PDA

View Full Version : Montana safety finds a home

jmufan999
April 27th, 2009, 01:12 PM
FS Colt Anderson was signed as a FA by my team, the Minnesota Vikings. his only chance to make the team will be on special teams, as we are 4 deep at LB (not counting the best special teams tackler in the league in LB Heath Farwell) in a 4-3 scheme.

he's got his work cut out for him at that size, but he's an excellent tackler, is extremely intense, and has all the intangibles you look for. i know you Montana fans love him. i hope he makes the team. if he doesn't make it, it's not for lack of effort, i'm sure of that.

jmufan999
April 27th, 2009, 01:20 PM
oh jesus, someone else started a thread.

do me a favor and spare me the "we already have a thread for this", i don't care. that's so f'ing annoying when people do that.

GOKATS
April 27th, 2009, 01:37 PM
oh jesus, someone else started a thread.

do me a favor and spare me the "we already have a thread for this", i don't care. that's so f'ing annoying when people do that.

Actually it's the third thread on FCS free agents, but whatever yanks your chain......................

CatFan22
April 27th, 2009, 01:42 PM
There's already a thread for this. :)

CrunchGriz
April 27th, 2009, 01:43 PM
FS Colt Anderson was signed as a FA by my team, the Minnesota Vikings. his only chance to make the team will be on special teams, as we are 4 deep at LB (not counting the best special teams tackler in the league in LB Heath Farwell) in a 4-3 scheme.

he's got his work cut out for him at that size, but he's an excellent tackler, is extremely intense, and has all the intangibles you look for. i know you Montana fans love him. i hope he makes the team. if he doesn't make it, it's not for lack of effort, i'm sure of that.

You seem to be saying that Colt will have a tough time making it as a linebacker.

I agree--because he's a free safety.

As you probably remember after watching him make 18 tackles against your Dukes. xsmiley_wix

But you're right, he probably will have to make his name on special teams. And I'll be amazed if he doesn't. When he played special teams coverage for the Griz early in his career it seemed like he was in on every tackle, usually drilling returners and making them call out for their mamas.

mcveyrl
April 27th, 2009, 03:41 PM
FWIW, almost all Rookie FAs have to make their mark on special teams...

gbhmt
April 27th, 2009, 10:34 PM
FWIW, almost all Rookie FAs have to make their mark on special teams...

He's always shined there so it'd be a good fit.

rancher griz
April 28th, 2009, 02:02 AM
Bias aside, I think Colt has an excellent chance at making the roster. Beyond his great instincts and tackling ability, he is a very intelligent football player and is very coachable. Rookies have a steep learning curve in the NFL, Colt should be able to pick up things more quickly. The only thing holding him back is his stature. He's on par in strenth and speed, but he is very undersized for an NFL safety. Hopefully he'll do his best Bob Sanders impression.

Green26
April 29th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Anderson received one of the highest free agent bonuses this year. See below quote a Vikings Sports-Board site:

"This year, it looks like safety Colt Anderson of Wyoming [oops, Montana] might garner that prize. He got $20,000 to sign with Minnesota after the draft, according to Scout.com’s Ed Thompson, who said of the approximately 30 UDFA contracts he has uncovered across the NFL, Anderson is one of only two players to receive that kind of a bonus."

Green26
April 30th, 2009, 12:09 AM
Montana's JD Quinn flew to Miami today. But for his off field issues, he was on some boards as a 5th round pick. He's got the talent to play. He's a good guy. Hopefully, he can keep on the straight and narrow.

mtgrizfan4life
April 30th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Montana's JD Quinn flew to Miami today. But for his off field issues, he was on some boards as a 5th round pick. He's got the talent to play. He's a good guy. Hopefully, he can keep on the straight and narrow.

For once you and I agree. I hope JD can prove to the NFL his past is behind him and give fans the pleasure of watching one of meanest SOBS ever on the field. I know I will miss his toughness and nastiness. He has the perfect OL mentality. xthumbsupx

Plus every GRIZ that makes it big helps toward contributors that may one day want us to move up. (just a jab for the move.) xsmiley_wix

Green26
May 1st, 2009, 11:37 PM
Montana qb Cole Bergquist is in now in San Diego for a tryout with the Chargers. Bergquist had a tryout earlier a few days ago with the BC Lions.

Green26
May 5th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Heard JD Quinn signed with the Dolphins. Three former Griz on the Dolphins roster now.

catatac
May 6th, 2009, 12:41 PM

I don't know if I'd go as far as calling him a "Good Guy" just yet... time will tell if he has truly put his past behind him. He is a good football player though.

griz8791
May 6th, 2009, 01:24 PM
I don't know if I'd go as far as calling him a "Good Guy" just yet... time will tell if he has truly put his past behind him. He is a good football player though.

By sheer random chance I wound up seated next to JD on a flight out of Dallas last summer. I found him to be NOTHING like he is portrayed on eGriz and other message boards. I don't know if you'd like him if you met him in person -- that'd be asking a lot from a Cat fan -- but I guarantee you would come away from it having to revise a lot of your impressions about him.

mcveyrl
May 6th, 2009, 02:48 PM
By sheer random chance I wound up seated next to JD on a flight out of Dallas last summer. I found him to be NOTHING like he is portrayed on eGriz and other message boards. I don't know if you'd like him if you met him in person -- that'd be asking a lot from a Cat fan -- but I guarantee you would come away from it having to revise a lot of your impressions about him.

Yea, but you wouldn't like him when he's angry....or drunk. :D

Just kidding.

I've long held on to the belief that your true perception of somebody should not be what you see or hear on the internet, in magazines or the news (good or bad). If we were monitored closely for three entire years and then the three worst (or best) things we did were highly publicized, people could get the wrong impression. We only see a small slice of these peoples lives and shouldn't judge based on that. *steps off soap box*

Green26
May 6th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Good point, Mcv. Quinn is a good guy. My family knows him, and all of us enjoy him. He's liked by his fellow players. I think the coaches like him too. He's gotten a bad rap at times, most of which wasn't deserved, altho much of it was self-inflicted.

catatac
May 6th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Good point, Mcv. Quinn is a good guy. My family knows him, and all of us enjoy him. He's liked by his fellow players. I think the coaches like him too. He's gotten a bad rap at times, most of which wasn't deserved, altho much of it was self-inflicted.

You hit the nail on the head there... and I absolutely might like the heck out of the guy if I met him... lord knows I'm not perfect and have made mistakes. I just think that people need to be held accountable for their actions and shouldn't just get a free pass because they happen to be a "good guy". My impressions of him stem from multiple DOCUMENTED run ins with the law, the Oklahoma deal, some of the stuff that was on his website, and of course the interview with the Oklahoma reporter. Combine all these things and it makes him look like a complete tool. I don't know about the truth to the other rumors about him on websites, etc... so who knows about them. As I stated earlier though, hopefully he's matured and cleaned up his act and gets a shot.

mtgrizfan4life
May 6th, 2009, 05:56 PM
I wish all GRIZ the best. As for JD, I will miss watching him lead our OL, kick D Line ASS, and most importantly, be the protector for anyone messing with Chase or Cole. He was always amongst the 1st to celebrate every touchdown we scored. He was always the 1st to step in when anyone messed with any of our skilled position players, and he did not care if it cost us a flag.

A few of those times, as a fan, it pissed me off getting flags like that. Then again, when I watched games again at grizcentral.com, it got me to think how thankful I would be to have a teammate like that. My impession of JD is that he would take a bullet and run through walls for his teammates and coaches. From the coaching perspective, I would have been frustrated with him sometimes, but never would have traded him for any other O Lineman. His spirt and attitude were contagious to me as a fan, and I am sure even more contagious for his team.

He is a guy you love having on your side and hate having as an enemy or opponent. Thanks for the time here JD, GRIZNATION is behind you 100%. By the way, when his playing days are done, I would love to face him in Texas Hold em.

Green26
May 6th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Quinn has not had multiple run-ins with the law. I am aware of zero run-ins, other than DUI stops. In his lawyer's press release issued when he pled to a DUI per se, it said that that was Quinn's only DUI plea/conviction ever. Why do some people have to make up stuff?

Smendy
May 6th, 2009, 06:37 PM
One site is reporting Colt got a $20,000 signing bonus from the Vikings. Very few undrafted free agents get that amount of cash up front. Average is usually about $7,000 and about 40% get $1,000 or less.

4/28 blog notes: http://draftdaddy.com/blog/nfldraft.htm