It was rolling last weekend, and with the return of the student section(which gets it rolling in the first place).........its gonna be loud, real loud.

JohnStOnge
December 1st, 2005, 06:48 PM
While the 1999 loss to FAMU was definitely underachieving, the 1995 team was a victim of injuries. If ASU had been healthy, it would have had a shot at the national title. The 1995 team lost All-American cornerback Matt Stevens, a projected mid-first-round NFL draft choice, to renconstructive knee surgery and also had injuries to linebackers Joe DiBernardo (sprained toe) and Adam Neuheisal (ankle). DiBernardo — an All-American who was in camp with the San Diego Chargers the next summer — played against SFA, even though he could barely move. The Mountaineers had no one else available. Even though Marshall and Montana met in the final, I think a lot of us though that McNeese State and Appalachian were the best two teams that year. Would have loved to have seen a Cowboy-Mountaineer final in 95.

Well...I didn't know that. McNeese wasn't as hard hit but did lose a very key player...an all American candidate linebacker whose name I can't even remember right now. I always thought it was key, though, because he was good in pass coverage and Chad Pennington of Marshall just KILLED the Cowboys with crossing patterns to the tight end in the semifinals.

The other thing that happened to McNeese is that they were a "vertical game" team based on Kerry Joseph's powerful arm...but the game was played in 25 to 35 mph winds that were much more suited to Pennington's high percentage, control passing game approach.

blukeys
December 1st, 2005, 06:53 PM

Anytime you guys want a rematch we'll be ready. App State has QB that can pass. (Death to the Salukis) And they aren't an OVC team which is the only way SIU gets a playoff win. :rolleyes:

ASU Kep
December 1st, 2005, 07:08 PM
There is no doubt ASU has underachieved a lot in the playoffs. Anyone suggesting otherwise either is in serious denial, or has not followed ASU long enough to be fully aware of it.

But, in the instances you gave (FAMU in particular), ASU was outplayed by a team who's strengths matched up perfectly with our weaknesses. ASU in those days was a one dimensional team compared to now. Part of the recent evolution of the ASU football program has been building the ability to be effective against with both rush and pass on both offense and defense. The ASU teams of the past were run teams on offense, and strong run defense. A passing team would give us fits, but the SoCon barely had any passing attacks worth a damn.

This year's team is completely different in makeup than any prior ASU playoff team. On offense, yes we run a lot with Williams and Richardson, but remember that last year Richie was a passing fiend too. THere is no doubt Coach Moore loves to run the ball if he can, but if needed ASU can air it out as good as anyone too. And that is an element that we never had in other playoff runs. I suspect this week we'll take to the air more, as that's a known weakness of the SIU defense.

On defense, if ASU can make you one dimensional, you're finished. Lafayette ran the ball well, but it was Davis' throwing that was the big difference. This weekend, I have no doubt they will go to Whitlock early and often. And ASU definitely ccould slow or stop him by loading up on the run. The question becomes can the SIU passing attack take the pressure off of him? If they cannot do it, then SIU is in big trouble. And if ASU can get a lead and force SIU to have to pass a lot, that's when Hunter, Murrell, and Suiter will just pin their ears back and attack the quarterback.

ASU's team is an emotionally charged unit. They feed off of big plays from either side, and they feed off the crowd in a very real way. At times it is a tangible thing you can feel when the ball gets rolling. Look at how Lafayette lost control of the game last week. The defense held LC off the board to allow the offense to get them back even, but still you sensed a lot of fight and positive energy from the Leopards. Then it happened.

The defense made some big stops or forced turnovers, and the offense immediately converted. A big hit or a sack gets the crowd into it, and that got the defense jacked up more. Another turnover, and the next play a score for ASU. Next thing you know, Lafayette for the first time all day looks like a completely outgunned team, and it's game over. That's how it's worked all year long for us, only that turning point at home has usually come a lot earlier than it did in that game.

If SIU can keep the emotion of the stadium in check, they've got a real chance to spring the upset (and I think it would be an upset). But if ASU can get the emaotional energy of the place rolling, SIU's in big, big trouble.

Having beaten all of our opponents by double-digits this year with LC and arguably UTC being the only close games, it's easy to forget too how damn well ASU plays in the fourth. I'll NEVER forget Furman in '04, GSU in '03, and FURMAN '02 (the miracle on the mountain...even though I was not in attendance). For SIU to win this one, they'll likely have to have us down more than two scores at the end of the 3rd. KBS is just crazy in the fourth if it's close (and even if it's not) and App more than any other team I can think of feeds off that energy. SIU is one helluva tough team, but it's a tall, tall order to beat us at the Rock. 42 hours 'til kickoff...GO MOUNTAINEERS!!! :hyped:

Grizo406
December 1st, 2005, 07:14 PM

Thanks for leavin' the Griz outta' that statement. ;)

blackfordpu
December 1st, 2005, 08:44 PM
Thanks for leavin' the Griz outta' that statement. ;)

You guys arn't arrogent grizo, you know you're good. :rotateh:

MarkCCU
December 1st, 2005, 09:06 PM
on Any Given Saturday they can be. I really don't know much bout the team they are against so I can't really decide. I'll root for AppState, but anything is possible my friends

Grizo406
December 2nd, 2005, 02:14 AM
You guys arn't arrogent grizo, you know you're good. :rotateh:

Thanks, bfp, but some of us know that and except the fact that we didn't play to our potential this year. :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

The ones that don't know that still keep yammering about the past, and sometimes rightly so, but...

