PDA

View Full Version : Maryland QB to transfer

89Hen
November 29th, 2005, 10:59 AM
Announced today that Joel Statham, former starting QB at Maryland, will be leaving the team and looking to transfer to a I-AA for his final year of eligibility. No word on where he will go, but may try to go closer to his home in GA. He was recruited as an option QB but never ran the option well and GSU is obviously not going to take him with Foster there. Perhaps Furman with Martin leaving?

Locally, Richmond may make the most sense to replace Tutt since I can't imagine he'd go anywhere where he'd have to compete too much for the starting role. UD has a two year transfer, a senior and a sophomore all competing for the job. JMU has Rascati for one more year. W&M's two QB's will be a junior and soph.

Also noted was the backup tailback JP Humber may also look to transfer.

GannonFan
November 29th, 2005, 11:04 AM
There's no way he comes to UD - too many QB's in the pipeline, he's an option guy, and UD doesn't typically go after QB's with only 1 year of eligibility. Richmond would be an odd choice - I know Tutt is gone after this year but they have two redshirt freshmen they were gung-ho on. Besides, I'm not sure they want to run an option offense either. With an interest to go South, and with no A10 teams in the South division looking like good possibilities, I would imagine he could be more SoCon or Big South bound, if an opportunity is there in either conference.

Fordham
November 29th, 2005, 11:11 AM
<obligatory Shawn Johnson reference>

putter
November 29th, 2005, 11:12 AM
Teams have to be careful about going after these one hit wonders!

AppGuy04
November 29th, 2005, 11:14 AM
didn't see much promise from him at UM, so you guys can have him

OL FU
November 29th, 2005, 11:15 AM
Announced today that Joel Statham, former starting QB at Maryland, will be leaving the team and looking to transfer to a I-AA for his final year of eligibility. No word on where he will go, but may try to go closer to his home in GA. He was recruited as an option QB but never ran the option well and GSU is obviously not going to take him with Foster there. Perhaps Furman with Martin leaving?
Locally, Richmond may make the most sense to replace Tutt since I can't imagine he'd go anywhere where he'd have to compete too much for the starting role. UD has a two year transfer, a senior and a sophomore all competing for the job. JMU has Rascati for one more year. W&M's two QB's will be a junior and soph.

It may have happened sometime in the past (I don't think so) but I would be real surprised to see us take a QB with only one year of eligibility,

DinoDex200
November 29th, 2005, 11:17 AM

I would guess Chattanooga or Western Carolina, since he's from near that area. Could easily end up at a D2 school like Valdosta, too.

The only reason Furman might be a possibility is because the QB he succeeded at Murray Co. HS was Billy Napier...

For as much of an offensive guru as Friedgen is, he hasn't had much success with QB's at Maryland.

89Hen
November 29th, 2005, 11:23 AM
didn't see much promise from him at UM, so you guys can have him
Well obviously he wasn't good enough to keep the starting job, but as far as showing promise....

Maryland Upsets No. 5 Florida State, 20-17
Joel Statham throws for 333 yards and runs for a score.

Oct. 30, 2004
By DAVID GINSBURG
AP Sports Writer

COLLEGE PARK, Md. (AP) - Florida State's dominance of Maryland ended with a highly improbable upset.

Joel Statham threw for 333 yards and ran for a score, and the Terrapins held on to beat the fifth-ranked Seminoles 20-17 Saturday.

Florida State (6-2, 4-2 Atlantic Coast Conference) came in with a six-game winning streak and a perfect 14-0 record against Maryland (4-4, 2-3), which had scored a total of 17 points in losing three straight conference games.

FightinBluHen51
November 29th, 2005, 11:35 AM
:eyeroll:

FightinBluHen51
November 29th, 2005, 11:36 AM
<obligatory Shawn Johnson reference>
:rolleyes:

89Hen
November 29th, 2005, 11:36 AM
It may have happened sometime in the past (I don't think so) but I would be real surprised to see us take a QB with only one year of eligibility,
There's a first for everything.

89Hen
November 29th, 2005, 11:38 AM
The only reason Furman might be a possibility is because the QB he succeeded at Murray Co. HS was Billy Napier...
Interstinggggg. We have a new leader in the clubhouse.

OL FU
November 29th, 2005, 11:49 AM
There's a first for everything.

that is true. We like most are taking more and more transfers. But I think it would have to be an extraordinary pick up for us to put some one in that position for one year.

fuEMO
November 29th, 2005, 11:49 AM
Not so fast about Furman… I see BL giving the reigns over to Gray. He better.

Napier is coaching at SC ST, I think that could be an interesting possibility.

AppGuy04
November 29th, 2005, 11:52 AM
Well obviously he wasn't good enough to keep the starting job, but as far as showing promise....

Maryland Upsets No. 5 Florida State, 20-17
Joel Statham throws for 333 yards and runs for a score.

Oct. 30, 2004
By DAVID GINSBURG
AP Sports Writer

COLLEGE PARK, Md. (AP) - Florida State's dominance of Maryland ended with a highly improbable upset.

