PDA

View Full Version : Coliseum games give TSU an empty feeling

dbackjon
November 30th, 2005, 09:17 AM
Tigers enjoy playing in NFL stadium, but don't feel at home

By MAURICE PATTON
Staff Writer

Is Tennessee State getting the seven-year itch? And do the Tigers have the scratch to take care of it?

One of the conditions for the construction of the Coliseum for the Tennessee Titans was that TSU be allowed to play its home games there as well. Both teams have occupied the facility on the east bank of the Cumberland River since the 1999 season.

Over time, though, the arrangement has become less of a privilege and more of a punishment for the Tigers — or certainly for some TSU supporters, who embrace the notion of renovating or rebuilding Hale Stadium on the school's Nashville campus and moving TSU's home games back there

Rest of the article here:

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051130/SPORTS0604/511300442/1002/SPORTS

BigApp
November 30th, 2005, 10:54 AM
:confused: I thought hbcu's drew millions of fans to games??

TexasTerror
November 30th, 2005, 11:07 AM
They should play at a HS stadium...

I'm sure there's a halfway decent one that'd be better than most I-AA stadiums within 15 miles of campus.

SLC almost had a SFA/McN game at Galena Park ISD stadium here in Houston area before McN threw an uproar...

TxSt02
November 30th, 2005, 04:19 PM
:confused: I thought hbcu's drew millions of fans to games??
Maybe if they titled each of their home games a "classic" they would...

SU Jag
November 30th, 2005, 04:35 PM
TSU needs to move its home games on-campus! They play all of there big games in other stadiums anyway. The Atlanta Football Classic against FAMU, and the Southern Heritage Classic against Jackson State. The rest of their games should be played on campus. I thing not being a better conference hurts their attendence.

jstate83
November 30th, 2005, 04:51 PM
They talking about moving home games back on campus.
They better plan some MAJOR renovations at that place.

jstate83
November 30th, 2005, 04:55 PM
TSU needs to move its home games on-campus! They play all of there big games in other stadiums anyway. The Atlanta Football Classic against FAMU, and the Southern Heritage Classic against Jackson State. The rest of their games should be played on campus. I thing not being a better conference hurts their attendence.

That's the conference they picked ....................no one to blame but themselves. :)

dbackjon
November 30th, 2005, 04:58 PM
That's the conference they picked ....................no one to blame but themselves. :)

And what other options does TSU have? OVC gives them 4 schools within two hours. No other conference will do that. And football-wise, OVC is probably better than the SWAC, and much better basketball-wise.

bigbluetiger
November 30th, 2005, 08:28 PM
OVC Fans don't travel. The don't send band or cheerleaders. With exception to TSU, visiting fan support is pretty much is non-existent. Plus, our fans don't come out in numbers to see Non-HBCU's. They just don't get excited for Jax State. Samford/EKU as they do for Ala A&M, FAMU or Jackson State. It is what it is and I don't think that will change anytime soon. With that being said, we need our own on-campus stadium. The coliseum is just too big. We still are in the top 10/15 in I-AA average attendance.

OVC basketball and other Olympic/non-revenue sports are top notch. The basketball RPI is higher than the two major HBCU conferences and travel costs are feasible. In my opinion this is the reason that we remain in the OVC.

SU Jag
November 30th, 2005, 09:05 PM
Thats the thing about most HBCUs, if you're not playing another HBCU or an in-state school then the students will more than likley not attend. I don't know why this is, but it has always been like that.

Golden Eagle
December 1st, 2005, 08:19 AM
They should move back on campus, I went to a game at the Coliseum once and it seemed like there was about 2,000 people there.

FL connection
December 1st, 2005, 10:25 AM
We've been fortunate enough in 2003, 2005 to play them for their homecoming game........28,000 in 2003; 15,000 in 2005. Don't bash the conference, bash the schools that don't attend. connection out!

jstate83
December 1st, 2005, 03:59 PM
And what other options does TSU have? OVC gives them 4 schools within two hours. No other conference will do that. And football-wise, OVC is probably better than the SWAC, and much better basketball-wise.

Then why complain when OVC crowds don't show for their home games.

The OVC is that much better, then OVC fans should support ALL member schools.

Like I said ...................it's the conference THEY picked so why complain........that all I'm saying. :)

No need to go on a SWAC/MEAC is crap kick. :)
We know how ya'll feel...............don't care ............but we know. ;)

jstate83
December 1st, 2005, 04:02 PM
They should move back on campus, I went to a game at the Coliseum once and it seemed like there was about 2,000 people there.

Games on their campus would be great if they renovate...........and I mean REALLY RENOVATE that stadium. We only played there once during my years at JSU. IT WAS TRAGIC................JUST KIDDING.......... :bang: BAD '83.

The other years we played them in Memphis and at Vandy Stadium.

TigerFan17
December 1st, 2005, 04:02 PM
:: patiently waits for racism comment ::

jstate83
December 1st, 2005, 04:03 PM

The only person thinking about RACISM in this thread is YOU.
You the only one that bought it up. :rolleyes:

TigerFan17
December 1st, 2005, 04:05 PM
I guess you haven't been around to see how every thread concerning an HBCU schools ends up with someone calling someone else a racist and then the thread de-rails.

But, you've gone and done it...my waiting is over.

jstate83
December 1st, 2005, 04:12 PM
I guess you haven't been around to see how every thread concerning an HBCU schools ends up with someone calling someone else a racist and then the thread de-rails.

But, you've gone and done it...my waiting is over.

AHHHH...............could you explain how pointing out that YOU are the ONLY one on this entire thread that BOUGHT UP RACISM is my fault?!?......................priceless/typical/but I ain't swallowing your BAIT.............ain't worth my time. :asswhip:

But to answer your question........................
I'm around all the time...................I just sit back and laugh everytime a HBCU thread comes up because I know what's going to happen here.

I make my comments to the posters I need to and move back the the SWAC and MEAC pages. xprost2x

jstate83
December 1st, 2005, 04:14 PM

In case YOU, TIGERFAN17, forgot YOUR comment. xlolx

TigerFan17
December 1st, 2005, 05:07 PM
My god man, my post was meant for humor purposes only.

Hold your horses.