PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Season Polls???

blitz4
April 28th, 2009, 03:29 PM
Is there any new pre-season polls out? When do they typically start coming out?

Go Lehigh TU owl
April 28th, 2009, 04:07 PM
The magazines come out right around Memorial Day. The media polls usually come out the first or second week of August.

TexasTerror
April 28th, 2009, 06:00 PM
There's information related to the AGS Poll under that area. I think someone just posted some information pertaining to the first vote over there.

jmufan999
April 29th, 2009, 09:28 AM
who do you guys like as of right now? i have waffled on this OVER and OVER again...

first, i wanted to put Villanova at the top. Then, i remembered the national champion Spiders will be strong again, minus the stud D-ends and RB (right?)... and of course, App State is always in the discussion.

right now, those are my three vying for the top spot. i'll give the edge to U of R for right now, but it's close. watching them play in the postseason was very impressive.

89Hen
April 29th, 2009, 09:37 AM
who do you guys like as of right now? i have waffled on this OVER and OVER again...

first, i wanted to put Villanova at the top. Then, i remembered the national champion Spiders will be strong again, minus the stud D-ends and RB (right?)... and of course, App State is always in the discussion.

right now, those are my three vying for the top spot. i'll give the edge to U of R for right now, but it's close. watching them play in the postseason was very impressive.
Honestly, I wish there was a way to have no #1. Just start several teams at the #2 spot and continue from there. :p

andy7171
April 29th, 2009, 09:39 AM
I bet Delaware gets a pre-season ranking, based on nothing but the Penn State transfer.

xrolleyesx

danefan
April 29th, 2009, 09:40 AM
Honestly, I wish there was a way to have no #1. Just start several teams at the #2 spot and continue from there. :p

I'm voting Albany #1 and Harvard #2.

Gil Dobie
April 29th, 2009, 09:47 AM
I'm voting Albany #1 and Harvard #2.

2 first place votes for Albany then xeyebrowx

elon77
April 29th, 2009, 10:03 AM
New poll just out, Elon #1, ASU #2, Wofford #3, GSU #4 and everyone else competing for #5 on down. :D

GannonFan
April 29th, 2009, 10:14 AM
I bet Delaware gets a pre-season ranking, based on nothing but the Penn State transfer.

xrolleyesx

Well, Devlin did look extremely good in the Spring Game and the main culprit in last year's slide was the lack of a QB, so it's not farfetched at all to have UD in the top 25. They'll be there in my poll. xthumbsupx

danefan
April 29th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Well, Devlin did look extremely good in the Spring Game and the main culprit in last year's slide was the lack of a QB, so it's not farfetched at all to have UD in the top 25. They'll be there in my poll. xthumbsupx

I don't think its far fetched to see Delaware make a strong comeback this year.

But, I'm not sold on including them in the top 25 after a 4-8 year based solely on the hopes of a transfer QB's performance in spring practice. Win September 12th and then they should be in the top 25.

danefan
April 29th, 2009, 10:28 AM
2 first place votes for Albany then xeyebrowx

xlolxxnodx;)xreadx

Seriously though, even though it sounds totally homerish, Albany is a legit top 25 team this year, IMO.

They should start out in the top 25 and we'll know after week three whether this will be the first year of an NEC at-large. There are two realistic wins in the first three games (GSU, Umass and Maine).

andy7171
April 29th, 2009, 11:20 AM

Along with the other 148 Blue Hen fans here. Which is why I said it. They are a lock in any pre-season poll.

89Hen
April 29th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Along with the other 148 Blue Hen fans here. Which is why I said it. They are a lock in any pre-season poll.
Either you're saying that just for effect or you don't follow the AGS poll very closely. Hen fans are harder on the Hens than anyone else. I kid you not. xnodx xnodx xnodx

GannonFan
April 29th, 2009, 11:47 AM
I don't think its far fetched to see Delaware make a strong comeback this year.

But, I'm not sold on including them in the top 25 after a 4-8 year based solely on the hopes of a transfer QB's performance in spring practice. Win September 12th and then they should be in the top 25.