Joel Statham threw for 333 yards and ran for a score, and the Terrapins held on to beat the fifth-ranked Seminoles 20-17 Saturday.

Florida State (6-2, 4-2 Atlantic Coast Conference) came in with a six-game winning streak and a perfect 14-0 record against Maryland (4-4, 2-3), which had scored a total of 17 points in losing three straight conference games.

this isn't the same FSU or ACC, but nice game nonetheless, less me rephrase, very few glimpses of promise :rotateh:

Fordham
November 29th, 2005, 12:01 PM
:rolleyes:

aw, c'mon, fightin' - that was strictly tongue in cheek. xazzx :beerchug:

slostang
November 29th, 2005, 12:05 PM
If he is an option QB and is looking for a good team, Cal Poly would be a good "option" for him.

89Hen
November 29th, 2005, 12:09 PM
this isn't the same FSU or ACC, but nice game nonetheless
Keep in mind, that was last year though. FSU was still 9-3 and won the Gator Bowl with the three losses being Miami, Florida and Maryland.

89Hen
November 29th, 2005, 12:11 PM
that is true. We like most are taking more and more transfers. But I think it would have to be an extraordinary pick up for us to put some one in that position for one year.
If you have two redshirt freshmen in the wings, this would be the perfect opportunity to buy one more year before having to turn it over to a youngster. Isn't Furman, and especially Lamb, known for grooming QB's? :)

Mustang OL
November 29th, 2005, 12:20 PM
If he is an option QB and is looking for a good team, Cal Poly would be a good "option" for him.

slostang-

I am personally very happy with Matt Brennan at quarterback. He has shown great promise since his first start at UC Davis. Since he is only a rs freshman, I don't think it would be a good idea to hinder his development by accepting a one year player to compete with him.

youwouldno
November 29th, 2005, 01:15 PM
SC St. is an interesting possibility. Furman won't take him, Gray and Sorrells are fine.

OL FU
November 29th, 2005, 01:18 PM
If you have two redshirt freshmen in the wings, this would be the perfect opportunity to buy one more year before having to turn it over to a youngster. Isn't Furman, and especially Lamb, known for grooming QB's? :)

Gray will be a junior next year.
Sorrells will be a redshirt freshman.

89Hen
November 29th, 2005, 01:22 PM
How about El Cid? They have no problem taking QB transfers.

fuEMO
November 29th, 2005, 01:29 PM
true…

OL FU
November 29th, 2005, 01:29 PM

But isn't Higgins more wide open passing that option oriented.

I am sure someone would take him. On Bobby Lamb bringing along QB's, I would say the "system" (got to be the most overused word for just about anything) is what the QB's learn while waiting for their playing time.

jsugamecock98
November 29th, 2005, 01:51 PM
JSU might make a good fit for him. Murrary County is not that far from JSU (around 3 hrs.) and this was Mullins last year. If he was recruited as an option QB, JSU might make a good fit for him since they lean towards the run.

89Hen
November 29th, 2005, 01:59 PM
But isn't Higgins more wide open passing that option oriented.
While recruited as an option QB, he didn't really run an option at Maryland. I've never seen an option QB throw for 330 yards in a game (although Foster had to be close last week at Texas State).

AppStateSVX
November 29th, 2005, 02:00 PM
For as much of an offensive guru as Friedgen is, he hasn't had much success with QB's at Maryland.

not exactly true, Scott McBrien, the QB that Statham was supposed to replace, did extremely well under Friedgen's system. The trouble for UMD football in general over the past couple seasons has been finding a replacement, since McBrien there hasn't really been a solid QB

texcap
November 29th, 2005, 02:02 PM
While recruited as an option QB, he didn't really run an option at Maryland. I've never seen an option QB throw for 330 yards in a game (although Foster had to be close last week at Texas State).

I think Foster only threw for 150 or so, but he did it with just 3 completions. I think he attempted about 7 passes in total.

FURMANFAN
November 29th, 2005, 02:06 PM
Tis the season. Someone brought up the possibility of Chris Leake transferring on the WCU board and maybe coming home to North Carolina for his final year. This is feasible because it's said that Meyer has told Tebow he could start year one if he comes to Florida. Interesting to speculate. Let me throw out a couple or three other guys that may look to 1-AA. Blake Barnes, four-star RS-fr at Georgia; Alex Mortensen, 3-star RS-fr at Arkansas; and Tribble Reese, 3-star RS-fr at Clemson. All were highly recruited guys at schools that have big time commitments for 2006 or in Clemson's case 2007. Now since all have three years of eligibility left the option of transfer to another 1A is there too. Let me make it perfectly clear that this is speculation on my part only. I have heard or read nothing about any of these young men looking elsewhere. As for Furman, I agree that it's unlikely that BL would bring in a guy for only one year. A talented rs-fr would be an entirely different matter.

WCU LawCat
November 29th, 2005, 02:22 PM
I truely believe that Western Carolina will be looking for a QB (and other transfers) for the coming season. Thats what we need! We would love to see him in Cullowhee!

Other possibilities for this kid include...

