PDA

View Full Version : Is the GSU 'option attack' history

ChickenMan
November 29th, 2005, 02:37 PM
Does a new coach mean a new style offense or will the new guy have to be an advocate of the traditional GSU triple option offense???

rosy410
November 29th, 2005, 02:42 PM
We would have to keep the option in for a while at least.

I hope we keep it.

89Hen
November 29th, 2005, 02:45 PM
We would have to keep the option in for a while at least.
Why? When Keeler took over at UD he immediately went to a spread offense and did pretty well his second year.

pete4256
November 29th, 2005, 02:55 PM
Why? When Keeler took over at UD he immediately went to a spread offense and did pretty well his second year.

I don't think that 5-6 is really an "option" for GSU next year.

Our personnel is radically specialized compared to how Delaware's was, and I don't see us picking up an influx of transfers to tide us over like they did.

Bottom line: no matter what our AD says, our new head coach will almost surely run the option, keeping Foster and others in place.

Go...gate
November 29th, 2005, 02:55 PM
You guys would be crazy to junk the Wishbone. Are any of Paul Johnson's or Erk Russell's assistants around?

DemiGS
November 29th, 2005, 03:01 PM
It would be a sad day in Statesboro, and I-AA in general if GSU were to adopt the cookie cutter offense you can see almost any team on any Saturday run.

PantherRob82
November 29th, 2005, 03:03 PM
Look at what Nebraska had to do to keep up. Is this the route GSU will go? Hopefully if you do you don't have the down years they have.

SeattleGriz
November 29th, 2005, 03:05 PM
It would be sad, but the defenses today are now getting to the point where they can defend against the triple option adequately. Defense is always the last component to come together as far as capabilities.

Why don't the pros run the triple option? Because the defenses are too good.

This is of course my personal opinion and am not trying to make GSU'ers feel bad. Just trying to point out what the future may hold.

pete4256
November 29th, 2005, 03:16 PM
It would be sad, but the defenses today are now getting to the point where they can defend against the triple option adequately.

Really? Then why has GSU averaged nearly 40+ points and nearly 500 yards of offense a game over the last two years?

GreatAppSt
November 29th, 2005, 03:16 PM
With a new coach the option is history at GSU IMHO.

LacesOut
November 29th, 2005, 03:21 PM
It would be a sad day in Statesboro, and I-AA in general if GSU were to adopt the cookie cutter offense you can see almost any team on any Saturday run.

Agreed.

Heck, alot of High School teams are running that O.

SeattleGriz
November 29th, 2005, 03:32 PM
Really? Then why has GSU averaged nearly 40+ points and nearly 500 yards of offense a game over the last two years?

Because it is still a difficult offense to defend. If you do not keep your assignment, you get busted for a big play. Add to that fact that GSU plays in I-AA and some of the defenses are not that good. In essence, the defense at the I-AA level does not have all the tools to shut down the triple option like the pros do.

No smack intended, just my opinion as to why the option is slowly fading. Kids everywhere get great training and coaching whereas in the past, only exclusive schools could offer that.

putter
November 29th, 2005, 03:32 PM
Given the fickle nature of the administration, that they showed today firing Sewak, I would think a new coach would have to run the option to keep people happy and get off on the right foot.

DemiGS
November 29th, 2005, 03:39 PM
yeah yeah....How long have people been saying that the option just can't hold up to the newer faster defenses. Those original "newer faster" defenses are probably in their 40s now.

ChickenMan
November 29th, 2005, 03:41 PM
yeah yeah....How long have people been saying that the option just can't hold up to the newer faster defenses. Those original "newer faster" defenses are probably in their 40s now.

How's that option hold up in bad weather... ;)

DinoDex200
November 29th, 2005, 03:42 PM

Yes, much better to run an archaic option attack. :rolleyes:

GSU's option isn't what it used to be. In fact, you can argue it was only what it was in the late 90's thanks to AP. The QB position hasn't dropped off from Greg Hill with Revere, Williams, and Foster...but they don't have the fullback. Austin put up the numbers a decent fullback would...but he couldn't change the game like AP.

I don't see them dropping it right away...it might just get tweaked a little.

Cap'n Cat
November 29th, 2005, 03:46 PM
One other thing, and it may have been covered here - if so, pardon me - but, kids these days look to the pro's and what they're doing. The major colleges, too. The GSU kind of option is, indeed, passe' and does not provide the excitement (admittedly, a loose term) of a multiple pro offense.

Aspiring lineman, for example want to learn how to pass block which, to me, is the ticket to the big game.

My pinny only.

rosy410
November 29th, 2005, 03:50 PM
One other thing, and it may have been covered here - if so, pardon me - but, kids these days look to the pro's and what they're doing. The major colleges, too. The GSU kind of option is, indeed, passe' and does not provide the excitement (admittedly, a loose term) of a multiple pro offense.

Aspiring lineman, for example want to learn how to pass block which, to me, is the ticket to the big game.

