PDA

View Full Version : Georgia southern Head Coaching Candidates

bb king
November 29th, 2005, 06:18 PM
In talking with some friends of mine in the Statesboro area these are some of the names that have been mentioned.

Jay Thomas Head Coach Nichols state

C. Ray Gregory former head coach Southern Utah and GSU asst under both
Erk Russell and Paul Johnson

Jack Crowe Head Coach Jacksonville State

Tommy Spangler Head Coach Presbyterian

Jeff Monken asst Navy former GSU asst

Chris Hatcher Valdosta State

Hugh Null Auburn

Pat Sullivan UAB

Baldy
November 29th, 2005, 07:11 PM
In talking with some friends of mine in the Statesboro area these are some of the names that have been mentioned.

Hugh Null Auburn

Pat Sullivan UAB

Thomas - Scratch
Ray Gregory - Scratch as a HC, he would be a great assistant.
Jack Crowe - Scratch
Spangler - ex-GSU DC, but scratch
Jeff Monken - great choice IMO
Hatcher - Scratch
Hugh Nall - interesting choice, Nall was one of the one of the four who went on that infamous trip to visit the coaches of the Houston Gamblers when our unique offense was concieved. His hire could be a home run or a complete flop. :eyebrow:
Pat Sullivan - Scratch

Outside shot - Giff Smith former all-american for GSU former recruiting coordinator and Assoc. Head Coach at Tulane (during their 11-0 season), current D-line coach at GA Tech.

txstatebobcat
November 29th, 2005, 07:16 PM
Jay Thomas would be a good choice. I don't think there is a coach in all of division I that has done more with less than Thomas. Seriously, I'm pretty sure that GSU's football budget is bigger than Nicholls entire AD budget.

beerkat
November 29th, 2005, 07:36 PM
Sam Houston State will give you Todd Whitten for free

JSU Fan
November 29th, 2005, 07:47 PM
Jacksonville State might consider paying Crowe's moving expenses if you'd hire him.

Out.

pete4256
November 29th, 2005, 07:48 PM
Thomas - Scratch
Ray Gregory - Scratch as a HC, he would be a great assistant.
Jack Crowe - Scratch
Spangler - ex-GSU DC, but scratch
Jeff Monken - great choice IMO
Hatcher - Scratch
Hugh Nall - interesting choice, Nall was one of the one of the four who went on that infamous trip to visit the coaches of the Houston Gamblers when our unique offense was concieved. His hire could be a home run or a complete flop. :eyebrow:
Pat Sullivan - Scratch

Outside shot - Giff Smith former all-american for GSU former recruiting coordinator and Assoc. Head Coach at Tulane (during their 11-0 season), current D-line coach at GA Tech.

I would love to get Smith as DC and either Gregory or Monken as OC. As for HC, who knows? None of these guys really sticks out as a legitimate candidate except Nall (but I'm basing that mostly on the rumor mill).

Baldy
November 29th, 2005, 08:54 PM
Jay Thomas would be a good choice. I don't think there is a coach in all of division I that has done more with less than Thomas. Seriously, I'm pretty sure that GSU's football budget is bigger than Nicholls entire AD budget.

Don't get me wrong. I like Thomas, but his version of the Triple reminds me too much of Tim Stower's version.
From the little I've seen of Nicholls, his philosophy regarding the offense is the polar opposite from ours. He favors the power version with big backs and big linemen. We utilize the finesse version with faster smaller backs and more mobile and athletic linemen. :twocents:

mainejeff
November 29th, 2005, 09:31 PM
Jack Cosgrove - Maine

Ivytalk
November 29th, 2005, 09:34 PM
Jack Cosgrove - Maine

Jeff, are you trying to raffle him off?

rosy410
November 29th, 2005, 10:10 PM
What about Ham?

mainejeff
November 29th, 2005, 10:24 PM
Jeff, are you trying to raffle him off?

:smiley_wi

GreatAppSt
November 29th, 2005, 11:33 PM
Elmer Fudd :D scratch, football season over laps rabbit season

It seems to me that GSUs AD and many boosters will only be happy with a coach that is qualified as a Super Genuis. They have only one choice it's Mr. Wiley Coyote as HC. IMHO :D

DB_Atlantic10
November 29th, 2005, 11:52 PM
Does anyone honestly think that a storied program like GSU would have fired their coach without already having someone hired behind closed doors... we can guess all we want, but I'm sure the new coach has long been picked..... :twocents:

TXST_CAT
November 30th, 2005, 02:51 AM
Say Hello to the New GSA offense the "West Coast Redneck Offense". No offense just a direct Quote.

Auburn puts South in West Coast offense
By Kelly Whiteside, USA TODAY
Auburn's offensive line coach Hugh Nall jokes that the Tigers have a new name for their new offense: the West Coast redneck offense.
Follow link for full story.
GSU might be savoring the past but taking steps toward the future.
As far as experience I think he has seen enough time on the field to know what he is looking for in a staff. Our Coach Bailiff is in his second year as HC but he surounded himself with an amazing staff. He was a DC at TCU before comming back to TXSt. Good Luck in the New hire!
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/sec/2004-09-16-auburn-offense_x.htm[/QUOTE]

TXST_CAT
November 30th, 2005, 02:51 AM
Say Hello to the New GSU offense the "West Coast Redneck Offense". No offense just a direct Quote.