Like I said, they were 1 QB away from being a playoff team last year, and now they have that QB. I know it was hard for you to see, considering what Schoenhoft was able to do to the Albany defense, but outside of that one game he was as bad as they come. Couple that with the fact that UD's rookie offensive coordinator has been replaced by a pretty seasoned one, and all indications point to a very good year for the Hens.

Either you're saying that just for effect or you don't follow the AGS poll very closely. Hen fans are harder on the Hens than anyone else. I kid you not. xnodx xnodx xnodx

Agree with 89Hen here - heck, UD fans are among the most pessimistic out there. If the Hens are in the top 25 poll it will be because of voters with no allegiance to UD.

93henfan
April 29th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Hen fans are harder on the Hens than anyone else. I kid you not. xnodx xnodx xnodx

And if you don't believe that, check out GoHens.net. It's like Jerry Springer over there. Half the people are saying the Hens will go 8-3 and the other half say 3-8.

coover
April 29th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Pre-season polls are worth about as much as you can sell them for. Any one want to bid on one here?

andy7171
April 29th, 2009, 01:58 PM

Like I said, they were 1 QB away from being a playoff team last year, and now they have that QB. I know it was hard for you to see, considering what Schoenhoft was able to do to the Albany defense, but outside of that one game he was as bad as they come. Couple that with the fact that UD's rookie offensive coordinator has been replaced by a pretty seasoned one, and all indications point to a very good year for the Hens.

Agree with 89Hen here - heck, UD fans are among the most pessimistic out there. If the Hens are in the top 25 poll it will be because of voters with no allegiance to UD.

And if you don't believe that, check out GoHens.net. It's like Jerry Springer over there. Half the people are saying the Hens will go 8-3 and the other half say 3-8.

All you Hen fans can bite me!

:D

straightshooter
April 29th, 2009, 02:05 PM
So let me get this straight. Albany starts the season 2-1, with wins over Umass and Maine?

danefan
April 29th, 2009, 02:31 PM
So let me get this straight. Albany starts the season 2-1, with wins over Umass and Maine?

There's a chance of that. I'm saying that it is realistic to see wins over two of the three (GSU, UMass or Maine). GSU will be the toughest, IMO because of travel and the potential for horrendously hot and humid weather in Stateboro.

bluehenbillk
April 29th, 2009, 02:49 PM
There's a chance of that. I'm saying that it is realistic to see wins over two of the three (GSU, UMass or Maine). GSU will be the toughest, IMO because of travel and the potential for horrendously hot and humid weather in Stateboro.

Not the Albany team I saw last year in Newark.

mcveyrl
April 29th, 2009, 03:01 PM
FWIW, Delaware will definitely be in my Top 25. I think Devlin's the real deal.

EDIT: I'm considering leaving Albany out ONLY because I love danefan's responses to the poll threads. :p

straightshooter
April 29th, 2009, 03:07 PM
I would agree that GSU will be the toughest because of the reasons you mentioned. I think the overall speed of GSU will come into play as well. Albany will have a size advantage, but the speed advantage will definitely go to GSU. Since Hatcher's arrival in Statesboro, he has recruited fast WR, LB and DB. Most think that 2010 is the year that GSU will be back in the upper level of FCS, but they've got a chance to make noise in '09. The away schedule is brutal, and Albany will be a really good test. If they can handle the speed and the heat, they've got a shot.

danefan
April 29th, 2009, 03:22 PM

That's the truth. Albany would have trouble beating St Francis playing the way they played in Newark last year.

Believe me, that was far from indicative of the Albany team. Unfortunately it was a wasted opportunity to showcase the higher level of play that is occuring in the NEC as of late.

jstclmet
April 29th, 2009, 03:24 PM

You can't blame last season's debacle all on RS. UD had O-Line troubles, the new OC, and if I recall correctly some injuries on the defense. To say that you were one Position (QB) away from the playoffs is delusional. This position contributed to your downfall, but was not the sole reason for your 4 - 8 season as will be evidenced by your record this year.

They should start out in the top 25 and we'll know after week three whether this will be the first year of an NEC at-large. There are two realistic wins in the first three games (GSU, Umass and Maine).

Dude, no disrepect intended, but I can't see Albany being any better than 0 - 3 after those first 3 games. Good luck trying thoughxwhistlex

danefan
April 29th, 2009, 03:24 PM
FWIW, Delaware will definitely be in my Top 25. I think Devlin's the real deal.