My pinny only.

Yes but smaller OL can play at GSU. Same goes for skill players that would have to move D for bigger schools. They play A back at Southern. I don't thikn we can recruit the athletes needed to run a conventional offense. Those big meanies are normally snatched up by the bigger schools in the SE area.

Cap'n Cat
November 29th, 2005, 03:51 PM
Yes but smaller OL can play at GSU. Same goes for skill players that would have to move D for bigger schools. They play A back at Southern. I don't thikn we can recruit the athletes needed to run a conventional offense. Those big meanies are normally snatched up by the bigger schools in the SE area.

Good point, rosey.

:)

Umass74
November 29th, 2005, 03:59 PM
If a new coach didn't keep the option, wouldn't he have to dump about half the GSU team?

I can't see any pro-set or west coast offense coach liking those 255 pd offensive linemen that GSU has. He would have to dump the three deep at QB. And although option receivers as an artifact of the option system have a high yardage/catch, no coach from Hofstra, EWU or New Hampshire would trade WR's with GSU.

How would the new coach have time to set up his system and recruit the players needed to run it?

FU97
November 29th, 2005, 04:12 PM

Furman hasn't had any problem getting tons of great linemen in the SE area.

Seven Would Be Nice
November 29th, 2005, 04:14 PM

Have you heard of the Hugo Bowl? :smiley_wi

pete4256
November 29th, 2005, 04:16 PM

GSU's option isn't what it used to be. In fact, you can argue it was only what it was in the late 90's thanks to AP. The QB position hasn't dropped off from Greg Hill with Revere, Williams, and Foster...but they don't have the fullback. Austin put up the numbers a decent fullback would...but he couldn't change the game like AP.

It sure looked like "what it used to be" a bright, beautiful October day in 2004 where the Eagles entertained a large Paulson Stadium crowd with a 54 point outburst against "the greatest SoCon program of all time." I have heard about enough smack from ASU fans this year. Yeah, you dominated us. Big deal. Now you know everything there is to know about GSU's flaws and foibles, from coaching family drama to "archaic" offensive schemes. I'm willing to bet that many of you are the same group of "fans" who were on AGS calling for Moore's head last year.

FargoBison
November 29th, 2005, 04:23 PM
Didn't GSU just fire a coach that went 8-4 and made the playoffs? If they were to ditch the option they would have a few down years because they just don't have the tools to go from the option to a pro style offense. I think the powers that be down in GSU want to have big success right away with whatever new coach they bring in so I highly doubt they will want to go through a two or more year rebuilding process. The option probably stays but I wonder how much longer it will be effective. As people have said before Nebraska ran the option and eventually defenses were able to shut it down, NDSU used to run the option and were forced to change. I think it is only a matter of time before the option is just run in small college football and in high schools.

GSUISBACK
November 29th, 2005, 04:58 PM
People seem to forget that it was 34-16 with 4 mins left in the game saturday. GSU running the option was not the reason we lost.

Baldy
November 29th, 2005, 05:05 PM
Didn't GSU just fire a coach that went 8-4 and made the playoffs? If they were to ditch the option they would have a few down years because they just don't have the tools to go from the option to a pro style offense. I think the powers that be down in GSU want to have big success right away with whatever new coach they bring in so I highly doubt they will want to go through a two or more year rebuilding process. The option probably stays but I wonder how much longer it will be effective. As people have said before Nebraska ran the option and eventually defenses were able to shut it down, NDSU used to run the option and were forced to change. I think it is only a matter of time before the option is just run in small college football and in high schools.

As has been said before, we still average 40+ points and 500 ypg. Our problems haven't been on the offensive side of the ball.

Kiss My Apps
November 29th, 2005, 06:05 PM
Look at what Nebraska had to do to keep up. Is this the route GSU will go? Hopefully if you do you don't have the down years they have.

Nebraska's seasons the last 5 years of the option offense:

10-3, 7-7, 11-2, 10-2, 12-1

The two seasons since ditching the option?

7-4, 5-6

Some call it keeping up, I call it a mistake.

txstatebobcat
November 29th, 2005, 06:12 PM
GSU was second only to Texas A&M on points scored on the Texas State defense. Their offense maybe old, but certainly not broken. Defense is where the eagles needed help.

FargoBison
November 29th, 2005, 06:17 PM
Nebraska's seasons the last 5 years of the option offense:

10-3, 7-7, 11-2, 10-2, 12-1

The two seasons since ditching the option?

7-4, 5-6

Some call it keeping up, I call it a mistake.

Nebraska was never going to win another national title running the option, IA defenses are just too fast. Getting rid of the option was the right call the only mistake Nebraska made was hiring Bill Calahan.

eagleskins
November 29th, 2005, 06:41 PM
Nebraska was never going to win another national title running the option, IA defenses are just too fast. Getting rid of the option was the right call the only mistake Nebraska made was hiring Bill Calahan.

