PDA

View Full Version : Fun comments from Ball State bloggers

UNHWILDCATS05
April 24th, 2009, 02:53 PM
From Ball state blog Over the Pylon (http://overthepylon.blogspot.com/)... I think Ball State could be tough for the 'Cats, but I think they deserve a little more respect than this:

4.) BSU plays two fairly weak openers in North Texas and New Hampshire, before Army and Auburn, both on the road. Thoughts on the Cardinals schedule early? Productive? Waste of time?

Edge: Not overly productive, but not a waste of time. Warm-up gigs all around. It's like seeing a band the first few shows of a tour. Takes a while to knock the rust off and take advantage of some solid chemistry. Plus they're early home games, so it'll be (hopefully) great weather. And what gets you going more than a couple W's heading into Army and Auburn? They won't be too hard to win, but a) it's football, and b) it's Ball State football!

RV: Waste of time. Playing teams like North Texas and New Hampshire does nothing to prepare the team except let them know they can beat s#&%y teams. Auburn is a great game to have on the schedule because it provides opportunity. If Ball State had a major team on their schedule last year outside of MAC play, they would've been even more hyped and Nate would've had even MORE fumbles.

Alan: It sounds elitist and arrogant, but frankly, I approach games like this sort of the same way Steve Spurrier did... "Give 'em a check, and save 'em the trip". The possibility of injury, or worse, a loss, is just too great to even risk. Having said that, this offense will need some time to gel. That's what these little warm up games are for. So in the words of Mitch Hedberg, "I'm for 'em!"

jmufan999
April 24th, 2009, 03:06 PM
eh, we'd be saying the same thing if the roles were reversed. let's not forget that we love our teams which happen to be in FCS... i've never heard of anyone that just likes the FCS and doesn't have a favorite team/school they attended. plus, FBS teams win something like 95% of the time, so at some point, reality has to kick in. if there's any team that can pull off the upset, though, it's UNH... obviously been great in the last 4 (right?) years vs. FBS. can't blame Cards fans for thinking that way. we say the same thing when we play D-II teams.

Jackman
April 24th, 2009, 03:12 PM
You'd think UNH would be one of the exceptions though. The fact that these guys are more concerned about Army, which UNH thumped last season, shows that they haven't looked further than the name of the subdivision.

PapaBear
April 24th, 2009, 03:54 PM
I think it speaks to the shoot-from-the-hip, unprepared, who-cares-about-facts nature of a lot of people who blog and post on chat boards.

(I say that with all due respect to AGS posters, who've been as reliable a group as I've seen anywhere, in the four years I've been on this board.)

Those Ball Sac ... er, State people probably think they're USC now that they've finally had a couple of winning seasons in a row. I hope UNH kicks their cardinal butts.

Bison_Kent
April 24th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Ball State lost to a FCS transitional team in NDSU in 2006. I think they better look what has happened in the recent past before commenting on how easy their schedule is.

DX Man
April 24th, 2009, 04:51 PM
Let them overlook UNH and see what happens!

introvertedGSUfan
April 24th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Hope UNH demolishes them. Is Nate what's-his-face still at Ball State or has he graduated?

Uncle Rico's Clan
April 24th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Hope UNH demolishes them. Is Nate what's-his-face still at Ball State or has he graduated?

I am pretty sure he left early, I think he still had his senior season left.

FCS_pwns_FBS
April 24th, 2009, 07:00 PM
eh, we'd be saying the same thing if the roles were reversed.

Nope. For a warm-up game, I'd much rather play a UTC, an Idaho State, or an Indiana State than a good DII team. I think most on here would agree. This is just pure ignorance by the BSU fans. I'm sure Northwestern, Rutgers, Marshall, and maybe even Army thought they'd cream UNH also.

plus, FBS teams win something like 95% of the time.

True, but what's the record when non-BCS teams play the better FCS teams? Seems to be in the past few seasons it has been pretty good.

Wildcat80
April 24th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Keep em blogging just that way. We want them brimming with overconfidence!! I hope all they do is think about Auburn all summer long. Just do it Cats!

JohnStOnge
April 24th, 2009, 07:47 PM
... FBS teams win something like 95% of the time, so at some point, reality has to kick in.

