PDA

View Full Version : Take a player from your conference...

jmufan999
April 27th, 2009, 10:15 AM
the question is, if you could have any player IN YOUR CONFERENCE and put him on your team, who would it be? i made it in-conference only, since getting the same nationally recognizable players would make for a boring thread. plus, you never see most of those players so you'd be guessing, based on press clippings. i want players you've seen with your own eyes, preferrably.

obviously, we're talking about rising seniors and younger, no graduating players.

my pick? Justin Rogers, CB from Richmond, rising Junior. he plays big in big games. he's got electrifying return skills. he's tough. his ball skills are outstanding, as he had 7 picks last year and returned 2 for TD's. led Richmond to an NCAA-best 29 picks in 2008 and a national title.

my feeling is that he's got pro talent, will need to put on at least 10 pounds in the next 2 years (you can be small but you'd better make up for it by being a physical presence). 10 lbs in 2 years should not be difficult as he matures. but the Spiders have a lock down corner, and that's our biggest position of need. which reminds me: I'd put Jonathan Grimes (RB - William and Mary) on the honorable mention list, but am not since we're really deep at RB already. same thing with Aaron Ball from Nova.

honorable mention:
-Matt Sczcur, WR - Villanova
-Victor Cruz, WR - UMass (we've got some pretty good WR's, but i really like these two guys a lot as well)

Hoyadestroya85
April 27th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Adrian Tracy.. can't put a price on QB pressure

crusader11
April 27th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Pat Simonds, a WR from Colgate. It would be scary to think what a Randolph to Simonds connection could do to teams.

DLS
April 27th, 2009, 10:37 AM
who has a big nasty OT in the socon? whoever he is i'll take him.

achrist70
April 27th, 2009, 10:43 AM
James Ruffin, do I really need to explain why?

catatac
April 27th, 2009, 10:54 AM
Weber State QB Cameron Higgins.

MaximumBobcat
April 27th, 2009, 10:57 AM
I don't know who it is, but I'd pick the best DT in the SLC.

Tribe4SF
April 27th, 2009, 11:09 AM
I would also take Justin Rogers from Richmond. My next choice would be any of the good offensive lineman from Villanova or Richmond.

89Hen
April 27th, 2009, 11:29 AM
honorable mention:
Crap, is he still eligible? I was hoping he graduated. xoopsx

jstclmet
April 27th, 2009, 11:37 AM
David Caldwell, S, Sr. from W&M only led the team in tackling the past two years. Team Captain this year (I think).

andy7171
April 27th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Eric Ward

wideright82
April 27th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Crap, is he still eligible? I was hoping he graduated. xoopsx

Junior, 89. If he doen't go to the league for baseball you've got 2 more seasons with him. xlolx

89Hen
April 27th, 2009, 11:49 AM
the question is, if you could have any player IN YOUR CONFERENCE and put him on your team, who would it be?
Samuel Denton, Long Snapper - Hofstra

xsmiley_wix

appfan2008
April 27th, 2009, 12:14 PM

i would love to take a couple of them but the oline is definately where we will need the most help

Monarch History
April 27th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Adrian Tracey from W&M

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 27th, 2009, 01:00 PM
James Ruffin, do I really need to explain why?

Isn't he already a Panther? Isn't the idea to name a player from another team in your conference to add to your team? xconfusedx

slostang
April 27th, 2009, 01:04 PM
University of South Dakota's QB Noah Shepard.

He is 6'2" 215 with a strong arm and great feet. In 2008 he rushed for 645 yards (6.6 yd/carry) and 13 TDs and passed for 2,000 yards with 15 TDs and only 5 INTs. He would be a great fit in Cal Poly's triple option offense.

Against Cal Poly in 2008 he rushed for 92 yards and 3 TDs and passed for 211 yards.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 27th, 2009, 01:11 PM
I might answer this differently after our Spring Game, but for now because we'll have a young OL that's where my choice goes. Looking at the all CAA roster from last season, I'm going to pick:

71 Ijalana, Benjamin OL SO 6-4/325 Hainesport, N.J./Rancocas Valley

Mainly because he has two years of eligibility left and partly because he went to the same HS as the kids of two of my buddies.

DLS
April 27th, 2009, 01:28 PM
i would love to take a couple of them but the oline is definately where we will need the most help

i was gonna say we could use a return guy but i think we recruited a few of them this year sooo . . .

jmufan999
April 27th, 2009, 01:30 PM
I might answer this differently after our Spring Game, but for now because we'll have a young OL that's where my choice goes. Looking at the all CAA roster from last season, I'm going to pick:

Mainly because he has two years of eligibility left and partly because he went to the same HS as the kids of two of my buddies.

an o-linemen, i LOVE it! nice. the guy sounds absolutely huge.

wow, so someone else feels the same way about Sczcur as i do? he was good in our first game against Nova, and almost single-handedly beat us in the playoffs.

andy7171
April 27th, 2009, 02:03 PM

I approve of his number! xthumbsupx

UCABEARS75
April 27th, 2009, 04:42 PM
I don't know who it is, but I'd pick the best DT in the SLC.

His name is Taylor Scott.

technocat
April 27th, 2009, 05:22 PM
For me it's hands down Marc Mariani. Most dominant wide receiver in the conf right now and we definitely need help there.

honorable mention:
Cameron Higgins QB slightly over Matt Nicols because he has more eligibility left.

lionsrking2
April 27th, 2009, 05:26 PM
His name is Taylor Scott.

Jack Hayes...had to sit out this past season because Kansas State wouldn't release him, but he's an athletic beast with a chance to be a difference maker for the Lions.

GATA
April 27th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Brian Quick from App State.

JohnStOnge
April 27th, 2009, 07:52 PM
my pick? Justin Rogers, CB from Richmond, rising Junior. he plays big in big games. he's got electrifying return skills. he's tough. his ball skills are outstanding, as he had 7 picks last year and returned 2 for TD's. led Richmond to an NCAA-best 29 picks in 2008 and a national title.

AND he's from my neck of the woods: Redemptorist High School, Baton Rouge, LA.

I remember watching the FCS championship game and being aggravated that a guy from Baton Rouge was over playing at Richmond.

JohnStOnge
April 27th, 2009, 07:56 PM
I honestly can't think of anybody in the Southland who didn't graduate this year that sticks out as somebody that I'd like McNeese to have. I mean, I have no doubt that there are players on other teams in the league who I'd want if I had a chance to really look closely, research, ect. But just off the top of my head I can't think of anybody.

BigHouseClosedEnd
April 27th, 2009, 08:00 PM
the question is, if you could have any player IN YOUR CONFERENCE and put him on your team, who would it be? i made it in-conference only, since getting the same nationally recognizable players would make for a boring thread. plus, you never see most of those players so you'd be guessing, based on press clippings. i want players you've seen with your own eyes, preferrably.

obviously, we're talking about rising seniors and younger, no graduating players.

my feeling is that he's got pro talent, will need to put on at least 10 pounds in the next 2 years (you can be small but you'd better make up for it by being a physical presence). 10 lbs in 2 years should not be difficult as he matures. but the Spiders have a lock down corner, and that's our biggest position of need. which reminds me: I'd put Jonathan Grimes (RB - William and Mary) on the honorable mention list, but am not since we're really deep at RB already. same thing with Aaron Ball from Nova.

honorable mention:
-Victor Cruz, WR - UMass (we've got some pretty good WR's, but i really like these two guys a lot as well)

Those are some really nice compliments about Rogers. A lot of us really felt he got jobbed in some of the postseason recognition last year.

I would vote Sczcur or Osunde from Villanova. The only reason I wont say Whitney is because we have a pretty good QB already! xthumbsupx

BEAR
April 27th, 2009, 08:33 PM
I honestly can't think of anybody in the Southland who didn't graduate this year that sticks out as somebody that I'd like McNeese to have. I mean, I have no doubt that there are players on other teams in the league who I'd want if I had a chance to really look closely, research, ect. But just off the top of my head I can't think of anybody.

How about Larry Hart(SLC Defensive player of the year) or Lane Friewald (6'7" 320 lb O lineman who is a senior this year)? Just kidding! xlolx

I'd take SFA's QB. Kid can throw it with zip in the short game xbowx and coach likes that short pass game. xthumbsupx

McNeese75
April 27th, 2009, 08:37 PM
How about Larry Hart(SLC Defensive player of the year) or Lane Friewald (6'7" 320 lb O lineman who is a senior this year)? Just kidding! xlolx

I'd take SFA's QB. Kid can throw it with zip in the short game xbowx and coach likes that short pass game. xthumbsupx

Hart is exactly who I was thinking about but your 75 gave another name so xconfusedx

CID1990
April 27th, 2009, 08:40 PM
ANY placekicker in the SoCon.

Don't care who.

hippy@GSU
April 27th, 2009, 09:41 PM

Don't care who.

The 2008 GSU-El Cid game was hilarious. You guys missed so many kicks that I really began to feel sorry... no, nevermind... i didnt.

For GSU and its huge passing offense(still sounds weird)... I would take Terrell Hudgins.

PhoenixMan
April 27th, 2009, 09:50 PM
The 2008 GSU-El Cid game was hilarious. You guys missed so many kicks that I really began to feel sorry... no, nevermind... i didnt.

For GSU and its huge passing offense(still sounds weird)... I would take Terrell Hudgins.