We'll be better next year, and as much fun as there is to be had at the Crapsville Bar, don't look for us at all next season in that din of iniquity. ;)

AppGuy04
December 2nd, 2005, 07:49 AM
on Any Given Saturday they can be. I really don't know much bout the team they are against so I can't really decide. I'll root for AppState, but anything is possible my friends

tis the reason I bought a CCU shirt the other day, good peoples :nod:

siugrad99
December 2nd, 2005, 08:02 AM
89Hen, drop the chip from your shoulder buddy as it is getting mighty large. I don't know which Saluki pissed in your cornflakes, but your obvious dislike and bias against SIU is pathetic. You destroyed us (and everyone else you played in the 2003 playoffs and with that talent you should have), but this season you were mediocre at best and because of that aren't in the playoffs. Talk crap about us beating the OVC champ in the playoffs, well we are atleast here to get an opportunity to win and seems you might be a bit jealous that the hens are back in the hen house. Talk all you want about who we beat I am not going to list them teams with reasons, we are 9-3 with a chance to go to the semi's ... accept it. You can pick against us all you want, but anytime there is an SIU thread your ugly face always seems to show up (univited). SIU fans don't run to rip Deleware in every thread about them, yet seems you always find your way to us. Get over whatever it is you have against us, we have nothing but respect for Deleware i'm sorry you can't do the same in return.

ASU Kep
December 2nd, 2005, 12:50 PM
Really interesting and funny article:

http://www.leavenworthtimes.com/articles/2005/12/02/sports/sports1.txt

ASU Kep
December 2nd, 2005, 01:01 PM
Probably the most inaccurate reporting I've ever seen, though. "ASU defeated Lafayette 17-10", actual score = 34-23. How hard is that to find?

"Boone, a rural town of 12,000", actually over 30,000 though the population does drop when ASU is out. How hard is that to find?

"A rare television appearance for either school", maybe nationally, but ASU is on TV a lot, my parents in GA have seen about half of our games on TV.

"Division 1-AA"? OK, I'm nitpicking, but come on. I-AA. Right, ralph?

"1:30 p.m." It's actually a 2:30 kick-off here, but they are an hour behind so I'll let it slide.

blur2005
December 2nd, 2005, 01:10 PM
Perhaps pages 2-3 this thread should be move to the Smack area...

Anyway, Furman will lose to Richmond, while App will roll on.

AppGuy04
December 2nd, 2005, 01:13 PM
perhaps that writer should be fired

anyone gonna email these people?

texcap
December 2nd, 2005, 01:44 PM
Probably the most inaccurate reporting I've ever seen, though. "ASU defeated Lafayette 17-10", actual score = 34-23. How hard is that to find?

"Boone, a rural town of 12,000", actually over 30,000 though the population does drop when ASU is out. How hard is that to find?

"A rare television appearance for either school", maybe nationally, but ASU is on TV a lot, my parents in GA have seen about half of our games on TV.

"Division 1-AA"? OK, I'm nitpicking, but come on. I-AA. Right, ralph?

"1:30 p.m." It's actually a 2:30 kick-off here, but they are an hour behind so I'll let it slide.

The population of Boone is somewhat accurate. In the 200 census it is listed at around 13,500. Of course the county is about 45,000. (see http://boonenc.areaconnect.com/statistics.htm)

There is another thing in the story that I question and that is this statement:

"The junior defensive back (the article is refering to A.J. Wallace, a junior at Southern Illinois University) returned a punt 19 yards for a touchdown in the season-opener, a 58-23 victory over Southeast Missouri.

Did he really return a punt for a score and only go 19 yards? That seems hard to believe.

tralfangar
December 2nd, 2005, 03:18 PM
I can't figure you out Kep...sometimes you seem somewhat intelligent...other times...yeah

The population of Boone is right around the student population of ASU, with ASU having a little under a thousand more people. The only thing he got wrong in the article was the television appearances, which as you mentioned could actually be just a viewpoint seeing as how our games are on lesser known networks and not broadcast nationally.

I know you're just irritated that he wrote about our university in a negative way...irritates me too when people write about subjects on which they have no information or faulty information and make assumptions.