Wofford - Option QB..they could use one now
Chatty - no they have Antonio
Furman - double No...Sorrells father will not let it happen.
App - Maybe...but probably not
GSU - Depends on the new head coach. My guess is that the new guy will move those QB's he has to RB, CB or WR.
Elon - They could use a playmaker anywhere probably.
Coastal - would probably take him
SC St. - Might be a good fit unless they are going to start Russell Hemby next year

DinoDex200
November 29th, 2005, 02:32 PM
I truely believe that Western Carolina will be looking for a QB (and other transfers) for the coming season. Thats what we need! We would love to see him in Cullowhee!

Other possibilities for this kid include...

Wofford - Option QB..they could use one now
Chatty - no they have Antonio
Furman - double No...Sorrells father will not let it happen.
App - Maybe...but probably not
GSU - Depends on the new head coach. My guess is that the new guy will move those QB's he has to RB, CB or WR.
Coastal - would probably take him
SC St. - Might be a good fit unless they are going to start Russell Hemby next year

I could definitely see Western...if they had an offense this year, they might still be playing. No way he goes to App with Elder already the heir apparent to Richie. The only way Trey doesn't start is if Leak somehow transfers to App! :)

WCU LawCat
November 29th, 2005, 02:40 PM
This whole Leak thing is silly in my opinion. If he did want to transfer then it would be because of a serious desire to come home to NC...or a serious problem with the offense at Florida.

slostang
November 29th, 2005, 03:21 PM
slostang-

I am personally very happy with Matt Brennan at quarterback. He has shown great promise since his first start at UC Davis. Since he is only a rs freshman, I don't think it would be a good idea to hinder his development by accepting a one year player to compete with him.

I am also very happy with Matt Brennan at quarterback. He has led the Mustangs to a place no other Mustang QB has, a victory over Montana and a first round playoff win. Just thought you could never have to many quality QBs on your team. You are probalby right, it would hinder his development and he is getting better every week.

LBPop
November 29th, 2005, 03:47 PM

As a Maryland alum I have followed Statham. He had his moments at Maryland and "won" the job in 2004. His problem is the same as many QBs in Friedgen's system. He demands precise, error free football. In Maryland's system the QB must make the reads on the fly, make the right decision and never throw to guys in the other jersey. If at one time he was given the job by Ralph, he must be a bright guy and quick learner.

If someone thinks their team is ready to challenge for want of a QB, I would expect Statham to pick the offense up quickly and give someone in I-AA an excellent year.

WCU LawCat
November 29th, 2005, 03:56 PM
Again, this kid would be a good fit at Western Carolina I believe.

FU97
November 29th, 2005, 04:15 PM

Particularly when we have a rising junior and a stud freshman.

Cocky
November 29th, 2005, 10:39 PM
JSU is in the market for a transfer QB but they would rather have one with more than one year eligibility.

Reese at Clemson is from Alabama, but Furman gets more players from Mountain Brook High than JSU so he may go there and watch Sorrells from the bench.

Unless Sorrells has lost everything since High School, Furman isn't in the market for a QB. He has a very good chance to be a four year starter at FU.

Mustang Man
November 29th, 2005, 11:13 PM
I am also very happy with Matt Brennan at quarterback. He has led the Mustangs to a place no other Mustang QB has, a victory over Montana and a first round playoff win. Just thought you could never have to many quality QBs on your team. You are probalby right, it would hinder his development and he is getting better every week.

It would be foolish to mess with the freshman trio we have at Poly. This guy would be a better fit for Suck St.

FU97
November 30th, 2005, 08:55 AM
JSU is in the market for a transfer QB but they would rather have one with more than one year eligibility.

Reese at Clemson is from Alabama, but Furman gets more players from Mountain Brook High than JSU so he may go there and watch Sorrells from the bench.

Unless Sorrells has lost everything since High School, Furman isn't in the market for a QB. He has a very good chance to be a four year starter at FU.

I have a hard time seeing Sorrells beat out Gray at QB next year. Could happen, but I think Gray has played well enough this year to have a solid grasp on #1 next year. He single-handedly brought us back in the ****adel game. I would expect to see more option out of us next year as he's a very good runner in addition to having a cannon for an arm. Felton/Gray/Gipson will make a very formidable running combination for the Paladins next year.

Having Sorrells' dad as OC makes me doubt we'd be looking to bring someone in to take his spot.

Cocky
November 30th, 2005, 02:10 PM
My main points was, unless Sorrells has lost everything since high school, if someone can beat out Sorrells FU doesn't need another QB. I saw Sorrells in high school and he is a very good player. If Gray beats out Sorrells he must be a very capable QB.

gophoenix
December 5th, 2005, 03:38 PM

not sure we need another QB. We have 3 NC all-state QBs on the team, plus an East Carolina QB Transfer that we redshirted this year.

blur2005
December 5th, 2005, 05:26 PM
not sure we need another QB. We have 3 NC all-state QBs on the team, plus an East Carolina QB Transfer that we redshirted this year.
Seems to be bringing results...

AppGuy04
December 5th, 2005, 05:54 PM
Seems to be bringing results...

I was about to say........ xlolx