Stupid quote. Nebraska went to the NC a few years ago. Are you telling me players are now faster than they were 4 years ago?

NewsEagle93
November 29th, 2005, 06:51 PM
The offense wasn't the problem. The triple option is just fine. Defense and special teams have been the problems. When the triple option is ran properly (blocking on the perimeter and the qb making the right read) few defenses can stop it.

FargoBison
November 29th, 2005, 06:56 PM
Stupid quote. Nebraska went to the NC a few years ago. Are you telling me players are now faster than they were 4 years ago?

And Miami destroyed them, the Nebraska offense could not move ball at all. And after that game their option was never as effective. Option offenses just don't work at the IA level anymore if you want to win titles.

GSUISBACK
November 29th, 2005, 06:57 PM
Clearly you have no clue about football NU was still a top 10 team 4 years ago running the out of date option. GSU was up 34-16 just three days ago running the out of date option.

Go...gate
November 29th, 2005, 07:57 PM
Seems to me they were giving up more points than in the past. In any event, you can't ditch the option. On any level of football, passing is important, but to be consistently successful you have to be able to run the football...and stop the run.

GSUsTALON
November 29th, 2005, 08:22 PM
It would be sad, but the defenses today are now getting to the point where they can defend against the triple option adequately. Defense is always the last component to come together as far as capabilities.

This is of course my personal opinion and am not trying to make GSU'ers feel bad. Just trying to point out what the future may hold.

Ive have heard that for the last 22 years and it WRONG!
SEWAK's poor stats

2002 11-3 rushing386ypg total470ypg 35points pg

2003 7-4 rushing336ypg total415ypg 28points pg

2004 9-3 rushing373ypg total497ypg 49points pg

2005 8-4 rushing370ypg total450ypg 38points pg

I WILL PUT OUR OFFENSIVE STATS UP AGAINST ANYONES. THIS IS THE ONLY OFFENSE WE HAVE RUN SINCE 1984 and is the only offense in 1AA THAT HAS PLAYED FOR 8NCs and won 6. It not the offense thats the problem. IT IS CONSISTANTLY THE MOST POWERFULL OFFENSE IN 1AA. IF ANYONE SAYS WEST COAST OFFENSE I WILL KICK YOU IN THE NADS. PAUL JOHNSON IS THE WINNINGIST NAVY COACH IN THAT PROGRAMS LONG HISTORY AND IT AINT THE D THATS DOING IT AT NAVY!

KJ Eagle
November 29th, 2005, 08:45 PM

but they don't have the fullback. Austin put up the numbers a decent fullback would...but he couldn't change the game like AP.

Nobody could change the game like AP, and nobody probably ever will. But I would say that Austin didn't do to badly for himself. He ended up 6th ALL TIME in rushing in 1-AA. Not too shabby if you ask me.

Maverick
November 29th, 2005, 09:06 PM
Some of the posters here need to be more specific. The "option" offense is not the same as what GSU has run since 84. What GSU runs is far more complex in terms of schemes and reads. That is why one poster was dead on with the comment that with a QB with speed who can make the reads and perimeter blocking this offense is dangerously effective. Not to mention that a great running QB with a fair arm is dangerous with the play-action type pass. Strangely enough the fact that so few teams are running this offense now makes it even more effective and harder to prepare for in the short prep time that the playoffs present. The old adage about offense selling the tickets but defense winning the championships is the bottom line here. When GSU was winning NCs people tended to forget the defense's role on those teams. I'm sure that a lot of GSU fans would be able to agree on that. In fact the times that GSU has lost in the NC it was not lack of points, but a defense that couldn't stop the other team.

GSUsTALON
November 29th, 2005, 09:22 PM
Some of the posters here need to be more specific. The "option" offense is not the same as what GSU has run since 84. What GSU runs is far more complex in terms of schemes and reads. That is why one poster was dead on with the comment that with a QB with speed who can make the reads and perimeter blocking this offense is dangerously effective. Not to mention that a great running QB with a fair arm is dangerous with the play-action type pass. Strangely enough the fact that so few teams are running this offense now makes it even more effective and harder to prepare for in the short prep time that the playoffs present. The old adage about offense selling the tickets but defense winning the championships is the bottom line here. When GSU was winning NCs people tended to forget the defense's role on those teams. I'm sure that a lot of GSU fans would be able to agree on that. In fact the times that GSU has lost in the NC it was not lack of points, but a defense that couldn't stop the other team.

A TRUE TRIPLE OPTION ATTACK RUN FROM A SPREAD FORMATION
WE PERFECTED IT OVER THE LAST 22 F'n YEARS. GO NAVY!

Rick C
November 29th, 2005, 09:32 PM
In fact the times that GSU has lost in the NC it was not lack of points, but a defense that couldn't stop the other team.
They only scored 12 points in one of their NC losses - 1988, IIRC :D

ngineer
November 29th, 2005, 09:43 PM
From my view, GSU's offense wasn't the problem. Championships are won with defense.

GSUsTALON
November 29th, 2005, 09:54 PM
They only scored 12 points in one of their NC losses - 1988, IIRC :D

I like the comeback in 85 better :)

Bobcat94
November 29th, 2005, 09:56 PM
I have total respect now for the GSU vear. They have made it an art ad it was fun to watch. It's just a shame that they are that tough on a coach.

The offense is not the problem. Defense lost them that game. They should not have lost that kind of lead even with our defense finally figuring out the vear.

It would be sad day for GSU to throw out that offense.........Somethings just go together. That blue and white uniform with the number on the helmet just fits the option..........

Good luck in the future GSU and here's to another meeting soon between the 'Cats and the Eagles.

ThreadStopper
November 29th, 2005, 09:56 PM
....... That is why one poster was dead on with the comment that with a QB with speed who can make the reads and perimeter blocking this offense is dangerously effective. Not to mention that a great running QB with a fair arm is dangerous with the play-action type pass......

This sounds like Poly's redshirt freshman QB. Throw in their 7+ yard per carry redshirt freshman RB and the Mustangs will probably be running an option offense for a few years to come.

Cocky
November 29th, 2005, 10:31 PM
You can win running any offensive as long as you run it right. As the old saying goes: There are more than one way to skin a cat.

GSUsTALON
November 29th, 2005, 10:39 PM
You can win running any offensive as long as you run it right. As the old saying goes: There are more than one way to skin a cat.

good point, very true

there are great 1AA coaches that run there scheme well and win but

again

give me a program that has put up the dominating stats that GSU has since 1984

NOBODY in 1AA ever talks about the GSU defense. GSU IS THE SPREAD TRIPLE OPTION!

TXST_CAT
November 30th, 2005, 03:07 AM
People seem to forget that it was 34-16 with 4 mins left in the game saturday. GSU running the option was not the reason we lost.

Are you shure about that, some people feel the running game doesn't do well coming from behind. That may be why your coach hit the panic button and called out the trickery while our spread offense was racking up points. Just a thought. Are you sure it isn't the offense and not the coach.
Just for the sake of conversation

Say Hello to the New GSA offense the "West Coast Redneck Offense". No offense just a direct Quote.

Auburn puts South in West Coast offense
By Kelly Whiteside, USA TODAY
Auburn's offensive line coach Hugh Nall jokes that the Tigers have a new name for their new offense: the West Coast redneck offense.
Follow link for full story.
GSU might be savoring the past but taking steps toward the future.
As far as experience I think he has seen enough time on the field to know what he is looking for in a staff. Our Coach Bailiff is in his second year as HC but he surounded himself with an amazing staff. He was a DC at TCU before comming back to TXSt. Good Luck in the New hire!
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/sec/2004-09-16-auburn-offense_x.htm[/QUOTE]

Food for thought.
Just as it is difficult for defenses to prepare for option teams because lack of a scout team to present a good look. The same may be said for teams that run the option. If your team can't give your D a good look at a passing game how do you expect to be ready to defend the passing game come Sat. I see it all the time at local highschools. They get to playoffs running over the district teams but come playoffs thay are out matched by passing teams who can realy put up numbers.

TXST_CAT
November 30th, 2005, 03:24 AM
I have total respect now for the GSU vear. They have made it an art ad it was fun to watch. It's just a shame that they are that tough on a coach.

The offense is not the problem. Defense lost them that game. They should not have lost that kind of lead even with our defense finally figuring out the vear.

It would be sad day for GSU to throw out that offense.........Somethings just go together. That blue and white uniform with the number on the helmet just fits the option..........

Good luck in the future GSU and here's to another meeting soon between the 'Cats and the Eagles.
Veer has two backs
the triple has one fullback and two slots or Wings.
Spread option has same as triple but lines the TE's Wide
Follow link
http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Stadium/6076/Offense/spread/SPREAD.HTM
http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Stadium/6076/Offense/veer/VEER.HTM
GSU could easly convert to the West coast option which the new coach might install.

JohnStOnge
November 30th, 2005, 05:21 AM
I'm sure others have already noted that offensive production has not been their "problem." They're ranked 6th in total offense and 7th in scoring offense right now. They scored 38 points per game. When you lose 50-35 by a team that's in the top 10 in defense, you weren't eliminated from the playoffs because of lack of offense.

If they change their offense, any chance at all of approaching the level they'd like to approach again is gone.

Black and Gold Express
November 30th, 2005, 08:18 AM
It sure looked like "what it used to be" a bright, beautiful October day in 2004 where the Eagles entertained a large Paulson Stadium crowd with a 54 point outburst against "the greatest SoCon program of all time." I have heard about enough smack from ASU fans this year. Yeah, you dominated us. Big deal. Now you know everything there is to know about GSU's flaws and foibles, from coaching family drama to "archaic" offensive schemes.