ASUMountaineer
December 2nd, 2005, 04:15 PM
I can't figure you out Kep...sometimes you seem somewhat intelligent...other times...yeah

The population of Boone is right around the student population of ASU, with ASU having a little under a thousand more people. The only thing he got wrong in the article was the television appearances, which as you mentioned could actually be just a viewpoint seeing as how our games are on lesser known networks and not broadcast nationally.

I know you're just irritated that he wrote about our university in a negative way...irritates me too when people write about subjects on which they have no information or faulty information and make assumptions.
He also got the final score of the Appalachian/ Lafayette game wrong. He said 17-10, it was actually 34-23. In fact, Appalachian never had a 17-10 lead. That was the score at halftime with Lafayette in front.

ASU Kep
December 2nd, 2005, 04:39 PM

So the final score of the App game was 17-10? I mean, come on, how hard is it to check the scores?

As for the population, I could've sworn I had heard higher. Guess I was wrong :o . Boone does bleed into other areas though, so it seems like there's more people up here I guess. :confused:

And I'm not really irrritated at all, it just struck me as weird that so many things seemed off in the article. I didn't even catch the "19-yard-punt-return" thing. Who punts in that situation? Bobby Lamb?

As for my intelligence...it comes and goes, ya know?

AppState
December 2nd, 2005, 04:40 PM
There is another thing in the story that I question and that is this statement:
"The junior defensive back (the article is refering to A.J. Wallace, a junior at Southern Illinois University) returned a punt 19 yards for a touchdown in the season-opener, a 58-23 victory over Southeast Missouri.
Did he really return a punt for a score and only go 19 yards? That seems hard to believe.

It was the return of a blocked punt, according to the box score.

ASU Kep
December 2nd, 2005, 04:50 PM
It was the return of a blocked punt, according to the box score.

Now THAT makes sense. :hurray:

skinny_uncle
December 2nd, 2005, 08:31 PM
How long is the ASU home winning streak? I know when SIU beat WKU in Bowling Green this year it was the first home loss for the Hilltoppers in two years (also to SIU).

Chi Panther
December 2nd, 2005, 09:33 PM
How long is the ASU home winning streak? I know when SIU beat WKU in Bowling Green this year it was the first home loss for the Hilltoppers in two years (also to SIU).

I can't wait to read Skinny Uncle's insight tomorrow....cuz it couldn't have been any better for the EWU at UNI game.....

GO EGYPTIAN DOGS!!

AppGuy04
December 2nd, 2005, 09:52 PM

16 games overall, 12 in conference

Black and Gold Express
December 2nd, 2005, 09:58 PM

16 games. Last loss was to Maine in 2002.

Mr. C
December 2nd, 2005, 10:38 PM
Mr C, I'm certainly glad someone with your insight and background finally pointed that out on a message board. Losing a key defensive player is one thing, but losing one of Matt's calibre was crucial. All the depth in the world wouldn't have completely compensated.
Matt Stevens' loss was never as apparent as it was on the key play in the fourth quarter of the Stephen F. Austin quarterfinal game. ASU had the ball right around midfield with five minutes or so left, a 17-13 lead and a second and short. They managed to screw up second and third down plays (third down was an ill-conceived option play, if memory serves me). Instead of going for it on fourth and one, ASU punted to pin SFA deep. Two plays later, SFA had a third and long and ASU came with an all-out blitz and their typical press, man-to-man coverage. The SFA quarterback got off the pass just before he was anniliated. The ball sailed over the out-stretched fingertips of 5-foot-9 Elando Johnson and into the hands of the receiver for a first down in ASU territory. From there, SFA went to the ground game and pounded it in for a quick TD. ASU failed to move the ball, SFA got it back and pounded it in for another TD to make it a 27-17 final. If Stevens were in the lineup, that pass probably isn't even attempted and definitely isn't completed. ASU holds SFA without a first down at that point and the game is probably over and the Mountaineers would have been hosting QB Dave Dickenson and Montana the next Saturday in the snow at KBS.

thirdgendin
December 3rd, 2005, 03:17 AM
I didn't even catch the "19-yard-punt-return" thing. Who punts in that situation? Bobby Lamb?

As for my intelligence...it comes and goes, ya know?

Are you serious? For someone to have a 19-yard punt return for a TD, two things must be in place:
1. The kicking team must be VERY deep in their own territory.
2. The kicking team must have a terrible punter.

So, are you saying that every coach in the country except for Bobby Lamb would go for it on fourth down in the shadow of their own goalline?

Wake up! :p

selurfesoy
December 3rd, 2005, 07:12 AM
Getting ready to head toward Boone for the big game with the egyptian dogs in the rain/sleet/snow. Hope the Apps will be dawg catchers but I must admit the game worries me a little.

GIVE EM HELL APPS!!!!!!!!!!!! :hyped: