PDA

View Full Version : 2009 OFFICIAL CAA Long-Snappers Thread

jmufan999
April 21st, 2009, 11:07 AM
it's that time of year! let's talk long snappers, shall we? i know everyone is chomping at the bit, so let's dive right into it.

the top of the list is headed by Hofstra's Samuel Denton. the thing i really like about him is how he snaps the ball. he really gives it a good snap. nice spiral.

then there is Towson's Devin James. he's a real stud at the long snapper position. he was recruited as a QB but they found him so valuable as a LS that they moved him there.

third on the list would be Delaware's Stephen Peterson. i also like how he snaps the ball. nice snap. good spiral.

fourth is Villanova's RIDICULOUSLY talented LS, Jason Cutler. yes, he's Jay Cutler's brother. another former QB that moved to LS. he's crazy talented. little raw as a LS, but also has a great snap. pretty good spiral.

if you've read this far and haven't realized i'm being sarcastic, realize it now.

CrackerRiley
April 21st, 2009, 11:41 AM
Thank you for adding that last line... I was about to come in here saying something like.... Is the CAA so big that we need to take time to talk about their long snappers?!

bluehenbillk
April 21st, 2009, 11:46 AM
Love the analysis, oh the joys of the off-season. xthumbsupx

Eight Legger
April 21st, 2009, 11:48 AM
Our recently graduated TE/long snapper Joe Monteverde is likely to get a very real chance to make an NFL roster this summer.

89Hen
April 21st, 2009, 12:01 PM
third on the list would be Delaware's Stephen Peterson. i also like how he snaps the ball. nice snap. good spiral.
Yeah but he's been plagued with several thumb injuries on his snapping hand this spring and there's some doubt that he will be able to handle punt snapping duties this fall. He should be OK for FG's and PAT's. Last year he went a perfect 48 for 48 on place hold snaps including an incredible 4 for 4 in a windy, rain soaked game in Newark in October. xthumbsupx

93henfan
April 21st, 2009, 12:04 PM
Yeah but he's been plagued with several thumb injuries on his snapping hand this spring and there's some doubt that he will be able to handle punt snapping duties this fall. He should be OK for FG's and PAT's. Last year he went a perfect 48 for 48 on place hold snaps including an incredible 4 for 4 in a windy, rain soaked game in Newark in October. xthumbsupx

With Rob Schoenhoft at the helm, repetitive motion injuries become a real concern for long snappers and punters.

bluehenbillk
April 21st, 2009, 12:26 PM
With Rob Schoenhoft at the helm, repetitive motion injuries become a real concern for long snappers and punters.

Sounds like a call for an ergonomic study!!

jmufan999
April 21st, 2009, 01:41 PM
hahahha thank you guys for playing along. JESUS, there really is nothing to talk about. i know we JMU fans will have something to talk about after our spring game on saturday. even then, it will probably only interest JMU fans.

jstclmet
April 21st, 2009, 02:48 PM
it's that time of year! let's talk long snappers, shall we? i know everyone is chomping at the bit, so let's dive right into it.

the top of the list is headed by Hofstra's Samuel Denton. the thing i really like about him is how he snaps the ball. he really gives it a good snap. nice spiral.

then there is Towson's Devin James. he's a real stud at the long snapper position. he was recruited as a QB but they found him so valuable as a LS that they moved him there.

fourth is Villanova's RIDICULOUSLY talented LS, Jason Cutler. yes, he's Jay Cutler's brother. another former QB that moved to LS. he's crazy talented. little raw as a LS, but also has a great snap. pretty good spiral.
if you've read this far and haven't realized i'm being sarcastic, realize it now.

While, I know you started this off as a goof, but why not shout out the LS'ers. Will Thompson of Villanova will be entering his Sr year in the fall, and has done quite well at the LS position. He's started since 07, and has been known to pick a fight or two with the other teams NG, while giving up 100 lbs. He's a keeper.

Husky Alum
April 21st, 2009, 02:54 PM
I'd say Northeastern should have the BEST long snapper in the CAA because we punt so gosh darn often.

We didn't graduate any of the long snappers from last year's 3-Deep.

We have veteran leadership over the ball as we return seniors Ty Sibert and Zach Abrams, if need be, sophomore Mike Laperriere can ably fill in.

LBPop
April 21st, 2009, 02:56 PM
While we are all laughing, who among us wouldn't want that job in the NFL? Sure you might get whacked around a couple of times and you only get noticed when you screw up, but it's a heckuva payday for minimal work and you get to hang out with an NFL team and enjoy the perks. Where do I sign up? :D

89Hen
April 21st, 2009, 03:07 PM
While we are all laughing, who among us wouldn't want that job in the NFL? Sure you might get whacked around a couple of times and you only get noticed when you screw up, but it's a heckuva payday for minimal work and you get to hang out with an NFL team and enjoy the perks. Where do I sign up? :D
xlolx xnodx I know a long snapper who just retired from the NFL. Enjoys playing golf without having horrible knee problems.

Uncle Buck
April 21st, 2009, 03:18 PM
I was going to say, who the hell is Samuel Denton?

Let's not forget though, the ability to be a long snapper is a great way to get a look in the NFL.

Cobblestone
April 21st, 2009, 04:55 PM

They also tend to have a longer career than most NFL players.

Speaking of long-snappers, after what I witnessed at practice last Saturday I think we could use a good one. Hopefully after the spring game this Saturday I'll see some improvement in that department.

Dignan
April 22nd, 2009, 05:25 AM
Let's not forget one of the best long snappers ever to come out of the CAA: Ed Perry from JMU.

It's amazing to think that JMU wasted his talent while he was there by playing him at TE. The Dolphins later realized they had found a diamond in the rough!

Tribe4SF
April 22nd, 2009, 06:10 AM
Let's not forget one of the best long snappers ever to come out of the CAA: Ed Perry from JMU.

It's amazing to think that JMU wasted his talent while he was there by playing him at TE. The Dolphins later realized they had found a diamond in the rough!

W&M's Mike Leach enters his tenth year as a long snapper in the NFL. Two years with the Titans, seven in Denver, and this year moving to Arizona. As an All-America TE, and All-A10 punter, he provides good emergency backup skills for NFL teams.

jmufan999
April 22nd, 2009, 01:19 PM
TOTALLY right about it being a great NFL career! my bro and sis-in-law just had their first kid, a boy. my brother has been saying for years he would develop him into a LS. really is a great skill to learn. someone once told me the key to making a LOT of money:

1.) be in a profession or have a skill that is HIGHLY in demand (the NFL, a billion dollar enterprise, would more than qualify), and
2.) have a skill that very few people can do (being a huge guy, long snapping consistently, and performing well in pressure situations DEFINITELY qualifies).

93henfan
April 22nd, 2009, 07:35 PM
I'd have to say that of all the CAA schools, the girls from Delaware have the longest snappers. Actually, the "from Delaware" part is a misnomer, as most of the ones I'm thinking of were from New Jersey.