PDA

View Full Version : Ex-Vols QB BJ Coleman To Mocs?

FCS Go!
May 1st, 2009, 10:31 PM
Any Mocs fans heard more on this? This would be great for the Mocs.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2009/may/01/coleman-weighing-options/?sportscollege

BossEagle
May 2nd, 2009, 07:29 AM
This is pretty good, hope they get him, Mocs need to do something to make some noise.

paward
May 2nd, 2009, 07:43 AM
Go Mocs! It is only a matter of time before they get all the pieces in the right place and compete well in the SoConn.

Golden Eagle
May 2nd, 2009, 10:27 AM
Go Mocs! It is only a matter of time before they get all the pieces in the right place and compete well in the SoConn.

I read posts just like this one in a 2003 AGS thread about UTC picking up a I-A transfer.

paward
May 2nd, 2009, 11:04 AM
At the time they did not have Coach Huseman. He is a leader and the Mocs will win with him at the helm.

jsugamecocks1
May 2nd, 2009, 10:05 PM
Being from Chatt and know BJ I do know this BJ has a connection to the New Coach through his dad BJ's dad and the coach are friends I believe and from friends in TN BJ wants to come home that would be good for UTC

longtimemocfan
May 3rd, 2009, 10:59 AM
This seems like a done deal. Just be glad when it is officially announced. UTK is taking exams right now. Another rumor off the UT board is that a receiver (Tyler Maples) will also be transferring.

sportsfan
May 3rd, 2009, 10:02 PM
I gotta say this surprises me.

The kid was a 4-star recruit who was, seemingly, playing well for an SEC team.
It isn't like he transferred because he couldn't cut it at UT.. he transferred because of disagreements with the coach.

It just seems like he could go somewhere better, maybe...
-Virginia (fairly nearby and whose QB situation is all kind of up in the air)

-Duke (again semi-local plus Coleman might have been recruited to UT by David Cutcliffe, Duke QB is a Sr this year, Coleman went to an academically prestigious private HS and - I think - was a Dean's Lister at UT... on the downside Duke has a 4-star recruit QB who will be a Redshirt Soph next year waiting to take over)

Indiana (open QB job that might still be up for grabs when Coleman is eligible next year, seems to be moving toward a passer-friendly spread in the post-Kellen Lewis Era, not too far away from home)

Purdue (passer friendly, open QB job)

Even if he wanted to not sit out I don't see why (other than going home) he wouldn't rather go to Eastern Ky (Pass-happy O, not too far away, playoff contender), JMU (powerhouse team, can send guys to NFL camps, had an all-star pocket passer before Landers so it isn't like they must have a running Q like App).
It seems like there are other schools out there with QB jobs to win that are more likely to get the kid to the postseason and get him a chance with an NFL team.

That being said, I can't blame the kid for wanting to go home.

longtimemocfan
May 3rd, 2009, 11:07 PM
You can't hardly blame him for wanting to play now. He has already red shirted a year and is on schedule to graduate early. Going to a FBS school will only cause to sit out yet another year.

chattanoogamocs
May 5th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Being from Chatt and know BJ I do know this BJ has a connection to the New Coach through his dad BJ's dad and the coach are friends I believe and from friends in TN BJ wants to come home that would be good for UTC

BJ's dad and Huesman aren't just friends...they were teammates at Chattanooga...back when Chattanooga was the team everyone else used to fear in the SoCon.

There are also a number of current Mocs that were teammates with BJ at McCallie.

And for whoever said BJ couldn't "cut it" at UT-Knoxville, well, that is a matter of opinion...if not cutting it means having the best spring of any of the 3 QB's, then I guess he can't cut it.

What it really comes down to is that he and Kiffin didn't like each other at all (a problem Kiffin seems to be having with a number of Vols)...so BJ decided to go somewhere else.

sportsfan
May 6th, 2009, 01:28 AM
I said its NOT like BJ couldn't cut it

chattanoogamocs
May 6th, 2009, 07:34 PM
I said its NOT like BJ couldn't cut it

apologies. :)

chattanoogamocs
May 6th, 2009, 09:45 PM
B.J. Coleman Expected To Be A Moc
Former Backup UT Quarterback Holding Press Conference At McCallie
by B.B. Branton
posted May 6, 2009

Click to Enlarge
B.J. Coleman
Former University of Tennessee backup quarterback B.J. Coleman is expected to announce at a Thursday afternoon press conference that he is transferring to UT-Chattanooga to enroll for the 2009 fall semester as a student-athlete and be a member of the Mocs football team.

The 2:30 p.m. press conference will be held in the McCallie School dining hall, which is a couple of football fields from Spears Stadium where he starred for the Blue Tornado.

The two-time all-state quarterback in 2005 and 2006 is a redshirt freshman at UT and saw limited playing time at quarterback for the Vols this past fall.

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_150636.asp

chattanoogamocs
May 7th, 2009, 12:00 AM
B.J. Coleman will sign to play football at UTC

In a decision that has been widely expected for several days, former McCallie School quarterback B.J. Coleman made it official Wednesday night by confirming to the Times Free Press that he will sign scholarship papers with the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga on Thursday.

Coleman, who left the University of Tennessee program two weeks ago, had spoken with several other teams before deciding to return home. He was in Knoxville on Wednesday but planned to return to Chattanooga Thursday morning to sign the paperwork and there is a 2:30 press conference scheduled today at McCallie.

“I’m excited,” Coleman said. “I think there are big things coming for the UTC program with this new staff, and I can’t wait to be a part of it and just get back to concentrating on football.”

rest of the article: http://timesfreepress.com/news/2009/may/07/bj-coleman-will-sign-play-football-utc/