Against a 6-5 ASU team with one of the worst defenses in recent school history. But why forget that little point, right? And the last time you won in Boone was...? 2001. And looking at the history of the ASU/GSU series, it's pretty much shown that the home team wins that game most times. So let's drop this little tidbit, shall we?

GSU racks up big numbers on average to bad opponents. That's gone unchanged over the years. But when legitimately good teams have faced the Eagles in recent years, they don't dominate those teams at all like they used to. And they're losing those games a lot more than they used to.

We all know the two key elements of the option are a smart, fast quarterback and a good fullback. The dive play is the cog that gets everything else going. You've had good option quarterbacks regulalry. But the point made about AP is a legitimate one. Austin's been pretty good, but he couldn't hold AP's jock with two extra sets of hands if he wanted to. From the offensive side, that's a huge difference.

But, as has been noted plenty, it's the defense that has has led to GSU's downfall from dominance. No matter what the offense is, until that defense stops laying down like a French soldier, GSU will never be more than a good team again. To be great, that defense needs to get back in line with what it used to be.

Kill'em
November 30th, 2005, 08:28 AM
With all due respect, I disagree. While the defense gave up 50 points, it got no help from the offense. After we hit 35 points, TXST shut our offense down. We had ZERO yards in the fourth quarter, meaning NO first downs. We dominated their defense all game until that time. You could see their defense was really tired but they sucked it up and put it to us. It also didn't help that Foster threw an interception deep in our territory on our first series in the second half which led to a quick touchdown for TXST.

As for the defense, they did pretty well against their offense in the first half. We shut down their running game, except for the damned quarterback. It was when they abandoned the running game they caught fire. Their huge offensive line dominated our small defense. They were able to pick up the blitz, which we did not hide well. They almost had several offsides penalties because the blitzers almost jumped the snap...stupid! Any good quarterback will pick this up and exploit it. TXST's offensive line also did the smart thing by letting our rushers run themselves out of the play, leaving wide open lanes for Nealy to tuck the ball and get big yardage. This also hurt the pass coverage because Nealy was mobile and rolled out of the pocket, buying time for his receivers to come open. The blitz also hurt because it took away from pass coverage, something our DB's did a poor job to start. How do you lose a 6' 7" receiver?

Kill'em
November 30th, 2005, 08:30 AM

I don't see them dropping it right away...it might just get tweaked a little.
Ask Furman about what a "decent" fullback Austin is.

Kill'em
November 30th, 2005, 08:31 AM
That's used as an excuse too often.

Kill'em
November 30th, 2005, 08:41 AM
If a new coach didn't keep the option, wouldn't he have to dump about half the GSU team?

I can't see any pro-set or west coast offense coach liking those 255 pd offensive linemen that GSU has. He would have to dump the three deep at QB. And although option receivers as an artifact of the option system have a high yardage/catch, no coach from Hofstra, EWU or New Hampshire would trade WR's with GSU.

How would the new coach have time to set up his system and recruit the players needed to run it?
Actually, our offensive line is bigger than that (261,275,283,303,272- add 281 & 287).
I do agree with your point about our team being built around the triple option. QB Jayson Foster is 5' 9", 165 and is no passer. Our slotbacks are all well below 6" and weigh around 175 pounds so they probably not make good tailbacks. They do their damage outside the tackes and would probably get killed running up the middle. Our offensive line are great run blockers, but they are NOT good pass blockers.

Kill'em
November 30th, 2005, 08:43 AM

GSU could easly convert to the West coast option which the new coach might install.
This is another issue of converting to a "conventional" offense. We don't use tight ends.

TXST_CAT
November 30th, 2005, 11:34 AM
This is another issue of converting to a "conventional" offense. We don't use tight ends.
Not all systems use TE's in their passing game and a transfers could solve that issue.
I don't think it is as imposible to convert as some may think. A new coach that wants to bring in a pass offense will probably look at bringing some height at WR and a taller QB. Your school has lots of tallent at the skill possition which works for a spread offense. Your O-line although small could get bigger with a good weight trainning coach. I think should a coach come from the DivI-A ranks he might bring some tallent with him looking for reps as transfers. There is a lot that could happen but will he be given a chance and would GSU fans accept change?

pete4256
November 30th, 2005, 12:15 PM
Against a 6-5 ASU team with one of the worst defenses in recent school history. But why forget that little point, right? And the last time you won in Boone was...? 2001. And looking at the history of the ASU/GSU series, it's pretty much shown that the home team wins that game most times. So let's drop this little tidbit, shall we?

GSU racks up big numbers on average to bad opponents. That's gone unchanged over the years. But when legitimately good teams have faced the Eagles in recent years, they don't dominate those teams at all like they used to. And they're losing those games a lot more than they used to.

We all know the two key elements of the option are a smart, fast quarterback and a good fullback. The dive play is the cog that gets everything else going. You've had good option quarterbacks regulalry. But the point made about AP is a legitimate one. Austin's been pretty good, but he couldn't hold AP's jock with two extra sets of hands if he wanted to. From the offensive side, that's a huge difference.

But, as has been noted plenty, it's the defense that has has led to GSU's downfall from dominance. No matter what the offense is, until that defense stops laying down like a French soldier, GSU will never be more than a good team again. To be great, that defense needs to get back in line with what it used to be.

Hey B&G . . . I wasn't attacking all App fans, nor trying to rub salt in the wound. I was responding to an 18-yr-old "jerk" who appeared to be gloating over yesterday's events and name-calling our offense. Go back and read what I wrote and see whom I was addressing. Surely you've noticed a lot of masturbation by App fans on this board (again, not talking about all App fans). You'll surely forgive some emotion, won't you?

And about AP . . . don't forget that we won before him and we'll win again.

If you still think I'm an ass, we'll just agree to be enemies and I'll erase I-AA Tecmo off of my work computer.

Kill'em
November 30th, 2005, 12:58 PM
Not all systems use TE's in their passing game and a transfers could solve that issue.
I don't think it is as imposible to convert as some may think. A new coach that wants to bring in a pass offense will probably look at bringing some height at WR and a taller QB. Your school has lots of tallent at the skill possition which works for a spread offense. Your O-line although small could get bigger with a good weight trainning coach. I think should a coach come from the DivI-A ranks he might bring some tallent with him looking for reps as transfers. There is a lot that could happen but will he be given a chance and would GSU fans accept change?
GSU has always been reluctant to accept transfers. It was always viewed as taking someone else's problem. They've always preferred to bring along highschool kids and groom them our way. I hope the new coaching staff keeps this viewpoint because personally, I hate transfers. It's almost like cheating to me.

Black and Gold Express
November 30th, 2005, 12:59 PM
Hey B&G . . . I wasn't attacking all App fans, nor trying to rub salt in the wound. I was responding to an 18-yr-old "jerk" who appeared to be gloating over yesterday's events and name-calling our offense. Go back and read what I wrote and see whom I was addressing. Surely you've noticed a lot of masturbation by App fans on this board (again, not talking about all App fans). You'll surely forgive some emotion, won't you?

If you still think I'm an ass, we'll just agree to be enemies and I'll erase I-AA Tecmo off of my work computer.

You don't need to defend yourself to me. I don't take it personally. We're all cool. I was just responding to smack based on half a story is all.

As for ASU people exploding on here, I will say that it's not so much different than many teams going deeper into the playoffs. We all have our fair share of obnoxious posters, nobody is innocent on that front. I seem to recall plenty of GSU posts last week commenting about how they are the team everyone should fear. This week it's died back to the usual crowd. Should ASU lose, you'll see a similar reaction probably.

I still believe my point about GSU stands. They have regressed, on both sides of the ball, from the Hill/Peterson teams that rolled through just about everyone on both sides of the ball. The last 3-4 years, they've rolled through the middle and lower tier teams (which includes ASU's 2004 unit), but the good teams weren't afraid of them, and many times beat them.

A lot of teams would love to have GSU's problem of "only" winning 7-8 games a season. And I understand and respect that expectations are different in Statesboro, but no coaching change will be successful unless that coach can recruit and bring in the difference-makers that they frankly have not had in recent years. They've had good, and some really good, players. Great players haven't been there too recently. Foster's the best chance for one in a while.

DinoDex200
November 30th, 2005, 01:26 PM
It sure looked like "what it used to be" a bright, beautiful October day in 2004 where the Eagles entertained a large Paulson Stadium crowd with a 54 point outburst against "the greatest SoCon program of all time." I have heard about enough smack from ASU fans this year. Yeah, you dominated us. Big deal. Now you know everything there is to know about GSU's flaws and foibles, from coaching family drama to "archaic" offensive schemes. I'm willing to bet that many of you are the same group of "fans" who were on AGS calling for Moore's head last year.

Chattanooga scored 59 on us...does that mean they had a better offense than you last year? No...our '04 D from a 6-5 team is not a good measuring stick. Besides, you actually put up that many points thanks to good special teams play, and a few big pass plays...of course, they were set up by the option, but that element seemed a little lost from your team this year.

And I've never called for Moore's head. I think he's a great man, and a good coach, and he proved me right this year.

DinoDex200
November 30th, 2005, 01:38 PM

Wasn't gloating, and I'm 27.

I personally think firing Sewak was a stupid move, and it makes the SoCon weaker. I was just pointing out that it's a little silly for a team that still runs the triple-option to dismiss other offenses as "cookie cutter". That offense is usually reserved for military academies and small private schools that don't have the athletes to compete...maybe you guys can bring back the Single Wing next?

It must be this type of reactionary sensitivity that got ol' Stowers and Sewak the boot...

JohnStOnge
November 30th, 2005, 02:03 PM
Wasn't gloating, and I'm 27.

I personally think firing Sewak was a stupid move, and it makes the SoCon weaker. I was just pointing out that it's a little silly for a team that still runs the triple-option to dismiss other offenses as "cookie cutter". That offense is usually reserved for military academies and small private schools that don't have the athletes to compete...maybe you guys can bring back the Single Wing next?