Auburn's offensive line coach Hugh Nall jokes that the Tigers have a new name for their new offense: the West Coast redneck offense.
As far as experience I think he has seen enough time on the field to know what he is looking for in a staff. Our Coach Bailiff is in his second year as HC but he surounded himself with an amazing staff. He was a DC at TCU before comming back to TXSt. Good Luck in the New hire!
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/sec/2004-09-16-auburn-offense_x.htm[/QUOTE]

DinoDex200
November 30th, 2005, 09:47 AM
What about Ham?

Didn't the Hambone get a quick axe at Clark Atlanta?? Maybe you're joking...but I doubt he's a candidate.

If you wanna really run the option, why not bring in Alan Chadwick from The Marist School. xlolx

rosy410
November 30th, 2005, 10:36 AM
Didn't the Hambone get a quick axe at Clark Atlanta?? Maybe you're joking...but I doubt he's a candidate.

If you wanna really run the option, why not bring in Alan Chadwick from The Marist School. xlolx

I may wrong but didn't Clark lose it's program completely. There was a report yesterday that he would be a canidate.

BigApp
November 30th, 2005, 10:52 AM
Rob Best is available!!
:eek: :eek: :smiley_wi :eek: :eek:

SoCon48
November 30th, 2005, 10:53 AM

Hugh Null Auburn

Pat Sullivan UAB

No matter what, it will be interesting to find out:
1. Whether these "choices" will actually take the job.
2. If they have proven they can be successful, why would they leave?except the case of assistants wanting their first HC gig.
3. If the newbie can get that quick NC to save his azz.
4. If a young guy will stay after he does well.
5. Who on the list wants to bet his career vs the "must win an NC" standard.
6. Will the next guy be able to better Sewak's performance?
7. Where Sewak will go.

DinoDex200
November 30th, 2005, 11:04 AM
I may wrong but didn't Clark lose it's program completely. There was a report yesterday that he would be a canidate.

You're thinking of Morris Brown. Clark still has a program...although I don't know if a struggling HBCU is a fair barometer of Tracey Ham's coaching ability. Maybe his alma mater would like to give him a 2nd chance...and he would certainly generate buzz around Statesboro being the legend that he is in those parts.

Tom W
November 30th, 2005, 12:14 PM
From the outside looking in, I would expect that the words of the AD "Georga Southern needs to go in a new direction", would mean that they will be looking to change the philosophy of the program. The obvious change would be to improve their ability to pass the ball! They run the option as good or better than anybody, but when forced to pass they are in trouble.

Purple Knight
November 30th, 2005, 12:31 PM
Say Hello to the New GSU offense the "West Coast Redneck Offense". No offense just a direct Quote.

You can say that again!

DinoDex200
November 30th, 2005, 01:11 PM
From the outside looking in, I would expect that the words of the AD "Georga Southern needs to go in a new direction", would mean that they will be looking to change the philosophy of the program. The obvious change would be to improve their ability to pass the ball! They run the option as good or better than anybody, but when forced to pass they are in trouble.

When you think about it, the 2 defining losses for GSU this season were against App and Tx. St - Teams with athletic QB's who can run the option and throw. Maybe they figure they can use all that speed to develop a spread option of their own. You may even see Foster move to WR or TB if that is the case.

OL FU
November 30th, 2005, 01:27 PM
You're thinking of Morris Brown. Clark still has a program...although I don't know if a struggling HBCU is a fair barometer of Tracey Ham's coaching ability. Maybe his alma mater would like to give him a 2nd chance...and he would certainly generate buzz around Statesboro being the legend that he is in those parts.

Wouldn't that be interesting. Tracy Ham coaching GSU and Bobby Lamb coaching FU. MY MY.

DinoDex200
November 30th, 2005, 02:10 PM
Wouldn't that be interesting. Tracy Ham coaching GSU and Bobby Lamb coaching FU. MY MY.

Yes...and not just for the livestock jokes! xlolx xlolx

November 30th, 2005, 03:58 PM
i am with you tex i think thomas would be without a doubt the best choice for gsu. good defensive coach and look what he did at nicholls with a lower picked team.

wonder what he would do with the players gsu brings in?

OL FU
November 30th, 2005, 04:08 PM
Yes...and not just for the livestock jokes! xlolx xlolx

Good one xlolx

Eagle22
November 30th, 2005, 04:13 PM
When you think about it, the 2 defining losses for GSU this season were against App and Tx. St - Teams with athletic QB's who can run the option and throw. Maybe they figure they can use all that speed to develop a spread option of their own. You may even see Foster move to WR or TB if that is the case.

Really, the defining loss was against Wofford.

We win that game, GSU is co-champs in the SoCon ... enters the playoffs at 9-2, ahead of Furman in the pecking order, gets a home game against either a OVC or MEAC team and likely is playing this Saturday. If that's the case, we're not having this conversation.

Sewak's 1-3 record against Wofford over the past four years is the main reason we started 1-2 three of those four years. It's also the chief reason we didn't win 2 conference titles in his four seasons. With the exception of the 2003 homecoming loss to the Citadel, every other conference loss on the Sewak ledger was to some degree, palatable.

Eagle22
November 30th, 2005, 04:15 PM

Going for a defensive minded HC would be a 'new' direction.

IMO, that can happen and still have us keep our offensive system in place.