EDIT: I'm considering leaving Albany out ONLY because I love danefan's responses to the poll threads. :p

:) :) :)
Hahaha! And please DO vote Harvard in the top 15. :p

mcveyrl
April 29th, 2009, 03:26 PM
:) :) :)
Hahaha! And please DO vote Harvard in the top 15. :p

You know me. I'm an Ivy League apologist, so SOMEBODY will be up there.

danefan
April 29th, 2009, 03:27 PM
You can't blame last season's debacle all on RS. UD had O-Line troubles, the new OC, and if I recall correctly some injuries on the defense. To say that you were one Position (QB) away from the playoffs is delusional. This position contributed to your downfall, but was not the sole reason for your 4 - 8 season as will be evidenced by your record this year.

Dude, no disrepect intended, but I can't see Albany being any better than 0 - 3 after those first 3 games. Good luck trying thoughxwhistlex

What are you basing your opinion on? Just pure speculation?

Tribe4SF
April 29th, 2009, 03:41 PM

I haven't seen anyone on GoHens predicting 3-8. Plenty predicting 8-3, though.

OL FU
April 29th, 2009, 03:46 PM

Hey, He has spunk and optimism and is willing to go out on a limb. Because everyone will rememberxsmiley_wix

Me I can't even remember who Furman plays the first three games other than none of the opponents are Delaware:D

jstclmet
April 29th, 2009, 03:58 PM
What are you basing your opinion on? Just pure speculation?

63 schollies, Defense, coaching, UMass, UMaine (you've already conceded the GSU game) will be bigger, stronger, faster.

Your Run game was your biggest asset last year, and it worked in your league. While your goal is to win two of the 3 aforementioned games, exactly who or which game do you think you have the best shot of stealing one from???

Gil Dobie
April 29th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Will the UNI Panters be a top 5 team?

danefan
April 29th, 2009, 05:55 PM
63 schollies, Defense, coaching, UMass, UMaine (you've already conceded the GSU game) will be bigger, stronger, faster.

Your Run game was your biggest asset last year, and it worked in your league. While your goal is to win two of the 3 aforementioned games, exactly who or which game do you think you have the best shot of stealing one from???

Don't forget it also worked against Hofstra and pretty well against UMass and UNH.

I haven't conceded the GSU game, I just said it will be the toughest of the three because of travel and the potential for hot and humid weather conditions.

We have a QB with another year as a starter under his belt and our #1 WR is coming back for a 6th year. Our passing game should be improved.

I don't think its stealing games anymore for Albany. Teams prepare for Albany the same way they prepare for 63 scholarship teams.

I think its realistic to see very close game at UMass and home against Maine. The UMass game was very tight last year for most of the game and with Coen making some great plays, Albany could have won.

And you're going to be hard-pressed to find a team at any level coached better than a Bob Ford coached team.

achrist70
April 29th, 2009, 06:40 PM

We're not in the CAAxrolleyesx

scotte303
April 29th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Go Rhode Island Rams..TOP 25 this year...wait and see!

GannonFan
April 29th, 2009, 08:32 PM

Not quite as your delusional pick for JMU to barely be .500 and out of the playoffs last year, but hey, I guess you know from delusional then. xlolx

But yes, almost all of the problems were with the QB. The offensive line didn't start to be a problem until about the 5th game in the season, by which time it was clear that the QB was a turnover machine and had no ability to throw. Before there was ample film to prove that, the offensive line did pretty well against the Maryland's and Furman's of the world.

The defense had injuries, sure, but that just revealed how deep UD was on defense - losing all those starters with nary a dropoff. The biggest problem for the defense was all those 3 and outs the offense but up because of the QB.

And yeah, the OC wasn't too good. But he just calls the plays. Tough to call plays when you know your QB is terrible.

But hey I know you're on the record that a UD/Devlin team will struggle to equal last year's win total. Again, you certainly know from delusional!! xlolx

gbhmt
April 29th, 2009, 09:15 PM

top ten

edit: at least, that is

ValleyChamp
April 29th, 2009, 09:25 PM
I think UNI will be in the 5-7 range when the poll comes out.

seantaylor
April 29th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Don't forget it also worked against Hofstra and pretty well against UMass and UNH.

