View Full Version : UNH Stadium capacity

UNI92
November 29th, 2005, 11:23 AM
What is the layout of your stadium.
How many fans do you expect on Saturday?

wildcat_fan
November 29th, 2005, 01:17 PM
I think the stated capacity of Cowell Stadium is 6,500, but it was estimated that there were between 8,000 and 10,000 in attendance for the Colgate game.

crunifan
November 29th, 2005, 01:30 PM
No offense, but I have a hard time believing that there were 4,000 people standing around that track. I would say from what I saw on TV, it would be around a 1,000.

wildcat_fan
November 29th, 2005, 01:33 PM
I wasn't there, but I understand that they added end zone seating for the game, which doesn't count toward the stated capacity figure.

Tribe4SF
November 29th, 2005, 01:42 PM
Announced attendance was 7,806, which is pretty damn good for a first round game. Especially considering the weather. Outdrew Northern Iowa by 60 people. UNH fans have really stepped up this year.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 29th, 2005, 02:02 PM
Capacity at Cowell is 6,500 with the vast majority of the seats on the field house (north) side of the field. The ends of these seats and the entire visitor's side, I believe, are general admission/free for all seats. Highly doubt anybody was ensuring only one body per numbered seat. I'm guessing some extras were squeezed into these sections.

Yes, there were some bleachers added to both end zones. People were also standing at the end of these bleachers. There is also significant SRO space at the top of the home side where people were probably at least three deep. And in addition to the people you see by the fence "on the corners", there are also people in front of both stands, on a small hill near a parking lot, on a staircase inside Lundholm Gym looking out the window, etc.

This Saturday with students back from Thanksgiving and no live television, at a minimum I expect a crowd like the past two Saturdays. All seats will be taken and the only question is how many standees there are.

Granite
November 29th, 2005, 02:14 PM
This Saturday with students back from Thanksgiving and no live television, at a minimum I expect a crowd like the past two Saturdays. All seats will be taken and the only question is how many standees there are.

I was at the box office today to pick up my tickets, and the ticket office rep told me that sales were outpacing last week's game. All seats are sold in sections B, C, and D, I believe, and there were only a few left in sections A and E. It looks like most of what's yet to be sold will be students, General Admission and SRO. My guess is that we'll eclipse the Maine game (8600+).

Regardless of what people think they saw on TV, those of us that were there on Saturday will tell you that the turnout was certainly higher than the 7800+ announced. I've gone to just about every game at Cowell Stadium since 2001, and Saturday's was by far the biggest crowd I've seen in that time frame.

I expect that this Saturday will be a good game - I have no idea what the final score will be, and I'm not making bold predictions about a UNH blowout or anything like that. But I'm confident that our guys will play as they've played all year at home, and it will be up to UNI to bring their best game if they want to beat us.

wildcat_fan
November 29th, 2005, 02:21 PM
Hey Granite and UNH Alum, if UNH wins on Saturday, what are the chances that I will be able to get a ticket to the Dec. 10th game if I buy them online? I conveniently scheduled a business trip to NH/ME that week and really want to go to the game.

Granite
November 29th, 2005, 02:29 PM
Hey Granite and UNH Alum, if UNH wins on Saturday, what are the chances that I will be able to get a ticket to the Dec. 10th game if I buy them online? I conveniently scheduled a business trip to NH/ME that week and really want to go to the game.

My guess is that you'd be able to get a ticket, especially if you got on-line as soon as they announced they were on sale. It might be a General Admission or SRO ticket, but you'd at least get into the game. I was surprised at how fast tickets have moved for the quarterfinal, as there really were few choices left for reserved seats (not an issue for me, as I have season tickets, but a friend of mine was trying to get some and the choices were slim).

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 29th, 2005, 03:01 PM

Like Granite said, go online 10:00 AM Monday and you'll get a ticket. Probably even a reserved seat. If you get a GA ticket, the challenge will be on game day if you want to be in the stands. The early birds will get those seats. I was in the stands before 11 last Saturday to guarantee first row standing at the 25 yard line above the home stands. Remember IF we play in the semi-finals, the game might be Friday night.

PantherRob82
November 29th, 2005, 03:06 PM
I'm hoping to see your stadium in person saturday, should be a good game.

FlyYtown
November 29th, 2005, 03:15 PM
That stadium is a joke I'm sorry. I live in Youngstown, Ohio and our high schools have bigger stadiums. The one is 10,000 near my house; WGHarding in Warren, OH is 14,000 and this is the crown jewel of NE Ohio Football Pride in Stuebenville seating just above 10,000.. This is at a middle school game but on Saturday night they packed 12,000 into this place for a high school game!

http://community-2.webtv.net/jcparks/BIGREDFOOTBALLMANO0/scrapbookFiles/mailedD43.jpg

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 29th, 2005, 04:27 PM
Things are just different in New England. I don't think any HS in NH has a football stadium larger than Cowell. Shoot, most NH High Schools are too small to even field a football team. I know CT doesn't have any HS football stadiums larger than UConn's Memorial Field (their former I-AA digs in Storrs). Don't think Mass has any HS fields larger than McGuirk, ME larger than Alfond and not sure about RI. Even the I-A stadiums at UConn and BC are small by national standards!