Not all FBS teams are created equal. Ball State, during the BCS era (1998 - present), is now 3-3 against I-AA/FCS teams. I haven't updated my overall databases yet but its conference, the MAC, was 67-20 against I-AA/FCS teams 1998-2007 ( 0.770). That might look pretty good, but consider the fact that the MAC likes to consider itself in the same "club" as BCS league teams and BCS league teams were 231-44 (0.840) against the MAC over the same period.

In other words, the results imply that I-AA/FCS has been closer in caliber to the MAC than the MAC has been to the BCS leagues.

And, again, a Ball State person talking about stuff like FCS teams not being quality opponents is really laughable because Ball State probably hasn't had a team during the entire BCS period that would've won the I-AA/FCS national championship. Maybe last year. Maybe. But in Sagarin's ratings Ball State finished behind four FCS teams. Other than last year, Ball State hasn't had a team that would have had even a remote shot. They had a fairly decent team in 2007, but they'd have been a huge underdog to Appalachian State's 2007 team if they'd have somehow managed to get by everybody else.

LakesBison
April 24th, 2009, 08:29 PM
I trash talked BALL ST pretty good before NDSU beat them

My best bud Travis White had the Bubble Screen to the HOUSE!

anyways, if you need Lakesbison's help. I can help out a fellow FCS' er.

the look on Ball State's players and fans when NDSU beat them was priceless!

Cobblestone
April 24th, 2009, 08:47 PM
RV: Waste of time. Playing teams like North Texas and New Hampshire does nothing to prepare the team except let them know they can beat s#&%y teams.

Does anybody want to send this idiot some BBQ sauce so he can pour it on the crow that he'll be eating on September 12?

UNH_Alum_In_CT
April 25th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Does anybody want to send this idiot some BBQ sauce so he can pour it on the crow that he'll be eating on September 12?

Shhhhhh! Let them get nice and overconfident! ;) It is pretty amazing how little research some of these fans do and how easily they buy into the myths/stereotypes.

slycat
April 25th, 2009, 02:25 PM
We say the same thing about playing DII schools so big whoop

Reign of Terrier
April 25th, 2009, 03:05 PM
We say the same thing about playing DII schools so big whoop

I think there is a difference. A top notch FCS team should be able to take down a top notch d2 easily (same with FBS and FCS). How often do the Chattanooga fans say they will beat the crap out of a top notch NAIA or D2 team (when they play them)?

UNHWILDCATS05
May 19th, 2009, 01:20 PM
Some more... Personally, I think the more they believe that we are on the same level as North Texas or Army the better... Again, not saying a win would not be tough for the 'Cats but just funny to see the utter lack of knowledge...

Over the Pylon (http://overthepylon.blogspot.com/)

"Why does Ball State feel the need to schedule such rinky dink opponents to start the season? Doesn't this hurt us in the long run?

Alan: For the same reason Kansas State, Michigan, and Florida used to schedule Ball State. The simple reality is you have 8 conference games with equally matched talent. Therefore, to get to the magic wins needed for Bowl eligibility, you have to get in where you fit in and part of that is scheduling a couple of teams, on paper, that you can easily handle. I think the current structure (this year's) of two fairly easy games, one road game you should win, and one road game against a tough "name" opponent is perfect for the Cardinals, and I hope that sort of scheduling continues.

Edge: This seems like a bigger deal than it actually is. All but 32 FBS teams had at least one FCS opponent in 2008. And, up until recently, Ball State has been viewed as such against BCS schools. Alan said it best when you have to try to get in where you fit in. Ball State has to play the North Texases, the New Hampshires, and the Armys. Without it, we may never get a chance to play that #9 team in the ACC in January.

Alan: And really, nothing says "success" like a date with NC State during the second to last game of the season in Mobile, AL."

nmatsen
May 19th, 2009, 02:45 PM
What is Ball State's record against the FCS the last ten years?

I only know of their two losses against Valley Schools, UNI in 01' and NDSU I believe in 07'.