I haven't conceded the GSU game, I just said it will be the toughest of the three because of travel and the potential for hot and humid weather conditions.

We have a QB with another year as a starter under his belt and our #1 WR is coming back for a 6th year. Our passing game should be improved.

I don't think its stealing games anymore for Albany. Teams prepare for Albany the same way they prepare for 63 scholarship teams.

I think its realistic to see very close game at UMass and home against Maine. The UMass game was very tight last year for most of the game and with Coen making some great plays, Albany could have won.

And you're going to be hard-pressed to find a team at any level coached better than a Bob Ford coached team.

GSU is going to be the toughest because of the home field advantage. Our opener, and will have 20,000+ rabid fans looking for blood. It should be about 100 degrees as well. You won't see anything like that at UMASS or Maine.

danefan
April 30th, 2009, 09:02 AM
GSU is going to be the toughest because of the home field advantage. Our opener, and will have 20,000+ rabid fans looking for blood. It should be about 100 degrees as well. You won't see anything like that at UMASS or Maine.

The weather will be a huge factor.

The stadium atmosphere won't be anything new to the Albany guys though. They have played at Montana and Delaware in back-to-back years. While I have heard that GSU is a wonderful atmosphere, there is nothing like Montana when it comes to noise and in-your-face fans. There is literally about 10 feet of sideline to work with on the visitor's side. The fans are sitting on top of the bench.

MaroonDoom
April 30th, 2009, 09:14 AM
In the OVC is can see UTM being top 15.

danefan
April 30th, 2009, 09:39 AM

Honest question - why should UTM be a top 15 team?

Gil Dobie
April 30th, 2009, 10:00 AM
South Dakota St should get some looks in the early poll.

mcveyrl
April 30th, 2009, 10:03 AM

Honest question - why should UTM be a top 15 team?

I think he meant Top 15 in the OVC, right? xconfusedx:D

terrierbob
April 30th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Is there a preseason poll out (a legitimate one)?

danefan
April 30th, 2009, 10:32 AM
How high should Weber St. be? I would venture a near top 10 right?

Dane96
April 30th, 2009, 10:41 AM

True-- horrid game.

However, we really should have and could have beaten a UMASS squad that was much better than UMASS this year. I dont see Maine improving either.

So...I would think those are the winnable games....and possibily a real bad matchup for us against GSU.

That being said, I am not as sold on the Danes this year as Danefan is. I think we have to replace way...way too much on the O-line and we lose a lot of size. I that team came back from last year...no doubt I would think the Danes could squeeze a Top 20 ranking all year long.

Dane96
April 30th, 2009, 10:48 AM

You dont get out much...do you.

Albany ran big against every team but ONE! That includes 181 yards against UMASS and about 200 against Hofstra.

One team held UA to under 100 yards rushing, UNH at 99 yards...and we were still in that game.

Next argument?

danefan
April 30th, 2009, 11:03 AM
True-- horrid game.

However, we really should have and could have beaten a UMASS squad that was much better than UMASS this year. I dont see Maine improving either.

So...I would think those are the winnable games....and possibily a real bad matchup for us against GSU.

That being said, I am not as sold on the Danes this year as Danefan is. I think we have to replace way...way too much on the O-line and we lose a lot of size. I that team came back from last year...no doubt I would think the Danes could squeeze a Top 20 ranking all year long.

I've been hearing some really good things about the O-line replacements from spring ball. Who knows how that will carry over though. Should get more info at the golf outing in July.

jstclmet
April 30th, 2009, 11:30 AM
You dont get out much...do you.

Albany ran big against every team but ONE! That includes 181 yards against UMASS and about 200 against Hofstra.

One team held UA to under 100 yards rushing, UNH at 99 yards...and we were still in that game.

Next argument?

Then you probably wanna have the people who update the UA website make a correction regarding the UA vs UD game. For some strange reason, they have Total Net Rushing yards as a whopping 57 against UD. You'd better straighten dem guys out in a hurry.

And you beat a weakend Hofstra in OT in week #2, when I believe they were on their 3rd QB, having lost the first two to injuries.

In 08, rushing was what you did best, so putting up 100+ yds @ game in all but 2 should have been the expectation.