You hit upon something that's always baffled me. If the option allows schools with inferior athletes to move the ball, why are so many people reluctant to commit to it when they DO have athletes to compete? I mean, if you can beat people running that offense when you don't have good athletes shouldn't you do even better when you DO have more talent?

DinoDex200
November 30th, 2005, 02:06 PM
You hit upon something that's always baffled me. If the option allows schools with inferior athletes to move the ball, why are so many people reluctant to commit to it when they DO have athletes to compete? I mean, if you can beat people running that offense when you don't have good athletes shouldn't you do even better when you DO have more talent?

I was thinking while I wrote it, "Maybe that's why GSU has been so successful?" :)

Black and Gold Express
November 30th, 2005, 02:13 PM

I don't think it's good or bad athletes, but the types of athletes.

For a more traditional offense, you need more specialized skills than an option team does. The option offense really needs two things first - brains to make the reads and speed to get through the holes. I would garner the pool of potential option players is a much bigger group, especially in the skill positions.

This is the reasoning a lot of people give for the academies using it so much. With their workload being much greater than typical student athletes, they need a system that's easier to learn, and also suits their abilities as some of the most finely conditioned athletes out there, as opposed to skilled and honed football players (which is a subset of athletes in general).

November 30th, 2005, 03:47 PM
gsu should stick to the option! texas state should know....without neely would have been blow out gsu. neely is the best QB in 1AA! option is the way to go but need good defense, ask neely about nicholls state. nicholls is a great example of what the triple option can do with a good defense to back it up. martin at furman found that out against nsu last saturday. furman got lucky the fullback fell down on 4th and goal could have been a blow out early. they probaby won their way to the finals by beating nsu.

nicholls state coach would be a great choice for gsu! great defensive coach and knows how to run the triple option. nicholls is the slc champs for this year and their coach is coach of the year.
nicholls state is the best story of the year by far from what i have seen and read. picked last and came in first, two games canceled from hurricanes,third of team with no homes lost 15 days of practice and still won the league.

hey tex been reading all the hits about neely! he is the real deal, to beat gsu you have to be! gsu dont change a thing but dont be like alabama. theres was only one bear and there was only one big E! the coach has won, i think other coaches will be looking over their shoulder even when they are winning.
looking forward to some awesome games this weekend! 1AA.......whats 1A doing right now?...watching us play it out! thats what they want!

OL FU
November 30th, 2005, 04:11 PM
gsu should stick to the option! texas state should know....without neely would have been blow out gsu. neely is the best QB in 1AA! option is the way to go but need good defense, ask neely about nicholls state. nicholls is a great example of what the triple option can do with a good defense to back it up. martin at furman found that out against nsu last saturday. furman got lucky the fullback fell down on 4th and goal could have been a blow out early. they probaby won their way to the finals by beating nsu.

nicholls state coach would be a great choice for gsu! great defensive coach and knows how to run the triple option. nicholls is the slc champs for this year and their coach is coach of the year.
nicholls state is the best story of the year by far from what i have seen and read. picked last and came in first, two games canceled from hurricanes,third of team with no homes lost 15 days of practice and still won the league.

hey tex been reading all the hits about neely! he is the real deal, to beat gsu you have to be! gsu dont change a thing but dont be like alabama. theres was only one bear and there was only one big E! the coach has won, i think other coaches will be looking over their shoulder even when they are winning.
looking forward to some awesome games this weekend! 1AA.......whats 1A doing right now?...watching us play it out! thats what they want!

Knocked down? :rolleyes:

November 30th, 2005, 04:42 PM
Knocked down? :rolleyes:
if that makes you feel better. :beerchug:

Bobcat94
November 30th, 2005, 05:33 PM
Veer has two backs
the triple has one fullback and two slots or Wings.
Follow link
http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Stadium/6076/Offense/spread/SPREAD.HTM
http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Stadium/6076/Offense/veer/VEER.HTM

Just a point of clarification:

Quoted from your reference;" The base play of the Spread Option is the Inside Veer. The bread and butter of the offense, this play must be ran consistently against everything the defense has put up to stop it."

Veer is a reference to technique or philosophy, it is not necessarily to formations......The Veer is ran out of several formations.

Thanks for the help though.....

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 30th, 2005, 06:36 PM

The option has gone out of style simply because it is not popular, not because it is not working anymore. We were told twice (in '00 and again in'04) that the UGA D was a perfect example of why the option has declined in IA, only to rack up huge yards on them.

And mark my words, if Paul Johnson gets a position at Nebraska, it will be the beggining of the age of the Cornhusker...