I'm a little biased here, but Hudgins is a man to be reckoned with. Went to the spring game Saturday and he was head and shoulders above anyone else on the field..and that was with Riddle QBing the other squad. As for the player from another SOCON team....I would take the meanest and fasted rush end I can get. I'm sure App has one or two to spare.

rancher griz
April 28th, 2009, 02:05 AM
I like Montana States DEs: Dane Fletcher and Brad Smith. I'd happily take either of them. The Smith kid is going to be special.

GATA
April 28th, 2009, 09:10 PM

Don't care who.

My God...I remember that game against GSU too. Your guys were playing their asses off only for the damn kicker to put on the worst performance in kicking history...I can see where you're coming from.

Reign of Terrier
April 28th, 2009, 09:14 PM

would you take a guard? PAT Illig from Wofford is the big nasty of the conference now.

I'd like that DB from App, I think his name is McDuffie?

unialum95
April 29th, 2009, 10:59 AM

He is 6'2" 215 with a strong arm and great feet. In 2008 he rushed for 645 yards (6.6 yd/carry) and 13 TDs and passed for 2,000 yards with 15 TDs and only 5 INTs. He would be a great fit in Cal Poly's triple option offense.

Against Cal Poly in 2008 he rushed for 92 yards and 3 TDs and passed for 211 yards.

Shepard was very impressive last year against UNI and single handedly kept them in the game. I look forward to seeing him again in September.

Ivytalk
April 29th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Either Princeton RB Culbreath or Penn PK Samson.

ur2k
April 29th, 2009, 03:01 PM
I'd take Scoty MdGee and put him and Justin Rogers back to return kicks and hope and pray that teams would kick to one of them.

Sczcur is a good choice too - that dude can do damage so many different ways - he's fun to watch.

paward
April 29th, 2009, 07:47 PM
I would take Grimes the RB from W&M. That kid can flat out run the ball.

GeauxLions94
April 29th, 2009, 08:27 PM

He's not in our conference, but I'll second your motion. He gave us fits last year in Hammond and we get to see him again this year in Vermillion. xoopsx

GeauxLions94
April 29th, 2009, 08:28 PM

Psst .... Tommy Connors

http://www.lionsports.net/images/2008/9/5/rp_primary_w083008_254.jpg

GeauxLions94
April 29th, 2009, 08:29 PM

xoopsx Wished he was gone.

GeauxLions94
April 29th, 2009, 08:36 PM
I would also take Justin Rogers from Richmond. My next choice would be any of the good offensive lineman from Villanova or Richmond.

AND he's from my neck of the woods: Redemptorist High School, Baton Rouge, LA.

I remember watching the FCS championship game and being aggravated that a guy from Baton Rouge was over playing at Richmond.

Saw him in a playoff game at Redemptorist his senior year and he single-handedly brought RHS back. Was hurt and didn't play entire first half. Came in early in the second half and found themselves down 20-0 at West Feliciana with about 4 minutes left in the game before he pretty much took over.

Threw 30+ yard TD pass on game's final play as he scrambled around and threw a laser between two WFHS defenders at the goal line and caught for a TD.

DTSpider
April 29th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Have to agree with Grimes from W&M.

JohnStOnge
April 29th, 2009, 08:58 PM
How about Larry Hart(SLC Defensive player of the year)

The Southland defenses didn't exactly wow me last year. I really didn't see a whole lot of what I thought was great defensive play. I'll admit that I didn't see the UCA/McNeese game. But I had no reason to believe, in listening to the radio, that UCA won because of solid defense. McNeese had 458 yards of offense. I think the biggest difference was special teams.

UCABEARS75
April 30th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Hart is exactly who I was thinking about but your 75 gave another name so xconfusedx

I said Taylor's name because the other guy specifically said D-Tackle.

If it were me, I would have a hard time passing up Larry Hart although Taylor is a beast who can play inside or outside (ALL SLC as D-End as a Soph.; 2nd Team All SLC as a D-Tackle as a Junior).

Maroon&White
April 30th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Since UMass will most likely be very very weak at CB after losing Smalls and Robinson, would have to go with Rogers.

Only have 5 corners to begin with, two just were moved there from WR another corner is a RFr, and another was a transfer last year who never played. Only have one corner returning with experience. Rogers, or any good corner, could definitely help :)

BEAR
April 30th, 2009, 11:28 AM
The Southland defenses didn't exactly wow me last year. I really didn't see a whole lot of what I thought was great defensive play. I'll admit that I didn't see the UCA/McNeese game. But I had no reason to believe, in listening to the radio, that UCA won because of solid defense. McNeese had 458 yards of offense. I think the biggest difference was special teams.