I don't want to get in a tit for tat with you guys. I'm happy that you feel good about your program, and your program is on the rise. In time, the NEC may be able to stand toe to toe with the rest of FCS. I just don't see it happening in 09.xnonox

Again, I wish you good luck. xthumbsupx

LUHawker
April 30th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Will any Patriot League teams make the top 25 to open the season? I think Holy Cross has a chance and voters seem to put Colgate in there often, but I'm not sure after how they performed in the playoffs last year.

By the end of the season, I think we could have two in there - I'm just not sure which two.

Syntax Error
April 30th, 2009, 11:36 AM
How high should Weber St. be? I would venture a near top 10 right?

Might be stretching it

danefan
April 30th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Might be stretching it

You think? Where do you put them? One-year fluke? Offense should be pretty good next year.

Syntax Error
April 30th, 2009, 11:40 AM
You think? Where do you put them? One-year fluke? Offense should be pretty good next year.

I'm thinking tweens, maybe what you are thinking, but not top 10

Syntax Error
April 30th, 2009, 11:42 AM
EWU is not laying down this year and should be a real force in the BSC

danefan
April 30th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Then you probably wanna have the people who update the UA website make a correction regarding the UA vs UD game. For some strange reason, they have Total Net Rushing yards as a whopping 57 against UD. You'd better straighten dem guys out in a hurry.

And you beat a weakend Hofstra in OT in week #2, when I believe they were on their 3rd QB, having lost the first two to injuries.

In 08, rushing was what you did best, so putting up 100+ yds @ game in all but 2 should have been the expectation.

I don't want to get in a tit for tat with you guys. I'm happy that you feel good about your program, and your program is on the rise. In time, the NEC may be able to stand toe to toe with the rest of FCS. I just don't see it happening in 09.xnonox

Again, I wish you good luck. xthumbsupx

I think he was discussing everything but the Delaware game as all Albany fans would say (and he did the post above the quoted one) that was an absolutely horrendous game.

I think you are overlooking the strides Albany has made in relation to the "rest of FCS" as you put it.
Albany can stand toe-to-toe with any school from the mid-level of the FCS (Big South, MEAC, PL, Ivy, OVC, etc....).

Do you at least recognize that?

danefan
April 30th, 2009, 11:48 AM
I'm thinking tweens, maybe what you are thinking, but not top 10

I'm having trouble with the entire middle of my bracket right now.
Preseason polls are tough.

Syntax Error
April 30th, 2009, 11:57 AM
I'm having trouble with the entire middle of my bracket right now.
Preseason polls are tough.Just saying, look at the star players coming back, backups with significant time for leaving players, measure that with what the rest of the conference has, then the cream rises and you have about 30-40 teams to rank for the preseason poll.

Yeah, a lot to look at but we here at AGS get so much more info to make an educated ranking.

Maroon&White
April 30th, 2009, 12:45 PM
The weather will be a huge factor.

I still have to laugh about that. Reminds me of when GSU came up to Northeastern, and all I was hearing was complaining from GSU people on how hot it was in Brookline.

Of course GSU fans were saying the same thing when CCSU went down. How the weather would be a factor. That obviously turned out to be true xrolleyesx

danefan
April 30th, 2009, 12:49 PM
I still have to laugh about that. Reminds me of when GSU came up to Northeastern, and all I was hearing was complaining from GSU people on how hot it was in Brookline.

Of course GSU fans were saying the same thing when CCSU went down. How the weather would be a factor. That obviously turned out to be true xrolleyesx

xthumbsupxxthumbsupx

Very true my friend. Very true.

Both teams have to play in it. That's for sure.

Uncle Buck
April 30th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Don't forget it also worked against Hofstra and pretty well against UMass and UNH. .

I wasn't going to jump in, but everyone ran well against Hofstra last year. HU gave the game away with the freshman kicker driving FG attempts into the back of his center's head. Albany was lucky to get the win against a bad team.