Cowell used to be 15K, long story I've told many times already. It's history!

Some day I've got to do the research and compile population statistics treating New England as one state for comparison to other states. For example, Iowa and New England both have two I-A programs. Then need to compare how many I-AA, II and III programs exist in both areas. I've always maintained that New England has a proportionally higher amount of these programs which just spreads the fans out even more. At least here in New England we don't have to worry about people being fans of the I-A programs "just because" they're I-A and flagship insititutions. Any self-respecting UNH fan wouldn't root for the Chesnut Hill Beagles just because they have a I-A team!

Marcus Garvey
November 29th, 2005, 04:57 PM
Things are just different in New England.

That about sums it up. Nobody who's lived in NH would scoff at their stadium with much contempt. Yes, we can all agree that it's a very below-average facility, but the football "infrastructure" (for lack of a better word) is missing in New England to justify large expenditures on football at the land-grant schools. Football at the high school level is not that big in Northern New England (NH, VT and ME) when compared to Mass. or Conn., which is in turn is not that big on football when compared to Jersey or Eastern PA. Weastern PA, Ohio, Florida and Texas are not even comparable to New England.

It's tough to justify building a state-of-the art 15,000+ stadium in a region where the sport doesn't enjoy widespread popularity on the collegiate or high school level. There's a reason Vermont dropped their program 30 years ago and has no intentions of starting it again. There are only 4 colleges playing football in NH: UNH, Dartmouth, St. Anselm (DII) and Plymouth St. (DIII). Vermont has only 2 colleges: Norwich and Middlebury, both DIII.

The dearth of programs reflects the relatively low amount of football talent comming out of high school.

UNI_UVM_YES
November 29th, 2005, 05:15 PM
I didn't have any trouble getting tickets on Monday. I'm making the trip down from Vermont Saturday to check out the game. I from Vermont originally but I went to UNI. I actually toured UNH when I was looking at colleges. I checked out the stadium at UNH and I thought it was pretty big until I toured UNIs xlolx . I ended up running on the track team instead of playing football (UNI has a great track under the turf) but that is a diffferent story all together.
Anyways, New England football in general doesn't have a huge following like it does in other parts of the country. There area alot of D-III schools to but no more than there area in Iowa (and probably less). I believe a lot of it has to do with the usually awful weather that limits the length of the highschool seasons. I know that in northern Vermont we were playing on frozen tundra by mid october and playing in 8 inches of snow was not uncommon. This short season limits the pool of national caliber football players that can be developed here (David Ball is an exception) as well as limiting the recruiting that Universities in this area can do (let's face it most top college recruits come out of southern areas and most likely aren't going to want to move to Northern New England). By playoff time most northern New Englanders are more interested in skiing and Hockey. Question: How many people show up for a UNH vs. U-Maine hockey game? :eyebrow:

newsbreaker
November 29th, 2005, 05:50 PM
That stadium is a joke I'm sorry. I live in Youngstown, Ohio and our high schools have bigger stadiums. The one is 10,000 near my house; WGHarding in Warren, OH is 14,000 and this is the crown jewel of NE Ohio Football Pride in Stuebenville seating just above 10,000.. This is at a middle school game but on Saturday night they packed 12,000 into this place for a high school game!

http://community-2.webtv.net/jcparks/BIGREDFOOTBALLMANO0/scrapbookFiles/mailedD43.jpg

It's interesting how things are different in different areas. Iowa is by no means a HS football mecca, but I can think of at least 3 stadiums that HS teams play in that are larger then the one UNI will be playing in on saturday. West Des Moines Valley plays in a multi-million dollar stadium that holds close to 10,000, Cedar Falls High plays in the UNI-Dome, and 3 teams in Cedar Rapids Iowa share a stadium that, in it's prime, held closer to 20,000 in a horseshoe configuration.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 29th, 2005, 05:51 PM
That about sums it up. Nobody who's lived in NH would scoff at their stadium with much contempt. Yes, we can all agree that it's a very below-average facility, but the football "infrastructure" (for lack of a better word) is missing in New England to justify large expenditures on football at the land-grant schools. Football at the high school level is not that big in Northern New England (NH, VT and ME) when compared to Mass. or Conn., which is in turn is not that big on football when compared to Jersey or Eastern PA. Weastern PA, Ohio, Florida and Texas are not even comparable to New England.

