PDA

View Full Version : YSU Head Coach- Gateway Coach of the Year

FlyYtown
November 29th, 2005, 05:51 PM
One of two Gateway finalists for the Eddie Robinson Award, given to the nation's top I-AA coach, Jon Heacock is this year's Gateway Coach of the Year. Despite being picked sixth in the league's pre-season poll, the Penguins won their first Gateway Conference championship, sharing the title with UNI and Southern Illinois with 5-2 conference records. At 8-3 this year, Youngstown State had its best season since 2001, Heacock's first as head coach at YSU.

I think after the #1 Ranked Team you will see out at Stambaugh in 2006; he and We shall get the respect we deserve with a playoff berth......
GO GUINS!!!!!! Bring on Penn State!
:xmas:

Chi Panther
November 29th, 2005, 09:55 PM
I thought he was fired for missing the playoffs........AGAIN......

FlyYtown
November 29th, 2005, 10:15 PM
Can't help we were screwed over.

Chi Panther
November 29th, 2005, 10:31 PM
I agree.

However, I'm honestly shocked that YSU hasn't fired him yet....yes he has made a turn in the right direction this year....and YSU is going to be very good again next year.....but at a program like YSU....a winning record is NOT enough.

Reed Rothchild
November 29th, 2005, 11:36 PM
I agree.

However, I'm honestly shocked that YSU hasn't fired him yet....yes he has made a turn in the right direction this year....and YSU is going to be very good again next year.....but at a program like YSU....a winning record is NOT enough.

(see Georgia Southern)

FlyYtown
November 30th, 2005, 05:49 AM
I agree.

From 2002-2004 he was using what was left of Tressel now he has his recruits and transfers in and they thrived and they will thrive. I love Heacock and many hate him but I think he would be a better I-A coach for the simple fact he has the coaching expierence with his bro at Ohio St and he once coaching at Ohio State and under Tressel at YSU.

GoGuins
November 30th, 2005, 06:23 AM
Can't help we were screwed over.

Give it a rest already! :bawling:

igo4uni
November 30th, 2005, 08:52 AM
Isn't YSU going to be in the MAC next year?

peace

igo4uni

GoGuins
November 30th, 2005, 09:30 AM
Isn't YSU going to be in the MAC next year?

peace

igo4uni

I think that's some sarcasm, but most YSU fans would tell you we're happy in I-AA and the GFC.

YSU does not have the athletic budget to enter the MAC

Reed Rothchild
November 30th, 2005, 09:35 AM
YSU does not have the athletic budget to enter the MAC

FlyYtown sure thinks YSU does.

Cap'n Cat
November 30th, 2005, 01:39 PM
.........the Penguins won their first Gateway Conference championship, sharing the title with UNI and Southern Illinois with 5-2 conference records.
:xmas:

Pfffffffft!

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Coattail clingers!!!!! Name droppers!!!!!

http://www.cookinfrance.com/preethi%20laughing%203.jpg

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :bow: :bow: :bow:

bandl
November 30th, 2005, 01:46 PM
:xmas:[/QUOTE]

What is this a reference to? PSU football doesn't play I-AA teams. So I assume it's another sport you're referring to.

bandl
November 30th, 2005, 01:46 PM
[/QUOTE]
:xmas:[/QUOTE]

What is this a reference to? PSU football doesn't play I-AA teams. So I assume it's another sport you're referring to.

bandl
November 30th, 2005, 01:47 PM

bandl
November 30th, 2005, 01:47 PM
3 posts at once! I'm awesome!

FlyYtown
November 30th, 2005, 02:42 PM
We are playing Penn State next year.
2. On a few sites polls were done; one was 50/50 that we should join I-A.
3. TV Poll had 49% explore I-A.

GoGuins. Its my opinion and If I think we were screwed over; which we were; I am gonna say it and say it until we get in, in 2006.

Cap'n Cat
November 30th, 2005, 02:46 PM

GoGuins. Its my opinion and If I think we were screwed over; which we were; I am gonna say it and say it until we get in, in 2006.

Look up "whacked" in the dictionary - you find this lumper. 99% of YSU folks have calmed down about deservedly NOT getting in this year because they FAILED to win crucial games.....and here is Don Quixote...................

xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

:rolleyes:

ysuindy
November 30th, 2005, 02:48 PM
Give it a rest already! :bawling:

Agreed

Fly - who is Penn State dropping to play YSU? Their site shows 12 games and no YSU. Or is this from the same sources that led you to guarantee YSU was in the playoffs?

http://www.psu.edu/sports/tickets/Football.htm (Penn State 2006 schedule)

It is a much better week to be Heacock than Sewak.

Heacock - five seasons, no playoffs - contract extension.

Sewak - 35-14 overall, playoffs in 3 of 4 years - let go as coach.

bandl
November 30th, 2005, 02:49 PM

Did YSU change their name? Perhaps to 'Akron' or 'Louisiana Tech'? I don't see their name on the PSU schedule.

