PDA

View Full Version : Will Weber State Beat FBS Wyomoing?

Native
April 27th, 2009, 12:44 AM
Weber State University scheduled two FBS opponents to kick off the 2009 season, Wyoming on 05 September and Colorado State on 12 September.

What are the chances that the Wildcats take the "W" in Laramie?

Weber State returns nearly all of its offense. Wyoming returns nearly all of its defense.

The Cowboys have struggled of late, winning only 4 games last year against a weak schedule for an FBS team.

Based on the final Sagarin ratings, the Wildcats would be favored.

Green Laser
April 27th, 2009, 01:07 AM
Weber State has a very solid team, good luck Wildcats beat those Cowboys!!!!!!

Native
April 27th, 2009, 01:31 AM
Wyoming and Weber did play against a common opponent last year, so it would probably be worthwhile to compare performances.

On 27 September, Weber played at Utah. The Utes defeated the Wildcats by 16 points, 37-21.

The issue was not really in doubt, but the Wildcats established a tie in the 1st quarter and held it for awhile through the 2nd quarter. Weber State stayed within less than three touchdowns until final two minutes of the third quarter, and for all but 6 minutes of the game. By the end of the third quarter, Weber had gained 240 yards and penetrated the red zone twice against Utah's first team offense, before Utah's first team defense retired in the fourth quarter.

On 11 October, Wyoming hosted Utah in Laramie. The Utes defeated the Cowboys by 33 points, 40-7.

The Cowboys fell behind by 27 points in the second quarter, and fell behind by 34 points early in the third quarter. The Cowboys penetrated the Utah red zone for the first time in the middle of the fourth quarter. I couldn't tell you when Utah put in the second team defense against the Cowboys, but I don't think they waited until the fourth quarter.

The Cowboy offense accumulated 184 yds rushing and 68 yds passing, for 252 yards of offense. Wyoming out-gained the Utes by 10 yards, but the Utah yardage does not include the yards required to score three defensive touchdowns. Most of the Cowboy yardage was gained in the final moments of the 4th quarter when the outcome was a foregone conclusion.

The Wildcats rushed for 56 yds and passed for 303 yds, totaling 359 yards of offense against the Utes.

The Cowboys turned gave up two turnovers and allowed three defensive touchdowns, one each on an interception, a fumble recovery and a punt return.
The Wildcats gave up two fumbles but allowed no defensive touchdowns.

The Wildcats were 6 of 13 on 3d- and 4th-down conversions and scored on 2 of 3 red zone opportunities.

The Cowboys were 2 of 15 on 3d- and 4th-down conversions and scored on 1 of 2 red zone opportunities.

Cameron Higgins completed 24 of 38 passes for the Wildcats, for three TDs and zero interceptions and 303 yards. He was sacked twice.

Karsten Sween completed 8 of 18 passes for the Cowboys, with 3 interceptions and no touchdowns for 56 yards. He was sacked once.

Wyoming's top two rushers accounted for 163 of 184 net yards gained. Neither player returns for 2009.

Wyoming will be a tough game, but the Wildcats have a chance.

JMU Newbill
April 27th, 2009, 05:55 AM
Weber will start their year in the hole, at 0-2. Sorry guys.... I'm not saying you don't have any chance at all.... but more than likely you will lose both of those games.

Bill Hanson
April 27th, 2009, 08:32 AM
NEVER

appfan2008
April 27th, 2009, 09:06 AM
good luck but i dont think it will happen

Thunderstruck84
April 27th, 2009, 09:12 AM
I went to Laramie last year and saw Wyoming play when NDSU was there. They had a very good defensive team. If all of their defense is back, I would venture that they'll be the toughest defensive team Weber will see all year. Their offense was putrid however, they got it going on the ground a little against NDSU in the second half but their playcalling was Brad-Childress-like (a.k.a. unimaginitive) and their passing game was virtually non-existant so if they lost a lot of players on that side of them ball it might actually be a bad thing for Weber.

I'm not sure as to the outcome though as I don't know what either team will look like this year. Last year's Weber St could've beaten Wyoming so if both teams are similar this year I'd say the same thing.

Gil Dobie
April 27th, 2009, 09:22 AM
I agree with Thunderstruck, if the teams are similar to last year, Weber wins. xthumbsupx

jmufan999
April 27th, 2009, 09:41 AM
as i always say, the winning percentage for FBS teams vs. FCS teams is something like 95% in the past several years.

so the odds are heavily, heavily against you. maybe it will happen, but numbers don't lie. UNH is very much the exception, not the rule.

and no, i don't think JMU will beat MD in case you want to go there.

MaximumBobcat
April 27th, 2009, 09:50 AM
Wyoming fired their old coach and got Christensen (OC) from Missouri. The Cowboys will be a much improved team on the offensive side of the ball. Weber will have to get lucky to win.

Ronbo
April 27th, 2009, 09:59 AM
We have several Wyoming fans that post on eGriz. I remember one of them posting that Wyoming has never lost to a I-AA/FCS team. So it would be a first.

stevdock
April 27th, 2009, 10:18 AM
Yes it would be a first. We should have gotten them last year but they got us in the end. Players wise I think Weber can hold it's own. But the huge question mark will be what the new coach and staff will be like with Wyoming. Alot of times to beat an FBS team it's gotta be right place at the right time. If Weber plays them last year, they probably win going away. This year WHO KNOWS. But good luck we'll be cheering for ya.

Native
April 27th, 2009, 10:23 AM
as i always say, the winning percentage for FBS teams vs. FCS teams is something like 95% in the past several years.

so the odds are heavily, heavily against you. maybe it will happen, but numbers don't lie. UNH is very much the exception, not the rule.

Of course! But are the 5% of FCS victories always flukes, or are we smart enough to figure out which contests offer the FCS a fighting chance?

Native
April 27th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Yes it would be a first. We should have gotten them last year but they got us in the end. Players wise I think Weber can hold it's own. But the huge question mark will be what the new coach and staff will be like with Wyoming. Alot of times to beat an FBS team it's gotta be right place at the right time. If Weber plays them last year, they probably win going away. This year WHO KNOWS. But good luck we'll be cheering for ya.

The new Wyoming head coach is apparently installing some kind of hurry up /spread/triple option offense with mostly the same offensive players the Cowboys had last year.

http://www.laramieboomerang.com/articles/2009/04/21/sports/doc49ee8e70e3e94104072984.txt

So I am thinking it could just be the right place at the right time for Weber.

achrist70
April 27th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Wyoming has Jerry Montgomery to coach their D-line, I guarantee that area of their team will be better.

Native
April 27th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Wyoming has Jerry Montgomery to coach their D-line, I guarantee that area of their team will be better.

Ouch! The Wyoming line was already great, and I think they probably bring back all their D-Line starters! xeekx

Native
April 27th, 2009, 05:43 PM

Asked about an FCS program playing an FBS program, former Cal Poly (now Army) head coach Rich Ellerson answered,

"We know the quality of football that's being played at our level. The best teams at our level can step onto most football fields and represent themselves well...It's going to be something bigger, faster, stronger than maybe what we faced in any given game, but our guys are anxious to take it on....I don't know that we lack for confidence, but at the same time we know it's uphill."

I agree with Coach Ellerson.

reference: http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/vi ... p?t=488858

DX Man
April 27th, 2009, 05:50 PM
I don't see it happening, but would be thrilled to be proven wrong!