It's tough to justify building a state-of-the art 15,000+ stadium in a region where the sport doesn't enjoy widespread popularity on the collegiate or high school level. There's a reason Vermont dropped their program 30 years ago and has no intentions of starting it again. There are only 4 colleges playing football in NH: UNH, Dartmouth, St. Anselm (DII) and Plymouth St. (DIII). Vermont has only 2 colleges: Norwich and Middlebury, both DIII.

The dearth of programs reflects the relatively low amount of football talent comming out of high school.

Which is why the nortoriously parsimonious NH State Legislature has only pledged $3 million to the enhancement project so far. Until significant interest was demonstrated, there wouldn't be additional state funding. This is why the over capacity attendance this year has been so important -- and will be next year too! And why support during the playoffs despite holidays, TV and the weather is important. So far Wildcat Nation has come through!

Still, I have no illusions of grandeur. JMHO, but we won't be seeing any 15K+ stadium in Durham once this enhancement is completed. I'm hoping it will be 15K with room for SRO for more, but won't be surprised if it's 10-12K with the same SRO potential. The support demonstrated so far during these playoffs might push things toward the 15K. The enhancements at Alfond up in Orono as well as the reality of the A-10 schools outside New England have forced many in NH to re-examine the facilities at UNH.

One thing that is ironic about New England football Marcus, is the fervor of the Thanksgiving Day game. Any large HS stadiums exist due to the Turkey Day rivalry games with the across town or next town over HS. My brother-in-law is from OK and he was shocked when he came to CT and saw these games existed! As I travelled in FL, GA, SC, NC, VA, etc. this Fall, I realized how many states were into playoffs well before Thanksgiving. CT Playoffs start tonight. My uncle in Mass. could recite facts about the Thanksgiving Newburyport-Amesbury games back to the 30's! He never missed a game from his HS days on. Schools kept these rivalry games alive even when one town grew significantly larger -- tradition wouldn't allow them to admit the other town was too big for them to compete against! Some of these games go back to the 1890s for gawd sakes!

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 29th, 2005, 06:01 PM
Question: How many people show up for a UNH vs. U-Maine hockey game? :eyebrow:

If it is at the on campus facility (Whittemore Center), then it will be 6,501 which is the capacity. Most hockey games will be sold out, but the Maine game will ramp the atmosphere up a few notches!!! Occaisonally, the game is at Manchester's Verizon Center which will draw almost 10K (capacity). When they've met in the Hockey East Championship in Boston, then the capacity of almost 18K was reached.

No doubt NH is a hockey state, but this year interest has not wavered for football!

mainejeff
November 29th, 2005, 06:05 PM

That's nice, but your team is sitting at home and UNH is in the Q-Finals.

When is Younstown joining the MAC? :rolleyes:

Marcus Garvey
November 29th, 2005, 06:15 PM
One thing that is ironic about New England football Marcus, is the fervor of the Thanksgiving Day game. Any large HS stadiums exist due to the Turkey Day rivalry games with the across town or next town over HS. My brother-in-law is from OK and he was shocked when he came to CT and saw these games existed! As I travelled in FL, GA, SC, NC, VA, etc. this Fall, I realized how many states were into playoffs well before Thanksgiving. CT Playoffs start tonight. My uncle in Mass. could recite facts about the Thanksgiving Newburyport-Amesbury games back to the 30's! He never missed a game from his HS days on. Schools kept these rivalry games alive even when one town grew significantly larger -- tradition wouldn't allow them to admit the other town was too big for them to compete against! Some of these games go back to the 1890s for gawd sakes!

In Eastern/Southeastern PA where I grew up, Thanksgiving football was a big deal for decades. There were no high school playoffs. Instead, you played your 9 or 10 games, then you played your arch-rival on Turkey Day. After the game, you went home and bragged about your season. Beginning in the 60's, the Turkey Day tradition began to cool off for numerous reasons:
-Smaller high schools disapeared with district mergers, often two rival high schools' districts merged together.
-New high schools opened up in growing districts, creating new rivaliries and diminishing existing ones
-Districts grew at different rates, and some schools stayed small, while others grew large. The rivalries ended as a result (Think of the high school equivalent of the Holy Cross/Boston College football game ending).
- and so on and so forth...

In the late 80's, the Western PA schools put pressure on the PIAA to first form a playoff, then expand it. This made Thanksgiving games difficult. Frankford High in Philly lost to their rival North Catholic on Thanksgiving, then had to play 2 nights later in states. They got a$$-hammered on Sat. night BTW.

Currently, there are only a few left in the Lehigh Valley region. Closer to Philly, and in the city, there are still a fair number of games played on Thanksgiving, but not as many as 30 years ago.