SCHEDULE/RESULTS FOR FOOTBALL (ALL TIMES EASTERN)

Saturday, September 2 Akron Home More
Saturday, September 9 Notre Dame Away More
Saturday, September 16 Louisiana Tech Home More
Saturday, September 23 Ohio State Away More
Saturday, September 30 Northwestern Home More
Saturday, October 7 Minnesota Away More
Saturday, October 14 Michigan Home More
Saturday, October 21 Illinois Home More
Saturday, October 28 Purdue Away More
Saturday, November 4 Wisconsin Away More
Saturday, November 11 Temple Home More
Saturday, November 18 Michigan State Home More

texcap
November 30th, 2005, 02:52 PM
Did YSU change their name? Perhaps to 'Akron' or 'Louisiana Tech'? I don't see their name on the PSU schedule.

SCHEDULE/RESULTS FOR FOOTBALL (ALL TIMES EASTERN)

Saturday, September 2 Akron Home More
Saturday, September 9 Notre Dame Away More
Saturday, September 16 Louisiana Tech Home More
Saturday, September 23 Ohio State Away More
Saturday, September 30 Northwestern Home More
Saturday, October 7 Minnesota Away More
Saturday, October 14 Michigan Home More
Saturday, October 21 Illinois Home More
Saturday, October 28 Purdue Away More
Saturday, November 4 Wisconsin Away More
Saturday, November 11 Temple Home More
Saturday, November 18 Michigan State Home More

Just be thankful one of the opponents isn't Lafayette or another PL team or we would never hear the end of it!

FlyYtown
November 30th, 2005, 02:59 PM
LOUISIANA TECH BACKED OUT OF THEIR CONTRACT AND THEY WILL NOT BE PLAYING THEM.. THAT IS SOMETHING I AM CERTAIN OF.. I subscribe to a PSU Paper and it was in there last week.

bandl
November 30th, 2005, 03:00 PM
LOUISIANA TECH BACKED OUT OF THEIR CONTRACT AND THEY WILL NOT BE PLAYING THEM.. THAT IS SOMETHING I AM CERTAIN OF.. I subscribe to a PSU Paper and it was in there last week.

So that means that JP will start playing I-AA teams now, and YSU is first in line?

FlyYtown
November 30th, 2005, 03:01 PM
So that means that JP will start playing I-AA teams now, and YSU is first in line?
Yes it does with the 12 Game Rule.. Most I-A Schools schedules are set and both have the bye's now and the folks on the psu boards say ysu; voice of the guins bobby hannon says psu; ad says psu..

texcap
November 30th, 2005, 03:02 PM

That's because they are already on the way to IA; didn't you get that memo?

bandl
November 30th, 2005, 03:04 PM
Yes it does with the 12 Game Rule.. Most I-A Schools schedules are set and both have the bye's now and the folks on the psu boards say ysu; voice of the guins bobby hannon says psu; ad says psu..

The last time PSU played a non I-A school was 1984, a little ol' Virginia school by the likes of Mary & Bill, which PSU won 56-18.

JP does not schedule non I-A schools.

ysuindy
November 30th, 2005, 03:16 PM
While Fly's credibility may not be the greatest in my eyes, he seems to have something here.

LaTech did back out on November 7 and the Pittsburgh Post Gazette is speculatilng PSU may end up with a I-AA game on September 16 - the week after a trip to South Bend and a week before a trip to Columbus

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/psu/questions/ (Penn State chat)

bandl
November 30th, 2005, 03:25 PM
While Fly's credibility may not be the greatest in my eyes, he seems to have something here.

LaTech did back out on November 7 and the Pittsburgh Post Gazette is speculatilng PSU may end up with a I-AA game on September 16 - the week after a trip to South Bend and a week before a trip to Columbus

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/psu/questions/ (Penn State chat)

Then that DOES take YSU out of equation with PSU because they are I-A now.
I do know that JP and his staff will do everything they can to play a non I-A school. It's a pride thing (as I've been told many a time by my PSU pals)...PSU has never wanted a non I-A win hanging over them when it comes to push and shove (rankings, bowl bids, etc.) with other schools.

penguinonastick
November 30th, 2005, 04:00 PM
An about the selection committee and the fact that Northeastern and Liberty both BACKED OUT of their contracts with YSU. This leaves some openings in YSU's schedule for a Big Ten game. Tressel has stated it is not if but when he plays YSU. PSU is a different story - I really don't see them scheduling it but you never know today.

http://www.vindy.com/content/sports/local_regional/286994804177158.php

AppGuy04
November 30th, 2005, 04:01 PM
Why does it matter, its not like they are gonna make it a game? :confused:

FlyYtown
December 1st, 2005, 02:26 PM
Why does it matter, its not like they are gonna make it a game? :confused:
Who cares... A game is a game and on ANY GIVEN SATURDAY Anyone can win...