89Hen
May 19th, 2009, 02:48 PM
You'd think UNH would be one of the exceptions though. The fact that these guys are more concerned about Army, which UNH thumped last season, shows that they haven't looked further than the name of the subdivision.
And the fact that UNH is 4-0 vs I-A's in the last four. xbowx

UNHWildCats
May 19th, 2009, 02:51 PM
And the fact that UNH is 4-0 vs I-A's in the last four. xbowx
if they beat Ball State will they get back into your top 25? :p

89Hen
May 19th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Nope. They have to beat good teams... like the ones in the CAA South. :p

appmaj
May 19th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Ball State??? Really? When do the get the right to talk junk to anyone?

bluehenbillk
May 19th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Didn't Ball State have like their best season ever last year. I'm too lazy to look it up but I think they were undefeated in the regular season & then got spanked by Buffalo in the MAC Champ game. I'd expect their fans to beat their chests after such a year.

All that being said I think UNH could go to Indiana & knock them off their pedestal.

appmaj
May 19th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Didn't Ball State have like their best season ever last year. I'm too lazy to look it up but I think they were undefeated in the regular season & then got spanked by Buffalo in the MAC Champ game. I'd expect their fans to beat their chests after such a year.

All that being said I think UNH could go to Indiana & knock them off their pedestal.

They did have a great season in the MAC, but UNH could probably win the MAC

Smacked by Buffalo & Tulsa (GMAC Bowl)...

Umass74
May 19th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Shush! Stay off their blog.

Say "Hello" after the UNH visit. :D

Wildcat80
May 19th, 2009, 06:52 PM
once our OL gels we will be a tough opponent. For a Ball State win though we gotta do it the 2nd game. I expect very good senior leadership--Sicko, Kackert etc Guys that are used to winning and hopefully want to go far postseason. UNH is used to having to earn respect. A trip to Muncie is just what we need to get things rolling.

Silenoz
May 19th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Wow, I hope New Hampshire destroys BSU . Those guys could not be more oblivious to their own team's history, much less their opponents

thefortyniner
May 19th, 2009, 07:28 PM
eh, we'd be saying the same thing if the roles were reversed. let's not forget that we love our teams which happen to be in FCS... i've never heard of anyone that just likes the FCS and doesn't have a favorite team/school they attended. plus, FBS teams win something like 95% of the time, so at some point, reality has to kick in. if there's any team that can pull off the upset, though, it's UNH... obviously been great in the last 4 (right?) years vs. FBS. can't blame Cards fans for thinking that way. we say the same thing when we play D-II teams.

Not sure what you mean by that, but if you mean what I think you mean, allow me to introduce myself. I don't have a favorite college football team, period. When Charlotte takes the field in 2013, I'll have one... but until then I watch with little to no bias in both FCS and FBS. Just because my school doesn't play FBS football doesn't mean I'm going to sell out for a big school who's campus I've never set foot on.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
May 19th, 2009, 08:33 PM

Exactly!!!!!! Let their heads swell, let them think we're a cupcake, don't give them any bulletin board material for the locker room, etc. xwhistlex xwhistlex xlolx xlolx xlolx

WrenFGun
May 19th, 2009, 10:56 PM

xthumbsupx

Laughed quite a bit there. I mean, UNH is still a 'dog here, but you would think they would at least look at the record over the last four.

UNHWildCats
May 20th, 2009, 12:21 AM
Nope. They have to beat good teams... like the ones in the CAA South. :p
this is the year we beat W&M.... it has to be right??? Plus Towson... but they prolly dont count.... and we can beat Villanova.... its not like we lost too bad last year.

UNHWILDCATS05
May 20th, 2009, 07:53 AM

I am wayyy to superstitious to do any pregame trash talking... I usually go to the teams message boards just to see what they are saying and to try and get any visitor's information if I am making the trip..

Can't wait for this trip... and speaking of... anyone who has been to Ball state/Indy. have any advice for visiting fans??

I-AA Fan
May 20th, 2009, 02:30 PM
From Ball state blog Over the Pylon (http://overthepylon.blogspot.com/)... I think Ball State could be tough for the 'Cats, but I think they deserve a little more respect than this:

Clearly unknowable people. Both teams are better than Army. What, has Army moved up to the second-worst team in IA/FBS when I was not looking?

OverThePylon
May 22nd, 2009, 01:48 PM
Hey everyone!

Just to clarify one thing, the last comment about "rinky dink" was from a reader via our mailbag. I've taken a pretty good look at UNH over the last couple of weeks, and am liking what I'm seeing. Here's hoping for a great game and no injuries.

And you guys are always welcome at OTP anytime. :)