When I lived in Nashua, I was surprised when I read the high school schedules for Eastern Mass. in the Globe. You could count the number of high schools NOT playing on Thanksgiving on one hand. It made me wonder if all those games were in fact rivalries, or playing on Thanksgiving had become such a tradition, that teams scheduled that day with anyone they could find.

UNI_UVM_YES
November 29th, 2005, 06:24 PM

Oh yes, the Turkey Day games. These are very popular in southern New England. I have watched one in MA. My high school in Vermont has been playing against the high school in the neighboring town for somewhere around 110 years. The game draws a crowd of about 5-6,000 people which isn't too bad considering the population of the entire area is about 15,000 people. In Northern Vermont we play our game during late October (before playoff) due to the weather. If we would have been playing on Thanksgiving day this year the game would have taken place in a foot of snow and temps in the 'teens.

I hope UNH and Maine's football programs really start to take off. New England needs a better football reputation. I think there are a lot of athletes in New England that could very well play on Division 1 teams with a year or so of grooming at that level. I think UNH is showing that there are some New England boys that can play. :hurray:

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 29th, 2005, 09:26 PM
Marcus, those dynamics you described haven't been as prevalent in New England so the core rivalries have remained intact. And for the most part, the games are true rivalries, but there are examples of schools that have started games just because of the tradition. In most cases though they begin series with opponents that fit the same rivalry mold. In many cases new suburban schools have started rivalry games with the neighboring town which is also a new HS. There are some unlikely pairings as well because virtually everybody plays Thanksgiving and the schedules have to stay balanced.

And if you thought there was snow Saturday at the Colgate-UNH game, that was nothing compared to all the HS games played Thanksgiving. I'm watching all the highlights on New England Cable News (NECN) and every game was on a snow covered field!

UNH_ORACLE
November 29th, 2005, 10:27 PM
I know that in northern Vermont we were playing on frozen tundra by mid october and playing in 8 inches of snow was not uncommon. This short season limits the pool of national caliber football players that can be developed here (David Ball is an exception) as well as limiting the recruiting that Universities in this area can do (let's face it most top college recruits come out of southern areas and most likely aren't going to want to move to Northern New England). By playoff time most northern New Englanders are more interested in skiing and Hockey. Question: How many people show up for a UNH vs. U-Maine hockey game? :eyebrow:

First off, David Ball is not an exception, he is one of many very good players to come out of Vermont in the last 5-6 years, To name a few, Jake Eaton, George Peterson, Nate Long, Tucker Peterson, Ben Gilbert, Muji and Husain Karim, all these guys are good players. It isnt just David Ball, while yes David is beyond these guys he is an amazing athlete and would be an amazing athlete no matter what state he came from. There are good athletes in Vermont and they are just overlooked because of this stereotype that you portray. The fact is Vermont does not have a major college football program and this is a disgrace. If it did have a college program it would get a lot of good football players from Vermont and would also receive a lot of recruits from upstate NY and Quebec.

Also, I have never seen a football game played in Vermont in 8 inches of snow, so I would have to say that is very uncommon...

Marcus Garvey
November 29th, 2005, 11:30 PM
The fact is Vermont does not have a major college football program and this is a disgrace. If it did have a college program it would get a lot of good football players from Vermont and would also receive a lot of recruits from upstate NY and Quebec.

You're kidding, right? The only thing disgraceful were they teams the fielded prior to 1974. They had their shot at these recruits from Quebec and Upstate NY years ago, and still sucked. I highly doubt the quality of players from those regions has improved drastically.

Nah, there's nothing disgraceful in UVM's decision to NOT field a football team. They only have about 7600 undergrads, making them one of the smallest land-grant colleges too. Football is not a priority in Vermont, and the lack of a team at UVM reflects that too. And you know something else? There's ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with that!

wildcat_fan
November 30th, 2005, 06:47 AM
If it is at the on campus facility (Whittemore Center), then it will be 6,501 which is the capacity. Most hockey games will be sold out, but the Maine game will ramp the atmosphere up a few notches!!! Occaisonally, the game is at Manchester's Verizon Center which will draw almost 10K (capacity). When they've met in the Hockey East Championship in Boston, then the capacity of almost 18K was reached.

No doubt NH is a hockey state, but this year interest has not wavered for football!

When I was a student at UNH in the early 80s, I went to every home football game, but I went to only one hockey game the entire four years I was there. I think it has something to do with the fact that I was always dragged to my brother's youth hockey league games :smiley_wi

UNHWildCats
November 30th, 2005, 06:57 AM
In Manchester, New Hampshire, the states largest city (110,000). They play a Thanksgiving game every year at 10AM at historic Gill Stadium (Babe Ruth once hit a homerun there, and Roy Campanella and Jackie Robinson played there for a season while in the Dodgers farm system) The game features 2 of the cities four teams, 3 public schools (Memorial, Central and West) and a private school (Trinity).