November 30th, 2005, 06:47 PM
the option is not popular because fans want to see the ball in the air. nebraska should have taught people a lesson, if it is not broke do not fix it! gsu would be doing the same thing! players play the pass every game they know how to do that, but the triple option is not seen anymore accept by a few teams. this gives them big advantage over other teams. gsu looks to me to have the right players and a qb who can do both. get you a defensive coach for hc and keep the same offense. national champion in 2006! its there for a coach who knows defense, you do not need another offensive hc. go get an up and coming 1AA coach not an old 1A coach because he will want a 1A offense. nicholls state coach is want you need or someone like him. good luck i finding your coach. it would be a shame to see gsu change.

GSUsTALON
November 30th, 2005, 08:22 PM

Wrong - and you cant prove it. Most of you that talk about the quick defenses defeating the "triple option" have picked that up some where and repeat it like a parrot.

Now U can BROCK for me chicken man!

GSUsTALON
November 30th, 2005, 08:36 PM
The option has gone out of style simply because it is not popular, not because it is not working anymore. We were told twice (in '00 and again in'04) that the UGA D was a perfect example of why the option has declined in IA, only to rack up huge yards on them.

And mark my words, if Paul Johnson gets a position at Nebraska, it will be the beggining of the age of the Cornhusker...

I could write a book for them but they wouldnt read it and keep saying the PARTY LINE which they heard sombody say that perferd his system because
he's the best & his wifes uncle said blaw blaw blaw

GSUsTALON
November 30th, 2005, 08:39 PM
the option is not popular because fans want to see the ball in the air. nebraska should have taught people a lesson, if it is not broke do not fix it! gsu would be doing the same thing! players play the pass every game they know how to do that, but the triple option is not seen anymore accept by a few teams. this gives them big advantage over other teams. gsu looks to me to have the right players and a qb who can do both. get you a defensive coach for hc and keep the same offense. national champion in 2006! its there for a coach who knows defense, you do not need another offensive hc. go get an up and coming 1AA coach not an old 1A coach because he will want a 1A offense. nicholls state coach is want you need or someone like him. good luck i finding your coach. it would be a shame to see gsu change.

Thank God! THANK U , THANK U

FargoBison
November 30th, 2005, 09:32 PM
Wrong - and you cant prove it. Most of you that talk about the quick defenses defeating the "triple option" have picked that up some where and repeat it like a parrot.

Now U can BROCK for me chicken man!

Did you watch the Nebraska vs Miami title game in the Rose Bowl a few years ago? Like I said before the Nebraska offense was owned by a quick and talented defense. And after that the Nebraska offense was never really that effective against the better defenses of IA. I think Nebraska should fire Calahan and hire Glen Mason(MN coach) and run that kind of system. I think Nebraska could do quite well with a Denver Bronco/Minnesota type of offense. If the option is a truely unstoppable offense you would see elite IA schools or Pro Teams running it but of course they don't because they know it will fail.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 30th, 2005, 09:41 PM
Did you watch the Nebraska vs Miami title game in the Rose Bowl a few years ago? Like I said before the Nebraska offense was owned by a quick and talented defense. And after that the Nebraska offense was never really that effective against the better defenses of IA. I think Nebraska should fire Calahan and hire Glen Mason(MN coach) and run that kind of system. I think Nebraska could do quite well with a Denver Bronco/Minnesota type of offense. If the option is a truely unstoppable offense you would see elite IA schools or Pro Teams running it but of course they don't because they know it will fail.

That's one bad game. Nebraska ran over some really good teams that year..even after the loss to their rival Colorado, they still stayed number one in the BCS.

Also, I've already debunked the other point you made, but I will repeat myself. We have consistantly put up big numbers against good IA teams (the only IA teams that will play us, there is a reason we can't get games with mediocre or bad IA teams, think about it). We had close to 300 yards rushing against UGA last year. If we can rack up that kind of yardage against a top SEC school, then we can do it against any offense in division I. All this stuff about option type offenses not being effective in the big leagues is just hype that is driven by analysts who don't know what they are talking about. If we had a defense that matched up with UGA's last year, we would have beaten them. Imagine what we would do if we attracted the kind of ability that you see at the biggest IA schools. We would be a juggernaut and would tear a hole in this pass-centric culture that has sweeped the college football nation.

GSUsTALON
November 30th, 2005, 10:12 PM

HOW DID THE NEBRASKA TEAM GET TO THAT BOWL? I Know all the teams that they played defeated them and they got the bowl bid with a 0-11 record. Nebraska lost in the bowl. You have a winner and looser. Now I want you to watch all the bowls this year and all the differnt offensive systems used. You will have a winner and looser in each bowl. Are you saying that the loosers system should be scrapped because of ONE game? Take the top ten bowls, watch them & write down there offensive system. I assume that the teams in the top 10 bowls are good. Still you will have 10 loosers. Now throw out all the loosers systems. OOps there are no offensive systems left.

People have said that about GSUs offense since 1984, year after year, our speed will kill you and yet we are in the top 5 if not the number one offense in 1AA. sorry your logic doesn't hold up. Most 1AA teams that have played us no longer say that.

ps I did not mean you were a chicken I ment that for the UD chicken.