Nice statement. But did the title of the thread throw you off a little? xlolxIt's about which PLAYER..not team or team defense ability. Hart was mentioned not because he had a team of awesome defense behind him, but because the title of the thread was...Take a PLAYER. xlolxxrulesxxsmiley_wix

Syntax Error
April 30th, 2009, 11:39 AM
I don't have a conference so I'll just go with the probable best player and probable first two time Payton Award winner... Edwards at App St

Hail-Hail
April 30th, 2009, 05:44 PM
I'll take Leroy Vann, KR, from FAMU FTW!!!

JohnStOnge
April 30th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Nice statement. But did the title of the thread throw you off a little? xlolxIt's about which PLAYER..not team or team defense ability. Hart was mentioned not because he had a team of awesome defense behind him, but because the title of the thread was...Take a PLAYER. xlolxxrulesxxsmiley_wix

I know. But I don't recall seeing any other player in the league last year who's going to be back this year that looked to me to be dominant in a way that would make me notice him as someone I'd want on the team I'm pulling for. Like I said, I'm sure if I really looked for it and had films to watch and all I'd find some. But I think that the fact that none of the teams had great defenses kind of contributed to that lack of impression. A great defensive player may be on the field but if the offense is ripping the defense up overall maybe you don't notice him as a fan just watching the game.

Maybe the UCA D tackle would've jumped out to me if I'd seen him but I didn't. I didn't see UCA play this year. I guess it wasn't correct for me to say I didn't see ANY defensive player I would like for McNeese to have had because of that Nicholls State defensive back that got drafted; but he's not going to be back.

BEAR
April 30th, 2009, 06:47 PM
I know. But I don't recall seeing any other player in the league last year who's going to be back this year that looked to me to be dominant in a way that would make me notice him as someone I'd want on the team I'm pulling for. Like I said, I'm sure if I really looked for it and had films to watch and all I'd find some. But I think that the fact that none of the teams had great defenses kind of contributed to that lack of impression. A great defensive player may be on the field but if the offense is ripping the defense up overall maybe you don't notice him as a fan just watching the game.

Maybe the UCA D tackle would've jumped out to me if I'd seen him but I didn't. I didn't see UCA play this year. I guess it wasn't correct for me to say I didn't see ANY defensive player I would like for McNeese to have had because of that Nicholls State defensive back that got drafted; but he's not going to be back.

Just pulling your chain. I think UCA's defense is really good, but defending against the spreads in the SLC can make any defense look bad. Most people only notice defense against the run. The pass game usually gets it's yards 200 plus a game anyway. But giving up those yards and stopping a team from scoring is another thing. Bend don't break maybe. But I also have a ton of respect for the other teams in the conference and individuals as well. I am thrilled to be in this conference and hope, if we are able, to represent the conference in the title hunt next year. xthumbsupx

Cobblestone
May 1st, 2009, 08:12 AM
Jared Turcotte, FB, Soph. from Maine.

FCS_pwns_FBS
May 1st, 2009, 08:48 AM
Terrell Hudgins

ncbears
May 1st, 2009, 09:08 AM
Probably Cameron Higgins from WSU

Fordham
May 1st, 2009, 09:35 AM
Great thread.

I'd take Nate Eachus from 'Gate and have him play both sides of the ball.

jmufan999
May 1st, 2009, 11:46 AM
Terrell Hudgins

GOOD CALL! if he played QB or RB, he'd be a WP Award contender. since its inception in 1987, the Walter Payton award has gone to a QB or RB every single freaking year except one... 1997, when it went to Villanova WR Brian Finneran, who went on to an injury-plagued career with the Falcons.

BossEagle
May 2nd, 2009, 07:34 AM
Chris Evans, quietly lead the conference in rushing yards...

colorless raider
May 2nd, 2009, 06:04 PM
Great thread.

I'd take Nate Eachus from 'Gate and have him play both sides of the ball.

AGREED

MDFAN
May 3rd, 2009, 08:38 AM
I'll take QB CJ Hopson. He had to pretty good games to close out last year. I suspect this year he will shine.

Tribe4SF
May 3rd, 2009, 11:52 AM
I'll take QB CJ Hopson. He had to pretty good games to close out last year. I suspect this year he will shine.

The thread is a player from ANOTHER team in your conference.

MDFAN
May 4th, 2009, 08:11 AM
My bad in that case I'll tale Colgates Eachus

Hoyadestroya85
May 5th, 2009, 01:36 PM
GOOD CALL! if he played QB or RB, he'd be a WP Award contender. since its inception in 1987, the Walter Payton award has gone to a QB or RB every single freaking year except one... 1997, when it went to Villanova WR Brian Finneran, who went on to an injury-plagued career with the Falcons.

I think Finn has been hurt twice in his career.. he's actually been a decent pro.