During the season all four schools play each other as members of the states top football classification. The top two teams determined from the head to head action then play on Thanksgiving.

This year West won for the first time in some years in the final game coached by Central's Steve Shubert.

wildcat_fan
November 30th, 2005, 07:00 AM
This year West won for the first time in some years in the final game coached by Central's Steve Shubert.

And as a Central grad, I must say that I was more than a bit disappointed by that result :mad:

UNHWildCats
November 30th, 2005, 07:04 AM
And as a Central grad, I must say that I was more than a bit disappointed by that result :mad:

yea it was a rather dissapointing season by Central.

As a Grad of Memorial immore then used to dissapointment in football and basketball (once made sportscenters "DID YOU KNOW' for having the longest high school basketball losing streak in the USA ever. but hey we have hockey LOL

UNI_UVM_YES
November 30th, 2005, 08:12 AM
This short season limits the pool of national caliber football players that can be developed here (David Ball is an exception) as well as limiting the recruiting that Universities in this area can do

Instead of saying "recruiting that Universities in this area can do". I should have said "recruiting that Universities are WILLING to do in this area". I completely agree that there are a lot of quality athletes in Vermont and the rest of New England that are completely overlooked due the stereotype that I'm POINTING OUT and not endorsing :nono: . Trust me I know from personal experience. My sister played hockey since she was 5 all the way through highschool (she started for the mens varsity team). She had played in Lake Placid as part of the Junior Olympic program. She was arguably the best female athlete to come out of Vermont in the last 5 years (MVP in BOTH hockey Make-A-Wish and the Softball Twin State game. The double MVP had not been done before or since). However, when it came time for colleges to come knocking on her door... there was NOTHING. A few D-III schools showed some minor interest but I feel that the prevailing notion among major universities was that "There are no athletes in Northern Vermont that are going to amount to anything". She got totally screwed.
In the case of football, I feel that the top players coming out of Vermont often need an extra year of development at the collegiate level to hone their athletic abilities to bring them to the next level of competition. Again, I have learned this through personal experience. I went to UNI with the idea that I wanted to play Football or run Track. I ended up walking onto the Track team. When the coaches saw me in the first season they told me flat out that I would never compete in the conference meet and that I would probably never travel with the team outside of Iowa (they said I was too slow and not strong enough). Well after a year of training I went to the conference meet (very competitive conference) and scored points throwing the Javelin. By my senior year I was competing in and scoring points in the conference meet in the decathelon as well. The Head Track Coach at UNI is originally from MA and went to Norwich. I think this is the only reason I even got a shot at being on the team. All it takes is a little patience with developing athletes nad the rewards can be great.
Back to the issue at hand. I do feel that Vermont athletes get a raw deal when it come to colleges recruiting them :bang: . I even see this at UVM which all to often looks out of the state first before looking at what they have locally. However, it looks like it MAY BE starting to turn a corner and recruit more players out of Vermont as some athletes have finally started going out of state and making a name for themselves.
Just my rant for the day. :smiley_wi

Granite
November 30th, 2005, 08:22 AM
When I was a student at UNH in the early 80s, I went to every home football game, but I went to only one hockey game the entire four years I was there. I think it has something to do with the fact that I was always dragged to my brother's youth hockey league games :smiley_wi

Sounds like me - I definitely have a rooting interest in the hockey team, and usually go to about 5 or 6 games a year, but I go to every football game and most men's and women's basketball games (yeah, at least on the men's side, I'm kind of a masochist - but there's hope with Bill Herrion at the helm!) I'm much more of a football and basketball guy. And if UNH still had the baseball team, I'd be out freezing my butt off watching them play too! :)

UNH_ORACLE
November 30th, 2005, 12:08 PM
You're kidding, right? The only thing disgraceful were they teams the fielded prior to 1974. They had their shot at these recruits from Quebec and Upstate NY years ago, and still sucked. I highly doubt the quality of players from those regions has improved drastically.

Nah, there's nothing disgraceful in UVM's decision to NOT field a football team. They only have about 7600 undergrads, making them one of the smallest land-grant colleges too. Football is not a priority in Vermont, and the lack of a team at UVM reflects that too. And you know something else? There's ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with that!