I guess my YSU Fans don't watch 33 WYTV. Bob Hannon has said on about 4-5 newscasts PENN STATE AND BIG 10...

Expect an Ohio school in the other game...

bandl
December 1st, 2005, 02:50 PM

I guess my YSU Fans don't watch 33 WYTV. Bob Hannon has said on about 4-5 newscasts PENN STATE AND BIG 10...

IF IF IF PSU plays YSU in 2006, it'll be big news, it won't be happy news for the PSU faithful (pride...they don't want to play anyone not considered I-A), and the score will be ugly. PSU hasn't played a non I-A since 1984.

But we all already knew all of this. I'm tripping over myself here.

Do you think that YSU could use their Tressel strings to play OSU?

GoGuins
December 1st, 2005, 03:21 PM

Are you kidding me? I'm sure YSU could be competitive like they were in a 41-0 drubbing to a sub-par Pitt team this past season. It would be very ugly if YSU would play a top tier Big Ten team. And I don't care if you have Swogger, Irizarry, Mason, Riley, etc. on the team next year.

Also, when has Hannon ever been right?

GoGuins
December 1st, 2005, 03:24 PM
IF IF IF PSU plays YSU in 2006, it'll be big news, it won't be happy news for the PSU faithful (pride...they don't want to play anyone not considered I-A), and the score will be ugly. PSU hasn't played a non I-A since 1984.

But we all already knew all of this. I'm tripping over myself here.

Do you think that YSU could use their Tressel strings to play OSU?

Supposedly Tressel and the OSU AD are in favor of playing YSU and are in the process of scheduling YSU probably around '08 or '09. But as you said, the PSU fans would be up in arms about playing a I-AA, I've already seen on the OSU message boards they are totally against playing YSU and consider and call them D-II. It is estimated to be a 400-500k payday for YSU

penguinonastick
December 1st, 2005, 08:53 PM
PSU-YSU - done deal. Talked to a close source tonight - $350,000 payoff. Looks like we have the money game - just have to get rid of Slippery Rock and replace with a weak 1-AA

bandl
December 2nd, 2005, 07:25 AM
PSU-YSU - done deal. Talked to a close source tonight - $350,000 payoff. Looks like we have the money game - just have to get rid of Slippery Rock and replace with a weak 1-AA

do you have anything in writing or whatever? I'm really interested to see if this really pans out. not so much because of YSU (no offense meant, btw) but because my girlfriend went to PSU.

bandl
December 2nd, 2005, 05:39 PM
do you have anything in writing or whatever? I'm really interested to see if this really pans out. not so much because of YSU (no offense meant, btw) but because my girlfriend went to PSU.

Just being a greedy bastard and moving this to the top of the AGS discussion page :p ....anyone know if this is really going to pan out?

skinny_uncle
December 2nd, 2005, 08:08 PM
Maybe it is the beginning of the Gateway-Big 10 challenge. After all, SIU is playing Indiana next year. It would have to be better than that GFC-OVC challenge thing they tried for a couple of years.
:eyebrow:

Blue42
December 2nd, 2005, 11:17 PM
UNI ended up playing Iowa this season because Missouri backed out of their contract with Iowa and offered the Panthers a nice pay day.

There was a lot of debate among hard core Panther fans about whether such a game was a good idea or not. Some said "Sure, take the money and get the exposure". Others said "If we get drilled then we look bad, and it doesn't help with our goals of winning the Gateway and making a playoff run."

The tie-breaker for me was that the players really wanted to play it. And if that's the case then I can get on board. Turns out the Panther offense had some success and Sanders had a really impressive day, so ultimately the Panthers did get some good exposure that they couldn't get if they won 25 straight 1-AA games.

So in this case it worked out OK, but if the game was scheduled again next year I'd still have mixed feelings. The money is great. And a good showing can do some good things for the program, but a beating hurts the season.

FlyYtown
December 2nd, 2005, 11:22 PM
It is official. done deal.. now we get the spotlight of one of the best programs in the nation....

lets hope our i-a transfers can keep it closer than 41-0!

bandl
December 3rd, 2005, 07:55 AM
It is official. done deal.. now we get the spotlight of one of the best programs in the nation....

lets hope our i-a transfers can keep it closer than 41-0!

Pretty cool! Unfortunately for YSU....the window of opportunity to keep a game close with PSU closed after last season.

Pete's Weekly
December 3rd, 2005, 10:01 AM
Just being a greedy bastard and moving this to the top of the AGS discussion page :p ....anyone know if this is really going to pan out?

Yes it is for real. Also, there is a multi-game deal in the works with YSU and Ohio State. The school was going to add YSU into their MAC rotation (which would put YSU at OSU about once every 5 years, but that drew fire from Ohio's MAC members. So, that looks to become only a 1-game deal now. To Quote Ohio State AD Smith ... 'the youngstown deal is going to get done ...I am a big believer is I-AA football...'

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/1118309671207412.xml&coll=2#continue