PDA

View Full Version : Congress meddles in Football, what next?

65 Pard
May 2nd, 2009, 07:58 AM
Does anyone else see the absurdity of Congress trying to force a playoff system?
Next they will be forcing mascot name changes, or maybe unsportsmanlike and taunting rules changes.....

Don't we have wars and economic woes that need attention? Let the free market decide football issues...... What a bunch of morons!!!

Redwyn
May 2nd, 2009, 10:21 AM
Well, I'm not sure I agree. Congress is responsible for dealing with financial trusts, and in every way BCS football is a trust. To add into it, BCS football is a trust that involves - whether emotionally or financially - a substantial part of the United States and funnels millions a year from institution to institution. Thus, it's not about fairness really, but if it's considered a trust for BCS football to reserve money games for a select few, then a playoff system is definitely in Congress' interest.

Thus, it's not about favoring one way or another, it's about ENSURING the free market can exist.

Golden Eagle
May 2nd, 2009, 10:26 AM
It's all about public relations. Congress knows that virtually all college football fans want a playoff, and there's no downside to fighting the "good ol' boys network" that allegedly runs that sport.

nwFL Griz
May 2nd, 2009, 01:58 PM
Does anyone else see the absurdity of Congress trying to force a playoff system?
Next they will be forcing mascot name changes, or maybe unsportsmanlike and taunting rules changes.....

Don't we have wars and economic woes that need attention? Let the free market decide football issues...... What a bunch of morons!!!

Yeah, except the free market has been screaming for years about a playoff. With no result.

Cobblestone
May 2nd, 2009, 02:03 PM
Who cares if FBS ever has a playoff system? Let them continue to have bowel games. It'll makes our playoffs even more interesting. If you take people who are really hungry for college football but don't have a particular connection to an FBS team, they'll be more inclined to watch FCS playoff games.

colorless raider
May 2nd, 2009, 06:01 PM

"moron"...UNDERSTATEMENT.

JayJ79
May 2nd, 2009, 08:01 PM
government has always had a hand in big business, corporations, and the like.

And sports these days are big business when it really gets down to it.
So it doesn't surprise me that government sticks it's hands in the MLB or even in the BCS.
*shrug*

ur2k
May 3rd, 2009, 07:01 PM
Who cares? Just remember that the FCS has the only true NCAA division I championship in the land.

Dane96
May 3rd, 2009, 07:12 PM
Congress has every reason to get involved. The BCS gets an anti-trust exemption.

This is more legal than people think...ie., there are massive issues that have legal/financial implications tied in.

JayJ79
May 3rd, 2009, 07:51 PM
Congress has every reason to get involved. The BCS gets an anti-trust exemption.

This is more legal than people think...ie., there are massive issues that have legal/financial implications tied in.

I don't think anyone was implying that it was ILLEGAL. Just that they thought congress should be expending their efforts and attentions elsewhere.

Dane96
May 3rd, 2009, 11:00 PM
Re-read-- i know what people were implying; I was stating that, by virtue of the antitrust exemption Congress was giving, they have every right to meddle.

That is the title, eh?

bluehenbillk
May 4th, 2009, 06:57 AM
Congress does what the people want & the overwhelming % of people want a playoff. Especially in Texas & Utah. xlolx