First of all, you cant compare football in 2005 to football in 1974, two greatly different things. And it is a disgrace that they dont have a football team, Middlebury has a team as does Norwich. UVM can support a football team, Burlington is a perfect city for football, much better then Durham. Fans come out in droves for Womens Basketball, Mens Basketball and Hockey and they are diehard fans. I doubt there were many good football players from Quebec in the 50's, 60's, or early 70's, so they never really had a chance to recruit these players... Recruiting since that time has evovled immensly, players dont just come from the University's region they come from all over the country and UVM could easily find a coach who could recruit players to come to Burlington, it's fun place to be and a great place to live. The University is starting to evovle in itself as well. Enrollment is up in freshmen and sophmore classes and the new President Dan Fogel is looking to get UVM's enrollment above 10,000. I would not be surprised if UVM one day fields a football team again. As for it being a disgrace, it is, ask anyone involved with Vermont Athletics and they will agree, so don't sit here and tell me what is and is not disgraceful when you have no idea what you're talking about... thank you and goodnight

Marcus Garvey
November 30th, 2005, 12:22 PM
First of all, you cant compare football in 2005 to football in 1974, two greatly different things. And it is a disgrace that they dont have a football team, Middlebury has a team as does Norwich. UVM can support a football team, Burlington is a perfect city for football, much better then Durham. Fans come out in droves for Womens Basketball, Mens Basketball and Hockey and they are diehard fans. I doubt there were many good football players from Quebec in the 50's, 60's, or early 70's, so they never really had a chance to recruit these players... Recruiting since that time has evovled immensly, players dont just come from the University's region they come from all over the country and UVM could easily find a coach who could recruit players to come to Burlington, it's fun place to be and a great place to live. The University is starting to evovle in itself as well. Enrollment is up in freshmen and sophmore classes and the new President Dan Fogel is looking to get UVM's enrollment above 10,000. I would not be surprised if UVM one day fields a football team again. As for it being a disgrace, it is, ask anyone involved with Vermont Athletics and they will agree, so don't sit here and tell me what is and is not disgraceful when you have no idea what you're talking about... thank you and goodnight

Meow.... Shall we take this to the smack board? ;)
Who are your contacts with UVM athletics BTW.
I would be very surprised if they started it. Sure you can recruit from larger region than Upstate NY (who's high school footbal is not that great, IMHO), but who's going to pay for it? Listen, there's no need to get personal over these points. I'm playing devils advocate here, and your use of the word "disgrace" seemed hyperbolic at the least. As for me "not knowing what I'm talking about", whatever, that's your opinion. Incindently, I think using Middlebury and Norwich as a comparison to UVM's football potential is erroneous. If you're using those schools as criteria, then you may as well use Hamilton College and Hartwich as criteria for starting a football progam at SUNY-Binghmamton.

Too many people on this board take football at college way too seriously. Sometimes a football program is not a good fit at a college.

UNH_ORACLE
November 30th, 2005, 12:38 PM
Meow.... Shall we take this to the smack board? ;)
Who are your contacts with UVM athletics BTW.
I would be very surprised if they started it. Sure you can recruit from larger region than Upstate NY (who's high school footbal is not that great, IMHO), but who's going to pay for it? Listen, there's no need to get personal over these points. I'm playing devils advocate here, and your use of the word "disgrace" seemed hyperbolic at the least. As for me "not knowing what I'm talking about", whatever, that's your opinion. Incindently, I think using Middlebury and Norwich as a comparison to UVM's football potential is erroneous. If you're using those schools as criteria, then you may as well use Hamilton College and Hartwich as criteria for starting a football progam at SUNY-Binghmamton.

Too many people on this board take football at college way too seriously. Sometimes a football program is not a good fit at a college.

how is it not a fit at UVM??

wildcat_fan
November 30th, 2005, 12:40 PM

It sounds like a justification to me.

UNH_ORACLE
November 30th, 2005, 12:42 PM
[QUOTE=UNI_UVM_YES
She was arguably the best female athlete to come out of Vermont in the last 5 years (MVP in BOTH hockey Make-A-Wish and the Softball Twin State game. The double MVP had not been done before or since). However, when it came time for colleges to come knocking on her door... there was NOTHING. [/QUOTE]

Better then Corey Rusin? come on there's no argument here, shes a Big East athlete, however the double MVP is impressive...

UNH_ORACLE
November 30th, 2005, 12:43 PM
It sounds like a justification to me.

i know right

Lehigh Football Nation
November 30th, 2005, 12:46 PM
Cowell may be small, but IMVHO on ESPN2 the crowds looked very good on TV. The stands were packed, and the fans were definitely into the game. It's too bad the game was basically over by halftime.

Yeah, Cowell should probably be at least a bit bigger. It should definitely be expanded to hold at least 10,000 like it used to. But I want to emphasize that it still looked great on TV.

Marcus Garvey
November 30th, 2005, 12:54 PM

Actually, that statement was made in respect to the way some posters get all bent out of shape over a school dropping football. I was thinking of Canisius, Sienna and St. John's (NY) in particular. I didn't mean that to apply to UVM in particular, but i see how it can be construed that way.