I take nothing away from that RB, he was dynamite, but 2-1 will be a tough accomplishment. But hey, in the spring, everyone has their rose colored glasses on. Even Hofstra looked pretty good in the spring game xcoolx

89Hen
April 30th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Even Hofstra looked pretty good in the spring game xcoolx
That's due to the opponent. xwhistlex :p xsmiley_wix

jstclmet
April 30th, 2009, 01:52 PM
I think he was discussing everything but the Delaware game as all Albany fans would say (and he did the post above the quoted one) that was an absolutely horrendous game.

I think you are overlooking the strides Albany has made in relation to the "rest of FCS" as you put it.
Albany can stand toe-to-toe with any school from the mid-level of the FCS (Big South, MEAC, PL, Ivy, OVC, etc....).

Do you at least recognize that?

I thought I began my initial post by saying "I mean no disrepect". I just didn't agree with the 2 - 1 projection. I do believe Albany and the rest of the NEC are moving in a positive direction. Maybe some moreso than others. I think there is a light at the end of the tunnel. In time, that 2 - 1 projection may become a reality. Just not yet, IMHO.

89Hen
April 30th, 2009, 01:54 PM
I could see 7 CAA teams in the Top 25... Richmond, JMU, Delaware, W&M, UMass, UNH and Maine.

This post was to bait jstclmet in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1........

mcveyrl
April 30th, 2009, 01:56 PM
I could see 7 CAA teams in the Top 25... Richmond, JMU, Delaware, W&M, UMass, UNH and Maine.

This post was to bait jstclmet in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1........

Easy there....your Villanova hate is showing. xsmiley_wix

EDIT: AHHHH! Busted.

jstclmet
April 30th, 2009, 02:00 PM

Naah, he had the right number, but his alzheimer's kicked in, and he forgot how bad UD was in 08 and how good Nova was/is. No malice intended. We can excuse him for that. xpeacex

89Hen
April 30th, 2009, 02:00 PM

Caught the wrong fish. :p

mcveyrl
April 30th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Caught the wrong fish. :p

It's a more impressive catch.

Like going for sea bass and catching a great white. :D

Uncle Buck
April 30th, 2009, 02:13 PM
That's due to the opponent. xwhistlex :p xsmiley_wix

I knew i was leaving myself open to that one. My buddy told me the same thing when we were leaving the stadium on Saturday.

Tough to tell if it was good offense or bad defense!

Gil Dobie
April 30th, 2009, 02:15 PM

Isn't Delaware farther east then Nova, hence east coast bias. xoopsx

89Hen
April 30th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Isn't Delaware farther east then Nova, hence east coast bias. xoopsx
xeekx I hope you know your geography a little better than that. Going west to east in CAA football

JMU > UR > W&M > Towson > UD > Nova > Hofstra > UMass > UNH > URI > NU > Maine... hence my love of the Black Bears. Not sure anyone is further east then them. :p

bostonspider
April 30th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Umm... I think UNH is east of both URI and Northeastern.

89Hen
April 30th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Umm... I think UNH is east of both URI and Northeastern.
Eh they're all on top of one another. :p

Syntax Error
April 30th, 2009, 02:55 PM
I think MVFC and CAA have the same amount of teams in the preseason AGS poll and the same chance to win the NCAA trophy.

Gil Dobie
April 30th, 2009, 03:10 PM
I think MVFC and CAA have the same amount of teams in the preseason AGS poll and the same chance to win the NCAA trophy.

I was thinking 3 MVFC teams for sure, UNI, SIU and SDSU. Maybe WIU, MSU and/or Youngstown will be towards the bottom of the poll.

GannonFan
April 30th, 2009, 03:17 PM

Mathematically they have the same chance (well, outside the difference in total teams, but generally speaking), but a current member of the MVFC hasn't won a national title since YSU won the title in their innaugural year in the MVFC back in 1997. That's a long dry spell for the conference.

Gil Dobie
April 30th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Mathematically they have the same chance (well, outside the difference in total teams, but generally speaking), but a current member of the MVFC hasn't won a national title since YSU won the title in their innaugural year in the MVFC back in 1997. That's a long dry spell for the conference.

Curious why WKU doesn't count, even though they were a member when they won? xcoffeex

ValleyChamp
April 30th, 2009, 03:20 PM
I was thinking 3 MVFC teams for sure, UNI, SIU and SDSU. Maybe WIU, MSU and/or Youngstown will be towards the bottom of the poll.

WIU and MSU will NOT be ranked.

danefan
April 30th, 2009, 03:21 PM
WIU and MSU will NOT be ranked.

Will not or should not? If should not, why? (honest question - not smack)

89Hen
April 30th, 2009, 03:37 PM
I think MVFC and CAA have the same amount of teams in the preseason AGS poll
Same chance to win the title, sure. Same number of teams in the poll, dunno. You have a couple of locks in the MV, a couple of probables, a couple of maybes and a couple of nos. In the CAA it's the samy thing, but make the "couple" three and you see why it's doubful. Maybe you could say same percentage of the conference in the poll, but not same number.

CAA
Richmond
Villanova
James Madison

New Hampshire
Massachusetts
Maine

Delaware
Hofstra
William & Mary

Towson
Northeastern
Rhode Island

MVFC
Southern Illinois
Northern Iowa

North Dakota State
South Dakota State

Youngstown State
Western Illinois
Illinois State

Missouri State
Indiana State

ValleyChamp
April 30th, 2009, 03:41 PM

Should not. I don't see any reason for either of them to be considered at this point.

WIU is losing Herb Donaldson who accounted for about 80% of their offense last season. They showed last year that they really struggled to throw the ball, and without Donaldson to run the ball, they could be in trouble.

MSU is just not that good yet. They may have had a decent recruiting class, but that doesn't put a team in the top 25 in one season. They were terrible last year.

RabidRabbit
April 30th, 2009, 05:00 PM

Should not.

WIU (and 'Necker fans please modify if info provided) - Graduated their stud running back, and returning QB is a so-so 3rd year starter. On D, they likewise graduated their star, and no superstars returning.

MSU - May be better than last year's team which was decimated by injury by Nov., and were handed their heads in Brookings, and escaped in OT vs ISU Blue. Nothing substantially changed to indicate that they'll be above where they finished last season.

YSU is going to be the big xconfusedxxconfusedx team to pick this year. They were jelling into a better team toward the end of the season.

But the top 3 MVFC are all returning most elements of their team, and will be tough to dislodge out of the top three slots this '09 season.

Redbirdz
April 30th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Add Jacksonville State in there somewhere. When they get through Ga. Tech and Florida State (ouch), they should be on a roll in the FCS.

slycat
April 30th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Pre season polls should not be taken seriously. They are for fun anyway. It ranks some teams too high/low, and ends up messing up the rankings.

UMass, Delaware, NDSU, McNeese, and EWU were all ranked in the top 11 last year and all were average.

danefan
April 30th, 2009, 05:48 PM
Pre season polls should not be taken seriously. They are for fun anyway. It ranks some teams too high/low, and ends up messing up the rankings.

UMass, Delaware, NDSU, McNeese, and EWU were all ranked in the top 11 last year and all were average.

Here's the problem - they mean nothing for any conference except the NEC.

Conditional AQ:

1. 8 DI wins
2. 2 OOC wins over AQ conference teams
3. Average ranking of 16 or better in Coaches, Sports Network and Modified GPI

It will become very difficult for an NEC team to rise to top 16 in the polls without being ranked in the preseason.

The AGS poll is for fun as it is not included in any of the 3 polls/ranking that are averaged. But there are cross-over voters in the Sports Network and AGS poll that should take both seriously.

TexasTerror
April 30th, 2009, 06:18 PM
The AGS poll is for fun as it is not included in any of the 3 polls/ranking that are averaged. But there are cross-over voters in the Sports Network and AGS poll that should take both seriously.

I submit the same ballot for both. xthumbsupx

Lumberjacks76
April 30th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Add Jacksonville State in there somewhere. When they get through Ga. Tech and Florida State (ouch), they should be on a roll in the FCS.

Jacksonville State has a sound playoff history. Don't count them out:

http://michigan-football.com/ncaa/f/jackstat.htm

Paul

eaglesrthe1
May 1st, 2009, 06:02 PM

Who cares about the fans complaining? They don't step on the field. We do have AC in the south.

You're fooling yourself if you think that weather isn't a factor, and I wouldn't base anything in the future off of a game that Van Gorder coached.

When teams are evenly matched and the visitors are from another zone, then go with GSU at home in Sept, and Montana at home in Nov, and you'll win far more than you lose.

UAalum72
May 1st, 2009, 07:29 PM
When teams are evenly matched and the visitors are from another zone, then go with GSU at home in Sept, and Montana at home in Nov, and you'll win far more than you lose.
Of course you'd win more than you'd lose betting on the home team in any case, no matter the date.

Average high temp in Statesboro on Sept. 5 is 87, not 100. (record is 99). Assuming it's a night game the temp will be in the low 80s? It isn't November, Albany will be practicing in the 80s all August.

bigappfan10
May 1st, 2009, 07:33 PM
Breaking News!

I just saw a release of next year's poll!

I copied it straight from AP news...

1. ASU
2. Everyone else.

(four out of five ain't bad)

McNeese75
May 1st, 2009, 09:01 PM
Of course you'd win more than you'd lose betting on the home team in any case, no matter the date.

Average high temp in Statesboro on Sept. 5 is 87, not 100. (record is 99). Assuming it's a night game the temp will be in the low 80s? It isn't November, Albany will be practicing in the 80s all August.

September 5th weather in New York or Statesboro???? I'll take New York every time (then there are those gnats to deal with as well xcoolx)

apaladin
May 1st, 2009, 09:04 PM
New poll just out, Elon #1, ASU #2, Wofford #3, GSU #4 and everyone else competing for #5 on down. :D

You FINALLY beat Furman and now you've lost all respect.

ASU
May 1st, 2009, 11:23 PM
I believe they name the Gnats in Statesboro and have them as the 12th, 13th, etc. members of the team. That drainage ditch that they call a creek breeds them like little "Willards".

It's not the temperature there in August....it's the humidity. Wear a wet suit....it's like walking through water.....hot water that you find it hard to breathe through.

seantaylor
May 3rd, 2009, 12:25 AM

What you are forgetting is the humidity. It is always in the 90's in the Boro in September. Never fails.

gophoenix
May 4th, 2009, 07:32 AM
You FINALLY beat Furman and now you've lost all respect.

We've beaten Furman in the past too xrolleyesx

whoanellie
May 4th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Who cares about the fans complaining? They don't step on the field. We do have AC in the south.

You're fooling yourself if you think that weather isn't a factor, and I wouldn't base anything in the future off of a game that Van Gorder coached.

There would not be a "new" south without A/C.

LakesBison
May 4th, 2009, 07:26 PM
NDSU was #1 last year, dont see why they cant be #10 this year!

MSUBear42
May 5th, 2009, 11:35 PM
Same chance to win the title, sure. Same number of teams in the poll, dunno. You have a couple of locks in the MV, a couple of probables, a couple of maybes and a couple of nos. In the CAA it's the samy thing, but make the "couple" three and you see why it's doubful. Maybe you could say same percentage of the conference in the poll, but not same number.

MVFC
Southern Illinois
Northern Iowa

North Dakota State
South Dakota State

Youngstown State
Western Illinois
Illinois State

Missouri State
Indiana State

Wondering why you put MSU, who finished 6th last season, in the bottom 2 of the MVFC?

If we didn't get completely demoralized in the loss to SIU last season, we probably would have won at least one more game (other than SIU). Not to mention we were without 5 or 6 starters the majority of the conference season.

Last years standings:
Northern Iowa 7-1 12-3
Southern Illinois 7-1 9-3
South Dakota State 6-2 7-5
North Dakota State 4-4 6-5
Western Illinois 4-4 6-5
Missouri State 3-5 4-7
Youngstown St. 3-5 4-8
Illinois St. 2-6 3-8
Indiana State 0-8 0-12

uofmman1122
May 6th, 2009, 02:30 AM
NDSU was #1 last year, dont see why they cant be #10 this year!Judging by what's happened in the off-season, as well as what happened last season, I can think of about 5 good reasons why they shouldn't. xlolx

Gil Dobie
May 6th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Judging by what's happened in the off-season, as well as what happened last season, I can think of about 5 good reasons why they shouldn't. xlolx

I wasn't planning on putting NDSU in my top 25, and I doubt they will make any of the polls because of the recent player actions. This could be good for the team now that the troublemakers are gone. Maybe the team will rally and make a possible appearance in the polls later in the season. And yet maybe not, time will tell.