But, I find your claims of support for football at UVM dubious at best. Help me out and show me where there is a clammoring for football. My issue with your original post was how you used the word "disgrace." No football at UVM is a "bummer," but not disgraceful. I would reserve the word "disgrace" for things that actually are, such as a 50% Freshman retention rate and other academic issues.

UNH_ORACLE
November 30th, 2005, 01:03 PM
Actually, that statement was made in respect to the way some posters get all bent out of shape over a school dropping football. I was thinking of Canisius, Sienna and St. John's (NY) in particular. I didn't mean that to apply to UVM in particular, but i see how it can be construed that way.

But, I find your claims of support for football at UVM dubious at best. Help me out and show me where there is a clammoring for football. My issue with your original post was how you used the word "disgrace." No football at UVM is a "bummer," but not disgraceful. I would reserve the word "disgrace" for things that actually are, such as a 50% Freshman retention rate and other academic issues.

This is not an academic thread this a football thread is it not?? Is it not a message board about college football? or college academics? I'm posting about college football and it's a disgrace to Vermont Football that it's only state U does not have a football team if you are not involved in Vermont football then I can see how you could say it's a bummer, but I'm sorry to me it's a disgrace...I think you're from CT, I may be wrong I thought I saw that somewhere but would you not think its a disgrace to CT football if UCONN did not have a football team? There are only TWO states in the Nation where their state U doesnt have a football team, the other being--ALASKA, shocker right??

Granite
November 30th, 2005, 01:11 PM
I'm posting about college football and it's a disgrace to Vermont Football that it's only state U does not have a football team if you are not involved in Vermont football then I can see how you could say it's a bummer, but I'm sorry to me it's a disgrace...I think you're from CT, I may be wrong I thought I saw that somewhere but would you not think its a disgrace to CT football if UCONN did not have a football team?

Dude, Marcus has been posting on this and other I-AA boards for a long time and is certainly entitled to have an opinion on whether it makes sense for a school like Vermont to play football. Its an interesting discussion, but you're coming at this with a bit of an edge, don't you think?

UNI_UVM_YES
November 30th, 2005, 01:13 PM
Better then Corey Rusin? come on there's no argument here, shes a Big East athlete

If you are saying that Corey Rusin is a better athlete than my sister based on the mere fact that she is playing at a Big East School, you are just supporting my argument. My sister should have been a Big East Athlete but no one recruited her! :nonono2: :nonono2: She ended up settling for UVM which was just starting their women's hockey program. She really didn't want to go there. She was by far the best player they had that year (she dropped out for a cheaper school the next year because of no athletic scholarship $$ and some other extenuating circumstances that I won't get into here). I watched when UVM played BC that year at BC. My sister had all four shots on goal for UVM. The rest of the Vermont team could barely keep up. My sister could have been easily been playing on the first line of the BC squad.

BTW...Corey Rusin is from FAR southern Vermont (might as well be MA) and is actually a New York native. BC didn't have to travel out of their way to go check her out. Although I am happy she is doing well.

UNH_ORACLE
November 30th, 2005, 01:15 PM
Dude, Marcus has been posting on this and other I-AA boards for a long time and is certainly entitled to have an opinion on whether it makes sense for a school like Vermont to play football. Its an interesting discussion, but you're coming at this with a bit of an edge, don't you think?

ya i am I'm glad you noticed...whats wrong with having an edge??

UNH_ORACLE
November 30th, 2005, 01:21 PM
If you are saying that Corey Rusin is a better athlete than my sister based on the mere fact that she is playing at a Big East School, you are just supporting my argument. My sister should have been a Big East Athlete but no one recruited her! :nonono2: :nonono2: She ended up settling for UVM which was just starting their women's hockey program. She really didn't want to go there. She was by far the best player they had that year (she dropped out for a cheaper school the next year because of no athletic scholarship $$ and some other extenuating circumstances that I won't get into here). I watched when UVM played BC that year at BC. My sister had all four shots on goal for UVM. The rest of the Vermont team could barely keep up. My sister could have been easily been playing on the first line of the BC squad.

BTW...Corey Rusin is from FAR southern Vermont (might as well be MA) and is actually a New York native. BC didn't have to travel out of their way to go check her out. Although I am happy she is doing well.

ok what about Jenn Butsch or however you spell it, that played for PC or Caitlin Malbouef from Fairfield, a mere 10 minutes from Canada who plays for Providence right now?? It sounds like your sister should have gone and walked on at a Hockey East school...Corey Rusin played high school bball in VT man she's from Vermont it doesnt matter what part of Vermont she lived in...

UNI_UVM_YES
November 30th, 2005, 02:20 PM
My sister played with Jenn Butch (you did spell it right) on various all star teams (Jenn Butch scored a lot of goals that my sister assisted on). Jenn had some other connections that allowed her to attract Providence to take a look at her. She wasn't aggressively recruited and if I remember correctly walked onto the Providence team. She ended up being one one of their best players and eventually received a scholarship. Caitlin Malbouef playing at Providence is likely a result of the success Providence had with Butch. Their coaching staff was now paying attention to Vermont and willing to go after a vermont player.
In hindsite my sister probably should have gone to a Hockey East school and tried to walk onto a team. However, that is a BIG gamble financially :twocents: if a scholarship doesn't soon come along.

UNI_UVM_YES
November 30th, 2005, 02:22 PM
it doesnt matter what part of Vermont she lived in...

As long as you're not from the Kingdom...

UNI_UVM_YES
November 30th, 2005, 02:58 PM
As long as you're not from the Kingdom...

If you know Vermont you know what I'm talking about. :bang:

UNH_ORACLE
November 30th, 2005, 03:07 PM
If you know Vermont you know what I'm talking about. :bang:

Isnt that the part of Vermont where the men are men the women are scarce and the sheep are scared???

UNI_UVM_YES
November 30th, 2005, 03:10 PM
:smiley_wi xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Marcus Garvey
November 30th, 2005, 03:25 PM
ya i am I'm glad you noticed...whats wrong with having an edge??

When the "edge" clouds reason and a logical discussion is untenable, then the "edge" is a problem.

If you want to spout rhetoric, we have a "I-AA Smack" board for that.

Welcome to the board and happy posting hoss!

UNI_UVM_YES
November 30th, 2005, 03:38 PM
For Marcus! :hurray:

Marcus Garvey
November 30th, 2005, 04:10 PM
For Marcus! :hurray:

Is that a Ford? Never been big on them. ;)

UNI_UVM_YES
November 30th, 2005, 04:14 PM
'95 Mazda B3000. Really just a Ranger in disguise :eyebrow:

Marcus Garvey
November 30th, 2005, 04:17 PM
'95 Mazda B3000. Really just a Ranger in disguise :eyebrow:

Ahh... hence my confusion. I had owned nothing but GM's until 2 1/2 years ago when I bought a used Camry. I've since bought the Tacoma you seen in my avatar. I still like GM's though. I wanted a small 4x4 pickup truck, and to me, only the Tacoma's were worth buying. I'd considered getting a Silverado before deciding to stay small.

UNI_UVM_YES
November 30th, 2005, 04:17 PM
Off roading friend drives a "yota though. He's a UNH alum. We'll be at the game this weekend.

UNH_ORACLE
November 30th, 2005, 06:28 PM
When the "edge" clouds reason and a logical discussion is untenable, then the "edge" is a problem.

If you want to spout rhetoric, we have a "I-AA Smack" board for that.

Welcome to the board and happy posting hoss!

well marcus i am having a logical discussion but you obviously were not enjoying the discussion. You never even answered my question :bawling:

Marcus Garvey
November 30th, 2005, 06:38 PM
well marcus i am having a logical discussion but you obviously were not enjoying the discussion. You never even answered my question :bawling:

Ummm... .no. You're not being logical. You make absolute statements with no backing argument other than some vague references. Regarding football "not being a fit" at UVM? I did answer. I didn't make that statement with respect to UVM. Therefore, your question does not warrant answering. That's like ordering the pasta off the menu, then being asked by the waiter how your steak should be cooked. Re-read a few posts back and you'll see my response:
Post 38 (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showpost.php?p=114508&postcount=38)

But since you brought up the topic of "unanswered questions:" How about one of mine? Who are your contacts within UVM Athletics?

UNH_ORACLE
November 30th, 2005, 06:59 PM
This is not an academic thread this a football thread is it not?? Is it not a message board about college football? or college academics? I'm posting about college football and it's a disgrace to Vermont Football that it's only state U does not have a football team if you are not involved in Vermont football then I can see how you could say it's a bummer, but I'm sorry to me it's a disgrace...I think you're from CT, I may be wrong I thought I saw that somewhere but would you not think its a disgrace to CT football if UCONN did not have a football team? There are only TWO states in the Nation where their state U doesnt have a football team, the other being--ALASKA, shocker right??

Hey Marcus my question lies in this post, maybe you can find it... I didnt answer your question because I never said I had contacts in UVM athletics, I said ask anyone involved with Vermont Athletics, Vermont being the state, not the school...

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 1st, 2005, 12:01 AM
Isnt that the part of Vermont where the men are men the women are scarce and the sheep are scared???

Now I expected the sheep reference to surface, but frankly I thought it would be on the Cap'n Cat's coming to NH thread!! xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx